Forum Settings
Forums

Score Rating: Alternative Score Rating System (1-5, 1-100, etc.) [Closed]

New
Do you want to add another decimal place for better scoring anime?
Yay!
53.7%
Nay!
31.6%
It doesn't really matter...
14.7%
462 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2008 1:00 AM
Mar 2008
The problem here is that what MAL wants is more users, normally adding a rating system with tons of choices makes some people get annoyed and drop rating everything. Why? Having detailed options to score makes people to have the self-forced duty to well-score, then they may think "Well, an 8 could be, but maybe an 8.5, but this isn't as good as that other series, so a 8.4...".
I think that being able to give that kind of scores would be nice for some of us, but for people in general it will be surely awful. Try looking at Youtube, they just got a 5 stars system because with that you don't even need to think about what score do you want to give.
Oct 3, 2008 2:42 AM

Oct 2007
accela said:
I think I may have responded to this thread before.

I believe this is a bad idea, and that 1-10 is already a bad scoring system in the first place.

1-5 is best, but 1-7 is probably what would work the best.

I 100% agree with you (hopefully it wouldn't actually be the numbers 1-5 but maybe a cute icon). Video game websites go through this all the time and some have even changed it for the better because the 1-10 scale, is in fact, a crappy system.

1) No one ever uses the full scale in the first place. Everyone seems to think the only numbers are 1 and 6-10.
2) A huge number scale leads to second guessing. You'll have to look back at every rating you gave to compare to the current anime you're about to rate. Using decimals would be even worse for this.

That Youtube problem is the exact same thing as people using the 1-10 scale by the way. It's almost always a 1 or 10 for people once they choose to love or hate a series without thinking it through.

I personally haven't been using the rating system because I dislike the current scale but I plan on rating things with my own internal scale. '2' would equal one star, '4' would equal two stars, and so forth.
Oct 3, 2008 2:50 AM

Jun 2007
I still think removing the numbers and keeping just the words would solve most of the "everyone has a different meaning for (insert number)" problems. This way everyone knows good mean good and great means great. No more "I use 8 for good and 9 for great" ..etc. It's pointless to have a scoring system if people don't all follow with what each number is supposed to represent. Sure keeping numbers in the "My anime list" lists is fine but on each anime page I think it should just be the words.
Oct 3, 2008 2:52 AM

Oct 2007
DeathfireD said:
I still think removing the numbers and keeping just the words would solve most of the "everyone has a different meaning for (insert number)" problems. This way everyone knows good mean good and great means great. No more "I use 8 for good and 9 for great" ..etc. It's pointless to have a scoring system if people don't all follow with what each number is supposed to represent. Sure keeping numbers in the "My anime list" lists is fine but on each anime page I think it should just be the words.

I think it would still need a tweak though because too many words just makes it confusing for most.
Oct 3, 2008 2:56 AM

Jun 2007
Hostile said:
DeathfireD said:

I think it would still need a tweak though because too many words just makes it confusing for most.

The words are already added...just remove the numbers and the problem is solved.
Oct 3, 2008 9:53 AM

Apr 2008
CaMaVan said:
2 different animes that have scored 8 on my list are not equally good, so I want to be able to specify it more like with decimals.
Then spread your scores out. You can't say say something like that if you don't even use the scale.
DeathfireD said:
It's pointless to have a scoring system if people don't all follow with what each number is supposed to represent.
The scoreing system isn't there for MAL's DB. It's for the users and interaction between them along with compatibility. That position in the Top Anime list is just a bonus.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 3, 2008 7:09 PM

Jun 2007
LoveWifeLunch said:
DeathfireD said:
It's pointless to have a scoring system if people don't all follow with what each number is supposed to represent.
The scoreing system isn't there for MAL's DB. It's for the users and interaction between them along with compatibility. That position in the Top Anime list is just a bonus.

So you're saying it's ok for you to have a different meaning for the number 8 then someone else when it clearly says (8) Very good in the drop down list?

If people cant follow the meanings of the numbers then theres no point in even having the numbers listed. It's not about the DB at all, it's about people all having the same basic understanding of what each value means. This is why words would solve the problem, for the most part. You would still find people voting down shows just for the sake of being assholes but theres nothing you can do about that. At least it would solve the problem of people all having different meanings for each number. Not to mention you would probably see the top anime and manga lists become more accurate.

So let me repeat, the numbers would not completely disappear! They would still show up on your anime and manga list, they would still determine your compatibility with people, etc. The only place they would be gone would be in the drop down lists for the anime and manga pages.
Oct 5, 2008 5:07 PM

Feb 2008
i think this is pointless continuing this thread for so long. more than a year and still people are arguing over a system that is perfectly fine as it is.
as long as people understand the meaning behind the numbers(i.e 7=good, 8=very good, etc.) as the database sescribes and adhere to them then there is no problem.
when people make an arguemnet that, for example, one 8 in there list isnt as good as a differnt 8 then its just a poor arguement since it doesnt change that by the definitions of the numbers 8 means "very good" and so 0.5s in either direction arent going to change that. 1-10 is a standard set for counting and MAL has been perfectly fine using it. why dont we stop arguing about something so mundane and just get back to actually watching anime
Oct 6, 2008 3:45 AM

Jun 2007
5hRreDDy said:
i think this is pointless continuing this thread for so long. more than a year and still people are arguing over a system that is perfectly fine as it is.
as long as people understand the meaning behind the numbers(i.e 7=good, 8=very good, etc.) as the database sescribes and adhere to them then there is no problem.
when people make an arguemnet that, for example, one 8 in there list isnt as good as a differnt 8 then its just a poor arguement since it doesnt change that by the definitions of the numbers 8 means "very good" and so 0.5s in either direction arent going to change that. 1-10 is a standard set for counting and MAL has been perfectly fine using it. why dont we stop arguing about something so mundane and just get back to actually watching anime

I think you're missing the point. The argument isn't about what people say to each other, it's about how the database and a show's rank is affected by people that have their own meaning for the numbers. Your comment
even shows that you agree with my statement.

The way it is right now, loads of people have different meanings for each number even though it says right next to the number "Good", "Very good"..etc. For some reason people ignore the words and replace them with their own meaning and in most cases this messes up how a show is ranked. Removing the numbers and keeping the words just for the show/manga pages would help enforce the meanings behind the numbers and clear some confusion.

I'm only speaking of what I've seen for the past year. It's a noticeable problem and the topic is almost always brought up in show threads for popular shows.
Oct 6, 2008 3:54 AM

Jun 2008
I think we should just use the same 10 point system rank. Keep it simple because later on someone will ask to change the rating to the hundredths place. I think it was a good suggestion based on your thought process, but I believe it is just doesnt justify a good enough purpose to implement.
Oct 7, 2008 9:49 PM

Dec 2007
Not exactly practical, but its one of those functions that I won't complain about if it existed =D Since there are always those times when you know one anime is better than another 8-scored anime but is not as good as a 9-scored anime D:
Oct 12, 2008 4:59 AM

Oct 2008
Well as you can see i am very new with the site, but anway.
Last night when i went to bed, this idea hit me.
You know you can rate from 1-10 and you can see list of what anime show that have the best rating- But then it hit me, what about you can have _1_ show you can put 11 on, just one. With that way, there will be more accurate ratings, because when you search up a show there is often people who have made it a 10 and so on. And when its like that the ratings don`t get accurate as they could have.
Yeah i write like an idiot and i know this idea can sound incredibly stupid, but i just had to get it out.

So please answer what your thoughts upon about this, because i am curious about it.

1: What are the positive thing about this?
2: What are the negative thing about this?

That`s all =)
Oct 12, 2008 5:14 AM

Jul 2008
This one goes up to eleven though. One louder.

Why can't you just put everything on 9 and keep one 10.
Oct 12, 2008 5:16 AM

Oct 2008
well yeah, basically the same thing but, yeah why not.
Oct 12, 2008 6:55 AM

Feb 2005
OZ31 said:
This one goes up to eleven though. One louder.

Hohoho~

I'd imagine it would be sort of a hassle for our lord Xinil to reconstruct the rating system to such an extent, but I follow your train of thought.
There may be cases where people throw top scores left and right, and I too, have found myself guilty of falling prey to the hype of the moment and rate a series one louder than necessary. Many a moment of sudden retrospection have lead me to rescore my list.
But still, we can't very well force people to cut down on their scores, after all, there may possibly be someone who would actually reward all the pokemon series and movies with top scores, and while I am sure most of us would disagree strongly, we can't very well tell this user "Your scores are WRONG".

But then again, for those really great series, there's always the favourite list.
Oct 12, 2008 7:07 AM

Apr 2008
why not just add ratings between each number..like.. 9.1,9.2,9.3 etc?
Oct 12, 2008 7:18 AM

Jul 2008
The 10 point scale is about as pure a rating system as you could get. As long as bleach and naruto aren't near the top, I say the rating system works.

I do understand you train of thought, and something like that would make it so that the popular titles aren't rated as high, but at the same time it may not do anything significant at all. Since all that may happen is the high rated titles getting higher.
Oct 12, 2008 7:31 AM

Oct 2008
Baman, you got it exactly right, same goes for you yakyuu.
This was just a idea that came to me last night.
Put it up here because i was curious about people`s thoughts upon this.
And yeah, you both bring up what the most important things about this is.
1:
Baman said:
OZ31 said:

There may be cases where people throw top scores left and right, and I too, have found myself guilty of falling prey to the hype of the moment and rate a series one louder than necessary. Many a moment of sudden retrospection have lead me to rescore my list.

This is why exactly this came to mind, because i understand why this can happen. That`s why i thought it would be good with this kind of a rating system.

yakyuu-addict said:

I do understand you train of thought, and something like that would make it so that the popular titles aren't rated as high, but at the same time it may not do anything significant at all. Since all that may happen is the high rated titles getting higher.

But yeah, you are probably right. No significant change will happen i guess, but some things will not come up so high i believe.

Take this for an example: Death Note.
As much as i love this series and so on, i have to say it.
I bet most people give this one a 10 right?
But if you can only pick one 10, would Death Note be it?
I doubt it...
Oct 12, 2008 9:40 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Moved to Suggestions board, deleted off-topic posts.

It really sounds unnecessary to me. Just give out 9s instead and keep one 10. The scale of scores is wide enough.

And if you want to discuss a longer rating system, do it in this topic: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1601 .

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 12, 2008 10:11 AM

Oct 2008
Yeah i guess it is kind of unnecessary, but it seemed like the genius plan last night though, oh well :P
Oct 12, 2008 10:13 AM

Apr 2008
I've always wanted MAL to go up to 11. For just one anime.
Oct 12, 2008 11:02 AM

Feb 2008
I only have one 10. It's hard keeping it that way but I just can't justify giving two or more shows a masterpiece rating. There can be only one.
Oct 12, 2008 11:32 AM

Oct 2008
Well that`s good, the way i meant it. You can only have one 10 or you could have rating 11, basically the same thing.. but it aint gonna happen so yeye
Oct 12, 2008 11:54 AM

Aug 2008
Man, this again, just leave rating system alone. Don't try to change it, learn how to use it (in this case).
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 12, 2008 11:57 AM

Oct 2008
I really wish we coud have 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 etc. Because there are a lot of stuff that I don't want to give an 8 because that would be too low but a 9 would be too high. I wish I could have 8.5
Oct 12, 2008 12:04 PM

Oct 2008
Its not about how to use the rating system, it was just a thought about the rating 10 could be used to often...nvm
Nov 16, 2008 7:13 AM
Jan 2008
How about being able to rank an anime : "7.25" or "6.50" or "4.75" , and such?
I'm only talking about .25 , .50 and .75.

The search feature is offline for maintenance, so sorry if this has a already been posted.
Nov 16, 2008 7:40 AM

Jul 2007
*** Topics Merged ***

Though I realise your suggestion differs (very) slightly, it's been brought up as an option a number of times in the midst of this conversation as well.
Nov 16, 2008 11:37 AM
Jan 2008
I'd like this to be implemented. At least the .5-rating.

accela said:
I think I may have responded to this thread before.

I believe this is a bad idea, and that 1-10 is already a bad scoring system in the first place.

1-5 is best, but 1-7 is probably what would work the best.

Really? Then why not implement a 1-2 rating. That would be a lot better, right?

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. ~ Asandari.
asandariNov 16, 2008 11:43 AM
Nov 16, 2008 11:44 AM

Sep 2007
1-2 wouldn't be that bad, since it would correspond to "liked it" "didn't like it", or Thumbs-up/Thumbs-down. I have to agree that 1-5 is best, though. Great, Good, Average, Poor, Horrible. Clean and simple.

And I should also say I'm opposed to the idea of making the system even more complex. I already agonize over ratings enough with 10 choices.
Nov 16, 2008 1:12 PM

Jun 2008
You are forgetting an important feature of MAL's when suggesting a simpler and shorter rating system; MAL's database of average score by users (Top Anime/Manga page). With a 1-2 rating system, this feature of users' average score wouldn't work. The score 1 would be the current 1-5 and the score 2 would be the current 6-10. So that would make an anime/manga with [1000 scores of 10 and 500 scores of 5, average score = 8.33] equally rated with another one with [1000 scores of 6 and 500 scores of 1, average score = 4.33].

The same aspect concerns the 1-5 scoring system, but it will of course have less impact on the average scores than the above one.

There are 2 factors to consider when chosing a score system;
1 - Precision of score and average score among many users (a "10, 9.9, 9.8, 9.7, 9.6... 1.1, 1.0" -interval will work much better than a "1.9, 1.8, 1.7, 1.6, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, 1.0" one with average score scored by many users)
2 - General view and comparison among anime/manga (You can't compare a 9 and a 6 with the 1-2 system as they would both turn out as a 2)

10 score choices lies very nice in harmony between those 2 factors imo. - better than a 5 or 2 choice would.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Nov 20, 2008 6:43 AM
Jan 2008
I was being sarcastic with the "1-2 rating" system...
I'm for the more complex ranking system.
Nov 20, 2008 9:23 AM
Nov 2007
I believe the 1-10 system is already complex enough, no need to complicate things further. The current system is simple enough that the ratings are fairly clear, but complex enough that the user average works as intended. Nothing further needs to be done.
Nov 20, 2008 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
It seems very unnecessary and counter-productive. Having 10 levels of quality should be more than enough. Comparing scores with others will just be muddled.
Nov 20, 2008 1:08 PM

Feb 2008
I think 1-5 is good. It's enough to distinguish your opinion on the series, and it would be easier to rate things. The only problem is it would be harder to say what is a masterpiece and what's close to being one, but has a few flaws. So, I think it's easiest to just stick with the 1-10 system.
If any changes should be made, it should be to 1-5, not adding decimals. 10 is already enough, and IMO decimals will just make everything harder (i.e. difference between an anime rated 6.6 and 6.7) overall.

If decimals were added I probably wouldn't use them anyway. It'd be too much of a pain going over my entire list. 10 is enough.
Shana is love.

Nov 20, 2008 1:34 PM

Jun 2007
I'm quite fond of the simple scale we have now. I like to think about anime and sometimes analyze it, but getting into the decimal scale would just be overkill I think.
Nov 20, 2008 1:48 PM

Sep 2007
CaMaVan said:
You are forgetting an important feature of MAL's when suggesting a simpler and shorter rating system; MAL's database of average score by users (Top Anime/Manga page). With a 1-2 rating system, this feature of users' average score wouldn't work. The score 1 would be the current 1-5 and the score 2 would be the current 6-10. So that would make an anime/manga with [1000 scores of 10 and 500 scores of 5, average score = 8.33] equally rated with another one with [1000 scores of 6 and 500 scores of 1, average score = 4.33].

The same aspect concerns the 1-5 scoring system, but it will of course have less impact on the average scores than the above one.

I disagree. There are plenty of websites that implement Thumbs up/thumbs down in the same way that MAL computes average scores, like Rotten Tomatoes. And the 1-10 system has the fatal flaw that a "7" or a "3" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. I consider 6 series to be pretty good... many people don't. On the other hand, everyone treats thumbs-up, or thumbs-down the same way.

Of course, I'm fine with keeping things as they are, although I would prefer a 1-5 system.
Nov 20, 2008 1:52 PM

Nov 2006
it isn't going to change so this thread should be locked or something
Nov 25, 2008 3:52 PM

Nov 2007
I once had suggested this because I was kinda frustrated with everyone having a different standard for rating,

but now that I read some of the ideas here, a 1-5 system might be pretty effective rather than 10.

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Sep 21, 2009 3:17 AM
Dec 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing a change to the rating system. 1-10 is nice but if say decimals were added, i feel it would be more accurate a rating. For example i would give two shows a 8, but definitely think they do not deserve to be rated the same. Just a friendly suggestion =3
Nov 9, 2009 12:48 AM

Jun 2009
Hey there,

first of all I don't know for sure whether this suggestion has already been made before, but I couldn't find anything related by using the search function.

There's just one thing that I'm really missing on this excellent site, and that's a more detailed rating system for Anime and Manga. Imagine you're looking for some REALLY funny comedy Anime's and you use the tag filter for the comedy genre, so you get a list of all the Anime containing the comedy tag. Now you can sort them ascending or descending by Name, Average Rating and so on.. but that doesn't give you information about what Anime's are considered to be the funniest, or less funniest.

What I mean is MyAnimeList lacks a function to rate the genre itself: Like for instance a new tab in the bar where you can already chose from Forum, Stats, Recommendations, Summary, Reviews etc. just one more for Detailed Rating.

The "Detailed Rating" includes a kind of poll with all important tags you can find on MyAnimeList, like Romance, Comedy, Slice of Life, etc. and you can give them points from 1-10 seperately. Also it should be possible for everyone to view the results at any time, even if you didn't vote yet, for the case that if you're interested in watching (for example) a comedy series and you wanna know whether it's got more comedy than romance or vise versa..

In conclusion you get a list of single tags all rated differently:

Romance 7.5
Comedy 5.4
Slice of Life 2.4
Action 7.6
Mystery 1.2

Now you should be able to find the proper Anime or Manga which suits your taste the best. In addition to this poll, you should be able to sort the Anime and Manga in an overall list according to these values. That means if you're looking for the funniest Anime or Manga, you simply sort the list: Comedy descending, or something like this. I cannot express myself very well today, maybe I'm a bit too sleepy right now, but I hope you understand my suggestion.

Awaiting some comments, ty :)
Nov 9, 2009 2:46 AM

Nov 2007
We change the genres on shows occasionally; what will happen to the rating once a tag disappears? Not to mention people will have to go back and rerate a new tag. Tags are generally accurate already. For instance, we don't slap Comedy on something that might throw in one or two funny moments in an otherwise serious setting (ex. Hellsing Ultimate). Overall, the current rating for series as a whole is still a rather decent indicator on how well the show will deliver to its respective genres.

You're not just talking about a small addition, this would be an entire new system that would have to be implemented. And from my point of view, it's a rather complex system that could easily be matched if you ask people in the Recommendations sub forum.

It's not a bad idea; I just don't see it being feasible.
Nov 9, 2009 4:40 AM

Jun 2009
Well, it's not the intention to rate the tags of the specific anime or manga, I rather thought about creating a list of tags like it's to be seen in the advanced search window. This list would be the same for every anime/manga but rated individually, and it doesn't have anything to do with the actual tags. In conclusion you would get the exact same poll with different results, and you could easily see if an anime or a manga [for example] is considered to be more funny or more romantic or filled with more action like another from the same genre. Comparing animes and mangas is quite different with the current rating system, so I thought about this.
Nov 9, 2009 12:08 PM

Feb 2008
This sounds really complicated and I seriously doubt a lot of people would want to go into this much detail with their scores. I sometimes have difficulties getting my scores down to a single number and now you're asking me for 30 different scores? :)

I'm not saying this won't be implemented, but I think you'd need quite a lot of support for the big man to even consider doing this.
Jan 15, 2010 8:36 PM

Jun 2008
First things first, let me say I know this topic is over a year old. However, the most recent topic suggesting this (From late Sep. 09) was locked and linked to here, so I figured that was telling me to post here if at all on this subject.

First off, my stance on this: I really like the idea of .5's in the rating system (.1's and such I feel are overkill and wouldn't use, though I wouldn't be opposed to it either). I have over 100 anime completed (and from what I've seen of other lists, that's not really very many) and I'd like to differentiate some of the scores, since although I may have two series listed under one score, that does not mean I think they are at all equal. The way I round is on a series-by-series basis, so there could be one series I feel deserves 8.5 but end up giving 8 and another I feel deserves 7.5 but also end up giving 8, simply because I felt both were closer to 8 than 9 or 7. In this case, I actually feel there should be a full point difference between the two but I end up giving them the same score.

Some of the problems people have with this that I've read:

"It's unneeded!"

Just like a lot of things on this site and in life in general (like...this site). That's why this is in Suggestions and not Support; if it was actually needed, that is likely where it would be.

"It would make scoring too complicated!"

How so? There have been plenty of suggestions on how this could be implemented while anyone who doesn't want to use it doesn't even have to acknowledge its existence. I think the best one was another drop-down bar right next to the current one that gives the option of ".0" or ".5", set to ".0" by default. Either that or a checkbox next to the drop-down box to add .5 (Likely disabled for scores of 10).

It has also been pointed out that this wouldn't cause any strain on the server or take more bandwidth, and also would not take much time to implement (I'm quoting others on this, I can't say why/how myself).

"It clearly says "No" in the FAQ!"

The following is taken from that other topic I linked to (Ironically, someone who doesn't support this idea):
This is in the FAQ section. This means that it has been asked many times for various reasons, so often in fact, that it is the second most frequent request.

Wanna know what else is in the FAQ?

Note: Keep in mind that with overwhelming support most of the above rejected suggestions would have a chance at being implemented. However, being on this list means that they have been turned down numerous times before.

Apparently this is the second most frequent request. Maybe that can't be defined as "overwhelming" support without some more evidence, but the way I see it, unless this feature literally cannot be added to the site or would otherwise have some massively negative effect, I see no reason not to try it out. Those who don't want it/don't care would not be affected and those who want it can have it. Everyone wins.

I'm sure there's something else I wanted to add originally, but I can't think of it right now.
Jan 17, 2010 6:11 AM

May 2009
Jan 18, 2010 7:20 AM
Mar 2009
kimatg said:
but now that I read some of the ideas here, a 1-5 system might be pretty effective rather than 10.

I use that on my site. I don't think the 1-10 system is really effective. Most animes' average scores on mal are > 5. It's not that they're all positively rated, it's that the span is too wide. In fact, it's such that if you see an anime with an average rating of 5 or 6 (which should be average), you perceive it as low quality. Well, at least I do because I'm too accustomed to most stuff being 7-9.
Jan 18, 2010 1:00 PM

Apr 2009
pedosensei said:
kimatg said:

I use that on my site. I don't think the 1-10 system is really effective. Most animes' average scores on mal are > 5. It's not that they're all positively rated, it's that the span is too wide. In fact, it's such that if you see an anime with an average rating of 5 or 6 (which should be average), you perceive it as low quality. Well, at least I do because I'm too accustomed to most stuff being 7-9.
Precision of a ratings system does not significantly affect average score. If you wanted to have 5-6 truly be average, you'd have to normalize scores or do something similar.

Also, I support .5 ratings, if you don't want to, you don't have to use them, but I would really like to better distinguish my ratings (I had to reduce my average score to 5.4 to give a better range of ratings, something I'm not terribly happy about).
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Jan 18, 2010 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
pedosensei said:
kimatg said:

From earlier in the topic:
Asako said:
hybridkiller said:
I'm against it. It's rather useless in the first place.

I think 99.9% of the people here consider 7 or 8 to be the "average" score for a show. The issue here isn't that there are not enough ratings, it's that we don't use the right words to describe each rating.

The typical 1-10 scale would suggest 5 is the average anime. 50% of all shows would be rated equal to or higher than 5, and 50% would be equal to or less than 5. The vast majority of everything you rate would be either a score of a 4 or a 6. How many people on this website ever rate any series below 5? Very few.

Why do people keep saying stuff like that? Who continues watching a series they consider terrible, in general? Most of people's completed lists SHOULD be 5+ not with 5 as the average. At least, I don't make a habit of watching trash. I have 20 or 30 entries below 5. Granted, I don't list my dropped series, and I've dropped a hellova lot of bad stuff over the years. But unless people really do list and score everything they drop or watch because they're masochistic, values under 5 shouldn't be used very often.

Asako said:
hybridkiller said:
So (in this scale) if you've seen 20 anime, effectively 10 of your anime should be rated above a 5, and 10 should be below a 5 if your scale was was trying to be accurate.

I have to strongly disagree. What if all 20 anime you've seen were things you loved, going by friends (who know your tastes) recommendations, or top charts online with some considerations to genres, so you simply don't hit any bombs? I can, and have easily recommend 20 series to my friends (if I know enough of their tastes) that they will rate 9-10 guaranteed.

This isn't about mathematical principles, it's about taste. Likes and dislikes. There's no math involved in that. Which is why you should be seeing 7 as the median score, because people will be rating the vast majority of what they watch between 5 and 10. The sub-5 values exist to be able to show a dislike (from mild to strong) though as I said, people generally shouldn't be watching enough shows they dislike to make up half of their list.
Jan 20, 2010 11:16 AM

May 2009
I like the idea of making the score system more accurate. Although I think that the best solution would be with scores with an interval of 0.5 (or the +/- system its the same). I don't think this would annoy anyone, and many users would appreciate it for sure.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Today, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.