Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 15, 2010 12:10 PM
Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Quelque chose comme Dupont"...

A rather good episode which showed also revealed a little background about the imaginary world of "Sora no Woto". Perhaps we can expect more depth still in the episodes to come.
KinetaNov 25, 2012 11:00 AM
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Feb 15, 2010 12:21 PM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was the best episode of anime I've seen in quite awhile. I was wondering if any of the girls had ever seen any actual combat, Felicia has seen more than enough. Really it was quite an emotional episode, it made me really feel for the veterans of war.

#NBHNC
Feb 15, 2010 3:46 PM

Jun 2009
I guess I'll go with this thread since it's older by an hour.

Such an amazing episode, wow.

Filicia ;_; and now we know the identity of that trumpet lady.
Feb 15, 2010 3:59 PM

Aug 2009
Well, I hope after this episode the K-ON comparisons slow down a bit.

Every episode we get a little bit more and at the same time, we get more questions. I will say, who knew the nicest one had the darkest backstory.

Dear god, the spider tanks on the buildings gave me Matrix vibes in a creepy-cool way.

(I hope for Kana's sake, history doesn't repeat itself....)
Feb 15, 2010 5:41 PM

Sep 2008
One of the best episodes until now. And I wonder how the bondly-trumpet-pingent girl is everywhere and known by everybody. A 'princess', huh.
Feb 15, 2010 6:47 PM

Sep 2007
The best episode of this series yet. It finally became what it was suppose to be billed as... a war drama. We finally got to see the army in action... as well as the high tech spider tanks as well. They finally revealed who the mystery blond really is. The rest of the show just needs to keep this up and it might just redeem itself.
Feb 15, 2010 7:19 PM

Apr 2009
Magnificent episode.. Felicia's special episode has easily beaten the others.. and i just love this quote.. "I'm sure there is no meaning in this world.. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own.." or something like that.. then we also get more hints on what happened to their world and who the amazing grace woman is (she's a princess? what?).. but we still don't have the exact picture yet so i'm really excited if they are going to reveal it.. btw, i really loved the art and music of this anime and this episode just showcased it...
Feb 15, 2010 8:29 PM

Dec 2008
wow this ep was really graphic and violent, wasn't expecting that
Feb 15, 2010 8:58 PM

Oct 2009
Oh shit, shit and shit! I got flashbacks of all the war movies I seen in one flash with this episode. Why? I have seen dead bodies and bodies alive but got blown away because they could not get out fast enough=>
I have seen blood and lots of it from the body flowing and from a accident that Filicia caused herself=>
Seen Spider tanks in action and GIF=>

Seen a beam that can cause a atomic reaction and GIF=>
Have seen Filicia's friends dead with this=>
as shocking and bet many are surprised at the 180 degree turn it suddenly took. Only problem was that it's Filicia's past and it's not sudden present. Fiesta des Lumière.....means Festival of the Lights....thinking it's more Japanese tradition we here in France go to a special veteran cemetery, which makes me think I will do that just because of this episode. They even put a small fan service=>
But there is a point in all this.....the world just never could be the same since WW2 ever started and only got worse with Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan....next might the unavoidable Russia and USA. Dead but not forgotten and so are in IRL our WW2 comrades=>
Anyone know the closest thing IRL to this weapon?=>
The dead even talk in war times and to the last question of the last pic what is your answers I would like to know=>
That is just cute and nice change from the first half=>
Iria? Highness? Is she a princess of Helvetia and does Rio share anything with her?=>
Anyone smell trouble in the next episode with this title?=>
Overall traumatizing episode but excellent in telling war veterans plight and I can assure you have grand parents that I drink with because they cannot forget WW2's memories unless with alcohol.
Wasabi said:
The best episode of this series yet. It finally became what it was suppose to be billed as... a war drama.
The problem is that it's in the past but do you think that the title of the next one might go on with that direction?
francismeunierFeb 15, 2010 9:08 PM

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Feb 15, 2010 9:17 PM

Nov 2008
I got blood, drama, chicks actually firing weapons and a decent psychological theme.

I digg the laser thing which fucking annihilated everything with the force of a small nuke.

Good thing I didn't drop this but I'm waiting for the ending. Still not satisfied.
Maximatum99Feb 15, 2010 9:20 PM
Feb 15, 2010 9:28 PM
Mar 2008
It's been a long time since I've seen such a good episode in any anime. SnW and Durarara!! are still the better shows of this season.
Feb 15, 2010 9:28 PM

Oct 2009
Maximatum99 said:
I digg the laser thing which fucking annihilated everything with the force of a small nuke.
But where oh where does it come from? I digg more the Goliath tanks....why call them spider tanks? Don't like that name even if it is appropriate to it but do you have a feeling those tanks were a older model?

Feb 15, 2010 9:40 PM

Nov 2008
francismeunier said:
Maximatum99 said:
But where oh where does it come from? I digg more the Goliath tanks....why call them spider tanks? Don't like that name even if it is appropriate to it but do you have a feeling those tanks were a older model?

Well, that version was still a couple of years back then. Still empathizes that Filicia's team has a low priority having parts of that model in the present.
Feb 15, 2010 9:41 PM

Feb 2009
Woa woa woa woa, what the heck? There's actually war in this anime? Either they planned this in advance or they listened to the audience.

Either way it's freaking amazing, I knew from the last episode that this show could get serious with the illegal wine distillery but I didn't think they'd actually have the balls to put war scenes in moe shit. I really hope they keep this up.

Btw, who thinks we're gonna see aliens soon? They seem to live in some melting-pot kind of world, so I'm guessing the nations of earth united together (lol) to fight a greater threat.
Feb 15, 2010 9:51 PM

Oct 2009
Maximatum99 said:
francismeunier said:
Maximatum99 said:

Well, that version was still a couple of years back then. Still empathizes that Filicia's team has a low priority having parts of that model in the present.
Yeah I agree but we still don't have how long ago was this war? I am thinking 15 years ago? Maybe 10 years?
Alexstratz said:
Woa woa woa woa, what the heck?

Rofl same reaction with the shit.
Alexstratz said:
I didn't think they'd actually have the balls to put war scenes in moe shit. I really hope they keep this up.

Bet you anything some otakus are traumatized and I was right that Rio's little cut in the last episode would lead up to this...now if only they could make it present with something that happens.....
Alexstratz said:
Btw, who thinks we're gonna see aliens soon? They seem to live in some melting-pot kind of world, so I'm guessing the nations of earth united together (lol) to fight a greater threat.
I am thinking a) undead b)demons c)some crazy force invading/maybe terrorists.

Feb 15, 2010 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
...And there's my reward for sticking with this show for the season. Awesome, AWESOME episode, especially the ending.

garfield15 said:
Well, I hope after this episode the K-ON comparisons slow down a bit.

Yeah really, I hope it only goes up from here. Those people who dumped it on the first episode won't know what they're missing!
Feb 15, 2010 10:44 PM

Dec 2007
Anybody who was paying attention to the first 6 episodes new that the series would eventually turn. There was too much foreshadowing for it not to happen.

That said, excellent episode. I enjoyed the look into Mugi Felicia's past as well as a nice connection to remember the deceased.
Feb 15, 2010 11:21 PM

Aug 2008
What a ridiculous episode. This only exposed the fact that nothing in the beautiful setting makes any sense. We don't know what happened. We don't know how people all of a sudden stopped knowing Japanese, despite customs being maintained. We don't know why a trumpeter is needed for such high-tech platoons. We really don't even know if Felicia was really just worrying about her weight since all this came out of nowhere.

Honesty. How is anything like this episode supposed to hold any weight when we know nothing, and nothing was even hinted at in previous episodes? It's just tacked-on and superficial, like every other aspect of the show. It really is exasperating to see the writers try and make something out of nothing.
Feb 15, 2010 11:31 PM

Oct 2009
sucks for filicia
Feb 15, 2010 11:39 PM

Apr 2009
So, in this episode we have...

-Tanks: M3 Lee and whatever the hell Filicia's tank was
-Dead soldier's Japanese Defense force Type 89 rifle
-Rio's (dead) sister (Iria?)
-Iria and Rio's pendants and nobility
-Iria's insignia/platoon insignias
-Why doesn't Noel have a lantern?
-Why Noel knows about Filicia's experience firsthand?
-What the Vector Zeroes were fighting?
-How the Vector Zeroes move without falling apart?
-How Filicia survived?
-Filicia is future Kanata?
-What city is being attacked in the past flashback (not Filicia's flashback, the other small one)?
-Why are soldiers with spider tanks using WW2 era guns? (Lugers, Kar-98s, MG34/42s)
-Why do the soldiers in the "Old Era" have more advanced firearms?

Among others.

Also, translation of the soldier's last words

Feb 15, 2010 11:52 PM

Nov 2006
That was really powerful. I had trouble focusing on rest of the episode when it switched back to the present time. The stark change in mood really got me.

I was doing OK on tears until Amazing Grace started playing, then I lost it. I blame it on Shark Week.

I wasn't expecting character development like this, especially not for Felicia, so I'm quite happy about that.
Feb 16, 2010 12:36 AM
Jun 2008
Maximatum99 said:
francismeunier said:
Maximatum99 said:

The tank that they have currently seems to be a more advanced one from far in the past. It looks a lot like the ones crawling on the building's during the dead soldiers flashback. The tank that Felicia was in during the beginning of the episode was likely newer but because of the world ending and all much less advanced. So if anything they have a tank that could pwn anything in the current time if they manage to fix it.
Feb 16, 2010 12:44 AM
Feb 16, 2010 12:48 AM
Jun 2008
Haylias said:

-Why are soldiers with spider tanks using WW2 era guns? (Lugers, Kar-98s, MG34/42s)

Despite walking on legs the tanks in the current time don't seem all that advanced. So that could explain why the guns aren't advanced and why they need a trumpeter to communicate.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that the "Old Era" was much more advanced but something wiped out most of civilization which led to a loss of technology.

Is Vector Zero the name of the tanks in the dead soldiers flashback? I don't remember hearing that.
Feb 16, 2010 1:17 AM

Nov 2008
Boursk said:
Threads merged

Glad that mess is cleaned up.
Feb 16, 2010 1:37 AM

Oct 2009

bryf50 said:
Haylias said:

bryf50 said:
Despite walking on legs the tanks in the current time don't seem all that advanced. So that could explain why the guns aren't advanced and why they need a trumpeter to communicate.

I noticed it too, no chaffs, no smoke bombs and not missiles equipped + manual target sighting
bryf50 said:
I think it's pretty clear at this point that the "Old Era" was much more advanced but something wiped out most of civilization which led to a loss of technology.

Sounds like Atlantis to me.
bryf50 said:
Is Vector Zero the name of the tanks in the dead soldiers flashback? I don't remember hearing that.
Me neither.
Maximatum99 said:
Boursk said:
Threads merged

Glad that mess is cleaned up.

There is much more than that in other threads and triple/double posts.
bryf50 said:
Maximatum99 said:
francismeunier said:
Maximatum99 said:

The tank that Felicia was in during the beginning of the episode was likely newer but because of the world ending and all much less advanced. So if anything they have a tank that could pwn anything in the current time if they manage to fix it.

a) We don't know what the enemy might have to attack. b)Filicia's time looked much less advance than dead soldier's time so unless she had bad weapons or crappy ones in her unit it would explain more.
Haylias said:
So, in this episode we have...

-Tanks: M3 Lee and whatever the hell Filicia's tank was
They looked more like Matildas or KV2 cannon only wise.
Haylias said:
-Dead soldier's Japanese Defense force Type 89 rifle
Any ways to provide picture of that weapon to compare?
Haylias said:
-Rio's (dead) sister (Iria?)
How do you know it's her sister?
Haylias said:
-Iria and Rio's pendants and nobility
Iria might have given it to Rio just because x reasons we do not know yet.
Haylias said:
-Iria's insignia/platoon insignias
Is it still in effect?
Haylias said:
-Why doesn't Noel have a lantern?
Because she has no one dear to her dead...her teacher is still alive and I think that's her precious person that might have adopted her and she knows where her parents are nor if they are alive....
Haylias said:
-Why Noel knows about Filicia's experience firsthand?
Maybe because she is close to her? Maybe Noel accessed the documents about Filicia somehow.
Haylias said:
-What the Vector Zeroes were fighting?
Assuming a laser tower and also assuming that is what fired the laser now that I think about it.
Haylias said:
-How the Vector Zeroes move without falling apart?
I wonder about that too since the construction does not look good at all.
Haylias said:
-How Filicia survived?
Did you not see? She went into the hole until Iria found her and before that think of it as luck that no bullets hit her nor any sniper even.
Haylias said:
-Filicia is future Kanata?
That might be because she liked I think it was Anna that had the trumpeter's role to signal and maybe Kanata reminds her of that person?
Haylias said:
-What city is being attacked in the past flashback (not Filicia's flashback, the other small one)?
Most likely the one around the no man's land?
Haylias said:
That's a good question and I don't know other than assuming R&D was into tanks only.
Haylias said:
I am assuming country got wiped out for being like which brings back to the Atlantis case.

Haylias said:
Among others.

Also, translation of the soldier's last words

That is nice of you to translate that....I appreciate and it's more of a impact. Sorry for long reply but should not spoiler it as it has many of them got to know who get replied to who.
francismeunierFeb 16, 2010 1:52 AM

Feb 16, 2010 1:51 AM

May 2008
The most shallow show of the season.
Feb 16, 2010 3:03 AM

Sep 2009
I thought this episode was incredible. The flashbacks were like a different show. This episode was worth the wait...and I hope to see some more episodes that build on this one.
Feb 16, 2010 4:19 AM

Oct 2009
noteDhero said:
What a ridiculous episode. This only exposed the fact that nothing in the beautiful setting makes any sense. We don't know what happened. We don't know how people all of a sudden stopped knowing Japanese, despite customs being maintained. We don't know why a trumpeter is needed for such high-tech platoons. We really don't even know if Felicia was really just worrying about her weight since all this came out of nowhere.

Honesty. How is anything like this episode supposed to hold any weight when we know nothing, and nothing was even hinted at in previous episodes? It's just tacked-on and superficial, like every other aspect of the show. It really is exasperating to see the writers try and make something out of nothing.
I love you noteDhero....you pointed the most negative aspect of this episode and I fully agree with you on that one but the good points I mention them with my GIF post. However I do hope you change your opinion about the fact that it showed at least Filicia's suffering from her past experience.....I don't think you can deny that at least.

Feb 16, 2010 4:57 AM

Jun 2008
Finally! some War, even if it's just in flashbacks. That was really good and i hope they keep this up. But i guess even now there will be those who say the dead soldier is just another moeblob-face...
Feb 16, 2010 5:18 AM

Oct 2009
Proselyt said:
Finally! some War, even if it's just in flashbacks. That was really good and i hope they keep this up. But i guess even now there will be those who say the dead soldier is just another moeblob-face...

Eh? O_o The dead soldier looks like a zombie Proselyt but no one answered me on what they think the next episode title might say about the episode as in does anyone think it will continue with the war in the present time with the 5 girls.....

Feb 16, 2010 7:04 AM

Apr 2009
So the war set the world back into the post industrial age? I don't really get it, because in the flash back it showed modern cities and buildings being destroyed by advanced machinery.
Feb 16, 2010 7:10 AM

Oct 2009
MiraiLink said:
So the war set the world back into the post industrial age? I don't really get it, because in the flash back it showed modern cities and buildings being destroyed by advanced machinery.
You obviously missed my GIF of what can the big laser do and how much destruction it can cause....which can equal to a atomic bomb's power.

Feb 16, 2010 8:42 AM
Jun 2008
francismeunier said:
a)We don't know what the enemy might have to attack. b)Filicia's time looked much less advance than dead soldier's time so unless she had bad weapons or crappy ones in her unit it would explain more.

We can assume that whatever wiped out the old civilization ran into some issue and never finished the job. Whether or not they'll make an appearance again remains to be seen. That's what I'm hoping for though to make this show interesting. At only 13 episodes, I'm not counting on it though.
Feb 16, 2010 8:58 AM

Oct 2007
This episode really got me. I nearly cried nearer the end :/
Feb 16, 2010 9:12 AM

Oct 2009
Kuromii said:
This episode really got me. I nearly cried nearer the end :/
I almost cried at Filicia walking all in blood but her crying affected me also.....there is also the translation of that soldier....maybe because I have WW2 veterans in my family.

Feb 16, 2010 10:30 AM

Apr 2009
"There can't possibly be any meaning in this world.
But isn't that wonderful in its own right?
Because if there isn't any, we can find our own"

These words got me, I'm proof againist tearful moments, but I've to admit that these words are just beatiful.

Feb 16, 2010 10:36 AM

Apr 2008
Dead Guy is the best character in this show.
Feb 16, 2010 10:52 AM

May 2008
Great episode, I actually cried in the end. Finally we got some background information about Filicia and if you think about it, maybe this whole thing not as fictional as you may think.
Feb 16, 2010 12:07 PM

Mar 2009
"I'm sure there is no meaning in this world.. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own.."

*facepalm* @that quote

even if this anime became what it was supposed to be (for this episode only), it still had too many cheesy lines.

I mean Kanata's "speech" to filicia was wtf? just too much cheese for me. sorry.

this anime will ge on like before till episode 11 or so and then 2 episodes of serious war drama that doesn't conclude anything.
Feb 16, 2010 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
Grimdark?
In my moe?
It's more likely than you think.
Feb 16, 2010 12:34 PM

Nov 2008
Sakurei said:
"I'm sure there is no meaning in this world.. But isn't that wonderful? That means you can find your own.."

*facepalm* @that quote

even if this anime became what it was supposed to be (for this episode only), it still had too many cheesy lines.

I mean Kanata's "speech" to filicia was wtf? just too much cheese for me. sorry.

this anime will ge on like before till episode 11 or so and then 2 episodes of serious war drama that doesn't conclude anything.

I agree. I also feel that the ending will be as you say it is which is obvious thus far.

If, however, they decide to make it epic, my score would jump to 9. Who really gives a damn if it breaks the whole "war drama" bullshit if all it's doing is dragging the score around the "good" range?
Feb 16, 2010 1:03 PM

Oct 2009
I thought that Filicia saying that the world having no meaning was a good thing because then we can make our own was pretty profound, and wow, wasn't expecting this episode at all. Even more questions to be answered now, and it's cool to actually see some of the soldiers have been through stuff, and aren't just girls in uniform for funsies.
Feb 16, 2010 1:39 PM

Sep 2008
Each episode I see of this confirms for me again that this is K-On done right.
As far as I'm concerned, this is K-On season 2

Filling in the backgrounds of the characters, creating the tensions between the characters. Loving it ^_^

Noticed in the opening that Noël and (I think it was)Filicia were wearing the bracelets on the right arm while the others were the left. Wondering if there's a significance to that.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Feb 16, 2010 5:20 PM

Dec 2006
finally "some" serious stuff, this show needs to make that switch to a serious show now !

War, war never changes.

Feb 16, 2010 6:29 PM
Jun 2009
Blackiris said:
"There can't possibly be any meaning in this world.
But isn't that wonderful in its own right?
Because if there isn't any, we can find our own"

These words got me, I'm proof againist tearful moments, but I've to admit that these words are just beatiful.

it didn't made me cry, but yes i did find that quote the best part of the episode...i love it. the whole episode was great though..
Feb 16, 2010 6:41 PM
Dec 2008
best episode yet
Feb 16, 2010 7:31 PM

Oct 2009
Plate said:
Dead Guy is the best character in this show.
Rofl, yeah he was pretty well done, I agree with you.

Feb 17, 2010 2:06 AM

Nov 2008
IT'S LIKE I'M REALLY WATCHING A WAR-RELATED ANIME!

Hope they keep this up, but honestly - it took 7 episodes to get to this. Let's hope that since character development is pretty much done, we can move onto serious business.
Feb 17, 2010 5:49 AM

Oct 2009
OK some bad translation of the anime made me want to check another subber and it helped. Apparently the title of the next episode seems more to me that it will a exercise so it will be left to see. Also does this (subs are different)=>
does it meant that Noel was at the fight of 21 as a kid?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

264 by SX6 »»
Jan 17, 11:28 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SFB - Mar 15, 2010

219 by antoninus_v »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.