Forum Settings
Forums

Does your rating change on animes you've seen after you've watched a few new ones?

Mar 20, 6:29 PM

Or do you stick to what you felt in the moment of rating it the first time?

Mar 20, 6:34 PM

I assume you mean new episodes?
hypothetically, yeah I'd change the score because a show could start off really good and really bad and progressively switch :]

Mar 20, 6:40 PM

When I first started, all my entries had quite high scores. Overtime, watching better and worse things chances my outlook on new anime. The standards usually rise gradually over time, therefore decreasing many of the shows I scored high initially.

Mar 20, 6:41 PM

After watching a shitload of animes you can establish what is average to you and etc. If I only watched 3 average animes and rated them all 10s but then stumbled upon an actual 10 at the 4th anime, then my standards would change and I'd lower the previous ones. So if you watched hundreds of anime you can see the few anime that stand out in comparison to the others.

Mar 20, 6:41 PM

When i first started on MAL and started watching new types of anime, but ratings did change a little. Now mostly they are set in stone.

Mar 20, 6:45 PM

almost all of the shows i watched early on i have downed 1 or 2 numbers
i think its just the honeymoon-phase of anime where you love everything you watch at the beginning, and when you watch more and more you realize that some of the stuff you love isnt that great really

KazuyaKujo said:

pretty sure that OP means that you finish one series, then watch a bunch of others, and then change the rating of the first one

Hakuna Matata

Mar 20, 6:52 PM

KazuyaKujo said:
hypothetically, yeah I'd change the score because a show could start off really good and really bad and progressively switch :]

Yes new episodes depending on how long it is.
I usually watch 25 episode animes while I'm watching one long one.
Like I'm watching Shippuden right now but switching over to Shiki, and Wondering Son.
After I watch different ones, over time I realize how high of an opinion I have when first rating other ones I've watched.

Mar 20, 7:01 PM

Ohh then yeah I change my score from that
In fact, I'll take it another step
I'll watch a few eps of one show and switch to something else and never watch that anime back ever again
It'll either get stuck on my on-hold or watching list forever while I finish much more interesting shows
This of course drops the score of the show for me because it's not as interesting to em as the other shows are
;]

Mar 20, 7:12 PM

Good question,

For me I don't change it, It's true that I regret some scores I gave.

But I still don't change it cause I know the time when I watched every anime ,my mood and the feeling it gave me when i I finished it ...

Even if I give XXXX 8/10 I know for exemple that I watched YYYY before it and YYYY was much better and gave it 10/10 which had an impact on XXXX rating .

Which means my rating is related also to time,mood,and the anime I watched before it .
"I will think about it next time"
My school days AMV ===>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeljJYgMyVk

Help the industry and buy Blurays this way the quality of anime will grow to the sky and you will enjoy better animation, people unfortunately doesn't know that TV compared to bluray is like a lamp compared to the Sun .

Mar 20, 7:16 PM

I needed to reconsider my ratings when I started to watch more anime and discovered series which brough a new meaning to some key words such as "shit" and "masterpiece".

Mar 20, 7:17 PM

Well, it happens very rarely. I think I changed some scores (for like 4 shows?) by +1/-1 over time.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."

Mar 20, 7:19 PM

No. I reconsider my ratings after reflecting on why I enjoyed the anime.

Mar 20, 7:24 PM

I do change my scores all the time tbh, not just because of watching more anime, I am just never satisfied with them so I tend to change them a lot, every now and then I make like a bigger run down of my list and fuck around with the ratings a little (been planning to do that soon actually) and sometimes I experiment with the scale like for example for some time I rated solely as a ranking without any below # = dislike, above # = like ETC, and so on. Once I gave up completely and just deleted all my ratings for a month or two... then brought the back... eh...

Mar 20, 7:25 PM

I changed my rating just once and I'm thinking of changing it again after watching Sangatsu no Lion. It's just that great.

"A lie about a lie turns inside out on itself"

Mar 20, 9:57 PM

This is why I stopped rating anime based on a numbered scale. After watching more and more anime, I realized that I was never happy with the scores I had given certain anime and kept changing them every so often, much to my own annoyance. Questions such as, "is nine too high?" "is five too low?" and "how does this anime compare to other anime with the same score?" were constantly at the back of my mind. So I switched to a simpler scale that worked much better for me: "loved it," "liked it," "disliked it," and "hated it."
Modified by Wander_Wolf, Mar 20, 10:09 PM

Mar 20, 10:27 PM

Naturally, yes. My 10s of the past (Code Geass, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Log Horizon, Toradora, and Sakurasou) I have now given much lower ratings. In fact, sometimes I even feel that I was too harsh when re-rating an anime well after I had seen it and instead decide to raise it back up. I've had Sword Art Online rated all of the numbers between 4 and 8 at one point or another.

Every once in a while I find myself giving several anime the same rating even though I felt quite differently about them which gives me the impression that I need to scale down to rate more accurately. This requires rating anime I had previously rated 2s and 3s down to 1 to make room, which brings my mean down a lot. I did this once and tried to do it a second time, but the second time failed because I had grown to attached to my current system.

I recently raised Railgun 2 up to a 10 because I realized that with all things considered it really does mean enough to me to deserve a 10. I also just don't have enough 10s (7 currently out of over 1000 completed anime).

Mar 21, 12:20 AM

Yes my ratings will change because I'm open to adjustment. I understand that there could be recency bias or nostalgia and so whenever I finish an anime, I give it a rating and then look at all the other anime that I rated with similar scores. If I feel that anime should be better than the others, I'll either raise up the score for the anime I just finished or lower the score of the older anime that was being compared.

Mar 21, 12:52 AM

I update my ratings every year to see how my taste changed.

Two possibilities exist:
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.
-Arthur C. Clarke

Mar 21, 12:54 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure, when I watch more of similar type of anime but one is clearly better than the other I gain a lot of perspective and I adjust accordingly.

Mar 21, 12:57 AM

Yes. My rating changes after I see another anime sometimes in the same genre that does the same thing better. Example Yuri on Ice does everything Free did better. Sometimes anime don't hold up after a while. K-On isn't as good after you watch Love Live.
The anime community in a nutshell.

Mar 21, 1:00 AM

When I finish a show I'll usually score it on how I feel as that show ends. But if I go back to my list I'll often go back over entries that I rated particularly highly and see if I'd keep their score that high.

A few times I've given shows a 9 only to drop them later to an 8 or 7 because I realise that it didn't impact me as much in the long run as I thought it did. I think scores in the moment are important but when building a list of favourites the shows that really stay with you and leave an impact are the ones that remain with high scores.

This has gone the other way though, shows I initially rated quite low I've either gone back and re-watched or thought about it more and given it a score boost (Kekkai Sensen, is a particular standout for me in that regard)

Mar 21, 1:02 AM

Yeah, most of the time... If there's an anime I rated 10 but after the hype effect I realize it wasn't bad, yet it wasn't that good lol

So I decide to change it.
Cuteness>All
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Shitpost and Cuteness server.

Mar 21, 1:03 AM

very rarely i do spontaneously change a rating or two.. used to do it more often in the past

i think the last one i did was X (TV) sometime at the end of last year