Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2017 12:05 PM

Sep 2015
There are many series out there that are not nessasarily mainstream but ones that most ppl have watched and sort of define the genre. Maid-sama and toradora for romance. Magi and Fairy Tail for magic and adventure. Elfen lied, higarashi (maybe), Mirai nikki, for phychological. The kinds you should've at least heard of if not watched. Log horizon, accel world and sao (say what you want but it's true) for the mmo genre. Nostolgia trips like dragon ball and pokemon. So I'm looking for iconic anime that define their genre.
Mar 25, 2017 12:14 PM

Jan 2016
Uchuu Senkan Yamato
Gundam 0079
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Mar 25, 2017 12:16 PM

Dec 2015
Dragon Ball didn't define the "nostalgia trip" genre, it helped concretising the form shônen nekketsu (action adventures for young boys, if you want) adopted from the 90s and forward. (and it, by the way, makes Fairy Tail coming far too late to shape this definition)
Osamu Tezuka was among the first to define this genre (manga and animation) with his titles, notably The Treasure Island.

Go Nagai and consorts defined the "super robot" sub-genre in the 70s (manga and anime). Mobile Suit Gundam and a few of its later contemporaries defined the "real robot" pendant a few years later.

I lack knowledge about romance anime/manga but I am absolutely sure that ToraDora didn't participate in defining the romance genre. (plus it was a novel first).
Romcoms definition and limitations were probably partially forged by Takahashi Rumiko's works.

Pokémon is basically following the road paved by long series like Doraemon (sorry but I'm unsure of the first trying this type of story).

You're probably right about Sword Art Online in that it started this "lost in virtual world" trend on japanese TV. Sadly, the two (or three?) .hack multimedia sagas didn't helped shaping this trend.

edit: right, Yamato brought the space opera "genre" to japanese animation.

edit2: oh, right! Thanks to @YatoGod, I realized I forgot to give what defined sport anime on japanese TV for a long time: Ace wo nerae! ! (correct me if I made an error)

And about shônen nekketsu, Ring ni Kakero was THE title who inseminated the "dungeon scramble" type of arc and the super techniques with cool names. It probably also started the unbridled "super-sport" sub-genre, while not fully going wild itself.

And about shônen sport nekketsu particularly... well, allow me to guess that Captain Tsubasa was the title who incorporated the first such dramatics. (but I must be totally wrong here XD)

edit @Red_Fox09 I actually thought the Digimon Adventure series and the .hack ones were two steps on a road Bandai made in a short time, so you might be true. ^^ (but I considered the term "define" as in "instauring what would be then reused and reused" and thought that it could'nt be applied to .hack though I would have liked it to be much more powerful in setting the "MMO stories" style)
The Megazone animation is the oldest one I've seen revolving around a virtual world but it didn't seem influential (unless you count Matrix maybe? XD)

edit @Johnnyd3rp Didn't Harenchi Gakuen come before Cutie Honey?

@Cnon What was the (sub-)genres they helped to build?
edit @Cnon Thank you, I would have never imagined that Bebop shaped the genre of thriller in japanese animation.
As for Devilman Lady, I need to watch it (and a few more things)in order to appreciate what it durably changed to horror "japanimation" in a period where this genre was pretty rare.

@Clebardman Not all genre-defining works are good though, a lot simply lay the path/refine it for successors to follow.
Rei_IIIMar 25, 2017 11:39 PM
Mar 25, 2017 12:31 PM

Oct 2015
I think it was the .Hack// series that defined if not began the whole "virtual world" genre. SAO might be the most popular in the genre, however it didn't define nor did it begin it.
Heck you could consider Digimon as stuck in a virtual world, and that was popular before SAO ever came around.

EDIT:
Rei366 said:
edit @Red_Fox09 I actually thought the Digimon Adventure series and the .hack ones were two steps on a road Bandai made in a short time, so you might be true. ^^ (but I considered the term "define" as in "instauring what would be then reused and reused" and thought that it could'nt be applied to .hack though I would have liked it to be much more powerful in setting the "MMO stories" style)
The Megazone animation is the oldest one I've seen revolving around a virtual world but it didn't seem influential (unless you count Matrix maybe? XD)

@Rei366
I'll agree to your defintion of "define" in regards to the point of this thread. I guess I was more of going towards what "began" the genre. Although in this instance "define" would also be subjected to the time period, because if we were discussing this in 2012 people would probably be saying Accel World defined it. If we go back further, .Hack or Digimon.

As far as the "concept" of being stuck in an MMO, I think I'll stick with .Hack as beginning it for now. Were as there's other shows that came before that began the whole stuck in virtual / other world.
I haven't seen Megazone, so I can't comment in regards to it as I know nothing about it.
Red_Fox09Mar 25, 2017 12:57 PM
Mar 25, 2017 1:20 PM
Mar 2017
Texhnolyze defines whatever genre it is. When I think depressingly neo-nihilist, noir animation, I think of this one. Calimero is a 70s nostalgia trip for many who lived in Western Europe if you ask me.
Mar 25, 2017 1:36 PM

Jan 2016
Rei366 said:

Romcoms definition and limitations were probably partially forged by Takahashi Rumiko's works.

Definitely, the success of Maison Ikkoku had a great impact in the industry. Also Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura probably is the manga/anime that created the harem genre.

Regarding Go Nagai Cutey Honey is the anime/manga who gave inspiration to the modern magical girls genre for example with the nude transformation scenes. It also probably was one of the first "ecchi" show if not the first. That man is a legend.

@Rei366 You're probably right, i totally forgot about it.
Johnnyd3rpMar 25, 2017 2:04 PM
Mar 25, 2017 3:00 PM

Mar 2016
-Highschool dxd defines ecchi and harem perfectly unlike other anime that show panties and big boobs and call it ecchi.

-Akatsuki No Yona imo is a good example for shoujo, it shows a really strong character of a female protagonist.

-Haikyuu and perhaps baby steps (I have yet to watch it but read it's review) define a good sports anime as they show you don't get great in any sport overnight unless you are genious or very talented. Alot of dedication, hard work and team work (for team sports) is required to become good.
Mar 25, 2017 3:12 PM

Oct 2014
I'd recommend Devilman Lady from Go Nagai
and Cowboy Bebop of course
Mar 25, 2017 3:43 PM

Apr 2014
So basically highly influential anime that aren't as disgustingly popular as One Piece, Naruto, and Dragon Ball Z?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Fist of the North Star, Ushio to Tora, Ranma 1/2 (and basically everything else Rumiko Takahashi wrote before Inuyasha), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, .Hack//

Also, look into some tokusatsu shows, most notably Kamen Rider and Ultraman. They're live action but are super influential in the world of Japanese superheroes and giant monsters.
Mar 25, 2017 3:49 PM

Oct 2014
@Rei366
for me thriller and horror.
Mar 25, 2017 4:08 PM

Jul 2015
@Cnon I'd agree that the Devilman Lady anime is probably the best horror show I saw yet. The first episodes were close to perfection, but the stiff animation and a repetitive formula kinda get in the way later. Still a great anime...

And that soundtrack. Oo
Mar 25, 2017 5:11 PM

May 2012
I don't know if Azumanga Daioh "created" the "cute-girls-doing-cute-things" type of story, but even if not, it was pretty influential.

Excel Saga was pretty unique when it appeared, I believe.
Mar 25, 2017 5:15 PM
Mar 2016
Yuri Kuma Arashi defined the unintentional trash genre. Along with Yaoi on Ice.

(alright guys, I better take cover now :D )
Mar 25, 2017 11:28 PM

Oct 2014
Clebardman said:
@Cnon I'd agree that the Devilman Lady anime is probably the best horror show I saw yet. The first episodes were close to perfection, but the stiff animation and a repetitive formula kinda get in the way later. Still a great anime...

And that soundtrack. Oo

yeah soundtracks were awesome.
Mar 26, 2017 12:26 AM
Oct 2016
Overfoxed said:
Yuri Kuma Arashi defined the unintentional trash genre. Along with Yaoi on Ice.

(alright guys, I better take cover now :D )

YOU LITERALLY JUST TRIGGERED 1000000 FANGIRL'S JUDGEMENT.

well it was nice knowing you!
Mar 26, 2017 12:53 AM

Jun 2011
Battle shounen : Dragon Ball Z
Basketball anime : Slam Dunk
Baseball anime : Major
Tennis anime : Prince of Tennis
Soccer anime : Captain Tsubasa
Board Game anime : Hikaru no Go / Shion no Ou
Ping Pong anime : Ping Pong the Animation
Cycling anime : Overdrive / Nasu
Boxing anime : Hajime no Ippo / Ashita no Joe
Racing anime : Initial D
Mystery : Detective Conan / Kindaichi Case Files
Slice of Life : Mushishi
Mecha : Gundam
Psychological : NGE
Comedy : Gintama
Adventure : One Piece
Thriller : Monster / Death Note
Music : Nodame Cantabile / Beck / Nana
Samurai : Rurouni Kenshin
Horror : Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Martial arts : History Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Seinen : Berserk
Shoujo : Kaichou wa Maid-sama / Nana
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 26, 2017 8:05 AM

May 2012
ToG25thBaam said:

Usually I see commentators pointing to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō (1998) as the prototype for the SOL genre, along with Aria which appeared in the same year (2005) as Mushishi.
Mar 26, 2017 8:24 AM

Oct 2008
SeijiSensei said:
ToG25thBaam said:

Usually I see commentators pointing to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō (1998) as the prototype for the SOL genre, along with Aria which appeared in the same year (2005) as Mushishi.

Mushishi is considered SoL? *shrugs*
Mar 26, 2017 10:08 AM

Jun 2011
SeijiSensei said:
Maybe it is the case for the manga of YKK, but it only has a total of 4 episodes(?) in anime form. I've definitely left out Aria (though I personally have not seen it yet) and maybe Kino no Tabi too.

n10sity said:
Mushishi is considered SoL? *shrugs*
why not?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 26, 2017 10:59 AM

Aug 2015
I think Haikyuu is gonna become the modern day sports classic considering how popular it is in Japan

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
9 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.