Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Post New Reply
Mar 2, 7:38 PM

When a series is good it becomes popular and commercial.

Mar 3, 12:58 AM

Otaku pandering anime that is not that bad, that's why.

Mar 3, 1:11 AM

I strongly disagree @Ynwe

Mar 3, 2:04 AM

Because it has a fantastic story, uses time travel in a very interesting manner and Okabe is one of the best mc you'll find in the medium. In fact, I'd say it should be even more popular than what it is
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...

Mar 3, 6:16 PM

Sometimes it is just simply demoralizing to see people lambasting a show's plot when it is clearly their fault for not giving a full attention to it. Or for their lack of certain prerequisite knowledge to be able to comprehend it thematically; actually scratch that, just by giving a full attention is enough for you to have it and able to tell this show's strong points.

Not finding it aligned to your liking after paying attention to it, is entirely something else. But I cannot help but to scoff at every comments with those aforementioned reason in them.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others

Mar 4, 10:09 AM

Looks like once again, no one's gonna respond to my wall of text on the previous page... okay then.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"

Mar 4, 10:13 AM
That's because steins gate is able to produce a story SOLELY on the different variations of time and its effects, while still being really understandable and enjoyable. Other shows that bring in the concept of time travel just make viewers go 'i have no idea what's happening', but not this.

Mar 25, 11:05 AM
I found it really hard to get interested in this anime till eps 11. the episodes were very boring and the events were slow. I did not get the point on why it is high rated. However, after the episode 11, I enjoyed it. All of all, it is average anime.

Apr 14, 3:45 AM

Simply: It appeals to a huge majority of anime fans.

About the rating, it's not a typical kind of appeal like most other shows.. it's THRILLING. The plot twists/sudden revelations killed, if not you, most of us. Well, that's just my thoughts.

But anyway.. maybe because its use of sci-fi is a bit unique?
Signature textified. Please follow AX3M to see what led him to this textification or see his anime list for unbelievable scores and hentai titles.

Apr 18, 12:16 AM
Im new to anime so i cant compare SG to similar or popular anime. But i personally loved the story. This was by far my favorite one yet.
I loved he had close friends that accepted his weird dillusions, he built his lab up with more people he cared about, unlocked mysteries together. But it all came crashing down when his actions caused his friend to die. The battle he fought to save her, the time he took to support his friends (even the girl who was a dude) all wearing down on him. And he did it with the help of a girl he eventually loved.
Then after all that, have to sacrifice one for the other. After all that said his future self dedicated his life to correct the past so he could restart his future.

For me i got lost in it all. Engulfed by the story. Maybe because im new to anime but it was a great story. But they did a great job on making me feel how he felt through it all.

Apr 21, 3:57 PM

The only flaw in this anime is kurisu

Apr 21, 4:21 PM

Why does a piece of litmus paper turn red or blue? The way you respond to the show is different from the majority. Simple as that.

For me, I felt that the scenario was the most important factor in liking the show. It was hard to go through the first episode, but I definitely felt like I wanted to know more. That's probably what most people felt while watching. It's not a ridiculously complicated story if you take a step back from it. A man discovers a time machine, and fate conspires against him for coming in contact with a conspiracy.

The characters are very flavourful if you do not have much prior experience with modern character archetypes. Despite that, the show does not need much more than simple empathy to watch, because what you are experiencing is the thoughts and feelings of a man who managed to get himself trapped in a paradoxical situation. This is similar to stories like Death Note, where the main character is not exactly one you agree with entirely, but you still want to find out what happens in the end.

The atmosphere itself seems to have been lost on you, if you believe the tempo was a bit hot and cold. Until the midway point of the show, it was supposed to be a balance of mystery behind the experiments, with a side of innocence and naivity. The characters do some things that are very ignorant of the big picture, which adds to the realism. Think of Shinji from Evangelion, where we all want him to get into the robot, but he is responding to the situation like a realistic teenager. It's pretty much like that.

I think the ultimate deciding factor on the show is whether or not you are able to suspend your disbelief in the characters and get sucked into the atmosphere of the show. Time travel is ultimately something that cannot exist, and the original material from the VN goes at great lengths to tell you this as a way of showing you that the story is not supposed to be scrutinized by the rules of reality too much.

As a Sci;Adv fan, I see Steins;Gate for what it is. I don't really care to convince anyone to like it if they don't already. Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes aren't well received, so it's safe to say that not everyone is going to like Steins;Gate either. If you didn't like it, that's okay.
Modified by Syrup-, Apr 21, 4:24 PM

Apr 21, 4:33 PM
it's amazing how many times this has been brought back from the dead. i still haven't finished steins gate because I haven't read all of the manga and side stories from the other divergences and to add to that, Steins;Gate 0 still hasn't came out yet which leaves this story incomplete. For now it will be on hold.

Apr 21, 5:10 PM

imeli said:
it's amazing how many times this has been brought back from the dead. i still haven't finished steins gate because I haven't read all of the manga and side stories from the other divergences and to add to that, Steins;Gate 0 still hasn't came out yet which leaves this story incomplete. For now it will be on hold.
The side material is largely irrelevant to Steins;Gate itself. In the first place, Steins;Gate 0 is comprised from the side stories such as the drama cds, some of the mangas, etc. One could literally only watch Steins;gate and get a complete experience. Everything else is just fluff.

Apr 22, 4:23 AM

imeli said:

Steins;Gate 0 already got an english release for consoles. You can even apply the translation from there onto a Japanese PC release trough a patch.
And no, the original Steins;Gate is more than enough to tell you everything you need to understand the story. Almost all other side material is non-canon, S;G and S;G 0 are the only things that matter.

Daily reminder Madoka:Rebellion is absolute fucking dogshit.

Apr 22, 8:11 AM
Aquamirror said:
imeli said:

Steins;Gate 0 already got an english release for consoles. You can even apply the translation from there onto a Japanese PC release trough a patch.
And no, the original Steins;Gate is more than enough to tell you everything you need to understand the story. Almost all other side material is non-canon, S;G and S;G 0 are the only things that matter.

so you're telling me that "The Braunian Motion of Love and Hate", The Steins Gate OVA, The Distant Valhalla and Episode 23b aren't canon to the story? What's the point then?

Apr 22, 8:42 AM

imeli said:
Aquamirror said:

so you're telling me that "The Braunian Motion of Love and Hate", The Steins Gate OVA, The Distant Valhalla and Episode 23b aren't canon to the story? What's the point then?

Well, "Braunian motion" and "Distant Valhalla" are canon, as they are things that happened and are mentioned in the original story but follow Suzuha's point of view. They might provide more insight, but aren't exactly something we didn't know from the anime.
Episode 23b is Steins;Gate 0's beginning, so it's canon.
Movie and OVA are most likely not canon, as they contradict some stuff from the original story (especially the movie) and aren't made by the same authors.

Also, while Steins;Gate 0 is based on the Epigraph Trilogy, there were also a lot of retcons/changes, so the trilogy isn't considered the official canon anymore.

And there are many other alternative divergence stories that aren't linked with the main one, so they aren't canon either. They might still refer to facts that are canonically correct and known from the main story though.

Daily reminder Madoka:Rebellion is absolute fucking dogshit.

Apr 23, 6:30 AM

The problem which I have with some of the more recent and top shows such as S;G is how the majority of viewers who have rated these shows have been watching anime for a long span of time and haven't really developed a critical stand-point on what makes an anime compelling for themselves. Many people are too fixated on satisfying the need to watch the next 'great' anime that they lose the need to criticize the anime fearing that the ratings would go under or that they're viewed as 'unintelligent'.

Shows like FMA:B are at the top due to the fact that they're using themes which help connect viewers and not presenting themes which challenge the viewer. This, mixed with the fact that there hasn't been a completed show with a unique setting in the most recent of years. In my own opinion a-lot of the MAL ratings on newer shows I've noticed are made on the primary basis of how the anime looks good or if its funny.

S;G is by no means a bad show, however, it's neither an extravaganza in the anime industry. The primary problem is that because people rate it so highly, the opinions of those who take a critical and analyzing stand-point are often destitute. As a result these people often to look for more hostile takes on a show to get a point across, an example being how people flock to ThatAnimeSnob's harsh reviews of over-hyped shows.

I personally gave S;G an 8 (Rounded 8.20) which I placed at my 10th best rated show just below Kekkai Sensen which I gave an 8.25.

Although irrelevant and egotistical but as a hobby of mine which started when I was 11 was creating stories to publish. The book which I've been working on for the last year as a hobby in my own bias is a-lot better than S;G as it explores the themes of time-travel more clearly and focuses more on time itself than the psychological consequences with a FMA feel of antagonists to it.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]