Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2017 6:00 AM

Nov 2010
I know a majority of people prefer Dragon Ball Z to the original Dragon Ball anime, but more surprising is that so many people only have watched the sequel.

Now I know the reason is that many countries aired DBZ and not DB on TV. And I guess this is the reason more people have DBZ on their lists.

But do people nowadays who decide to watch Dragon Ball also skip the original and go straight to the sequel, because it's the more well-known one?
Wouldn't that be very confusing? The DBZ-anime doesn't really introduce the characters nor the world.
Apr 12, 2017 9:30 AM
Oct 2010
I would like to know too why ppl skip Dragon Ball, and just start on Z.. There's even a remastered version of the series, so one can watch it in better quality (if that's the reason). DB is very essential for so many things so it shouldn't be skipped. It's not boring if that's what you think!
Seeing Gokuu grow up is really fun! :)
May 4, 2017 10:39 AM

Mar 2016
When I start searching what to watch, if DB or go straight for DBZ, ppl said that I should go straight to DBZ because DB and DBZ are very different animes in characters and powerscaling and even though that they just recommend DBZ and watch DB and don't regret it! It was actually a good show and presented very well the world that we saw in Z... So, I recommend DB first :D
May 4, 2017 10:42 AM

Dec 2015
I didn't have any problem with character introductions, yeah I missed a lot but since I had already finished DBZ when I found out that there was a prequel to it, I thought there was no point in seeing it since I'd already seen Z, and also DB is freaking long xD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 4, 2017 11:03 AM

Jun 2010
There is no problem with understanding the DBZ story without having seen DB. Anyway I saw DB first.
May 28, 2017 7:38 AM
May 2017
Ppl who skip a whole season are lazy af. I started watching the new jojo first and thwn went back to the first season because i wanted to know what the story was behind all the characters. It is the same with db. I started dbz in cantonese and then started watching db when it was broadcasted on tv. I dont know why american studios skipped that part. Ppl always compare dbs with dbz which is annoying because db and dbs are very similar. Dbs is just going back to the comedic roots of db. Dbz is not a typical akira work. Akira has always liked to put a lot of humor into his work. Ppl need to understand and respect the author. Those who get mad are those who are mad at the author for ruining their characters and they even dare to threaten the author to change it. Pathetic....
May 30, 2017 1:21 AM

May 2017
It's a matter of tastes I guess. Maybe some people don't care about the story and want to plunge into action immediately. Of course, you can't get to see how characters which are now in DBZ met, gained power etc. and it loses some charm IMO. Also there are lots of characters, scenes or references to the DB which, if you haven't seen, can be a little confusing. But DBZ makes sure to throw some flashbacks so yeah...
I personally watched DB first and didn't regret it, but I'm also a fan of classics so... I recommend people watching DB and skip the fillers if they are in a hurry.
Anakat_samaMay 30, 2017 1:24 AM
The mindfucker.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 226 Discussion

11 by Berry-Vodka »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 225 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 224 Discussion

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 223 Discussion

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 3:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.