Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 17, 2017 4:48 PM

May 2015
I don't know whether I should feel a sense of closure or feel depressed after this episode, ugh.

I'm really not ready for the finale....
ReverberateMar 17, 2017 4:52 PM

Mar 17, 2017 5:16 PM

Sep 2014
The last scene gave me heavy feels :'( Just so many emotions were running through my head this episode.

The Sukeroku and Yakumo moment was already beautiful in itself. Then Matsuda shows up to give Yakumo a ride for the last time, oh so great! :)

Next episode is next weak, not sure if I'm ready. Although I'm looking forward to seeing the kids all grown up.
Mar 17, 2017 6:08 PM

Jan 2011
Wow. Just wow. Out of all the great things this series has brought us, one thing I will always remember is the absolute stellar collection of voice talent.

Anyway, nearly had me tear up in the end. This season did not disappoint. Epilogue next week and then the book closes on a really great show that no one expected to be this good.
Mar 17, 2017 6:20 PM

Apr 2009
That was a good, emotional episode, but it felt a bit too much supernatural-y for my tastes.

I definitely prefer the more grounded portrayal of ghosts (In which they looked more like manifestations of Yakumo's regret and guilt more than anything) the anime used before this episode.

Mar 17, 2017 6:25 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Another 10/10 episode.....I honestly can't say anything that anyone hasn't already said in this thread but man this was so satisfying to see Bon meet Sukeroku and Miyokichi again

RIP Matsusa-san and RIP Bon....You both along with Sukeroku and Miyokichi will forever be in my heart and the hearts of others

And going from the PV, I'm guessing that the guy was Shin and that Yotaro and Konatsu ended up having a cute little girl :'')
Mar 17, 2017 7:28 PM

Apr 2015
Well, i guess thats one way to ruin otherwise decent show.
Mar 17, 2017 8:35 PM

Dec 2014
this episode was so overwhelming... I liked how they cleared all the unsaid feelings....
the last episode is a prologue....Aaah gives you sort of a satisfied feeling
Mar 17, 2017 8:52 PM
Aug 2014
I started crying when Sukeroku started crying at the end, and seeing Matsuda-san made it worse.
Mar 17, 2017 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
So she threatened him to kill herself then tripped and fell... and accidentally stabbed him... O__O
My Candies:

Bonus candies:
Mar 17, 2017 9:32 PM

May 2013
Brilliant episode, I just have a question: why did Sukeroku stay behind in limbo? Wasn't he able to move on, after seeing Bon having closure?
Mar 17, 2017 10:37 PM
May 2013
So Miyokichi's stabbing of Sukeroku was really accidental, merely tripping while brandishing the knife (kind of comedic if it hadn't ended with their tragic deaths), threatening her own suicide (without any real intent, either). Good to know she wasn't really hateful. I can understand her frustration with her life then. Being rejected by the man she had loved; Sukeroku , while kind and loving, being an irresponsible father/husband; her child showing her hatred for her, even if she by her own actions, had brought much of this unhappiness upon herself. Had she and Sukeroku survived the fall, or had Sukeroku recovered from the stab wound, their lives would have played out much like what was shown this episode -a mellowed Miyokichi loving her husband (but always needing to nag at him lol) and their child, letting go of her obsession with Kiku, just idolising him in a harmless manner. But, that would be such a mediocre story, not the Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu that has enthralled us. Still, glad to see the what-might-have-been, or that they are both not suffering in this limbo existence. Good luck, Miyo, on making enough money speedily to take both yourself and the lovable bum to join Kiku! lol

Very enjoyable and satisfying episode. Glad Kiku (my favourite character)'s end is not heart-wrenching/tragic. My tears fell, though, along with the first drops of Sukeroku's during his send-off of Kiku. No two people can be so different yet have such a strong bond. Also good to see Matsuda accompanying Kiku. The man was so dedicated and practically only lived for his master and was happy to do so. He would feel so empty without Kiku to care for.

Kiku didn't live to officially take Konatsu as his pupil , but she has already learnt much, if not everything from him, having lived with and watched him all those years. All she really needed was his blessings, which she received when he agreed to do so.

Time-skipped Shin-chan looked so much like the young Kiku. I don't, even for one moment, think he's Kiku's though. It's just his demeanour. Having Kiku's influence throughout much of his childhood probably contributed to it.
Mar 17, 2017 10:38 PM

Jun 2008
ph4zoN said:
Brilliant episode, I just have a question: why did Sukeroku stay behind in limbo? Wasn't he able to move on, after seeing Bon having closure?

Anyone who dies of an unnatural death AKA not dying of old age won't have a lot of money to cover the cost to "Move-on"

I don't know anything about Japanese Buddhism, but I'm just saying what I see. :P

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Mar 17, 2017 10:57 PM

Jun 2010
I kid you not when I say I can't stop crying. I'm sad Kiku died, but at least was in peace and had no regrets.
Mar 17, 2017 11:20 PM

Aug 2008
What a beautiful episode. Kiku die, but in a very peaceful way.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 18, 2017 12:05 AM

Oct 2014
Kiku performs with his "Eight Generation" outlook because it was trult his golden age of Rakugo. And out of any story, he chose Jugemu after he knows that Shin-chan is watching, too. Not the best episode indeed, but it's still a good closure for Kiku's relationship with Sukeroku and Miyokichi.
"Whenever you fail at something, always remember that you won't fail as much as Usagi Drop did."
Mar 18, 2017 12:50 AM

Jul 2011
Rather than getting teary and sad, I had this dumb grin on me the whole time. Wow, what a mood swing from the two weeks before.

Am I emotionally ready for this series to come to an end?? D;
Mar 18, 2017 1:18 AM
Nov 2015
What an amazing episode, i guess im not going to see a family performance that ive been harping on about in previous episode discussions but i honestly dont care with with this episode.

I think while Yakumo who's influence has been huge he doesn't need to linger in limbo, Sukeroku & Miyokichi on the other hand still need to leave something for their daughter that they never had a chance to give her. It'll most likely never be told what it is but doesnt matter.

That send off with Sukeroku had me teary, then Matsudo-san appears? What a way to bring the water works
Mar 18, 2017 1:45 AM

Nov 2014
completely retarded, utterly destroyed any shred of realism this show had remaining. I can only take so much when it comes to bs fantasies like these and their dumb plot conveniences
was seriously enjoying it all until this episode, now the whole season is ruined for me
Mar 18, 2017 1:48 AM

Jun 2014
So he truly did die, it's been hinted at this whole season but it's still kind of difficult to accept. At least he was at peace when he died. It was nice to see Bon interact and spend time with Sukeroku and Miyokichi before moving on, and damn those last few minutes had me teary-eyed. I really don't want this to end :(
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 18, 2017 3:20 AM

Jan 2011
Damn, what a send off.

Rather than an actual afterlife I had the feeling it was more his dying dream where he could finally come to terms with everything after dying peacefully in his sleep. I was half expecting there to be a point where he woke up.
ReaperCreeperMar 18, 2017 3:25 AM
Mar 18, 2017 3:53 AM

Dec 2015
Nice episode. Even though it seems he finally died (first I thought he was only dreaming) it wasn't sad. It was a happy mood with him meeting Sukeroku and Miyokichi again. And even Matsuda joined him.

Next episode it seems will be some years later. In the preview the 2 chars eemed like Shinnosuke grown up and the girl probably his sister (same hair color as Konatsu ... so I guess she's the child of Yotaro and Konatsu).

They'll probably talk about Yakumo - and he'll tell her (she didn't get to know him) about him.
Mar 18, 2017 5:13 AM

Apr 2016
The after life in Japan looks fun. Prostitutes and even theater are going there, looks like there's enough for your entertainment, I hope they have mangas and animes too :)

It strucked me how I love Miyokichi's voice (when she's nice). It goes up and down with a lot of intonations. It's like she's singing. I noticed the Seiyuu did Faye's role from Cowboy Bebop? I didn't remember her voice from it. It probably depends on the role. She shines here. I missed Sukeroku's voice too.

Great episode.
Mar 18, 2017 6:59 AM
Feb 2012
Nem said:
completely retarded, utterly destroyed any shred of realism this show had remaining. I can only take so much when it comes to bs fantasies like these and their dumb plot conveniences
was seriously enjoying it all until this episode, now the whole season is ruined for me

I'm wondering why this so-called lack of realism is affecting some people so much. He died and this was the author's portrayal of the afterlife. Is that what bothers you so much, that it decided to show this or what? What would've been a realistic take into Yakumos death? Everyone crying by his deathbed? People inYakumos life more or less made peace with him and it's not like they didn't know he was going to die sooner or later after seeing him collapse in the theater that one time. Retarded plot convinces where?
ahneemeMar 18, 2017 7:14 AM
Mar 18, 2017 7:38 AM

May 2013
kaimax said:

Anyone who dies of an unnatural death AKA not dying of old age won't have a lot of money to cover the cost to "Move-on"

I don't know anything about Japanese Buddhism, but I'm just saying what I see. :P

Ahh that makes sense, I thought he was joking about the money thing.
Mar 18, 2017 8:16 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I mean, it wouldnt have been bad if they'd do the usual ''He dies and people cry around his deathbed + funeral'' but im really glad they did this instead.
I smiled, laughed and shed some tears, this episode was amazing and beautiful.
I'm gonna be really sad when the anime end.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 18, 2017 8:41 AM

Oct 2014
I'm not usually very keen on afterlife stuff or when they confirm the existence of a god, but this was just so well done. Somber, yet joyous, for everyone was reunited and their past transgressions sorted out. It didn't feel corny or overblown at all, it was just perfect.
Mar 18, 2017 12:29 PM

Mar 2008
Didn't like the episode. It wasn't bad per se, but last episode was pretty much one of my favorite anime episodes of all time.

What I wanted to see was Kiku seeing Konatsu performing and then dying peacefully, having overcome the ghosts of his past. Or even him going back to do Rakugo before dying, Imagine a family show with Konatsu, Yota and Kiku. That would've been totally awesome.

What I got was pretty much just a reason to bring back Hatsu and Miyo to the anime. The episode itself wasn't bad, but the last episodes pretty much shown a Kiku that had already made peace with his past, so everything that happened in this episode was kinda pointless.

The only things we learned were that Miyo was actually trying to kill herself (even if she didn't plan to go all the way), stabbing Hatsu unwillingly and that she really liked Konatsu and wanted to be a better mother and wife. But all that could've been done quicker and easily in a short scene instead of a whole episode for all that.

I like the characters of the past very much and I loved the 1st season, but the whole Yota arc pretty much directed my feelings to the future of the story, not the past. People made peace with their pasts and with each other, and now I wanted to see the future of Rakugo, with Konatsu performing and Sensei's works being used.

This kind of farewell to the old characters could very have been done in an extra episode to sell more BD. Anyways, it's the manga author's fault, not the anime's.
Mar 18, 2017 2:06 PM

Jan 2016
Wow. People have been calling previous episodes "best one yet," but I think this will take the cake. Yakumo finally has solace after he dies thanks to Sukeroku and Miyokichi. The afterlife is also a really interesting place. Really interested in how the final episode will wrap everything up.
I'm just confused by the whole concept of scoring by "Writing and characters." If you're not entertained, why should you care?
Mar 18, 2017 2:08 PM

Mar 2016
Shin-bo looks like a young Kiku grown up.
Mar 18, 2017 6:17 PM

Jan 2011
Oh, so that wasn't really Sukeroku. Phew.
I'm very pleased with this version of the afterlife: people and objects/places.
One small thing I particularly enjoyed was Yakumo's gaze - a bit more tame and warmer than when he was young. I laughed at his shock at seeing Matsuda.
The world is the illusion of the real world.
Mar 18, 2017 6:31 PM
Jan 2008
Damn. Still fucking crying....

It was pretty obvious from the start that Kiku would pass this season...I mean the OP spells it out. But this episode was done beautifully from the start and the last five minutes made me sob.

Looks like last episode will focus on teenage Shinchan and I"m assuming the girl with him is Yota's kid with Konatsu...
Mar 18, 2017 11:16 PM

May 2015
it's not the episode that make me sad, it's the amount of people in MAL that "lose enjoyment" over 1 episodes like this. truly sad...
NEET Dood
Mar 19, 2017 12:37 AM

Aug 2013
"As they say, there's nothing as good for you as onions"

Have to agree, season 2 of Rakugo had chopped onions in almost every episode.

How I missed Yamadera amazing performances. R.I.P Matsuda san!!
Mar 19, 2017 2:29 AM

Oct 2013
What a way to end it all for Yakumo's story, beautiful episode.

Mar 19, 2017 5:38 AM

Feb 2008
After having finished watching the episode, minutes later, I am still weeping, in silence. At the same time, I cannot wipe this smug smile off my face. Who knew afterlife would be this enthralling? In the Buddhist context, however, it makes perfect sense. The rakugo performances were particularly enchanting.

The final episode's preview intrigued me. I guess another timeskip is at hand. I almost cannot contain my excitement.
Mar 19, 2017 10:52 AM

May 2015
Master you have good life. Take care :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 19, 2017 11:31 AM

Mar 2013
Whoa whoa whoa whoa! The episode left me awestruck!

Tbh I thought it wasn't really an afterlife and I was expecting Kikuhiko to wake up in real world at any moment. But turns out, he really passed away happily this time.

Seeing Sukeroku, Miyokichi and Kikuhiko at their prime again filled me with nostalgia :')
The calm and soothing soundtrack accompanied by good dialogues and appealing scenery made the episode literally heavenly haha.
It was delight to see Sukeroku and Miyokichi leaving behind the old regrets and moving on in their afterlives. Seriously, Miyokichi looked pretty this episode. And so did our handsome Kikuhiko :p

Needles to say, the ending moments of episode were really emotional. Won't deny that I got tearful after seeing Sukeroku crying. Couldn't hold it in when they made a pinky promise to see each other again while parting ways. It was sad but beautiful at the same time :')
The twist with Matsuda-san at the end was funny and surprising though :D
FinalFlash18Mar 19, 2017 11:35 AM
Mar 19, 2017 12:22 PM

Jan 2015
Almost cried at the end when I saw Matsuda...

Great episode, loved everything about it
Mar 19, 2017 5:09 PM
Sep 2015
why the fuck did they implement afterlife in this title? didnt it ruins the whole concept of death? whats even the point in kikus death, if he still gonna manage to tell rakugo, but in a different world? his death even solves his health problems. thankfully, his death brings him to the point, when he can tell rakugo like never b4, what an irony. at least sukerokus rakugo this ep was sort of awesome
this title is over by 10th ep, right with kikus death, this ep is just sweet farewell and next is post scriptum
ClearPageMar 20, 2017 6:38 AM
Mar 19, 2017 7:55 PM

Jul 2015
Honestly, I don't know how I feel.. For some reason it doesn't feel real

Wasn't expecting a next episode. Glad to see one
Mar 20, 2017 3:25 AM
Jan 2016
the entire episode felt like the most bittersweet walk own memory lane ;; i won't be over kiku's death for a long time even tho i saw it coming but i love him so much i kept trying to deny :((

overall the closure was so nostalgic, wholesome and on a whole new level of emotional. i couldn't be happier to hear more of the real sukeroku and listen to his rakugo again I've always loved his stories.

the boat scene had me in actual tears i'm not even exaggerating and not many shows can do that to me!!

all of that being said the voice acting in this show is awards worthy the entire cast has probably done their best job in this work specifically.

a masterful show that is already my anime of the year (years) it's staying with me for a long time ;; i'm gonna miss its main characters that I've developed a serious sense of connection with watching them grow and will not be anywhere over this masterpiece anytime soon.
Mar 20, 2017 4:30 AM

Dec 2013
Absolutely brilliant episode. It's so great seeing Bon/Shin together again!

That ending brought me to tears ;_;
Mar 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
OMG!!! This episode was so perfect, so beautiful, I nearly cried. And next week we will se Konatsu's children as teenegers? Holy shit, I just can't get enough of this masterpiece. *-*
Mar 23, 2017 11:48 AM

Jul 2009
This episode was beautiful and sad!!! I am sad Yakumo is dead but it was nice that he could meet the old friends again and the end, when Matsuda was the one in the boat, it almost made me cry!
Mar 23, 2017 10:00 PM

Nov 2007
All my tear-ducts gave away. All of them. I cannot stop crying. What a beautiful episode. At least we know he found peace. Even Matsuda joined him, the person who followed him throughout his entire life. T_T

Kikuhiko gave his entire life carrying the sin he never committed. All the while taking care of Konatsu and Rakugo. Both became his reasons to continue living on. Konatsu who gave him the real happiness made him find peace before he left the world. T_T

Miyokichi looked as beautiful as ever. It hurts so much when I think she gave up on a broken heart and did something that ruined the lives of so many people. T_T

The final moment between Shin and Bon was so endearing. I cannot bring myself to even think the way they had to part ways when they were living and after they were not. It's too cruel. The pinky promise was so touching. T_T

This has been one of the most amazing experiences in my life being an anime fan. Truly at the pinnacle of masterfully telling a story from the start to the end.

Next up is yet another time-skip and we will see Shin-chan and his sister. I am looking forward to know her name the most. This episode touched upon the naming of a child after all...

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 24, 2017 3:54 AM

Oct 2012
God this episode got me thinking about life and death, and what it's like getting old. Damn. Beautiful.
Mar 24, 2017 4:28 PM

Oct 2012
I absolutely loved what they did there, minimalizing drama and showing end of his life positively. Miyokichi and Sukeroku appearance was brilliant and so was the dreams/presence of both Konatsu and her child.

Passing of time in terms of changing seasons/snow was also good thing to do instead of boring time skip.
Even Matsuda's appearance on the final ship was very subtle way of telling the necessary.

Now the only thing we need to be shown is the end of Shouwa era, Konatsu's second child and grown-up Shin doing Rakugo like his grandad.
Mar 25, 2017 1:28 AM

Oct 2012
RIP Yakumo or should I say Kiku-san?
He was happy and that's all that matters
But why can't I stop these feelings from flowing (-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩___-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩-̩̩̩)
"Signature removed"
Mar 30, 2017 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
I knew it. He died. I also knew it, that evil shinigami at the theater wasn't Sukeroku.

Sukeroku and Yakumo as kids again in the afterlife. They make the afterlife look so fun lol Sukeroku's still sponging off him even in the afterlife.

They are all reunited: Yakumo, Sukeroku and Miyokichi. I know it's supposed to be sad but I think it's sweet and touching. Also the rakugo theater that burned down also moved on into the afterlife lol

I missed Sukeroku's rakugo performance.

That ending made me tear up. Matsuda-san followed Yakumo to the very end. It would have been nice if they all went together but Sukeroku can't afford it lol Still, that ending wrenched my heart.
臭い-
Apr 4, 2017 5:57 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic and best episode of the season.
Handled the after life brilliantly and elegantly.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who is the father of Konatsu's first child? *SPOIER?* ( 1 2 )

OGOTAKU - Mar 12, 2017

67 by Maahir97 »»
Apr 17, 12:04 PM

» Bit surprised to see s2 rated higher than s1

Korppi - Aug 9, 2017

11 by Pursueth »»
Feb 26, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

67 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

118 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:04 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

299 by JulianR »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.