Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is a picture worth 1000 words?
Mar 4, 2017 12:05 AM

Dec 2014
If that's true, then I've been reading soo much more than the amount recommended by teachers.

Most adult books are about 90,000 words, and no longer than 100,000 words (unless you're JK Rowling). Teen books are about 55,000 words.

Calculationzz:

Anyways, do you think a picture is worth 1000 words? Or is this in your opinion just a stupid saying?
What are your general thoughts on the topic matter?
Is this where you live?

Mar 4, 2017 12:21 AM

Aug 2016
Well I was looking for a very good picture to post and be like "how many words is THIS worth"

but one thing led to another and now I'm looking at hentai about kangaroos.
Mar 4, 2017 5:59 AM

Dec 2016
well, thinking in a computer terms, you can store a text, program, zip or so in a bitmap or some other image extension types, you only need to extract or open it in a .txt or so to get it, so this can be pretty literal lol
Memes, tipos de carinhas são....
Memes, uns são bons e outros não....
Memes, não seja um forever alone....
Cola com a glr e canta junto esse refrão!
Mar 4, 2017 8:45 AM

Feb 2016
When people talk about a picture being worth "a thousand words", they are talking about how a single picture can sometimes be just as persuasive (even not even more so) than any argument comprised of many words.

And it is true. There have been some momentous photographs in history which really did alter its course.

For example as classic example of this is the Vietnam war photo of a little naked Vietnamese-Canadian 9 year old girl (her clothes burned off by napalm) screaming and running down a dirt track with dozens of other terrified children (as their village goes up in a ferocious inferno in the background), became an iconic image of the Vietnam War;

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150512085932-31-seventies-timeline-0512-restricted-super-169.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc

The photo shows a very distressing scene. But one of the reasons why it became so iconic was because although there was a lot of anti-Vietnam war sentiment up until that point (with many people protesting the war and writing anti-war pieces in journals etc), nothing hit home quite as hard as this image of Phan Thi Kim Phuc screaming and running terrified (her skin burning from napalm etc) and she became known as the "Napalm Girl".

And the reason why the image hit so hard was not just because it would stir up emotion even towards 21st century viewers today, but because you have to understand that back then in the early 1970s, most people living in Western nations (America, Australia, England etc) had been incredibly sheltered from the brutalities & actual realities of war.

The main war before Vietnam had been WW2. And WW2 was very much a Good VS Evil war (the heroic allied powers fight against the advances of the despotic evil Hitler and his Nazi forces etc). But after WW2, although countless people saw and suffered awful things in WW2, there was a general view that you didn't and shouldn't talk about these things (not openly, not to anyone). During the war it was very much a culture of "(If we are to win the war) You have to remain strong for yourself and everyone around you (and to do that you need to keep your problems to yourself)" but after the war this changed to continue with a culture of "The war has ended now, you need to focus on the present (not the past) so that we can build a better future today". There was very little understanding of PTSD (and for a variety of reasons, most people thought it better not to talk about the more horrifying aspects of war etc).

This all had the effect...That even decades after the war, most people had little idea about the true nature of war. Even in the war-themed movies (that flourished after WW2), the gore & terror was very tame and Hollywood shied away from horrible war realities like the rape of women and children, people being burned alive, people being blown into peaces or children being accidentally killed by the forces of good etc.

Meanwhile, in the post WW2 run-up to Vietnam, countless young men (oblivious to the hellish realities of war) matched off to Vietnam. Vast numbers of these young guys had fathers who had fought in WW2 (and had come back all distinguished with medals & respect etc). And in their eyes, so many of them felt like they needed to prove themselves to their fathers. So many people believed the propaganda (and didn't even question whether we might be capable of being the bad guys in war or whether the war we were about to engage might be a mistake etc). Instead war (thanks to WW2) had become something noble & heroic (the perfect opportunity to go off and fight and come back a hero etc).

Of course though, the war in Vietnam was anything but noble & heroic. If anything it was something of a disaster (on so many levels) and whose legacies still haunt people today (for example even now, there are still children being born with horrific birth defects due to Agent Orange). It is still a controversial war even to this day. And it was brutal, horrific and terrifying. Many wrongs were being committed on all sides (including the allied powers side). But at the time, when the horror stories and concerns started to leak back out of the country (back to America etc), it was a total affront to everything that people had been brought up to believe about war and their country (and what we were supposed to be doing in Vietnam).

Not everyone was in denial though. Many people (typically younger people in their teens and 20s who didn't identify with their war era parents & grandparents etc) started taking to the streets to protest the war. But they were written off and disregarded as "hippies", "commies", "crybabies" and "anarchists". As far as the older generations and pro-Vietnam war folk were concerned, these young people protesting against the war were just a bunch of brattish, gullible, unpatriotic upstarts trying to make a name for themselves.

But then "Napalm Girl" hit.

The ironic photograph was featured in a lot of magazines/newspapers. Lately photo journalism had been getting grittier, but up until the iconic photograph did the rounds, almost nobody in the general public had actually seen such graphic content. It wasn't that before nobody thought that children wouldn't be the victims of war (but the photo really made the reality of this hit home in people's minds). The photo stirred up a furious amount of debate ("What the hell are we doing in this country?", "What else aren't we being told about?", "Are we (maybe) the bad guys?", "Have we been making huge mistakes in this war?", "What are our troops doing out there exactly?", "Is this war worth our young sons lives?" etc) which in turn fueled a knock-on effect which started to turn the tide of favour more seriously against the war (more so than any written piece before had ever done).

It was a picture worth a thousands words (and many people argue even today that the photo of "Napalm Girl", affected the course of an entire war and that it changed the general public's perception and awareness of war on a palpable level).

(It is just a shame, that even decades on from the war in Vietnam, we are still creating and engaging in highly controversial wars abroad, that little children are still running screaming down the streets as their homes go up in flames, that people are still romanticizing war and countless more foolhardy or desperate young men are still playing pawn (with their lives in god forbidden foreign war zones) in the political games of much older men etc).
Mar 4, 2017 8:47 AM

Oct 2015
I'd like 12 packages of whatever you're smoking
Mar 4, 2017 9:29 AM

Aug 2016
depends. if reading hawt fanfics turns you on just as much as watching hentai then prolly not. but id unno thats more of a personal taste ya feel me

B4Dawn said:
I'd like 12 packages of whatever you're smoking

I'd like to jump on that offer as well. Cheers to the casual discussions.
Mar 4, 2017 11:52 AM

May 2015
A picture isn't worth a thousand words. It's worth a thousand different frames. A picture can mean anything, mostly. That's why you need the words.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 5, 2017 10:06 AM

Jan 2017
depend........ some of them may express 1000000000 words and some other like 10 at max
Mar 5, 2017 10:17 AM

Apr 2015
I hate how @Tokis86 actually wrote a detailed response, and yet everyone else either shitpost-responded or just left a throwaway one-liner. Then again, the initial post was shitposty in nature, so maybe I'm expecting to much.

No, I don't believe a picture itself is worth a thousand words, but I believe that when placed with appropriate context, it can mean thousands of words.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 5, 2017 10:18 AM

Dec 2015
Sometimes it can be right, but mostly it's bull.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 6, 2017 1:54 AM

May 2015
Marrone said:
Visual information can be more convenient and faster to get a point across but that also promotes short attention spans.

It's also more vague. Say I show you a picture of people digging beneath a house. Without the words, you won't know whether they're digging graves or just doing construction work.
Mar 6, 2017 11:25 AM

Feb 2016
InsaneLeader13 said:
I hate how @Tokis86 actually wrote a detailed response, and yet everyone else either shitpost-responded or just left a throwaway one-liner. Then again, the initial post was shitposty in nature, so maybe I'm expecting to much.

Thanks.

BTW If you are (or anyone else here) is interested in photography, although these ones on this website aren't all famous, they are certainly cover a wide variety of interesting subjects and moments in history (for example "The final moments of a Japanese dive bomber, 1945", "The corpse of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler after his suicide by poison, 1945" & "Street vendor selling mummies in Egypt, 1865" etc) check out: http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/ .
Mar 6, 2017 4:02 PM

Feb 2015
I dunno about a pic but mah waifu is worth a million fap and a billion baby seed of mine... ;)
Mar 6, 2017 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
The picture in manga is worth 3000 yen per page.
Mar 6, 2017 7:46 PM

Apr 2015
Tokis86 said:
InsaneLeader13 said:

Thanks.

BTW If you are (or anyone else here) is interested in photography, although these ones on this website aren't all famous, they are certainly cover a wide variety of interesting subjects and moments in history (for example "The final moments of a Japanese dive bomber, 1945", "The corpse of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler after his suicide by poison, 1945" & "Street vendor selling mummies in Egypt, 1865" etc) check out: http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/ .

Thanks for the link. I have a strong interest in the first half of the 20th century, I'm sure that this site will provide hours of vicarious entertainment and thought.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Mar 6, 2017 11:35 PM

May 2015
Marrone said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's also more vague. Say I show you a picture of people digging beneath a house. Without the words, you won't know whether they're digging graves or just doing construction work.

You can just add more visual cues to make it clearer like maybe people wearing vests/outfits that construction workers usually wear.

That's never enough, since a picture is never a narrative in and of itself. A picture is only an illustration.
Mar 10, 2017 5:28 PM

Aug 2016
no because pictures are pixels and pixels are not words
Mar 10, 2017 7:04 PM

Sep 2007
Not according to MAL's character limit.

Mar 11, 2017 1:50 AM

Sep 2016
Words are better to convey a message than a picture.

More topics from this board

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

34 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - Apr 18

16 by GinIonSui »»
8 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

44 by Smugdear »»
52 minutes ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

19 by redlockhigh »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

40 by Smugdear »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.