Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 21 Discussion

Mar 12, 2017 2:41 PM

Shimada is a true mentor for his juniors, i am glad to see him happy again, and yeah finally Kawamoto sisters scenes, it's so heart warming and touching especially when Hina was talking about her mother, and when she called Rei...

Mar 13, 2017 1:19 AM

This episode is back to its usual self.
Shimada is back back to his hometown
Human Shogi was nice!
Hina & Akari were so engrossed with eating sweets!
4/5.
Shame this series is ending on one more episode! need S2!!!

Mar 13, 2017 8:00 AM

well this chapter was good ..I liked the sisters cut away better.... I guess last episode to go....

Mar 13, 2017 8:24 AM
Ukaku 赫子

Glad to see Shimada smile once in a while! Very sad to see that this is the second last episode, I have loved this series so far and the art is splendid. Nikaidou looked adorable in that shogun outfit and watching the human shogi board getting played out was hilarious :3

Wondering when kyouko will make another appearance and i didn't think they would focus so much of the second last ep to Momo, Akari and Hinata! Very nice to see how they go about thinking of ideas for the sweet shop
“You choose to be hurt rather than to hurt others, right?
You’re nice and wonderful.
But while it seems like you are choosing both,
you’re really forsaking both.”

Mar 13, 2017 10:26 AM

Is 22 the last episode? Or is there going to be another season?

I've been trying to look for a reason in the sudden change in main characters in the latest episodes, because Shimada took over Rei and that shouldn't have happened. The amount of episodes dedicated to Shimada sure have been heartwarming and very touching, but I preferred when Rei was the main point of this story. Came across this show expecting to raise my interest in shogi, but I discovered it makes me sleep when I try to understand it. Guess this show wasn't my cup of tea, even if Shinbou is directing it.

I would say it was too "japanese style" focused. Rei's sister and his whole deal with Gotou should've had more screentime, that got old fast. I am not saying Shimada is a bad character (one of my favorite voice actors) but Rei as a character lost importance when he appeared. Hoping they close out nicely this show, even though I didn't like it as much as when it began.

Mar 13, 2017 10:35 AM

Didn't really care about 1st part coz I don't know shogi and Shimada sounds kinda like.....constipated?? The Kawamoto sisters are the SoL parts I really adore in this show.

Mar 13, 2017 12:28 PM

I kind of expected with the Lion Tournament over, we'd get nothing but character development/ slice of life for the last two episodes. So the human shogi was a fun surprise. The beginning of the episode in fact show cased a lot of the shogi world characters. And showed a lot of the fun activities shogi fans can do at festivals. I liked the President trying to weasel out of playing the old shogi otakus. And Nikaidou all dressed up and having fun with the human shogi. I wish they'd shown a little bit more of that. Like what do they do when they take another piece? Seems like they're setting up another season. Based off Shimada rallying himself for the future at the end. I know the manga continues and with but one episode remaining, it feels safe to say I'd watch another series.

It's inevitable we'd see more of the sisters in this episode right? I almost wish Kiriyama had arrived at their house a little earlier. Other than Hina visiting his apartment a few episodes back, he hasn't interacted with them very much at all this cour. But hey maybe that's what we're getting next time. And honestly one of the best parts of the sisters, is just when they're gushing about some random food that they're making. And this is quite possibly the last time we'll see that until an as yet unconfirmed future series. Plus I got a big laugh out of Momo suggesting gum filling in the rice treats, and beaten down grandpa insanely agreeing.

On a final note just because I see this so much in the forums. This show is about shogi. There are a million slice of life, heart warming melodramas out there. If you don't care about shogi, go watch those. Shogi is a fascinating game (honestly way more interesting than chess), and not terribly hard to understand at its core. Like I only watched this because I love Shaft, I didn't know shit about shogi. But I read about it online because it interested me. And now I like it, and even play it sometimes with my friend who owns a shogi board. Have a little intellectual curiosity, get outside your comfort zone. The second half of this series would probably reward you more if you took the ten minutes to read how shogi works online (I'd say the shogi cats episode explained it perfectly but maybe that's just because I already knew how it worked).
Modified by SubscriberSun, Mar 13, 2017 12:34 PM

Mar 13, 2017 4:53 PM

I was grinning like an idiot during the last half of the episode. I sorely missed the sisters and enjoyed their process of helping to come up with a new dessert design.

Mar 14, 2017 6:53 AM

Aww that ending was so cute!!

Mar 14, 2017 9:25 AM

What a heartwarming episode! Seeing Shimada interact with everyone in his village was really nice to see :') Especially even Rei saying how happy he was XD The human shogi looks really interesting too :O They even dressed up! :D Focus on the sister in the last half with Hina helping out and coming up with a snowman idea for their sweet shop. Dang that looks pretty good :P Nice of her to want to help out her grandpa run the shop too. Of course we get a nice reunion with Rei finally! Anyway I can't believe there's only one episode left, I'm gonna miss this show when it's over :( Hope they give us a good ending episode! :D

Mar 15, 2017 1:09 AM

Finally see more from the sisters.
Good episode as always. Ending on a pretty mellow and uneventful note it seems like.

Mar 15, 2017 8:49 AM
Mich666 said:
First half = it's okay, I guess, but I can't feel it. Kinda meh. 5/10
Second half = great part, sisters are back and contemplation on new sweets was great! 8/10

As I was saying before, it's like two different shows in one anime, one has boring shounen-like style with MC being more of an observer than protagonist lately (lot of 'Am I good enough?' insecurites included) and another is touching slice-of-life full of little everyday's pleasures and difficulties (counting Kyouko too).

Should the original story moved shogi battles more to the background it would be for the best.
Lol that one sentence ''We won't ever change'' was one of the best moments from the whole series, so I'm not sure how you weren't moved a lil' bit :)

Mar 15, 2017 3:36 PM

Shimada is a saint... Seeing the sisters was also a bliss.

Mar 16, 2017 8:59 AM

another nice episode, to enjoy!!!
The Human Shogi was spectacular, only to think how could be in the real life...incredible!!!
The desserts, snowmans lucky, was a very interesting idea...i am hungry!!! i want one!! kekekeke

Hello, my litte boy!

Mar 17, 2017 6:16 PM

Heh. Silly and fun episode. Sucks that tomorrow is the last...

Mar 18, 2017 5:38 AM
Any one know the name of the enka song that shimada sing it when he was leaving the train station?

Mar 18, 2017 11:51 PM

The sisters are back!! Yay!!!

Mar 19, 2017 3:23 PM

Rei x Hina foreshadowing is strong in this episode!

Mar 21, 2017 3:44 PM

Lmao that bit where they asked Momo for ideas and she said gum and the way everyone reacted was hilarious
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.

Mar 22, 2017 11:00 AM
Shingster

After such a heavy series of episodes for the lion king tournament its nice to be back to a more relaxing one for this episode. Its true that there's nothing more relaxing than eating when the weather is nice and the cheery blossoms are out. Hina's description of Shogi though lol. Lol the melody that's being played in the station sure sounds sad. Quite appropriate given the events though. Its sad that Shimada didn't live up to the hopes of the towns people though but he did try and fought hard for it. Hmm so the in Shimada's hometown is a festival where they dress in samurai Armour to reenact Shogi pieces eh. Well for the most part it seems that the town has other things to worry about than berating him for losing. Still being berated for being a rain bringer is one thing that he has to bear eh. Nikaido looks good in that outfit though. The human shogi tournament eh lol. Using Humans as shogi pieces and using that as a game eh. Quite interesting actually. Quite the interesting game though and its nice to see Nikaido trash his opponent lol. Lol the chairmen trying to run away while lumping responsibility on to Rei. Hmm the 100 moves event is really a host of shogi players playing against the visitors eh. Still this is a great learning experience for the participants though. Shimada looks pretty happy to be back at home though. Shimada really has done a lot for the people of the town. Its nice that in the end no one blamed him for the loss. After all he did do his best to beat Souya.

Thinking of new food ideas to sell for the seasons is always hard. Its nice seeing both Hina and Akari work so hard to help as well. Both have some good ideas for the new food item though. Whipped cream in traditional Japanese sweets doesn't sound like a good idea. But you have to admit that Hina's got some good ideas. Lol Akari and Hina are the sweet shop though. They want something cheap but keep finding things that are sweeter but slightly more expensive. In the end they ended up having it with all the toppings lol. And more expensive as well lol. You spent that much on snacks that could have been spent on food that could have lasted the family for 5 days lol. Sweet shops truly are traps lol. Lol in the end they had to rely on Momo for the final say and her idea was unexpected to say the least. Lol thinking of the filling for Japanese sweets that could make them stand out really is daunting eh. Hmm the eventual idea sure looks pretty cute. And pretty simple to make as well. Its too bad that their mother isn't here to see how they grown really. Puffy Puffy Daruma though is quite the cute name. Hina and Rei are pretty cute sometimes. The last scene was pretty cute. Momo as ever is so cute especially when she saw Rei appear. Hina's wish is simple but well worth it i think.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 24, 2017 8:31 AM

Ah that ending scene was so beautiful...

Apr 6, 2017 1:52 PM

That human shogi was fantastic and that ending was completely adorable :3 really loved it! Let's see what the last episode has to offer!

Jun 10, 2017 1:47 AM

Ahhh another boring episode..

Oct 20, 2017 11:45 AM

Eheheheh! From my parts I saw the living crib or living chess, I'm not surprised that there is the living Shogi. Too fun the story section with the three sisters. <3 <3

Mar 3, 2018 8:07 AM

huh except the ending, this ep felt like filler to me.

Sep 25, 2018 5:17 PM

Playing Shogi with actual people as the shogi pieces sounds awesome.

"It's gonna be scary but you should pass through" This guy sounded like he was singing to the music in the background.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.

Jan 2, 9:31 PM

nice calm episode after all that tournament shogi, i liked it.
when the elders keep calling shimada "kai", i know it's his name, but i cant help thinking "egg", since the pronunciation for "kai" means "egg" in thai.

Feb 23, 10:17 AM
I've come to seriously dislike Nikaido. However, the first part was okay, nice to see Shimada in a good mood after the shogi finals.

The second one was heartwarming: Rei x Hina???? And Momo wanted to eat the cat???

Mar 28, 1:24 PM

Who can resist sweets? I can't!
Shimada is ok now, phew, I was worried.

Jun 7, 11:24 PM

This track from the OST has been playing the past few episodes. I think it's really awesome, so if you've also been looking, here you go.

Man, Nikaidou is really rocking the outfit. The other guy whose name I've already forgotten didn't look too bad either, I guess. I'm not sure what the differences between Human Shogi and regular shogi were that Shimada mentioned, but Nikaidou won, so I'm not complaining. 100 person shogi looks really fun. It's pretty funny that a former Meijin is afraid of the old people from Yamagata. We also got a tiny little dessert arc with Hina. Now I really want something sugary. I can relate to ordering every single topping on a dessert. Those snowmen look really good. One more episode!

Oct 4, 5:56 AM

Shimada is too good a person, helping the elderly from living in solitude

Wholesome scene with the sweets, they should have gone with the gum as the genius Momo suggested...
Konichiwa fellow weebs
Noot Noot, mah brothas
Hee zeg makker

Oct 15, 5:20 PM

Shimada's hometown is so lively! I like the human shogi. Looks fun.. I thought they will fight for real because they have katana haha

Shimada is so kind! I love him ❤

Mwahahahahha Momo says "gum" and it's so cute!!!!!!!
It's been a longgg time since Rei came to their house! It's really heartwarming to watch him with 3 sisters :)
月が綺麗ですね ❤️

死んでもいいわ ...

Pages (2) « 1 [2]