Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2008 6:10 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, this anime has plumbed new depths of depressing tales of abuse and political intrigue!

I didnt think it was possible to find someone worth hating more than the monkey dude in the sword and Sugimoto, but that poor girl's immortal harlot takes the biscuit. SHE MUST DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH, PLEASE.

Silly ex-princess needs a couple slaps too, even if she doesnt deserve what she's been going through too.

I really hate the entire concept of one person being in control of others, and Confucianism in general I suppose (I'm more of a Chuang Tsu kinda guy) so I just want Yoko to reform the hell ouf of Kei or something, lol.

Nice twist at the end with the assassination attempt.

EDIT: Fixed typo. :)
BeatnikMar 9, 2008 6:32 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 9, 2008 6:14 PM

Nov 2007
Well, I favorited Shoukei for a reason, so there you go. :D

Show's much more mytho-Confucian than philosophical-Confucian, at any rate.
Aug 12, 2009 8:55 AM

Jun 2008
Didn't really expect the "assassination ".
Jan 10, 2011 10:17 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, I've never watched an anime with so many annoying/loathsome/hatred-instilling characters.
Aug 22, 2011 4:12 PM

Sep 2008
Uh, whoa. That ex-princess - Shoukei?... I don't know. I want to feel bad for her, but I can't. She's just not as easy to pity as Suzu, who is all "Woe is me" anyway. Suzu's fantasies about Youko are borderline creepy, in my opinion, ahah. I guess you can't blame her, with all the "abuse" she's suffered at the hands of that crazy bat that is her mistress or whatever.

Definitely a very interesting twist at the end. Uikyou seemed like she had something else she wanted to say, though, or as though she wanted to explain her reasons... and didn't get a chance. I wonder what she would have said? Or if it even matters in the long run. Guess we will find out eventually...
Feb 11, 2012 1:50 AM
Jul 2008
Wait, she was a Sennin, how could she die from arrows?
Apr 29, 2012 7:42 AM

Jan 2010
violent episode
Sep 23, 2012 7:11 AM

Feb 2010
It's so captivating to watch this story unfold.
Jan 8, 2014 4:13 PM

Apr 2010
I definitely wanted to know what Uikyou was going to say. Youko could've done something about it.

Mar 5, 2014 12:59 AM

Jul 2008
RevyBarrage said:
Wait, she was a Sennin, how could she die from arrows?

Sennin don't age or get sick, but can still die via stabbing, shooting, etc. Its hard to know who to trust in this court.
Mar 26, 2014 5:54 AM

Aug 2013
I though Sennin can only die if they're beheaded or cut in half. At least that's what the king of En said O__o
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 26, 2014 10:26 AM

Nov 2011
Holy motherfucking ass

Politics and poverty

The play between the two is executed so WOW-ly despite being so colourful and shit. It all started out rather shallow, making us think that it's all going to be master-servant, ruling kingdoms, fighting big wars and whatever else it made us think.

NO

We truly see how fucking hard politics is for one who does not know anything about it. In S.A.C., it's assumed you would have basic knowledge and that you'd know every term and understand every explanation (which of course is on an entirely different level already). But here, goddamn fuck. It's like a mix of Ginei and S.A.C. thrown all the way into ancient China.

Juuni Kokuki ain't as petty as I thought it was.

Anyone can turn on you at any moment without you knowing. And it is shown here absolutely splendiddddddddddddddddddddddddly.

Yeah, fuckin pronounce that "ddddddd." You'll be busting your balls as hard as your brain will be to find out that there really is more to Juuni Kokuki with every ep.

Still disappointed to know that the OP and ED will never change. AT LEAST change the animation sequence for the OP. The ED is bad enough and I can't bear to listen to it.

Beatnik said:
I really hate the entire concept of one person being in control of others

EXACTLY WHY I HATE REINHARD

MAN, FUCK THE EMPIRE
zetsu_shorenJul 26, 2014 10:31 AM
Jan 30, 2015 5:30 AM

Jan 2012
lol how many administrator she have,nice fight at the end.btw what she was trying to say

Nov 9, 2015 8:19 PM

Dec 2013
xchee said:
I though Sennin can only die if they're beheaded or cut in half. At least that's what the king of En said O__o

That's correct. However, the General that showed up near the end stated explicitly that the swords he threw on the floor could kill Sennin, so it stands to reason that they could also craft arrows that could do the same.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Nov 14, 2015 2:38 PM

Nov 2013
I hate the old bag and the other villagers. They are self-righteous and arrogant pricks. Her father did horrible things, but she is not responsible for his crimes.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 18, 2015 6:08 PM

Feb 2013
You're all fired!
^ is what Youko should be thinking instead of letting herself get pushed around and manipulated.
Jan 1, 2017 4:26 AM

Aug 2014
not feeling very sympathetic for the blue hair ex-princess, what she said was super ignorant first of all and I would understand why the towns people are so angry. Her father committed mass genocide and they had nothing as an apology or anything. anyways, this show is kinda weird. it got interesting but im losing interest again.
Xtina is my mother!
Jan 1, 2017 4:28 AM

Aug 2014
also, that uikyo or wahtever wasnt even bleeding..?
Xtina is my mother!
Jun 20, 2017 2:40 AM

Oct 2012
That was some fucked up episode
Parents' sins are not children's sins
They're not the same, you can't blame what someone else did to others
That's just like saying you're the one that just eat, so everyone else must be full too
I'm sorry, but when that kid said
Did her mom deserve that? No
Did the daughter deserve it? Yes, very
Just like everyone else who lost their families.. They deserved to lose everything in life if they behaved like that
Because you just treat someone that didn't do awful thing like that
Now she'll do awful thing because of your awful doings ( ≧Д≦)( ≧Д≦)

I guess you'll never know the truth if you guys kill the traitors
(-‸ლ)
I think that was some kind of reverse psychology.. probably?
Rayl1ghtJun 20, 2017 2:52 AM
"Signature removed"
Sep 29, 2019 10:03 PM

Jul 2016
holy shit LOL keiki just got ptsd in that one moment from youko's meltdown. poor man, he needs to retire. this is enough. he's already suffered too much. ((peace out))

juuni kokuki being an anime based off of novels is really showing itself now, a large amount of the episode is now spent with more dialogue. which, initially i disliked. there is so much politics and governing. but now i'm trying to tune it out alone and take everything for face value (it goes out one ear to the other like a drone) to just worry for youko. if she had someone she was able to trust... she has the three advisors, keiki, the emperor of en and his kirin. but the three advisors are not directly involved in politics. keiki is... stoic and emotionally unavailable. he can only help so much, and though she does listen to him, even his opinions can mean nothing at times. the emperor of en and his kirin come around from time to time, but whenever they discuss matters, youko sugarcoats it. he isn't obligated to help her due to him already handling his own empire and has been for over 500 years, it isn't his responsibility. so who can she turn to? she doesn't even know if agreeing with or allowing the ministers to do as they please is for the best of her people or not. what she wants in a kingdom, *her* kingdom, is unclear. even uikyou was in on a plan to assassinate youko... she must become stronger and prove she can withstand but will not permit treason, i have hope that she will continue to grow into this type of person. a record of 90 years for a female ruler isn't that impressive when you compare it to the male rulers, she can beat that.
Oct 4, 2019 3:59 AM
Oct 2017
That ending was grimey, lit her ass up! The Queen should definitely woman up & get her boots on the ground despite her kirins advice. Hell, even some fly overs.
Oct 30, 2019 11:10 AM

May 2015
Meh, she didnt get headshoted.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 12, 2020 12:12 PM

Jul 2009
It's hard being Youko, people are already trying to kill her.
Suzu is stupid, she should have left the evil lady already
Aug 25, 2021 10:45 AM

Nov 2016
It's ironic how Shoukei and Youko almost got killed due to their cluelessness. In this world it's definitely a sin, especially if you're in a high position. You simply can't afford it. Shoukei is unapologetic at that. Her sheltered life in bliss created a monster in a sense. One Piece did something similar later with the Tenryubito.

Youko is aware of her flaws, yet she still lacks experience, if she knew more about her subjects and advisers, the situation wouldn't have escalated.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2022 9:39 AM
Nov 2020
i dont sympathise with the princess at all :// constantly tries to rid herself of any responsibility by claiming ignorance- but when questioned about her father acts she states that he was doing the right thing and it was the citizen's fault... until they give her an example that is too hard for her to take and she begs mercy again. not only that but she seems to be power-envy of Youko? she wants her youth and royalty back? I could have sympathised if she genuinely knew nothing of her father's actions and recognises that he was wrong- but she doesn't do that- and on top of that she acts high and mighty/thinks her experiences are greater than the people around her. honestly
Aug 12, 2022 3:21 AM

Sep 2018
Things are heating up and getting intense now, great episode.
Dec 26, 2023 4:56 PM

Apr 2017
I'm starting to see how Youko and Shoukei are similar. Both of them use ignorance to avoid responsibility.

"That was my father's doing, not mine! I can't be blamed because I didn't know anything!" - Shoukei

"Well, I can't make a decision because I'm not from this world! I don't know anything, so I just leave it up to others!" - Youko

Both of them are also unapologetic about their ignorance as well. I will say that part of the reason that both are so ignorant, is because they're trapped within palace walls. King En is knowledgeable because he's lived life as a general amongst the people. He understands the suffering of the people, and he's knowledgeable about the other kingdoms. Youko needs to leave the palace and explore the world. She can't just stay cooped up in the palace all day. She also needs to clean house.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Yesterday, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Yesterday, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.