Forum Settings
Forums
New
Forgiveness or no?
Mar 4, 2017 8:30 PM

Dec 2014
So was strolling through the internet and I found:
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -- Gandhi

which is debatable so I'd figure I shitpost start an intelligent discussion revolving around the concept of forgiveness.

Do you agree with the quote and or that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?
In a scenario where someone kills your child, will you still apply forgiveness?

Discusserino
Is this where you live?

Mar 4, 2017 8:36 PM

Aug 2016
Sure, forgive and forget, but if I can get a nice hit back without repercussion you sure as hell bet I'm gonna do it.

*And to answer the questions:
Do you agree with the quote and or that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?
-When an idiot applies that philosophy, it goes both ways.
In a scenario where someone kills your child, will you still apply forgiveness
-Probably. I'd rather not have my kids grow up to be weeb trash like me.
VariFoxMar 4, 2017 8:48 PM
Mar 4, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2016
Wtf anyone can forgive you dont have to be weak or strong as long as you mean it

Set by SenpieX
Mar 4, 2017 8:47 PM

Jun 2015
The smart thing to do would be to nuke your enemy from a distance, granting you excitement and entertainment. Then you clean up your mess and enjoy stomping on their ashes.
Mar 4, 2017 9:19 PM

Dec 2014
Sazerlim said:
Wtf anyone can forgive you dont have to be weak or strong as long as you mean it

think quote is saying those who don't forgive and attempt revenge is "weak" .
Is this where you live?

Mar 4, 2017 9:22 PM

Jun 2015
Forgiving someone isn't really just about what they did. It's how you heal, too.

You aren't supposed to look at the quote from just an external point of view. It takes a lot of strength to "let go" of the past. You aren't forgetting, you are learning.

Anyway, a counter to the eye for an eye idea...

Mar 4, 2017 9:24 PM

Aug 2015
Good timing, it was Forgiveness Sunday last week, in the Orthodox Church. The service that sort of begins Lent.

Forgiveness is an attribute of the wise.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Mar 4, 2017 9:30 PM

Dec 2009
I don't forgive anyone for anything.

But here's the catch: nobody ever does anything (around me) that needs forgiveness.

If a person is a douchebag one minute, then they're a douchebag. If they're super reasonable and nice the next, then they're reasonable and nice. The past doesn't exist, it's merely a wake; remnant reverberations of causality. The past affects you as much as you allow it to.

Well that, and people who do bad things are usually just victims of circumstance. if someone harms other because of emotions, those emotions are something they're tortured by. If someone harms others out of psychopathy and not knowing any better, then they aren't doing any wrongs, they're merely ignorant and need correction or isolation for the sake of others. Just examples.

The strength or weakness is subjective. All it means is that if you cannot master your own emotions and self, then you are an incompetent ignorant being who only causes problems in the world and for yourself.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Mar 4, 2017 10:07 PM
Apr 2013
I only forgive if they're sorry for what they did, so long as it wasn't really terrible for example lighting me on fire, or if it suits a personal gain of mine.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Mar 4, 2017 10:43 PM

Nov 2013
If I had a child and someone killed my child I wouldn't forgive myself for not being able to protect my child.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 4, 2017 11:35 PM
Jul 2018
Never forget, never forgive. How come a merely apologise can heal the wounds of the past? They allowed you to suffer, so you have no obligation to sit and do nothing. Pay them back twice, thrice or even higher than they would even imagine.
Mar 4, 2017 11:37 PM

Dec 2016
In all honesty, if the other party was to have fucked up and done something you would shit out of when you were 2, I say "FUCK FORGIVENESS, THATS FOR PUSSIES."
Religion is a parasite, and the only way to exterminate it is to accept facts that can be proven by regular every day activities.
Mar 4, 2017 11:46 PM

Dec 2014
codephat said:
Forgiving someone isn't really just about what they did. It's how you heal, too.

You aren't supposed to look at the quote from just an external point of view. It takes a lot of strength to "let go" of the past. You aren't forgetting, you are learning.

Anyway, a counter to the eye for an eye idea...

YOU SIR, MADE MY DAY, HAVE NOT LAUGHED SO HARD IN SUCH A WHILE.
Is this where you live?

Mar 5, 2017 4:23 AM

Aug 2009
peanutbutters said:
So was strolling through the internet and I found:
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -- Gandhi

which is debatable so I'd figure I shitpost start an intelligent discussion revolving around the concept of forgiveness.

In a scenario where someone kills your child, will you still apply forgiveness?

Discusserino

I think the Gandhi quote is idiotic. Because some things are not easily forgivable or even forgivable at all. As for your scenario it depends. If the child was killed due to an accident I am sure I can eventually forgive that person who killed my child. If my child burglarizes someone's home and is shot by the homeowner I can forgive that person. If my child tries to rape someone or attempting to due something else horrible and is killed I can forgive that person who killed my child. If my child is murdered then no I probably will never forgive that person. All lot of people tend to confuse forgiving with forgetting. Forgiving someone just means you no longer feel anger,hatred or resentment towards that person who wronged you. Forgiveness doesn't mean you think the wrong doer should be let off the hook.
Mar 5, 2017 8:27 AM

Apr 2014
i believe the quote has some truth to it
When you see in real life (and more importantly anime) that old wise man who knows a lot about the world and stuff, usually he has the worst, most tragic history of all. But he's always so peaceful

OT but @codephat @peanutbutters like the video lol but I wanna contribute to the eye thing too >;]
So we have this folktale:
Mar 5, 2017 10:12 AM

Apr 2015
Tomato said:
The smart thing to do would be to nuke your enemy from a distance, granting you excitement and entertainment. Then you clean up your mess and enjoy stomping on their ashes.

Assuming that they can't detect your nuke and launch a retaliatory strike.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 5, 2017 10:53 AM

Sep 2015
A lot of times I can forget but not forgive. Sure forgiving is good but I feel like i'm going too easy on people when I do it. Depending on what they did of course.
Mar 5, 2017 11:54 AM

Dec 2014
KazuyaKujo said:
i believe the quote has some truth to it
When you see in real life (and more importantly anime) that old wise man who knows a lot about the world and stuff, usually he has the worst, most tragic history of all. But he's always so peaceful

OT but @codephat @peanutbutters like the video lol but I wanna contribute to the eye thing too >;]
So we have this folktale:

Felt like I've heard that story before, but yes, I agree that it does have some truth to it logically speaking but nevertheless, an eye for an eye is what keeps the world at peace I would think or else one would just nuke the other without any worry
Is this where you live?

Mar 5, 2017 11:59 AM

Jul 2012
I forgive people quite often, and I have had to suffer because of it. Its for the greater good. People get whats coming eventually.

More topics from this board

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

9 by Lost_Viking »»
2 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 10 hours ago

9 by traed »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by cody »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.