Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2017 9:16 PM

Oct 2015
Srsly, where do people find all these Elitists i keep hearing about?

The ones that say modern anime sucks and hate on everything that is new and hate casual shows and only like all the smart shows.

Were they really that common back in the early days of mal?

Cause in all honesty i have seen more anti-elitists than i see elitists. :/

Note: im just using the phrase they like to use, i know that the anti elitists are usually elitists themselves.]
i mean the generic boogey man elitists that casual like to claim exists
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2017 9:17 PM

Aug 2016
I go to Indigo Plateau to find elitists
Mar 19, 2017 9:19 PM

Jul 2016
They're in hiding waiting till the next season comes out.
Mar 19, 2017 9:20 PM

Oct 2015
Sterps said:

next season is almost here tho and i still dont see them :o
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 19, 2017 9:21 PM

Jul 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Sterps said:

Gotta learn the art of war then. They'll come in and strike unexpectedly all at once.
Mar 19, 2017 9:25 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
They're just mythical beings, pay no heed to those "anti-mythical being" fuckfaces

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 19, 2017 9:26 PM

Feb 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Sterps said:

He probably meant they will pop up to trash all the new highly anticipated shows.

But Where have you been the past few days? I personally don't care, but I'm not going to deny that they're aren't plenty of elitists. The real problem though, are the "anti-elitists". Since I became an active member on the forums, I've never really seen any elitists randomly going around trashing shows for no reason. It's usually always someone who makes a thread regarding topic that will no doubt attract elitists/wanna be elitists because they think it's cool.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1598603
Mar 19, 2017 9:29 PM

Oct 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

He probably meant they will pop up to trash all the new highly anticipated shows.

But Where have you been the past few days?

i posted a few things in there, point?
Mar 19, 2017 9:32 PM

Jun 2015
Oh boy, an elitist thread on monday. What a nice way to start the week.
Mar 19, 2017 9:33 PM

Feb 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

But Where have you been the past few days?

My point? Well if you didn't get my original point, then my new point is this thread is pointless. Asking about where are the "elitists" and yet you were just in a thread with some.
Mar 19, 2017 9:35 PM

Oct 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

My point? Well if you didn't get my original point, then my new point is that you're a moron. Asking about where are the "elitists" and yet you were just in a thread with some.

pls point to me a NON shit post in that thread that actually hates modern anime for being MODERN
and not cause their taste dont align with what is new.
Mar 19, 2017 9:38 PM

Jun 2015
Elitists don't exist.

Jolteon is the only good eevolution, btw.

Mar 19, 2017 9:40 PM

Jul 2016
He's an elitist, she's an elitist, you're an elitist. *Squidward voice* We're all elitists.
Mar 19, 2017 9:40 PM

Apr 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:

The ones that say modern anime sucks and hate on everything that is new and hate casual shows and only like all the smart shows.

Note: im just using the phrase they like to use, i know that the anti elitists are usually elitists themselves.]

Because MAL never sound about it anymore.

if you went to my blogging site, whenever blog about Mirai Nikki or Charlotte is on top, there'll be some people shitting on it.
Mar 19, 2017 9:42 PM

May 2015
theres was a recent thread on an elitist who hated rezero but loved Erased and shouwa genroku

it seems the general definition of elitist has shifted to the more accurate description of anyone who feels their opinions are more impactful than others'
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 19, 2017 9:42 PM

Oct 2015
You said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

if you went to my blogging site, whenever blog about Mirai Nikki or Charlotte is on top, there'll be some people shitting on it.

o0 0o there we go, link to blog pls, ^ this is wat this thread was for, finding me new reasons to hate humanity
Mar 19, 2017 9:45 PM

Sep 2015
they're regrouping after their defeat during the 27th anime war
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Mar 19, 2017 9:49 PM

Apr 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
You said:

o0 0o there we go, link to blog pls, ^ this is wat this thread was for, finding me new reasons to hate humanity

http://aminoapps.com/p/wyekx
http://aminoapps.com/p/dnybsm
http://aminoapps.com/p/hvy6wo

My own blog:
http://aminoapps.com/p/k10nza

There's still a lot of it but I'm just too lazy to search for it.
Mar 19, 2017 9:51 PM

Oct 2015
You said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

My own blog:

what is the context of your eva blog?
Mar 19, 2017 9:56 PM

Apr 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
You said:

My own blog:

what is the context of your eva blog?

Eva is better in a literal judging, but Elfen Lied is more enjoyable... I use to create thread about it here, only to be deleted by mods due to the amount of salt
YouMar 19, 2017 10:05 PM
Mar 19, 2017 10:03 PM

Oct 2015
ah ok, well, good elitist salt to bring on my trip ^-^
Mar 19, 2017 10:04 PM

Oct 2016
Well to sum it up, anyone who thinks their taste in anime is better is an elitist. That's how simple the definition is!

As long as you keep sprouting non-sense that this Person-X has shit taste for liking Anime-Z, then you're no different.

I wonder why we're making this too complicated. lol

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Mar 19, 2017 10:12 PM

Feb 2016
Scarlett_ryuken said:
OneNaughtyBear said:
My point? Well if you didn't get my original point, then my new point is that you're a moron. Asking about where are the "elitists" and yet you were just in a thread with some.

pls point to me a NON shit post in that thread that actually hates modern anime for being MODERN
Hmmm. Post #2 seems to be what you're looking for....
Mar 19, 2017 10:27 PM

Mar 2014
I found one in a lake behind my house, an "eel it is" XD
Mar 19, 2017 10:30 PM

Feb 2013
I've seen Serial Experiments Lain a few times so I think I qualify? I think that's how it works...
Mar 19, 2017 10:35 PM

Jul 2009
They're hiding somewhere planning a coup on MAL soon. Better get ready OP.
Mar 19, 2017 10:37 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty sure elitism is just a frame of mind. You know like how other people think they have the best taste(which is impossible because I do).
:)
Mar 19, 2017 10:39 PM

Oct 2015
desseroni said:
Pretty sure elitism is just a frame of mind. You know like how other people think they have the best taste(which is impossible because I do).

i know that, do the "anti elitist" hunters tho? :/
Mar 19, 2017 10:46 PM

Feb 2016
Daddy-O said:
I've seen Serial Experiments Lain a few times so I think I qualify? I think that's how it works...

You totally qualify with these elitist favorites. Care not to like anything actually enjoyable but only 'deep' and 'well written' shows...

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 19, 2017 10:49 PM

Mar 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:
desseroni said:

nooooooooo, elitists are part of fandom too, lol XD
Mar 19, 2017 10:50 PM

Jun 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
desseroni said:

Probably not. Most of them just make posts hating stuff with no solid arguements.
:)
Mar 19, 2017 11:00 PM

Nov 2011
Tonysol67 said:
they're regrouping after their defeat during the 27th anime war

I wonder how long it will be before the general populace of AD forgets about the epic battles between Xinil and SSJMaster.

Truly a sight to behold.
Mar 19, 2017 11:30 PM

Nov 2014
Anti-elitists are just idiots who don't get that most "elitists" are trolls or are simply miscategorised by them.

Kinda like anti-fascists nowadays. "<Insert name here> is a fascists! It's OK to punch a Nazi." Then they go off calling everyone a fascist.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 20, 2017 12:47 AM

May 2009
Brb said:
"For you, the day you made a thread about elitists on MAL was a very important day in your life. But for the anime community, it was Monday."

codephat said:
Well, it IS one of only two gen 1 mons that can relatively safely produce that CHA-CHANG super-effectiveness sound against Alakazam and Mewtwo, so that's gotta be worth something.

Malarkey said:
it seems the general definition of elitist has shifted to the more accurate description of anyone who feels their opinions are more impactful than others'
Honestly I'm inclined to agree with this observation -- it's not about one's tastes so much as it is about certain people's tendency to try to lord it over others.

The fandom DOES have preferences for certain shows over others, as a general rule -- ask for general recs and you'll almost certainly get Cowboy Bebop and Baccano, you might get Angel Beats and Death Note, you'll occasionally get Nanoha and Crest of the Stars, and you'll almost never get Umi Monogatari and Kiddy Grade, for example.

But statistics are computable for any such grouping. What's more important is what people do with these statistics. Some people like to use them to establish social superiority one way or another, either by using that as a social meterstick or fighting against it.

hpiece8 said:
I found one in a lake behind my house, an "eel it is" XD
Tasty.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 20, 2017 12:48 AM

Nov 2009
Scarlett_ryuken said:

This time, I made sure to bookmark a particularly elitist reply just to answer this question.

Scarlett_ryuken said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

Please do note that anybody who espouses an "Elitist" viewpoint is elitist. Regardless of how serious that person is.
When I see somebody killing people, I will not ask whether they're doing it ironically.

Also, "elitist" is exactly about people's taste not aligning with anything except a few works that suck up to elitists. A stereotypical elitist should like a modern show like Occultic;Nine just because it's hard to understand and inaccessible.
flannanMar 20, 2017 12:57 AM
Mar 20, 2017 1:16 AM

Feb 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:

The fandom DOES have preferences for certain shows over others, as a general rule -- ask for general recs and you'll almost certainly get Cowboy Bebop and Baccano, you might get Angel Beats and Death Note, you'll occasionally get Nanoha and Crest of the Stars, and you'll almost never get Umi Monogatari and Kiddy Grade, for example.

But statistics are computable for any such grouping. What's more important is what people do with these statistics. Some people like to use them to establish social superiority one way or another, either by using that as a social meterstick or fighting against it.

Idk how serious you are but comparing 4 of the most popular and acclaimed shows to some ecchi who 10k people have seen? I never see some of my favorites recommended either and its totally understandable, as some series/movies just arent that popular. A much more valid example would be comparing how often one of the shows you listed and Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail get recommended.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Mar 20, 2017 1:45 AM

Feb 2013
in that anime snob's videos and comment section
Mar 20, 2017 2:00 AM

Jan 2016
codephat said:
Elitists don't exist.

I prefer Espeon with Magic Bounce and a timid nature.

I wonder if elitism can be applied to Pokemon.
Mar 20, 2017 2:05 AM

Oct 2015
Johnnyd3rp said:
codephat said:
Elitists don't exist.

go to youtube, go to the search bar, type verlisify enjoy
Mar 20, 2017 2:05 AM

Oct 2014
If someone believes anime quality is objective then it means they're an elitist. If you make another thread asking people if they think anime quality is objective I bet you'll find loads of elitists. Elitist just means "someone who believes quality is determined by the opinions of the elite who have better taste than the rest and generally consider themselves to be one of these people". Casuals can be elitists just as long as they believe.
Mar 20, 2017 2:06 AM

Oct 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
If someone believes anime quality is objective then it means they're an elitist. If you make another thread asking people if they think anime quality is objective I bet you'll find loads of elitists. Elitist just means "someone who believes quality is determined by the opinions of the elite who have better taste than the rest and generally consider themselves to be one of these people". Casuals can be elitists just as long as they believe.

i know what it means :/ im asking all the casuals who think elitist == taste :/
Mar 20, 2017 2:14 AM

Mar 2017
Johnnyd3rp said:
codephat said:
Elitists don't exist.

Both of you are incorrect. The answer is always Eevee. Why?

romagia said:
in that anime snob's videos and comment section
Lol, why do need to mention Mr. Pretentious and his sheeples? If anything, they are bunch of drama queens with no sense of humor (I mean, OK I get FW's "adult dragonball" was dumb but you just made it dumber by using it with stupid jojokes and one liners)
John_2001Mar 20, 2017 2:19 AM
Mar 20, 2017 2:17 AM

May 2009
HamburgerSpike said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Idk how serious you are but comparing 4 of the most popular and acclaimed shows to some ecchi who 10k people have seen? I never see some of my favorites recommended either and its totally understandable, as some series/movies just arent that popular. A much more valid example would be comparing how often one of the shows you listed and Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tail get recommended.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say...

What I meant to say was that it's simply fact that some things are more popular than other things, and that that by itself isn't really as important as how people interpret this fact to suit whatever opinion they espouse or whatever point they want to make.

(Also I'd hesitate to call Kiddy Grade "ecchi" as it really doesn't have much more fanservice than a lot of things, and focusing on that basically misses what the story is about. So I've always disagreed with MAL's label there. But whatever. Forcing people to watch stuff one likes isn't something I want to do anyway.)
GlennMagusHarveyMar 20, 2017 2:21 AM
Mar 20, 2017 2:20 AM

Sep 2009
@flannan
I repent! I'm definitely not an elitist; I don't like, or even acknowledge, LOGTH, Berserk, or Monster. It's impossible.
MortalMelancholyMar 20, 2017 2:33 AM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 20, 2017 2:28 AM

Feb 2016
@GlennMagusHARVEY I just meant that when measuring the fandoms preferences by the number of recommendations, Kiddy Grade is no match for something like Cowboy Bebop/Angel Beats/Death Note as theyre overwhelmingly more popular so Naruto and Bleach would be better examples of even more popular series getting recommended less.

Mar 20, 2017 2:28 AM

May 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
@flannan
I repent! I'm definitely not an elitist; I don't even like LOGTH, Berserk, or Monster. It's impossible.
I still haven't decided whether it's a good or a bad thing that I haven't seen most of the shows on these general rec lists.

Honestly it's probably neutral or good depending on what I'm in the mood for. I certainly don't hate these series for them being popular (though the amount to which LOGTH gets bandied around as The Show That People With Good Taste Always Praise can get rather excessive at times). Besides, of the ones I've seen, some I really like while others I found to fall flat for me.

Some people may say it's bad because I'm not getting exposure to more styles of anime, but then that leads to the question of "why do you watch anime?" to which my answer is "because I enjoy it", not "because I need to study it for class" or something.

HamburgerSpike said:
@GlennMagusHARVEY I just meant that when measuring the fandoms preferences by the number of recommendations, Kiddy Grade is no match for something like Cowboy Bebop/Angel Beats/Death Note as its overwhelmingly more popular so Naruto and Bleach would be better examples of even more popular series getting recommended less.
Ah I see what you mean. That's probably a more rigorous to look at it since it controls for base popularity.

I was thinking of including SAO, AOT, or Guilty Crown as examples but I figured they might be confusing for my point. But actually they could serve yours.
Mar 20, 2017 2:37 AM

Sep 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
MortalMelancholy said:
@flannan
I repent! I'm definitely not an elitist; I don't even like LOGTH, Berserk, or Monster. It's impossible.
I still haven't decided whether it's a good or a bad thing that I haven't seen most of the shows on these general rec lists.

Honestly it's probably neutral or good depending on what I'm in the mood for. I certainly don't hate these series for them being popular (though the amount to which LOGTH gets bandied around as The Show That People With Good Taste Always Praise can get rather excessive at times). Besides, of the ones I've seen, some I really like while others I found to fall flat for me.

Some people may say it's bad because I'm not getting exposure to more styles of anime, but then that leads to the question of "why do you watch anime?" to which my answer is "because I enjoy it", not "because I need to study it for class" or something.

It's never "bad;" though my recommendation is to ignore anything regarding taste and such, as long as you're able to find anime that you enjoy watching. When you're no longer able to find such anime then, I believe that, is the time to broaden your anime horizons, and get a taste for the most famous and acclaimed anime of each genre. Assuming you still want to watch anime.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 20, 2017 2:40 AM

Jun 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Brb said:
"For you, the day you made a thread about elitists on MAL was a very important day in your life. But for the anime community, it was Monday."

If that post isn't ironic, there'd be so many things wrong in it that I wouldn't know where to start.
Mar 20, 2017 2:43 AM

May 2009
Brb said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

If that post isn't ironic, there'd be so many things wrong in it that I wouldn't know where to start.
I was mocking the commonness of this topic. Dunno if that counts as ironic.
Mar 20, 2017 3:15 AM

Jul 2015
An elitist is someone who doesn't like the same kind of animu i like and gives reasons why.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

28 by Ende_uraa »»
39 seconds ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

119 by Hoppy »»
9 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
24 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.