Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 28, 2017 1:31 AM
Reviewer

Apr 2012
I'm looking for some of the most unpopular and underrated shows in the anime genre. Preferably something that is complex and thought provoking.

If it's super popular, it's not a hidden gem.

Something that you enjoyed a lot and feel like should be more highly rated. Something that only a few anime chosen ones know about.

It would take too much time to go through my list and check to see which ones I haven't seen, so you probably shouldn't lol.

Just go for it with some of your top rated hidden gems!

Mar 28, 2017 1:32 AM

Apr 2016
Kara no Kyoukai movie series.
Mar 28, 2017 1:50 AM

Jul 2015
Cross Game
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Sakamichi no Apollon
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuioku-hen

these are basically 5 of the best anime ive ever seen. especially Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is very thought provoking. but all of these arent really popular
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 28, 2017 1:50 AM
Oct 2011
ef: a tale of memories - got a decent rating and lots of members, but for some reason I feel that not that many have watched it.
Mar 28, 2017 2:29 AM
Nov 2014
I consider Major to be the best sports anime. It's not thought provoking at all. Not sure if that's considered popular.
Mar 28, 2017 2:34 AM

Jul 2015
aznboizzzx said:
I consider Major to be the best sports anime. It's not thought provoking at all. Not sure if that's considered popular.

Haikyuuu!, Cross Game and Ping Pong are the best sport anime.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 28, 2017 2:37 AM
Nov 2014
Galaxy__ said:
aznboizzzx said:

They sucked, Major is better.
Mar 28, 2017 2:40 AM

Jan 2016
I recommend you to give a look in this club Hidden Gems of Anime

Galaxy__ said:
aznboizzzx said:

You spelled Ashita no Joe wrong.
Mar 28, 2017 2:41 AM

Jul 2015
aznboizzzx said:
Galaxy__ said:

your mean score is 8.83 and you gave SAO a 10 so your opinion is invalid
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 28, 2017 2:43 AM

Jul 2015
Johnnyd3rp said:
I recommend you to give a look in this club Hidden Gems of Anime

Galaxy__ said:

You spelled Ashita no Joe wrong.

still in my PTW list so cant really judge that
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 28, 2017 3:03 AM

Jul 2009
I second what @Johnnyd3rp said about Ashita no Joe, it really is the best sports anime and a hidden gem overshadowed by its more popular counterpart Hajime no Ippo.

Also try Kaleido Star, another underrated sports anime that's more on the lighthearted side. It's also the source of my forum set.

If you want a whole collection of underrated masterpieces, however, you should try those in the World Masterpiece Theater collection. They're basically retellings of classic novels and children stories in anime form, with most of them having around 10k completed members or less. My personal favorite WMT show is Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette.
Mar 28, 2017 3:41 AM

Jun 2015
Hi no ame ga furu.
Mar 28, 2017 6:57 AM

May 2012
Here are a few shows from the past five years or so that were underappreciated. I'd call them "gems" rather than "masterpieces." For me, that title of honor is accorded to very few shows like Monster, Mononoke, and Dennou Coil.

Fune wo Amu ("The Great Passage") - Licensed by Netflix but not shown weekly so it never developed a following; Kuromukuro suffered a simlar fate. Little Witch Academia (TV) is in the same boat now.

Junketsu no Maria ("Maria, the Virgin Witch")
Flip Flappers
Gatchaman Crowds and Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Uchouten Kazoku
AKB0048
Tsuritama

Thunderbolt Fantasy uses elaborate puppetry so it isn't really animated. Nevertheless it is definitely worth a look. The script was written by Gen Urobuchi, the author of Madoka Magica, with character designs by figurine manufacturer The Good Smile Company. and voicings by well-known Japanese seiyuu.

A few older shows that rarely get mentioned here:
Noein
Oh! Edo Rocket
Kurenai
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Moyashimon
SeijiSenseiMar 28, 2017 7:34 AM
Mar 28, 2017 7:23 AM
Mar 2017
Darker than Black
Sword of the Stranger
Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, the funniest thing fucking ever.
Mononoke is very cool
Mar 28, 2017 7:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Flip Flappers was kind of a hidden gem (though it did gain popularity over time at least)
Mar 28, 2017 8:00 AM

Oct 2015
SeijiSensei said:

Flip Flappers

This one me too it baffles me with its low number of viewers.
It is recent, had not that much competition in its season?, it looks good, it has action, good pacing, is nicely mysterious for 7 or 8 episodes, ... baffling.

Alas, OP already saw it.
-------------------

Generally I am often puzzled by low numbers of viewers, either absolute or in comparison.
Anno Hideaki has been put in the "favourite persons" by almost 8,000 accounts, yet eg. Birth has been watched by only 1,200 members. (Not that I'd call it a masterpiece, but it is certainly, errm, good enough to while away some time.)

Others with surprisingly low numbers in "completed" :
Aku no Hana - ~40,000
Figure 17 : 2,500
Windy Tales : 2,600
Future Boy Conan - I would have thought that with Miyazaki involved it'd have an audience greater than not even 8,000.
and many more
------------

Weeeeell, anyways, the only ones I want to recommend to 3xTripple here are :
Vandread - a fun shounen, speedy action SciFi anime, with some comedy, and no spoonfeeding.
Not a masterpiece, but good enough, in some ways surprising, and not really ecchi outside the ED. (it still bears that tag).
For an anime like that, with that premise, only 42k "completed" to me is once again baffling.

And maybe Birth - as much as it isn't a masterpiece it is good enough to watch it. Whenever you feel like filling 80 minutes with some uncomplicated anime.
----------------

It would take too much time to go through my list and check to see which ones I haven't seen, so you probably shouldn't lol.

Not that much actually, unless we have loong lists ourselves.
Try that "[number] Shared" link on anyone else's profile, in the "Affinity to You" area.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Mar 28, 2017 8:25 AM

Mar 2016
Show that I rated high and having a low amount of member (lower than 40k):

OVA/Movie
Tenshi no Tamago - 38,721 members - 10
Flanders no Inu - 9,173 members - 8

Short Serie
Yami Shibai - 36,892 members - 8

Short Animation/Music
Mudai - 1,520 members - 9
Inaka Isha - 10,539 members - 8
Furiko - 9,574 members - 8
Shui Naodai - 906 members - 8
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Mar 28, 2017 9:25 AM

Jul 2015
Shinsekai Yori
Serial experiments lain
Mar 28, 2017 11:03 AM

May 2012
BannoBunka_snork said:

Windy Tales : 2,600

I think Fuujin Monogatari ("Windy Tales") suffers from a number of problems. First, it's old by contemporary anime standards, airing back in 2004-2005. Second, it is a slow-moving slice-of-life story about middle-school girls. Finally it has very unusual character designs which often turn off viewers looking for the standard "moe" designs we see today.

It's a lovely show to look at, though, once you accept the character models.
Mar 28, 2017 11:52 AM

Jan 2015
Shigofumi
Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku

Mar 28, 2017 5:34 PM
Reviewer

Apr 2012
So many great options, thanks guys!
Galaxy__ said:
aznboizzzx said:

your mean score is 8.83 and you gave SAO a 10 so your opinion is invalid

LOLLL Too funny.

Thanks everybody for all of the great recommendations!
I am legitimately surprised by how many of these I haven't seen:
Kara no Kyokai (stopped after movie one because it was painstakingly slow).
Cross Game
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Sakamichi no Apollon
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuioku-hen
ef: a tale of memories
Ashita no Joe
Hi no ame ga furu
Uchouten Kazoku
AKB0048
Tsuritama
Oh! Edo Rocket
Kurenai
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Moyashimon
Sword of the Stranger
Mononoke
Aku no Hana
Figure 17
Windy Tales
Birth
Vandread
Future Boy Conan
Tenshi no Tamago
Flanders no Inu
Serial experiments lain (I tried this before and really just could not get past the slow first episode)
Shigofumi
Les Misérables: Shoujo Cosette
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku
SeijiSensei said:

I think Fuujin Monogatari ("Windy Tales") suffers from a number of problems. First, it's old by contemporary anime standards, airing back in 2004-2005. Second, it is a slow-moving slice-of-life story about middle-school girls. Finally it has very unusual character designs which often turn off viewers looking for the standard "moe" designs we see today.

It's a lovely show to look at, though, once you accept the character models.
You should've seen my face when I saw the picture you posted LOL.

Thanks again all! Now I just have to figure out which order to watch them in...

Mar 28, 2017 5:41 PM

May 2013
Akatsuki no Yona
Hataraku Maou-sama!

Mar 28, 2017 6:12 PM
Jul 2016
Haven't watched it yet but Fantastic Children is said to be really good
Aye check out my profile!
Mar 28, 2017 6:16 PM
Mar 2017
Shinsekai yori
Texhnolyze
Any anime a kind fellow could recommend? Refer to my anime list for references of what I look for in an anime. Thank you kindly in advance.

PS: I've already seen Ghost in the Shell, both movie and tv shows.
Mar 28, 2017 7:09 PM
Mar 2017
It's a bit hard to define popularity. Since you have ~700 animes on your list, I am giving those with popularity rank after 1000

TV
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku -- very thought provoking (relationship between human and nature), but not so popular due to age and art style
Fractale -- thought provoking (relationship between human and technology)
Saikano -- thought provoking (technology, humanity)
Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume -- thought provoking (robots & humans), from a visual novel of Key (c.f. Clannad, Kanon, Angel Beats)

Movies
Jin-Roh -- thought provoking (human nature, anti-war), among the series of life work of the director of Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Metropolis -- thought provoking (technology) re-adaptation of a famous manga, which is in turn, adapted from a very famous silent drama
Tekkon Kinkreet -- very famous anime, but somehow low on popularity
Roujin Z -- thought provoking (senior citizens)
Asura -- thought provoking (human nature)
*Aura: Maryuuin Kouga Saigo no Tatakai -- this is relatively light-hearted, but gives some thought on school bullying

Takahata Isao's movies (Ghibli's co-founder with Miyazaki Hayao). His most famous movie is Hotaru no Haka, a very thought provoking movie (anti-war) (this is well known, but you don't have it on your list.) Tonari no Yamada-kun, Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko, Omoide Poroporo, Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (excellent anime, very famous, even nominated an Oscar, but somehow low on popularity) are all very thought provoking but less known.

I saw you have watched Tatami Galaxi (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei). The director Yuasa Masaaki mainly works on Seinen psychological anime (very good tags to search), which are usually less known but very complex and sometimes thought provoking. Titles include Mind Game, Kaiba, Kemonozume, Genius Party (and Ping Pong the Animation, but this is well known).

For complex anime, I have to mention Kon Satoshi. His animes are not hidden, but firstly you don't have them on your list, secondly my favorite one Perfect Blue is relatively unpopular. His other psychological work is Paprika.

Lastly, I am adding some old animes. Rose of Versailles was hugely popular, but not as so nowadays...epic historical drama set around French revolution. Just can't stop loving it...
ManganaticMar 28, 2017 7:15 PM
Mar 28, 2017 7:49 PM

Jun 2015
should watch uchuu kyoudai

Mar 29, 2017 10:38 AM

Feb 2015
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho: Tou
Shigofumi
Zettai Karen Children
Level E
Oh! Edo Rocket
Mar 29, 2017 12:41 PM

Feb 2017
3xTripple said:
I'm looking for some of the most unpopular and underrated shows in the anime genre. Preferably something that is complex and thought provoking.

If it's super popular, it's not a hidden gem.

Something that you enjoyed a lot and feel like should be more highly rated. Something that only a few anime chosen ones know about.

Just go for it with some of your top rated hidden gems!

the only one's comes to minds is "seikishi monogatari"
mc is OP and dumb but he never loss in good condition fights if your willing to know what i mean is
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2017 1:44 PM

Apr 2015
- Mouryou no Hako
- Hourou Musuko
- Casshern Sins
- Kaiba
- Texhnolyze
Mar 29, 2017 8:27 PM

Mar 2009
You don't appear to have seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so, that.

Other good things:
Armor Hunter Mellowlink (spinoff of VOTOMs, but is standalone)
Flag
Freedom
Key the Metal Idol
Kuuchuu Buranko
Rose of Versailles
Silent Mobius
Simoun
Tekkaman Blade (Japanese series, not Teknoman)
Terra e... (TV series)
Tetsujin 28-go (2004 series)

More topics from this board

» An anime that's impossible to hate

AnimeDownUnder - Apr 4

23 by Skuletor »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

8 by mo_lave »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Yesterday

6 by PlasticRobot »»
9 hours ago

» Versus is surprisingly interesting, any other manga, manhwa, or anime with similar content?

aLotQuestion_ - 10 hours ago

0 by aLotQuestion_ »»
10 hours ago

» On my way to the depths.... (1)

monke_guy - Apr 15

4 by monke_guy »»
Today, 6:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.