Forum Settings
Forums

Are there no more exceptional, deep anime made?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 17, 2017 11:45 AM

Dec 2015
Sorry about the useless new post, but I just realized that the author named himself an "anime hunter". So, have we decided you to hunt again (in the 80s and early 2000s, I hope :D ) ?
Mar 17, 2017 12:21 PM

May 2015
So far, I've seen very few deep, exceptional anime. By definition that makes them rare. Why do you expect to find them regularly?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 17, 2017 1:11 PM

Dec 2012
Well, by definition, something exceptional is...an exception, meaning it is not normal and doesn't happen often. There shouldn't be a lot of these, because then they wouldn't be the exception and would be less special.

I do agree that for me too, there seems to be less out I'd give a 9 or 10 to, however I just attributed it to age and experience.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 17, 2017 1:53 PM

Apr 2016
So what are these "deep and exceptional" anime that have been made before, but are not made anymore?
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
Mar 17, 2017 4:00 PM
Feb 2017
Yes there are but they are probably buried under all of the shitty SOL and generic shounen.
Mar 17, 2017 4:06 PM

Sep 2014
Shinjisus said:
Almost any trashy anime can be made to look deep. You just need to have plenty of time to over-analyze it and use tons of complex words on your review. For the minority of people who would not get stagnated on the flashy facade of the review you made, you can just start spitting out some pretentious interpretations of ambiguous-ish moments, which almost any anime has, for strengthening your point.

this guy knows what he's talking about. beauty is in the eye of the beholder OP, some persons trash is another person's "exceptional, deep"

although i actually agree with you a little OP. it seems like nowadays studios are running out of money and are really pushing out ecchi/fanservice anime.
cash carti
Mar 18, 2017 7:16 PM
Jan 2017
Meh, I mean if people don't like high intelligent anime, because is a bit boring to them, tricking them with boobs and moe cuteness does not seem like a bad thing to be honest, especially when most anime that are "intellectual" either are amazing or come off as pretentious as hell and leave a sour taste. At least when they have boobs, I am coming out with a sweet taste if it wasn't entirely to my liking. Granted I guess to much sweet can be horrible too.
Mar 19, 2017 1:54 AM

May 2015
400degrees said:
Shinjisus said:
Almost any trashy anime can be made to look deep. You just need to have plenty of time to over-analyze it and use tons of complex words on your review. For the minority of people who would not get stagnated on the flashy facade of the review you made, you can just start spitting out some pretentious interpretations of ambiguous-ish moments, which almost any anime has, for strengthening your point.

this guy knows what he's talking about. beauty is in the eye of the beholder OP, some persons trash is another person's "exceptional, deep"

although i actually agree with you a little OP. it seems like nowadays studios are running out of money and are really pushing out ecchi/fanservice anime.

This reads like someone never read philosophy or anything actual deep. Some people can flaunt big words. Others can have such crystal clear logic that it doesn't matter how their language is and how big their words are.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 19, 2017 2:10 AM
Feb 2009
kikyo1hinamora said:
Kuzu no Honkai"""
chaos child""
rewrite season 2 not one"
Renai Boukun(like death note but in echi mode)
clockworkplanet

Lol
Just no
Don't just list your favourites
Mar 19, 2017 2:10 AM

Feb 2016
by something deep, you mean with dark fantasy in it?
Mar 19, 2017 2:21 AM
Feb 2016
How can you say that in a world where Ninja Slayer exists?
Mar 19, 2017 5:36 AM

Mar 2017
Snappynator said:
Deep anime? You mean like NGE where everyone is busy overanalyzing every single aspect?

What is deep and exceptional anime? Is it Death Parade with it's question on life and death? Is it something like Re:Zero that explores the psychological effect of a man breaking down through death? You can find these so called "deep" animes anywhere if you look close enough.
I second this.

Why? Ever see Mac and Devin go to High School? It's a dumb, American stoner comedy with Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa. At the beginning of the movie there's a talking joint that does the introduction for the movie. During this introduction, the talking joint stopped for a second and smoked himself as he said the movie would be better stoned. When he did that, I looked at my friend and jokingly said, "Look, he's killing himself for a brief moment of pleasure. So insightful and deep, bruh. He's a metaphor for humanity's self-destructive nature on the pursuit of happiness," or some shit like that lmao. I don't remember my exact words because it was a long time ago. You get the point tho.
Mar 19, 2017 5:53 AM

Aug 2014
Bozzzz said:
kikyo1hinamora said:
Kuzu no Honkai"""
chaos child""
rewrite season 2 not one"
Renai Boukun(like death note but in echi mode)
clockworkplanet

Lol
Just no
Don't just list your favourites
I can see you didn't bother looking at his profile; none of those are in his favourites list.
Mar 19, 2017 5:56 AM

Aug 2015
Well studio Trigger will save anime, Someday.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Mar 19, 2017 5:59 AM

Aug 2012
Pullman said:
John_2001 said:

Listen to this man; except watch Rick and Morty. It's even more deeper than NGE and Lucky Star combined.

You should be able to watch SU before the new Rick and Morty Season comes around : >

I'm just going to throw Samurai Jack into this conversation too. These are pretty much my three favorite things going on in western media, not that I keep up with much. Plus, Samurai Jack is the only one currently airing new episodes, since season 3 of Rick & Morty hasn't come out yet and Steven's back on hiatus right before Lion 4 because life is cruel.

As for the OP, Rakugo Shinjuu is currently airing (one episode left) and is easily one of my favorite shows, and I would definitely consider it exceptional and deep by my metrics. Are compatibility is relatively high and while their are certain series where our scores diverged greatly, I think Rakugo is closer in style to those we agree on. You can check out the first episode on Crunchyroll, it's about an 45 minutes long and is a pretty good indicator of the series tone and style (despite the shift in perspective and time following it) that I'm sure you'll know whether it's for you or not by episode's conclusion. I have talked to people who didn't like the first episode but ended up liking the series but still, if you're looking for recommendations of current shows Rakugo's a pretty easy one for me to give out.
Mar 19, 2017 7:22 AM

Feb 2016
Rukiaso said:
Snappynator said:
Deep anime? You mean like NGE where everyone is busy overanalyzing every single aspect?

What is deep and exceptional anime? Is it Death Parade with it's question on life and death? Is it something like Re:Zero that explores the psychological effect of a man breaking down through death? You can find these so called "deep" animes anywhere if you look close enough.
I second this.

Why? Ever see Mac and Devin go to High School? It's a dumb, American stoner comedy with Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa. At the beginning of the movie there's a talking joint that does the introduction for the movie. During this introduction, the talking joint stopped for a second and smoked himself as he said the movie would be better stoned. When he did that, I looked at my friend and jokingly said, "Look, he's killing himself for a brief moment of pleasure. So insightful and deep, bruh. He's a metaphor for humanity's self-destructive nature on the pursuit of happiness," or some shit like that lmao. I don't remember my exact words because it was a long time ago. You get the point tho.

'Killing himself' XD How nerdy can you get? I bet youve never tried it and/or have no friends who regularly smoke. Youre right about how sometimes people apply too much meaning but if its their genuine perception then w/e
btw this movie is a great stoner comedy, especially if you like the soundtrack

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 19, 2017 7:40 AM

Mar 2017
HamburgerSpike said:
Rukiaso said:
I second this.

'Killing himself' XD How nerdy can you get? I bet youve never tried it and/or have no friends who regularly smoke. Youre right about how sometimes people apply too much meaning but if its their genuine perception then w/e
It was a joint that was literally smoking himself. So killing himself is actually correct for this particular scenario. xD I have nothing against weed, at all. I used to blaze it a lot, dude. Hell, I'm a skateboarder (for almost 12 years now), and we all know a common stereotype for that group. I still smoke, just not as much because I have to use my own hard-earned money now. No mo' high school lunch money given to me daily from my guardians.
Mar 19, 2017 7:45 AM

Feb 2016
Rukiaso said:
HamburgerSpike said:

It was a joint that was literally smoking himself. So killing himself is actually correct for this particular scenario. xD I have nothing against weed, at all. I used to blaze it a lot, dude. Hell, I'm a skateboarder (for almost 12 years now), and we all know a common stereotype for that group. I still smoke, just not as much because I have to use my own hard-earned money now. No mo' high school lunch money given to me daily from my guardians.

Oh, I didnt get it then(I also remembered it otherwise - he smoked another joint but youre probably right) but I think your wording and a big part of society's perception implied that smoking weed is killing themself :D My bad, have a nice day

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 19, 2017 7:46 AM

Nov 2014
"Deep" anime were never common in the first place. Most "deep" anime are over-analysed rather than actually deep too.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 19, 2017 7:50 AM

Mar 2017
HamburgerSpike said:
Rukiaso said:

Oh, I didnt get it then(I also remembered it otherwise - he smoked another joint but youre probably right) but I think your wording and a big part of society's perception implied that smoking weed is killing themself :D My bad, have a nice day
Well, I could be wrong about him literally smoking himself and not another joint. As I said in my initial post, it was a long time ago.

I could have worded my initial post better tho. Sorry about that. And you, too, fam'
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
13 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
19 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
22 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
36 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.