Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Interviews with Monster Girls
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 26, 2017 2:30 PM

Feb 2008
I will definitely be missing Hikari, her positivity is admirable. Of course, I have grown rather fond of the rest of the lot as well. The show is a fine example of slice of life.

The finale itself was as amusing as it was satisfying. The story was concluded well, without sacrificing any of the hilarity.
Mar 26, 2017 4:18 PM

Jan 2011
Interesting slice of life. Took a different path than most. I personally thoroughly enjoyed it. Liked the whole cast and felt it was funny enough to pass as a decent comedy. A favorite from this season.
Mar 26, 2017 6:51 PM

Jul 2015
Was wondering how they were going to handle this episode and it's swimsuit fan service. They did fine here. Satou had a lot of time in the spot light trying to get to Takahashi, which was really enjoyable, too bad it went nowhere because hes as dense as he is buff. And ultimately, this episode was fun and really nice. This was a good finale, but it could have been better. Specifically, by swapping this episode with the previous with a few changes here and there but whatever, still freaking great. 10/10.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Mar 26, 2017 7:39 PM

Nov 2012
I was going to give this 8, but this episode definitely prove that it need a higher grade.

Fucking awesome. That Satou, I've seen watch/read hentai and ecchi but only for her my heart skipped a beat.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Mar 26, 2017 8:18 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
my low-key favorite show of the season is now over :(

idk what they'd do for a s2 but if possible, PLEASE
Mar 26, 2017 9:57 PM

Nov 2009
Laionidas said:
kowalski_1123 said:
...I mean, more demis pls, like werewolves, kappas, etc.

I get that some people are not into "moe, but don't you think you're pushing it? They've proven that a dullahan kan work, but a kappa? (>.<)

Petopeto-san had two kappa sisters. They were moe, not because they were kappas, but because they were mafia, and that got into the way of their family ties.

Zarator said:
flannan said:
@Zarator, while I'm sure you have an important political message to say, you should not deny the good things that Demi-chan already has, even if it does not have something you feel it needs. The original manga is not finished, so you can write to the author about things you feel should be included in it.

The good things Demi-chan has are things which you can find in a dozen other anime - do you rly need a list of anime with moe chars or heartwarming moments? The main problem is, there are many shows where these things are NOT the only thing the show is about. They play them in more original and interesting way. Demi-chan, on the other hand, is simply a moe show, nothing more, nothing else. There's basically nothing else to it than cute girls doing cute stuff with an excuse plot which follows overdone tropes (the shy girl, the girl who loves her teacher, etc.).

Also lol, if I were to write to each anime writer whose show I didn't like, that'd be quite a lot of drawing^^ Plus, as the forum discussion shows here, people like moe shows, apparently (either that, or they haven't realized/don't wanna realize what's bad or what's to be deconstructed about said shows).

As a final point, I do not intend to preach on any kind of political message whatsoever (unless you want to read my dislike of flat/shallow/monotone chars as "political", I guess)

I assure you - I do not need a list of moe anime. graph.anime.plus lists more SoL anime on my list that your list has completions.
What matters is - Demi-chan's characters are some of the most alive characters I've seen.
What makes it special is - Demi-chan talks about things like disabilities on an adult level. Sure, you might feel there is something wrong with the relationship dynamic, something that was done right in Katawa Shoujo. You might be right. I have not seen Katawa Shoujo yet, but I have heard it is very different from Demi-chan, with things spiraling into tragedies and madness at one wrong step. But if you ask me, Demi-chan's approach is more relevant.

Well, if the only thing you care about in a show like that is writing quality, and not here to make a political point, you really do not need to write to the author. You're just not used to SoL shows. Demi-chan stands out among them like a gem.
Deconstruction in itself is not valuable. Not until you have a trope to deconstruct. Change is only seen in comparison to status quo. Darkness can only be known once one has seen the light.
Mar 26, 2017 11:39 PM

Jan 2014
Satou sensei please S U C C me
Mar 27, 2017 12:22 AM

Oct 2013
Sensei's ripped af. Sakie needed more screentime. 7/10
Mar 27, 2017 12:44 AM

Jul 2015
Man... As always, I was having a great time watching this episode... then the ending started and I remembered this was the last episode... :'c

Hope Minami Shinoda gets more main roles, what a beautiful voice. Every seiyuu was great though.
OMG Sakie... why so hot? :3

One of my top 3 favorite of the season along with Kobayashi-san and Urara.
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Mar 27, 2017 1:25 AM

Jun 2015
My favorite anime for the moment came to an end. I was worried previously that it'd be fanservicey, and while it was, the fanservice centered mainly on sensei and the succubus.

I don't know why this story tugged at my heartstrings, but it did. What many misunderstand is that Tetsuo doesn't see his students as potential partners for a romantic or a sexual relationship, but as students with unique traits. I'm inclined to use the word 'disability', but the funny thing is that it depends on how you see their abilities. The colleague of Tetsuo's from a while back, for example, thinks Machi's head portal can answer some serious questions. Vampire girl can see in the dark and ice woman sweats only from her feet. I'd love to have that last ability.

All in all, this has become my favorite anime. It doesn't think of its viewers as stupid, has an interesting approach to the whole monster girl genre and manages to stay interesting and enjoyable throughout all of its episodes. While I feel that my score is high as a kite, in the end the series deserves all of the praise.

10/10.
uh oh!
Mar 27, 2017 3:23 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:

I assure you - I do not need a list of moe anime. graph.anime.plus lists more SoL anime on my list that your list has completions.
What matters is - Demi-chan's characters are some of the most alive characters I've seen.
What makes it special is - Demi-chan talks about things like disabilities on an adult level. Sure, you might feel there is something wrong with the relationship dynamic, something that was done right in Katawa Shoujo. You might be right. I have not seen Katawa Shoujo yet, but I have heard it is very different from Demi-chan, with things spiraling into tragedies and madness at one wrong step. But if you ask me, Demi-chan's approach is more relevant.

Well, if the only thing you care about in a show like that is writing quality, and not here to make a political point, you really do not need to write to the author. You're just not used to SoL shows. Demi-chan stands out among them like a gem.
Deconstruction in itself is not valuable. Not until you have a trope to deconstruct. Change is only seen in comparison to status quo. Darkness can only be known once one has seen the light.

First of all, the point about Katawa Shoujo is not tragedy lol - it's not School Days. Sure, there are also bad endings, as well as good endings, but that's sorta the reason why it's a more realistic and adult approach to the theme than Demi-chan. Katawa Shoujo actually portrays disabled people with issues which are not just reduced to their disabled condition, and also shows that if you really want to help a person, you must put trust in his/her ability to stand on his/her feet, not push on a dangerous "white-knight" attitude (as shown, and barely addressed besides ep. 11, in Demi-chan). But most importantly, unlike in Demi-chan, it's the disabled girls who call the MC out on his white-knight attitude. Unlike the girls in Demi-chan, who seem to be completely fine with being babysat like they were kids, the girls in Katawa Shoujo are actually independent beings with different personalities, some of which are simply at odds with an MC who feels he's their one and only savior. This, if you ask me, is an actually mature way to treat the theme, not Demi-chan - and I'd urge you to try it out for yourself (if you can't stand the tragedy, go for the good endings only).

As far as being used to SoL, on the other hand... have you even glanced at my anime list? I've watched dozens of SoL shows - in fact, over 50% of the anime I've watched are SoL. But the difference is that, in most of these SoL, the show actually does something beyond giving us a buncha moes to baww about. Some of these things are:

(1) distinguishing the characters, providing them with different personalities and perhaps also conflicting ones. Conflict is not necessarily a bad thing, and can be an important path towards character development.

(2) making things HAPPEN. Just because it's a SoL doesn't mean it should be completely uneventful. Even normal high school life can provide plenty of issues and problems to overcome. Dealing with classmates who misunderstand you, for example... or with school grades... or with love issues, or whatever. Demi-chan sometimes touches upon this points, but only to wrap them up incredibly fast (except the love issues, which stay the same from beginning to the end and hardly advance - because ofc they cannot advance, status quo is god in a show like this). Apparently, spending an episode to tell us what kind of metaphysical hole connects Kyouko's head to her body is more important than giving us such characterizations and events.

You say that deconstruction is not valuable until the original tropes which are meant to be deconstructed are actually explored. You're absolutely right. But as you mention yourself, SoLs are already rife with heartwarming shows like Demi-chan - and whether or not Demi-chan stands as a gem among them is actually debatable (I'd take Toradora, Haruhi Suzumiya, Kokoro Connect, GTO or many others over it ANY time of the day - just check the list: https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/36/Slice_of_Life).
This is why deconstructions of the kind Katawa Shoujo does are required. How many shows have you heard a girl telling the MC something like "So you want to fix me? Wanna swoop in your white charger and save the day? Well, you can't. Nobody can. Nobody will."? Anime rarely condemn this sort of protective attitude, or show why the receiver of such an attitude could be uncomfortable with it, even when (especially when) they actually harbor feelings for the "white knight wannabe". But that's what is actually more likely to happen in real life, and we definitely need more slice of life which embrace realistic characterization, rather than provide shallow, overdone and childish escapism like Demi-chan. I strongly urge you to try Katawa Shoujo and see the difference for yourself, you might be surprised.
Mar 27, 2017 3:59 AM
Jan 2016
Protoz said:
How a biology teacher who spent most of his time sitting behind desk can build all of those muscles is beyond me

flannan said:
Or maybe he does work out. One does not get muscles like that without working out. Unless it's anime magic that makes everybody good-looking at work.

It was explained to me that the biology major in Japanese universities requires students to get "hands on" experience (much like how the CompSci major in US universities require credits in second writing classes), so many wind up taking agricultural courses where they work on farms and it's common to have biologists and biology teachers who are fit (not necessarily buff) because of their time doing manual labor.

Of course, bulking up and maintaining that build would have to be entirely from Tetsuo's own efforts.
Mar 27, 2017 4:33 AM

Nov 2009
Zarator said:
flannan said:

First of all, the point about Katawa Shoujo is not tragedy lol - it's not School Days. Sure, there are also bad endings, as well as good endings, but that's sorta the reason why it's a more realistic and adult approach to the theme than Demi-chan. Katawa Shoujo actually portrays disabled people with issues which are not just reduced to their disabled condition, and also shows that if you really want to help a person, you must put trust in his/her ability to stand on his/her feet, not push on a dangerous "white-knight" attitude (as shown, and barely addressed besides ep. 11, in Demi-chan). But most importantly, unlike in Demi-chan, it's the disabled girls who call the MC out on his white-knight attitude. Unlike the girls in Demi-chan, who seem to be completely fine with being babysat like they were kids, the girls in Katawa Shoujo are actually independent beings with different personalities, some of which are simply at odds with an MC who feels he's their one and only savior. This, if you ask me, is an actually mature way to treat the theme, not Demi-chan - and I'd urge you to try it out for yourself (if you can't stand the tragedy, go for the good endings only).

As far as being used to SoL, on the other hand... have you even glanced at my anime list? I've watched dozens of SoL shows - in fact, over 50% of the anime I've watched are SoL. But the difference is that, in most of these SoL, the show actually does something beyond giving us a buncha moes to baww about. Some of these things are:

(1) distinguishing the characters, providing them with different personalities and perhaps also conflicting ones. Conflict is not necessarily a bad thing, and can be an important path towards character development.

(2) making things HAPPEN. Just because it's a SoL doesn't mean it should be completely uneventful. Even normal high school life can provide plenty of issues and problems to overcome. Dealing with classmates who misunderstand you, for example... or with school grades... or with love issues, or whatever. Demi-chan sometimes touches upon this points, but only to wrap them up incredibly fast (except the love issues, which stay the same from beginning to the end and hardly advance - because ofc they cannot advance, status quo is god in a show like this). Apparently, spending an episode to tell us what kind of metaphysical hole connects Kyouko's head to her body is more important than giving us such characterizations and events.

No, I did not explore your anime list. I just judged by your attitude. (I am not your personal psychologist)
Sure, a lot of shows get a SoL label. But the essence of SoL genre is seen in shows which aren't as much romance, comedy or some other genre. Shows like Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, K-On, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, Gakkougurashi and others.
To them, Demi-chan's rate of things happening is perfectly acceptable.
I do understand that many people will find these shows boring - despite accessibility, this genre is not really for everyone.

I have no problems distinguishing the personalities of everybody in Demi-chan. A show does not have to be SHnY-level dysfunction junction to work. Especially when it tries to be realistic and serious.

Zarator said:
You say that deconstruction is not valuable until the original tropes which are meant to be deconstructed are actually explored. You're absolutely right. But as you mention yourself, SoLs are already rife with heartwarming shows like Demi-chan - and whether or not Demi-chan stands as a gem among them is actually debatable (I'd take Toradora, Haruhi Suzumiya, Kokoro Connect, GTO or many others over it ANY time of the day - just check the list: https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/36/Slice_of_Life).
This is why deconstructions of the kind Katawa Shoujo does are required. How many shows have you heard a girl telling the MC something like "So you want to fix me? Wanna swoop in your white charger and save the day? Well, you can't. Nobody can. Nobody will."? Anime rarely condemn this sort of protective attitude, or show why the receiver of such an attitude could be uncomfortable with it, even when (especially when) they actually harbor feelings for the "white knight wannabe". But that's what is actually more likely to happen in real life, and we definitely need more slice of life which embrace realistic characterization, rather than provide shallow, overdone and childish escapism like Demi-chan. I strongly urge you to try Katawa Shoujo and see the difference for yourself, you might be surprised.

First of all, you should be aware of cultural differences. Whatever the individualistic West might have told you is right, collectivist Japan is very much about helping each other. It is okay to rely on others when you need it, and help out other people when they need it. Many anime characters learn this in their stories.

Second, no, there is no baseline in for people helping each other with their internal problems in anime.
There are a number of shows about people becoming saner and more humane through friendship and knowing each other, but these relationships are relationships between equals: Kokoro Connect, Haganai.
Most of the time, when faced with a person who has any problems, like in Chuu2Koi, the characters are at a complete loss as to what to do.
The "beat them up and give them a hug" approach of Nanoha is obviously not applicable in real life. And even if it works, it can only make you the other person's friend, not magically solve any other kind of problem. Fortunately, in such shows, most other problems can be solved by beating them up too.
Shows like Kuusen Madoushi, where somebody deliberately helps another person with his/her internal problems, are rare enough that there is no baseline for that.
Mar 27, 2017 5:35 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:

No, I did not explore your anime list. I just judged by your attitude. (I am not your personal psychologist)
Sure, a lot of shows get a SoL label. But the essence of SoL genre is seen in shows which aren't as much romance, comedy or some other genre. Shows like Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, K-On, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei, Gakkougurashi and others.
To them, Demi-chan's rate of things happening is perfectly acceptable.
I do understand that many people will find these shows boring - despite accessibility, this genre is not really for everyone.

I have no problems distinguishing the personalities of everybody in Demi-chan. A show does not have to be SHnY-level dysfunction junction to work. Especially when it tries to be realistic and serious.

I don't think you can pick a single genre and expect a work to be great when it fits basically no other tag or label. Would a work which fits solely into Mahou Shoujo be great? What about Thriller? Comedy? While blending a lot of things can have awkward results (or good ones, like arguably Haruhi Suzumiya), most highly rated works manage to at least combines a few elements to achieve their result, and there's nothing wrong with it - most genres/labels can be pretty bland or shallow by themselves, but when combined with other aspects they can enhance the enjoyment and quality factors significantly.

So it's not much about me disliking SoL, no matter how hard you try to preach it. Because I would likely say the same about ANY work which fits solely into one genre, without exploring other elements of the narrative. I can see some works managing to achieve new levels of originality by solely focusing on one genre - without any other ancillary elements - but I still have to find such a work. And Demi-chan definitely is no such work.

First of all, you should be aware of cultural differences. Whatever the individualistic West might have told you is right, collectivist Japan is very much about helping each other. It is okay to rely on others when you need it, and help out other people when they need it. Many anime characters learn this in their stories.

Of course I'm aware of cultural differences, but I don't believe original/good/memorable artworks are the ones which indulge in the most overdone or possibly negative aspects of one's own culture. For example, I dislike just as much the myriad movies/TV series which preach what you call the "individualistic West". Besides, there is a huge difference between "helping each other" and "babysitting somebody", like most moe shows encourage.

Second, no, there is no baseline in for people helping each other with their internal problems in anime.
There are a number of shows about people becoming saner and more humane through friendship and knowing each other, but these relationships are relationships between equals: Kokoro Connect, Haganai.
Most of the time, when faced with a person who has any problems, like in Chuu2Koi, the characters are at a complete loss as to what to do.
The "beat them up and give them a hug" approach of Nanoha is obviously not applicable in real life. And even if it works, it can only make you the other person's friend, not magically solve any other kind of problem. Fortunately, in such shows, most other problems can be solved by beating them up too.
Shows like Kuusen Madoushi, where somebody deliberately helps another person with his/her internal problems, are rare enough that there is no baseline for that.

I don't see why you picked Nanoha as an example - is really your idea that, when faced with a person who has more serious issues than you, your only options are either to "babysit them" like a white knight or "beat them up"? That's kinda awkward.

In reality, many people who have such issues do not need neither. They need somebody who can treat them for what they are, regardless of their issues. Of course, I'm not saying they expect people to be insensitive to their issues. But they definitely want people to be interested in them not because of their issues.

This is a strong part of why I think Demi-chan is a bad work. Takahashi-sensei and many other characters show an interest in the demis which is generally limited to their nature as demis. And what's worse, the demis don't seem to mind it at all. They almost never call out Takahashi or others for this reason. Again, if you checked Katawa Shoujo, you'd understand this point more clearly, as you could see with your eyes what's bad with treating a broken or odd person as a broken or odd person.

I guess I can imagine that somebody, somewhere, would actually prefer to be treated like that. Maybe. But most of the people I know in real life do not. And not because they're "individualistic", as you say, but simply because they expect people to harbor feelings for them for reasons beyond their own oddities or flaws. Even when they're not equals. Perhaps, especially when they're not equals. That's the sort of mature message I expected Demi-chan to deliver at some point in the narrative, but never did. Instead, what I get was... a moe show. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe I'm biased, I dunno, but I just can't bring myself to give a decent score to a show whose basic or only premise is being, well, a moe show.
Mar 27, 2017 8:02 AM

Jun 2016
The last episode is probably the most relaxing episode. It's cute when Machi gets ready on being submersed on the pool. It's also cute when Hikari borrow Takahashi sense's cape and acts like a vampire then sensei spots her pantsu. Guehehe.

All hail to the super urge controller Takahashi Sensei. ^^
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Mar 27, 2017 8:13 AM

Nov 2009
Zarator said:
Besides, there is a huge difference between "helping each other" and "babysitting somebody", like most moe shows encourage.

Give me some examples of moe shows that encourage to "babysit" anybody who isn't a baby, or at least has problems on Shiina Mashiro's level.
Demi-chan sure isn't an example. Takahashi-sensei isn't helping the girls out much more than his job as a teacher entails.

Zarator said:
In reality, many people who have such issues do not need neither. They need somebody who can treat them for what they are, regardless of their issues. Of course, I'm not saying they expect people to be insensitive to their issues. But they definitely want people to be interested in them not because of their issues.

This is a strong part of why I think Demi-chan is a bad work. Takahashi-sensei and many other characters show an interest in the demis which is generally limited to their nature as demis. And what's worse, the demis don't seem to mind it at all. They almost never call out Takahashi or others for this reason. Again, if you checked Katawa Shoujo, you'd understand this point more clearly, as you could see with your eyes what's bad with treating a broken or odd person as a broken or odd person.

I guess I can imagine that somebody, somewhere, would actually prefer to be treated like that. Maybe. But most of the people I know in real life do not. And not because they're "individualistic", as you say, but simply because they expect people to harbor feelings for them for reasons beyond their own oddities or flaws. Even when they're not equals. Perhaps, especially when they're not equals. That's the sort of mature message I expected Demi-chan to deliver at some point in the narrative, but never did. Instead, what I get was... a moe show. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe I'm biased, I dunno, but I just can't bring myself to give a decent score to a show whose basic or only premise is being, well, a moe show.

Even if Takahashi-sensei got interested in the girls at first because they were demis, it does not mean their bond is that shallow. He (and the viewers) get to know and love them as people.
Just look at this topic: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1600319 . It is written because Kyouko is such a great person, not because dullahans are fun or somebody's fetish.
Same with Hikari - we love her because she is a fun person, not because she is a vampire.
And Sakie-sensei got people to like her without any succubus powers affecting us on this side of the screen.
Maybe Yuki will shine like that too one day.
Mar 27, 2017 8:30 AM

May 2016
This anime is surly one of the best in winter season. Honestly i would really like to see more episodes.
Mar 27, 2017 9:49 AM
Dec 2013
I always say this at the end of every season but darn it I am going to miss these characters.
Mar 27, 2017 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
Very bad anime, but my dick eyes liked this episode.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Mar 27, 2017 10:25 AM
Jan 2015
It was an alright show, got a bit boring at later episodes but I guess it wasn't that bad 7/10
Mar 27, 2017 10:28 AM

Jul 2016
flannan said:

Give me some examples of moe shows that encourage to "babysit" anybody who isn't a baby, or at least has problems on Shiina Mashiro's level.
Demi-chan sure isn't an example. Takahashi-sensei isn't helping the girls out much more than his job as a teacher entails.

It might not be that bad (I did try to watch that other anime but dropped it very soon exactly because of the character you linked), but if you can't be honestly tell me that Takahashi-sensei is helping the girls within the boundaries of his teaching role.

Of course, there is not necessarily wrong with this - generally in shows involving teachers as main characters we do expect them to help/interact with their students beyond their teaching duties. But the problem is that the way Takahashi-sensei helps these girls beyond his duties sounds overly attentive and questionably helping in terms of making a person stand up for himself/herself (whether the girls say so or not is another matter - if anything, it calls into question the realism of their portrayal). Heck, it's one of the few things he is (rightfully so) called out for in the anime itself. Ofc the anime quickly backpedals within a ten minutes or so on it, after the girls rise to Takahashi-sensei's defense... but again, how much does this tell us about the correctness of Takahashi-sensei's behaviour in a RL scenario, and how much does it tell us about how unrealistic the behaviour of these girls is from a RL standard? Again, I can see why you'd endorse the former, but experience brought me to endorse the latter.

Also, if I were to make an example, I'd say Eikichi Onizuka from GTO is much better at actually teaching his own (heavily burdened by issues) students to grow up and stand up by themselves. He also does way more than he would have to as a teacher, just like Takahashi-sensei. But unlike Takahashi-sensei, Onizuka actually spurs his students to be men and women (and work together), rather than just treat them with silk hands at every turn.

Even if Takahashi-sensei got interested in the girls at first because they were demis, it does not mean their bond is that shallow. He (and the viewers) get to know and love them as people.
Just look at this topic: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1600319 . It is written because Kyouko is such a great person, not because dullahans are fun or somebody's fetish.
Same with Hikari - we love her because she is a fun person, not because she is a vampire.
And Sakie-sensei got people to like her without any succubus powers affecting us on this side of the screen.

If saying that Hikari is "fun" is enough for you to see her as a well-rounded person, good for you! Frankly, I've seen supporting characters in other SoL with more depth than she has. Same for Sakie-sensei... all we learn about her is that (1) she's a succubus; (2) she's in love with Takahashi-sensei; (3) She has issues with her succubus nature which she might eventually overcome. The end. Again, compare it with many other examples of female chars (even teachers!) falling in love with a male char, and see how much deeper a char can be. Azusa Fuyutsuki from the aforementioned GTO, for example, starts mostly as just a teacher who's in love with the teacher MC (Onizuka), just like Sakie. But as the story goes on, we learn of her issues with students, she has to deal with another (quite troublesome) love interest, she has to question her own ideals as a teacher, and she's often involved to various degrees into Onizuka's own stunts and adventures, sometimes helping the latter with timely advice or action. And many of these points come up within the first 12 episodes, as well, proving that you don't need a 2-4-coeur anime to give depth to a char. Ofc, this all worked because much less airtime was dedicated to raise Azusa's moe points with repetitive heartwarming scenes but hey! If you like them that's good for you. To me, it came down as repetitive and overdone in this respect - as if the show expected me to care just 'cause they're moe.

Overall, what this tells me is that as long as a char is moe, people will get on board even with minimal characterization. Just ask yourself: were these char not looking/behaving in a "moe" way, would this anime be as popular? Sadly, I'm pretty sure it would not.
ZaratorMar 27, 2017 10:33 AM
Mar 27, 2017 11:35 AM

Dec 2013
Hands down the best SoL of the season.
Loved the fact that they deviated from the usual shenanigans throughout to give us a carefully constructed and well thought out world that focused on real life, humanly relateable issues, even despite all the fantastical stuff included in there. Loved all the scientific hypothesis testing and psychological and emotional theories which they sprinkled into this.

Kids acting like kids and adults acting like actual adults. A beautiful show with great comic relief at the right times. They never seemed to put a foot wrong with this show.

Hoping for a season 2 down the line, though I'd prefer if they sped up translating the manga first...
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 27, 2017 1:42 PM

May 2010
Tetsuo pls, she pretty much declared her love for you.

Great series. Every character was awesome. 9.44/10
Mar 27, 2017 6:54 PM

Aug 2014
Gonna miss this show so much :'D
Overall 9/10.

PS : Hikari still the Best girl.
Mar 27, 2017 11:17 PM

Aug 2016
This deserves one more season, I need more of the sensei Succubus xD

Apart it wouldn't hurt to add more monsters.
Mar 28, 2017 4:31 AM

Nov 2009
Zarator said:
flannan said:

If saying that Hikari is "fun" is enough for you to see her as a well-rounded person, good for you! Frankly, I've seen supporting characters in other SoL with more depth than she has. Same for Sakie-sensei... all we learn about her is that (1) she's a succubus; (2) she's in love with Takahashi-sensei; (3) She has issues with her succubus nature which she might eventually overcome. The end. Again, compare it with many other examples of female chars (even teachers!) falling in love with a male char, and see how much deeper a char can be. Azusa Fuyutsuki from the aforementioned GTO, for example, starts mostly as just a teacher who's in love with the teacher MC (Onizuka), just like Sakie. But as the story goes on, we learn of her issues with students, she has to deal with another (quite troublesome) love interest, she has to question her own ideals as a teacher, and she's often involved to various degrees into Onizuka's own stunts and adventures, sometimes helping the latter with timely advice or action. And many of these points come up within the first 12 episodes, as well, proving that you don't need a 2-4-coeur anime to give depth to a char. Ofc, this all worked because much less airtime was dedicated to raise Azusa's moe points with repetitive heartwarming scenes but hey! If you like them that's good for you. To me, it came down as repetitive and overdone in this respect - as if the show expected me to care just 'cause they're moe.

Overall, what this tells me is that as long as a char is moe, people will get on board even with minimal characterization. Just ask yourself: were these char not looking/behaving in a "moe" way, would this anime be as popular? Sadly, I'm pretty sure it would not.

This anime is popular because the characters are very realistic/believable. They do not suffer drama at the drop of a hat and can take psychological punches. They have agency and do things nobody asked them to do. They are capable of restraining themselves when needed. They have their personality flaws, and do not make the viewer think they should be put in a mental hospital for them.

Those three things are the only things you've learned about Satou-sensei? Well, you've been blinded by your hatred of moe.
She does not "have issues with her succubus nature". She is a responsible adult who makes sure not to hurt others with her powers. Even if it means her personal life is quite hard.
The only problems with her nature she has is the usual feminine "the guys only want me for my body", except exaggerated.
She likes humor, and is not above using her powers to get a reaction out of Takahashi-sensei.
She knows martial arts and can take care of herself if necessary.
For some reason, her relationship with the policeman in charge of succubi is stronger than with her real parents.
Mar 28, 2017 6:04 AM

Oct 2013
Initially i tot this might be a loosely story

But the demi girls just like each individual person who has a unique self. I love the episode when hikari was motivating sensei.

It was hardwarming and i was glad the vp wasn't just trying to stop sensei from interacting with the girls.

Glad to watch this series. 8/10
Mar 28, 2017 6:18 AM

Aug 2014
Finally see extra skins from the succubus! I can die happy now..!

And it ended now. Overall.... Pretty decent? Quite a lot of boring moments, while there are also some good moments mixed in it.
This series started really good, but it felt really boring and boring after episodes.

Still... I'll give this 7/10 because of Satou-sensei. Too bad she didn't get much development compared to others (a date ep with Takahashi-sensei or at least more interactions would be nice)
Even so, she still more attractive than others, probably because other 3 demis are kinda boring..

.....And they didn't explain shit about what is up with that foreign kid after all. He's still bothering me for some reason..!
Mar 28, 2017 2:11 PM

Jun 2013
a nice and easy going finale
Mar 28, 2017 2:12 PM

Jul 2009
The famous pool episode. Takahashi's have a nice body, I ship him with Saitou!

7/10
Mar 28, 2017 7:04 PM

Feb 2015
The first episode already got me hooked to this show as it delivered. Glad I gave this anime a chance.

I won't mind this getting a second season. I'll be happy to see more from Satou-sensei them just how they enjoy the company of each other. I'm gonna miss this one as well.

Chill series + likable characters. 8/10
Mar 29, 2017 9:49 AM

Jan 2013
Ah so sad it's over. My fave anime this winter. ;; I will miss them. I wouldn't mind a second season with more Kurtz-kun in it. :) 7/10

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Mar 29, 2017 10:13 AM
Mar 2017
Whats the bgm in episode 12 the time when macchi went under the water pool??

Is it ok to ask??
Mar 29, 2017 7:27 PM

Feb 2013
This was an adorable show!! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

8/10
Mar 30, 2017 12:41 AM

Oct 2014
Any chances of a S2?
Are enough material to adapt?
Mar 30, 2017 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
Can't believe it's already over.
This anime was a pleasant surprise for me.
You can't deny that Hikari is the best girl xD
That bikini part omg xD Poor Takahashi-sensei haha
Damn, sensei is strong xD

I know there isn't enough material for a S2 but i will wait!!! Until then i always have the manga ;)

Loved that ending moment between Takahashi and Hikari, they are the best :3
She always makes me laugh, her face is so funny :D

How can you not love her? hahah

Damn, i will miss this. 9/10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Mar 30, 2017 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
Varete7 said:
Any chances of a S2?
Are enough material to adapt?

From what i've read, there is like no material to adapt, they adapted everything in 12 episodes. :(
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Mar 31, 2017 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
Well it ended with the pool chapter huh?
It's so bad it has to end, well it can't be helped.
Anyway, I'll rate this anime an 8 out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 1, 2017 12:45 AM

May 2016
Magnificently beautiful, I agree wholeheartedly. This episode was beautiful and just perfect to end this anime. I really like this anime from the start and It's my first time watching an anime with genres: Comedy, Fantasy, School, Seinen. I couldn't picture out the anime, but it was beautiful and I really am grateful that I saw this anime. I hope that there will be a season 2 I couldn't get more happier. :)
Apr 1, 2017 1:18 PM
Mar 2012
Good ep. Hikari's quite adorable & this ep spent the proper screentime to bestvamp.
When their issues are relateable it's interesting, like the whole lifestyle inconvenience Sakie sensei deals with succubus, 'scientific' explanations like vamp shining eyes, wormhole etc. At times it's not relateable to any disability or reality, ends as bland infodump with no plot to follow thru, since it's supposed to be sol.
Esp Takahashi, they're mostly quality characters with some depth. Yuki parts didn't hold interest for me; I get the glass heart thing, but trivial issues taken too seriously & snowwomen stories weren't interesting. Her closed personality basis on the sad stories, and later opening up was worthwhile tho.
Himari & Tintin were funny. oh ironman lol. Mix of boring & good eps make it hard to rate, maybe 6-7.
Apr 1, 2017 6:52 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely final pool episode I must say, and whilst the overall story feels a bit lacking to be ending right now (and I wish to see a continuation on this), in general it was pretty lovely, had interesting characters and development.

So all in all a pretty lovely watch!
Apr 2, 2017 3:48 AM

Jun 2011
I must say, I am rather disappointed with this show. I really liked the first 3 or 4 episodes, but since then it hasn't had the same charm as it started with. First few episodes had some progression which introduced the main girls, but after that it's like the author had no idea how to progress the relationship even further, therefore making it feel extremely stagnant. I am also not a fan of the new side of "Yukki", her character is just completely different compared to how she was first introduced, and it's not even a "development" thing. It's like the author see no potential in the quiet shy girl archetype and change her personality troupe completely. It's also really weird that for some reason, Satou's aphrodisiac was completely ignored for the sake of the plot in this episode, almost like this is a filler episode based on that level of writing.

tl;dr episode 5-12 felt like fillers.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 4, 2017 7:39 AM

Jul 2009
Omg, what a happy-go-lucky pool episode XD Dang Satou and Takahashi are fanservice enough for everyone :3 Ending was soooo typical for Hikari though, thought it was a good way to close off the show :)

Amazing cast of characters in a feel-good show! I loved how we got to really connect with all of the characters. Plot was pretty decent and and the animation and music were good too. A couple of episodes felt a little weird, but it was definitely really fun to watch and surprisingly enjoyable! I actually didn't expect to like this show as much as I did. Probably around a 8.5 but not quite good enough for a 9, so rounding down as usual. 8/10
Apr 5, 2017 9:25 PM

Dec 2012
That was a pretty chill way to wrap it up. Shows like this don't need to go out with a bang, it's fine if they just stay as they are right until the end.

Demi-chan caught my attention when I first saw the PV. Above all, it was Hikari's antics that sold me on giving it a shot and it was Hikari that definitely kept me completely invested. I usually like genki-type characters like her, but she was especially silly and random which made her all the more amusing. Beyond that, however, I'd also say she was thoughtful as she often looked for ways to cheer Takahashi up, stood up for Yuki, and even reserved alone time for Machi to spend with Takahashi. And well, even though Takahashi's response about dealing with student crushes was appropriate this episode, I couldn't help but get the vibes of implied harem throughout the show (although part of me wouldn't mind rooting for Takashi x Hikari).

This show's unorthodox approach to the lore of various mythological creatures was refreshing and even somewhat educational. It was about shattering stereotypes & misconceptions and helping Hikari & company discover who they are both as Demis as well as normal girls. It was best phrased a few episodes ago when Takahashi describes the duality between those two natures and how it's important to be mindful of both.

7.5/10
Apr 5, 2017 11:43 PM

Feb 2014

Tsk. Tetsuo, if I were you, I'd grab her from behind & push her against a wall and

ProtozApr 6, 2017 12:06 AM
Apr 6, 2017 1:37 PM

Jun 2015
Takahashi-sensei is ripped as fuck!
Nice little show, would watch a second season.
Apr 6, 2017 3:43 PM

Nov 2012
Zarator said:
flannan said:

It might not be that bad (I did try to watch that other anime but dropped it very soon exactly because of the character you linked), but if you can't be honestly tell me that Takahashi-sensei is helping the girls within the boundaries of his teaching role.

Of course, there is not necessarily wrong with this - generally in shows involving teachers as main characters we do expect them to help/interact with their students beyond their teaching duties. But the problem is that the way Takahashi-sensei helps these girls beyond his duties sounds overly attentive and questionably helping in terms of making a person stand up for himself/herself (whether the girls say so or not is another matter - if anything, it calls into question the realism of their portrayal). Heck, it's one of the few things he is (rightfully so) called out for in the anime itself. Ofc the anime quickly backpedals within a ten minutes or so on it, after the girls rise to Takahashi-sensei's defense... but again, how much does this tell us about the correctness of Takahashi-sensei's behaviour in a RL scenario, and how much does it tell us about how unrealistic the behaviour of these girls is from a RL standard? Again, I can see why you'd endorse the former, but experience brought me to endorse the latter.

Also, if I were to make an example, I'd say Eikichi Onizuka from GTO is much better at actually teaching his own (heavily burdened by issues) students to grow up and stand up by themselves. He also does way more than he would have to as a teacher, just like Takahashi-sensei. But unlike Takahashi-sensei, Onizuka actually spurs his students to be men and women (and work together), rather than just treat them with silk hands at every turn.

1. A character doesn't need to be "deep" to be good, sometimes simple but likable personalities are effective as well.

2. Your premise is wrong, this characters aren't just "moe" and the show doesn't expect you to care only for that aspect.

Your extremely low rating is unwarranted.
Apr 6, 2017 4:05 PM

Jul 2016
SuperRed said:

1. A character doesn't need to be "deep" to be good, sometimes simple but likable personalities are effective as well.

You can find "simple but likeable" personalities almost everywhere in anime. Demi-chan is nothing special in this respect. Just pick any SoL and, 90% of the time it'll have overall "simple but likeable" (depending on your notion of "likeable" ofc, which is prolly broader than mine) characters.

The difference, here, is that many of those SoL give those characters something more than simple "likeability". They make them do something. They make them change. They put them in different, sometimes even conflictual situations. They don't wrap up any issues they have in one episode and call it a day.

2. Your premise is wrong, this characters aren't just "moe" and the show doesn't expect you to care only for that aspect.

It still was their main draw and - for chars like Hikari - almost the only thing you can tell about them other than very generic and not unique comments ("she's funny").

Again, I understand that some of you may not like me comparing this show with Katawa Shoujo, as many of you in this thread have not played it (understandably so, otherwise you wouldn't be here probably). But the comparison on this point is particularly compelling. KS also has somewhat "moe" and "cute" girls, but unlike Demi-chan, these girls are defined by more than just this, or their basic quirks, etc. They have complex sets of reasons, and they don't always behave like you'd expect them to.

But most importantly, they actually do not like being treated as "moe" or "cute"... just like most IRL people would react in a similar situation. The girls who fall in love for the male lead do not want the male lead to see them as "things" to protect, but as people in their own rights. The male lead's "white-knight" attitude (which is quite similar to Takahashi-sensei's) actually brings many of these girls to lose self-esteem and eventually distance (more or less abruptly) themselves from the MC, unless the MC makes the right decision to change his habits and starts treat them better. Again, if it does not make sense to you, you should play that game (or go out there and check out on IRL girls... that would prolly open your eyes as well).

Now, you could tell me "I don't give a damn about them acting realistically or not". Well, good for you. There's plenty of anime out there like this. And personally, I'm tired of them. Hence the low rating.

My "extremely low rating" is simply based on the consideration that every other show I've seen and rated so far was better in some way than this one. Maybe there are shows out there I'd rate even lower than this one (Glasslip maybe?), but I just don't watch those shows. And even then, this could at most result in me bumping Demi-chan to a 2 or 3 out of 10. I don't see myself giving it 4/10 or more, unless I bump all the other shows I've rated accordingly (which I don't see a reason to do, as I believe one should not be afraid of using all scores from 1 to 10).
Apr 6, 2017 4:40 PM

Nov 2012
Zarator said:
SuperRed said:

You can find "simple but likeable" personalities almost everywhere in anime. Demi-chan is nothing special in this respect. Just pick any SoL and, 90% of the time it'll have overall "simple but likeable" (depending on your notion of "likeable" ofc, which is prolly broader than mine) characters.

The difference, here, is that many of those SoL give those characters something more than simple "likeability". They make them do something. They make them change. They put them in different, sometimes even conflictual situations. They don't wrap up any issues they have in one episode and call it a day.

It still was their main draw and - for chars like Hikari - almost the only thing you can tell about them other than very generic and not unique comments ("she's funny").

Again, I understand that some of you may not like me comparing this show with Katawa Shoujo, as many of you in this thread have not played it (understandably so, otherwise you wouldn't be here probably). But the comparison on this point is particularly compelling. KS also has somewhat "moe" and "cute" girls, but unlike Demi-chan, these girls are defined by more than just this, or their basic quirks, etc. They have complex sets of reasons, and they don't always behave like you'd expect them to.

But most importantly, they actually do not like being treated as "moe" or "cute"... just like most IRL people would react in a similar situation. The girls who fall in love for the male lead do not want the male lead to see them as "things" to protect, but as people in their own rights. The male lead's "white-knight" attitude (which is quite similar to Takahashi-sensei's) actually brings many of these girls to lose self-esteem and eventually distance (more or less abruptly) themselves from the MC, unless the MC makes the right decision to change his habits and starts treat them better. Again, if it does not make sense to you, you should play that game (or go out there and check out on IRL girls... that would prolly open your eyes as well).

Now, you could tell me "I don't give a damn about them acting realistically or not". Well, good for you. There's plenty of anime out there like this. And personally, I'm tired of them. Hence the low rating.

My "extremely low rating" is simply based on the consideration that every other show I've seen and rated so far was better in some way than this one. Maybe there are shows out there I'd rate even lower than this one (Glasslip maybe?), but I just don't watch those shows. And even then, this could at most result in me bumping Demi-chan to a 2 or 3 out of 10. I don't see myself giving it 4/10 or more, unless I bump all the other shows I've rated accordingly (which I don't see a reason to do, as I believe one should not be afraid of using all scores from 1 to 10).
Zarator said:
SuperRed said:

"(understandably so, otherwise you wouldn't be here probably)"

What does this even mean?

I personally did not find anything about the characters behavior to be illogical or unrealistic, and I don't need to read Katawa Shoujo or whatever.

You seem to be overreacting, the teacher doesn't mistreat or disrespect his students in any way. Does he treat them like children that need to be supervised in every aspect of their lives?

In my opinion, a 1/10 should be reserved for the absolute lowest a show can be in all aspects.
Apr 6, 2017 5:12 PM

Jul 2016
SuperRed said:

"(understandably so, otherwise you wouldn't be here probably)"

What does this even mean?

I personally did not find anything about the characters behavior to be illogical or unrealistic, and I don't need to read Katawa Shoujo or whatever.

You seem to be overreacting, the teacher doesn't mistreat or disrespect his students in any way. Does he treat them like children that need to be supervised in every aspect of their lives?

In my opinion, a 1/10 should be reserved for the absolute lowest a show can be in all aspects.

You do not have a problem with how Takahashi behaves exactly because you've probably never been exposed to narrative fiction (or real-life experience) which opened your eyes with what is wrong about this sort of attitude.

Also, "Does he treat them like children that need to be supervised in every aspect of their lives?" Well... yes. He goes way beyond what is justifiable in his attention for these students, to the point that he is even called out on it by outsiders (in ep. 11). That's actually the point where I still considered giving the show a more reasonable score... except that the whole aesop was shot to the ground by the end of episode by the (grossly unrealistic and audience pandering, IMO) behaviour of the girls. Again, if you don't find their behaviour to be unrealistic, you should check works which point out to this issue before thinking you can come here to me and tell me "no they're not" and expecting me to nod. Once you did, maybe we can discuss.

Again, I gave it 1/10 just because I can't give it the same score as shows which are markedly better than them. But if you think this show deserves the same score as shows with real plot, chars, comedy/drama, and development like Kokoro Connect or Haruhi Suzumiya, then you clearly have an alien judgment meter to me.

If I wanted a relaxing, heartwarming, satisfying SoL which is not romance driven, So Ra No Wo To is way better than this one, and actually does a serious effort in portraying chars which go beyond their stereotypes and develop into something unique enough to warrant being remembered.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» This series would probably be better with at least SOME ecchi... ( 1 2 )

--ALEX-- - Feb 14, 2017

55 by tectacles »»
Feb 18, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2017

147 by tectacles »»
Jan 31, 5:57 AM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

142 by tectacles »»
Jan 30, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

148 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 27, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Aversa - Jan 7, 2017

190 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 26, 10:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.