Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Youjo Senki Episode 11 Discussion


Mar 25, 2017 4:05 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 174
Lelouch0202 said:
Intense episode.

The aerial combat was pure awesome, I love them explosions. xD

The Republican army has finally called for an armistice and the Empire seems to have accepted, Poor Tanya, all she wants is to end this war in the hopes that Being X will never be able to trouble her again. Sadly it doesn't seem to be working out. If the counter attacking fleet succeeds in escaping they will probably come back stronger by forming an alliance with the United Allied Kingdom.

It'd be epic if Tanya decides to go Rogue to destroy the remnants of the Republican army but I doubt that'll happen. Anyway, can't wait for the next episode.
sirwence said:
pall_haigoli said:
That soldier was not even suppose to be in this series for the second time as a focus. His scene today was purely an Anime Original Route given to spice up the ending of the season. So his original role wasn't really suppose to be Tanya rival, but only to give her the Chekhov's Gun for her downfall later.


Down fall is a bit of a strong way to the pharse that since unless I was totally trolled but the web novel stuff and that is possible)
like all light novels overlord mahouka tanya is overpowered invincible sigh
 
Mar 25, 2017 5:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 15659
So what's this? Are they being overconfident so that's why they don't want to listen Tanya's request or are they really just hungry for war?


 
Mar 25, 2017 5:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 73
The art is alone makes this anime to become a legend.
 
Mar 25, 2017 5:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 179
Honestly, I wasn't going to watch this anime, thought it was some sort of strike witches prequel from a small cursory glance (flying magical girls) I didn't realize how wrong I was. This is by far my favorite of the season, praying for S2 and I love this story it is both compelling and unique, I want to see the end of the war (not as much as Tanya though)
 
Mar 25, 2017 7:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 292
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
ElPysCongroo said:


Yes because, the number of characters you kill off = better writing :/


Despite going through really dangerous missions in an all out war, Tanya's Squad didnt lose even one member, hell even Gantz might survived, this seriously hurts my immersion and the series seems to be just another shounen with war as background theme. Also after a while when you saw quite a few show, and seeing that in 99% of cases protag and its friends always beats impossible odds ...After a while really boring and predictable.


My worst fear come to true even Tanya's Squad members equipped with the strongest kind of plot armor. Seriously Republic forces couldnt even take out JUST ONE member of Tanya's THIS IS COMEDY.

Just to say one positive, duel between Tanya and Being X's puppet was fun even though in the end was completely unsatisfying.

I think the author tried to balance with Tanya's advice not heard, but for me that didnt do the trick, its really a shallow loss
 
Mar 25, 2017 7:45 AM
Thorfinn

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 4158
I don't know why but my memory is really bad while watching this anime might be because I binge watched it SO anyone care to give a recap of major events of everything that happened?
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. Vinland Saga is epic. If you disagree you have bad taste.
 
Mar 25, 2017 7:55 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 40
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
Sakanagi_Ayana said:


Despite going through really dangerous missions in an all out war, Tanya's Squad didnt lose even one member, hell even Gantz might survived, this seriously hurts my immersion and the series seems to be just another shounen with war as background theme. Also after a while when you saw quite a few show, and seeing that in 99% of cases protag and its friends always beats impossible odds ...After a while really boring and predictable.


My worst fear come to true even Tanya's Squad members equipped with the strongest kind of plot armor. Seriously Republic forces couldnt even take out JUST ONE member of Tanya's THIS IS COMEDY.

Just to say one positive, duel between Tanya and Being X's puppet was fun even though in the end was completely unsatisfying.

I think the author tried to balance with Tanya's advice not heard, but for me that didnt do the trick, its really a shallow loss
The fight was anime original, so they could not really do much with it other then make it look fun and they needed some boss to fight in the end I guess. Actually not heeding to Tanya advice is worst then a few of her crew member dying, as most of her crew member lack names anyway and are closer to minor characters.
 
Mar 25, 2017 8:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 6202
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
Sakanagi_Ayana said:


Despite going through really dangerous missions in an all out war, Tanya's Squad didnt lose even one member, hell even Gantz might survived, this seriously hurts my immersion and the series seems to be just another shounen with war as background theme. Also after a while when you saw quite a few show, and seeing that in 99% of cases protag and its friends always beats impossible odds ...After a while really boring and predictable.


My worst fear come to true even Tanya's Squad members equipped with the strongest kind of plot armor. Seriously Republic forces couldnt even take out JUST ONE member of Tanya's THIS IS COMEDY.

Just to say one positive, duel between Tanya and Being X's puppet was fun even though in the end was completely unsatisfying.

I think the author tried to balance with Tanya's advice not heard, but for me that didnt do the trick, its really a shallow loss

This fight was basically anime filler material, and well, like pointed out you can't have characters die during filler (except anime original characters of course).
I'll point out that tanya's men suffered several casualties during the operation last episode (not the door knocker but the moment they had to cover their armies' retreat, at the beginning of the episode). That's because that part was in original material, so they didn't had that protection, obviously.
 
Mar 25, 2017 8:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 292
@pall_haigoli

I think the anime should have taken the liberty and kill of few minor charachters whose dont even have a name, because the boss felt really toothless couldnt even eliminate a noname minor charachter.

@Zefyris

I understand what are you saying, but as said I dont think the anime should follow everything to letter from manga.
You say they suffered casualties during the operation, the problem is that was so background and hidden , it really had no impact, at very least they should shown it more clearly. Also this begs the question did we really need to waste time on fillers?

Overall I am not impressed with the show, I thought it will be more but as things stands this is hardly different from shonen and even worse anime probably never will finish the story.
 
Mar 25, 2017 9:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 6202
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
@pall_haigoli

I think the anime should have taken the liberty and kill of few minor charachters whose dont even have a name, because the boss felt really toothless couldnt even eliminate a noname minor charachter.

@Zefyris

I understand what are you saying, but as said I dont think the anime should follow everything to letter from manga.
You say they suffered casualties during the operation, the problem is that was so background and hidden , it really had no impact, at very least they should shown it more clearly. Also this begs the question did we really need to waste time on fillers?

Overall I am not impressed with the show, I thought it will be more but as things stands this is hardly different from shonen and even worse anime probably never will finish the story.

The original material would not sell as it is in anime form tbh, too complex, not enough exciting battles and the like. That's why they added (among other things) this battle, to make some kind of climax to the anime series, whereas the novels don't need that, peoples reading it don't read it for this to begin with.
Different media, different needs.
And yes, anime will probably never finish the story, but that's something common to like 95% of novel adaptation anyway, so you should have been aware of that before even starting to watch it, if it really bothers you like it seems here.

Also casualties become more of a subject when things calm down enough to have the time to worry about recruiting, which wasn't the case here in between the losses and the remaining part of the operations against not-france.
 
Mar 25, 2017 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 243
***k you being X, how dare you make this anime reach its last episode!

You better have a second season ready or we will hunt you down, 4 good!
 
Mar 25, 2017 11:29 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 104
People have to remember, being X does NOT want any kind of rival to really defeat Tanya. That is NOT their purpose. Being X is using them to see what it takes to pressure Tanya into finding faith and truly becoming religious.

So whatever any of these people think, they are merely tools employed to further being X's agenda, disposable ones at that and will likely never be given what it would really take to take her out. Because Tanya herself is the main experiment.

Tennouji said:
So what's this? Are they being overconfident so that's why they don't want to listen Tanya's request or are they really just hungry for war?

Overconfident, rigidly set in their ways, abiding by rules to an absurd degree. It's a mix of all of these and one of the reasons why the real Germany lost WW 1.
 
Mar 25, 2017 12:43 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1033
quite a sad end. I guess shit will go down once more in the final episode. I'm curious where this is going to end. Especially because the source is still on-going.
 
Mar 25, 2017 1:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 31
The animation for the fight were very impressive. Long drawn out battles with no stopping. Sure some the shots had them going all over the place but still very impressive. Makes me excited to see what else Studio Nut will do.
What.
 
Mar 25, 2017 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1613
awesome episode, Tanya really is a great leader and fighter. NUT have done a super job for thier first anime, I hope we get a second season or announcemnt that its split cour. This show is the highlight of the seaosn for me.
 
Mar 25, 2017 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 22642
Nice fighting, tanya's force on the defense for 5 minutes or so managed to pull through until reinforcements.
The turning point, what could have been if not for incompetence :'(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk



Zefyris said:

I'll point out that tanya's men suffered several casualties during the operation last episode (not the door knocker but the moment they had to cover their armies' retreat, at the beginning of the episode).


They didn't, it was all faked to make it look real, the only casualty was the potato guy.
 
Mar 25, 2017 4:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 292
Zefyris said:
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
@pall_haigoli

I think the anime should have taken the liberty and kill of few minor charachters whose dont even have a name, because the boss felt really toothless couldnt even eliminate a noname minor charachter.

@Zefyris

I understand what are you saying, but as said I dont think the anime should follow everything to letter from manga.
You say they suffered casualties during the operation, the problem is that was so background and hidden , it really had no impact, at very least they should shown it more clearly. Also this begs the question did we really need to waste time on fillers?

Overall I am not impressed with the show, I thought it will be more but as things stands this is hardly different from shonen and even worse anime probably never will finish the story.

The original material would not sell as it is in anime form tbh, too complex, not enough exciting battles and the like. That's why they added (among other things) this battle, to make some kind of climax to the anime series, whereas the novels don't need that, peoples reading it don't read it for this to begin with.
Different media, different needs.
And yes, anime will probably never finish the story, but that's something common to like 95% of novel adaptation anyway, so you should have been aware of that before even starting to watch it, if it really bothers you like it seems here.

Also casualties become more of a subject when things calm down enough to have the time to worry about recruiting, which wasn't the case here in between the losses and the remaining part of the operations against not-france.


Still one should judge series based on anime , and that doesnt look bright for this series, a common shonen in the end, with horrible art.
 
Mar 25, 2017 5:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 6202
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
Zefyris said:

The original material would not sell as it is in anime form tbh, too complex, not enough exciting battles and the like. That's why they added (among other things) this battle, to make some kind of climax to the anime series, whereas the novels don't need that, peoples reading it don't read it for this to begin with.
Different media, different needs.
And yes, anime will probably never finish the story, but that's something common to like 95% of novel adaptation anyway, so you should have been aware of that before even starting to watch it, if it really bothers you like it seems here.

Also casualties become more of a subject when things calm down enough to have the time to worry about recruiting, which wasn't the case here in between the losses and the remaining part of the operations against not-france.


Still one should judge series based on anime , and that doesnt look bright for this series, a common shonen in the end, with horrible art.

You should certainly judge the anime with the anime indeed, but in your case, what you want may be the novels, not the anime, and that's worth noting especially considering your avatar :)
 
Mar 25, 2017 5:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 11047
Fantastic episode, I wish Tanya would make more direct reference to the history of the world she came from.
 
Mar 25, 2017 7:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 609
I see so this wasn't the climatic battle afterall?
Also in that smoke, if she had ammo t kill him at the end why did she need to melee seeing she already had the gun aimed at him. While it was for dramatic affect, for a show like this... it was rather off putting. And people that got shot down weren't actually dead felt really BS compared to people actually dying when shot down so far. With only a few exceptions.
No one died? At least have a no-name die...

Well I heard it is anime original so they couldn't kill off characters like that so...
And apparently this is their world's version of the 'miracle at Dunkirk'
the axis does nothing while the Allies retreat out of france.
Modified by zcv45, Mar 25, 2017 7:55 PM
 
Mar 25, 2017 8:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3089
To be honest, i was expecting more from that battle but it was still good, i think we found out a lot of interesting stuff in this episode.
First of all, Serbryakov is probably living the same experience as Tanya, or as that general, we can see when she fired that bullet it had an emblem printed on it, guess who had bullets with a similar design? that same general!So yeah that's a pretty unexpected plot twist.
That ending...damn, i definitely wasn't expecting something like this, i thought that we would have an epic battle for 1 episode and then a nice ending in the last episode, but what are we going to see in the last episode? The counterattack?
I really expect the last episode to be epic, this anime deserves a 9/10.

Take a look at this picture that i've made to prove my theory.
1st pic - bullet shot by Serebryakova
2nd pic - bullet made by that enemy Captain.



That's very interesting, would love if they confirmed a 2nd season.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

 
Mar 26, 2017 12:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 395
AivanK said:
First of all, Serbryakov is probably living the same experience as Tanya, or as that general, we can see when she fired that bullet it had an emblem printed on it, guess who had bullets with a similar design? that same general!So yeah that's a pretty unexpected plot twist.

It's not a plot twist, it's just not explained in the anime.

Engraving spells onto bullets is a common practice in their world, it allows mages to conserve magical power on the field since they only need to use a small amount of magic to activate the spell; focusing on Vishya's engraved casing was just a dramatic moment rather than trying to show there was anything special about her.
 
Mar 26, 2017 4:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 4635
That guy from the enemy army was insane!!! And now the enemy army is running away.
 
Mar 26, 2017 5:42 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 453
Tokoya said:
That was the most intense time I've ever had watching this lol....I was scared for everyone and even though I knew that Tanya wouldn't die, I was scared that she would have gotten hurt pretty bad

But thankfully our boys and girls made it out okay and good riddance to that general guy....Overall that battle was fucking awesome though

And RIP Tanya's dream of not having to fight in a war lol


I know that feeling too dude.

when your badass over powered character, getting beat up...Im well aware that they're being made over powered and all. but still...this anxiety attack,, always get the best of me. Lol
for example, when Ainz vs Shaltear , Kaneki vs Arima , Shiro/Sora vs Djibril , Shiro/Sora vs Izuna
even Saitama vs Suiryu made me worried for a sec. I was like, "could it be..this dude is way stronger than we thought, saitama might lose or something, who knows?".
and it turned out, Iwas getting worked up for no reason xD
and these anxiety attack are happened alot in Youjo Senki. damn!
we all already know that Tanya is evil, sadist, over powered and all but just look at her. in my eyes, she's look.. fragile at the same time. she's such a.. Fascinating character.
Modified by nina444, Mar 26, 2017 5:55 AM
 
Mar 26, 2017 8:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 5802
nina444 said:
Tokoya said:
That was the most intense time I've ever had watching this lol....I was scared for everyone and even though I knew that Tanya wouldn't die, I was scared that she would have gotten hurt pretty bad

But thankfully our boys and girls made it out okay and good riddance to that general guy....Overall that battle was fucking awesome though

And RIP Tanya's dream of not having to fight in a war lol


I know that feeling too dude.

when your badass over powered character, getting beat up...Im well aware that they're being made over powered and all. but still...this anxiety attack,, always get the best of me. Lol
for example, when Ainz vs Shaltear , Kaneki vs Arima , Shiro/Sora vs Djibril , Shiro/Sora vs Izuna
even Saitama vs Suiryu made me worried for a sec. I was like, "could it be..this dude is way stronger than we thought, saitama might lose or something, who knows?".
and it turned out, Iwas getting worked up for no reason xD
and these anxiety attack are happened alot in Youjo Senki. damn!
we all already know that Tanya is evil, sadist, over powered and all but just look at her. in my eyes, she's look.. fragile at the same time. she's such a.. Fascinating character.
Yeah, I know what you mean xD
 
Mar 26, 2017 9:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 32096
Great but unrealistic episode because none of the remaining members of Tanya's group died against the enemies ^^" The enemy GOD was taken out typically, I was hoping for him to give Tanya more of a challenge.

Watching the ending, it would be devastating if Tanya ends up disobeying her HQ orders and ends up dying by her own firing squad.
 
Mar 26, 2017 10:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 12076
well bad for tanya...she was so close in attaining peace
 
Mar 26, 2017 10:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 2812
Damn, Tanya's just miles ahead of everyone else in terms of tactics and battle projections, but that doesn't help when Strategic HQ forces her to stand down on her hunches. I get the feeling that this decision is going to come back and bite the Empire in the ass later down the line. Shame we probably won't be getting to see it unless we get a second season though.

The battles in the first half of the episode were quite nice. Was actually hoping that Grantz bit the bullet, whereas it was pretty obvious the rest of the squad were too good to die (they only had their shields blown away before hitting the water, they obviously weren't gonna die that easily). The Colonel on the other side felt like he'd been half possessed by Being X. Almost made Tanya actually panic for once, so props to him and his team.

Let's see what they give us in the last episode shall we?
HESTIAAPPROVES
 
Mar 26, 2017 11:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 292
Zefyris said:
Sakanagi_Ayana said:


Still one should judge series based on anime , and that doesnt look bright for this series, a common shonen in the end, with horrible art.

You should certainly judge the anime with the anime indeed, but in your case, what you want may be the novels, not the anime, and that's worth noting especially considering your avatar :)


Ah I see you understand. Do you think the novels would be to my taste?
 
Mar 26, 2017 11:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 6202
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
Zefyris said:

You should certainly judge the anime with the anime indeed, but in your case, what you want may be the novels, not the anime, and that's worth noting especially considering your avatar :)


Ah I see you understand. Do you think the novels would be to my taste?

If you're less into flashy shounen combats and more into proper military feel/ stuff, then for sure, novel is the way to go.
 
Mar 26, 2017 2:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 24
Sakanagi_Ayana said:
@pall_haigoli

I think the anime should have taken the liberty and kill of few minor charachters whose dont even have a name, because the boss felt really toothless couldnt even eliminate a noname minor charachter.

@Zefyris

I understand what are you saying, but as said I dont think the anime should follow everything to letter from manga.
You say they suffered casualties during the operation, the problem is that was so background and hidden , it really had no impact, at very least they should shown it more clearly. Also this begs the question did we really need to waste time on fillers?

Overall I am not impressed with the show, I thought it will be more but as things stands this is hardly different from shonen and even worse anime probably never will finish the story.
ichii_1 said:
Nice fighting, tanya's force on the defense for 5 minutes or so managed to pull through until reinforcements.
The turning point, what could have been if not for incompetence :'(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk



Zefyris said:

I'll point out that tanya's men suffered several casualties during the operation last episode (not the door knocker but the moment they had to cover their armies' retreat, at the beginning of the episode).


They didn't, it was all faked to make it look real, the only casualty was the potato guy.

No they did lost the battalion members. If they're still alive why don't they round up with the survivors after the war is over? Logically if your theory of they're faking the casualties to lure the enemy is true, then after they accomplished the mission they don't need to fake it anymore. They skipped the funeral scenes with the brief scene on the opening where Tanya's subordinates mourning for their fallen comrades on their graves. And also
Modified by Cryarc, Mar 26, 2017 2:57 PM
 
Mar 26, 2017 5:18 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 3912
Holy crap, gotta hand it to them, that aerial battle was something else.


 
Mar 26, 2017 6:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 37
Am I the only guy who wa frustrated by this one? I was legitimately frustrated when everyone was alive after that fight. Tanya's bullet hole in the shoulder was completely ignored after that scene. It just felt like a waste of time, but even worse because there was a lot of build-up to it. I'm just mostly mad because this filler showed up in what has been a fairly tight anime up to this point. It didn't need any filler. It honestly didn't.

And to anyone who says that you can't adapt something slow without adding filler, I present to you Monster.
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
 
Mar 26, 2017 6:52 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 40
Mealstrom_1 said:
Am I the only guy who wa frustrated by this one? I was legitimately frustrated when everyone was alive after that fight. Tanya's bullet hole in the shoulder was completely ignored after that scene. It just felt like a waste of time, but even worse because there was a lot of build-up to it. I'm just mostly mad because this filler showed up in what has been a fairly tight anime up to this point. It didn't need any filler. It honestly didn't.

And to anyone who says that you can't adapt something slow without adding filler, I present to you Monster.
The build up to that fight was also filler, since it had no part in the original story, so yeah you could say the fight was a waste of time as it was not necessary nor does it add anything to the story other then flare. But people wanted Tanya to have a physical rival so much and not a metaphorical one this season, they just decided to put him in.
 
Mar 26, 2017 7:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 37
pall_haigoli said:
The build up to that fight was also filler, since it had no part in the original story, so yeah you could say the fight was a waste of time as it was not necessary nor does it add anything to the story other then flare. But people wanted Tanya to have a physical rival so much and not a metaphorical one this season, they just decided to put him in.
It just felt wrong on so many levels. Guess I should just read the LN after ep 12 for a better experience.
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
 
Mar 26, 2017 7:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 40
Mealstrom_1 said:
pall_haigoli said:
The build up to that fight was also filler, since it had no part in the original story, so yeah you could say the fight was a waste of time as it was not necessary nor does it add anything to the story other then flare. But people wanted Tanya to have a physical rival so much and not a metaphorical one this season, they just decided to put him in.
It just felt wrong on so many levels. Guess I should just read the LN after ep 12 for a better experience.
Just read it now, since the anime has already went past the translated volumes of the novel, even if you read it now. It won't spoil anything for you other then fill in everything the anime miss and changed. As this anime is not a direct adaption, but just a loose adaption that follows the basic plot points of the novel.

P.S. Try reading the manga first to somewhat get the feel of what the novel is about and beside the Art for the manga is far better compare to the anime.
Modified by pall_haigoli, Mar 26, 2017 7:11 PM
 
Mar 26, 2017 7:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3089
MysteriousBanana said:

Engraving spells onto bullets is a common practice in their world, it allows mages to conserve magical power on the field since they only need to use a small amount of magic to activate the spell; focusing on Vishya's engraved casing was just a dramatic moment rather than trying to show there was anything special about her.


Oh lol but it's still a plot twist, it doesn't matter because they don't explain it xD
Oh ok, you're maybe right.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

 
Mar 26, 2017 10:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
Moohvos said:
Fruituser said:
The after half, why did she lose her shit again? Someone explain?


If you are referring to why she wanted to attack so badly is because the situation was obvious to someone who knows WW2 history - which she presumably does. The French fleet was going to flee to the not-UK and serve to legitimize the not-UK to entering the war.

It's somewhat more complicated than this but without that segment of the military fleeing the not-UK will have huge trouble justifying the entrance into the war to their people much less anyone else.


The event Tanya is predicting is the Attack on Mers-el-Kebir.

When the French signed the armistice (the same one between the Republicans and the Empire), German government and industry began taking over French territory and interests. You see this discussion during the meeting at the table. It's the military guys and a bunch of investors and businessmen, the backers of the war and government.

The UK believed this was happening to such a high degree that the country of "France" didn't really exist anymore, with many "Free French" fleeing to the UK. The remaining French government was considered German in interest. So they attacked the French fleet and destroyed it off the coast of French Algeria. The goal was to prevent Germany from taking the fleet and using it against them. The attack firmly established the UK's position in the war and ignited fierce fighting between Germany and the UK, extending the war to the point where Germany eventually loses to attrition.

The Empire seeking to honor the armistice and prevent Tanya's battalion from engaging, was to protect the fleet they wanted to eventually confiscate. She knew, based off Earth history, this move would be a significant step towards the Empire's defeat after an even longer tenuous, painful war.
 
Mar 27, 2017 4:19 AM
Shingster

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2371
After last weeks episode where the empire managed to lure in and destroy the enemies main force with such a master stroke that was offset by the enemies ambush of Tanya's unit i was really looking forward to seeing how this plays out since among the enemies ranks is Anton sue who has the same powers as Tanya has now.

Having the last scene that took place before the ambush in this episode was a nice touch as it gives context on what had happened last. Poor grantz though being the first to be hit. The spell easily penetrated his shield though so he really had no chance. The enemy mages look to be veterans of the war though. So the enemy is at least a battalion in strength eh. That makes Tanya's men outnumbered by quite a lot though. Tanya as ever is fast with her tactics though. Though outnumbered Tanya's company isn't giving up without a fight though but man the odds really are against them. But no matter how hard they fight suffering losses is inevitable though sadly. Hmm using the clouds and high speed to launch sudden attacks at different parts of the enemies formation eh. That was quick thinking on Tanya's part. Lol look at Tanya go taking apart the enemy piece by piece in close range combat. Hmm to think that they will be using Shotguns (Trench guns as well). I can see why they will be against the law though for shotguns cause quite heavy damage in the close range fights that mages fight. Man Anton really isn't messing around is he. His new powers have just made him that much powerful. Hmm its nice to see Tanya care about her men and take that shot for him though. Though he should never had let his emotions get to him in battle. The dual between Anton and Tanya though was pretty well done. Tanya's reaction to realizing that Anton is another champion sent by being x to deal with her though. Man that was a fortunate save from Viktoriya though. Damm to think that Anton wouldn't die after being hit by that much bullets and still manage to launch a last attack. Being X sure is determined. But man its a good thing that Tanya managed to survive though. Hell of a crazy dual though. Looks like the empires victory is all but ensured now that the main force is encircled and being reduced but by bit. The imperials did well though and their use of tactics was just masterful. No wonder the troops are so happy when the operation was downgraded to cleanup. Its also nice to see that the men that were shot down were still alive but wounded to varying degrees. Seems the enemy was forced to surrender in the end eh. Without their main force the enemy doesn't have the men needed to hold back the empires armies. Lol the politicians being overjoyed about the victory even though they were the ones that were questioning the military in the first place. I was surprised that the republicans would surrender that easily though. I wonder is this a trap instead though. Hmm the bullying incident was unexpected. Well apart from combat i guess Tanya and Visha don't have anything to do once the war is over. While the men are having a barbecue though lol. Operation Relaxation eh lol. I guess the men have earned their leave since they fought pretty hard in the war.

Lol Visha worrying about them though. Hmm so while the republican army surrendered their navy is merely withdrawing eh. Sounds fishy. Hmm the navy withdraws while the terms used is not end of war but a armistice eh. Meaning that the enemy can still potentially strike back as well. Since the enemy army is at a military port while their navy is supposedly withdrawing things look dicey. The enemy intends to use their navy to transport their army to their oversea's territories and continue to fight eh. Wondered why HQ never saw this. So the army was ordered to flee and leave their country behind while they continue to fight eh. Lol using history in a attempt to make the theater commander understand and try and shame him while at the same time deciding to take her men for a force recon using her own authority eh. Nice bit of pressure there.

Hmm so in the end command denied Tanya's mission and retained her unit as well eh. An armistice in the end is only a temporary measure though and i think that the enemy will break that when they transport their army. I wonder is this being X's doing again. I can see and understand why Tanya is so frustrated though. They almost had a chance to end this war but command is too shortsighted to realize whats actually going on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Mar 27, 2017 7:16 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 12
I am disappointed they kind of make the fight too long. This makes how the desperate Tanya really are didn't shown properly. However, this is a really good episode.
 
Mar 27, 2017 2:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1837
DAAAAAAAANG THAT WAS GOOD. That was freaking great, haven't felt this tense watching anime since... Urara Meirochou episode 11... Glad I decided to watch this 11 episodes in so I could enjoy this in one sitting. I look forward to seeing how this all ends.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
 
Mar 27, 2017 9:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1556
This and last episode made me realize I need to touch up on my WWI and II history again
 
Mar 28, 2017 2:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 3
2Dculture said:
Wow.. that was quite an intense episode.. not only the aerial battle but the emotions at the end, when Tanya was so close to having her peaceful and safe career when the war is over. I used to laugh when Murphy's Law turned against her.. but damn... can't laugh on this one.

One thing tho, Tanya seems better than that salaryman he was before. As the salaryman, he cudn't care less.. but Tanya risked her life to save Weiss and took the brunt of the enemy's fire. In the beginning of the series, he/she feared that losing subordinates wud lessen the chances of promotion. This episode, I think its more than that.


Yeah, I'd definitely say Tanya has developed quite a bit from the whole experience, perhaps in more ways than she realizes.
 
Mar 28, 2017 4:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 212
I don't care if the aerial battle was "filler" or not in the LN, it was damn amazing. Some of those sound effects had me jumping out of my seat. Just superb.

Thought we were going to get a visit from Being X at some point, but I guess they are saving that for eps 12.

Can't wait....
 
Mar 28, 2017 6:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 503
What a twist...Grantz and the others from the blast survived. :P Speaking of blast, that air battle was the most awesome one so far. Can't wait to watch the final episode.
 
Mar 29, 2017 2:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 198
I could not believe the overall quality of this episode!
This show just keeps on surprising me.
 
Mar 29, 2017 12:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 21
Necromia said:
When Tanya was yelling "let me go" I got a bad feeling

LOL.


limpandazure said:
Moohvos said:


If you are referring to why she wanted to attack so badly is because the situation was obvious to someone who knows WW2 history - which she presumably does. The French fleet was going to flee to the not-UK and serve to legitimize the not-UK to entering the war.

It's somewhat more complicated than this but without that segment of the military fleeing the not-UK will have huge trouble justifying the entrance into the war to their people much less anyone else.


The event Tanya is predicting is the Attack on Mers-el-Kebir.

When the French signed the armistice (the same one between the Republicans and the Empire), German government and industry began taking over French territory and interests. You see this discussion during the meeting at the table. It's the military guys and a bunch of investors and businessmen, the backers of the war and government.

The UK believed this was happening to such a high degree that the country of "France" didn't really exist anymore, with many "Free French" fleeing to the UK. The remaining French government was considered German in interest. So they attacked the French fleet and destroyed it off the coast of French Algeria. The goal was to prevent Germany from taking the fleet and using it against them. The attack firmly established the UK's position in the war and ignited fierce fighting between Germany and the UK, extending the war to the point where Germany eventually loses to attrition.

The Empire seeking to honor the armistice and prevent Tanya's battalion from engaging, was to protect the fleet they wanted to eventually confiscate. She knew, based off Earth history, this move would be a significant step towards the Empire's defeat after an even longer tenuous, painful war.


Nice! Thanks for giving us more context as to why the decision to attack is important.
 
Mar 30, 2017 7:09 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 69
That was the worst episode of the series... Starts with a too long of a recap, then the start of the battle is good but latter it seems like everyone, not-germany and not-britsh, stops fighting just to admire tanya battle... She then is hit in the sholder but besides her arm moviment it is completely inconsequential. Even past the adrenaline surge, she cracks a joke like she fells nothing. Not to mention no-one died that was already beaten to death in this topic...

2Dculture said:
One thing tho, Tanya seems better than that salaryman he was before. As the salaryman, he cudn't care less.. but Tanya risked her life to save Weiss and took the brunt of the enemy's fire. In the beginning of the series, he/she feared that losing subordinates wud lessen the chances of promotion. This episode, I think its more than that.

I'm surprised no-one is commenting about the incident outside the church. Being X is clearly testing Tanya if she would save the boy even w/o any personal benefit for her or not. Even w/o knowing the boy. They cut the end fo this scene, but I gather that she doesn't help him, proving that she remains as despicable as ever.
 
Mar 30, 2017 2:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 231
Meh, another mediocre isekai show without an ending that only exists to sell some crappy 'novels'. Izetta wasn't great, but at least it had a beginning and an end.

I hoped this would be about the protagonist using his intellect, lack of inhibitions and appearance to play everyone around him to his benefit, but it became a very unremarkable war story after a couple of episodes. The setting with the supernatural being is stupid and unnecessary, just a plot device to force the isekai concept, and I really couldn't care less about the outcome of the war.

The war itself doesn't make a lick of sense: you can't just have WW1 style trench warfare with WW2 tanks, planes and overpowered flying mages. It's really lazy taking real history and simply adding some bullshit on top, like magic or changing Europe's religion, without it affecting anything else. It makes the ridiculous pastiche that was Gate look like a good example of world building.

The only saving grace is the ending and all those illustrations of crazy-eyed Tanya.
 
Mar 30, 2017 4:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 292
Gersen said:
Meh, another mediocre isekai show without an ending that only exists to sell some crappy 'novels'. Izetta wasn't great, but at least it had a beginning and an end.

I hoped this would be about the protagonist using his intellect, lack of inhibitions and appearance to play everyone around him to his benefit, but it became a very unremarkable war story after a couple of episodes. The setting with the supernatural being is stupid and unnecessary, just a plot device to force the isekai concept, and I really couldn't care less about the outcome of the war.

The war itself doesn't make a lick of sense: you can't just have WW1 style trench warfare with WW2 tanks, planes and overpowered flying mages. It's really lazy taking real history and simply adding some bullshit on top, like magic or changing Europe's religion, without it affecting anything else. It makes the ridiculous pastiche that was Gate look like a good example of world building.

The only saving grace is the ending and all those illustrations of crazy-eyed Tanya.


This is pretty much how I feel, I hoped for something instead I got worse than generic results.
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »