Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that is better than its Original Source

New
Apr 1, 2017 2:56 PM

Apr 2016
Well, did you bump into an Anime Adaptation and after watching you would say "better than than its manga or LN" something like that,.
IMO Magi is a fine example.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 1, 2017 2:58 PM

Mar 2016
I havnt seen the magi anime but the manga was really good

I hear are Gintama and usage drop are better as anime. I'd also say Hxh just because it improved the art
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2017 3:00 PM

Jun 2015
I find most music anime better than their source.
:)
Apr 1, 2017 3:03 PM

Feb 2013
desseroni said:
for some reason i find it hard to believe one could have a large sample size for music manga+anime franchises
Apr 1, 2017 3:03 PM
May 2016
I think Romeo X Juliet, which is "based" on the play, but makes a LOT of changes that makes it better than the original.
Apr 1, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
desseroni said:
That's a given. I feel like cooking series are better off as anime too.
Apr 1, 2017 3:05 PM

Dec 2014
Prison School works better as an anime. The pacing is so slow in the manga they were able to adapt 88 manga chapters in 13 anime episodes while missing almost nothing.
Apr 1, 2017 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
benjawanksta said:
Prison School works better as an anime. The pacing is so slow in the manga they were able to adapt 88 manga chapters in 13 anime episodes while missing almost nothing.
Pretty much. Also, the comedic scenes gains a lot more when they are voiced, and Prison School had a very good voice acting.
Apr 1, 2017 3:14 PM

Nov 2016
Shingeki no Kyojin has an better adaptation, great animation, character look cleaner, nice soundtrack. Overall it makes more fun.
Also sport anime like Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basket and Yowamushi Pedal are also better than their source. Pretty much for the same reasons stated above.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2017 3:15 PM

Apr 2016
Illyricus said:
benjawanksta said:
Pretty much. Also, the comedic scenes gains a lot more when they are voiced, and Prison School had a very good voice acting.

Agree, the voice acting in Prison School is very good, especially for Meiko and Gakuto.
Apr 1, 2017 3:17 PM

Sep 2014
Stein;s Gate was imo better than the visual novel. Also Fate, but only Ufotable's Unlimited Budget Work cause of the fight scenes, Deen is trash.
Apr 1, 2017 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
Comedy and music. Comedy doesn't hit as hard when you force it to move at your pace rather than it hit you unexpectedly. Music, obviously being able to hear the songs (and often the emotions behind them like in Nana, Beck, etc.) adds a massively important dimension.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Apr 1, 2017 3:19 PM

Apr 2016
Klad said:
desseroni said:
That's a given. I feel like cooking series are better off as anime too.

Yup, for the music genre it really requires sound that's why it's better to be animated.
For the cooking series also should be animated because, the food won't look delicious if it's b/w.lol
Apr 1, 2017 3:27 PM

Apr 2015
Hunter X Hunter for me is better in anime form.
Apr 1, 2017 3:31 PM

Jan 2015
One Piece

Yeah.......*flies away*
Apr 1, 2017 3:33 PM

Jan 2016
Parasyte, Hunter X Hunter (2011), Gintama and Usagi Drop.
Apr 1, 2017 3:43 PM

Oct 2014
I like SKET Dance adaptation more than manga because of awesome music and decent graphics. Unfortunately, last ~40% of manga were not adapted.
GSNK is better without 4-koma scene division in my opinion.
The art and music is awesome in Grimgar adaptation, and they added some quality slice-like scenes. Unfortunately, characters' personalities are pretty hard to understand and emphasize compared to LN, which has more emotional dialogues and monologues.
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! LN is pretty boring and doesn't have a "Everyone is a weirdo a bit" message which is my favorite part of the series. Many events are "rushed" -- their anime analogues is cluttered with very interesting detailes, which was born from script writers' ideas, not from the source.
Apr 1, 2017 3:51 PM
Jan 2017
One Piece only bc I am not a fan of the art for the manga, but I am in pre-time ski, so I have not yet seen if the other arc animation is as bad as people say it is.

Hitman reborn only because it finished in a good arc instead of ending underwhelming like in the manga. Also he score was god like.
Apr 1, 2017 3:52 PM

May 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist(2003) cause I'm a jaded elitist thathasgoodtaste
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 1, 2017 3:56 PM

Jun 2014
Lythelus said:

These. ESPECIALLY USAGI DROP FUCK THAT MANGA.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Apr 1, 2017 3:58 PM

Feb 2017
Haikyuu definitely is better as an anime. The manga is still good but the anime takes it to the next level.
AoT is trash and you're trash for liking it.
Apr 1, 2017 4:00 PM

Feb 2016
Berserk 2016 and Tokyo Ghoul
jgames111 said:
One Piece only bc I am not a fan of the art for the manga, but I am in pre-time ski, so I have not yet seen if the other arc animation is as bad as people say it is.

How much of the manga have you read? The art there is far better, MARINEFORD SPOILERS:
http://imgur.com/a/Xvbnt
Not to mention the kids friendly censoring, Dressrosa spoilers:
http://imgur.com/a/7sTOo

OT: Gintama, OPM, Mushishi, HxH
SpaghettiSpikeApr 1, 2017 4:07 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 1, 2017 4:04 PM

Jun 2015
Gintama, One Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter, Zetsuen no Tempest and... idk.

Apr 1, 2017 4:13 PM
Nov 2013
Louise_Francoise said:
Illyricus said:

Agree, the voice acting in Prison School is very good, especially for Meiko and Gakuto.

I would say the anime does a better job at building tension too.
Apr 1, 2017 4:35 PM
Jan 2017
Hyouka, K-On, Attack on Titan, Mob Psycho 100 (probably OPM too) and I guess comedies like Nichijou where a lot of the humor comes from the pacing or animation.
Apr 1, 2017 4:46 PM
Jan 2017
HamburgerSpike said:
Berserk 2016 and Tokyo Ghoul
jgames111 said:

How much of the manga have you read? The art there is far better, MARINEFORD SPOILERS:
http://imgur.com/a/Xvbnt
Not to mention the kids friendly censoring, Dressrosa spoilers:
http://imgur.com/a/7sTOo

Meh also, hate the fact that I need more than thirty word to post.
Apr 1, 2017 5:07 PM

Oct 2015
I feel like AOT might be superior to its manga only in terms of art...
I would say a lot of comedies go by this. Also, BACCANO imo.

~This world is a cruel place~
Apr 1, 2017 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Fullmetal Alchemist and Yowamushi Pedal are the best examples i can think off.

jgames111 said:
Hitman reborn only because it finished in a good arc instead of ending underwhelming like in the manga. Also he score was god like.

Both had quite underwhelming endings to be frankly honest, but at least the manga gave us more of a closure unlike the anime that simply ended there...
Apr 1, 2017 5:57 PM

Apr 2016
Does live action count? Because Oldboy is really good.
Apr 1, 2017 6:20 PM
Jan 2017
SeidouTZ said:
Fullmetal Alchemist and Yowamushi Pedal are the best examples i can think off.

jgames111 said:

Both had quite underwhelming endings to be frankly honest, but at least the manga gave us more of a closure unlike the anime that simply ended there...

Personally was not a fan of the ending in the manga, and felt the arc they ended in the anime left at a high note, but more power to you. Also the manga does not have the godly score of Tsuna awaken.
Apr 1, 2017 6:22 PM

Oct 2016
Extect said:

I hear are Gintama and usage drop are better as anime. I'd also say Hxh just because it improved the art

Blasphemy! Usagi Drop's manga is better (particularly the second half...) :p

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 1, 2017 6:33 PM

Apr 2015
Basically insert any moe anime ever here. Moe works better with colorful art and sound effects.
Apr 1, 2017 6:37 PM
Jun 2016
I always seems that anime are better because it shows the whole action of a character. It's easy to follow. But some adaptations are bad so we cannot do anything about that...
Apr 1, 2017 7:50 PM

Apr 2016
magi? nah man. as much as i love the anime, magi is not a special case. the manga is still way better than the anime. to me, an anime can only be better when they stay true to the original source because they have an advantage where the source doesn't, and that is the animation. you stick with the original source, then people would be like, "you don't have to read the manga. the anime is already accurate" instead of "read the manga, everything is explained there."

ANYWAYS, shokugeki no soma. foods and boobs are more fun to look at if they're in color. in the manga, i sometimes skip the food explanation because they usually only look like a black and white blob of mess.
Stranger213Apr 1, 2017 7:59 PM
Apr 1, 2017 7:58 PM

Mar 2017
I think FLCLs manga is pretty good but the anime just shows off its personality better.
Apr 1, 2017 10:23 PM

Mar 2016
_xDane_ said:
Extect said:

Blasphemy! Usagi Drop's manga is better (particularly the second half...) :p

I haven't read or watched it yet but from what I've heard people didn't like the second half
Also sorry for misspelling it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2017 10:32 PM
Feb 2017
gintama is better as anime than manga
Apr 1, 2017 10:59 PM

Nov 2014
Literally most music and sport anime IMO, given they do have the real music and some great movement/animation for the sport ones..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Apr 2, 2017 2:33 AM

Oct 2014
bastard_of_young said:
Lythelus said:

These. ESPECIALLY USAGI DROP FUCK THAT MANGA.

Usage drop manga was a lot better imo, they went more in depth
Apr 2, 2017 2:35 AM

May 2015
maplestory is leagues better than the trash outadated vidyay
@greensoap
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 2, 2017 2:40 AM

Oct 2016
One Punch Man ! Both are good but the Anime gives more excited feeling when fighting occurs
Apr 2, 2017 2:49 AM

Jun 2008
Every 4-koma anime adaptation is instantly better....seriously, look it up, every single one!
Apr 2, 2017 2:59 AM
Oct 2015
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Does live action count? Because Oldboy is really good.

not an anime though.. but the live action was amazing.
Apr 2, 2017 4:16 AM

Nov 2011
BattleVirgoTiger said:
One Punch Man ! Both are good but the Anime gives more excited feeling when fighting occurs

OPM being as good looking as it is seems like a meta joke in a way. The original webcomic is literal chicken scratch in terms of art, which is then converted into a much much better looking manga by a mangaka, which the anime then references and turns into these absurdly well-animated scenes.

I would probably be amused if that happened to a chicken scratch webcomic I published, at least.
Apr 2, 2017 4:24 AM

Sep 2009
There aren't often good anime of which I am familiar with the source material, but a few that I do know:
Druaga no Tou (The true "original" is a 32 bit game)
HxH, because the original art is pretty bad
Demi chan wa kita-something or the other because the original art is garbo
Naruto, because the original art is garbo
OPM, because the original art is garbo
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 2, 2017 4:28 AM

Nov 2012
MortalMelancholy said:

But the anime is an adaptation of the manga, and the art is godlike there.
Apr 2, 2017 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
I tried reading sakura trick since I liked the anime and yeah... It is definetely better than the manga.

Also I read a little of the mushishi manga (only one chapter tho) and honestly I think the anime might be better, it does not seem to change the content much but it adds amazing OST and a much better art.

It seems it depends, I would say if it does not alter the source material too much and adds much better artstyle (in terms of manga, if it adapts a novel the it kinda wins but then some people prefer imagination) and fitting ost it is almost guaranteed to be better.
Apr 2, 2017 4:29 AM

Sep 2009
SuperRed said:
MortalMelancholy said:

But the anime is an adaptation of the manga, and the art is godlike there.

The ORIGINAL original. ORIGINAL. Get it right.
Here, in all of my magnanimity, I will even give you a sample of the art:
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 2, 2017 4:30 AM
Jul 2018
Inuyasha and Jigoku Shoujo. I really don't like the manga style.
Apr 2, 2017 4:34 AM

Aug 2013
i guess chi-chan and gintama, in gintama part i think its because its animated and the voice acting is great and best of all the content are completely the same as the original source material.
i hate it when anime adaptation make unnecesary changes that no one ask that ultimately ruins the works. fine example is tokyo ghoul anime, so fucking shit to the point that i think ishida sui should sue those guys for ruining his great works
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

17 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
1 minute ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

6 by MedK001 »»
2 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

45 by IpreferEcchi »»
12 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Yesterday

25 by LightWorker »»
14 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

88 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.