Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 18, 2017 6:31 PM
Jan 2008
Damn. Still fucking crying....

It was pretty obvious from the start that Kiku would pass this season...I mean the OP spells it out. But this episode was done beautifully from the start and the last five minutes made me sob.

Looks like last episode will focus on teenage Shinchan and I"m assuming the girl with him is Yota's kid with Konatsu...
Mar 18, 2017 11:16 PM

May 2015
it's not the episode that make me sad, it's the amount of people in MAL that "lose enjoyment" over 1 episodes like this. truly sad...
NEET Dood
Mar 19, 2017 12:37 AM

Aug 2013
"As they say, there's nothing as good for you as onions"

Have to agree, season 2 of Rakugo had chopped onions in almost every episode.

How I missed Yamadera amazing performances. R.I.P Matsuda san!!
Mar 19, 2017 2:29 AM

Oct 2013
What a way to end it all for Yakumo's story, beautiful episode.

Mar 19, 2017 5:38 AM

Feb 2008
After having finished watching the episode, minutes later, I am still weeping, in silence. At the same time, I cannot wipe this smug smile off my face. Who knew afterlife would be this enthralling? In the Buddhist context, however, it makes perfect sense. The rakugo performances were particularly enchanting.

The final episode's preview intrigued me. I guess another timeskip is at hand. I almost cannot contain my excitement.
Mar 19, 2017 10:52 AM

May 2015
Master you have good life. Take care :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 19, 2017 11:31 AM

Mar 2013
Whoa whoa whoa whoa! The episode left me awestruck!

Tbh I thought it wasn't really an afterlife and I was expecting Kikuhiko to wake up in real world at any moment. But turns out, he really passed away happily this time.

Seeing Sukeroku, Miyokichi and Kikuhiko at their prime again filled me with nostalgia :')
The calm and soothing soundtrack accompanied by good dialogues and appealing scenery made the episode literally heavenly haha.
It was delight to see Sukeroku and Miyokichi leaving behind the old regrets and moving on in their afterlives. Seriously, Miyokichi looked pretty this episode. And so did our handsome Kikuhiko :p

Needles to say, the ending moments of episode were really emotional. Won't deny that I got tearful after seeing Sukeroku crying. Couldn't hold it in when they made a pinky promise to see each other again while parting ways. It was sad but beautiful at the same time :')
The twist with Matsuda-san at the end was funny and surprising though :D
FinalFlash18Mar 19, 2017 11:35 AM
Mar 19, 2017 12:22 PM

Jan 2015
Almost cried at the end when I saw Matsuda...

Great episode, loved everything about it
Mar 19, 2017 5:09 PM
Sep 2015
why the fuck did they implement afterlife in this title? didnt it ruins the whole concept of death? whats even the point in kikus death, if he still gonna manage to tell rakugo, but in a different world? his death even solves his health problems. thankfully, his death brings him to the point, when he can tell rakugo like never b4, what an irony. at least sukerokus rakugo this ep was sort of awesome
this title is over by 10th ep, right with kikus death, this ep is just sweet farewell and next is post scriptum
ClearPageMar 20, 2017 6:38 AM
Mar 19, 2017 7:55 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly, I don't know how I feel.. For some reason it doesn't feel real

Wasn't expecting a next episode. Glad to see one
Mar 20, 2017 3:25 AM
Jan 2016
the entire episode felt like the most bittersweet walk own memory lane ;; i won't be over kiku's death for a long time even tho i saw it coming but i love him so much i kept trying to deny :((

overall the closure was so nostalgic, wholesome and on a whole new level of emotional. i couldn't be happier to hear more of the real sukeroku and listen to his rakugo again I've always loved his stories.

the boat scene had me in actual tears i'm not even exaggerating and not many shows can do that to me!!

all of that being said the voice acting in this show is awards worthy the entire cast has probably done their best job in this work specifically.

a masterful show that is already my anime of the year (years) it's staying with me for a long time ;; i'm gonna miss its main characters that I've developed a serious sense of connection with watching them grow and will not be anywhere over this masterpiece anytime soon.
Mar 20, 2017 4:30 AM

Dec 2013
Absolutely brilliant episode. It's so great seeing Bon/Shin together again!

That ending brought me to tears ;_;
Mar 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
OMG!!! This episode was so perfect, so beautiful, I nearly cried. And next week we will se Konatsu's children as teenegers? Holy shit, I just can't get enough of this masterpiece. *-*
Mar 23, 2017 11:48 AM

Jul 2009
This episode was beautiful and sad!!! I am sad Yakumo is dead but it was nice that he could meet the old friends again and the end, when Matsuda was the one in the boat, it almost made me cry!
Mar 23, 2017 10:00 PM

Nov 2007
All my tear-ducts gave away. All of them. I cannot stop crying. What a beautiful episode. At least we know he found peace. Even Matsuda joined him, the person who followed him throughout his entire life. T_T

Kikuhiko gave his entire life carrying the sin he never committed. All the while taking care of Konatsu and Rakugo. Both became his reasons to continue living on. Konatsu who gave him the real happiness made him find peace before he left the world. T_T

Miyokichi looked as beautiful as ever. It hurts so much when I think she gave up on a broken heart and did something that ruined the lives of so many people. T_T

The final moment between Shin and Bon was so endearing. I cannot bring myself to even think the way they had to part ways when they were living and after they were not. It's too cruel. The pinky promise was so touching. T_T

This has been one of the most amazing experiences in my life being an anime fan. Truly at the pinnacle of masterfully telling a story from the start to the end.

Next up is yet another time-skip and we will see Shin-chan and his sister. I am looking forward to know her name the most. This episode touched upon the naming of a child after all...

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 24, 2017 3:54 AM

Oct 2012
God this episode got me thinking about life and death, and what it's like getting old. Damn. Beautiful.
Mar 24, 2017 4:28 PM

Oct 2012
I absolutely loved what they did there, minimalizing drama and showing end of his life positively. Miyokichi and Sukeroku appearance was brilliant and so was the dreams/presence of both Konatsu and her child.

Passing of time in terms of changing seasons/snow was also good thing to do instead of boring time skip.
Even Matsuda's appearance on the final ship was very subtle way of telling the necessary.

Now the only thing we need to be shown is the end of Shouwa era, Konatsu's second child and grown-up Shin doing Rakugo like his grandad.
Mar 25, 2017 1:28 AM

Oct 2012
RIP Yakumo or should I say Kiku-san?
He was happy and that's all that matters
But why can't I stop these feelings from flowing (-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩___-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩)
"Signature removed"
Mar 30, 2017 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
I knew it. He died. I also knew it, that evil shinigami at the theater wasn't Sukeroku.

Sukeroku and Yakumo as kids again in the afterlife. They make the afterlife look so fun lol Sukeroku's still sponging off him even in the afterlife.

They are all reunited: Yakumo, Sukeroku and Miyokichi. I know it's supposed to be sad but I think it's sweet and touching. Also the rakugo theater that burned down also moved on into the afterlife lol

I missed Sukeroku's rakugo performance.

That ending made me tear up. Matsuda-san followed Yakumo to the very end. It would have been nice if they all went together but Sukeroku can't afford it lol Still, that ending wrenched my heart.
臭い-
Apr 4, 2017 5:57 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic and best episode of the season.
Handled the after life brilliantly and elegantly.
Apr 8, 2017 9:16 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The best and sad episode of this season!!1 Bon died and way to the "sky" find Sukeroku, Yakumo and Matsuda ; _ ;
Imposssible don´t cry , and impossible don´t enjoy with the rakugo of both ;)
Apr 22, 2017 12:57 AM
Nov 2015
This shames many of noitaminA shows of the past 5 years
Apr 24, 2017 8:18 PM

May 2012
What a bittersweet yet impressive as hell episode! Really loved it I must say and I really do wonder what the last episode has to offer from this fantastic anime!
Jul 5, 2017 2:35 AM

Mar 2015
Hmm I felt that this was closure somewhat. And it looks like they'll have enough time to tie everything up in the next episode.. another timeskip? That looks like Shin grown up!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 16, 2017 9:08 PM

Mar 2012
This was the episode I was waiting for since the end of the first season, made it worth watching all the others just to get that closure.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 1, 2017 1:44 PM

Apr 2015
So Kikuhiko really is dead. That's...a bit of a disappointment, considering he had just made Konatsu his apprentice. Guess she's going to have to learn rakugo on her own.

Miyokichi (who I've referred to in episode discussions up to this point as the "crazy geisha bitch") does seem a bit remorseful for her past actions. I can almost forgive her.

This episode almost made me a Buddhist. The afterlife looks like a nice place.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 3, 2017 7:14 PM

Sep 2011
This is one of the most perfect send off to a character and by extension series I have ever seen, this so perfectly ties together the entire journey that was this series and does it in such a way I really cant recall experiencing before. I've never felt so happy and at the same time so sad as this episode made me feel, Kiku finally being able to tackle his life long regrets and enjoy himself to the fullest with the people he cares about before moving on is so, for a lack of a less pretentious word, poetic.

This episode alone bumps the series up to a 10

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 18, 2017 10:27 AM

Mar 2014
Wow that was an amazing episode. S2 was not really as interesting to me as S1 but these last few eps have been nothing short of amazing in terms of character development. Kiku gets to see Shin and Miyokichi, enjoy their company and finally be free of the burden he was carrying, even though he hadn't sinned... The drama is minimalized in the afterlife, everyone has reconciled and left their regrets and guilt behind. Peaceful, fantastic. I really enjoyed the series' concept of afterlife. And that last scene with the boat, Shin and Kiku promising to meet each other again was so emotional and bittersweet T_T
Oct 25, 2017 3:33 PM

Apr 2014
I think this episode was great closure for Bon/Kiku/Yakumo. I really liked this episode.
your waifu is shit
Nov 3, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2012
The build-up to the final scene was masterfully done. From being able to watch Sukeroku perform rakugo again, the transition into manga panels, Yakumo performing Jugemu for Shin-bo, the farewell between Bon and Shin, and to top it all off, Matsuda was rowing the boat. I cried ;__;
Dec 30, 2017 10:45 AM

Sep 2010
What do you know... this year had a absolute greatness series after all.
Apr 2, 2018 3:34 AM

Feb 2013
I like how vague this episode was. People triggered by seeing afterlife in such a realistic show can simply interpret this episode as a figment of Kiku´s imagination. Something like life flashing before his eyes type of thing or the last dream before death. The episode definitely allows this sort of interpretation. Especially if we consider that they used an unreliable narrator before.

Gotta concur with one of the previous commenters, this did not make me cry, rather it made me satisfied and content. Also had a grin on my face for most of the episode.
Oct 24, 2018 1:52 PM

Feb 2018
I see that I am in the minority her of not liking the episode at all. Felt unnecessary and unemotional. After a couple of last amazing episodes, this was a real letdown.
Jan 6, 2019 12:01 AM

May 2016
The amount of feelings are unimaginable, they way the handled the after life is just perfect they captured every single aspects of it in a really great way.

Shin bo looks as cheerful as ever and broke af like always haha.
Jan 16, 2019 9:25 AM

Aug 2009
This was a great episode. I'm not the biggest fan of the supernatural aspect though. I would have preferred they give a more realistic closure to Kiku's arc.

But ignoring that personal preference, this episode was still handled beautifully. The pinky swear scene got me good.
Apr 18, 2019 2:33 AM

Feb 2013
This was too damn sad :(
Jun 11, 2019 2:23 PM

Sep 2017
This could have been the last episode and I would have been satisfied. This was a perfect conclusion to Yakumo/Bon/Kikuhiko's character arc. On an artistic level, this episode was masterfully directed. We got to see Yakumo live his entire life again, from being a child, playing with his friend, to being a young adult, taking a bath and finally going to Yoshiwara, to lastly performing rakugo at his prime as an elder. Each of these phases of life were perfectly represented as they were in the previous episodes, and it added yet another layer to Yakumo's character. Yakumo acknowledging Shinnosuke as the person he wished to see his rakugo the most was so heartwarming, as was his last rakugo performance being Shinnosuke's favorite piece "Jugemu." The pinky swear scene was beautiful. A fantastic episode.
Jun 12, 2019 2:29 PM

Jun 2015
This episode made me laugh so hard and made me cry so hard it was brilliant
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 21, 2019 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
Such a great take on sending off a person to the afterlife. I'm really at a loss for words right now.

This was yet another episode that overwhelmed me with feels, especially the last minutes killed me ;_;

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 22, 2020 3:17 AM
Apr 2016
So he actually died? A very happy depiction of the afterlife, oh well.
Apr 5, 2020 10:18 AM

Aug 2011
I truly enjoyed this episode and this series as a whole. Seeing Sukeroku and Yakumo together brought a tear to my eye (just one); those two needed to have closure, and I feel it was done splendidly in this episode.

Miyokichi, I'm still upset with her (I'm petty like that), but I see death gave her a new perspective on what was/is important in life. Not sure if it was her or Sukeroku who conjured the image of Konatsu, but it was well worth seeing. And, not to mention, Yakumo conjuring Shunnoske as the person he wanted to see most on that cushion; that was epic.

On to the last episode...
Jun 22, 2020 8:35 AM

Mar 2019
Ok probably my favorite episode from the whole anime(s1 included). I love Sukeroku and I like Miyo.So the reunion was the best thing that could happen for me in this anime.It's sad and it doesn't make sense.I mean, Bon could have just waited for Sukeroku, I don't understand why he had to go.But yea SUKEROKU!!
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 26, 2020 1:46 PM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying!!!

Aug 8, 2020 2:59 PM

Jul 2016
This is my favorite episode of this season. It had the charm of the first season that wasn't always present in the episodes before.
Sep 4, 2020 4:41 AM
Feb 2018
Teared up there at the end. What an ending to this story of these 2 men and Matsusa dying too, oh no. I think this S2 deserve a 9 from me because of his consistent it was and just how will it wrapped up the story and how well it did Bon's final chapter of his life.
Jan 7, 2021 6:42 AM

Jul 2017
Wasn't into it that much, didn't really feel that emotional or captivating to me seeing Kikuhiko reflect on his life like that with meeting Sukeroku and Miyokichi before he passed on to the afterlife since there wasn't too much closure actually required for me with how he left beforehand. I felt like despite this episode could just be a part of Kikuhiko's imagination before he actually passed on for good, the Konatsu conversation felt like the only major part that needed closure with the Yakumo and that was done in the previous episode so this just felt like 20 minutes of well-directed but ineffective and flat content for me. The visual metaphors of him drifting to the afterlife was outstanding, the music was so surreal and peaceful to fit the afterlife tone well, but if only the story didn't just try to send him there a few times beforehand and didn't already have closure before this one, I would have been a lot more invested in this episode. Mixed bag.
Jan 31, 2021 5:14 AM
Jun 2020
I had at least thought they would be able to spend their days together in the afterlife, given how premature Shin-san's death was, and they were separated even way before then too... Is just heart-wrenching to see them separated again.

But this whole episode isn't exactly a depiction of the afterlife, afterlife phase is after one crosses the Sanzu river, where they will go through a round of judgements by the different kings of the underworld.
The period before the crossing the Sanzu river, is a place between our world and the underworld, but yet doesn't belong to any. But well, there's a lot of different takes on Buddhism, though the general teachings are the same, there are small differences everywhere. And those that are not able to cross the river are like wandering souls, in the vague version of the Buddhism that I know, they can certainly still visit the world of the living as they have not moved on to the afterlife (Like Shin-san visited Kiku several times before, though in Shin-san case he can only go over if the Shinigami brings him).
And Konatsu, grandson Shinousuke, and Matsuda san's appearance weren't fantasies. They were able to appear there through their dreams. Dreams are like the pathway to the other dimension/ world (At least that's how it is seen as in many parts of Asia).
But even though this place is not of the underworld, the author's take on it is beautiful, with what seemed like an eternal festival (with the food stalls and the masks and other festivities), and the Geisha district from the past. Seemed like the final experience of the world you once belonged to (or missed ?).

I am not sure why there are people who don't really fancy this episode because they feel that this episode doesn't sit well with the realism the show supposedly revolves around. I thought the show revolves around the traditional arts (Rakugo specifically), and culture, and of course both the harmony and conflict of meshing the past and the ever-changing current times. Buddhism is very much a large part of Japan's culture as is Rakugo, anime, etc.

I thought this episode added a nice touch to the story by portraying the closure of the intertwined fates of Shin-san, Kiku, Miyokichi, Konatsu, Matsuda, and grandson Shinouuske, in the form of the Buddhism beliefs.

Mar 20, 2021 5:57 AM

Mar 2018
Being more into supernatural side of anime, this really hit all the right notes for me while also being filled with great emotion

This season felt slightly lesser than the first one at the half way mark, but at this point, it's sitting right next to it if not higher than the first now in terms of score.
Apr 21, 2021 2:36 AM
Dec 2020
daaaaaamn
I held strong even through the pinky swear scene and then Matsuda happened

Heatwarming and heartbreaking at the same time
Beautifully done
Jan 5, 2022 3:35 AM

Nov 2020
😭😭😭😭😭
Who is here crying their eyes out? Man what an emotion packed episode!
I really liked the way they showed off Yakumo's passing into the afterlife🥺 He got to say his farewell to Sukeroku and Miyokichi san❤

I wished they showed us his passing away in the real life? even though it would have been sad as hell!😢😥But I still wanted to see it..

Marvelous job done by voice actor Ishida san! Hats off to you🙌🙌🙌 You have made Kiku/Yakumo a character I won't ever forget!
---- Life is nothing but goodbyes ----

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who is the father of Konatsu's first child? *SPOIER?* ( 1 2 )

OGOTAKU - Mar 12, 2017

67 by Maahir97 »»
Yesterday, 12:04 PM

» Bit surprised to see s2 rated higher than s1

Korppi - Aug 9, 2017

11 by Pursueth »»
Feb 26, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

67 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

118 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:04 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

299 by JulianR »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.