Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 24, 2017 7:23 AM

Sep 2014
Kuma said:
Imaishi said:
Don't pay attention to these.
Especially considering how shitty the criticism for battle shonen usually is. These people can't say anything besides 'plot armor', 'nakama power' or 'no one ever dies' as if that was actual criticism.

Battle Shonen are fine. And Mashima is a great mangaka.

the main problem of fairy tail is not that (thou personaly it kinda abused)...

the main problem of mashima that he hyped character out of nothings and discarded quickly afterwards (talking from recent chapter)... it's like waste of time and make me feel betrayed for being self investment to character especially villian for this series... i mean, look at fucking zeref and what he do for him in recent chapter...

Lol God Serena. But this and unexplained power ups are what makes Fairy Tail weaker imo.

OT: People hate them because they don't think battle shounens have good writing and are filled with deus ex machina, plot holes and the sort. I like them though because i think they achieve what they set out for.
Mar 24, 2017 8:42 AM

Feb 2017
Because they in Love with the loli, ecchie, harem, romance, slice of life, drama.
You know what they say: Love can make you blind.
Mar 24, 2017 9:34 AM

May 2014
So, as a fan of battle shounen. Let me put a few guesses forward.
First, the simple stuff.
The hatred of mainstream and popular stuff, some people love to rip on whatever the majority like. The reasons for this are usually pretty dumb, but w/e.
Some people just don't like the genre and that's fine. The types of stories and characters don't work for them. We all have genres like that.
Weekly series don't tend to have the strongest/most thought out writing. Especially the series listed.
Edgelords who bitch and whine that things are too happy and upbeat, and that every anime isn't Mirai Nikki/Elfen Lied.
They all have really, really bad anime adaptations. Crazy filler and garbage pacing.
The length of these series makes them seem hard to get into.
The dense/idiot main character pisses a lot of people off.
Fanservice.
Similarities to other series in the same genre. Which I personally think people over exaggerate.
The communities for these series range from aggravating to infuriating.
Some people find these series unenjoyable and predictable because "the hero always wins". Which isn't always true, but still pretty common.
The fact that the world depends on a highschooler/teenager.

As much shit as I write here, I can also write a list of praises for each.
WitchJacquelineMar 24, 2017 9:38 AM
Mar 24, 2017 9:38 AM

Mar 2016
The animosity for shonen doesn't seem any greater than that which is aimed at moe or slice of life in general
stop focusing on shonen so much when there's plenty of hate directed at everything
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 24, 2017 9:55 AM

May 2016
Well to speak frankly I myself love these anime that you talked about but, we something in common that is we both hate the fact that a lot of The fights are dragged to a limit that is irritating.
Mar 24, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2016
Mostly really popular Anime are hated by some people.I think this is actually a dumb reason to hate a Anime.Not all Shounen Animes are that bad.They are popular with a reason.Even if some of them doesn't have the best plot they're still popular.I think most of them are pretty enjoyable.

Mod Edit: Removed breakdown of individual show reviews
AlfyanMar 25, 2017 6:38 PM

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Mar 24, 2017 10:42 AM

Jun 2013
Because even non anime fans knows about dragon ball, naruto, one piece etc... and since they know nothing about the industry they talk about those anime as if they were masterpieces, which they are not even close to masterpiece, just average shows, and if you recommend any other anime that is actually masterpiece or close to that, they will reply like this "Nah, no anime can beat my naruto" and that infuriates people myself included, because they know nothing.
Mar 24, 2017 11:14 AM

May 2015
Keiski said:
Why does it seem like everyone hates on Shounen Anime? Particularly the big 5. Like I saw a poll on here discussing who the worst Author between Hiro Mashima, Tite Kubo, and Masashi Kishimoto. Like wtf? There not perfect, but each is enjoyable to a vast majority of people.
Discuss Below.

Incredibly long series with mediocre pacing

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
AlfyanMar 25, 2017 6:44 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Mar 24, 2017 11:15 AM

Dec 2012
It's a number of things but I'd say it's mainly quality and popularity, which are just factors that contribute to it, it makes people more aware of the manga and inevitably attracts criticism from a wider audience. What's funny is that the target audience it's aimed at; the shonen demographic, has become a pseudo genre in itself and the cliches that these anime have, or the qualities which said demographic love so much about it are actually used as a criticism against it, nakama powerups etc. At the end of the day does the hate even matter? as you said it's enjoyable to a vast amount of people, which generates huge sales and near enough guarantees more content for the fans, so this doesn't mean everyone hates on it, right?
Mar 24, 2017 11:18 AM

Feb 2016
They hate them because they are popular and mainstream anime "for children".
Meanwhile they love the same shit humour, fillers and cliched plots/characters shoved in their favorite anime.
Mar 24, 2017 11:25 AM

Sep 2015
Although it might seem like these style of anime get a lot more hate than other series, you need to take into consideration the popularity of the series too. One Piece and Dragon Ball are - last I checked, although this may have since changed - the #1 and #2 best selling manga. Their popularity is absolutely immense, and so any criticism is in proportion to that. A series which has 100 fans and 10 haters has the same % as a series with 1000 fans and 100 haters, to use some basic numbers as an example, yet it would appear that the latter gets far more hate than the former. You need to take the scale of 'shounen' anime into account.

Aside from that, there's the usual typical issues with long-running series such as fillers, repetitive episodes, dragged-on fights / arcs and general slow pace of some of them, basic themes and morals that don't go much past the surface, amidst other things. Not that I think they're all bad - gloss through my list and you'll see I tend to enjoy them myself - but I'm of the opinion that many of the long-runners leave much to be desired. But that's to be expected for series that are highly accessible to most demographics but especially aimed at young lads and teens. It could be the case that many of those who tend to dislike long-runners have simply 'outgrown' (in their own eyes) these series that they only enjoyed when they were a kid.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 24, 2017 12:02 PM

Dec 2016
Keiski said:
Johnnyd3rp said:

The Majin Buu arc is a freaking joke, i pretty much enjoyed Dragon Ball until the Cell arc and i freaking loved the part from the beginning to the Goku vs Piccolo fight at the tournament.

It should have ended with the Cell tournament or Goku shouldn't have been revived and let Gohan be the main protagonist for the rest of the manga. Instead we get a freaking long arc with endless power ups for the heroes and the villain.

While I liked the Buu arc, the peaceful world saga following it (that lead into GT), is the most cringiest crap saga I have ever seen. (Then again it may have just been the Funi voice actors rushing to finish the show.)

Nope, it's also like that in the manga. It probably should just give the series a nice little finish with the message that there's always room for improvement and showing the reincarnated Boo (Uub).
Mar 24, 2017 12:04 PM

Nov 2015
They're like PG-13 Saturday morning cartoons.
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Mar 24, 2017 12:06 PM

Jul 2015
From what I heard One Piece stretches thin its content and has long recaps that have made watching the anime a chore. Dragon Ball has a lot filler; power creep that has left many side characters useless to the story; uneven production quality (e.g early episodes of dbs) and squandered the development of Gohan in favour of bringing back Goku.
Super Eyepatch Wolf videos on Naruto and Bleach are my only understanding of those series but the general feel I got was that those series squandered their potential. Which does resonate with my feelings on fairy tail. Villains are hyped to be really dangerous but are easily taken down the next chapter. So many fake outs on deaths so the battles lose all tension. I don't hate it, but I am disappointed that it didn't live up to its potential and has since gone downhill.
I'd suggest you watch Hunter x Hunter (2011) or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood to see how good shounen really can be.
Mar 24, 2017 12:13 PM

Mar 2017
RogueBubble said:
From what I heard One Piece stretches thin its content and has long recaps that have made watching the anime a chore. Dragon Ball has a lot filler; power creep that has left many side characters useless to the story; uneven production quality (e.g early episodes of dbs) and squandered the development of Gohan in favour of bringing back Goku.
Super Eyepatch Wolf videos on Naruto and Bleach are my only understanding of those series but the general feel I got was that those series squandered their potential. Which does resonate with my feelings on fairy tail. Villains are hyped to be really dangerous but are easily taken down the next chapter. So many fake outs on deaths so the battles lose all tension. I don't hate it, but I am disappointed that it didn't live up to its potential and has since gone downhill.
I'd suggest you watch Hunter x Hunter (2011) or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood to see how good shounen really can be.

Do you have to watch the original HxH first or is the 2011 version a remake?
Mar 24, 2017 12:17 PM

Sep 2016
It's already a bit late to get in this discussion but here I go:

I'm not a Shounen fan but I quite enjoy it, however most big shounen tend to only be average and have an extremely toxic fanbase.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Mar 24, 2017 12:26 PM

May 2015
Johnnyd3rp said:
ashfrliebert said:

Incredibly long series with mediocre pacing.

What's wrong with Dragon Ball's ending?

The Majin Buu arc is a freaking joke, i pretty much enjoyed Dragon Ball until the Cell arc and i freaking loved the part from the beginning to the Goku vs Piccolo fight at the tournament.

It should have ended with the Cell tournament or Goku shouldn't have been revived and let Gohan be the main protagonist for the rest of the manga. Instead we get a freaking long arc with endless power ups for the heroes and the villain.

While I liked the Buu arc, the peaceful world saga following it (that lead into GT), is the most cringiest crap saga I have ever seen. (Then again it may have just been the Funi voice actors rushing to finish the show.)

The post Buu saga was three chapters lol.

I liked the Fat Maijn Buu. Never too big a fan of the rest of the buus.

Never liked Cell, but Android 17 and 18 were fun. The series utmost peak was obviously Namek, Freiza being probably the best character in the series.

The non-kai anime adaptation of the second Dragon Ball is a joke tho, it's like One Piece's anime on steroids.

edit: Anyway, I don't Dragon Ball went drastically down here or something. It had one okay-ish arc, and Vegeta's development was cool. Pacing was ehh in the manga but not too bad. Although Kid Buu is ZZZZ. Well..Dragon Ball Z original anime is pretty bad though, Toei didn't really understand the concept of pace.
ashfrliebertMar 24, 2017 12:34 PM
Mar 24, 2017 12:27 PM

Dec 2016
Keiski said:
RogueBubble said:

The 2011 is a remake and it adapts more from the manga. So I would say go with the 2011 version, if you love shounen you'll probably love HxH.
Mar 24, 2017 12:32 PM

Dec 2016
ashfrliebert said:
Johnnyd3rp said:

The post Buu saga was three chapters lol.

I liked the Fat Maijn Buu. Never too big a fan of the rest of the buus.

Never liked Cell, but Android 17 and 18 were fun. The series utmost peak was obviously Namek, Freiza being probably the best character in the series.

The non-kai anime adaptation of the second Dragon Ball is a joke tho, it's like One Piece's anime on steroids.

Pretty much agree, except that I would say Frieza is the second best villain (No.1 would be King Piccolo). Ending Dragonball after the Frieza fight (at it's peak) would have been pretty cool.

But I guess what we got after that wasn't that bad, so both is good. And also ending the story with Goku as the strongest would have went against the message that there's always someone stronger than you.
Mar 24, 2017 12:34 PM

May 2015
Hunter x Hunter anime adapts 95% of the series, reading the manga is pretty much a *must*. The magazine version's art is incredibly unfinished, but it's far more than worth.
Mar 24, 2017 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
Fairytail(Shit from early on had potential though), Naruto, (post time skip) Dbz(Dragon ball was far superior) and bleach(Everything after the first arc is horse shit) are shit. Hunter X Hunter and the one piece manga are the only good mainstream shounen imo
Mar 24, 2017 1:20 PM

Jan 2017
Pullman said:
I love battle shounen. But Kubo is still a very bad author. Mashima is like average and Kishimoto is pretty good. That's my opinion.

Would love to know what exactly makes Mashima better than Kubo. Rave Master?
Mar 24, 2017 1:43 PM

Feb 2010
zumac said:
Pullman said:
I love battle shounen. But Kubo is still a very bad author. Mashima is like average and Kishimoto is pretty good. That's my opinion.

Idk, I don't know Rave Master but Mashima just never gave me the impression of being particularly talented but he also didn't make any terrible writing decisions. Kubo on the other just made a lot of writing decisions that I find to be actively bad. My main issues are that in Bleach new arcs often felt disconnected from the continuity and seemed to come out of nowhere and not as part of the story organically evolving to new stages. New things are always introduced on a whim and not after having been hinted at, foreshadowed or at least mentioned beforehand. It just feels super awkward when you watch the characters do stuff in that world for hundreds of episodes and then suddenly something new pops up and I am to believe that they just happened to never mention it in any of the 200 previous episodes. To me it shows a lack of planning and not caring about consistency within the setting. Which are bad qualities in a writer, especially for long-runners like that. Oda is so amazing because I have never felt like any development or new character in the show wasn't meticulously planned beforehand while paying attention to not make it be in conflict with any other part of the setting. Kubo is the opposite for me.

And the second reason is that he also consistently ignored things he introduced to the world of Bleach at some point as soon as he gets bored of it, even if it has tons of potential and could make the show much more intriguing. The two prime examples for this are on the one hand the Kido combat spells which were intitially introduced as an alternative method of battling but quickly took the backseat and never had any relevance worth mentioning. It makes no sense for Kido to be so widespread and having every Shinigami learn it when it's always so much, much weaker than the normal combat to the point that it might very well be a purely cosmetic ability. It didn't start out like that and it didn't have to go down like that. It embodied the potential to make the battle system of Bleach more interesting and strategy based but Kubo discarded it because he didn't know what to do with it.

And on the other hand the Vizard suffered a similar fate of completely taking the backseat after their initial arc, never gaining relevance again even though they were at the time to me the best thing that happened to Bleach since the initial Soul Society arc. But Kubo seems incapable of writing more complex scenarios so when a new group of enemies/characters shows up they just replace the previous one which starts getting ignored instead of staying a vital part of the setting. The great thing about being able to write long-running stories like Bleach & co is that you can continuously add to the cast and world and getting more and more complex over time. Good writers make everything they introduce to a show count for the rest of its duration. Even Mashima knows how to do this, but Kubo failed every time he had the chance to.

So the bottomline is that Kubo just sucks at the one thing that usually makes me love every long-runner over time. Consistent, organic growth of the cast and worldbuilding. That's why to me he's by far the worst author from any popular battle shounen. He has his talents as a mangaka, no doubt. Mainly his character designs are really nice and I probably like them more than the designs of any of the other long-runners and he also can draw nice swordfighting action scenes and has generally a good sense for style in everything he does but I honestly think as a writer he's sub-par while Mashima is average.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 24, 2017 2:10 PM

Jan 2017
Pullman said:
zumac said:

Idk, I don't know Rave Master but Mashima just never gave me the impression of being particularly talented but he also didn't make any terrible writing decisions. Kubo on the other just made a lot of writing decisions that I find to be actively bad. My main issues are that in Bleach new arcs often felt disconnected from the continuity and seemed to come out of nowhere and not as part of the story organically evolving to new stages. New things are always introduced on a whim and not after having been hinted at, foreshadowed or at least mentioned beforehand. It just feels super awkward when you watch the characters do stuff in that world for hundreds of episodes and then suddenly something new pops up and I am to believe that they just happened to never mention it in any of the 200 previous episodes. To me it shows a lack of planning and not caring about consistency within the setting. Which are bad qualities in a writer, especially for long-runners like that. Oda is so amazing because I have never felt like any development or new character in the show wasn't meticulously planned beforehand while paying attention to not make it be in conflict with any other part of the setting. Kubo is the opposite for me.

And the second reason is that he also consistently ignored things he introduced to the world of Bleach at some point as soon as he gets bored of it, even if it has tons of potential and could make the show much more intriguing. The two prime examples for this are on the one hand the Kido combat spells which were intitially introduced as an alternative method of battling but quickly took the backseat and never had any relevance worth mentioning. It makes no sense for Kido to be so widespread and having every Shinigami learn it when it's always so much, much weaker than the normal combat to the point that it might very well be a purely cosmetic ability. It didn't start out like that and it didn't have to go down like that. It embodied the potential to make the battle system of Bleach more interesting and strategy based but Kubo discarded it because he didn't know what to do with it.

And on the other hand the Vizard suffered a similar fate of completely taking the backseat after their initial arc, never gaining relevance again even though they were at the time to me the best thing that happened to Bleach since the initial Soul Society arc. But Kubo seems incapable of writing more complex scenarios so when a new group of enemies/characters shows up they just replace the previous one which starts getting ignored instead of staying a vital part of the setting. The great thing about being able to write long-running stories like Bleach & co is that you can continuously add to the cast and world and getting more and more complex over time. Good writers make everything they introduce to a show count for the rest of its duration. Even Mashima knows how to do this, but Kubo failed every time he had the chance to.

So the bottomline is that Kubo just sucks at the one thing that usually makes me love every long-runner over time. Consistent, organic growth of the cast and worldbuilding. That's why to me he's by far the worst author from any popular battle shounen. He has his talents as a mangaka, no doubt. Mainly his character designs are really nice and I probably like them more than the designs of any of the other long-runners and he also can draw nice swordfighting action scenes and has generally a good sense for style in everything he does but I honestly think as a writer he's sub-par while Mashima is average.

When it comes to disconnection between arcs, most long runner struggle with that problem. You praise Oda, but there are so many things in OP that felt out of nowhere, all those islands in East Blue and even some in grandline (Thriller Bark) arcs have nothing to do with others either. You get the same episodic feeling from OP as you get from Bleach. And I know the so praised foreshadowing in One Piece, but there are some in Bleach too (Ichigo being a hybrid as one example), in fact all battle shounen have them.

The Kido spells sealed aizen and there was tactical use of it during the battles against the Espadas, it was after the Arrancar arc when they became useless. I agree with the vizard stuff though.

Can't really say much about Fairy Tail, since I haven't read much of it because it was boring to me, but the amount of shit it gets can't be due to the writer making good writing decisions.
Mar 24, 2017 2:58 PM

Feb 2010
zumac said:
Pullman said:

When it comes to disconnection between arcs, most long runner struggle with that problem. You praise Oda, but there are so many things in OP that felt out of nowhere, all those islands in East Blue and even some in grandline (Thriller Bark) arcs have nothing to do with others either. You get the same episodic feeling from OP as you get from Bleach. And I know the so praised foreshadowing in One Piece, but there are some in Bleach too (Ichigo being a hybrid as one example), in fact all battle shounen have them.

The Kido spells sealed aizen and there was tactical use of it during the battles against the Espadas, it was after the Arrancar arc when they became useless. I agree with the vizard stuff though.

Can't really say much about Fairy Tail, since I haven't read much of it because it was boring to me, but the amount of shit it gets can't be due to the writer making good writing decisions.

First of all you can't expect them to talk about every island in OP. That's not the same as pulling completelely new types of creatures/enemies/species or something like the Soul King out of your ass. When something is obviously a core aspect of the setting once it is introduced, but never has been mentioned in 100s of episodes before spent in that exact same setting, it's just bad. It's not the same as foreshadowing every random location on the Grand Line. It's not like Thriller Bark suddenly introduced the Shichibukai out of nowehre with Moriah. That would have been a comparable asspull. But One Piece hasn't pulled any organizations out if its ass, they have all been mentioned very early in the show. Shichibukai, World Govermentment, Marine Admirals, 4 Emperors, you name it. The basic cornerstones of the world have all been established early on, way before they ever became directly relevant to the story. That is just factually untrue for Bleach.

To some degree that is based on the genius way the OP story is structured. There are arcs but there all organically fit in in what we knew from the very first episode on: The journey to find One Piece and become the pirate king. This basic premise alone is so much more flexible than the Bleach concept of 'enemies show up, we fight them and then everything is done and new enemies get pulled out of our asses'. It's inherently better suited for the long-running format because you can just add more steps on the journey as long as you have good ideas and don't get too silly with it and it'll never feel forced because it's not like there is one predetermined path to the end of the Grand Line. And at the end of it it's still the same main story that was established from the start. Bleach on the other hand just stacked up new arcs on top of old ones and it felt pretty awkward most of the time.

And I just blatantly disagree that Thriller Bark had 'nothing to do with the rest'. I could just tell you all the relevant stuff for the main story that I remember but I can just copy paste from wiki for a full account:

Gekko Moriah is the fifth Shichibukai to be shown. Boa Hancock is also briefly mentioned but will not be fully revealed until the Amazon Lily Arc.[10]
Amongst Moriah's zombie army is a pirate named Captain John, which so happens to be the former owner of a treasure that Buggy just so happens to be after. After collecting the treasure on Thriller Bark, Luffy begins wearing a bracelet which he gives to Buggy in the Impel Down Arc which Buggy reveals the bracelet to be a lead to Captain John's treasure.
After defeating Ryuma, Zoro gets Shusui to replace the sword he lost back in the Enies Lobby Arc. Later around the end of the Punk Hazard Arc, it was revealed by Kin'emon that Ryuma's grave was robbed and it causes him to believe Zoro is the culprit, to which he plans to take the sword back from him so it could be returned to Wano Country.
Perona having been sent to Kuraigana Island would foreshadow Zoro being sent there by Kuma the following arc, resulting in them having to get along for the next two years while he trains there.
Teach's new position as a Shichibukai is confirmed according to Kuma. In the previous arc, Ace and Teach had a battle, which Ace had lost and led Teach to become a Shichibukai, as well as the events of the Impel Down and Marineford arcs are foreshadowed after Ace has been captured following his defeat against Teach.
Both of the remaining two members of the Yonko are briefly introduced in this arc after their concept was initially brought up in the previous arc.
Kaido of the Yonko is briefly mentioned. Also, Gekko Moriah appears to have fought on equal footing against him in the past and had lost his entire crew.
Lola, captain of the Rolling Pirates captured by Moriah, is later revealed to be the daughter of Charlotte Linlin of the Big Mom Pirates.
Lola also originally believed that her mother would help the Straw Hats in the New World, but it was later proven to be completely false during the Whole Cake Island Arc as Big Mom despises Lola and wouldn't hesitate to kill her for costing her a chance at becoming the Pirate King, which Lola is unaware of. They end up becoming enemies and Nami refuses to divulge Lola's location to Big Mom to protect her friend.
However Nami's friendship with Lola would also help her befriend Lola's twin sister, Charlotte Chiffon, whom still considers Lola to be her family (other than their father). Because of the negative cruel treatment her mother gives to her after Lola left due to their resemblance, Chiffon would also side against Big Mom.
The Straw Hats (minus Luffy) begin to realize that they need to become stronger, foreshadowing the Post-War Arc.
Moriah also notes that Luffy with his current strength would lose his crew on upcoming seas.[11] Not long after that the foreshadow came true, as the Straw Hats did indeed suffer a crushing defeat and separation at Sabaody Archipelago,[12] thus beginning a training period of two years to prepare themselves for the New World.
Bartholomew Kuma reveals his Devil Fruit powers, the Nikyu Nikyu no Mi and his history with Monkey D. Dragon is briefly foreshadowed.
Zoro is severely wounded when Kuma uses his powers to remove all of Luffy's pain from his battles and give it to Zoro. Zoro is not shown with the wounds healed until after the timeskip.
Brook tells the full story behind Laboon's past, and that he is the one who left Laboon.
Brook joins the Straw Hat Pirates as Luffy wanted a musician for a long time.
Lola informs the Straw Hats the secret of the Vivre Card.
Lola also gives them a Vivre Card to her mother to help in the New World.
As it was revealed in the Whole Cake Island Arc that Big Mom does not allow for any of her children to have her Vivre Card, it is unknown to how Lola got ahold of one.
Nami would later put Big Mom's Vivre Card to use during the Whole Cake Island arc.
Lola reveals the paper Ace gave Luffy back in the Alabasta Arc is a Vivre Card as revealed by Lola. Luffy has also noticed that the Vivre Card has begun to burn.
Luffy initially refuses to to go after Ace so as to avoid interfering with his journey, as he is unaware of Ace's current predicament. However, Luffy would later learn the truth in the Amazon Lily Arc, resulting in Luffy traveling to Impel Down to save Ace.

Overall I'll definitely stick with saying that One Piece feels more organic, everything fits into the initial premise of traveling and searching for One Piece. And none of the canon arcs don't have a million ties to other parts of the story. Some of them might take hundreds of episodes to become obvious, but it's always there. No arc feels out of place in that regard. You can criticize some of them for the execution and pacing and whatnot, but not for not having tons of relevance for the main story. Other shows might also have some foreshadowing, but they also have stuff that comes out of nowhere with no good reason for why we haven't heard about it before. And none of them are as consistent and detailed with the foreshadowing as One Piece. Oda never forgets anything he introduced and I love that about the show.

And yeah the Kido wasn't completely ignored, but it showed up in like 1 or 2 arrancar fights IIRC. It was nowhere near as much of a universal tool as it was set up to be initially.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 24, 2017 3:33 PM

Jul 2015
Keiski said:
RogueBubble said:

The 2011 is a remake and is currently getting a full dub. The original dub did not cover the OVA sequels so I definitely recommended the 2011 version.
Mar 24, 2017 4:15 PM

May 2014
Well, I'm personally not a fan of any of those three particular anime, but even then they each shone during at least one arc, or had things I would call good.
Bleach had some really awesome music and art/animation- it just oozed style.
Fairy Tail's early arcs were a lot of fun & I got pretty emotional at times too. In the end, I got bored of them but they weren't completely awful...just too repetitive for my tastes.

I do love a lot of shounen anime though. Hunter x Hunter (2011) is nothing short of a masterpiece, Gintama is somehow consistently hilarious & feelsy even after 300+ episodes, JoJo's is out of the damn stratosphere just like Kars and One Piece seems to be on an upward slope that never ends.

Tbh I've never gotten why people hate on Shounen anime, other than the fact that many are "too long" or are "predictable". There are numerous shounen anime that aren't those things, but it's as if people automatically judge anime by the demographic...I don't get it.

Many people I've met don't peg HxH & Attack on Titan as Shounen, or don't suspect NANA as a Shoujo...as if series that get pretty heavy/controversial or explore complex happenings or relationships can't possibly have a younger target audience.

Then there's the whole "maturity" aspect...because something's a shounen, people may expect it to be dumbed down or immature. Just because something has a lot of gore or profanity, it doesn't necessarily make it mature or even "dark". Honestly, I think loneliness/isolation is handled better in the anime adaptations of One Piece and Black Butler than stuff like Welcone to the NHK and 5cm Per Second...for me at least, the latter two threw the themes in my face a bit too much and almost tried too hard to be dark, introspective & shove their messages down my throat.

But hey, I'm likely in the majority there! 😅
Strawberrycake48Mar 24, 2017 4:29 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2017 4:35 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty much the length
What a a long-runner like One Piece accomplishes in 50-60 episodes, many shows can (try to) do in 13-26 episodes
So now you have to tip the scale:
Have one super long anime on your list or many individual entries?
Mar 24, 2017 6:20 PM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Because they are poorly written and almost all the exact same formula in constant repetition. They are good entry level anime for younger or new anime viewers, but beyond that they have very little worth.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 24, 2017 6:20 PM

Nov 2013
Most are generic schlock made for really dumb kids and go on forever because they're making money, not because the story being told can go on for 20 years.

That being said, there are good ones. My Hero Academia and Assassination Classroom were good. Jojo is also amazing, while it was still a shounen, but then again it does so much different than other manga.
Mar 24, 2017 7:32 PM

Jun 2007
Seen one and you've seen them all. Naruto is/was the best, mind you. Before the timeskip. That and Bleach before the SS arc ended.

See two and you start wanting to twat the next character that talks about 'nakama'. See three? Then you start willing the 'good' characters, other than old people, to die.

See four and Light Yagami becomes the best 'shounen' lead character, ever. That or you suicide over the sheer tedium of the shounen fighting genre. Fuck Fairy Tail.
Mar 24, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2016
lol its called shounen because its for boys in a sense. kinda like how girls wouldnt have 24 model cars on their shelf. (overgeneralzing>)
|
Religion is a parasite, and the only way to exterminate it is to accept facts that can be proven by regular every day activities.
Mar 24, 2017 8:20 PM

Aug 2007
It's just easy to give shit to long running and/or popular anime. It's always been that way, and I definitely have gone through phases of enjoying those kind of shows, or just getting sick and tired of their endlessly naive optimism.

Fairy Tale doesn't appeal to me because it seems to go way, way overboard on the whole "POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" trope. OP has the same issue for me to an extent. Pretty sure people stopped caring about Bleach over a decade ago, sales dropped over in Japan as well, so that's why you never hear much about it anymore, and I doubt there will be anymore seasons or spin off series. There's just no demand for it.

Dragon Ball is a series that I'm still quite fond of and I consider myself a lifelong fan of the franchise.

Mar 24, 2017 8:23 PM

Mar 2017
As a genre, I believe Slice of Life is more reviled.

It's less a hate for the shounen genre than it is a hate for the Big 3. Most people who have problems with the shounen tropes actively avoid shounen anyway.

Since a lot of valid reasons have already been posted, I'll add something not yet brought up.

The Big 3 is the face of anime for people who haven't seen anime. And anyone who says he/she is a fan of anime tend to be seen by these people as fans of annoying drawings yelling "This isn't even my final form!". Some anime fans hate that. And by extension, the root of that perception, not just the people jumping to conclusions or their own self esteem issues.
EankiMar 24, 2017 8:26 PM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Mar 24, 2017 8:25 PM

Nov 2014
Literally what everyone else has been saying. When something gets very popular, it creates lots of controversy and leads to people hating on it simply because it is popular.

I mean look at at SAO. I'm not saying it was the most flawless, well-written anime but it certainly doesn't warrant the claim of "the worst anime ever made" as people who hate on the show like to say.
Mar 24, 2017 8:28 PM

Oct 2015
Keiski said:
Why does it seem like everyone hates on Shounen Anime? Particularly the big 5. Like I saw a poll on here discussing who the worst Author between Hiro Mashima, Tite Kubo, and Masashi Kishimoto. Like wtf? There not perfect, but each is enjoyable to a vast majority of people.
Discuss Below.

Shounen is typically aimed a boy's aged 8 - 18, therefore it all follows fairly stereotypical guidelines. As a majority. First off it primarily comes down to personal opinion and taste. Due to that there is always going to be people who dislike the genre, because its not there cup of tea. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Genre as a whole:
- Power Leveling, most long running shounen's have an issue with power leveling and they begin to lose their feel for reality.
- Character Development, introduction of characters without fleshing out backgrounds or they do get fleshed out and then thrown away to show up in the background with lots of other characters
- Fan Service, this is a matter of personal taste. So it depends on how much you think is too much.
- Story Progression, people get annoyed with the pace of story progression. Especially when filler is thrown in.

Those are the overall issue's that people who watch shounen have. As far those who just don't like the genre they probalby just don't enjoy a lot of fighting or want something that engages them more mentally. Death Note is a popular Shounen, because its an unorthodox battle shounen. Rather than flashy battles, it engages in a battle of wit and it's able to draw even those who don't like the shounen genre.

Anyway moving on.

Fairy Tail -
Character development, look at Lisanna.... literally she had an entire arc about her and Natsu and she's completely thrown to the side afterwords. Or it introduces characters and then never utilizes them.
Power Leveling, overall I would say its consistent in this regard. However its power leveling issue is that it doesn't matter how OP the boss is and they get beat down, they just get and fight again and again. Finally Natsu or someone well final give there last big go and manage to put enough power into it to defeat whoever.
Fan Service, I think just about everyone can agree. It is over the top and continues to get worse....
Story Progression, I pretty much stopped somewhere in the middle of Fairy Tail (2014), however for me it felt like it wasn't going anywhere. There isn't any real "end goal" everyone is just kind of adventuring around doing as they please. At least with shows like Naruto and One Piece, the end goal is defined from the very first episode. To become the Pirate King, to be Hokage. Fairy Tail doesn't have that. Therefor the story progression is always going to be lacking. It lives off of Arc to Arc with the only real thing that ties everything together is questions about the Dragon Slayers.

Naruto -
Character Development, it basically ceased after the chunin exams. After that it went on its tangent of following Naruto around occasionally did stuff on the other guys. No villain was actually "evil", nope, everyone has tragic background story that's fully revealed after Naruto defeats them so they're just a pitiful person that's a victim of society. Regardless of how many people they killed or anything else they did. The show had a good core number of people, it wasn't over filled like Fairy Tail is. The series could have easily done a lot of stuff such as doing different missions with the other teams. Not just when Naruto is around well other characters be involved that it follows.
This also flows into story progression, because we get situations with the show with Kakashi, Obito, and Rin. They could have literally done the entire background in one go, instead we're treated to seeing the same god damn flash back repeated over and over and over and over and over. Not only are we treated to the same damn story with hardly any additional information each time, it interrupts the flow of the last battle going on over and over and over. The fourth great ninja war, if you cut out the filler could probably be done in less than 50 episodes in all. Instead every 2 - 3 episodes they interrupt it with the filler episodes that was a bane of the series. Worst story progression ever.
Other than Dragon Ball, Naruto is probably the worst with power leveling, I don't think that explosion is big enough let's make even bigger ones.

Bleach -
It also suffered from an insane amount of fillers which ruined a lot of the story progression. Outside of that, the author pretty much ruined his own story, instead of ending it when he should have it kept going on and on all in the glorious need for money. Finally readers and viewers got tired of his shit and eventually causing the cancellation of the series and leading to a badly done and rushed ending. I don't think I need to go into the power leveling issues with this one. Especially when the Quincy invaded the Soul King's palace.

As for DBZ, I haven't watch it years and never read the manga so I won't comment.

One Piece -
I actually don't have any issues with One Piece. I could go into why I don't think it suffers from the issues the others do, but that isn't the purpose of your thread.

In the end it all comes down to personal opinion about how you feel for a series. I enjoy all the major shounen's, however all have their various flaws.
Mar 24, 2017 10:06 PM

Jun 2012
Imaishi said:
Don't pay attention to these.
Especially considering how shitty the criticism for battle shonen usually is. These people can't say anything besides 'plot armor', 'nakama power' or 'no one ever dies' as if that was actual criticism.

Pretty much. Most of the people who hate battle shonen as a whole usually never get into specific problems of a series because they actually haven't watched/read much or any of the material.

A lot of the things I see HxH and FMAB get praised for aren't nearly as uncommon or "subversive" as people think, even in WSJ.
Mar 24, 2017 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
Anyone who hates shounen means you should consider watching shojo. Both genre are for specific people and gender.
Mar 25, 2017 1:44 AM

Aug 2016
uhh mainly because every shounen is the same
Mar 25, 2017 10:41 AM

Oct 2013
When did shounen become only the big 5? If anything, shounen works are loved not hated in the community. On Mal the majority of popular works are shounen. In the top 20 alone you have:

Full Metal Alchemist - Rank 2
Gintama - Ranked 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13... and a few other high ranks for its other derivatives.
Hunter x Hunter - Ranked 7
Haikyuu!! - Ranked 11 and 17
Koe no Katachi - Ranked 14
Your Lie in April - Ranked 18
Hajime no Ippo - Ranked 20

Some other well respected shounen works also include GTO, Beck, Samurai Champloo, Zetsuen no Tempest and the list could go on for a while...

If you're talking about why on the forums the big 5 are generally poorly received, there are various reasons, some of which I have listed below.
- The big 5 are often gateway series for people new to anime, so new users come here on the forums praising them as the be-all and end-all of anime. This frustrates a lot of users, especially those experienced, as the big 5 frequently borrows ideas from other works.
- They are flawed stories and frequently engage in poor storytelling techniques to add length. If I recall correctly, I don't think great storytellers like Homer, Shakespeare or Orwell, ever used filler in their stories. Yet the big 5 frequently do so. Then there is the dragged out fights, the fact that the MC has be the strongest but after he accomplishes his goal he suddenly becomes the weakest again trope (Bleach I am primarily looking at you), recaps that comprise far too much of the episode, and so on.
- Their themes are targeted at kids and on MAL, reportedly 91% of the users are aged between 18-34. The average MAL user is not their target audience.
- On the internet some people frequently enjoy to hate or troll on things people like.
shawnofthedeadzMar 25, 2017 10:46 AM
Mar 25, 2017 11:46 AM
Jan 2017
Most long-running series eventually drop in quality, or go into hiatus like HxH. I mean pre-time skip FT was lot of fun, and while it had it's issue, the animation, charisma of the character and awesome soundtrack made it hard to hate the series, but there only so much animationa and soundtrack can do with bad writing.

Other thing is because "elitist attitude", oh this is just action and friendship, is just a dumb show for kids, because it does not say something deeper. Basically people who want high art anime, who opinion can be ignored.

Other thing is because they popular so is shit.
Mar 25, 2017 11:59 AM
Aug 2015
You can't list one reason for why people dislike something. Especially an entire genre. When it comes to shounen anime/manga a lot of people dislike it because they outgrew the genre, the main points of shounen never appealed to them, some people just dislike what's popular and the list can go on and on. I kind of dislike posts like this because you're not really going to learn anything from it because people have different taste and you would probably be better off asking specific people for their opinions instead of trying to get one or 2 blanket reasons for something so broad from a couple of forum posts.
Mar 25, 2017 12:02 PM

Mar 2017
adams215 said:
You can't list one reason for why people dislike something. Especially an entire genre. When it comes to shounen anime/manga a lot of people dislike it because they outgrew the genre, the main points of shounen never appealed to them, some people just dislike what's popular and the list can go on and on. I kind of dislike posts like this because you're not really going to learn anything from it because people have different taste and you would probably be better off asking specific people for their opinions instead of trying to get one or 2 blanket reasons for something so broad from a couple of forum posts.

I didn't ask for just one reason. The whole purpose of the post is for people to give there opinions. Look through the pages there are responses that are multiple paragraphs long.
Mar 25, 2017 12:36 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Personally loving shounen, because I love plot armor coming from the skill of characters, I'm fine with fine plot and god darn Yakitate Japan is the best stuff today.

Mar 25, 2017 3:44 PM
Jan 2017
some Shounen are good but those realy mainstream onse that are way to many sesons are just overrated in my opinion.
Mar 25, 2017 5:20 PM

Jul 2014
They have the cringiest tropes.

- Main characters talking to themselves to conveniently and lazily inform the audience of what they already know unless they have an IQ of 50 or less

- Petulent little babby posturing and shit-talk between people in the middle of a fight.

- WALKYRIEKREUZHAMMER ATTACK! OMFG kid, nobody gives a shit, shut the fuck up and get the fucking fight over with, also you're not German you fucking idiot parasite

- "Hi, I'm a tragic character introduced this episode to die in the next one to give you flimsy excuses to keep going"

- "Oh no, I'm losing, better think back on huggy times with me mommy to get magical energy to try again"

TL;DR: Shounen is the most densely patronizing substance on the planet.
Mar 25, 2017 6:22 PM

Mar 2012
I know a lot of people have problems with Shounen because they are popular and certain people think they are the greatest thing ever but don't branch out and watch other anime.

Just remember, the majority of us probably got introduced to anime through Shounen. It's also to be noted that they vastly vary in quality. They may have similar elements but throwing all Shounen into one pot of quality is wrong.

Another issue is that many of them run on forever which leads to dips in quality, sometimes these dips being massive.

Dragon Ball (Until Buu), Naruto (Original), Bleach (Up to Soul Society), Yu Yu Hakusho (Before last arc), Hunter X Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, and One Piece are all fine examples of what I consider to be some of my favorite anime/manga.
Mar 25, 2017 7:13 PM

Mar 2011
Thread locked and cleaned

Thread contained a lot of individual show reviews and bait with flame war which caused a lot of derailment of the main topic.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 24 minutes ago

10 by Rinrinka »»
29 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

122 by logopolis »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

208 by PurplePants »»
9 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

982 by xaacaa »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.