Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 3, 2017 2:35 PM

Oct 2014
Tyrel said:
Intelos said:
Its pretty darn worth it, only 5 dollars for 1080p.
It's not even 1080p though. It's an upscaled video. I still can't believe people still think that CR 1080p is true 1080p.

And no, CR is a bag of dicks. I download and support the industry by buying BDs.

There should be some sort of readme on this site that dispels common misconceptions, such the upscale and million Crunchyroll myths.

Relevant to this thread:

-Crunchy's 1080p is a shitty upscale. You're much better off watching 720p. Since KissAnime (and most other streaming sites) uploads their 1080p releases, if you try to watch at 720p you'll get a downscale of the 1080p, meaning that if the 720p version were uploaded instead, you'd get better quality. Not that it really matters due to the compression for streaming. In general anime is produced in 720p so the bloat from upscaling to 1080p isn't worth the increase in resolution, unless it's a professional blu-ray upscale (and even then YMMV).

-Crunchy doesn't exactly offer true HD due to offering horribly compressed videos.

-Money from Crunchyroll goes to the production committees for the anime you're watching. Studios are seldom a top player on the production committee. Very little of the money actually goes back to studios. Sure, it goes to the industry but mostly the bean counters. Money from blu-ray sales goes through licencors and the production committee but a larger slice of the pie actually reaches the studios iirc, though don't quote me on that since I'm not entirely sure.

-As a broad rule of thumb for the quality of rips (I imagine it's variable but this is from what I've seen): (Uncompressed up to well-compressed) Blu-ray > Netflix > DVD (lesser resolution though) > Amazon > Anime on Demand > Crunchyroll > Daisuki = HDTV rips from a good channel > Shitty compression Crunchyroll = Funimation = HDTV from a bad channel. I don't know where The Anime Lab ranks but it's probably somewhere between Crunchyroll and Daisuki. Obviously a bad encoded blu-ray or DVD won't rank as well there.
Toa_of_GallifreyApr 3, 2017 2:58 PM
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Apr 3, 2017 4:09 PM

Apr 2017
Yes CR has the good popular anime so it filters out the niche stuff.
Apr 3, 2017 6:52 PM

Jun 2016
romagia said:
i suggest you look up Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and install this script that cleans Kissanime
https://gist.github.com/Juici/4f9ce7f72790337567b4c93f76589b79

or you can just right click -> View Video/Open Video in New Tab on the episodes so you can see just the video and not the rest of the site

as for whether CR is worth that's really up for you to decide..
it has a 1 month trial i think you should try that first

Personally, if you're using chrome, then the extension "Essentials for Kissanime" works absolute wonders. It's also very simple to use

If you're not using chrome, then.... why aren't you using chrome?

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Apr 4, 2017 5:19 AM

Apr 2016
I feel like a dick for holding my beliefs of saying no, as I've had problems with Crunchyroll for years, like the ads they play, Seems a bit petty, but I can't stand their choice of ads, originally the problem is that they would play 3 of the same ads before getting back to anime, and that was annoying, now my problem is that "Hey ever heard of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood" they advertise the same 5 popular anime, it gets boring, if they had variety in their ads I wouldn't be upset about it. Besides that I dislike their lackluster selection. I keep seeing people saying "Their selection is big" to me it isn't. they never have anything I am in the mood for, the last time I used Crunchyroll was just so I can watch Hunter X Hunter. The reason I stick to the sinking ship that is KissAnime is because I have nothing as good as KissAnime to jump ship to. Also I can't stand their player, over the years of trying to use their player I've had numerous problems like I can't leave the player paused so I don't have to deal with buffering.
Apr 4, 2017 5:23 AM

May 2016
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Do one thing, pay for the premium Crunchyroll subscription, but..... Watch all your anime on kissanime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You have a point there since Crunchyroll doesn't have more anime than Kissanime.
Apr 4, 2017 5:29 AM

Feb 2016
I will buy ANiUTa before I buy CR (Which I probably will buy. That app is literally what I always wanted when it came to music)
Apr 4, 2017 10:04 AM

Aug 2009
Kittens-kun said:
dakotasapphire said:

It's more than fking downloading them illegally... Pennies, no, they probably get money per view on each episode, which might be pennies but that's totally worth it in the grand scheme of things, when people were previously watching them without paying anything. It's also a cheap way for them to not really have to do anything for people to buy the merchandise. Crunchyroll broadcasts, and subs them, and advertises some of the merchandise and the anime companies just rake in passive profit for every year they sign an anime on contract to be on crunchyroll. Just do some research dude, http://otakujournalist.com/where-your-crunchyroll-dollars-really-go-an-interview-with-the-ceo/

Did you read the part that said only 10% of the sites visitors actually have a subscription?

Did you read it was made four years ago, crunchyroll has well over a million subscribers! And all of its users are making just as much contribution by watching their videos through a lot of ads.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/02/09-1/crunchyroll-surpasses-over-one-million-paid-subscribers-details-daily-giveaways-to-celebrate
Apr 4, 2017 11:26 AM

Jan 2017
In Germany it's not -.-

Is it possible to bypass it with a VPN? That's not possible with Netflix anymore for instance..
Jun 30, 2017 6:16 AM

Sep 2014
Kiss anime barely works on my ps4, and 9anime crashes the internet browser both used to work perfectly before the whole attack XD also going on those websites without any protection or add-ons as of late is just inviting viruses and malware. Just subbed to crunchy roll again, can't handle the bullshit on kissanime anymore way to many issues these last few months. Kissanime has really gone to the dogs.
Jun 30, 2017 6:18 AM
Nov 2016
I have crunchy for convenience. When I wanna watch on my PS4 or while in bed I'll stream something rather than using my usual downloads.

Jun 30, 2017 6:21 AM

Jul 2009
jedi4peace said:
In Germany it's not -.-

Is it possible to bypass it with a VPN? That's not possible with Netflix anymore for instance..

Nope, but some Chrome apps can help you out with that.
Jun 30, 2017 3:27 PM

Feb 2008
Crunchyroll is what got me beck into anime tbh. It's very easy to watch it on tv while I'm doing something else, and I like their library despite it being limited. But, truth be told, I enjoy watching my anime on Crynchyroll more than downloading it to view on my laptop later. Besides, its actually legal so that's another bonus.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jul 1, 2017 2:12 AM

Nov 2011
The one black mark against streaming in general in the need for internet connection. If you don't have a strong/consistent one, or if you're on the road a lot then needing internet (or worse, endlessly expensive cellular data) is a huge pain in the butt. If a site like Crunchyroll let paid subscribers download episodes to play through their app later, that would be a beautiful thing. Throw in the ability to use your own subs with said theoretical offline player and they would kill two birds with one stone.

Aside from that there's not a whole lot else to say against it. On the free side the video ads aren't that bad, I guess; no worse than watching a TV show as it airs, at least. I just wish the above mentioned DVR analogue was a thing for premium. I think it would convince more pirates to go legal too-- at least for those who really do believe they're not doing so out of principle.

I'm currently thinking I'll try their premium free trial next month for my upcoming Shugo Chara! watch, in any case.
Jul 1, 2017 2:21 AM

Apr 2013
i've had prem for two years now. i think it's worth it, because i use it really often. and it makes me feel less guilty about exploiting underpaid animators. like ya, most of the money doesn't make it back to them, but it's still better than watching it completely for free.
all my friends leech off my account though lmao, that's how it's different than netflix. crunchy doesn't limit the number of people that can use the account at the same time.
sutoriJul 1, 2017 2:24 AM
Jul 1, 2017 8:29 AM

Apr 2013
I let my CR subscription lapse about 6 months ago (maybe longer). At the time, I was watching about 8 series a season and half weren't even available there. However, the current state of KA is just unwatchable for me. I also don't watch as much right now. I only watched 4 shows this season and was just so fed up with KA that I renewed my CF premium sub a month ago. I might try some of the suggestions in this thread though so I can still watch some of the stuff CR doesn't have.
Jul 1, 2017 9:16 AM

Jun 2015
It's worth it if you watch seasonals.
Otherwise, nah.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

35 by Ratris_Decision »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

37 by ChrisBlitz »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

93 by PostMahouShoujo »»
12 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
59 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.