Forum Settings
Forums
Kino's Journey
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2017 12:29 PM
Jan 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Finally out, people! Seems promising so I hope it has more good chapters ahead in this new journey. Health to the mangaka and to us all, we, who are not "adults".
jimi888Mar 19, 2017 12:35 PM
Mar 20, 2017 9:19 AM

Oct 2015
I really enjoyed it, at first I didn't know what to think of the design of the original kino because I'm so use to the anime's version but I think I prefer this one. Hopefully we will get some chapters soon that weren't covered in the anime.
Mar 20, 2017 12:59 PM
Jan 2013
Btw hopefully the original character design will remain (a bit at least) on the upcoming animation...
Mar 21, 2017 2:34 AM

Mar 2015
as fucked up as ever... still feel rushed somewhat... and i don't remember this in anime (i don't even remember anything, lel)...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 21, 2017 11:43 AM
Jan 2013
@Kuma I disagree that this chapter has been hasty somewhat. Considering where the jumps occurred I found them quite appropriate. But still perhaps in this initial chapter they compressed something that can be equivalent to two or three future chapters.

That part was the fourth episode of the original anime and the first chapter of light novel after the prologue if my memory is not confused.
jimi888Mar 21, 2017 11:46 AM
Mar 21, 2017 2:07 PM
Mar 2014
LoneWolfInDaPack said:
@Kuma I disagree that this chapter has been hasty somewhat. Considering where the jumps occurred I found them quite appropriate. But still perhaps in this initial chapter they compressed something that can be equivalent to two or three future chapters.

That part was the fourth episode of the original anime and the first chapter of light novel after the prologue if my memory is not confused.

It was first in the Enlgish release. In the original novel it was the fifth story.
Mar 21, 2017 5:08 PM

Mar 2015
LoneWolfInDaPack said:

my problem is that it simply rushed... it's adaptation... the change between character and pace simply too fast to comperhand... like how kino easily get over previous kino's death...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 21, 2017 7:44 PM
Jan 2013
@Surf_rock Ty for the info. Didnt knew that.

@Kuma Now I see. You may have a point but as far I remember the thing with getting over either in the novel or the animation Kino was that tough and objective... Probably the death of the traveler was so unexpected that the trauma caused a not so obvious reaction of distress. The fact that Hermes comes alive (I believe) in that situation and even all the travels that follow may be the overcoming of it.
jimi888Mar 21, 2017 9:43 PM
Mar 22, 2017 2:52 AM
Mar 2014
Kuma said:
LoneWolfInDaPack said:

my problem is that it simply rushed... it's adaptation... the change between character and pace simply too fast to comperhand... like how kino easily get over previous kino's death...

I thought of nothing as I drove, concentrated on nothing except keeping my balance. Not of my parents, not of Kino, not of the cold, onyx eyes of the village elder. Not even of the life I'd left behind. ...

But just for an instant, I flashed back to the traveler lying there, in the yard behind our hotel, with the knife through his heart, dying. ...

"Kino," I whispered. Oddly, I was not sad. I could no longer cry. I had cried out every tear in my body and given them to the wind. But neither was I happy. I just stood there, numb.

You should just reread/rewatch it or something. Sure, i think that she's too cheerful after all that happened, but it's the general tone of this adaptation and character design (which i personally don't like and find generic), but in terms of adaptation of novel material itself it was rather good.
Surf_rockMar 22, 2017 2:58 AM
Mar 22, 2017 4:47 AM
Jan 2013
Surf_rock said:
Kuma said:

I thought of nothing as I drove, concentrated on nothing except keeping my balance. Not of my parents, not of Kino, not of the cold, onyx eyes of the village elder. Not even of the life I'd left behind. ...

But just for an instant, I flashed back to the traveler lying there, in the yard behind our hotel, with the knife through his heart, dying. ...

"Kino," I whispered. Oddly, I was not sad. I could no longer cry. I had cried out every tear in my body and given them to the wind. But neither was I happy. I just stood there, numb.

You should just reread/rewatch it or something. Sure, i think that she's too cheerful after all that happened, but it's the general tone of this adaptation and character design (which i personally don't like and find generic), but in terms of adaptation of novel material itself it was rather good.

Hmm. Ty for the info.

If Hermes only heard the names "Kino" and "Hermes" after that whisper everything makes more sense to my belief. Not sure anyway because it's circunstancial but that could be something very important that the manga left and so that part was rushed in the process.
jimi888Mar 22, 2017 5:05 AM
Mar 24, 2017 4:59 AM
Jun 2014
I like the character designs. The original and the anime character design are nice indeed, but this new design gives a more realistic feels I guess? I mean in the anime Kino looks really short compared to any other characters (I know that this is probably just me though), you could say that Kino IS a little bit short but.............motorad is pretty big if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward for this one.
Mar 24, 2017 1:24 PM
Jan 2013
Indeed. That's the character designer pattern.

Kuroboshi Kohaku (Original)

Shiomiya Iruka (New)

jimi888Mar 24, 2017 1:28 PM
Mar 24, 2017 10:13 PM

Dec 2011
In general this chapter left me a good first impression. I wasn't too keen on the prologue chapter so I'm glad to see that the manga artist has, at the very least, good technique and enough attention to detail. I noticed that a lot of people seem to be commenting on XXXXX's height. In the novels, she in fact describes herself to be the tallest among her friends.

I'm beginning to wonder what kind of aesthetic the new anime will take. I doubt it's going to look anything like the subdued style of the 2003 version. It's either the LN designs or the manga designs (either this or the other one that will get launched in May). I'm a fan of Kuroboshi's older style though so I hope they use those.
Apr 3, 2017 5:15 PM

Nov 2015
I haven't watched the anime version, so this is new to me. Was a good chapter.

Oct 8, 2022 5:58 AM

May 2021
Haven't watched or read any of the previous installments/adaptations. It was pretty good, nice art and story
Jul 14, 2023 11:22 AM

Aug 2020
Pretty good journey. Not too long, and past the first novel you can quickly put down and pick up the volumes. I enjoyed the concept immensely.

More topics from this board

» How is this compared to novel?

meyve - Oct 22, 2022

1 by misterinfoman »»
Mar 8, 2023 1:44 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Chapter 6 Discussion

Napok - Aug 8, 2017

1 by Digidydigdigdy »»
Oct 21, 2022 3:56 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Chapter 5 Discussion

Napok - Jul 30, 2017

0 by Napok »»
Jul 30, 2017 9:05 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Chapter 4 Discussion

jimi888 - Jun 20, 2017

0 by jimi888 »»
Jun 20, 2017 11:47 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World Chapter 3 Discussion

removed-user - May 17, 2017

1 by Havamug »»
May 20, 2017 8:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.