Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 8, 2017 8:59 AM

Dec 2015
I feel bad for hoping they'd learn their lesson with the 2016 anime, time to remove it from my PTW list.

joe_g7Mar 31, 2017 6:15 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 8, 2017 9:05 AM

Jul 2013
that shit looks so bad :I

why cant it be like gits2 complex cgi, that was pretty good. (i know it wasn't entirely cgi, but when it was, it was good)

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Mar 8, 2017 9:07 AM

Sep 2016
CGI like Gantz:O would be really good
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 8, 2017 9:17 AM

Apr 2015
Everyone still seems to forget that the studio doesn't have the money for a normal adaption, and most of the major people on the team don't have the needed experience.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
TenshoMar 10, 2017 3:16 AM
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 8, 2017 9:22 AM

Dec 2015
InsaneLeader13 said:
Everyone still seems to forget that the studio doesn't have the money for a normal adaption, and most of the major people on the team don't have the needed experience.
Then how about NOT making an adaptation at all?
Mar 8, 2017 9:27 AM

Apr 2015
joe_g7 said:
InsaneLeader13 said:
Then how about NOT making an adaptation at all?

'It's not the way I want it, so don't make it. Screw any reasoning or results.'

Shocking as it might be, this series has been relatively noteworthy for introducing more casual anime viewers into the Berserk Manga. Since the 2016 series aired, I've had plenty of 'friends' who only watch a handful of shows suddenly raving about the series, and have since gone back to pick up the source material. And that's what these types of anime are designed to do anyway, introduce people to the source material.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 8, 2017 9:35 AM

Dec 2015
Shocking as it might be, this series has been relatively noteworthy for introducing more casual anime viewers into the Berserk Manga. Since the 2016 series aired, I've had plenty of 'friends' who only watch a handful of shows suddenly raving about the series, and have since gone back to pick up the source material. And that's what these types of anime are designed to do anyway, introduce people to the source material.
At least something good came out of it, glad to hear that.

Mod Edit: Removed quote and response to an edited post.
TenshoMar 10, 2017 3:17 AM
Mar 8, 2017 9:40 AM

May 2012
Don't care. It looks fine and I will enjoy it. Berserk is good regardless of animation they use

I hope the haters don't spam the forums just like they did in season1. You don't like it don't watch it.
Mar 8, 2017 9:43 AM

Dec 2015
thepath said:
Don't care. It looks fine and I will enjoy it. Berserk is good regardless of animation they use

I hope the haters don't spam the forums just like they did in season1. You don't like it don't watch it.
Even though I dislike the way the series is treated, I still agree with you, I hate how they're doing the adaptations, but I won't go hating other people for liking it. I simply won't watch it.
Mar 8, 2017 10:18 AM

Nov 2014
Looks ugly but tbh I don't care that much. Everything else was good enough for me to enjoy S1, so I'll probably enjoy S2 too.
Mar 8, 2017 3:15 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
It's only 10 second long so I don't want to complain, but those 10 seconds are ugly af... just what I expected. Honestly, I thought that the 2016 adaptation was a decent anime. It was a terrible adaptation of an outstanding manga, which made the overall result being alright. As long as the music is top-notch, the voice acting in on-point and if the series has a couple of badass hand-drawn stills like the previous season, I'll at least be able to get something out of this adaptation.
Mar 8, 2017 5:43 PM

Sep 2015
Can´t wait for more CLANG.
"You're a hero... and you have to leave."
Mar 8, 2017 5:46 PM

Mar 2015
Griffith looked pretty neat tho
Mar 8, 2017 6:10 PM

Dec 2012
I will watch it but I will do it with blood dripping from my eyes. Now we're talking about Berserk so maybe this is the point (y'know, BLOOD). Guts would be so proud of me.
Mar 8, 2017 7:16 PM
Mar 2017
InsaneLeader13 said:

But whatever, gotta keep those fanboy tears flowing. You guys really don't know what you've got, do you?

Will im not a fan of the style i cant stand it and i dont wanna watch it for that reason. I would do the same if a new natuto or dragon ball series came out with this look
Mar 8, 2017 8:06 PM

Dec 2015
InsaneLeader13 said:
THANK YOU, YOUR THE ONLY SMART PERSON IN THIS POST

Mod Edit: Modified quote of an edited post.
TenshoMar 10, 2017 3:18 AM
hi
Mar 8, 2017 9:58 PM
Oct 2014
How I feel about this:

Mar 9, 2017 7:28 PM
Oct 2015
Awwwww...
Did they ruin your anime adaptation, again?

Honestly though, the directors and the staff said that they will take the responses from fans into consideration when making this season, and who knows, maybe the studio will use conventional animation for most scenes(remember kingdom 2)
Mar 9, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2015
Lord_Nutella said:
Awwwww...
Did they ruin your anime adaptation, again?

Honestly though, the directors and the staff said that they will take the responses from fans into consideration when making this season, and who knows, maybe the studio will use conventional animation for most scenes(remember kingdom 2)
I really hope you're right, but let's be honest here, if they really listened to the fan feedback, then there wouldn't be a second season, at least not with the same "quality animation".
Mar 16, 2017 1:41 AM

Jan 2014
I was really hoping they'd get the damn memo, and simply switch over to actual animation, but nope, they just used even WORSE CGI. Done with this adaption, it's an absolute disgrace.
Mar 16, 2017 8:55 AM

Sep 2016

SUGOOIIII CGI!!!!!
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 16, 2017 2:23 PM

Aug 2016
Man, I love Berserk, and few mangaka are as talented as Miura, but god damn, I can't support such a brutal insult to the franchise. And it extends beyond the aesthetics, too. The pacing may just as well be as bad as it was in (2016).

What a let down, really. I had this delusion that perhaps they'd re-focus, but clearly they just want to milk the series for what they can. Only way these animators will get the message is if we don't support their content.

I want to believe we're all just overreacting, as this is but a minor clip, but I hold no expectation that the fully released anime will be anything worth the name of Berserk. Sad how Guts' gets screwed not only in his universe but ours as well.
Mar 17, 2017 11:15 PM
Nov 2007
For all of the complaints I don't really see many people asking the obvious questions.. that is, why Berserk being as legendary as it is can't seem to secure a decent quality adaptation.

Is it not considered suitable content for a profitable anime?

Or is it that everyone in Japan already knows about Berserk and thus they can't expect a sharp increase of manga sales by advertising it with an anime?

Clearly with this level of shoddiness there is a real financial interest issue going on. To the point that a studio like this was actually able to secure the contract Berserk must not really be considered a high value franchise outside of its manga.
Mar 18, 2017 1:41 AM

Dec 2015
Valduran said:
For all of the complaints I don't really see many people asking the obvious questions.. that is, why Berserk being as legendary as it is can't seem to secure a decent quality adaptation.

Is it not considered suitable content for a profitable anime?

Or is it that everyone in Japan already knows about Berserk and thus they can't expect a sharp increase of manga sales by advertising it with an anime?

Clearly with this level of shoddiness there is a real financial interest issue going on. To the point that a studio like this was actually able to secure the contract Berserk must not really be considered a high value franchise outside of its manga.
If you ask that question here on MAL you will get a shit storm of trolls and spammers. Also, you can only hypothesize what the reason is that Berserk doesn't get a good adaptation. Is it too risky for the Japanese companies? Is the art too hard to be transformed faithfully into animation? Lack of interest? Etc etc
Mar 18, 2017 2:54 AM

Mar 2016
Does Cgi cost less money to make?Or is it much easier than the regular 2D animation we see in all the other anime? 1st season was bearable but this... i really don't know what to say... will watch this once it's done airing...
Mar 18, 2017 3:22 AM

Dec 2015
littlegiant9330 said:
Does Cgi cost less money to make?Or is it much easier than the regular 2D animation we see in all the other anime? 1st season was bearable but this... i really don't know what to say... will watch this once it's done airing...
Depends on the quality of CGI, in this case (which is cheap and ugly af) yes it is cheaper to use CGI since you make a 3D model of the character and you simply need to move the camera and the limbs to use it in another scene. 2D is basically drawings that cannot be re-used in other scenes most of the times, thus the studio would need thousands of drawings for one season, but when you have the 3D models, you make it once and just do what I said above.

TL;DR: Yes it is cheaper to use CGI because unlike 2D drawings, you can re-use the 3D CGI models again and again.
(This was a rough explanation)
Mar 19, 2017 10:15 AM

Nov 2007
Why not just remake the original with continuing story... Like Hunter x Hunter 2011
The manga is the best rated manga on MAL. I see no reason not to remake the 1997 anime
Mar 21, 2017 6:01 AM
Nov 2011
Why not just utilize the technique of the old anime adaptations and use a lot of stills and get actually good animators to do the rest ? I don't think it would garner less sales than this atrocity.
Mar 25, 2017 3:25 AM

Dec 2015
Mixernix said:
So what is it that u drop anime because of? Animation? Sound quality? Voice actors? Regardless I will watch it. As a casual I wont understand all the complaints.
Imagine your favorite series -who's adaptation you've been waiting for very very long- getting released in this quality. How would you feel? Happy that that they're destroying it like it's no big deal??
Mar 25, 2017 4:43 PM

Dec 2015
Mixernix said:
joe_g7 said:
Imagine your favorite series -who's adaptation you've been waiting for very very long- getting released in this quality. How would you feel? Happy that that they're destroying it like it's no big deal??

I don't rlly care about the quality, that opinion might change when I get chance to experience something like this.
Unlike you, I care when my anime looks like trash.
Still tho animation style is better than that from 1997.
I don't think I have anything more to say to you after this, nice joke.
Mar 31, 2017 1:20 AM
Feb 2015
no FUCKING STOP THIS IT LOOKS SO SHITTY AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHh
Mar 31, 2017 3:23 AM

Oct 2012
[quote=joe_g7 message=49913124]
thepath said:
I won't go hating other people for liking it.

You make it sound like you sometimes do "go hating other people for liking something". Please don't.
Mar 31, 2017 6:10 PM

Dec 2015
@myyrc No, I meant that people do that, they hate others for liking a series they don't, but I won't.
Apr 1, 2017 6:35 AM
Dec 2014
How can they release such horribly drawn ad?

Japanese don't give a shit?
Sabotage?

I am out of ideas.
Apr 1, 2017 8:02 AM

Nov 2007
-Terpsichore- said:
arnxx said:
Why not just remake the original with continuing story... Like Hunter x Hunter 2011
The manga is the best rated manga on MAL. I see no reason not to remake the 1997 anime

There's one very simple reason, there's no money for that.

Most anime shows do not work like Western TV, they do not exist to make money themselves because almost none of them can, they instead exist to promote things that do make money like a manga series.

It just happens to be that the Berserk manga is published in a shitty magazine that doesn't move too many numbers and they are the ones paying for this adaptation as an advertisement for the manga, if it's so shitty it's quite simply because they can't afford anything better.

So basically think of the Berserk manga as a store you own and the anime adaptation as advertisement you pay for it, it just happens to be that all you could afford was paying a local hobo to carry a sign with your store's name in it.

Well that explains a lot thanks. I can understand people won't buy anime anymore but do buy manga/suscribe to manga zines. I never bought any anime myself but have bought a lot of manga

But.. Still they could promote the manga series. Or is it popular enough so they don't need it? I pointed out earlier Hunter X Hunter had a very good remake. Is it because the magazine that publishes hxh has more money?
Apr 1, 2017 12:50 PM

Dec 2015
genk1sudo said:
How can they release such horribly drawn ad?

Japanese don't give a shit?
Sabotage?

I am out of ideas.
The anime itself is like that, not just the ad.
Apr 1, 2017 12:58 PM

Jan 2017
Pretty sure that PS4 game had better graphics than this shit. It's time to stop.
zumacApr 1, 2017 1:01 PM
Apr 3, 2017 5:32 AM
Oct 2016
How is there a season 2?
Apr 3, 2017 10:15 AM
May 2012
i like the way the berserk anime 2016 version looked
i do believe doing the anime more like the golden age movies would have been more appealing to the manga reading fans
Apr 4, 2017 2:01 AM

Nov 2016
CGI is not so easy to watch. During Berserk 2016, still watching, it's difficult to understand the fight. In fact since first epidose, I said: "the hell is this?". But the plot of the series is good, so it captures you and it brings you to continue to watch it. This is what happen to me.
In any case I hope is the same thing in 2017, that the plot is so strong to chain up you. When you like something and you like what it says, the means doesn't care. In this case is the graphics. It's Berserk, c'mon!
Apr 5, 2017 7:56 PM
Apr 2015

'It's not the way I want it, so don't make it. Screw any reasoning or results.'

more like 'it's not the way virtually everyone wants it, so make it the way virtually everyone wants, instead.' - that would yield better results for almost everyone, and is actually reasonable.

derp.
Apr 6, 2017 9:05 PM
Jan 2016
Have to keep in mind that the studio spent a considerable amount of time and resources in redrawing a ton of scenes for the BD release of S1 due to the poor reception in Japan; the 2D staff is probably going into S2 feeling a bit overworked and relying on the 3D team to pick up the slack.
Apr 8, 2017 2:23 AM

Dec 2015
Slim1795 said:
CGI is not so easy to watch. During Berserk 2016, still watching, it's difficult to understand the fight. In fact since first epidose, I said: "the hell is this?". But the plot of the series is good, so it captures you and it brings you to continue to watch it. This is what happen to me.
In any case I hope is the same thing in 2017, that the plot is so strong to chain up you. When you like something and you like what it says, the means doesn't care. In this case is the graphics. It's Berserk, c'mon!
That's the fault of bad directing, there are a bunch of videos on youtube analyzing that.

MysteriousBanana said:
Have to keep in mind that the studio spent a considerable amount of time and resources in redrawing a ton of scenes for the BD release of S1 due to the poor reception in Japan; the 2D staff is probably going into S2 feeling a bit overworked and relying on the 3D team to pick up the slack.
If I'm not mistaken almost every BD release get "upgraded" animation, and no, drawing up a few scenes is hardly over working when they've barely done any of that in the anime, so I doubt they're exhausted or some other bull. It's the leastest of the least anyone buying those BD's deserves.
Apr 8, 2017 3:04 AM
Sep 2016
joe_g7 said:
Slim1795 said:
That's the fault of bad directing, there are a bunch of videos on youtube analyzing that.

MysteriousBanana said:
If I'm not mistaken almost every BD release get "upgraded" animation, and no, drawing up a few scenes is hardly over working when they've barely done any of that in the anime, so I doubt they're exhausted or some other bull. It's the leastest of the least anyone buying those BD's deserves.

Actually maybe just the 2% of the anime in a season have in their BDs redrawn scenes, excluding ecchi anime of course.

Like other people pointed out, the one you should blame are not the collab of studios that are animating this but Hakusensha for paying them very very little.
Ever wondered why nobody did a Berserk anime adaptation since now? That's because nobody could meet the budget Hakusensha was willingly to cough up.
Now there's a joint who's willingly to, so either watch this and cry blood like any other Miura fan or avoid it like ebola.

And I'll even say this, Berserk is in this shitty situation because it gets serialised in a shitty magazine.
poosh_inkApr 8, 2017 3:09 AM
Apr 8, 2017 3:22 AM

Dec 2015
Jaa81102423 said:
joe_g7 said:

Actually maybe just the 2% of the anime in a season have in their BDs redrawn scenes, excluding ecchi anime of course.
I'm highly doubting that number, do you have a source or something that I could read?

Like other people pointed out, the one you should blame are not the collab of studios that are animating this but Hakusensha for paying them very very little.

Ever wondered why nobody did a Berserk anime adaptation since now? That's because nobody could meet the budget Hakusensha was willingly to cough up.
I can understand that, but still, the first mistake was accepting to make an anime with a super small budget, and the second mistake was actually making it.

Now there's a joint who's willingly to, so either watch this and cry blood like any other Miura fan or avoid it like ebola.
Even though it looks shit, I'm still tempted cause it's Berserk.
Apr 8, 2017 3:28 AM

Dec 2015
Jaa81102423 said:
joe_g7 said:
I'm highly doubting that number, do you have a source or something that I could read?

Sadly no, just my experience.
I can understand that, but still, the first mistake was accepting to make an anime with a super small budget, and the second mistake was actually making it.

Even though it looks shit, I'm still tempted cause it's Berserk.

I felt the same when I had approached s1, but in the end this is possibly the only adaptation of the manga we will ever get so I embraced the CGI, plus Iwanaga Hiroaki is doing one hell of a job as Guts.
Yeah, with that I have to agree, I love Guts's voice!
Apr 8, 2017 3:38 AM
Sep 2016

joe_g7 said:

Sadly no, only my own experience.
I can understand that, but still, the first mistake was accepting to make an anime with a super small budget, and the second mistake was actually making it.[/quote]
From the studios' point of view this is a good chance, they are making money and got one hell of brand, which if they were to pay for it will never ever offer enough to get, if anything you could say that Hakusensha failed twice because this is clearly bad advertasing for its best manga.

Think this way: this is probably the only adaptation we will ever get of Berserk so it's still better than nothing, plus Iwanaga Hiroaki is doing one hell of a job voicing Guts.

EDIT: RIP my internet crashed and I double posted.
poosh_inkApr 8, 2017 3:46 AM
Apr 8, 2017 6:39 AM
Jan 2016
joe_g7 said:

Yes, that's true, but if those BD sneak peeks are any indicator, it looks like they're completely redoing every non-action scene in 2D. I've never seen a BD release have that extensive a touch-up, at most they redo frames that had production errors or remove censorship (which are really a post-production edits they just undo).

Reason I said they might be going in exhausted is because of the timing. If you'll suffer an analogy, it's like procrastinating on a term project until the week before finals, just because you didn't do anything for most of the semester doesn't mean you won't be going into the finals haggard; similarly the 2D team didn't do much for the S1 TV release, but they're definitely putting in a lot of effort into the BD release, and now they have to work on S2 after what must be a much shorter break than usual).
Apr 8, 2017 7:04 AM

Dec 2015
MysteriousBanana said:
joe_g7 said:

Yes, that's true, but if those BD sneak peeks are any indicator, it looks like they're completely redoing every non-action scene in 2D. I've never seen a BD release have that extensive a touch-up, at most they redo frames that had production errors or remove censorship (which are really a post-production edits they just undo).
It's good that at least in the BD release there will be some nice 2D scenes.

Reason I said they might be going in exhausted is because of the timing. If you'll suffer an analogy, it's like procrastinating on a term project until the week before finals, just because you didn't do anything for most of the semester doesn't mean you won't be going into the finals haggard; similarly the 2D team didn't do much for the S1 TV release, but they're definitely putting in a lot of effort into the BD release, and now they have to work on S2 after what must be a much shorter break than usual).
Still the 2D that they did for the first season was probably not even half of what other anime normally get. They have to do less drawings but with a faster pace. Sounds pretty normal to me.
Apr 8, 2017 7:21 AM
Jan 2016
joe_g7 said:
Still the 2D that they did for the first season was probably not even half of what other anime normally get. They have to do less drawings but with a faster pace. Sounds pretty normal to me.

Oh, no, they're not redoing the 2D scenes with better 2D, they're redoing many of the 3D scenes with 2D. Given how few scenes were actually 2D, that's almost like remaking the entire anime from scratch with the added challenge of having to deal with the director's insane camerawork.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

85 by Revanant1999 »»
Jan 25, 12:46 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Jan 20, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2017

65 by KonokoAsada »»
Nov 5, 2023 2:08 PM

Poll: » Berserk 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

102 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 18, 2023 1:02 AM

» 3rd season?

Arddaa52 - Jul 5, 2021

19 by Amirsalar88 »»
Jul 15, 2023 9:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.