Forum Settings
Forums

New York is planning on removing literacy test for teachers cause Hispanics and Blacks tend to fail it

New
Mar 12, 2017 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
https://archive.fo/V8eHG

Associated Press story.

New York education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading and writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it.

Ian Rosenblum, the executive director of the New York office of the Education Trust, a nonprofit that advocates for high achievement for all students, called the literacy test "a 12th grade-level assessment" — something a high school senior should be able to pass.

So cause some minorities cannot pass a high school level literacy test that they need to pass in order to become teachers, they're planning on removing it in order to improve diversity.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 12, 2017 7:10 PM

Jan 2015
No.

This is absolutely stupid. If you are incapable of passing a literacy test you do not need to be teaching others. As someone who is attending university I know the struggle of having a teacher who should not be teaching. I am speaking more along the lines of not able to speak english well/understand it, but this is also bad. I understand many businesses want to increase diversity, but it should not be done when it will also lower quality. I hear many complain that Americas primary education sucks, and this is just digging us deeper.
Mar 12, 2017 7:29 PM

Feb 2015
I dunno but if I take it I will fail it...

I'm Filipino by the way...

So.. What is it again?

Ehhh... Ohhh yeah.. nothing...
Mar 12, 2017 7:29 PM
Oct 2012
Neane93 said:
So cause some minorities cannot pass a high school level literacy test that they need to pass in order to become teachers, they're planning on removing it in order to improve diversity.

Now now, you can't call people ignorant just because they are. Think about their "self respect". Better that you lie to yourself than you dare to offend a "minority".
Mar 12, 2017 8:03 PM

Mar 2015
this is backwards of equality for race... this is racist if anything if it does true...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 12, 2017 8:04 PM
Oct 2012
Kuma said:
this is backwards of equality for race... this is racist if anything if it does true...

Racism, no. The "bigotry of low expectaions", yep!
Mar 12, 2017 9:02 PM
Jul 2018
''Blacks and Hispanics aren't on the same level as us whites so we will lower the bar for them''

Jesus fuck
Mar 12, 2017 9:20 PM

Nov 2012
I don't want to use the word regressive, but in this case, what else can you say.

Mar 12, 2017 9:27 PM
Feb 2014
Intellectual Diversity dies when diversity is forced down our throats these days.
Mar 12, 2017 9:42 PM

Mar 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Kuma said:

Racism, no. The "bigotry of low expectaions", yep!

the biggotary of low expectation using race as excuse is the one that racist.. that's like implaying black and hispanic can't...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 12, 2017 10:06 PM

Nov 2009
If they were going to tackle "diversity" you would think they would start with their educational system practically mirroring those during the Jim Crow Era . . .

In a way it is kind of funny, in going so far in the opposite direct of "racism", they are legitimately being racist.
Mar 13, 2017 1:39 AM

Sep 2012
teachers are already fucking terrible and now they want to let dumber ones be accepted regradless?
wtf?

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Mar 13, 2017 5:24 AM

Jul 2015
Yay for diversity! This is what you get for making racist laws and policies that are beneficial for one race and harmful for another - the racial groups who have it easier will eventually stop trying. It's disgusting how USA treats blacks like babies or animals. They have zero expectations for them, and instead just walk them through any minor challenge.
Mar 13, 2017 5:26 AM

Aug 2008
Really stupid move.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Mar 13, 2017 6:43 AM

Jan 2015
"Did you know that Jorge Washington never lived in the Casablanca? The first presidente to occupied it was Juan Adams. The buildin itzelf was builded in neoclásica style."

This opens doors for quality teaching. At least now students have the potential to learn more Spanish.
Mar 13, 2017 7:33 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty stupid move. Someone with poor reading and writing skills should not become a teacher.
Mar 13, 2017 8:46 AM

Feb 2016
Ahahahahahahhahaha

This is why American education will never be on par with European education.
Mar 13, 2017 8:48 AM

Jan 2013
America the Beautiful(ly stupid). The US public education system is already shit and few students seem to respect the Teachers, might as well drag it down to third world level.
Mar 13, 2017 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
I- I mea- this is just freaking dumb.
Mar 13, 2017 9:16 AM

Jun 2016
The U.S. education system is a fucking 10/10.
Username is subject to change.
Mar 13, 2017 9:19 AM

Jul 2015
educaton clearly is racist
schools need to be decolonised
Mar 13, 2017 9:48 AM

Sep 2012
Ahh irony and hypocrisy is strong in this news.
Mar 13, 2017 10:13 AM

Apr 2015
Sweet Madoka kaname, why is this even!?!?
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 13, 2017 10:47 AM
Feb 2017
Kuma said:

well essentially this is where the "equality" movement is going. Minorities too stupid to pass the literacy test? The test must be racist, we need to throw it out.
Mar 13, 2017 11:16 AM

Mar 2008
Depends what they are teaching. PE teachers, art teachers, and elementary school maths teachers dont need to read. Obviously english and history and so on need to read though. So totally eliminating it isnnt the right move but it's nnot a big deal if it's just changed to have lower standards for teaching jobs where reading isnt important. Not omething I would have ever thought of suggesting without hearing this though since I dont care about forced diversity.
Mar 13, 2017 12:00 PM

Apr 2015
...What?!

The literacy test is pretty important to being a teacher. I don't care what race you are, if you want to be a teacher, pass the goddamn test.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 13, 2017 1:00 PM

Dec 2016
It seems like the people considering removing this provision have no idea why they are even removing it. Literary tests were considered racist back when they were first introduced for voting booths and things like that because the tests were often manipulated in order to prevent blacks from voting, but this scenario is completely different. Anyone who thinks removing literary tests now is a good idea probably does not realize why literary tests were even considered racist in the first place.

What's the difference?
Mar 13, 2017 2:51 PM

Mar 2015
imeli said:
Kuma said:

well essentially this is where the "equality" movement is going. Minorities too stupid to pass the literacy test? The test must be racist, we need to throw it out.

you are not better than them either... rather than the test it self that racist, it still showing inequality between race especially in education they get... so the one that need to get fixed not literacy test it self, but how they educated... funny thing my country problem is same, but mainly because imbalance in country development that affected mostly also black people... currently, lot of teacher sent there to fix it...
Mar 13, 2017 3:14 PM
Feb 2017
Kuma said:
imeli said:

you are not better than them either... rather than the test it self that racist, it still showing inequality between race especially in education they get... so the one that need to get fixed not literacy test it self, but how they educated... funny thing my country problem is same, but mainly because imbalance in country development that affected mostly also black people... currently, lot of teacher sent there to fix it...

So since you aren't from here I'll give you an explanation on how bad the educational system is here and why it has nothing to do with minorities failing the literacy test.
Elementary school through 8th grade is basically a waste of time. Your parents, if dedicated enough, could teach you the shit you spend 6 years here learning. The only reason elementary school was worth anything was because this is where we form out first friendships, bonds, etc...
9th - 12th grade in high school is a fucking joke if you aren't an "advanced placement" student (which literally means nothing to universities if you don't make a perfect score on the AP exam at the end of the year). 9th grade and 10th grade are basically the same thing as 7th and 8th grade but with more time consuming assignments and shittier books to read.
Dropping out after 10th grade with good grades and moving on to community college is ideal, but sadly I didn't know this at 16. 11th and 12th grade are just rehashes of 9th and 10th grade in which the system tries to steal your parents money by making them pay $500 for a graduation robe you will never wear again, possibly up to $10000 for a "high school ring" that nobody cares about, and "college prep" programs that have nothing to do with college. A diploma is nothing more than a GED with faux gold encrusted on the outside.

So where is this inequality between race? There isn't one. Everyone is subject to the same shitty education unless you're parents are rich and can afford private school. You're just making one up for the sake of defending minorities, even though you aren't even from the USA. The reason why many minorities are illiterate is because they include illegals from Mexico that hardly speak english, blacks and mexicans who grow up idolizing gangs and violence (shitty media, hip hop/rap industry) and thus drop out of school to get involved crime at an early age (Chicago, LA, Miami, Houston, everywhere in NY), and the idiots that come to our country knowing full well that they don't know English but "the government will help me anyway".

Yes, I am better than these people who can't pass the literacy test. They are stupid and don't deserve a high paying job if they can't be literate. This isn't Sub-Saharan africa.
brandeneatsfoodMar 13, 2017 3:17 PM
Mar 13, 2017 3:21 PM

May 2014
This is harrison bergeron in real life
Mar 13, 2017 3:31 PM

Mar 2015
imeli said:
Kuma said:

So since you aren't from here I'll give you an explanation on how bad the educational system is here and why it has nothing to do with minorities failing the literacy test.
Elementary school through 8th grade is basically a waste of time. Your parents, if dedicated enough, could teach you the shit you spend 6 years here learning. The only reason elementary school was worth anything was because this is where we form out first friendships, bonds, etc...
9th - 12th grade in high school is a fucking joke if you aren't an "advanced placement" student (which literally means nothing to universities if you don't make a perfect score on the AP exam at the end of the year). 9th grade and 10th grade are basically the same thing as 7th and 8th grade but with more time consuming assignments and shittier books to read.
Dropping out after 10th grade with good grades and moving on to community college is ideal, but sadly I didn't know this at 16. 11th and 12th grade are just rehashes of 9th and 10th grade in which the system tries to steal your parents money by making them pay $500 for a graduation robe you will never wear again, possibly up to $10000 for a "high school ring" that nobody cares about, and "college prep" programs that have nothing to do with college. A diploma is nothing more than a GED with faux gold encrusted on the outside.

So where is this inequality between race? There isn't one. Everyone is subject to the same shitty education unless you're parents are rich and can afford private school. You're just making one up for the sake of defending minorities, even though you aren't even from the USA. The reason why many minorities are illiterate is because they include illegals from Mexico that hardly speak english, blacks and mexicans who grow up idolizing gangs and violence (shitty media, hip hop/rap industry) and thus drop out of school to get involved crime at an early age (Chicago, LA, Miami, Houston, everywhere in NY), and the idiots that come to our country knowing full well that they don't know English but "the government will help me anyway".

Yes, I am better than these people who can't pass the literacy test. They are stupid and don't deserve a high paying job if they can't be literate. This isn't Sub-Saharan africa.

you are make my point stronger by how shit US education is... however, yourself also saying it mainly because economy and society... that need to be fixed... it's not because they are minorities... i mean, asian and jews are menorities as well, but they has lot better education than average US citizen... how your economy and social status determined how you get educated showing how fucked up your country is ... my point simply it's not racial things and that they are minorities make them didn't pass literacy test, but more complex reason...
Mar 13, 2017 6:01 PM
Feb 2017
Kuma said:
imeli said:

you are make my point stronger by how shit US education is... however, yourself also saying it mainly because economy and society... that need to be fixed... it's not because they are minorities... i mean, asian and jews are menorities as well, but they has lot better education than average US citizen... how your economy and social status determined how you get educated showing how fucked up your country is ... my point simply it's not racial things and that they are minorities make them didn't pass literacy test, but more complex reason...

No. The problem is complex but not the reason. I agree with you that minorities receive a shit education just like I said in my first reply. I'm WHITE and my education in school was just as bad. The main difference in why I'm literate is because I grew up as a child with books, games, music, healthy social environment, etc... that basically supplemented what the education system was trying to teach me. I also didn't make shitty decisions in my life such as turning to crime at an early age or dropping out before high school.

As for the minorities who are illiterate, many of them are illegal immigrants and thugs who are below the poverty threshold. They can't afford any of this. The only thing they can do is survive and get by in life off whatever under the table job they can find. Popping out children doesn't help. These kids tend to grow up illiterate as well because they become more focused on surviving and less interested in learning how to write and speak properly. You don't have to pay loads of money to go to a library to read books but you won't make money to eat by reading. It's no surprise that many of them turn to pushing cocaine and heroin for gangs like the cartel or getting involved in things like organ trading and human trafficking.

As for asians and jews, they are minorities but they aren't at the same level of poverty as hispanics and blacks. Most, if not all jews are wealthy. I don't know a single jew in poverty. As for asians, I do know that asian gangs exist, but personally, I've never seen a ghetto full of asians or known any asians that were completely illiterate. They all knew how to speak and write basic english.

The reason why the educational system is bad and the country is fucked up in general is because of so much pandering and taxpayer money wasted on the minorities in poverty and because of the amount of low class SJW females who become school teachers. I could go into this even further but it's too much to type so I'll just end this by saying that an environment with shitty parents, shitty teachers, and gang culture along with drug culture is what breeds stupid illiterate people. If we hire illiterate teachers just because they are black and hispanic do you honestly think that is going to solve the problem?
Mar 13, 2017 6:29 PM

Mar 2015
imeli said:
Kuma said:

No. The problem is complex but not the reason. I agree with you that minorities receive a shit education just like I said in my first reply. I'm WHITE and my education in school was just as bad. The main difference in why I'm literate is because I grew up as a child with books, games, music, healthy social environment, etc... that basically supplemented what the education system was trying to teach me. I also didn't make shitty decisions in my life such as turning to crime at an early age or dropping out before high school.

As for the minorities who are illiterate, many of them are illegal immigrants and thugs who are below the poverty threshold. They can't afford any of this. The only thing they can do is survive and get by in life off whatever under the table job they can find. Popping out children doesn't help. These kids tend to grow up illiterate as well because they become more focused on surviving and less interested in learning how to write and speak properly. You don't have to pay loads of money to go to a library to read books but you won't make money to eat by reading. It's no surprise that many of them turn to pushing cocaine and heroin for gangs like the cartel or getting involved in things like organ trading and human trafficking.

As for asians and jews, they are minorities but they aren't at the same level of poverty as hispanics and blacks. Most, if not all jews are wealthy. I don't know a single jew in poverty. As for asians, I do know that asian gangs exist, but personally, I've never seen a ghetto full of asians or known any asians that were completely illiterate. They all knew how to speak and write basic english.

The reason why the educational system is bad and the country is fucked up in general is because of so much pandering and taxpayer money wasted on the minorities in poverty and because of the amount of low class SJW females who become school teachers. I could go into this even further but it's too much to type so I'll just end this by saying that an environment with shitty parents, shitty teachers, and gang culture along with drug culture is what breeds stupid illiterate people. If we hire illiterate teachers just because they are black and hispanic do you honestly think that is going to solve the problem?

no, and exactly, and it's the country task to fix that social gap hence why minority need more money... social gap only breed jealosy which unhealthy.. however, the way to resolved is what i think we all disagree because that's not the correct way... my point is it's education adn society fault, not the minority as human being and simply because they are the minority...
Mar 13, 2017 6:49 PM
Feb 2017
Kuma said:
imeli said:

no, and exactly, and it's the country task to fix that social gap hence why minority need more money... social gap only breed jealosy which unhealthy.. however, the way to resolved is what i think we all disagree because that's not the correct way... my point is it's education adn society fault, not the minority as human being and simply because they are the minority...

LOL you think the minorities should have more money handed to them? So they can do what, push more heroin laced with fentanyl? Pop out more kids that go the same route? It IS the minorities fault because they came to this country unable to speak our language and they expect us to cater and provide everything to them. Then when this doesn't happen, they go get involved in crime because they can't find work due to being illiterate instead of going back to their HOME COUNTRY. After this they have multiple children that they can't afford to take care of, so their children follow the same path.

Poverty among blacks usually stems from other issues regarding drug use and distribution, crime within the family, and a dicksizing contest that has been going on within their youth culture for decades now. It's "cool" for them to be a gangbanger, killing people at age 16 for money and being involved racketeering, money laundering, etc... The SJW media sold this image to them as well as the large amount of trashy females that pretend to be momentarily attracted to this image. There is nothing that can really be done about this unless, as a race, they fix it themselves. It's not everybody else's mess to clean up. If you gave these people more money, they would just go buy more guns and ammo to shoot each other with.

Lemme tell you something, America isn't a socialist or communist nation, and it never will be without a whole lot of bloodshed. You don't come here and bring your 2nd or 3rd world values with you to stay and you don't come here and expect us all to speak fluent Spanish, Arabian, etc..., unless you want to be treated like garbage.
Mar 13, 2017 7:54 PM
Nov 2016
Ugh, I came here hoping this was a joke.

Mar 13, 2017 9:11 PM

Mar 2015
@imeli @Rarusu_

wait, do you guys really think what i mean "need money" as simple as handling them money? no, it's poverty reduction plan by lot of social program which does need money for them... for example is education, job training, micro economics program, ETC... that's just how it work in most country...

don't go too far like imigran people, but simply focusing for your own people proverty... do you want surrounded by stupid, criminal people? because that's how you get one...
Mar 13, 2017 9:33 PM
Feb 2017
Kuma said:
@imeli @Rarusu_

wait, do you guys really think what i mean "need money" as simple as handling them money? no, it's poverty reduction plan by lot of social program which does need money for them... for example is education, job training, micro economics program, ETC... that's just how it work in most country...

don't go too far like imigran people, but simply focusing for your own people proverty... do you want surrounded by stupid, criminal people? because that's how you get one...

See my post where I told you that this isn't a socialist nation. There is a system here by which one can succeed in if played right. We aren't going to spend billions of dollars of the people's taxes to help those that don't even help themselves. It's their choice to immigrate to America without knowing any English. It's their choice to choose a life of crime over a life of learning, working, and entrepreneurship. If you think that these people deserve the taxes of those that actually work and earn their money, then you must be from one of these socialist countries where refugees are raping your women daily.

Just FYI, nobody is surrounded by stupid criminals either unless you're in a really bad neighborhood. It's not like I walk outside every day and gunshots are going off.
Mar 13, 2017 10:15 PM

Mar 2015
imeli said:
Kuma said:
@imeli @Rarusu_

See my post where I told you that this isn't a socialist nation. There is a system here by which one can succeed in if played right. We aren't going to spend billions of dollars of the people's taxes to help those that don't even help themselves. It's their choice to immigrate to America without knowing any English. It's their choice to choose a life of crime over a life of learning, working, and entrepreneurship. If you think that these people deserve the taxes of those that actually work and earn their money, then you must be from one of these socialist countries where refugees are raping your women daily.

Just FYI, nobody is surrounded by stupid criminals either unless you're in a really bad neighborhood. It's not like I walk outside every day and gunshots are going off.

no no no, it's has nothing to do with being socialist country, it just showing a normal functional country that ensure human rights for it citizen... again, my point is not immigrant... not all black and hispanic are immigrant, but focusing on your own country citizen proverty...

stupidity is not only thug you know? i mean, what US rank on education again?
Mar 13, 2017 10:21 PM

Jan 2016
Excuse me but uh...teachers kind of need to be able to teach...so that would imply they need to be good with literacy as well... if these people fail often then they need to work harder for completing the literacy test. Seriously what is up with this pandering T_T
Mar 14, 2017 12:19 AM
Mar 2017
Kuma said:
imeli said:

no no no, it's has nothing to do with being socialist country, it just showing a normal functional country that ensure human rights for it citizen... again, my point is not immigrant... not all black and hispanic are immigrant, but focusing on your own country citizen proverty...

Here in America, most real citizens that are in poverty, put themselves in poverty. You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to a "functioning country". If somebody willingly fucks up their own life, it's not the duty of the country to provide for this person. If you think otherwise, you are pretty much a socialist.
Mar 14, 2017 12:30 AM

Mar 2014
American education in a nutshell
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 14, 2017 3:21 AM

Mar 2015
SJWsAreMad said:
Kuma said:

Here in America, most real citizens that are in poverty, put themselves in poverty. You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to a "functioning country". If somebody willingly fucks up their own life, it's not the duty of the country to provide for this person. If you think otherwise, you are pretty much a socialist.

what? how is that even socialist? i don't even... seriously, you are probably one of american fail education fruit...

who are people in the right mind want to become poor? they mostly have no choice... and it's country task to give them oportunity to overcome their poverty by given skill they need for it... if they really does want poor or still fail at it, it's not country fault anymore... it's not mean that the country ideal function, but one of country task is ensure citizenship prosperity it citizenship...

how does stopping proverty is even a bad program?
Mar 14, 2017 5:18 AM

Mar 2017
Hilarious. In an attempt to be more racially diverse, they did it in one of the most racist ways possible. They are basically admitting Hispanics and Black people are not other race's equal and need to be coddled into achieving something someone else can do on their own.

I love PC culture!!
Mar 14, 2017 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
I imagine not all states employ literacy tests anyway
I've had some teachers that've been pretty fucking dumb
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.