Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 2, 2017 7:17 AM

Oct 2015
LAPX said:
I'm sure this is a question asked all the time in the forums but I really need advice. Typically I use Kissanime to watch anime. It's great an all but there are many flaws ranging from annoying pop-ups to being stuck using Openload on a certain episode to the website being shut down for weeks at a time. I'm aware you can use CrunchyRoll for free, but from what I've seen, if I want something free it would be easier to use Kissanime because free CrunchyRoll only has limited episodes at 480 resolution. From what I've seen though, premium CrunchyRoll has all the positive aspects of Kissanime (massive library, HD, etc.) without any of the negative aspects. A couple of the biggest issues with Kissanime though is the ads cause my laptop to overheat, especially the popup ads that come up when I pause. Removing ads would be the biggest and most useful purpose of getting CrunchyRoll. So anyone who has or have had CrunchyRoll Premium, would it be worth the money to switch over from Kissanime?

Haha who are we kidding; why would I pay actual money for a streaming service that doesn't even have a good catalogue of anime? Especially the classics?

I'd rather pay exorbitant prices for a dvd boxset of my favourite shows (and I do).
Apr 2, 2017 7:44 AM

Jun 2008
Sure.

If you still haven't figured out how to download or like to burn money....then YES!
Apr 2, 2017 7:51 AM

Aug 2015
I use AnimeLab because it's an Aus/nz legal anime streaming site(I'm Australian) . and it's got quite a few good titles.
Apr 2, 2017 10:04 AM

Apr 2016
Jikishi said:
I dont like Crunchyroll, because they only translate the series what are demanded. Sometimes i like them, but only for the good translate and the quality. But ill never pay them, until they translate more series that i like it.

They have almost all post 2k9 (or was it 2010?) series. Some good anime are missing, but that fluffy feel that you paid for something you enjoy is actually good. You can still watch the shows that ain't on CR on other sites.
Apr 2, 2017 10:05 AM

Feb 2015
Ehhh... I dunno man, there was a ruckus about their vid quality and stuff like that, so you should carefully about it or find articles about it if it was fixed or not...
Apr 2, 2017 10:25 AM

Oct 2014
Crunchyroll won't have a library nearly as big as Kissanime due to licensing limitations and the fact that Kissanime uploads anything you send at them as long as it's subbed. Last year, Crunchyroll downgraded the video quality of their backlog, with new videos being affected a week after coming out. It was a big loss in bitrate that made a good 480p DVD encode better than Crunchy's 1080p. They started pushing out the bitrate-starved video immediately for some users a couple weeks ago, leading to a huge outcry. They tried to backpedal to 24 hours, then to 48 hours, and then stopped doing that altogether for new release, but the damage was done for the backlog. They claim that they'll fix it but it'd take a Herculean effort to restore such a large quantity of videos, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Ergo, right now Kissanime is pretty much equal to the quality of Crunchyroll for anything that came out before three or four weeks ago (iirc). Kissanime loses quality because they have to re-encode the video for streaming, to add their watermark, and to hardcode the subs due to the player not supporting softsubs. That said, their reencode will still be more or less the quality of Crunchy's gutted videos. Kissanime also uploads blu-ray rips for shows that get enough popular demand due to the blu-rays being uncensored or having better animation, so that's a plus (even if it's inconsistent). You won't get actual blu-ray quality but it'll be uncensored and have corrected animation, and may have better subs depending on whether the fansubs are an improvement. If mostly care about seasonals, Crunchyroll should have most covered and you can feel better about yourself for supporting the industry (the actual effect of that being up to debate). I'd personally just torrent whatever release I wanted and buy some merch or blu-rays as collectibles every now and then.

tl;dr - If your only incentive to change is lack of ads, I'd just download a script that blocks them. By switching to Crunchy, you have a lot to lose (unless you do it as a means of supporting the industry and still use KA for whatever you're missing). Keep in mind that Crunchyroll's video settings, even for paying customers, are less than optimal (same goes for Funimation and Daisuki) compared to other legal streams such as Netflix. I believe Anime on Demand (Germany) currently offers the best, so if you're German that's probably a pretty good option.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Apr 2, 2017 10:26 AM
Mar 2015
It depends if you really want to support the industry or not. Crunchyroll is good for that, but the problems I have is that it doesn't have a big library like KA, video quality is not the best ( if you're a free user ), and they mess up the subs a lot. Buying BDs is better for supporting the industry if you can afford them though.

One thing many people need to know is that when anime studios create anime they create it for their native audience. So most, if not all, anime are created and targeted towards a Japanese audience, which really means that legal services like CR is not that important. Don't get me wrong, using CR and other legal services is a great way to support the industry, but it's not the only thing anime studios use to get money. The have their own ways to market and sell anime. In the end, U.S.A and other countries are just extra money that anime studios can get, but we're not their main target audience.
Apr 2, 2017 10:34 AM

Jul 2009
Crunchy is definitely worth it for me. Where I live, torrenting 1080p episodes can take an hour or more because of crappy wi-fi. Meanwhile, the videos in Crunchy rarely buffer for me even with slow connection speed.

I only use Kissanime for stuff that's out of Crunchy's reach.
Apr 2, 2017 12:24 PM

Nov 2011
CR earns 70+ milion dollars a year but can't be bothered to upgrade their servers, so people can actually use the site without getting an error. just saying..
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 2, 2017 1:28 PM

Jun 2015
Cirno9 said:
Jikishi said:
I dont like Crunchyroll, because they only translate the series what are demanded. Sometimes i like them, but only for the good translate and the quality. But ill never pay them, until they translate more series that i like it.

They have almost all post 2k9 (or was it 2010?) series. Some good anime are missing, but that fluffy feel that you paid for something you enjoy is actually good. You can still watch the shows that ain't on CR on other sites.

You are right, but i love the 2000's series and i don't wanna pay something they don't have, but i wanna help us to translate more and more anime, so, someday i will.
Thanks for the advisement.

Apr 2, 2017 1:44 PM
Sep 2011
I love to watch my anime free so not worth it
Apr 2, 2017 2:05 PM

Apr 2016
Jikishi said:
Cirno9 said:

You are right, but i love the 2000's series and i don't wanna pay something they don't have, but i wanna help us to translate more and more anime, so, someday i will.
Thanks for the advisement.

To each his own. I can effort 4€ a month for my entertainment. Since I don't care about older shows and only want my CGDCT shows CR comes in handy.
Apr 2, 2017 2:11 PM

Feb 2017
JustALEX said:
Sure.

If you still haven't figured out how to download or like to burn money....then YES!

There's also no need to download...
Apr 2, 2017 2:14 PM

Apr 2014
LAPX said:
A couple of the biggest issues with Kissanime though is the ads cause my laptop to overheat, especially the popup ads that come up when I pause.

You could always get adblock on your browser to remove all those annoying ads.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Apr 2, 2017 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, try it for 1 month. If you like it, then pay yearly or else watch it on free.
Apr 2, 2017 2:27 PM

Feb 2017
Currently watching Durarara!! x2 Ketsu dubbed on KissAnime. Does it make me feel shitty? Yes. Is it available on Crunchyroll? No.

However, I will never not pay for Crunchyroll. As many have stated, there is no better alternative than to pay for the service to directly support the industry. KissAnime is trash, and I only ever resort to it if there is no possible medium to watch it otherwise. For example DRR Ketsu is not on Crunchyroll (pay for), Netflix (also pay for) or out on blu-ray as of the time of writing.

So while I am currently using an illegal service, I would never advocate not paying for Crunchyroll either way. At such a small price, even for a student like me, there is no down side to supporting the industry.
Apr 2, 2017 4:44 PM

May 2015
No. Why pay for a service that only offers a very limited selection?

Apr 2, 2017 4:46 PM

May 2015
Killua-kun98 said:
Currently watching Durarara!! x2 Ketsu dubbed on KissAnime. Does it make me feel shitty? Yes. Is it available on Crunchyroll? No.

However, I will never not pay for Crunchyroll. As many have stated, there is no better alternative than to pay for the service to directly support the industry. KissAnime is trash, and I only ever resort to it if there is no possible medium to watch it otherwise. For example DRR Ketsu is not on Crunchyroll (pay for), Netflix (also pay for) or out on blu-ray as of the time of writing.

So while I am currently using an illegal service, I would never advocate not paying for Crunchyroll either way. At such a small price, even for a student like me, there is no down side to supporting the industry.

You're really not supporting anything.

Apr 2, 2017 4:54 PM

Nov 2011
Kittens-kun said:

when you pay CR for premium, part of that money goes directly to the anime providers.
how's that not supporting the industry?
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Apr 2, 2017 4:55 PM

May 2015
DreamingBeats said:
Kittens-kun said:

when you pay CR for premium, part of that money goes directly to the anime providers.

Yeah, pennies at most. You gonna say that's a lot?

Apr 2, 2017 4:59 PM

Aug 2009
I wouldn't touch kissanime with a ten foot pole, there are much better legal and illegal alternatives than kissanime. But nonetheless, crunchyroll is worth every penny IF you're interested in many anime and you can watch a show a month, OR you're interested in watching all the seasonal anime that come out on it. If you're more interested in mobile I like VRV which you can buy the full package for all of the channels and get crunchi and funi in it, but that's flawed in the way that you don't get ALL the shows. That's kind of a crappy trick they do saying you get '10,000 plus hours of everything' when really you're not getting their whole library, just select titles. So if you do wanna use VRV and don't care about the other six channels just subscribe to funi and crunchy through it. Only if you're interested in the two being on the same app. I like the easiness of use, but at some point i'm probably just going to drop the subscription and go back to crunchyroll.
Apr 2, 2017 5:01 PM

Nov 2011
Kittens-kun said:

maybe out of every 5 dollars, 2 goes to the anime providers. i don't know. a premium user supports the industry through CR, even if individually, they may not account for much. saying that a paying user of CR don't support the industry is factually wrong. (and even worse if you use it as an excuse to pirate the shows). "free" users also support the industry, but through watching ads instead (the ad experience in CR seems completely broken though, from the threads i've seen)

Apr 2, 2017 5:04 PM

May 2015
DreamingBeats said:
Kittens-kun said:

maybe out of every 5 dollars, 2 goes to the anime providers. i don't know. a premium user supports the industry through CR, even if individually, they may not account for much. saying that a paying user of CR don't support the industry is factually wrong. (and even worse if you use it as an excuse to pirate the shows). "free" users also support the industry, but through watching ads instead (the ad experience in CR seems completely broken though, from the threads i've seen)

You're supporting it, but to such a small degree that it really doesn't amount to much. I'm not going to pay for it because the service is ass. You can say I'm just a pirate with no morals, but I really don't care.

Apr 2, 2017 5:14 PM

Aug 2009
Kittens-kun said:
DreamingBeats said:

It's more than fking downloading them illegally... Pennies, no, they probably get money per view on each episode, which might be pennies but that's totally worth it in the grand scheme of things, when people were previously watching them without paying anything. It's also a cheap way for them to not really have to do anything for people to buy the merchandise. Crunchyroll broadcasts, and subs them, and advertises some of the merchandise and the anime companies just rake in passive profit for every year they sign an anime on contract to be on crunchyroll. Just do some research dude, http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/
Apr 2, 2017 5:15 PM
Feb 2017
Bourmegar said:
5 dollars a month for unlimited 1080P?

Worth it!

However, CR only has recent popular shows and not even all of them due to licensors having their own stream services.
Plus Dubs are extremely rare on CR.

why would you pay any money these days to watch anime when you can torrent most of it or watch it for free?
Apr 2, 2017 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
For me? No.
It doesn't have the anime that I want to watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 2, 2017 5:18 PM

May 2015
dakotasapphire said:
Kittens-kun said:

It's more than fking downloading them illegally... Pennies, no, they probably get money per view on each episode, which might be pennies but that's totally worth it in the grand scheme of things, when people were previously watching them without paying anything. It's also a cheap way for them to not really have to do anything for people to buy the merchandise. Crunchyroll broadcasts, and subs them, and advertises some of the merchandise and the anime companies just rake in passive profit for every year they sign an anime on contract to be on crunchyroll. Just do some research dude, http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

Did you read the part that said only 10% of the sites visitors actually have a subscription?

Apr 2, 2017 5:20 PM

May 2015
dakotasapphire said:
Kittens-kun said:

And even if it did support the industry in a big way, I still wouldn't pay for it.

Apr 2, 2017 5:21 PM

Nov 2011
Kittens-kun said:
dakotasapphire said:

Did you read the part that said only 10% of the sites visitors actually have a subscription?

seems like you missed the bolded part

That means more than 90 percent never give Crunchyroll any money. That’s not a problem for Gao or the anime industry, however. The ads free members see make up the difference, so publishers earn just as much as they would with subscribers.

also, CR has over 1 million paid subscribers so that article is really dated.

Apr 2, 2017 8:07 PM

Aug 2016
I use Gogoanime. You close 1 ad before watching the episide and that's it. You're done. No popup adds unless it's using Openload, which it hardly does. I rarely have problems with it and it's completely free.
Apr 2, 2017 8:12 PM

Jun 2007
blueswizzle said:
It depends if you really want to support the industry or not. Crunchyroll is good for that, but the problems I have is that it doesn't have a big library like KA, video quality is not the best ( if you're a free user ), and they mess up the subs a lot. Buying BDs is better for supporting the industry if you can afford them though.
Yet Kiss uses the exact same subs for almost every show CR streams (since Kiss streams = re-encodes of HorribleSubs streamrips from CR/Funi/etc. in most cases), and there doesn't appear to be a mass revolt among Kiss users against those subs. Or in other words, people don't seem to have a problem with CR subs as long as they're not asked to watch any ads or pay any subscription fees.

Sure, Kiss may have a bigger library (easy to do when you're not paying for licensing, translation, or video bandwidth costs!), but the vast majority of that is old/random shows that get a few thousand or maybe tens of thousands of views at best, while the popular and legally-available new/seasonal anime get millions or tens of millions of views. So it's pretty clear what the masses are going to KA for, unless they're streaming Dragon Ball Super on Kiss to protest Sister Princess ~ Repure not being available on CR or something.
Apr 2, 2017 8:28 PM

Mar 2017
I've never owned a crunchyroll subscription myself, but if its the annoying pop-up ads that deter you from using kissanime, and the fact that you're sometimes given no choice but to use openload on there; I would recommend using 9anime.to, alongside using adblock. You won't get any ads whatsoever, and from what I've seen, their own servers are much more fast smooth in quality, in comparison to kissanime.

Apr 2, 2017 9:16 PM

May 2012
How many of you complaining about the size of CR's catalog have a subscription to funimation.com or theanimenetwork.com? Both those services have dozens of older shows. But I'm guessing you don't subscribe to those either.
Apr 2, 2017 10:33 PM

Oct 2013
If you have the money to spare and watch a lot of airing/recent anime, do it to support the industry. If not, stick with torrenting or KA but also save money for DVDs and official merch. At least do one or the other. I don't have CR, but I'm planning to blow a bunch of money at Anime Expo this year on anime crap.
Apr 2, 2017 10:48 PM

Sep 2011
Intelos said:
Its pretty darn worth it, only 5 dollars for 1080p.
It's not even 1080p though. It's an upscaled video. I still can't believe people still think that CR 1080p is true 1080p.

And no, CR is a bag of dicks. I download and support the industry by buying BDs.
Apr 2, 2017 10:49 PM

Apr 2014
It's not a problem if you don't mind the fact you're paying for something you could be getting for free and in better quality.
Apr 2, 2017 11:00 PM

Aug 2010
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Do one thing, pay for the premium Crunchyroll subscription, but..... Watch all your anime on kissanime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's literally what I did for over a year haha. I had CR premium bit seldom used it as I always used kissanime or gogoanime.
GangsterCat said:
jokes on you asian dvd store is all very cheap internet rip
my father just brought home 50 movie DVD yesterday lol

In my country buying crunchy is the only option to somehow support the industry, although half of the shows are region blocked. Kind of why I got fed up and unsubscribed from premium.
We can't really buy DVDs or BluRays here as they are unreasonably expensive on our currency.
So I had to once again don my Pirate dress.
Apr 2, 2017 11:04 PM

Feb 2015
Yes, but only if you want to support the industry.
But for me, it goes like this: why pay for something that I can get for free and at an even better quality?
Apr 3, 2017 1:48 AM

Nov 2014
Personally I'd rather spend 5$/month on merch and get my anime from "illegal" sources. This way I support industry in same (or even better) way, get better anime quality AND have some merch for the same price. Pure win.
Apr 3, 2017 6:51 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Is it worth it? Absolutely. Pay for an account with every legal anime/manga service available in your country, that's what I do. A majority of anime might not get licensed but your money would encourage companies to license more.
Apr 3, 2017 7:23 AM

Mar 2017
i think no. ive never used crunchyroll, and still able to find all the anime i want to watch from other sites like kissanime, animejet, and aniinkz.
but obviously when it comes to money it all depends on how much you have. I don't have much so I don't use it.
Apr 3, 2017 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
SeijiSensei said:
How many of you complaining about the size of CR's catalog have a subscription to funimation.com or theanimenetwork.com? Both those services have dozens of older shows. But I'm guessing you don't subscribe to those either.

I can't even open Funimation without a VPN...

And they wouldn't accept my European credit card anyway.

PS: I've been buying all of the Vampire D novels on the US Amazon Kindle Store. Those guys have 0 issues taking my money.
Apr 3, 2017 7:43 AM

Jul 2016
It's absolutely worth it. It's less than the cost of a fast food meal per month. It's not expensive despite how some pirates act like to afford a Crunchyroll account you need to sell your organs on the black market. As much pirates like to try to justify using sites like KissAnime, it does hurt the industry.

If you aren't in the US, though, I can't really speak for you. I hear their library is a lot more lacking outside of the US.

Anime has never been cheaper or easier to obtain legally than it is now. I can honestly think of no justifiable reason to pirate anime in this day and age unless the show in question is not legally available in your country or the series has been discontinued making used DVD prices ridiculous.
itsTomokocchiApr 3, 2017 7:46 AM
Apr 3, 2017 7:57 AM

May 2012
_Lightsbane said:
SeijiSensei said:

PS: I've been buying all of the Vampire D novels on the US Amazon Kindle Store. Those guys have 0 issues taking my money.

You do realize that things like regional restrictions are not the choice of the distributors but of the content producers? Services like Crunchyroll typically cannot get worldwide rights, but must negotiate rights for every country they serve. Oftentimes people here write as if they think companies like CR and Funi are acting malevolently. Trust me, they'd like to take your money, too, but the Japanese production committees may not let them.
Apr 3, 2017 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
SeijiSensei said:
_Lightsbane said:

You do realize that things like regional restrictions are not the choice of the distributors but of the content producers? Services like Crunchyroll typically cannot get worldwide rights, but must negotiate rights for every country they serve. Oftentimes people here write as if they think companies like CR and Funi are acting malevolently. Trust me, they'd like to take your money, too, but the Japanese production committees may not let them.

Of course I know. And I also know I won't be subscribing until the service is worth my money.
My preferred method of supporting the industry these days is buying figures and manga/novels. Can't region-lock those.
Apr 3, 2017 12:58 PM

Apr 2015
I was with the same problem, I mean, to have Crunchyroll or not, and I came to the conclusion that is not worth it, I can save that money for others things and watch anime elsewhere, not on kissanime though
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Apr 3, 2017 1:38 PM

Oct 2015
At this point it's hard to say whether it's worth being at the mercy of a terrible server.
Apr 3, 2017 2:22 PM

Mar 2014
>Paying for anime
>In the current year
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 3, 2017 2:27 PM
Jun 2016
I just got to use CrunchyRoll. I must say that the quality of the video is really good. There are no pop up but there are commercial in every video. It might be annoying to wait but it is worth it. The other thing is that you cannot watch newest episodes if you don't have the premium version. If you're gonna get it, then I definitely recommend it ;)
Apr 3, 2017 2:33 PM

Nov 2015
I'm not using it, but kissanime hurts anime , while crunchyroll supports it , so I'm gonna use it soon
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 10 hours ago

44 by _FRB_ »»
9 seconds ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 8 hours ago

27 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

46 by LostSpectre »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

90 by LostSpectre »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.