48.4%
no
51.6%
717 votes
Mar 26, 2017 4:26 AM

Dec 2014
NOTICE: THE CHARTS AND UPDATES HAVE BEEN MOVED

V V V ---OUTDATED---OUTDATED---OUTDATED---OUTDATED--- V V V

I have compiled some hiatus charts for the manga series, Berserk, HunterxHunter, One Piece and various others to compare how often each series goes on breaks.
bigzlo and Liroy2057 have also created similar charts for other manga series.

~~ Ongoing Series Charts (Last Updated 1st May 2018) ~~

~~ Completed Series Charts ~~

~~ Original Post (Outdated 26th March 2017) ~~

Some sources that were very helpful in making this:
http://skullknight.net/images/eps.htm
https://hiatus-hiatus.github.io/HunterXHunter/
https://hiatus-hiatus.github.io/YuYuHakusho/
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/weekly-shonen-jump/4050-43519/
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldtrigger/comments/6vngnr/hiatus_chart_update/
prowtarAug 8, 2018 12:35 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 26, 2017 4:27 AM

Dec 2014
The images didnt come out as clear as i wanted :/

Mar 26, 2017 4:39 AM

May 2014
Nice to see this in perspective I guess, fantasia arc is almost nearing 10 years huh :/
Mar 26, 2017 4:41 AM

Dec 2014
KamSung said:
Nice to see this in perspective I guess, fantasia arc is almost nearing 10 years huh :/

yea it really is depressing :( but at least berserk releases at least 1 chapter a year...HxH sobs*

Mar 26, 2017 8:21 AM

Dec 2012
Jesus how depressing to look at, since 2010 for example there's been 39 Berserk chapters, 69 Hunter x Hunter chapters and 294 chapters of One Piece. You really have to admire Oda for his work ethic.
Mar 26, 2017 11:37 AM

Feb 2015
>hiatus is bad

So you want to kill the mangaka just because you're eager to read the next chapter?
Mar 26, 2017 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
Monde11 said:
Jesus how depressing to look at, since 2010 for example there's been 39 Berserk chapters, 69 Hunter x Hunter chapters and 294 chapters of One Piece. You really have to admire Oda for his work ethic.

also oda is smart enough to hire 10-15 people to help him.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 26, 2017 6:55 PM

Mar 2009
It interesting to see these charts! And sad to know that only a single chapter of Berserk came out in 2013 (and right at the start, too! and then it was over a year before another one!). It really makes me admire Oda even more, he seems to take a week off every few months, reasonable, especially since he's been at it so long.
Mar 27, 2017 12:10 AM

Mar 2017
My god, does Eiichiro Oda loves working or what? That's a huge level of dedication there, working so many years with only one or two hiatus every year.

Though Berserk and HunterXHunter really have their fair share of long hiatus. But, while Hiatus might be bad, i think it's a good thing to do. It helps the author to revitalize themselves before working again. They might be running out of idea or just burned out from working too hard.

Then again, your chart was well-made.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Mar 27, 2017 2:01 AM

Dec 2014
_Ako_ said:
>hiatus is bad

So you want to kill the mangaka just because you're eager to read the next chapter?

By no means am I trying to downgrade the author's efforts, I have great respect for all mangaka and believe that they put in so much effort for their works. The comment just really shows how much people love and admire their works, and in no way is it a selfish remark for one's own purposes. In saying hiatus is bad, I guess I really mean that the issues they face in creating their works is bad, like illnesses.

Mar 27, 2017 10:36 AM

Feb 2015
prowtar said:
_Ako_ said:
>hiatus is bad

By no means am I trying to downgrade the author's efforts, I have great respect for all mangaka and believe that they put in so much effort for their works. The comment just really shows how much people love and admire their works, and in no way is it a selfish remark for one's own purposes. In saying hiatus is bad, I guess I really mean that the issues they face in creating their works is bad, like illnesses.

You all say that and this...

Poll: hiatus is bad

Okay.. Now it all make sense...
Jun 7, 2017 12:40 AM
Oct 2012
Here's my Naruto one. Inspired by your work, feel free to report any and all errors and/or suggestions!

Also, in the future expect me to do Bleach, Reborn, D.Gray-man, Dragon Ball, and Jojo hiatus charts.
Jun 7, 2017 4:45 AM

Mar 2016
D.gray-man would be about just as bad as HxH
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2017 1:47 AM
Oct 2012
Ok, after some unevitable delays, here comes next hiatus chart: BLEACH!

Stay tuned.
bigzloAug 4, 2017 1:51 AM
Aug 4, 2017 2:47 AM

Mar 2015
Galaxy__ said:
Monde11 said:

no, for real, oda is forced by jump to get hiatus... not the reverse... this guy works ethics is terrifying... also he doesn't really get the much people to be his staff...

OP, i know the data will hard to gain, but can you give nyankoi hiatuses chart?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 4, 2017 5:45 AM

Jul 2015
Kuma said:
Galaxy__ said:

no, for real, oda is forced by jump to get hiatus... not the reverse... this guy works ethics is terrifying... also he doesn't really get the much people to be his staff...

pretty sure his staff is around 10 people large
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Aug 4, 2017 8:53 AM

Jul 2016
Of course I don't want creators to kill them selves but they can take on staff to help them and they have to accept that they can't do all the work themselves. Oda doesn't draw his backgrounds and he is able to put out a chapter almost every week. From what I've heard togashi insists on doing all the work himself and only manages to put out 10 chapters per year.

I'm not necessarily mad at authors like togashi it just makes it hard for me to follow thiere work. On the other hand I am full of appreciation for people like Oda.
Aug 4, 2017 7:09 PM

Mar 2015
Galaxy__ said:
Kuma said:

pretty sure his staff is around 10 people large

aren't his staff around 8 people?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 5, 2017 5:41 AM
Oct 2012
Kuma said:

Not an OP, but guess I can take a 3 hour break from my big charts to grant your little request ;3

But i must say, that chart not 100% correct at least regarding that one hiatus in 2008... Information that salvaged by me through archive dot org and google translate was far from complete.
Aug 5, 2017 6:25 PM

Mar 2015
bigzlo said:
Kuma said:

Not an OP, but guess I can take a 3 hour break from my big charts to grant your little request ;3

But i must say, that chart not 100% correct at least regarding that one hiatus in 2008... Information that salvaged by me through archive dot org and google translate was far from complete.

it's really helpful already... this author was already too long on hiatus... there is also World Trigger currently on hiatuses...
Sep 1, 2017 11:58 PM

Aug 2009
Kuma said:
Galaxy__ said:

He must be the godlike creator we get once a century (specifically from his country) like Jrr Tolkien, Jk Rowling and George R. R. Martin, but from Japan, not England or america. All of the others have talent, but they're not nearly obsessed enough to write/draw incredibly long masterpieces.
Sep 3, 2017 5:58 AM
Feb 2009
dakotasapphire said:
Kuma said:

He must be the godlike creator we get once a century (specifically from his country) like Jrr Tolkien, Jk Rowling and George R. R. Martin, but from Japan, not England or america. All of the others have talent, but they're not nearly obsessed enough to write/draw incredibly long masterpieces.

First, comparing Oda to great writers? Really? One Piece is really popular but it's not masterfully written.
Second, George RR Martin is getting hate from his fans because books are slow to come out and GoT passed them. It's impressive how he writes these complex books so quicly but it's not quick compared to shorter books. And One Piece isn't complex and releases just fly out fast.
Just so wrong comparsion.
Sep 3, 2017 7:32 AM
Apr 2016
Bozzzz said:
dakotasapphire said:

First, comparing Oda to great writers? Really? One Piece is really popular but it's not masterfully written.
Second, George RR Martin is getting hate from his fans because books are slow to come out and GoT passed them. It's impressive how he writes these complex books so quicly but it's not quick compared to shorter books. And One Piece isn't complex and releases just fly out fast.
Just so wrong comparsion.

Before I start, I'd like to apologize, as I was thinking of how to answer it, your name felt familiar so I searched and turns out we had an argument before. This is just to say I have nothing against you personnally.

"comparing Oda to great writers? Really? One Piece is really popular but it's not masterfully written."

Have to disagree on some parts of that sentence. Imo, One piece is masterfully written when you look at the universe he has created, the foreshadowing everywhere and the plot. As for the art, I find it more than decent (There are better artists, of course, but it's definitely good.), and some might disagree with me on that point, which I can understand. But from a story point of view, it can be considered, in my opinion, as a masterpiece. And with that being said, why would it be wrong to compare it to other stories?

Admittedly, one could say it is ridiculous to compare books to mangas as the support as the medium isn't the same and therefore they have different characteristics (which, in fairness, can be considered a valid point, I mean, both have their strong points, and thus pitting them against each other is ridiculous)

So if by "not masterfully written", you're alluding to the fact that the words used and the way things are said are incomparable, I agree, I mean, mangas show sceneries and have no use for words discribing them, plus in one piece's case I doubt oda uses sentences that are too complex or poetic as a part of his audience is supposedly young (Can't really read japanese, and there have been cases of translations not doing original works justice, so might be wrong, but still, highly doubt it's the case here)

But if you're referring to the plot and the universe, which is probably the case considering the "One Piece isn't complex" you wrote a bit after, then I have to 100% disagree with you.

Is One Piece a masterpiece? I think it is, but I understand some not agreeing with it, whether it is because of the art or other stuff. It comes down to personal preferences.

So "wrong comparison?" Depends on what way you look at it.
Sep 4, 2017 2:57 AM

Dec 2014
An update on the current hiatus (4th September 2017)

One Piece seems to be on a trend of releasing 4 chapters before a week break.
Lets hope HunterxHunter returns by the end of the year.

Sep 4, 2017 3:07 AM

Dec 2014
If anybody has the first 5 volumes of Berserk, it would be very much appreciated if they could take a picture of the page which has the listings of what issue each chapter was released, just like in the following image:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128650808&postcount=13213
^The link above seemed to have wanted this too, but were unable to get it. I am unsure whether it is just the Japanese releases that contain this, or if the english releases do too.

Thank you!

Sep 22, 2017 2:07 AM
Oct 2012
prowtar said:
If anybody has the first 5 volumes of Berserk, it would be very much appreciated if they could take a picture of the page which has the listings of what issue each chapter was released, just like in the following image:

https://imgur.com/a/wwuG9

You're welcome. I hope I'm not too late.
Sep 22, 2017 2:34 AM

Dec 2014
bigzlo said:
prowtar said:

https://imgur.com/a/wwuG9

You're welcome. I hope I'm not too late.

Wow, thank you very much :)

Sep 22, 2017 4:14 AM

Dec 2014
Here's the up to date chart for Berserk as of 22nd September 2017. Fixed up as many mistakes as possible.
Big thanks to bigzlo for finding the information for the earlier chapters.

prowtarSep 22, 2017 4:22 AM

Sep 22, 2017 8:34 PM

Jul 2013
you should do one for Gintama and Detective Conan!
Sep 22, 2017 11:36 PM

Dec 2014
SkyFullOfStars said:
you should do one for Gintama and Detective Conan!

Both those series doesn't seem to have had any major breaks during their run, but I'll look into it and try to make up charts for them.

Oct 25, 2017 2:46 AM
Oct 2012
OK, here's little something for ya in-between my larger chart projects.

Now back to chart making...
Oct 26, 2017 11:14 AM

Jan 2016
Galaxy__ said:
Monde11 said:

Togashi should've hire some people to finish his series, before he die.
Oct 26, 2017 11:16 AM

Jan 2016
Try to post a chart for D.Gray-man!
Oct 26, 2017 8:49 PM

Dec 2014
Here's the chart for World Trigger

^Source

LeoEarlSpilner said:

You can expect to see the chart for D.Gray Man soon ;)
prowtarOct 26, 2017 8:58 PM

Oct 26, 2017 9:21 PM

Jan 2016
prowtar said:
Here's the chart for World Trigger

^Source

LeoEarlSpilner said:

You can expect to see the chart for D.Gray Man soon ;)

Thank you so much! I'll look forward to it. ^_^
Oct 27, 2017 3:59 AM

Dec 2014
Extect said:

LeoEarlSpilner said:

The Long awaited D.Gray Man hiatus chart has been completed!

Oct 27, 2017 4:16 AM

Dec 2014
Here's an interesting one, Made in Abyss.

Because this series is a web comic I had to place it in a monthly format to closely match the author's irregular release schedule. This means that the chart may not be 100% accurate.

Oct 27, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2016
prowtar said:
Extect said:

LeoEarlSpilner said:

The Long awaited D.Gray Man hiatus chart has been completed!

Thank you once again for dropping the post! ^_^

Damn, Since 2014, D.Gray-man had only 9 (monthly) chapters! At this rate, the series will never finish.

LeoEarlSpilnerOct 27, 2017 12:03 PM
Oct 28, 2017 4:59 AM

Aug 2016
I think hiatus is okay but yknow.. If you're not on hiatus forever and if you get off hiatus don't go back on hiatus a couple months later.
Everybody can't be as dedicated as Oda...... He's not even human for the record
Nov 1, 2017 8:34 AM

Apr 2017
Hiatus is ruining the world of manga , honestly.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 17, 2017 9:00 PM

Dec 2014
"Hiatus" Chart for JoJo's Bizzare Adventure.

I honestly think Araki is the only one who can match Oda in terms of being a true monster.
prowtarNov 17, 2017 9:04 PM

Nov 23, 2017 12:11 PM

Dec 2015
If i made a Nanatsu no Taizai hiatus chart would you display it?
Nov 23, 2017 4:57 PM

Dec 2014
Liroy2057 said:

Sure feel free to post your charts :) I'll have to confirm whether the information is correct and all before displaying it though. If you don't want to post it here you can PM me.

Nov 23, 2017 5:13 PM

Sep 2011
That world trigger one hurts

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 27, 2017 6:49 AM

Dec 2015
prowtar said:
Liroy2057 said:

Sure feel free to post your charts :) I'll have to confirm whether the information is correct and all before displaying it though. If you don't want to post it here you can PM me.

Chart is done :D (Finding new colors was harder than i thought)

Liroy2057Nov 27, 2017 6:53 AM
Nov 27, 2017 10:18 AM

Nov 2017
Honestly theres gotta be a better way of working, than a mad dash to get chapters out which require long breaks to recover, some kind of happy medium?

Why aren't there more people to help? Why aren't there more regular hours? Is this a problem with the manga industry or Japan as a whole?

IDK I feel like Japan as a whole could do with regular hours, five day weeks with weekends off and just chilling out in general.
Nov 27, 2017 10:32 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Considering Togashi takes hiatus breaks for his health and Miura puts so much detail in one page then most mangka take for a whole chapter. It's not shocking as to why hiatus' occur.

Oda is a beast machine for barely taking anytime for himself at all.

The manga industry being mostly weekly is a problem unto itself and overworks these guys and basically ruins them in the long run, read Togashi after story on YYH if you're unaware.
Nov 27, 2017 11:52 AM

Jan 2010
Oda really loves his manga <3
Really admirable! As much as I love how he rarely take breaks (because it means more chapters every year), Oda really has to take a break and relax... what if something happens to his health in the long run... One Piece ending is still far, so I hope Oda take care of himself more, like hire more people to help him!! So he can still relax without breaking his pattern of taking one or two hiatus each year!
Dec 16, 2017 5:48 AM

Dec 2014
Looks like Berserk and Hunter x Hunter will be returning in the early issues of next year. Berserk will be in Young Animal monthly issue #1 and Hunter x Hunter in Shonen Jump issue #9. We can expect the scans to come out much earlier though.

Hopefully they stick around for a while, especially Hunter x Hunter, seeing as though it'll be on it's 20th anniversary just a few weeks later. It wouldn't want to go on a hiatus right after it's anniversary lol. (Although it did just that on it's 10th anniversary in 2008, going back on hiatus after 10 chapters)

Dec 17, 2017 3:10 AM

Oct 2014
So,

we saw the Boat at the and of chapter 278 and they left it at chapter 342.
That's over 9 fucking years of the Boat.

fml
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

16 by kihel »»
11 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

25 by cody »»
12 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.