Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 6, 2017 6:41 PM

Nov 2011
When it started I thought it was going to be some humorous fillerish episode but it ended up taking a emotional turn towards the end, it was very cute.
It's always nice to see a past regret getting solved, it eases my heart.
Baby, daijobanai...
Mar 6, 2017 7:02 PM

May 2016
Wait, if the man/dad was the bell ringer then why is he dressed like a pirate.
Did the Headmistress not only buy a boot that can be used as a hat, she bought a singular one. Not a pair, a boot.
Nice to see Chumlee return. It is my headcanon that he is an all powerful wizard especially due to him being the only magical dude in this show so far to my knowledge.
Forget Diana, Akko has the power of 「CRAZY DIAMOND」.
TakenMalUsernameMar 6, 2017 7:11 PM
Mar 6, 2017 8:07 PM
Feb 2017
JustDan said:
Zelev said:

Lol damn, I think you just spoiled the show for everyone xD

No spoilers. Just a fan theory. I promise.

With LWA being a 24 episode (2 cour) season, the plot/conflict might show up at the mid-season point. However, if the show remains episodic...I won't mind. There's still a ton of missing character development for Professor Ursula and Diana.

Despite the episodic nature, I noticed another pattern in the show. The Witches attempting to peacefully bargain with Fafnir, he doesn't repent and wants to smooch them off their Academy. The Witches behaved nicely and grovelling over the Earl of Hanbridge, the Earl plans on putting them all in debt.

When Akko do something silly, she gets rewarded for her efforts. Helping Lotte meet her idol, touching Fafnir's heart with her beliefs, giving Andrew a new perspective on magic, saving endangered wildlife and give the Academy great publicity and allowing Halbrooke to spent time with her father.

Say what you want about Akko but to be honest in the long run, Akko's antics proved to be helpful in the future.
Mar 6, 2017 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
that brief family reunion was nice sweet and cute
Mar 6, 2017 9:29 PM

Jan 2014
Despite the episodic nature, I noticed another pattern in the show. The Witches attempting to peacefully bargain with Fafnir, he doesn't repent and wants to smooch them off their Academy. The Witches behaved nicely and grovelling over the Earl of Hanbridge, the Earl plans on putting them all in debt.

When Akko do something silly, she gets rewarded for her efforts. Helping Lotte meet her idol, touching Fafnir's heart with her beliefs, giving Andrew a new perspective on magic, saving endangered wildlife and give the Academy great publicity and allowing Halbrooke to spent time with her father.

Say what you want about Akko but to be honest in the long run, Akko's antics proved to be helpful in the future.

I like Akko's character. It feels like the show tells you what kind of character she is through the other characters. Diana's characterization of Akko in Episode 5 was on point. "She acts without proper thought... who troubles everyone around her and may one day turn her friends away because they're unwilling to put up with her". However, despite that, people like Sucy stick with her because Akko is still a very caring person and "we never get bored when she's around" (Episode 7).

It may also be that I'm a sadist who derives enjoyment from Akko's failings and humiliation. That's something Sucy and I share too.
Mar 6, 2017 10:32 PM

Dec 2014
20Ani17Analyzer said:

Most of these scenarios are only helpful out of sheer coincidence. Praising her actions is like saying the reason someone does something is irrelevant to the end result. For an extreme example, would you praise a drunk driver who just happened to crash into someone's home, injuring a man who held some people hostage?
I need sleep.
Mar 7, 2017 12:47 AM
Feb 2017
lonelytree said:
20Ani17Analyzer said:

Most of these scenarios are only helpful out of sheer coincidence. Praising her actions is like saying the reason someone does something is irrelevant to the end result. For an extreme example, would you praise a drunk driver who just happened to crash into someone's home, injuring a man who held some people hostage?

If you want to be going to that kind of direction but from my point of view, some of Akko's antics are pretty tamed. The only time I do need to question her actions was getting the stone back, dragging Andrew into all of this and nearly getting Professor Pisces killed.

Even with out of those, I do sympathize a lot of her character. She's just desperate to become her idol and she does actually regretted about most of her actions. And while Diana resolved the stone situation, It's Akko who ended the tension on nice terms.

In the end, we just have to be patient.
Mar 7, 2017 1:01 AM
Jul 2011
More worldbuilding.
So the industrial revolution was in this world was was triggered by magic.
Mar 7, 2017 6:36 AM

Jan 2013
_Kairu_ said:
So bringing people back to life is so damn easy with magic. Why?

Isn't it obvious?
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Mar 7, 2017 7:40 AM

Jul 2013
My least favorite episode so far. The skeleton acting like Jar Jar Binks on Ritalin annoyed me to no end. At least the ending calmed down and was a point to it. But like some other posters on here, I wish this series would develop more of plot because I really want to like it. It's relying too heavily on gimmicks and wacky behavior, IMO.
Mar 7, 2017 3:07 PM

Sep 2015
Wow that was a really unexpected and fun episode. At first I thought they were just going full dark humor when Akko and Sucy accidentally revived a corpse. But ended up being a heart warming story, that unfolded as it went along, and gave us some unexpected back story on the Headmistress. Like maybe shouldn't have been too unexpected after the beginning. But the Headmistress has also had a lot of random scenes throughout the show. And not turned out to be the focus of the episode.

Still I can't believe she boned them like that at the end. After they faced being cast into witch hell, in order to give her and her Dad closure. The flying on the bell thing was a bit much too. But kind of funny. Also find it interesting that Akko's gotten like cheat powder so she's not completely worthless at magic now. That should change things up a little. And I found the Headmistress and Ursula's interaction while looking at everyone's amulets kind of interesting too. Cool little episode. Unexpected plot, lot of laughs, can't ask for much more out of this show.
Mar 7, 2017 7:07 PM

Aug 2015
SHINOBI-03 said:
_Kairu_ said:
So bringing people back to life is so damn easy with magic. Why?

Isn't it obvious?
You would think such a big taboo would be more difficult to accomplish but it feels like they made it so damn so simple for the sake of the plot.
Mar 7, 2017 7:21 PM
Oct 2012
20Ani17Analyzer said:

Well said. The overarching theme is that the world has become a dreary boring place, and the witches are helping it to become that way because deep down they think its true that magic has no point. But that is what magic should be for, to make the world a more interesting place.

And Akko, in breaking the rules that have made magic irrelevant, is going a long way towards redeeming magic. My guess is that the plot as it continues to develop (didn't realize this is 24 episodes long) is that the Earl of Hanbridge is part of a ploy to eliminate magic, because it gets in the way of their profit making (don't need industries if Witches can do it).

So all good. Akko is learning, and in learning she is restoring every one's faith in magic, the plot will turn when she becomes, step by step, too efficient in re-popularizing magic.
Mar 7, 2017 8:36 PM
Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
20Ani17Analyzer said:

Well said. The overarching theme is that the world has become a dreary boring place, and the witches are helping it to become that way because deep down they think its true that magic has no point. But that is what magic should be for, to make the world a more interesting place.

And Akko, in breaking the rules that have made magic irrelevant, is going a long way towards redeeming magic. My guess is that the plot as it continues to develop (didn't realize this is 24 episodes long) is that the Earl of Hanbridge is part of a ploy to eliminate magic, because it gets in the way of their profit making (don't need industries if Witches can do it).

So all good. Akko is learning, and in learning she is restoring every one's faith in magic, the plot will turn when she becomes, step by step, too efficient in re-popularizing magic.

Yeah I could see that happening. However I am on the way to that, I am calling it, Diana is going to be betrothed to Andrew as part of last ditch effort to appease the Earl. I know in this type of show, political marriage plot line can sound boring, but still it makes sense.
Mar 7, 2017 9:48 PM
Oct 2012
blfan said:
I am calling it, Diana is going to be betrothed to Andrew as part of last ditch effort to appease the Earl. I know in this type of show, political marriage plot line can sound boring, but still it makes sense.

I can easily see that, though neither will want it. But "clan" politics trump personal concerns in Japan. But Akko will, as she does everything else, blow that away and she will force everyone to admit that the marriage is wrong. Diana is destined to be Akko (i.e Anne's) best friend, Andrew is Gilbert.
Mar 8, 2017 2:10 AM
Oct 2011
So predictable and boring.

Cleviojr said:
(EP 9 Spoiler)What was that F in the end when the undead died? Haven't I paid attention to something? Thanks.
It's a poor attempt to make the story of the headmistress emotional even though the exposition was awful. It probably means that he was now with his wife together in the afterlife or something, but it made no sense because of how bad it's written.
Mar 8, 2017 6:01 AM
Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
blfan said:
I am calling it, Diana is going to be betrothed to Andrew as part of last ditch effort to appease the Earl. I know in this type of show, political marriage plot line can sound boring, but still it makes sense.

I can easily see that, though neither will want it. But "clan" politics trump personal concerns in Japan. But Akko will, as she does everything else, blow that away and she will force everyone to admit that the marriage is wrong. Diana is destined to be Akko (i.e Anne's) best friend, Andrew is Gilbert.

Yup and because Little Witch Acadamia is more for a younger or family audience. It would be Andrew, but if it was another show like Gundam or Geass, it would probably be the Earl himself Diana has to marry.

I think the Andrew / Diana interactions can foreshadow that, I think were civil, they aren't really friends or like each other, I don't think they hate each other either. I think there relationship is neutral or indifferent And the fact that Diana went to that summer camp implies her family has some wealth, which would have some value to the Earl.

Of course Akko is not going to stand for that, her naive innocense knows marriage should be about love, not politics and what not, and not someone you find it indifferent.

BTW what you do you mean by Annie and Gilbert, by Annie you mean little orphan Annie from the Annie musical or Annie from Annie Get Your Gun, or some other piece of fiction.
blfanMar 8, 2017 7:07 AM
Mar 8, 2017 9:48 AM

Oct 2016
Little Witch Academia is going to be another episodic anime or what.

Akko messes up, everything appears to be bad, then they manage to solve it, turns out the bad thing Akko did ended up being a good thing to someone important in the school.
Mar 8, 2017 1:45 PM

Jun 2015
Awww, that was sweet.
Sucy is slowly creeping her way into my favourite characters.
Mar 8, 2017 8:04 PM
Oct 2012
blfan said:
BTW what you do you mean by Annie and Gilbert, by Annie you mean little orphan Annie from the Annie musical or Annie from Annie Get Your Gun, or some other piece of fiction.

Ah, no. Anne of Green Gables. For the Japanese are infinitely far more familiar with that than others. Even Canadians don't love Anne of Green Gables as much as the Japanese
Mar 9, 2017 1:50 AM

Jul 2009
I always thought bringing people back to life would be a damn hard magic, but no to Akko...
I really want to see more of Diana!
Mar 9, 2017 4:17 PM

Mar 2013
Huh well the appearance of the police officers and their car more or less confirms this is set in the UK
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Mar 11, 2017 4:30 PM
Sep 2012
Well if my prediction is going to come true than

Episode 10 preview spoilers

Regardless a want a Diana center episode dammit, every supporting character is seemingly getting an episode, even the headmistress. Let it happen please.
Mar 14, 2017 10:02 AM

Jul 2016
Way to go Akko, they mentioned the punishment for bringing back the dead in previous episodes and what do you do? YOU BRING BACK THE DEAD!!!! Jeez, didn't you write down those notes before?

Nonetheless, it was a great episode exploring the undead pirate and see how magic and witches are seen in his own eyes; wise woman who once, before science, had the answer to everything. Fun fact- This viewpoint of witches is accurate since back then, hey weren't Satan's hellspawn, but wise witches who mostly specializes in white magic (Yes, that's real, it's also called Healing magic) and can change the weather to meet the crop's needs.

It really makes me curious to delve into the lore of this world and how history changed and how the witches managed to stay in our current modern society.

But you know what's even more riveting? WHAT'S THE WORSE PUNISHMENT POSSIBLE?!?!?
Apparently, old broken broomsticks.
(Speaking of which, did anybody notice the article covering the rogue broomstick earlier?)
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Mar 14, 2017 10:38 AM

Aug 2012
-Headmistress is more whimsical than I remember
-Something tells me something's gonna happen to all of the amulets
-Getting Scooby Doo vibes from the resurrection in the cemetery
- V E N G E A N C E
-Maybe Akko shouldn't have mentioned bringing that guy back to life in the middle of a crowd
-I got a classic western cartoons vibe from the headless body trying to find its head after the old man got hit by a car
-Some more real-world reference with stuff like Salem and even the industrial revolution, giving more context to the setting
-Yeah they kinda outed the headmistress as Miranda when they had that scene between C- Ursula and her come right after the part with the old man and the painting
-Somehow I didn't expect the dead guy to be Miranda's deadbeat dad though
-This show has no business being this great
-This soundtrack has no business being this amazing
-The old guy's tone of voice just made the family reunion scene all the better
-After hearing a bunch of the modern humans consistently decry magic as something archaic, it was pretty refreshing to see a remnant from a time where witches were actively admired
-Huh, the symbol on the bell is even on the headmistress's hat

Pretty much the only thing that I didn't like about this episode was how the dead guy didn't have a name. Maybe that was the point of the episode, that even random nameless commoners were inspired by magic back in the semi-old days. I really enjoyed how playful the episode was in general, as well as the backstory it gave to the progression of the popularity of magic. It was also pretty great seeing a Luna Nova outsider who didn't outright shit on magic the first time it's mentioned to them. Also, probably the most impressive thing about this episode is that it still has the same aesthetic, classic-western-cartoony feel to it that the first episode had. Not many of the other things I've seen have been able to keep their charm going this far into the show.
Mar 14, 2017 6:10 PM

Oct 2008
Another Hyper Undead Skeleton episode!
The beautiful scene highlight was the leaves that shadowed two kissing male & female.
LOL at Sucy's emotionless reaction to any kind of situations!
5/5.

Mar 16, 2017 3:21 PM

Mar 2009
Really expected this show to be the best anime of the season from the get-go, but the quality jumps around so much. Episodes go from wildly creative and magical to boring and cliche, like this one. It's too bad.
Mar 20, 2017 5:51 AM

Jan 2011
That bell travel Akko pulled would do Josuke proud.
Mar 20, 2017 6:27 PM

Oct 2012
Another excellent episode! I like how each story is self contained, that's definitely big highpoint of this series.
And they almost always deliver. Yeah, this is Trigger at its best.
Mar 27, 2017 7:56 PM

Aug 2015
The golden age of magic apparently coincides with the age of reason, the period in which belief in magic and witchcraft went down. Not just Akko needs a history lesson.
Mar 30, 2017 7:07 AM

Apr 2014
Weak episode, it felt rushed and tried to be a emotional at the end but failed to deliver anything. Sad.
Apr 1, 2017 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
Kind of random... but touching story.

Green zombie goo everywhere!
Apr 1, 2017 4:13 PM
Sep 2012
Well they are some theories the whole picking your job for the School Festival was ricked, and the school they decided Akko's group is going to be a sacrifice, if that is the case the Head Mistress is the master mind, so that is a fine thank you for the events of this episode.
Apr 1, 2017 5:27 PM
Jul 2015
blfan said:
Well they are some theories the whole picking your job for the School Festival was ricked, and the school they decided Akko's group is going to be a sacrifice, if that is the case the Head Mistress is the master mind, so that is a fine thank you for the events of this episode.

This isn't the episode 12 thread.
Apr 1, 2017 7:03 PM
Sep 2012
AoiHonoo said:
blfan said:

This isn't the episode 12 thread.

The episode aired over a week ago, I think we past the spoiler statue of limitation.
Apr 9, 2017 9:52 PM

Jan 2013
Nice to see Chumlee again.
Overall alright episode, not the most entertaining.
Apr 18, 2017 6:15 AM

Jun 2013
A somewhat underwhelming experience. The gang's wacky hijinks were still kind of fun, as was the skeleton business despite being even more silly than usual. Still, the episode overall felt slower than previous ones, and I didn't really feel like we learned much about any of the characters. The headmistress is cool and all, but she hasn't been set up as a character we should pay much attention to, so beyond being kind of sweet by itself, the emotional moment didn't do much for me.

It's kind of funny how some people in this thread are still surprised that this show is still episodic at this point. When you expect every show to be the same epic (like Gurren Lagann) or edgy (Death Note) adventure or the next Cowboy Bebop, you're bound for a disappointment, eventually. I know this from experience. And yes, I do see the irony in my comment, as I'm also complaining about the episode, but my point still stands.
LeeTailorApr 18, 2017 6:26 AM
Apr 19, 2017 5:27 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Funny episode, when all is arround Miranda-sensei!!!
The cane, it was a bell stick!!! O__O
Jul 1, 2017 7:07 PM

May 2012
Lovely episode I must say with quite a heartwarming ending! Looking forward for the next episode.
Jul 5, 2017 10:05 AM

Jun 2013
Oh...I think those Amulets will be interest in this episode...cannot wait...

O_O Akko...You remeber that reviving dead will get Punishment most Horrible? O__O Oh this will get Hilarious! XD

Love this Episode...Nice Slice of Life episodes so far...think that this will get serious at later part of the series...
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jul 6, 2017 10:45 AM

Apr 2015
Oh crap, Akko reanimated the dead. Guess that mention of that being the worst crime a witch can commit in episode 7 was foreshadowing.

"If you're searching for vermin, the first place you should look is the trash!" Nah, all you're going to find in there are anime fans.

The dead guy realizing he was his own enemy reminded me of a SpongeBob episode, as just about everything does. "I was looking for me the whole time! It's the perfect crime!"

So raising the dead is forgiven if it's the head mistress' father? Akko and the gang have certainly been punished enough throughout the series so far...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 13, 2017 12:34 PM

Sep 2014
Haha this episode was so random and silly. I really liked it!
The undead guy was very funny and hyperactive. lol
I figured out he was the man he was looking for when he found the painting in the pawn shop (dat Chumlee again btw). Mustache and same hat. xD
It was nice to see principal Miranda meeting his father again. So cute!

Jul 13, 2017 10:45 PM
Jun 2013
it was nice seeing the old teacher have a sense of humor and her meeting her dad again was sweet.even that leaf moment was heart warming. It was also nice to get some tidbits of the past.
Aug 2, 2017 11:50 PM

Jul 2017
It made me cry and laugh
It was good
Aug 29, 2017 5:12 AM

Dec 2015
The episode may be quite fun (although not that well made), it doesn't excuse its existence as a 9th (!!) episode out of 26. They even had to spell out a connection with the previously alluded intrigue in order to make it look very thinly connected.

With all this time lost, Akko who has been depicted as this utterly incapable witch (as a witch, not as a person helping others) has yet to learn almost every basic thing every regular student knew from childhood. And instead of having Ursula tutoring her (she is ABSOLUTELY useless as a professor, not only as an past "heroin"), we keep following her in her misadventures doing resolving the problems she triggered.
So, in the end, we'll see her resolve the "threat"/intrigue who should be set in motion in 2-3eps with the help of her entourage (because that's her only quality apart from her blind faith/love for magic) with her still super dumb compared to the others...

3/5 Nice to learn we're in the United Kingdom. But why this country -_-

@Tomislavr7 Apart from the other heavy Harry Potter recycling, was the country shown before?
Rei_IIIAug 29, 2017 5:21 AM
Aug 29, 2017 11:13 AM
Nov 2010
Rei366 said:

@Tomislavr7 Apart from the other heavy Harry Potter recycling, was the country shown before?

The names were showing the academy as somewhat international (maybe this was like the British schools?), yet there were apparently other academies or something (where they asked help from). I don't think there were any non-referential pointers (maybe add football being important as another reference?) to where it is located at before.
Tomislavr7Aug 29, 2017 11:17 AM
Sep 11, 2017 1:54 AM

Mar 2015
Aww that was a really touching episode. Nice to see even the headmistress can get a smidge of development.

Ursula-sensei with her eyes past the glasses can be so pretty!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 15, 2017 11:32 PM

Feb 2014
At first I thought this was going to be a random filler, but instead ended up being quite feels-y. Although, it's still the weakest episode yet. Especially that whole chase scene with Akko and the old guy running around yelling all the time got really annoying, and was the reason why I never got around to finishing this episode until now. But on the plus side, now I don't have to wait an entire week to watch the next episode.

Also, Sucy's reactions and quips were probably my favorite part of the episode.
Nov 29, 2017 12:42 AM

Dec 2016
still cant get over the fact that the store clerk is pretty much Chumlee from Pawn Stars lmao
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 9, 2017 4:09 AM

May 2015
Chumlee is back bitches. :D

Also this episode was really good imo, but it was also easy to predict.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2017

152 by LFC123 »»
Mar 21, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

159 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

310 by HoneyBees91 »»
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

186 by trueauracoral »»
Feb 18, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2017

125 by ViSpace »»
Feb 5, 6:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.