Forum Settings
Forums

What are the phases that anime fans go through?

New
Mar 27, 2017 6:33 PM

Aug 2015
When I was first getting into anime, I was all about the big three, then all about the lesser known ones, and then I went from watching action to romance. I'm just curious if there are phases of being an anime fan.

What do you think?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 2017 6:38 PM

Dec 2016
Dhar5by said:
When I was first getting into anime, I was all about the big three, then all about the lesser known ones, and then I went from watching action to romance.

I can definitely relate to this. Iv gone through the exact same thing. Now I just watch everything.
Mar 27, 2017 6:39 PM
Aug 2014
My Journey through the Anime Medium:

Transformers -> Speed Racer -> Pokemon -> other stuff -> years later Naruto -> Bleach -> tons of random shit in between -> Mushishi -> Evangelion -> whole bunch more -> where my favorites are today.
Mar 27, 2017 6:42 PM

Mar 2017
I think it's a bit different for each person, but generally there seems to be this kind of order:

1) An introductory phase, where you are still discovering what anime is all about. Maybe from accidentally discovering a more mainstream anime, like Naruto, DBZ or Pokémon.

2) An exploratory phase, where you branch out and find different genres you like, get more involved in the community and discover more lesser-known anime shows.

3) A peak in your anime lifestyle where you watch it regularly, have a good number of shows under your belt and are pretty knowledgeable and can recommend things to other fans.

There can also be 'breaks' in your anime watching where you don't watch as much for a while. These are the sorts of phases I went through. (Also the weeaboo phase, but we don't talk about that)
Mar 27, 2017 6:50 PM

Aug 2016
The first anime I watched was No Game No Life. When starting out, I would look up anime similar to NGNL, while having my friemd reccommend other anime to me (not related to NGNL). Eventually I got bored of that and discovered the Sentai Filmworks official website. I would look at the anime titles Sentai Filmworks had, read their descriptions, and watch animes i thought were interesting based off the description. Soon after, I started watching anime reviewers on youtube (mainly Glass Reflection) and watched the stuff they suggested. Fast forward a few months and I join MAL. That is the story of how i morphed into an otaku butterfly.
Mar 27, 2017 6:54 PM

Jun 2012
YayForKittens said:
I think it's a bit different for each person, but generally there seems to be this kind of order:

1) An introductory phase, where you are still discovering what anime is all about. Maybe from accidentally discovering a more mainstream anime, like Naruto, DBZ or Pokémon.

2) An exploratory phase, where you branch out and find different genres you like, get more involved in the community and discover more lesser-known anime shows.

3) A peak in your anime lifestyle where you watch it regularly, have a good number of shows under your belt and are pretty knowledgeable and can recommend things to other fans.

There can also be 'breaks' in your anime watching where you don't watch as much for a while. These are the sorts of phases I went through. (Also the weeaboo phase, but we don't talk about that)
I began at three and progressed towards phase one.
Mar 27, 2017 7:01 PM

Aug 2015
VERWANDLUNG said:
YayForKittens said:

I guess everyone has to watch them eventually.
Mar 27, 2017 7:03 PM

Jul 2016
They start out as normal people. They like 1 anime so they check out other anime. The months turn to years. You start calling people out on their shit tastes. You start defending your own tastes. They get suffocated and die by hundreds of body pillows surrounding them at night. And the cycle repeats onto the next person. It's like the ring curse.
Mar 27, 2017 7:06 PM

Sep 2015
Dhar5by said:
VERWANDLUNG said:

I guess everyone has to watch them eventually.
can second this, after 300-500 shows I only started watching big and well known stuff like One Piece, DBZ & Pokemon lol
Mar 27, 2017 7:06 PM

Jun 2015
Started with mostly masterpiece theatre titles, CLAMP stuff, mecha and dark 90's stuff. TV ratings were much lenient back then.
I had none of those "phase" nonsense. I always watched based on my mood.
Mar 27, 2017 7:10 PM
Feb 2016
Stage 1 - Sincere: You watch anime because you genuinely think it is an interesting medium with lots of cool shows.

Stage 2 - Ironic: You watch harem, ecchi, CGDCT, weird OVA's from the 80's-90's, horrible action anime out of interest, but "ironically". You still prefer more popular action anime.

Stage 3 - Post-Ironic: You start to genuinely enjoy any/all of the above. Your interest in current anime dwindles.

Stage 4 - Post-Post-Ironic: You shit on anime and watch everything from the season just so you can say it sucked.

Stage 5 - Post-Post-Post-Ironic: You enjoy your own suffering. You have now become a fully fledged anime fan. You are too far down to climb back up.

Right now I'm in stage 3.
Mar 27, 2017 7:11 PM

Dec 2014
Phase 1: Casual/Rookie
Lasts 1-3 years ~ Shonen/Shoujo anime, random classic movies, shows watched as kid on TV

Phase 2: Sophomore (May also be mixed in with phase 1 if you didn't start watching anime at your childhood years)
1-2 years ~ Watches non-shonen action/mecha anime, slice of life, drama, or just any popular anime in general as well as random shows friends recommended. Still growing as anime fan.

Phase 3: Prime
1-6 years ~ Very open-minded to most if not any genre, anime has become one of favorite hobbies

Phase 3.1: Hipster (optional)
??? ~ "Anime is dead, waifus/husbandos ruined anime and you have shit taste"

Phase 3.2: Waifu/Husbando era (optional)
??? ~ "______ is best waifu/husbando, yours is shit"

Phase 3.3: The manga was better (optional)
??? ~ "the manga was better"

Phase 3.4: Seasoned veteran
??? ~ Needs break after experiencing several genres, start re-watching a ton of shows

Phase ???: Weaboo (Inevitable)
Lifetime??? ~ Final transfomation into a weaboo
May unknowingly begin at phase 1.
LeMastaMar 27, 2017 7:15 PM
Mar 27, 2017 7:13 PM

Mar 2008
0. Preparation - Pre-anime

1. Introduction - Initiation

2 Exploration - Development

3. Experience - Progression

3.5. Dedication

4x. Nostalgia - Lost Roots / Change - Regression

4y. Disillusionment

4z. Eternal Love - Degeneracy

5. True Enlightenment

6. Death - RIP
Mar 27, 2017 7:19 PM

Aug 2007
I don't think that can be defined as a general rule of thumb for anyone who watches anime. We all have different taste and we all got into anime in different ways, also take into account that people naturally change over time, and sometimes that includes taste.

The only phases I feel I've personally went through are usually bouts of feeling too cynical about the medium and its fans, losing interest and motivation etc. Or watching too much of something and just getting really burnt out and tired.

Mar 27, 2017 7:22 PM

Oct 2016
1st: Newbie phase.
You discovered the wonders of the Anime world. First thing you may try are the well-known titles.

2nd: Exploration phase.
You sets foot on the unknown genre realm to expand your animu knowledge.

3rd: Stability phase.
When you finally discovered what genres you like the most.

4th: Stagnation phase:
Period when you are easily bored and too critique of animes you enjoyed when you were a newbie. Finding a new show that will pique your interest becomes harder.

5th: Aggressive phase
You joins in Anime communities such as MAL to discuss and defend to an extent your favorite shows. You also try to find recommendations based on your past preference.

FINAL: Maturation phase
You finally realized it's useless to argue in the Internet. You simply discuss what your likes and dislikes, ignoring trolls and alike. You become more self-aware of your preference which defines your true self and personality.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Mar 27, 2017 7:35 PM

Jan 2015
_xDane_ said:
1st: Newbie phase.
You discovered the wonders of the Anime world. First thing you may try are the well-known titles.

2nd: Exploration phase.
You sets foot on the unknown genre realm to expand your animu knowledge.

3rd: Stability phase.
When you finally discovered what genres you like the most.

4th: Stagnation phase:
Period when you are easily bored and too critique of animes you enjoyed when you were a newbie. Finding a new show that will pique your interest becomes harder.

5th: Aggressive phase
You joins in Anime communities such as MAL to discuss and defend to an extent your favorite shows. You also try to find recommendations based on your past preference.

FINAL: Maturation phase
You finally realized it's useless to argue in the Internet. You simply discuss what your likes and dislikes, ignoring trolls and alike. You become more self-aware of your preference which defines your true self and personality.

According to your analysis :3
I have jumped from Phase 3 to Final Phase ;3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Mar 27, 2017 7:47 PM

Oct 2014
anime fans are so varied in viewing choices setting watching phases for them is utterly pointless since those will not apply to pretty much everybody with a possible exception the fact most anime fans go through a shonen phase to get into the medium and that only happens because those are the only ones that air on television and are recommended as entry titles
Mar 27, 2017 8:22 PM

Aug 2015
Solaire-Q said:
The exact order is different for everyone, as it will depend on a variety of factors, but when I consider my own path, I will highlight one phase:

Ecchi phase - I was a young horny teen and willing to watch a lot of bad anime, just because it was perverted. Notable examples: He is My Master and Girl's Bravo

Good job being open about that, +A for being honest
Mar 27, 2017 8:41 PM

Jun 2015
I generally go through phases where I watch certain genres for a little while, but always go back to SoL.
:)
Mar 27, 2017 8:51 PM

Aug 2016
At first it was all about Inuyasha and Pokemon, my very first anime in which before i didnt even know they were anime. Then i heard of this "big three" people were always talking about but i havent watched any single episode yet up to now.
I always know what genre i would enjoy. So i kinda go with it, I only watch anime with my preferred genre. I hated sports genre so i havent watched any single sport anime. Even if people say it's legit cool or people has always been hyping about (Ehem koroko no basket? or Haikyuu?) I never tried to watch them because i know i wouldnt enjoy it at all.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 27, 2017 8:55 PM

May 2012
Suicidal Ideation
Then Romantic melodrama
then suicide attempt
then clannad
then harems
then depression
then texhnolyze
Mar 27, 2017 9:02 PM

Aug 2015
SnapMyBerry said:
I never tried to watch them because i know i wouldnt enjoy it at all.

That is a very straightforward way of approaching any media source.
Mar 27, 2017 9:30 PM

Feb 2016
PoeticJustice said:
Suicidal Ideation
Then Romantic melodrama
then suicide attempt
then clannad
then harems
then depression
then texhnolyze

Isnt the change from harems to depression too drastic? Also what happens if someone visits Irabu's office in between?

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 27, 2017 9:57 PM

Oct 2016
Shoegum said:
Stage 1 - Sincere: You watch anime because you genuinely think it is an interesting medium with lots of cool shows.

Stage 2 - Ironic: You watch harem, ecchi, CGDCT, weird OVA's from the 80's-90's, horrible action anime out of interest, but "ironically". You still prefer more popular action anime.

Stage 3 - Post-Ironic: You start to genuinely enjoy any/all of the above. Your interest in current anime dwindles.

Stage 4 - Post-Post-Ironic: You shit on anime and watch everything from the season just so you can say it sucked.

Stage 5 - Post-Post-Post-Ironic: You enjoy your own suffering. You have now become a fully fledged anime fan. You are too far down to climb back up.

Right now I'm in stage 3.

You forgot Stage 6 - Postpositivist Metafunctionalist Sincerity: You enjoy engaging with the creative perspectives of every author as they provide viewpoints into the subjective values of a culture. Your mood, background, knowledge and values can influence how you perceive a show, so dislike is your own perceptual failure and not the failure of the author.
Mar 27, 2017 10:30 PM

May 2012
HamburgerSpike said:
PoeticJustice said:
Suicidal Ideation
Then Romantic melodrama
then suicide attempt
then clannad
then harems
then depression
then texhnolyze

Isnt the change from harems to depression too drastic? Also what happens if someone visits Irabu's office in between?

they will be happy and then be crushed by the weight of nihilism. the anime viewer gets depressed because he will never have a harem.
Mar 27, 2017 10:32 PM
Apr 2014
PoeticJustice said:
HamburgerSpike said:

they will be happy and then be crushed by the weight of nihilism. the anime viewer gets depressed because he will never have a harem.
The jump from romantic melodrama to suicide attempt is a bit much imo
Also where's the gore anime edgelord phase? I thought that would be there somewhere.
Mar 27, 2017 10:46 PM

Sep 2015
1. Weeaboo
2. Super Weeaboo
3. Hyper Weeaboo
4. Ultimate Weeaboo
5. Ultra Super Ultimate Deluxe Weeaboo
6. GOD
Mar 27, 2017 11:26 PM

Feb 2013
The 'phases' are obviously not universal. This is my story, but i'm sure some of my 'phases' are shared to some degree with other people.

First i watched all shounenshit on TV. Whenever i see someone with all shounens in favourites i imagine them to be in this phase ~ easily wooed by violent teens and long stories. I'm grateful it was with Slayers and YuYu Hakusho, before Naruto and Bleach were a thing, or else i'd have been stuck here for a long time.

For the first anime i watched outside of those i grew up with on TV, i went straight to tha best animes ever, particularly in the Psychological genre. Utena, NGE, SEL, NHK, that was my jam. Whenever i see someone with most favourites in top 1000 rating and popularity i imagine them to be in this phase ~ not watching much outside what is "considered good". During this 'phase' i think it greatly helped that i was browsing lots of TVTropes.

Next i started plunging deeper into the more esoteric anime like slice of life, moe, mecha, seasonals, and increasingly older, lower rated, and obscurer shit. These happened to varying degrees in parallel, but it all started by browsing /a/ and finding that girl on the Hanasaku Iroha poster kinda cute. While the first 2 phases might have had other stronger interests, this is the point where anime slowly became my main 'thing'. I started to look up studios, directors, mangaka, etc and use that more frequently as a basis for what i watch. This happened a few years ago and i don't see it changing significantly as to have another "phase".
Mar 27, 2017 11:32 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
watch anime with cute and sexy girls, fap, repeat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 27, 2017 11:43 PM

Oct 2014
1. Introduction phase: This is when you watch whatever happens to be available to you at the time. Depending on what titles you get the chance to watch you may or may not see anime as being less diverse than Western media or may not even know that they are a separate thing.

2. Early fandom phase: Whether if this is a continuation of the last phase or if it comes much later is a case by case basis. This is when you discover more ways of watching anime and rather than watching everything that is available to you the anime you choose to watch are the ones that get recommended to you, whether passively through database scores or by people you trust.

3. Middle fandom phase: This is when you start branching out and watching whatever looks interesting or otherwise watchable. This is a phase for discovery of the medium so although you won't like everything you watch you start to learn what genres you like the most even if they were ones you didn't expect to like.

4. Later fandom phase: This is when you understand your taste the most. Rather than blindly taking recommendations from people you only watch anime you expect to like based on what you liked before and anime you personally think you have something to gain by completing. You may see this as the phase you are supposed to achieve, but if it comes too early then you might not have experienced enough yet and it narrowing what you choose to watch might even bring you back to the stage bfore.
Mar 27, 2017 11:45 PM

Dec 2013
I'm still stuck in the vortex of disillusionment, waiting for something great to pull me back...
Mar 28, 2017 12:12 AM

Nov 2009
My own stages:
1) Watched the first anime that got me into the genre (CCS).
2) Started looking for any anime anywhere I could find it. Most of it wasn't fit for me (like Digimon), but from my research I knew I was just getting the short end of the stick.
3) Got local network access, now I could pirate a lot of good anime that people of my age care about. Most of anime at this point were famous shows like NGE or Azumanga, but I accidentally grabbed a few obscure ones like Pita-ten too.
4) Got some understanding of my preferences, knowledge of databases and stuff. Started looking for things that fit my own preferences. At first it often meant manga, because I did not have enough internet to download whole anime series. Then I got proper broadband internet access.
It's at this stage that I got burned out on battle shounen, and somewhat fed up with ecchi comedies. (I still watch these two genres, but not as much as I used to)
5) Started watching ongoing anime, because I could not easily find something older that fit me. It's at this stage that SoL anime blossomed, which might have fed into my preference for ongoing anime.
6) Got a taste for unusual anime (like Flip Flappers or Occultic;Nine), sometimes to the point of repeated attempts at watching shoujo (shoujo does not fit me well, but it is unusual for me).
Mar 28, 2017 1:11 AM

Oct 2014
There are no phases. It's just gradually becoming more aware of what you like and slowly specifying towards it. Of course you start of with more popular titles, but you don't go through specific genres like everyone else.
Mar 28, 2017 1:15 AM

Oct 2014
Gymkata said:
I'm still stuck in the vortex of disillusionment, waiting for something great to pull me back...

You say that, yet you have plenty of shows you desperately need to see. There's always something for you, just keep looking
Mar 28, 2017 1:23 AM

Sep 2009
YayForKittens said:

Don't forget the decline, where you run out of good anime.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 28, 2017 1:36 AM

Apr 2016
Step 1. you think Death Note and FMAB are best anime in the world.

Step 2. you start watching ecchi and harem.

Step 3. you start realize that anime in step 1 are trash.

Step 4. you start shitposting on MAL.

Step 5. OPTIONAL you become Elitist.
Mar 28, 2017 2:06 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, for me it's something like this:

1. Remember DBZ and decide to download GT out of curiosity and because I'm already into manga and other nerdy things anyway. Discover the wonders of torrenting.

2. Big 3 hype and Death Note, Code Geass etc... along with some random shows because I got all my recs from random casuals in non-anime related forums. Already preferring long-runners and starting to develop a taste for sports anime because of that (Eyeshield, Hikaru no Go)

3. Start picking up anime on my own initiative. Mainly stuff that fansub groups I was following where doing and researching Studios on wiki and browse their catalogue. Starting to recognize Madhouse is amazing.

4. MAL happens. Be overwhelmed by how easy it suddenly is to find interesting titles. Gobble up everything dark, gritty and action-based I can find. Baccano, Gungrave, Trigun, Bebop, all the classics. Also still watching battle shounen and sports.

5. Get into seasonals. Slowly at first, but steadily.

6. Check out LOGH and be amazed. Lower all my ratings in comparison. Start branching out to intellectual, political and psychological works or just generally creative and atmospheric stuff even without any action.

7. Having watched basically all the well known and critically acclaimed titles that fall into the categories above I take a chance on some slice of life and romance series because I feel like I've seen the pinnacle of intellectual anime with LOGH. Be amazed by how incredibly fun shows like Genshiken, Nodame Cantabile or even Toradora are. Watch a lot of shows of that type and become addicted.

8. Re-discovering my love for battle shounen and sports shows when Toriko and Kuroko aired. Seeking out these genres more actively with a focus on long-runners like HxH, Ippo, Major etc...

9. REALLY get into seasonals. 30-40 shows each season. Still watch finished shows but much less since most of the good and well known ones in my genres have been exhausted.

10. Start simulwatching a lot especially seasonals. Making my first long-term friends on MAL.

11. Start digging deeper for obscure and niche titles. Finding a lot of new favorites on the list of @lisnoire which was my baseline for discovering niche gems back then.

12. Start getting into experimental shorts and music videos and also the wonders of animation in general in all its variety. Discover sakuga and start educating myself about animation and the industry. Start following sales too. Still heavy on seasonals.

13.Start branching out to cute girl shows like K-On on a whim based on liking Aria and finding them quite enjoyable. Also start getting into non-ecchi rom-coms like Seto no Hanayome or School Rumble around the same time.

14. Start really getting into 80s OVAs and Movies. Been very open about old anime since LOGH but now I start actively seeking them out just because they're from the 80s. It all started with Bubblegum Crisis which ignited my love for 80s anime soundtracks which still goes strong to this day.

15. Eventually getting tired of overloading on seasonals and changing my approach. Watching a lot less shows now and most of them not weekly but catching up once a month or even waiting for the whole show to air. That leaves more time for my backlog.

16. Current Phase. Balanced intake of seasonals and completed titles, regular simulwatch routine, watching almost every genre though I do tend to be more biased towards the ones I've been liking for the longest time. Battle Shounen, Sports, action, psychological, josei etc..
Steven Universe is the best thing that ever happened.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 28, 2017 2:22 AM

Feb 2015
1. Began with Dragon Ball Z as the only anime I watched and cared about.

2. Watched a few shows that my friend gave me, but mostly got hooked on long-running mainstream stuff (Naruto, Bleach) that reminded me of Dragon Ball Z.

3. Got bored of long-running mainstream stuff and instead watched some of the shorter mainstream stuff given to me by a friend.

3.1 Watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which became my #1 anime of all time.

4. Signed up on My Anime List and started to do my own research. Watching a variety of different stuff.

4.1 Discovered Fairy Tail, which resurrected my faith in long-running battle shounen series, and became my #2 anime of all time.

5. Current times. Nothing has changed. Still watching a variety of stuff. Still on the look out for more great shows to add to my top favourites.
Mar 28, 2017 2:38 AM
Reviewer

Apr 2012
Phase 1 the Cringy Noob - You watch the most popular animu and your favorite anime are some of the most popular ones like Naruto, Once Piece, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, One Punch Man

Phase 2 the Explorer - you realize that the anime genre is more than just shounen, and begin to branch out into various other anime based on recommendations and reading the synopsis. Girls and women may flock to shoujo, hot guys, romance, and BL whereas guys and men flock to shounen, action, harem, ecchi.

BRANCHES BEGIN
Phase 3 Route A - The Fledglinng Weaboo :You start to become a weaboo and begin to say things like desu desu, Kawaii, baka, uguu, and may speak broken Japanese. You want to visit japan because you love the culture that you learned about from anime. Often these people start using lots of emojis and have memorized typable faces to use on various Internet forums, chats, and games. Have lots of anime pictures stored on your computer and cellular device, and have at least one detailed anime profiles on the internet. You continue to watch anime, but branch into lesser known ones away from what others recommend.

Phase 3 Route B - Everybody else : You continue to watch anime, but branch into lesser known ones away from what other recommend. You now consider yourself an anime fan that has seen a lot of anime. Your interest in japan may be growing, but you may not necessarily want to visit.

Phase 4 Route A - Studying Weabooism: Now a fully fledged weaboo, you've been watching lots of anime related content on youtube, perhaps even more so than actually watching anime. You may start drawing characters, playing anime-related games, role playing, creating fan-fic, and have joined nearly every anime/japan related club that you could find in the real world. You may have posters, figures, and clothing. You probably watch hentai. You know what you like in anime and try to find hidden gems in those categories, while still accepting recommendations from others. You may become a seasonal watcher by this point.

Phase 4 Route B - The Anime Fans: You know what you like in anime and try to find hidden gems in those categories, while still accepting recommendations from others. You may become a seasonal watcher by this point. However, at this point you may have realized that you need more people to talk to anime about so you try to find people irl or online. You may start to consider yourself an Otaku at this point.

Phase 5 Route A - Cringy Weaboo: You are a proud weaboo and have followed various social network profiles relating to weabooism. You have many weeb friends and are a part of weeb communities. You have been called "fucking weeb" at least once before. You may introduce yourself as a weaboo. You dress like an anime character. You have a pretty solid amount of knowledge about anime and are struggling to find more that you are interested in. You think that you are running out of anime to watch and remain a seasonal watcher. You are peak weaboo.

Phase 5 Route B - The Otaku: You may start drawing characters, playing anime-related games, role playing, creating fan-fics. You may have posters, figures, and clothing. You have a pretty solid amount of knowledge about anime and are struggling to find more that you are interested in. You think that you are running out of anime to watch and remain a seasonal watcher.

Phase 5 Route C - The Anime Fan: You have a pretty solid amount of knowledge about anime and are struggling to find more that you are interested in. You think that you are running out of anime to watch and remain a seasonal watcher. You may be interested in joining some anime clubs.

Phase 6 Route A - Weaboo Disillusionment, Hikikomori? - You get older and realize that people look down on weaboos. You either separate yourself from ordinary social interaction to embrace the final state of weabooism: Cringy Weaboo Saiyan God. You have very few non-anime/game related friends and your family shakes their head at you and wonders where they went wrong. You have trouble functioning in normal society because you believe that real life is like anime and have unrealistic expectations. Or you may start reject the weaboo teachings and become a normal otaku or anime fan. You find out there are hundreds of anime that you haven't seen. You have a long list of things that you want to watch because you know how little anime that you've seen.

Phase 6 Route B - True Otaku: You love anime a lot and may want to visit japan, but your speaking patterns haven't changed. You are a part of one or more anime communities. You have a long list of things that you want to watch because you know how little anime that you've seen. You watch hentai.

Phase 6 Route C - The Seasonal Anime Fan: You love anime a lot and may want to visit japan, but your speaking patterns haven't changed. You are wondering if you should stop watching anime because it's all just more of the same anyways. You have a list of things that you plan to watch, but your life is getting busier and you don't really want to watch more of the same so you watch a bit less and may just stay seasonal.

Phase 7 Route A - The end of Weaboo: You are no longer a weaboo because you are a grown adult with adult responsibilities. You are no longer living with your parents. Perhaps you are on welfare because you have many psychological disorders and can't function in ordinary society. Transitions to Hikikomori, Otaku, Anime Fan, or quits anime entirely. May move to Japan.

Phase 7 Route B - The Anime Guru: You are an adept anime watcher with over half a year's worth of anime. This is the highest level of anime watching. You may continue to watch anime seasonal and consider it to be a major part of your life. You wouldn't trade it for the world and have explored many of the older and lesser known anime.

Phase 7 Route C - The Quitters: You feel that you have outgrown anime. You may watch it occasionally here and there, but it's all just more of the same and you'd rather do other things than watch shows that you can no longer relate to. Others may transition into Otakus, a small <10% minority will try their hands at weabooism.

Phase 8 - You have seen over 1,000 anime titles and are now a Legendary Anime Guru

Phase 9 - You have seen over 2,000 anime titles and 300 days worth and are now a Mythological Anime Guru.

Phase 10 - You have seen over 500 days worth of anime. At this point, you go into a higher plane of anime existence where almost none have achieved. You are in the top .0001% of anime watchers.

At phase 10, basically you ARE Anime *^*.
3xTrippleMar 28, 2017 3:29 AM

Mar 28, 2017 12:54 PM
Aug 2016
Went like this for me, started watching 7 months ago, had a minimal exposure to anime before that

1. Get hooked on an ecchi romance anime that looked interesting based off a few clips that I saw on youtube
2. Ignore basically every super popular and action oriented anime and skip straight to rom-com, harem, and CGDCT slice of life anime

no regrets tbh
Mar 28, 2017 2:52 PM

Sep 2016
Started with pokemon, I really like the style, the characters were cute and looked more like people. Being born in the west I wondered why other shows looked so different.
eventually I stayed up late a few times to find good old DBZ and Naruto.
at this point i still didn't even know anime was from Japan, or that it was actually it's own type of thing.

I continued watching stuff specifically popular in the west, playing on toonami, bleach, one piece, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, inuyasha, deadman wonderland.

Then I found Deathnote and really like it.
So i went online looking for airing times, and It led me to an anime listing website.. with tons and tons of shows that don't really air on American television.
That's when the flood gates opened and it's history from there.
I don't care.
Mar 28, 2017 3:02 PM

Dec 2012
I can't be bothered typing out an essay so I'll just say I started on entry level shounen plus very popular stuff at the time, watching them a couple times a week, then started watching anime a LOT, delving into the "good stuff" like LoGH, older anime and the like. Nowadays I watch anime more than my first phase but less than my second, except my tastes are a hell of a lot more branched out now so I'll watch anything. I think for most people they either branch out more in the end or just stick with CGDCT.
Mar 28, 2017 3:09 PM

Sep 2014
I think I started with Zoids and pokemon, but never knew they were anime. Then about 5-9 years later, it's when I started watching anime online and bingewatch them rather than wait for episodes, was a sophomore in high school. Then I watched Attack on Titan during my Junior Yearsm really liked the bad ass stuff. Kept up with Akame Ga kill right after. Then I went to watch Angel Beats and Clannad at the same time frame, got depressed, had to watch harems and ecchi for about a month straight, then was really obsessed with Rom-coms. Now I end up watching Rabu Raibu.
Mar 28, 2017 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Phase 1: Being New to anime and starting with some mainstream titles and few shows that aren't even known for people here (minor)

Phase 2: Focusing more on shows I got from DVDs from my cousin and ask for more. Learning and getting more anime through that time.

Phase 3: Got a computer, can sit down and watch anime online and then look at some not so well known titles, then learning and searching up for preferences. Still asking my cousin to give me some torrents from episodes rips to go and watch them offline.

Phase 4: Getting into anime at a much quicker pace and got into the medium with 1 show that was one of my favorites.

Phase 5: Getting into seasonal anime series

Phase 6: Learning how to do criticism and at first starting to act like a pretentious elitist.

Phase 7: Try to learn how to make criticism and not be an elitist

Phase 8: Don't give two shits what other people think, and enjoy what you like as long as you can try to backup claims.

That's for me :')
Mar 28, 2017 5:22 PM

May 2010
1. Naruto is the best animu of all time.
2. Naruto is the worst anime ever, god I never liked it anyway, only LotGH and Monster are worth watching, not that casual shit.
3. Ehh, I'm just gonna fap to all these hentais.
4. I respect other's opinions, everyone can watch and enjoy whatever they want <3

Sometimes this feels like a real pattern lolz. Personally I don't think my taste changed that much now that I'm older, I just have less time to watch everything I want.
Mar 28, 2017 5:42 PM

Jul 2014
The evolutionary cycle:

pokemon -> hipster-> filthy casual / normie -> shit taste -> toonami -> MAL top 1000 -> manga/LN adaptations -> LOGH -> boku no pico -> shitcom -> AD -> ded
Mar 28, 2017 5:59 PM

Dec 2015
Mhhh so far I could remember

5-12 years old (1998-2005)
-Ninja Hattori-kun, Chibi Maruko-chan, Cyborg Kuro-chan, Doraemon, Perman (P-Man), Anpanman, O-bake no... Holly, Digimon Adventures, Bakuten Shoot Beyblade, Bakusō Kyōdai Let's & Go!!, Kobo chan, Bakkyuu HIT! Crash Bedaman, Detective Conan, Digimon Frontier, Digimon Tamers, Crayon Shinchan, Captain Tsubasa, Dragon Ball, One Piece... (I still could sing the opening song for some of the anime up there in my language LOL)

13-15 (2006-2008)
-Still watching some from up there, Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo, Tokyo Mew Mew, Cardcaptor Sakura, Daisuki! BuBu ChaCha, Konchū Monogatari: Minashigo Hatchi, Initial D, Inuyasha, Gegege no Kitaro, Keroro Gunsho, Kekkaishi, Hamtaro, Hikaru no Go, Hunter x Hunter, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo, Rurouni Kenshin, Tantei Gakuen Q, Yu-Gi-Oh, The Law of Ueki, Naruto...

16-22 (2009-2015)
-High School Time : Some continuation from before, Death Note, Bleach.
-University time : (This is where I stopped watching long running anime) Code Geass, Amnesia, Kyoukai no Kanata, Black Rock Shooter, Code:Breaker, Tokyo Raven, Sword Art Online, Sukite Ii na yo, Hyouka, Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge, Hataraku Maou sama, Free!, Gangsta, Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru, Kuroshitsuji, Tokyo Ghoul....

23-now (2016-now)
-The rest anime on my list LOL

Plus some anime from those era that Im kinda hazy and might forget to mention.. Also I couldnt recall watching Pokemon and Sailor Moon as well...

About phases, Im not sure.. I think its more into my perception that is going deeper entering High School phase till now, started from Death Note.. like now mostly, Im not watching anime only for entertainment only... but also somehow percepting an anime and its story from different side of point of view also trying to put myself as the MC then solving problem or finding solution.. I guess... but ya this also under influence of my loving side towards mystery genre, even since I was a kid, I used to enjoy watching Detective Conan and other mystery anime like Tantei Gakuen Q, etc as well as Sherlock Holmes (for book).. also pretty much I watch anything that I think interesting for me.. I think like that...

Addition.. this kind of point of view that I mean.. I will give you some anime for example (only if you want to know)...
EufieMar 28, 2017 6:06 PM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Mar 28, 2017 6:04 PM

Jun 2008
Every anime fan is in reality only watching anime in an ironic manner.

This thread proves it.

No sorry, MAL as a whole proves it.
Mar 28, 2017 6:05 PM

Jun 2011
Phases as someone who has been watching anime since she was 2.

Phase 1:
Watching anime on TV. Not knowing it is anime. Just knowing I like these cartoons more than these other cartoons. Can't put a finger on why.

Phase 2:
Late Night anime and owned anime. Personally owned anime on VHS. Rented some too. Stayed up to watch on Sci Fi and Adult Swim. Lots of dubbed stuff.

Phase 2.5: Checking out the manga and other things connected to your favorites. If you like Yugioh, you play Yugioh. You like Pokemon and Digimon? You play the respective games too. Connecting with others about your hobby in ways that are beyond the anime. I also started recording anime and giving it to a friend because they didn't have cable and I did.

Phase 3: Graduate to the Sub. Now, you don't have to leave it completely behind. I still haven't and I am at a pretty respectable number. But I don't think I would have seen all the great things I had if I didn't that is for sure.

Phase 4: Joining an anime club, joining otaku based clubs like Lolita fashion clubs, going to convention.

Phase 5: Having a growing pains hipster phase or a edgy phase- something like that. Basically going through this time when you like things before they are cool (or you think you do) and you think you are hot shit because you think you found Elfin Lied and Higurashi and I guess now it is Tokyo Ghoul and shit first. XD Also you think they are the bestest most mature animes on the planet. And maybe you become an annoying shipper who squees and glomps people for a time. I have no idea. Everyone is different. Back at phase 3.... I was.... an Inuyasha fan and we all know what that series did to people. And phase 4... I was a Gravitation fan... and we all know what that series made people into.... lol. I have been the world's most annoying fan 100% of the time.

But yeah. You go through some harsh growing pains about this time. And maybe some friends reject you for it eventually. Because you suck.

Phase 6: You hate anime for some reason. I donno. You think anime is "going down hill" To mend this, you become ultra hipster and watch nothing but Year 24 Group works, Osamu Tezuka, Dezaki, Go Negai, Hideaki Anno, Miyazaki, and late nineties action such as Cowboy Bebop. I mean you thought you were a hipster in phase 5 but fuck now you are watching shit most your friends never heard of and stuff a lot of people actually respect like Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you are not me. You even indulge in watching the Bottom 100 on this website. Yeah. You are watching the bottom 100 too. You are curious. What is the shittiest anime ever made?

Phase 7: Shit... there is this new season of anime and stuff actually looks kinda good. Your friend who loves moe anime has convinced you to try new things. You try new things. You actually like the new things and pull the giant stick out of your rectum and realize maybe you were just watching the wrong things.

I call this phase: The Second Renaissance. You have finally gotten in touch with what you really love as a fan. You really get into this groove and find your real place in the community.

Phase 8: You indulge in fanservice genres and don't give a fuck and maybe openly carry a body pillow I donno. Are you that guy who carries his Giant Hello Kitty everywhere? Yeah. I seen you. Now instead of whining about anime you hate, you kinda whine about why people don't love all the anime. If there is a bad season for you, you don't worry. You know there will be a good season for you shortly. You have learned the ebb and flow. You know who you are, what you are about, and if your rating is around a 4 or a 10 average you aren't that concerned. More interested in finding something good that will make you happy.

I honestly don't even know what is next. Kinda wondering where I am going to be next.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 28, 2017 8:03 PM

May 2012
Gholy said:
PoeticJustice said:

The jump from romantic melodrama to suicide attempt is a bit much imo
Also where's the gore anime edgelord phase? I thought that would be there somewhere.

i know you felt suicidal after watching angel beats.

that would be under romantic melodrama. elfen lied is kind of a romance
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

42 by LordNTR »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

83 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

44 by RioAl »»
13 minutes ago

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

39 by billybub »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

94 by Timeline_man »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.