Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 18, 2017 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
The conclusion at the end gave me shivers. I even dare to say that even if the second season wouldn't have been announced, the series could had ending in that moment and I would be still satisfied.

Cannot wait for the second season in October. Thank God Shaft for decide to make a season 2.

8.5/10. Here goes my AOTS of the Fall of the last year...
Mar 18, 2017 12:45 PM

Aug 2016
Great anime, I'm really happy that there will be a second season in fall 2017!

My final score is: 8.22/10 so an 8/10!
Nanika ga Okashii
Mar 18, 2017 12:48 PM
Apr 2014
oh man already the last episode D: I want more... Guess I have to read the source for that >.>

Anyway. About the episode. Why did the teacher have that idea so late? Kiriyama had a lot to do for his shogi competitions but that's no different now. Even if they couldn't have made a new club during the school year he could have at least asked around already. Kiriyama probably wouldn't be able to find 5 people on his own anyway.

I really hope they are doing another season.
Mar 18, 2017 12:49 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nanashi said:
oh man already the last episode D: I want more... Guess I have to read the source for that >.>

Anyway. About the episode. Why did the teacher have that idea so late? Kiriyama had a lot to do for his shogi competitions but that's no different now. Even if they couldn't have made a new club during the school year he could have at least asked around already. Kiriyama probably wouldn't be able to find 5 people on his own anyway.

I really hope they are doing another season.

It's already confirmed that they do a second season this year in the fall season.
Mar 18, 2017 12:50 PM

Apr 2013
Woah, I'm impressed, this episode was a great final. Can't wait for season 2!
Mar 18, 2017 12:52 PM

Sep 2014
Had Gintama and Rakugo not been airing this season, this would've been my number one pick easily.

Really good series, and I'm so looking forward to the second season. Such a well put together series :)
Mar 18, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2014
Well that was pretty good. For a final episode though it wasn't that great until the last 10 minutes. I wish we would've seen the sisters one last time at least. I liked this show but I got really burnt out on it after around episode 15. It just felt like it was dragging on even though I was enjoying the episodes. Hopefully come Fall I'll be back in the mood to enjoy this anime to the fullest again.

7/10
Mar 18, 2017 1:36 PM

Nov 2014
I expected this last episode filled with Rei and Kawamotos. But it wasn't. Somehow I felt a bit disappointed.

However. 10/10 deserved.
Mar 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Jul 2014
The class discussion topic being why do they exclude Kiriyama was pretty funny.
Mar 18, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2016
The anime of the year for me.

So many emotions, from laugh to tears and back like it's nothing, so many amazing supporting characters, "antagonists" included, all struggling in their own way, all larger than the screen, even the animals were adding something, top notch voice acting, beautifull background shots, great opening and ending song too (the second ones) and a lovable MC with the best sisters on earth.

For me one more precious tiny little bit of happiness in this world.
Mar 18, 2017 2:02 PM
Apr 2014
Smudy said:

It's already confirmed that they do a second season this year in the fall season.

well. that's awesome! thanks for the info :D
Mar 18, 2017 2:25 PM

Feb 2013
I really liked this anime a lot. I can't wait for a Season 2 in October. They should consider a spin off story about the 3 sisters..
Mar 18, 2017 2:51 PM

Oct 2013
Powerful anime. It was beautiful to see Kiriyama's character development over the series. Can't wait for the second season.
Mar 18, 2017 3:01 PM

Dec 2012
Lovely finale episode.
Must be hard repeating a year.

Hayashida Sensei is the best suggesting a Shogi club & being the Faculty Advisor so they can still talk to each other.
Nice idea to join with the After Burners Club.

Poor Rei alone as a child. So nice he has people to talk to now.
Loved the 1st ED song playing as well as the art in the credits.

Overall a great & wonderful show. Beautiful art & animation, especially the background of the city & houses. Awesome End Cards after each episode.
Thank you Studio Shaft.
Rei is a great character. Love the Kawamoto Sisters.

So happy & excited they announced a 2nd Season for Fall 2017.
8/10.
Santoryu_XBurnerMar 18, 2017 3:10 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 18, 2017 3:49 PM

Aug 2016
Wow that whole thing with the ticket being his "lifeline," i teared up a bit. And when fighter came on at the end Q_Q

I love this anime and the finale was great. Contrasting between when he was younger, always having an empty seat beside him.... and now having a magical ticket that makes life worth living :D

Rei and his ants, sensei and first year senpai were beautiful lol. Deciding to start a club is usually what slice of life animes start off with. Followed by finding an adviser and the appropriate amount of club members lol. Thankfully starting a shogi club wasnt what 3-gatsu is about.

QUESTION: Why is rei repeating his.... second year ?? i dont even know what year was in lol. I always thought he was older and started later or something.

And it found it kiinda strange that the 3 sister were not included in the finale :P
Mar 18, 2017 3:58 PM

Feb 2015
I loved the second half! "Fighter" was such a nice segment to end on, adored it. First half simply started a shogi club (well, not exactly) and was ok. It didn't have a big impact that a final episode of many anime would, but it still pretty much worked. It was a complete shame that we didn't get to see the sisters at all in this final episode, it really seems like they should be listed as supporting characters since they've been absent from so many episodes.

The starting of a club and the fact that Rei hasn't played again the grey-haired dude who looms like Rei makes me think this really needs a second season. A strong 8/10 from me, nearly 9/10.
Mar 18, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2013
Hayashida is based. I'll rate season 1 as a 9. See y'all in October.
Mar 18, 2017 4:20 PM
Jan 2017
I loved it since the first episode. 10/10
Mar 18, 2017 4:34 PM

Jan 2008
A bit sad the sisters didn't get any sceentime for this last episode.
Mar 18, 2017 4:37 PM

May 2015
That was a nice finale - a decent way to wrap this season up and make way for the next season.

Overall, a pretty nice show. I thought it had a pretty nice balance between the competitive shogi and the slice of life aspect of this show. I will definitely watch the second season.

8/10.

Mar 18, 2017 5:00 PM

Jun 2015
Happy the last episode mostly contained what makes this series strong.

Looking forward to its next season.
Mar 18, 2017 5:18 PM

Jul 2015
wonderful anime (with some average episodes)

9,5/10

expect the second season to be a 10/10 tbh. cant wait.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Mar 18, 2017 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
Meh, pretty underwhelming episode for an ending.
Realisticly speaking whole this episode would be ten times better as half-point between the cours.

We may have got some kind of developement finally but Rei is still pretty much drowning in his self-loathing when he could even try to make his first step alone (but nope, he's just being pushed by others all the time and that didn't change). I really hate characters like these who does nothing for sake of their future (it's ok if he was like this at the beginning but he had plenty of time to change it).

All in all, this had kinda interesting (but still flawed) start but it gradualy turned into drag.
Whole show doesn't work as slice-of-life, it doesn't work as comedy either and there are too few of those heartwarming scenes with sisters. Nor there are any valuable life-lesssons, just repetition of the same theme, the same concept all over again, one step forward, two steps back.
It's sad but even those interesting elements that I liked (sisters, Kyouko etc.) were awfully scarce.

5/10 Pretty forgetable anime, in the end it didn't leave any real impact. I guess meh is the right word for it. Now move on.
Mar 18, 2017 5:32 PM

Jul 2015
Great ending. Thank fuck another season is announced.. Definitely can't wait for more
Mar 18, 2017 5:53 PM

Nov 2008
ZuzuMiBachi said:

QUESTION: Why is rei repeating his.... second year ?? i dont even know what year was in lol. I always thought he was older and started later or something.

He is not repeating his second year. You are correct in thinking that he started later (a year to be precise). His new classmates are just assuming that because "kid in our class who is a year older = failed and repeated a year" is what they immediately think and, in all fairness, is usually the case.

And before anyone asks why no one knows his actual circumstances, Shaft actually took out a line that was in Chapter 2 (so it would have been in Episode 1) that would have explained this (one of the few, if not only, things they took out in the adaptation process) -- when Hayashida and Rei first met in the teacher's lounge, the latter specifically requested not to mention being a professional shogi player to his classmates, probably thinking that people knowing the truth about him would bring him worse problems.
Mar 18, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2014
Enjoyed the last episode of the first season.
I'm really impressed how shaft dealt with the adaption kudos to them.
Found the 2nd half a little bit stronger than the first, Kai shimada made it great, he's really an awesome character.
All in all me i'm looking forward to the 2nd season, especially because the focus is going to shift to an interesting topic, and the romance mannnnn can't wait.
9/10 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Mar 18, 2017 7:22 PM

Jan 2011
I stand with relative few I'm sure but I really enjoyed maybe the first half of this show but the second half, the actual tournament, was filled with so much exposition that it became a chore, boring, and repetitive to watch week to week. I can respect the show though because it is trying to weave a very complicated situation using shogi. I do hope the second season resparks my initial interest.
Mar 18, 2017 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
Good final episode, with the closing monologue being great as they always are.
Thankfully there's another season since so much is left to be resolved.
Mar 18, 2017 8:20 PM

Feb 2017
One of the things this anime explored in earnest was how alienation affected Kiriyama Rei. This incredible bright teenager experienced terrible hardships during his childhood and as a consequence, everyone and everything seemed to create a wall around him with the purpose to keep him inside, separated from others. And that's exactly what happened for many years, until Rei reached the point were his life changed for good.

The moment he met the Kawamoto sisters was the very moment light started to shine again in his everyday life. And along with the sisters, a number of characters made their way into Rei's path. He was not alone anymore. But that change was hard to swallow. Rei kept underwater for a while, drowning with his own self-pity. And very slowly --and very painfully-- he started to accept that shogi wasn't a lie anymore, for in shogi he found some very good friends; he also learned how to open up his heart again to the warmth of a house and a family that truly cared for him.

3-gatsu no Lion was a beautiful story of how Rei got to grow into a finer and warmer human being. The animation was pretty good, quite artistic, and the music (soundtrack, opening and ending sequences) was really enjoyable. There is nothing I didn't like, even the antagonists were great. I'll wait with great expectations a new season in the future.
Mar 18, 2017 8:33 PM

Nov 2015
I'm thrilled that this show is getting a second season, and I knew that, no matter what, this season wouldn't have had a nicely wrapped-up final episode in any event.......BUT. Having this final episode and not even including the sisters is a huge disappointment. What happened after that final bit in episode 21??? It looked like a big deal, especially with Hina, and then it just disappears.

I thought this was a pretty weak ending. I love the story but I think this episode was flat out dull.
Mar 18, 2017 8:42 PM

Apr 2010
not even a glimpse of the sisters in the final episode?? wth?! It's a good final episode but not including the sisters just makes me feel somewhat incomplete.. why?!
Mar 18, 2017 8:53 PM

Mar 2016
To people complaining about not having Kawamoto sisters:

Um, you guy do realize that the story is about Rei's character development and interaction with others, right? The Kawamoto sisters are just some of the many people that are involved in Rei's story
No seriously.
Mar 18, 2017 9:26 PM

Dec 2016
I wish they would have ended with the Western Sun chapter instead of Fighter. It would have been a much better ending IMO -
there was a great sense of closure in Western Sun and it kind of featured the three sisters......
I had been kinda looking forward to that as the series finale ~~

but maybe we'll get that chapter in fall =)
-- ----- / -
s:mk:n
Mar 18, 2017 10:02 PM

Aug 2013
I can't say it hit me as hard as 21 or some of the prior episodes, but it was a satisfying send-off nonetheless!

Now, to wait for six months... I'm going to miss this show.
Mar 18, 2017 11:16 PM

Jun 2013
Need to see this Kyouko plot line resolved...that remains the most interesting part of this story to me.
Mar 19, 2017 1:44 AM

May 2013
from I remember, the manga version has more heavy gloomy atmosphere that almost hard to read, but shaft adapting this more easily to watch without leaving the gloomy part.

nice finale. fighter chapter is one of chapters that I'm really liked.
Mar 19, 2017 2:24 AM

Jul 2014
While this didn't quite end how I had expected, I can't really complain too much about this as a final episode. After all, it provided closure to finish off this season while also leaving things wide open for the second season in October.

Overall, while this show definitely had a few dud episodes, it was still a very enjoyable ride that I'm eager to see more of, so October can't come soon enough.

9/10
Mar 19, 2017 3:59 AM

Mar 2016
And once again, an amazing episode. Loved the finale :D Rei starting a new term. It was hilarious and sad at the same time how he was imagining talking to the new students. LOL'd when they started calling Shogi an old man's game and Rei left the class xD Hayashida once again proving to be the best teacher anyone could have ^_^ Kinda funny how he ruined that nice moment tho haha xD

2nd part was just as good. Rei really had a tough life. Was nice to see him overcome that ^_^ Almost teared up in that scene about his lifeline ticket.
Kinda wish we got see the sisters tho but I guess it's fine.

Sad to see this series end but I'm glad we got an announcement for S2. Great news :D
This has been an amazing series from the very beginning. Was considering reading the manga but since we've got a S2 announcement, I'll wait xD
10/10
RyunuosukeMar 19, 2017 4:04 AM

Mar 19, 2017 4:19 AM

Mar 2015
Loved this show, can't wait for the 2nd season. Solid manga adaption too. 9/10 at least, pondering whether to give it a 10...
Mar 19, 2017 5:14 AM

Feb 2014
A nice final episode to wrap up this series.

Although it lacked the Kawamoto sisters, the episode did a fine job in showing how far Kiriyama has come as a person. Thanks to his excellent teacher, Hayashida, he's now part of the Shogi Science club.

The second half was simply titled 'fighter' and it showed how Kiriyama went through on a class trip in grade school, as well as his early budding career as a shogi player, with his ticket being able to play different variety of opponents across the table, so that he wouldn't be alone.

Then they played Bump of Chicken's Fighter song and it wrapped up the whole episode perfectly. =)

Overall, March Comes In Like A Lion was simply superb. From the warm and inviting Kawamoto sisters to the more darker characters like Gotou and Kyouko, the vast majority of the cast were well written and made each story arc engaging and interesting.

Shaft did a wonderful job with the pastel coloured visuals and also did a very good job on the animation front too. Soundtrack was also great and so is both OP and ED songs as well.

9/10 is my final score and I'm really happy that there is a second season coming later in October. Looking forward to it! =D
Mar 19, 2017 5:30 AM

Sep 2015
As a finale I found this slightly unsatisfying. Barely any time was spent with characters other than Kiriyama and the teacher. As a layover to another season I found it much more reasonable. Future events are set up, we see Rei is redoing a school year. And he and Nikaidou continue to be rivals. He's better suited but they're both trying to move up soon. Plus Rei and sensei start a shogi club to help Rei make friends. I don't know this was an episode very full of possibility. It didn't feel like a goodbye and I hope it's not. I would easily watch another series of this.

The second half of the episode felt particularly frustrating for anyone looking for a sense of finality. It was mostly a flashback and a flashback that didn't add very much to our understanding of Rei. I did like the explanation they gave for why he liked shogi. As someone who was always rejected at school, shogi competitions were the one place other people had to accept him. I get what they were going for and I thought it was cool. Just wish it hadn't taken up most of the final episode. All in all I give this series a 9/10. I didn't always get the humor and it occasionally was a little too melodramatic to me. But it had typically fantastic Shaft animation and music. And it told an emotionally engaging and humorous story that depicted playing shogi in interesting and even exciting ways. Big fan of this one, really hope we get more.
Mar 19, 2017 5:43 AM

Mar 2017
It was amazing episode and I'm waiting for 2nd season in the next fall
Mar 19, 2017 6:10 AM

Dec 2013
This is one show that definitely deserves the second season, so I'm so glad that they announced it.

Though to be fair the way then ended this on the Shogi Galaxy Express, that in itself could have also been considered a decent ending to the show in itself. Love the fact that Rei finally realizes and acknowledges that he isn't alone in the world, and that there are plenty of people along with him in his walk through life.

Again, I'm so glad season 2's already been announced. Cannot wait for more Momo chan!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 19, 2017 7:18 AM

Aug 2010
I find the strongest point of the series the interaction between Rei and the sisters. Also the conflict with Kyoko. The show started out as the best of the season but wasn't too fond of the second half.

Overall a 7/10.
Mar 19, 2017 7:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was an odd way to end the season? No family stuff?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 19, 2017 7:43 AM

May 2009
U1111 said:
x3mslayer said:
Good show. Meek final episode. Hoping for second season!

Already announced, Fall 2017.

Thanks for the info. I realized soon after writing my comment, didn't wanna bother editing it xD It expresses my wishes for it.
Mar 19, 2017 8:37 AM

Jul 2011
Give that teacher a medal ffs! he's the only one keeping Rei's school life bearable and now even enjoyable. I really love him, best teacher ever.
Missed the sisters in this last chapter, btw :C

Now the question is, read the manga or wait for the second season? aaah this choice is always hard for me.
Mar 19, 2017 9:19 AM

Feb 2014
-Ronin said:
Give that teacher a medal ffs! he's the only one keeping Rei's school life bearable and now even enjoyable. I really love him, best teacher ever.
Missed the sisters in this last chapter, btw :C

Now the question is, read the manga or wait for the second season? aaah this choice is always hard for me.

Same here. Hashida-sensei makes it worth the watch.
Can't wait for season 2!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 19, 2017 9:32 AM
Mar 2015
It was wonderful to see the Galactic Express from Bump of Chicken's 3 Gatsu no Lion video used in the end It really showed how Rei now sees the Shogi community with the Meijin now occupying the seat beside him that no one else would sit in Also we finally get an explanation of the constant flashback in the manga that we saw whenever Rei remembered being bullied
Mar 19, 2017 11:32 AM

Aug 2010
Don't worry about the sisters not being in the last episode for this season, Hina has a big arc upcoming.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.