Forum Settings
Forums

'Eureka Seven' Franchise Receives Movie Trilogy

New
Mar 16, 2017 10:13 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

Bandai Namco opened an official website on Friday, announcing that the Eureka Seven franchise will receive a movie trilogy. Titled Koukyoushihen Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution, the movies are scheduled to premiere in 2017, 2018, and 2019, respectively.

The movies will tell the story of the phenomenon known as "The First Summer of Love" that took place ten years before the original Eureka Seven anime, but was never depicted in full. The movies will then follow the main storyline of the first television anime and contain new dialogues and scenes, revised footage, as well as a new ending not present in the original series.

Staff
Chief Director: Tomoki Kyouda (Eureka Seven)
Director: Hisatoshi Shimizu (.hack//Roots)
Script: Dai Sato (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
Character Design: Kenichi Yoshida (Overman King Gainer)
Main Mechanical Design: Shoji Kawamori (Macross)
Conceptual Design: Kazutaka Miyatake (Macross F)
Design Works: Shingo Takeha (Space Dandy), Masatsugu Saitou (Captain Earth) Yutaka Izubuchi (Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone), Shigeto Koyama (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Character Animation Director: Shigeru Fujita (Piano no Mori character design), Ayumi Kurashima (Classroom☆Crisis chief animation director)
Special Skill Director: Yasushi Muraki (Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto special effects)
Mechanical Animation Director: Shingo Abe (Star Driver the Movie)
Key Animator: Hideki Kakita (Break Blade: Kakusei no Toki), Shuuichi Kaneko (Ryuu no Haisha), Ken Ootsuka (Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Heaven and Earth), Kenta Yokoya (Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou), Nobuaki Nagano (Redline), Shiori Kudou (Zetsuen no Tempest)
Art Director: Kazuo Nagai (Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon)
Assistant Art Director: Yuushi Honjou (Nabari no Ou background art)
Color Setting: Nobuko Mizuta (Kuromukuro color design)
Editing: Kumiko Sakamoto (Boku no Hero Academia)
Director of Photography: Toshiya Kimura (Nanatsu no Taizai)
Sound Director: Kazuhiro Wakabayashi (Tenkuu no Escaflowne)
Music: Naoki Sato (Heroic Age)
Studio: Bones
Production: Bandai Namco Entertainment, Bandai Visual, Hakuhodo DY Music & Pictures, Mainichi Broadcasting System, Bones
Distribution: Showgate

The teaser trailer below features the insert song "Acperience 7" by German electronic music duo Hardfloor.

Bones produced the original adventure sci-fi anime in Spring 2005, which was followed by a movie featuring an alternative setting in April 2009, and a sequel television anime in Spring 2012 with a different set of main characters. Bandai Entertainment licensed the anime series and the movie in North America and released them on DVD between April 2006 and March 2010. Funimation re-licensed both seasons and the movie and released them on home video between August 2013 and April 2014.

Eureka Seven won multiple awards at the 5th Tokyo Anime Awards, including Best Screenplay, Best Television Series, and Best Character Designs, the "Domestic Digital Contents Category" at the 20th Digital Content Grand Prix, and the Best Female Character and "Best Television Series" during the 2006 Anime Expo SPJA Awards in the US.

Teaser Trailer

Source: animate Times

Koukyoushihen: Eureka Seven - Hi-Evolution 1, Koukyoushihen: Eureka Seven - Hi-Evolution 2 & Koukyoushihen: Eureka Seven - Hi-Evolution 3 on MAL
VindstotAug 29, 2020 12:59 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2017 10:15 PM

Nov 2013
Holy shit, one of my favorite mecha shows is back! Hype!
Mar 16, 2017 10:19 PM

Nov 2011
HYPED

Nice to see that Eureka Seven is still not forgotten and getting more content. I look forward to this.
Mar 16, 2017 10:19 PM
Jul 2018
Sounds like these upcoming four years, Bones will be busy with making Movie which isnt bad but problem is... there is lack of TV shows from Bones..

Anyway, about this movie, I am really hype for this one!
Mar 16, 2017 10:25 PM

Oct 2016
Hope these are better than the other Eureka Seven movie. I mean I didn't hate it, but it was left open ended as hell also they made Holland who I always found to be kind of unlikeable into an even worse character.
Mar 16, 2017 10:28 PM

Mar 2017
I don't remember much about this show except that Season 1 was pretty amazing and Season 2 was pretty horrible.

Whelp, this gives me a reason to re-watch it.
Mar 16, 2017 10:40 PM

Aug 2015
Jak said:
Hope these are better than the other Eureka Seven movie. I mean I didn't hate it, but it was left open ended as hell also they made Holland who I always found to be kind of unlikeable into an even worse character.

Always thought that it was confirmed to be AU that's why everything/everyone acted differently from the show.
Mar 16, 2017 10:47 PM

Oct 2016
Jack said:
Jak said:

Always thought that it was confirmed to be AU that's why everything/everyone acted differently from the show.
It was. Eureka and Renton were childhood friends, and the Gekkostate is kinda evil. I'm saying that I didn't care for Holland in the anime and he was even worse in the movie.
Mar 16, 2017 10:47 PM

Mar 2014
I CAN'T WAIT! I loved the original series sooo much!
Mar 16, 2017 11:04 PM

Feb 2016
Season 1 was truly amazing. Looking forward to this.
Mar 16, 2017 11:10 PM

Sep 2011
I wonder why they decided to do a retelling of the story + prequel. Well, this way they can flesh more stuff out and maybe change the ending for a sequel to a TV series.
Mar 16, 2017 11:12 PM

Dec 2009
Wait, what? Really. Wow. Fuck yeah! I didn't really like the ending of the Special with Eureka losing her memories and becoming retarded like a child. ...As for Eureka Seven Ao I never finished it. Boring Start.

I'm actually excited for this!
Looking forward to have Johnny Yong Bosch voice Renton Thurston again!
Mar 16, 2017 11:13 PM

Aug 2015
Jak said:
Jack said:

It was. Eureka and Renton were childhood friends, and the Gekkostate is kinda evil. I'm saying that I didn't care for Holland in the anime and he was even worse in the movie.

Ah well I gotta agree with you on that last point, was never a fan of his character and how he acted towards Renton. Hopefully the movies will add in something worthwhile, maybe erase the existence of AO.
Mar 16, 2017 11:17 PM

Jan 2017
Praised be the God of Anime! For at least one of my prayers he heard...

But seriously, this is more than good news. I loved the first season, it always has and will be my favorite Anime. I thought so often about how cool it was if they did a trilogy telling the whole story line. I'm so exited for this!
Mar 16, 2017 11:20 PM

Jan 2008
It's been a real long time since E7. Is that a new seiyuu for Eureka?

E7's quality still holds to this day but giving it a movie quality version, I'm good with that too. Nice to see they didn't go and CG the mechas too, really glad. Like really.

No doubt it'll be very rushed. I'm sure they can cut out a lot since it's pretty slow at times but condensing a 50 episode series into 3 movies doesn't sound too great, especially when a portion of it is supposedly completely new content.
PaulMar 16, 2017 11:23 PM
Mar 16, 2017 11:21 PM

May 2015
If even half of the stuff announced so far comes out this year, 2017 might be the best year for anime ever.

Mar 16, 2017 11:24 PM
Feb 2017
meh.. it's just a remake. I'll watch it, but I was hoping for something extending the original storyline that isn't the troll of a series that AO is.
Mar 16, 2017 11:25 PM

May 2008
I'll watch it. Hope it's good.
Mar 16, 2017 11:25 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Kittens-kun said:
If even half of the stuff announced so far comes out this year, 2017 might be the best year for anime ever.
I dunno about it being the best year ever but its most certainly the best year we've had in the past 5 years imo

Either way, I'm really excited for this
Mar 16, 2017 11:41 PM

Nov 2012
John_2001 said:
I don't remember much about this show except that Season 1 was pretty amazing and Season 2 was pretty horrible.

Whelp, this gives me a reason to re-watch it.
Please don't call Eureka Seven AO season 2....

It wasn't a second season but a separate story supposed to be a sequel to the original series. All in all though it was bad and I'll be honest I don't like the sounds of this movie trilogy one bit.

So much to be concerned about. For example the fact that a portion of it takes place between the original series and the sequel series AO. The problem there is they should be brushing that second series under the rug after fans and critics alike agreed it was pretty much trash.

So the fact that they are acknowledging AO means that instead of just writing off the events of that series like they should means this trilogy will some how try to justify that abomination and link the original to it. Instead of just continuing where the original left off proper.

Other concerning things are the fact that they want to tell the story of the First Summer of Love... when it's a story that doesn't need to be told and enough of those events are slowly revealed through the original series. So again just an unnecessary story no one needs to be told.

Throw on top the fact that they want to retell the events of the original... which how... how in gods name do they intend to recap 50 episodes into a single 2 hour anime movie. I'm just like... are they stupid.

Either way I'm already writing it off unless they can give a competent reason for us to be excited. As far as I can tell other then just a bunch of lip service for fans, it's gonna be another empty husk exploiting the originals success.
Mar 16, 2017 11:45 PM

Dec 2012
Hmm, so Anemone is confirmed and we'll be getting new content before and after the series.
Most of the staff are returning, which is good. I didn't hate AO, but it was obviously not as good as the original.

Animation looks good, the character designer is the same guy, OST already sounds good.

First movie in 2017
Last movie in 2019
2019 - 2005 = 14
14 / 2 = 7 o_0

Excited
Mar 16, 2017 11:47 PM

Mar 2015
didn't see that coming, but oh well... keep my expectation low...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 16, 2017 11:59 PM

Mar 2017

Wow, after reading your post, I kinda sympathize with you. Like I said I don't quite remember this series so my apologies if I offended you.

Anyways, most of the sequels or anime movies for older anime turn out to be cash-grab which I strongly dislike. I don't have high hopes with this movie either but you should give the benefit of doubt because it's Bones we are talking about. Maybe they want to apologize to the fans for AO.
Mar 17, 2017 12:10 AM

Nov 2013
Maybe finally time for me to get into ES. Not sure if i should watch the anime or just wait for the movies, which is a remake with new stuff. hmmm
Mar 17, 2017 12:15 AM

May 2014
Based solely on the cover art for the 3 movies, it looks like they're redoing the OG Eureka show as a trilogy, so updated graphics and animation, could be amazing, but there's no way you could capture even half the character development that happens in Eureka Seven in 3 movies. Probably still going to check them out though.
Mar 17, 2017 12:21 AM

Jul 2014
Not sure how this is gonna turn out (I smell a cash grab tbh) but I'm definitely gonna check it out nonetheless.
Take care of yourself

Mar 17, 2017 12:36 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I am so excited for this. E7 is one of my favorite (if not my favorite) TV series. I really hope Bones gets a big budget to animate these movies well with some beautiful sakuga.

\o/
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 17, 2017 12:54 AM
Nov 2013
I am awestruck. Don't know why this is happening but I'll take it. More Eureka Seven that isn't AO is fine. No idea how this'll turn out but I have faith in the crew behind the initial masterpiece.

Please get the original dub cast Please get the original dub cast please get the original dub cast please get the original dub cat please get the original dub cast please get the original dub cast please get the original dub cast please get the original dub cast please get the original dub cast please god
Mar 17, 2017 1:01 AM

Jan 2015
Interesting. I found the anime to be alright, but it will be interesting to see where these movies go!
Mar 17, 2017 1:03 AM

Nov 2007
Will it cleanse my memory of "Eureka Seven AO, Status: Dropped, Episodes Seen: 15/24 Your Score: 5 (Average)" and make me believe that AO never existed?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 17, 2017 1:09 AM

Nov 2012
News about new movies sounds good.
But i have some concerns about this.
Mar 17, 2017 2:04 AM
Jul 2018
Oh god I hope Renton wont make me rage like it the original
Mar 17, 2017 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
I like the concept just please for the love of god, don't fuck it up, don't fuck it up, don't fuck it up, don't fuck it up,don't fuck it up, don't fuck it up.
Mar 17, 2017 3:14 AM

Jul 2013
TheMaverickk said:

Do you even read dude? I don't even watch anything from the franchise but please read before posting.

The movies will tell the story of the phenomenon known as "The First Summer of Love" that took place ten years before the first Eureka Seven anime, but was never depicted in full. The movies will then follow the main storyline of the first TV anime and contain new dialogues and scenes, revised footage, as well as a new ending not present in the original series.

It's basically a film trilogy (not a single movie but 3) which will include events that happened before and during (not after, so no AO) the first TV anime plus a new ending. Almost all of your complaints are gone if you'd just take some time to read except for the fact that it will still cut down most of the character developments and unimportant scenes since 3 films are still shorter than 50 eps.

Mar 17, 2017 3:45 AM

Nov 2008
I have my concerns; simply because of how bad AO was; and when they say 'new ending' I was fine until than. I hope this new ending will be superior to the original if not it will be yet another shame.
Mar 17, 2017 4:12 AM

Mar 2008
Oh lord I really hope Fujiwara Keiji can be back in time for this. He's mentioned many times that Holland is his favorite character he's ever played. It would be devastating for him if he couldn't reprise the role (not to mention unpleasant for me as a viewer).
Mar 17, 2017 4:33 AM

Nov 2008
Nishiou said:
Maybe finally time for me to get into ES. Not sure if i should watch the anime or just wait for the movies, which is a remake with new stuff. hmmm
Stick with the original series and ignore everything else until the movies are out?
Mar 17, 2017 4:42 AM
Apr 2013
Lel

Yeah, nothing to see here assuming this is the "bad" ending that got scrapped. They have been hyping about the bad ending since the last episode of E7 and their subsequent events. I never did like the ending despite that was the writer's intention, making the whole struggle naught when the credits start rolling.

Glad the seiyuu managed to convinced them otherwise. But nooooo. After E7 Aho and the movies, apparently, it still wasn't enough for them.
Mar 17, 2017 4:47 AM

May 2011
Sweet, I was just thinking of re-watching this.
Mar 17, 2017 5:22 AM

Apr 2014
Oh no, I have to watch the 1S asap.
Mar 17, 2017 5:43 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Nice to see this happening, I have seen S1 in 2012, and last year finally made up my mind to finish AO (only took 4 years), which was a flawed sequel, that had potential but focused on the wrong stuff and got too convuluted for its own good.

But the original has been an anime I have taken dear in my heart all these years, so revisiting with some new scenes should provide some real fun!
Sweet.
Mar 17, 2017 5:46 AM

Nov 2013
sirwence said:
Nishiou said:
Stick with the original series and ignore everything else until the movies are out?

Yeah will do that now, since i saw people saying the 3 movies will not be enough for all the character development and content.
Mar 17, 2017 5:49 AM

Apr 2011
As horribly excited this has made me [i friggin' love e7 to death, and the very idea of seeing more of the original cast sounds amazing], AO was a mess, and I don't want them to ruin any other characters and their endgames for me then they already have w/ Renton and Eureka... I'm feeling rather torn about this.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Mar 17, 2017 6:35 AM

Sep 2011
Looking forward to this! But I hope they tone down Eureka and Renton saying each other's names constantly.
Mar 17, 2017 6:42 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That's an interesting project. Glad I'll be getting more Eureka soon.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 17, 2017 8:47 AM
Sep 2012
I'm so HYPED! Those character headshots look nice. Eureka Seven is one of my favorites, this is gonna be awesome. Yeah, AO sucked, but I think people should be more optimistic. Let's not make assumptions until at least the first movie is released. I'm sure they're aware that AO was poorly received, hopefully they learned from their mistakes.
Mar 17, 2017 9:05 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Thats a pretty nice surprise.

Might finally end up watching E7 after all this time pushing this.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 17, 2017 11:09 AM

Aug 2014
Movies => shorter => better pacing

This one might at least be worth it more than the original series.
Mar 17, 2017 11:52 AM

Nov 2012
EasyGo-er said:
Do you even read dude? I don't even watch anything from the franchise but please read before posting.

The movies will tell the story of the phenomenon known as "The First Summer of Love" that took place ten years before the first Eureka Seven anime, but was never depicted in full. The movies will then follow the main storyline of the first TV anime and contain new dialogues and scenes, revised footage, as well as a new ending not present in the original series.

It's basically a film trilogy (not a single movie but 3) which will include events that happened before and during (not after, so no AO) the first TV anime plus a new ending. Almost all of your complaints are gone if you'd just take some time to read except for the fact that it will still cut down most of the character developments and unimportant scenes since 3 films are still shorter than 50 eps.
I've actually read the news, lots of it, not just here on MAL and some of the excerpts have explicitly said that they ware going to show events and things that happened between the original series and AO. That "never before seen ending" is likely going to be a longer more detailed ending that is less vague and will more likely try and connect the two series. Also who knows how long this extended ending will go and how much it will try to connect. Still doesn't change the fact that they've said that there will be events shown between the original series and AO.

I'm willing to wait before passing judgement but no offense I have very little to be hopeful over. Dai Sato returning is the only thing I could even call a positive.

That said I still stand by the fact that we don't need to see the events of the First Summer of Love (an event talked about and expanded upon through dialogue in the original series), and movies that try to condense entire anime series never go over well. Character development is lost, and so forth. I am still greatly concerned for the outcome of this trilogy.
Mar 17, 2017 12:02 PM

Nov 2012
John_2001 said:
Wow, after reading your post, I kinda sympathize with you. Like I said I don't quite remember this series so my apologies if I offended you.

Anyways, most of the sequels or anime movies for older anime turn out to be cash-grab which I strongly dislike. I don't have high hopes with this movie either but you should give the benefit of doubt because it's Bones we are talking about. Maybe they want to apologize to the fans for AO.
Sorry, didn't mean to concern, I'm not really offended. But I mean it's just unfortunate that people even see AO as a second season because it's so detached from the original.

I would give Bones the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for the fact that despite having great animation and starting their animation series strong... they usually fall apart at the end (typically because the source material isn't complete, so they have to do an original ending).

I mean the original FMA had a terrible conclusion.... Soul Eater is again another series that fell apart at the end.... Kekkai Sensen went off the rails as well... Captain Earth went all wishy washy.... so I mean I'd say that it's a 50/50 chance that they get the job done.

The original Eureka Seven was one of their home runs for an original series. FMA Brotherhood righted the wrongs of the original.... I have high hopes for My Hero Academia. This I will remain pensive.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

13 by liatris4405 »»
4 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
44 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
4 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Today

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.