Forum Settings
Forums

what's the appeal of boring, perfect waifu type of character like Rem?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 15, 2017 7:59 PM

Nov 2013
Because nerds are lifeless virgins who only think they can get with a submissive girl who falls in love with a NEET protagonist for no reason. A woman with thoughts scares them.

I swear, no one would care for that awful anime if it wasn't for the waifu.
Mar 15, 2017 8:03 PM

Jan 2014
Brb said:
You mean males don't like loving obedient partners?

I must be talking to the wrong species since that was the paradigm until women's rights became a thing.

I do, Indeed.

But well, dude, there's ppl that enjoy the BDS&M play and some other weird fetishes...

Not against tsunderes, yanderes or other dere archetype, though.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Mar 15, 2017 8:18 PM
Apr 2015
Illyricus said:
Stop, don't tell me more things like those ones, they are too lewd to handle ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Don't you just love it when they stampede on you? Spit on you?

It's masochist heaven man, when I die I wanna go there
Mar 15, 2017 8:24 PM

Feb 2012
I didn't watch the anime, but from the choices you've given I'd assume the appeal is that she's boring and perfect.
Mar 15, 2017 9:31 PM

Mar 2016
All of the hentai doujinshi makes her character worth it for me, otherwise from the studio perspective she is really good at selling merchandise.
Mar 15, 2017 10:16 PM
Jan 2017
So I can put my face on their boobs and have them be happy like Asuna who is perfect waifu who can also kick ass when she needs to. Also what you call boring, I see as cute, fun and best of all a character I can root for.
Mar 15, 2017 10:21 PM
Jan 2017
kI4synVCfn7PMH4w said:
Because nerds are lifeless virgins who only think they can get with a submissive girl who falls in love with a NEET protagonist for no reason. A woman with thoughts scares them.

I swear, no one would care for that awful anime if it wasn't for the waifu.

Yes because when I think girls I like, I think of bat shit crazy tough girls instead of the nice one that always makes you feel good and try your best. The one that supports you and makes you want to be a better person. Smart girls are not just people who are tsundere and act all high and mighty, they come in all forms.
Mar 15, 2017 10:22 PM

Aug 2010
If you ask me, Rem is just like Shitty Kuroneko. They are one of a kind and I came to hate them both. I absolutely fail to see their appeal.

What's fun about a character, who won't "unlove" the MC no matter what he does, even going as far as saying they wouldn't mind even if he had sex with his OWN SISTER.

This is just so unrealistic and fucked up... Not to talk about some of Rem's cringy flirt lines that almost got me throwing up.
Mar 15, 2017 10:25 PM

Aug 2010
Pyro said:
Rem is waifu bait. I think her entire character is bullshit honestly. That said, she's still better than Subaru.

Wait, why would you compare Subaru and Rem? Since when was Subaru an entrant in the waifu competition?

In my opinion they are both shitty af characters, with shallow backgrounds and even shittier development.
Mar 15, 2017 10:36 PM

Nov 2009
What's the appeal of a perfect waifu? Well, it's because they are perfect waifu!
Haven't seen much of Rem myself, but from what I have read and seen in this topic, there is more to her than just a perfect waifu, so the "boring" qualifier might be unwarranted.

Suicidaled said:
I didn't realise people liked her because she was obedient or "perfect". The reason I liked her is because how far she went for subaru, especially in episode 15 I think it was.

Love is the most attractive thing in the universe. That's why girls like Gasai Yuno can be called "waifu".

Pullman said:
And I loved the main girl from Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou which probably falls into your second category of worst girls (glasses, bookworm, low self-esteem).

Thanks for the recommendation. Now I really want to watch this anime.

Tsie said:
I think the question could be asked backward to the people that loved Yuno Gasai and even called her a waifu material.

Yuno Gasai is really relatable to my dark side. She loves the opposite sex in a possessive way, and solves all the life's problems with murder. Have you never wanted to murder anybody who stands between you and happiness?
As for waifu material, let me repeat: Love is the most attractive thing in the universe.
Mar 15, 2017 11:13 PM

Jan 2015
oryouohagi said:
Pyro said:
Rem is waifu bait. I think her entire character is bullshit honestly. That said, she's still better than Subaru.

Wait, why would you compare Subaru and Rem? Since when was Subaru an entrant in the waifu competition?

In my opinion they are both shitty af characters, with shallow backgrounds and even shittier development.

Even though Rem's character is to blatantly be the perfect waifu to please lonely nerds, she's still a better character than Subaru. That's what I meant.
AeroheartMar 16, 2017 1:25 AM
Mar 16, 2017 12:56 AM

Jul 2015
Funny how the same people who bash Rem have some disgusting bitchy tsunderes in their favorites
i guess Otakus are a bunch of masochists that need someone who treat them like a dirt , fucking retards
Mar 16, 2017 1:01 AM

Oct 2013
tragedydesu said:
Funny how the same people who bash Rem have some disgusting bitchy tsunderes in their favorites
funny how you gave After Story a 4 but both Kyou-hen and Tomoyo-hen 6s
Mar 16, 2017 1:06 AM

Jul 2015
Deknijff said:
tragedydesu said:

At least they don't have a deus ex machina that ruin the whole purpose of the show
Mar 16, 2017 1:10 AM

Oct 2013
tragedydesu said:
Deknijff said:
At least they don't have a deus ex machina that ruin the whole purpose of the show
I felt the time reset was justified honestly with how it was handled but to each their own I guess
Mar 16, 2017 4:10 AM

Aug 2010
Pyro said:
oryouohagi said:

Even though Rem's character is to blatantly be the perfect waifu to please lonely nerds, she's still a better character than Subaru. That's what I meant.

Well, if I had to pick one then I'd oobviously pick rem too, no questions asked.
Oct 18, 2022 2:46 PM
Nov 2018
This entire thread is stupid, for one Rem is anything but a boring perfect waifu, she's just kind. If you think just being kind (not even unconditional kindness) makes you "perfect and boring" then there's something wrong with you.
Rem is a demon who can lose her shit, with magical powers, who can be absolutely ruthless, who is insecure, and yet who will, through teary eyes, tell you to follow your heart even if that hurts her. There is nothing boring about her. Hell, even if we ignore everything else and just go by looks, she has blue hair, a horn, a maid outfit, and a twin, nothing about that is boring.

But even if I accepted this idiocy then the entire question is still stupid.

"what is the appeal of a perfect waifu", "what is the appeal of a perfect car?, why would you want a car that's good looking, affordable, safe, indestructible, and fuel efficient?" I'd want it because it's perfect, what's the appeal of a perfect waifu? The fact that she's perfect, what is it you're not getting here?

What's the appeal of a shit waifu is the better question, why would you want a waifu who doesn't love you, or isn't kind, or whatever it is that you delude yourself into thinking that Rem is perfect.
Oct 19, 2022 1:40 AM

Oct 2008
Since you're giving Rem as an example.
1. She's an Oni, goes berserk and has fun.
2. She has big boobs.
3. She gave a speech, which wasn't to bad.

Lastly though she might be a "perfect waifu", that doesn't mean the MC'll pick her. So since the fans of the anime have picked her, she is automatically the perfect waifu.
Oct 19, 2022 2:09 AM

Nov 2021
If Rem was perfect, her figurines wouldn't be collecting dust on displays at my local used bookstores. There'd be lack of motivation towards bumping a fossilized, dug out 5 year old thread for pointing out how imperfect she is
NonAtmosphericOct 19, 2022 2:22 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 5 hours ago

15 by Tabbs919 »»
2 minutes ago

» MAL Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 20 minutes ago

1 by Nemo_Niemand »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

13 by zckfox »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

41 by 0arche »»
8 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by ANormalUser »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.