Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 16, 2017 4:09 AM

Dec 2012
Seems there is no season three announcement yet .. So I thought about takeing a look at the light novels but...

Konosuba anime is hilarious because of the Art and the Voice acting (Most of the time) .. I wonder how is the Light Novel? Do you people think its good? I know its selling quite well now but I think that's due to the anime adaptation ..

Another thing thats bothering me is that even If the LN is good ranking wise , Translation in english might kill some parts of the LN .. Should I read Konosuba LN?

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Mar 16, 2017 4:30 AM

Sep 2013
KazuroWeisemann said:
Seems there is no season three announcement yet .. So I thought about takeing a look at the light novels but...

Konosuba anime is hilarious because of the Art and the Voice acting (Most of the time) .. I wonder how is the Light Novel? Do you people think its good? I know its selling quite well now but I think that's due to the anime adaptation ..

Another thing thats bothering me is that even If the LN is good ranking wise , Translation in english might kill some parts of the LN .. Should I read Konosuba LN?

The LN was already selling fairly well even before the anime happened which made all this "omg KonoSuba was the darkhorse of the season" really weird because it was hyped as fuck by pretty much everyone who's reading LNs.

Also no, while the art and voice acting might add some of the comedic effect I definitely have to disagree with that being the strong points of it. It's easily the authors writing and in that sense, yes it's worth reading the LNs. They're hilarious.
I haven't laughed that much from reading something in a while and the upcomming vols (1 season = 2 vols, so anime is up to vol4 now) are some of the best parts of the entire series for most people.

And while Deen for the most part sticks to the source and what's happening, due to it being only 10 episodes a season there is stuff getting cut. So rereading from vol1 might be a good idea just to get all those minor things out of it. But then again you probably won't really laugh as much because you already know what's going to happen... so maybe start with vol5 and if you like it go back to restart properly from vol1?
ToadessternMar 16, 2017 4:33 AM
Mar 16, 2017 4:43 AM

Dec 2012
Toadesstern said:
KazuroWeisemann said:

The LN was already selling fairly well even before the anime happened which made all this "omg KonoSuba was the darkhorse of the season" really weird because it was hyped as fuck by pretty much everyone who's reading LNs.

Also no, while the art and voice acting might add some of the comedic effect I definitely have to disagree with that being the strong points of it. It's easily the authors writing and in that sense, yes it's worth reading the LNs. They're hilarious.
I haven't laughed that much from reading something in a while and the upcomming vols (1 season = 2 vols, so anime is up to vol4 now) are some of the best parts of the entire series for most people.

And while Deen for the most part sticks to the source and what's happening, due to it being only 10 episodes a season there is stuff getting cut. So rereading from vol1 might be a good idea just to get all those minor things out of it. But then again you probably won't really laugh as much because you already know what's going to happen... so maybe start with vol5 and if you like it go back to restart properly from vol1?

Thanks for that .. I guess I will read from volume 1 since you mentioned some parts being cut and I personally noticed that in Season 1..

Judging from what you said .. I ll assume that the Translation to english will not effect the comedic value much.. And if the sales were already good before the anime that , That alone says a lot about the quality .. Which also increases the chance of a sequel.. Lets just hope the announcement comes soon or someone else picks it up..

"They say that if you change yourself, you'll change the world, but that's a complete lie. They're just forcing you to compromise by feeding you a convenient little fib. Let me show you how to really change the world." -Hikigaya Hachiman

Mar 16, 2017 4:59 AM

Feb 2017
LN is 2000 times better than anime, even the spin-off
Mar 16, 2017 5:20 AM
Jul 2015
The LN made me obssessed with Konosuba. I remember that I gave a 6/10 to the first season, but out of curiosity, when S2 was airing I decided to read the LN, and God, they are so superior to the anime I read all the volumes + spin-offs in less than a week,and now I'm impatiently waiting for new releases.

The reason is that the anime focuses too much on the humor, where the LN focuses more on the world building, the plot and the characters, making them many times more loveable, appealing and endearing.

The anime is made for laughs, but the LN truly immerses you in the universe.
Mar 16, 2017 5:30 AM
Nov 2010
As everyone else states read the light novel as well, you will not regret it at all. Also the fan translations of it is damn good though I have no idea about the quality of yen presses translation.
Mar 16, 2017 5:53 AM
Nov 2016
Guys if the light novel is as good as the anime wouldn't you mind giving me a link on where to read the translated version of it online? Greatly appreciated with your response.
Mar 16, 2017 5:56 AM

Feb 2015
I think the doujinshi featuring Konosuba isn't good either... I haven't see all of it, but I've seen some.
Mar 16, 2017 6:07 AM

Sep 2016
As season 1 finished last year I was so hyped to continue the story that I got the fan translated light novel to read, and well, I was reading at least 1~2 volumes per day, and I found it to be actually better than the anime (in my opnion, of course, but the anime is still great).
The comedy works greatly in the LN, Natsume knows how to show you exactly what is happening, the narrative itself is in a diary-like format, where the protagonist is kinda talking to you "in real time", if that makes sense, but it works really well too.
Plus, the anime cuts some really good parts, such as the chapter where Kazuma exchanges teams for a day with Dust (the guy who showed the succubus store to him, that guy and his team have more importance in the novels), and some other parths, such as the bath part with Megumin, is much better in the LN.

So basically, I highly recommend the novel for anyone who enjoyed the anime, it is great.
I'm actually really happy that the anime follows it really well (even though it cuts some parts as I said), and both the anime and the LN have some unique parts (Ex: in anime, there's the Wiz's dreams about Beldia, which is pretty funny, and in LN, the bath part says that Megumin has a tattoo on her butt, which is not that relevant, but it's mentioned later, making it funny).

Look for Skythewood (volumes 1-8, Vanir's spin off and the 3 Bakuen Wo" and YunsTranslation (volume 9 forward and Bakuen Wo 4) to read the fan translation, since YenPress only published 2 or 3 volumes yet.
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Mar 16, 2017 6:08 AM

Dec 2012
Blitzkami said:
The LN made me obssessed with Konosuba. I remember that I gave a 6/10 to the first season, but out of curiosity, when S2 was airing I decided to read the LN, and God, they are so superior to the anime I read all the volumes + spin-offs in less than a week,and now I'm impatiently waiting for new releases.

The reason is that the anime focuses too much on the humor, where the LN focuses more on the world building, the plot and the characters, making them many times more loveable, appealing and endearing.

Ohh thats interesting .. Looking forward to reading it now..

Mar 16, 2017 6:09 AM

Dec 2012
Victoren said:
As season 1 finished last year I was so hyped to continue the story that I got the fan translated light novel to read, and well, I was reading at least 1~2 volumes per day, and I found it to be actually better than the anime (in my opnion, of course, but the anime is still great).
The comedy works greatly in the LN, Natsume knows how to show you exactly what is happening, the narrative itself is in a diary-like format, where the protagonist is kinda talking to you "in real time", if that makes sense, but it works really well too.
Plus, the anime cuts some really good parts, such as the chapter where Kazuma exchanges teams for a day with Dust (the guy who showed the succubus store to him, that guy and his team have more importance in the novels), and some other parths, such as the bath part with Megumin, is much better in the LN.

So basically, I highly recommend the novel for anyone who enjoyed the anime, it is great.
I'm actually really happy that the anime follows it really well (even though it cuts some parts as I said), and both the anime and the LN have some unique parts (Ex: in anime, there's the Wiz's dreams about Beldia, which is pretty funny, and in LN, the bath part says that Megumin has a tattoo on her butt, which is not that relevant, but it's mentioned later, making it funny).

Look for Skythewood (volumes 1-8, Vanir's spin off and the 3 Bakuen Wo" and YunsTranslation (volume 9 forward and Bakuen Wo 4) to read the fan translation, since YenPress only published 2 or 3 volumes yet.

I found the Skythewood translation .. But how is the quality of the fan translation?

Mar 16, 2017 6:13 AM

Sep 2016
KazuroWeisemann said:
Victoren said:

I found the Skythewood translation .. But how is the quality of the fan translation?

I didn't have any problem reading it, though you'll probably find some grammar errors here and there, but nothing that big. And when there's some japanese reference and things hard to understand, he puts a note to tell you what it means and everything.
YunsTranslation also have some short stories, which usually are special bonus for deluxe editions and things like that.
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Mar 16, 2017 7:12 AM

Sep 2016
Blitzkami said:

I know your feeling, and I agree with you, there's is some parts in the novel that can even get really emotional, and the characters and universe have much more development, which is a point I forgot to mention in my post. That's the reason I didn't gave the anime a higher score, it don't develop the characters as well as the novel (in fact, it cuts lots of the character development parts)
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Mar 16, 2017 7:35 AM

Dec 2012
Victoren said:
KazuroWeisemann said:

I didn't have any problem reading it, though you'll probably find some grammar errors here and there, but nothing that big. And when there's some japanese reference and things hard to understand, he puts a note to tell you what it means and everything.
YunsTranslation also have some short stories, which usually are special bonus for deluxe editions and things like that.

Hmm then It should not be a problem .. Downloading it now .. Gonna read after exams..

Mar 16, 2017 8:14 AM

Aug 2012
LN is better. You're not gonna regret reading it.
Mar 16, 2017 8:51 AM

Feb 2017
I still remember when LN get to its best part, I finish volume 5,6,7 in just 1 day. Its like 1000 pages, you know. Just give it a try and you wont regret
Mar 16, 2017 9:28 AM

Sep 2013
KazuroWeisemann said:
Victoren said:

I read it in japanese but once people told me about the "fanfiction" (since calling it fantranslation resulted in it getting taken off) I checked it out just for shitz and giggles.
I didn't read a lot of the english version but it seemed fine to me.
I found one minor mistake in the fantranslation at the time I read the intro to vol1: he translated the scene with Kazuma dying as his parents bursting out in anger in the hospital, the original only says that they did burst out while omitting what emotion it was but it was fairly obvious that it was bursting out in laughter and not in anger. And yeah, that's the only thing that caught my eye when I read the intro in english

That being said, Yen Press has licensed the series for an english speaking release. I think just 1 or 2 weeks ago they published vol1 officially translated and as a fan who ownes most the vols himself I can only recommend getting a legit copy yourself so much. Sure, if you want to check it out read vol1 etc online but if you're enjoying it a lot maybe you should consider buying them. It's 14$ on Amazon for 1 vol which is a fair bit more expensive than the japanese original ones but they have to translate after all.
Not that I'm somehow related with them or trying to promote them here but you know... if you want to spend some money there are worse ways to spend it compared to trying to support something like this
ToadessternMar 16, 2017 9:36 AM
Mar 16, 2017 10:22 AM

Dec 2012
Toadesstern said:
KazuroWeisemann said:

I read it in japanese but once people told me about the "fanfiction" (since calling it fantranslation resulted in it getting taken off) I checked it out just for shitz and giggles.
I found one minor mistake in the fantranslation at the time I read the intro to vol1: he translated the scene with Kazuma dying as his parents bursting out in anger in the hospital, the original only says that they did burst out while omitting what emotion it was but it was fairly obvious that it was bursting out in laughter and not in anger. And yeah, that's the only thing that caught my eye when I read the intro in english

That being said, Yen Press has licensed the series for an english speaking release. I think just 1 or 2 weeks ago they published vol1 officially translated and as a fan who ownes most the vols himself I can only recommend getting a legit copy yourself so much. Sure, if you want to check it out read vol1 etc online but if you're enjoying it a lot maybe you should consider buying them. It's 14$ on Amazon for 1 vol which is a fair bit more expensive than the japanese original ones but they have to translate after all.
Not that I'm somehow related with them or trying to promote them here but you know... if you want to spend some money there are worse ways to spend it compared to trying to support something like this

I guess I ll go with fan translation after all ..

Don't get me wrong .. I would buy it if I could but at this point , I lack both money and allowance for buying it .. Though I will definitely consider buying LNs in the future if I like them .. For eg. I have decided that I will buy Re Zero LNs to support the series..

Another problem with me is that sometimes I read entire volumes in one sitting so thats it ..

Mar 16, 2017 11:02 AM

Sep 2016
Toadesstern said:
KazuroWeisemann said:

Yeah, I also recommend buying them, but if you're like me and can't wait to read the next volume, you can just read it by the volumes YenPress didn't release yet in the fantranslation and then buy the official when it comes out, 'cause it's not like isn't worth reading it again heh xD
I'll do that soon, too, sadly in Brazil the price of 14$ is stupidly higher...
EKUSUPROOOOOSION!
Mar 16, 2017 12:49 PM

Sep 2013
Victoren said:
Toadesstern said:

Yeah, I also recommend buying them, but if you're like me and can't wait to read the next volume, you can just read it by the volumes YenPress didn't release yet in the fantranslation and then buy the official when it comes out, 'cause it's not like isn't worth reading it again heh xD
I'll do that soon, too, sadly in Brazil the price of 14$ is stupidly higher...

Yeah so far only vol1 is out anyways, they have vol2 scheduled for next month according to their homepage but I wouldn't want to wait that long either.

There's also the possibility to buy them directly in japanese from amazon.co.jp or somewhere else. If you'd do that they're only 650Yen per book (a bit less than $6) but since shipping is around $20 it's not really worth it unless you buy a bunch. Especially not if you can't read it and want it for more than just looking nice in your shelf.
Nov 18, 2018 6:21 AM
Nov 2018
Ln is a lot better than the anime, it's on a whole other level.
Mar 16, 2022 9:53 AM
Mar 2022
Blitzkami said:

wow.. KonoSuba S1 is just 6/10 for you? what anime would you score with 8 or higher? I've only read the first few chapter of the LN (english) but I only laughed in a few parts because I visualized and remembered the related scenes in the anime. the VA makes the dialogue funny imo..
dapidminiMar 16, 2022 9:56 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2017

340 by V121ONENDWAR »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2017

233 by V121ONENDWAR »»
Apr 17, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2017

223 by V121ONENDWAR »»
Apr 16, 6:03 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2017

171 by 0451 »»
Apr 10, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2017

188 by 0451 »»
Apr 10, 7:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.