Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Post New Reply
Feb 28, 7:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
OP has absolute shit taste, I don't have time to explain, stopped reading at point 4. If you think S;G has generic boring plot, you don't even know what you are talking about. I agree it's not a mindless braindead action anime and if you don't take up your brain to do some work it won't look that good. It incorporates so many real concepts and urban legends/conspiracies, it's pretty unique and well done. And characters aren't really that flat for such plot structure if you actually think about what and why they do it.

Ynwe said:
If the organization was planning on taking over the world, why the hell do they hire this weird woman that stares at her phone and some shitty goons to do it instead of some proper professionals? They have the money since they can shut down all transportation, but then they resort to these random characters to do the most important part of the job?

See, most people don't understand the plot and ask stupid questions.


put spoilers, guys..
 
Feb 28, 7:57 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 7
Aquamirror said:
OP has absolute shit taste, I don't have time to explain, stopped reading at point 4. If you think S;G has generic boring plot, you don't even know what you are talking about. I agree it's not a mindless braindead action anime and if you don't take up your brain to do some work it won't look that good. It incorporates so many real concepts and urban legends/conspiracies, it's pretty unique and well done. And characters aren't really that flat for such plot structure if you actually think about what and why they do it.

Ynwe said:
If the organization was planning on taking over the world, why the hell do they hire this weird woman that stares at her phone and some shitty goons to do it instead of some proper professionals? They have the money since they can shut down all transportation, but then they resort to these random characters to do the most important part of the job?

See, most people don't understand the plot and ask stupid questions.


Hot damn sorry for insulting your anime there. Also it REALLY doesn't take a lot to think about, it really doesn't have that much depth or complexity. As others have pointed out, you can really see how the end is coming, heck all you need to do is have seen/read harry potter 3 and you know how the damn ending will play out
 
Feb 28, 7:59 AM

Online
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 193
boybandz said:
I never got the appeal of this show either. There are shows like FMA;B and Cowboy Bebop that i didn't like personally but i can see how they might resonate with others, as they actually have things going for them. Steins Gate has nothing going for it. I watched 8 episodes of it and it had some of the blandest characters imaginable with 0 plot progression. Apparently Okabe laughing loudly and saying that ''the organization'' is after him 15 times is considered brilliant writing. To each his own i guess...


It starts to get good from episode 10. The first half of the show is boring, but the plot later reveals things that will make you look at it in a different way. Disliking a show is completely fine, but don't act like the show is generic when you haven't even finished it yet. That is just foolish.
Question everything.
Never underestimate the significance of words.
Free will is an illusion.
 
Feb 28, 8:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 37
well, it is still better than tokyo ghoul, sao, snk and more dumb things on the top
 
Feb 28, 8:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 581
Your right, you have missed nothing mate, a uninspired harm anime from start to finish with characters as does dishwater.
 
Feb 28, 8:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
HamburgerSpike said:
Can someone who has achieved objectively good taste tell me if Steins;Gate is really worth it? Its one of the few I havent seen from the top.

No. It's underwhelming, the characters are annoying and fit the visual novel-stereotype perfectly.
The plot is decent, but very slow in the first 12 episodes. Also the waifus are mediocre, so it's not really interesting to watch how the MC tries to save them. In terms of time travel, it's probably better than most anime out there, but that really does'nt say much. You're better of watching something else.
Modified by zumac, Feb 28, 8:25 AM
 
Feb 28, 8:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 1056
Ynwe said:
1) its either very childish and then suddenly serious. Dunno for me the tempo of the show just didn't fit

2) characters are super flat. Fat nerd, b-baka! type tsundere main girl, and all others also follow a very generic stereotype. Also no character development. Even if the timeline is rather short and repeated, the characters feel lifeless for me

3) Okarin.. The main character does a bunch of stupid shit, for example when he is desperately trying to save a certain person, his actions he takes are beyond pathetic and if he would get caught once, would be final... He involves everyone anyway, but they have to drag it out of him.

4) story. It really isn't that creative or mindblowing. It has a nice idea, but not much more

Sorry OP, I think you just described Re:Zero.
-
-

γ€Œ π˜›π˜©π˜¦ 𝘡𝘳𝘢𝘡𝘩 π˜ͺ𝘴, 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘀𝘩𝘒𝘯𝘨𝘦π˜₯. π˜‰π˜­π˜’π˜€π˜¬ 𝘡𝘰 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘡𝘦 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘴𝘡π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘺. 」
◐ - βœ‰

-
 
Feb 28, 8:15 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 11
Apoc_Revolution said:

It starts to get good from episode 10. The first half of the show is boring, but the plot later reveals things that will make you look at it in a different way. Disliking a show is completely fine, but don't act like the show is generic when you haven't even finished it yet. That is just foolish.


So according to you i need to watch the entirety of Sword Art Online to say it's a generic pile of garbage? I don't think so. If the show doesn't nothing right in 8 episodes there's no reason to think it will during the rest of the episodes.
 
Feb 28, 8:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
I like S;G but only to an extent. I think at most I'm going to give it an 8 unless things change. right now I don't see how people can give it a 10 unless they are over-exaggerating. To be honest, it's really the only anime with time travel that I can bear, usually I hate that idea when it's brought up but S;G does a good job of it because you can follow what's happening in the world lines.

However, the fact that I have to read a bunch of manga along with the anime and possibly wait for an entire new season (S;G 0) to come out in order to fully complete the show has caused me to put it on hold for the time being.

You're right about Okarin though, I honestly think he was designed with some type of autism along with megalomania. Mayushii is a better character design than Okarin, even if she's basically a 6 year old in a 16 year old's body.
 
Feb 28, 8:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 169
Oh well , I enjoyed it.
Overrated yes , But it was enjoyable.
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha



 
Feb 28, 8:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 169
Ynwe said:
Aquamirror said:
OP has absolute shit taste, I don't have time to explain, stopped reading at point 4. If you think S;G has generic boring plot, you don't even know what you are talking about. I agree it's not a mindless braindead action anime and if you don't take up your brain to do some work it won't look that good. It incorporates so many real concepts and urban legends/conspiracies, it's pretty unique and well done. And characters aren't really that flat for such plot structure if you actually think about what and why they do it.


See, most people don't understand the plot and ask stupid questions.


Hot damn sorry for insulting your anime there. Also it REALLY doesn't take a lot to think about, it really doesn't have that much depth or complexity. As others have pointed out, you can really see how the end is coming, heck all you need to do is have seen/read harry potter 3 and you know how the damn ending will play out


It's been a while since I watched Harry Potter 3 so I fail to see the similarities.

Also depth and complexity aren't an indicator of how good something is, at least in my opinion I mean the plot of one of my favorite games is angry demigod punches everything a lot and it still manages to tell a story of friendship, betrayal and more punching. I think you might have been a victim of going in expecting too much from a show that just wanted to tell a simple, stupid story of a man, a microwave and how they destroyed the space time continuum together.
 
Feb 28, 8:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
boybandz said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

It starts to get good from episode 10. The first half of the show is boring, but the plot later reveals things that will make you look at it in a different way. Disliking a show is completely fine, but don't act like the show is generic when you haven't even finished it yet. That is just foolish.


So according to you i need to watch the entirety of Sword Art Online to say it's a generic pile of garbage? I don't think so. If the show doesn't nothing right in 8 episodes there's no reason to think it will during the rest of the episodes.

It does everything right to set up the tone and develop the characters and the time travel mechanics. Definitely not a waste of time and totally not boring episodes. Although, if you are looking for mindless action, S;G isn't for you obviously. There is a lot of stuff happening in these episodes actually, but they aren't "in your face".

imeli said:
However, the fact that I have to read a bunch of manga along with the anime and possibly wait for an entire new season (S;G 0) to come out in order to fully complete the show has caused me to put it on hold for the time being.

No, the story is fully complete even with the first anime. Mangas and other stuff are mostly alternative stories and non-canon.
Sure, S;G 0 expands the full story, but everything relevant is already explained.
imeli said:
You're right about Okarin though, I honestly think he was designed with some type of autism along with megalomania. Mayushii is a better character design than Okarin, even if she's basically a 6 year old in a 16 year old's body.

Okabe isn't a retard... He is acting like that to cover his true self and being a huge support for Mayuri (who is also a huge support for him). She isn't actually that retarded either.
Modified by Aquamirror, Feb 28, 8:33 AM
 
Feb 28, 8:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 110
Lol. I am new to MAL and was thinking of starting this same exact thread. Steins Gate was an OK anime to me. Watchable just once.

I always felt the following points were too hard to be ignored when I tried to think why it was rated 9+ here:

1) For a time travel concept that was supposed to be explained scientifically, the D-mails didnt have good scientific explanation into it that everyone can easily understand

2) I found the romance between Okabe and Makise simply put there just coz there had to be some romance. The story wudnt have suffered a bit even without the romance

3) The idea of sending a person's memories digitalized as information was something i found as a novel idea rather than the actual physical time travel that most other fiction I have seen and got bored of. But that was explained as information being passed through a small black hole to be compressed and then send back in time. If anything, time slows down in a black hole, meaning that information wud actually arrive in the FUTURE of the normal world rather than the past

4) I also couldnt understand how Okabe manages to prevent World War 3 by switching that metal trinket with an ordinary one. I guess I wasnt paying a lot of attention but cudnt understand how that became the turning point of WW3. Some one pls tell me

5) I cudnt find any use for the John titor character. Sure she guided Okabe by replying to his questions sometimes but other than that, what she did?


Pls explain these questions coz I wanna know if there was more that could have been done to make this anime truly deserve a 9+ rating
 
Feb 28, 8:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 6430
HamburgerSpike said:
Can someone who has achieved objectively good taste tell me if Steins;Gate is really worth it? Its one of the few I havent seen from the top.

Dunno if I count, you'll be the judge, but I found it insulting. Couldn't get rid of the feeling that the writer thinks I'm an idiot.
And the fucking Dr Pepper ads were pure cancer.
 
Feb 28, 8:34 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
TIL having harem elements = being a generic harem
Thank you OP, you have enlightened me.
But seriously, you're all fucking dumb if you can't see the appeal. It has conspiracies, a plot that slowly builds on itself and gets more tense with each episode and cute girls. Of course most people are going to eat it up.
 
Feb 28, 8:39 AM
Brother In Narms

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 291
Because it's really good. Far from perfect, but Okabe is super likable and it has a lot of plot momentum, which are the two ingredients to a wildly popular show. It's overrated (not close to best ever), but it does a ton right and manages to do so despite its Visual Novel Syndrome. Not much above 8.5 here is outright bad, at the most there are a couple handfuls worth of "meh".
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
 
Feb 28, 8:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 2025
Clebardman said:
HamburgerSpike said:
Can someone who has achieved objectively good taste tell me if Steins;Gate is really worth it? Its one of the few I havent seen from the top.

Dunno if I count, you'll be the judge, but I found it insulting. Couldn't get rid of the feeling that the writer thinks I'm an idiot.
And the fucking Dr Pepper ads were pure cancer.

Yo, I like Dr Pepper and I think its very underappreciated compared to like Cola, Fanta, Sprite and the rest. Ive never seen anyone buy it either
@romagia @zumac @kodial thanks, so the votes are 2-2, should I skip every second episode?

I guess ill try it in like year when I dont have stuff to watch


Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

 
Feb 28, 8:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3216
HamburgerSpike said:
Can someone who has achieved objectively good taste tell me if Steins;Gate is really worth it? Its one of the few I haven't seen from the top.

Oh, yes. It's totally good, objectively, yes.
 
Feb 28, 8:42 AM

Online
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 193
boybandz said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

It starts to get good from episode 10. The first half of the show is boring, but the plot later reveals things that will make you look at it in a different way. Disliking a show is completely fine, but don't act like the show is generic when you haven't even finished it yet. That is just foolish.


So according to you i need to watch the entirety of Sword Art Online to say it's a generic pile of garbage? I don't think so. If the show doesn't nothing right in 8 episodes there's no reason to think it will during the rest of the episodes.


You can only judge what you've seen so far. You're just assuming the rest of the show is just like the first half. So yes, that is foolish.
Question everything.
Never underestimate the significance of words.
Free will is an illusion.
 
Feb 28, 8:43 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
Aquamirror said:
boybandz said:


So according to you i need to watch the entirety of Sword Art Online to say it's a generic pile of garbage? I don't think so. If the show doesn't nothing right in 8 episodes there's no reason to think it will during the rest of the episodes.

It does everything right to set up the tone and develop the characters and the time travel mechanics. Definitely not a waste of time and totally not boring episodes. Although, if you are looking for mindless action, S;G isn't for you obviously. There is a lot of stuff happening in these episodes actually, but they aren't "in your face".

imeli said:
However, the fact that I have to read a bunch of manga along with the anime and possibly wait for an entire new season (S;G 0) to come out in order to fully complete the show has caused me to put it on hold for the time being.

No, the story is fully complete even with the first anime. Mangas and other stuff are mostly alternative stories and non-canon.
Sure, S;G 0 expands the full story, but everything relevant is already explained.
imeli said:
You're right about Okarin though, I honestly think he was designed with some type of autism along with megalomania. Mayushii is a better character design than Okarin, even if she's basically a 6 year old in a 16 year old's body.

Okabe isn't a retard... He is acting like that to cover his true self and being a huge support for Mayuri (who is also a huge support for him).

The idea that the Manga isn't canon is contradictory to itself because this is a time travel show. Have you even read the prologue? Or The Distant Valhalla? They might be on different divergence lines however it's still canon because Okarin put himself in those positions by choosing to time travel.

And about Okarin x Mayurii, this is one of the reasons why he is a retard. If she is such a huge support for him and vice versa, then why the hell is Okarin consistently trying to establish his own harem? He's been with Mayurii since childhood but would rather be surrounded by Tsunderes. It is never shown in the anime (at least to where I'm at in episode 15) that Okarin reciprocates any feelings Mayurii has towards him.
 
Feb 28, 8:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
FrozenLich said:
Lol. I am new to MAL and was thinking of starting this same exact thread. Steins Gate was an OK anime to me. Watchable just once.

I always felt the following points were too hard to be ignored when I tried to think why it was rated 9+ here:

1) For a time travel concept that was supposed to be explained scientifically, the D-mails didnt have good scientific explanation into it that everyone can easily understand

2) I found the romance between Okabe and Makise simply put there just coz there had to be some romance. The story wudnt have suffered a bit even without the romance

3) The idea of sending a person's memories digitalized as information was something i found as a novel idea rather than the actual physical time travel that most other fiction I have seen and got bored of. But that was explained as information being passed through a small black hole to be compressed and then send back in time. If anything, time slows down in a black hole, meaning that information wud actually arrive in the FUTURE of the normal world rather than the past

4) I also couldnt understand how Okabe manages to prevent World War 3 by switching that metal trinket with an ordinary one. I guess I wasnt paying a lot of attention but cudnt understand how that became the turning point of WW3. Some one pls tell me

5) I cudnt find any use for the John titor character. Sure she guided Okabe by replying to his questions sometimes but other than that, what she did?


Pls explain these questions coz I wanna know if there was more that could have been done to make this anime truly deserve a 9+ rating

 
Feb 28, 8:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 322
I dropped Eureka Seven so why do you like it?

People can like anything they want.

1) I dont see a problem.

2) I liked the characters, I hate Tsunderes but Kurisu was bae. Characters seemed nice to me and THERE WAS CHARACTR development.

3) LOL, he literally jumped timelines to save Mayushi and she died every time. I think any real person would go a little paranoid over stuff like this.

4) I agree that it isnt mind blowing, but it works well with the concept.

 
Feb 28, 8:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
eyesalad said:
It has conspiracies, a plot that slowly builds on itself and gets more tense with each episode and cute girls. Of course most people are going to eat it up.


And that justifies a rating of 9.16?
Why don't all anime have such a high rating , because there are many out there that fit your description.
Not enough tuturuuuuu?
 
Feb 28, 8:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12069
HamburgerSpike said:
Clebardman said:

Dunno if I count, you'll be the judge, but I found it insulting. Couldn't get rid of the feeling that the writer thinks I'm an idiot.
And the fucking Dr Pepper ads were pure cancer.

Yo, I like Dr Pepper and I think its very underappreciated compared to like Cola, Fanta, Sprite and the rest. Ive never seen anyone buy it either
@romagia @zumac @kodial thanks, so the votes are 2-2, should I skip every second episode?

I guess ill try it in like year when I dont have stuff to watch
yes that sounds like the rational way of doing it

you can also try the "2 episodes on 2 monitors" method

zumac said:
eyesalad said:
It has conspiracies, a plot that slowly builds on itself and gets more tense with each episode and cute girls. Of course most people are going to eat it up.


And that justifies a rating of 9.16?
Why don't all anime have such a high rating , because there are many out there that fit your description.
Not enough tuturuuuuu?
conspiracies and time travel shaenanigans are a relatively rare theme
it's also one of the few shows with a "labcoat moe" main girl
and few "thriller" anime
and chuuni protag
it has many rare traits
Modified by romagia, Feb 28, 8:52 AM
 
Feb 28, 8:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
Modified by Aquamirror, Feb 28, 8:56 AM
 
Feb 28, 8:52 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
imeli said:
Aquamirror said:

It does everything right to set up the tone and develop the characters and the time travel mechanics. Definitely not a waste of time and totally not boring episodes. Although, if you are looking for mindless action, S;G isn't for you obviously. There is a lot of stuff happening in these episodes actually, but they aren't "in your face".


No, the story is fully complete even with the first anime. Mangas and other stuff are mostly alternative stories and non-canon.
Sure, S;G 0 expands the full story, but everything relevant is already explained.

Okabe isn't a retard... He is acting like that to cover his true self and being a huge support for Mayuri (who is also a huge support for him).

The idea that the Manga isn't canon is contradictory to itself because this is a time travel show. Have you even read the prologue? Or The Distant Valhalla? They might be on different divergence lines however it's still canon because Okarin put himself in those positions by choosing to time travel.

And about Okarin x Mayurii, this is one of the reasons why he is a retard. If she is such a huge support for him and vice versa, then why the hell is Okarin consistently trying to establish his own harem? He's been with Mayurii since childhood but would rather be surrounded by Tsunderes. It is never shown in the anime (at least to where I'm at in episode 15) that Okarin reciprocates any feelings Mayurii has towards him.

Lmao what. Okabe and Mayuri are friends. When did they ever give the impression of possibly being romantically interested in each other throughout the show? And when Okabe give the impression of constantly building a harem? Are you paying attention? Ruka and Kurisu are the only ones who want to date him, and he doesn't even think of Ruka that way.
>What does canon mean?
Just because it is a time travel show doesn't make any content about it cannon even if it could theoretically exist in different world lines.
 
Feb 28, 8:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
imeli said:
The idea that the Manga isn't canon is contradictory to itself because this is a time travel show. Have you even read the prologue? Or The Distant Valhalla? They might be on different divergence lines however it's still canon because Okarin put himself in those positions by choosing to time travel.

I didn't say *all* side material is non-canon. They are more like "what if" scenarios and explanations of other divergences that had the potential to happen. They are side material and you don't need them to understand the main plot.

imeli said:
And about Okarin x Mayurii, this is one of the reasons why he is a retard. If she is such a huge support for him and vice versa, then why the hell is Okarin consistently trying to establish his own harem? He's been with Mayurii since childhood but would rather be surrounded by Tsunderes. It is never shown in the anime (at least to where I'm at in episode 15) that Okarin reciprocates any feelings Mayurii has towards him.

Now I know you are a troll, but not sure if you are actually that retarded irl.

/Okabe doesn't hold real love feelings for Mayuri, she is more of a child friend to him.
 
Feb 28, 8:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
zumac said:
eyesalad said:
It has conspiracies, a plot that slowly builds on itself and gets more tense with each episode and cute girls. Of course most people are going to eat it up.


And that justifies a rating of 9.16?
Why don't all anime have such a high rating , because there are many out there that fit your description.
Not enough tuturuuuuu?

What are their names and how many of them are actually well made?
 
Feb 28, 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 3612
animesannin said:
I dropped Eureka Seven so why do you like it?

People can like anything they want.

1) I dont see a problem.

2) I liked the characters, I hate Tsunderes but Kurisu was bae. Characters seemed nice to me and THERE WAS CHARACTR development.

3) LOL, he literally jumped timelines to save Mayushi and she died every time. I think any real person would go a little paranoid over stuff like this.

4) I agree that it isnt mind blowing, but it works well with the concept.


Well the third point by op isn't even a valid point since

 
Feb 28, 8:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 3730
Because most people liked it. No, most people loved it (49.9% gave it a 10). And because most people like it, it's popular. Pretty easy to understand I would say.
To achieve Victory you must embrace Defeat.
 
Feb 28, 8:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 6430
@HamburgerSpike I think Coca>>>Pepsi, I'd still complain if a character interrupted a conversation every two eps in KlK to spend a minute telling us how Coca is awesome, stimulates brain cells, solves impotency and cures cancer.
 
Feb 28, 9:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
romagia said:
HamburgerSpike said:

Yo, I like Dr Pepper and I think its very underappreciated compared to like Cola, Fanta, Sprite and the rest. Ive never seen anyone buy it either
@romagia @zumac @kodial thanks, so the votes are 2-2, should I skip every second episode?

I guess ill try it in like year when I dont have stuff to watch
yes that sounds like the rational way of doing it

you can also try the "2 episodes on 2 monitors" method

zumac said:


And that justifies a rating of 9.16?
Why don't all anime have such a high rating , because there are many out there that fit your description.
Not enough tuturuuuuu?
conspiracies and time travel shaenanigans are a relatively rare theme
it's also one of the few shows with a "labcoat moe" main girl
and few "thriller" anime
and chuuni protag
it has many rare traits


Other than the time travel stuff, the appeal is actually cute girls and a cringy MC?
And it was'nt that thrilling. A good thriller anime would be Death Note. This shit is basically just save your cute girl with time traveling and conspiracies that went over most people's head and yet the same people gave it a 10.
 
Feb 28, 9:04 AM
Forum Moderator
Scary Person

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 10601
Thread moved to Sub-Board.
 
Feb 28, 9:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 304
It's a remarkable show.... Even Though I current manage to finish yet this series....

It's truly a worth time... watching the 1st part of the story which is much details which not even talk about...

The Butterfly Effect was explain very clear... and so instant

mystery behind of Kurisu's death is inducing

No matter.. you loop endlessly
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Feb 28, 9:10 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
Aquamirror said:
imeli said:
The idea that the Manga isn't canon is contradictory to itself because this is a time travel show. Have you even read the prologue? Or The Distant Valhalla? They might be on different divergence lines however it's still canon because Okarin put himself in those positions by choosing to time travel.

I didn't say *all* side material is non-canon. They are more like "what if" scenarios and explanations of other divergences that had the potential to happen. They are side material and you don't need them to understand the main plot.

imeli said:
And about Okarin x Mayurii, this is one of the reasons why he is a retard. If she is such a huge support for him and vice versa, then why the hell is Okarin consistently trying to establish his own harem? He's been with Mayurii since childhood but would rather be surrounded by Tsunderes. It is never shown in the anime (at least to where I'm at in episode 15) that Okarin reciprocates any feelings Mayurii has towards him.

Now I know you are a troll, but not sure if you are actually that retarded irl.

/Okabe doesn't hold real love feelings for Mayuri, she is more of a child friend to him.
eyesalad said:
imeli said:

The idea that the Manga isn't canon is contradictory to itself because this is a time travel show. Have you even read the prologue? Or The Distant Valhalla? They might be on different divergence lines however it's still canon because Okarin put himself in those positions by choosing to time travel.

And about Okarin x Mayurii, this is one of the reasons why he is a retard. If she is such a huge support for him and vice versa, then why the hell is Okarin consistently trying to establish his own harem? He's been with Mayurii since childhood but would rather be surrounded by Tsunderes. It is never shown in the anime (at least to where I'm at in episode 15) that Okarin reciprocates any feelings Mayurii has towards him.

Lmao what. Okabe and Mayuri are friends. When did they ever give the impression of possibly being romantically interested in each other throughout the show? And when Okabe give the impression of constantly building a harem? Are you paying attention? Ruka and Kurisu are the only ones who want to date him, and he doesn't even think of Ruka that way.
>What does canon mean?
Just because it is a time travel show doesn't make any content about it cannon even if it could theoretically exist in different world lines.

Actually, yes I have watched it. If I'm not mistaken at one point they ended up 70 million years in the past together trying to find each other through time travel. There is an episode of a flashback where Okabe basically tells her that he doesn't ever want her to leave him (Okabe's "hostage" lol). And all of that shit Okabe goes though trying to save his "childhood friend"? He travels back in time countless times hopelessly trying to save her from impending doom getting other people involved as well.

As for the harem, it's not extremely noticeable in the anime, but in the VN you can end up with Faris or even Ruka of all people. Kurisu and Moeka were also both invited to be "lab partners" and Mayushii has been there for a while. You can't honestly say with all of these alternate endings that it's not harem at some point.
 
Feb 28, 9:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
zumac said:
Other than the time travel stuff, the appeal is actually cute girls and a cringy MC?
And it was'nt that thrilling. A good thriller anime would be Death Note. This shit is basically just save your cute girl with time traveling and conspiracies that went over most people's head and yet the same people gave it a 10.

So time travel with detailed coherent plot is not enough of appeal for you?
You can treat every anime like that if you strip everything from it, say Death Note is basically "le imma god and save evrione from criminals XDDDDD"..

@imeli caring about someone and wanting to protect them doesn't mean you romantically love them.. The harem stuff is over-exaggaration, it might feel a bit like one, but there's so much more to it. See, Okabe isn't actually a psycho asshole and cares about the others around him, these endings have valid reasons to end like that.
Modified by Aquamirror, Feb 28, 9:13 AM
 
Feb 28, 9:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
@imeli Not all love is romantic, did your parents never love you or did you never have a friend that you cared deeply about?
 
Feb 28, 9:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
Aquamirror said:
zumac said:
Other than the time travel stuff, the appeal is actually cute girls and a cringy MC?
And it was'nt that thrilling. A good thriller anime would be Death Note. This shit is basically just save your cute girl with time traveling and conspiracies that went over most people's head and yet the same people gave it a 10.

So time travel with detailed coherent plot is not enough of appeal for you?
You can treat every anime like that if you strip everything from it, say Death Note is basically "le imma god and save evrione from criminals XDDDDD"..

@imeli caring about someone and wanting to protect them doesn't mean you romantically love them.. The harem stuff is over-exaggaration, it might feel a bit like one, but there's so much more to it. See, Okabe isn't actually a psycho asshole and cares about the others around him, these endings have valid reasons to end like that.


Well honestly I do like the series so I am going to finish the manga and anime as well, hopefully steins gate 0 comes out soon. It's just my belief that Okabe is an autistic megalomanic. You can think otherwise.

I might pick up the VN to experience all of the endings but with that being said, Okabe supposedly ends up a dictator, or with one of the female characters so it's very harem like.
 
Feb 28, 9:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
Aquamirror said:
zumac said:
Other than the time travel stuff, the appeal is actually cute girls and a cringy MC?
And it was'nt that thrilling. A good thriller anime would be Death Note. This shit is basically just save your cute girl with time traveling and conspiracies that went over most people's head and yet the same people gave it a 10.

So time travel with detailed coherent plot is not enough of appeal for you?


I never said anything against the time travel stuff, honestly I don't care that much about it. I aknowledge that Steins Gate is one of the few, maybe even the only anime out there that did it right, but for me everything else was'nt worth of a 9+ score.
 
Feb 28, 9:25 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
eyesalad said:
@imeli Not all love is romantic, did your parents never love you or did you never have a friend that you cared deeply about?

A "female" friend that I cared deeply about around the age of 18-20? No. I don't think that would have been possible or even is. They call it a friendzone for a reason.
A "female" friend that I cared about and had emotions of lust and affection for at the age of 18-20? Yes. Though it's been years now and things have changed.
 
Feb 28, 9:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 116
Oh boy, a thread for bashing S;G? *pulls up a chair and cracks knuckles*

First off, before I start ranting, let me address this appropriately:
HamburgerSpike said:
Can someone who has achieved objectively good taste tell me if Steins;Gate is really worth it? Its one of the few I havent seen from the top.

LOL. Objectively good taste is a myth. On the other hand, objectively bad taste is a thing. If you're looking for that, check out my profile. :P

Anyways, I had two main gripes with the series of which are kinda sorta mentioned within this thread, so I'll just go ahead and explain these problems further.

1) Character Interaction
Let me start by saying I actually found a good amount of the dialogue in S;G to be witty and entertaining. The way each of the characters bounced off of each other worked fairly well. That being said, I have no idea why these characters are actually interacting like this in the first place. I (like many of the people in this thread apparently) found Okabe to be an extremely annoying character and had to really stretch my suspension of disbelief to accept the idea that any of the other characters would willingly maintain a close relationship with him. The point of which the suspension of disbelief snaps however is in the case of Kurisu Makise. I cannot ever fathom how such a smart, austere character like Makise could possibly humor the delusional ravings of some random NEET who's shoving bananas in microwaves because SCIENCE. Their entire exchange feels so shoed in that the only scenario I could ever see these two actually becoming a pair is through a dating sim...oh wait. To be fair, I haven't played the VN yet and cannot judge the quality of it, however when adapting something into anime, the staff behind it should be thinking about how things should be translating into a new media. In this case, it just ends up sloppy and unsatisfying.

2) Pretentious Presentation
I don't know if this is something to do with the VN itself, but by god I found myself groaning the entire time by how "artsy" and "intense" the show was trying to act. Between the art, BGM, and general composition of scenes, I felt like S;G was pandering to a large audience of people who want to sound intelligent and analytical, but are unable to really delve down into technical and analyze intricacies. For an easy example, let's talk about the use of white space throughout. As any media analyst worth their salt would tell you, empty white spaces are utilized to convey a feeling of unease and a trance-like, surreal atmosphere. So how can we capitalize off this effect? I don't know, let's just throw white space excessively all over the screen in hopes that your average 15 year old will be able to pick up on this aesthetic idea and feel proud of their ability to recognize visual elements. In short, I felt the entire experience to be pandering and ungenuine. There was no heart behind this adaptation. They just wanted to convince everyone that they are deep and smart.

Alright, well that's enough of that. Sorry for not directly responding to the comment chain, just wanted to get out my full opinion. Also, I have yet to see Re;Zero, but if it is similar in its elements, boy howdy I'm gonna have a fun time ripping that one up.

Couple wet wipes case a weeb tries to touch me. EW.
-Nicki Minaj
 
Feb 28, 9:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
imeli said:
eyesalad said:
@imeli Not all love is romantic, did your parents never love you or did you never have a friend that you cared deeply about?

A "female" friend that I cared deeply about around the age of 18-20? No. I don't think that would have been possible or even is. They call it a friendzone for a reason.
A "female" friend that I cared about and had emotions of lust and affection for at the age of 18-20? Yes. Though it's been years now and things have changed.

Goddamn, you neckbeard, do you wanna fuck every female person you see? Okabe and Mayuri have had a deep bond since they were kids, not everyone is a horny shallow person like you who only cares about women as people he wants to have sex with.
@abhutrash If the shot composition achieves its aims in setting an atmosphere, then it does its job well enough, even if it is excessive at times.
Modified by eyesalad, Feb 28, 9:41 AM
 
Feb 28, 9:40 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
eyesalad said:
imeli said:

A "female" friend that I cared deeply about around the age of 18-20? No. I don't think that would have been possible or even is. They call it a friendzone for a reason.
A "female" friend that I cared about and had emotions of lust and affection for at the age of 18-20? Yes. Though it's been years now and things have changed.

Goddamn, you neckbeard, do you wanna fuck every female person you see? Okabe and Mayuri have had a deep bond since they were kids, not everyone is a horny shallow person like you who only cares about women as people he wants to have sex with.

Seems like you got a bit triggered there.
 
Feb 28, 9:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
imeli said:
I might pick up the VN to experience all of the endings but with that being said, Okabe supposedly ends up a dictator, or with one of the female characters so it's very harem like.

The dictator part is from a non-canon manga.
Simply speaking, Okabe ends up with another girl because he gave up.

imeli said:

A "female" friend that I cared deeply about around the age of 18-20? No. I don't think that would have been possible or even is. They call it a friendzone for a reason.
A "female" friend that I cared about and had emotions of lust and affection for at the age of 18-20? Yes. Though it's been years now and things have changed.

You sound like a pathetic beta neckbeard.
Mayuri might have feelings for him, but Okabe doesn't see her as a girlfriend.

@abhutrash
1. Think about who is Makise, what life she had lived and what people she had met. Seeing "normal" people with similar interesets "doing" her job in a "normal" way is completely eye opening experience. It's the first time she can pretend to be normal as well and try to live a normal life with normal people, and not be treated strictly academically as a prodigy scientist.
2. What??? what??? I don't even... There isn't much white space and overall color palette is pretty dark, it achieved the intended atmosphere perfectly together with the sound.

Re:Zero is basically SAO of time travel for edgy kids.
 
Feb 28, 9:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 70
imeli said:
eyesalad said:

Goddamn, you neckbeard, do you wanna fuck every female person you see? Okabe and Mayuri have had a deep bond since they were kids, not everyone is a horny shallow person like you who only cares about women as people he wants to have sex with.

Seems like you got a bit triggered there.

You didn't refute my point. Not everyone is like you who only thinks of the opposite gender as a sex object and is unable to form a good friendship with them.
 
Feb 28, 10:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
You don't see any difference between Re:Zero and Steins;Gate?
It's pretty obvious one is made for wish fullfilments Kirito fuck bois, while the other tells a serious and plausible story with actual suspense.

Studio is irrelevant when source material is made by completely different people.
Modified by Aquamirror, Feb 28, 10:07 AM
 
Feb 28, 10:03 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 738
eyesalad said:
imeli said:

Seems like you got a bit triggered there.

You didn't refute my point. Not everyone is like you who only thinks of the opposite gender as a sex object and is unable to form a good friendship with them.

I'm not really trying to refute your point because at this rate you're just trying to argue by dishing out insults. I don't think of the opposite gender as "sex-objects" but I'm sure as hell not going to try to "just be friends" with an attractive girl around my age that I like. That's some high level orbiter shit right there.
 
Feb 28, 10:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
Subaru isn't anything like Kirito. He has more similarities with Okabe. Suspense is something I didn't feel from any of them. Steins Gate tried to explain its stuff. Rezero didn't. Thats it. Other than that, it's almost the same show.
 
Feb 28, 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 762
zumac said:
@Aquamirror
Subaru isn't anything like Kirito. He has more similarities with Okabe. Suspense is something I didn't feel from any of them. Steins Gate tried to explain its stuff. Rezero didn't. Thats it. Other than that, it's almost the same show.

In that case, you are either blind or mentally challenged.
 
Feb 28, 10:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 159
Aquamirror said:
zumac said:
@Aquamirror
Subaru isn't anything like Kirito. He has more similarities with Okabe. Suspense is something I didn't feel from any of them. Steins Gate tried to explain its stuff. Rezero didn't. Thats it. Other than that, it's almost the same show.

In that case, you are either blind or mentally challenged.


You can hate the show, because it ripped off your favouite anime. But saying that it's content is shit, while liking almost the same, is nonsense.
 
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »