May 2016
Because it different
KozomoSep 14, 2017 3:26 PM
Sep 14, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
because a lot of people liked it a lot?
Oct 31, 2017 3:58 PM

Oct 2017
Damm these threads are repetitive as fuck on this website. With every popular anime its like "why is it so well received? Is it overrated etc."
Nov 10, 2017 9:19 PM
Nihilist

Nov 2017
S;G does not portray time travel in a way that is in harmony with the current understanding of 'time' in physics. This was addressed at some length in the VN by Makise Kurisu (a neuroscientist) - which demonstrated how ignorant or inconsiderate Okabe's understanding of the interconnected and deterministic view of the universe was, especially in light of Einstein's theory of relativity:
Time and space are intertwined, making it impossible to rewind time as it creates an infinite loop paradox.
To humans, time is not a concept that is intuitive to grasp, so we are under the illusion that time travels from A to B denoted by a change of state that can be noticed and measured by humans... but we can't yet really say that such is the nature of the fourth dimension. There might be no B and it could be that every event and every series of events (with exceptions in subatomic particle levels) is/are causally linked in a specific chain from the very start, which to my limited understanding, is to say that there is only A.
The S;G series bypasses the paradoxes and the impossibility of time travel by actually avoiding traditional time travel altogether and invoking parallel universes in a way that lands them in a slightly different kind of hot water among our scientific community. Jumping into an alternate time, space and however many other dimensions within that universe is itself quite unimaginable. The multiverse theory is logical and potentially necessary for explaining many things about the nature of the known universe, but the jumping between them in 'worldlines' is the unimaginable part (for me at least). It would be the same as invoking some mythological deity. But I suspect that accounting for those details would be above the pay grade of the show's writer(s). I don't begrudge them for that because they're already delving into fantasy, and they can write their stories and details however it suits them. I am a biologist, not a physicist. So take that as a comment about S;G's use of adequate time travel.

OP, if you didn't find S;G appealing and just found it to be overrated disappointment, that's cool. Nothing wrong with that. At least you reached out and asked about what the fuss was. I suspect you already knew but you needed to make a statement that could grab a bit of notoriety, or perhaps you needed to hear from people other than the fanatics of S;G. All I can do here is just try to build a perspective. I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

On the characters, a lot of people can't stand Okabe because Okabe is mostly pretending to be stubborn and obnoxious since they role-play as Hououin Kyouma (a stubborn and obnoxious alter-ego) on queue during clichéd scenes. I suspect this act is for Mayuri's sake. That's how he handles relationships with close friends. Most people wouldn't relate to this and wouldn't find it amusing - unless they were a paranoid, misanthropic, eccentric, schizophrenic mad scientist (with some extent of childish delusions about reality and society). Guess what? This is the only anime that does a pretty good attempt at portraying that kind of character (with the possible exception of Stein from Souleater, Orochimaru from Naruto and the lunatic scientist squad captain from Bleach - but they're not quite mad in the same way as Okabe). I am one of them. I can actually relate to this character (and two others in S;G), whereas I can't relate to many other protagonists in many other anime because I don't share any of their world views or quirks. I like to declare my insanity and make up alter-egos as I run off shouting about how obsessed I am with this new bacteria that I've just scraped out of a corpse, even though I know it's not a big deal and nobody else cares. The flare is to add minute dramatic effect, which enriches a character in a unique way that appeals to viewers with similar personality disorders. I would rate the anime a 10 just for that alone. It plays a huge part in the enjoyment factor.

Mayuri might indeed seem to be an airhead on the surfaces shown, but Mayuri has a good grasp upon reality and a more 'down-to-earth' perspective on things. They needed at least one character in there to show some significant contrast. I suspect that the airhead act is a persona constructed by Mayuri to keep Okabe from the verge of a serious mental breakdown; Mayuri also uses this persona to continue roleplaying into obvious baits set out by Hououin Kyouma as part of the hostage and captor agreement. Okabe is not in touch with reason and reality, is depressed by their own circumstances in life - Okabe needs Mayuri as a crutch with which to stand. This would make Okabe look almost helpless and hopeless. So, too, would I, but that doesn't mean that I was not top 1% in my continent for cognitive ability, or that I am not a competent biologist because I am mad and throw dramatic, childish temper tantrums on a frequent basis. I don't take other humans seriously enough to give them anything else. But I can understand why Okabe is not very appealing to many. They're not a badass character. I wouldn't like them as much if they were (I usually dislike badasses, heroes and such). Beneath their superficial facade of Hououin Kyouma that they use to interact with other humans that may intimidate them, is a broken person. Hououin Kyouma is just a shield and sword constructed in the form of a personality that attempts to provide Okabe with a quick escape that would absolve them from their social and umm... 'professional' responsibilities. I do the same. If used extensively, when my next evil plan goes wrong, my pseudonym would carry that reputation whilst my actual identity would remain mostly unscathed. This allows me to be more willing to take risks and generally be an obnoxious turd on forums and get away with it. I'm not the only one that gets brave when using online handles. Okabe does the same and I for one appreciate the nonsense. It's quite lighthearted compared to the events that transpired in my life. I've lost more than one friend in the past. One of which shattered my life over two decades ago and caused me to develop a different aspect of my personality. I made irrational decisions. I was powerless. Okabe did the same shit. We're not prepared for that moment when harsh reality shatters our perfect little worlds.

There are other aspects about Okabe and some of the dialogue that are actually brilliant but lost that shine when translated from VN to anime. Okabe says some rather profound things about the epistemic limits of scientific knowledge in an abridged way, but with their own personal twists and quirks added in, which is just not there in many other anime because quite often the protagonists are only marginally eccentric - which is a huge let-down, universally. It's the quirky little things that happened in the first 10 episodes - those very same things that disappointed some critics because the pace was not there for them - that had me falling in love with the characters more and more. It made me feel as though there might be some (fictional) people out there that could perhaps understand my seemingly delusional ramblings when I simply talk to myself.

I can relate to Okabe (as a paranoid schizophrenic mad scientist) and also Makise (as a science enthusiast) as these are the only kind of people in my life that I can actually have meaningful discussions with because I have much in common with them. Heck, my partner is a prodigy among their peers and is curious and argumentative much like Makise. However, there is something else about this series that made me fall in love with S;G. Again, it comes down to personal stuff. There is this really stupid character introduced in the first episode that became my favourite character. This character was the annoying Lukako. I was blown away.
I'm aware that most people aren't partial to this character's dilemma because it probably has nothing much to do with them personally. And that's ok. For myself in particular, this simple anime hit some of the right buttons in the right ways. The characters weren't exactly two-dimensional and shallow if you could relate to them in some way. I actually found these characters to be quite likable and real, in much the same way I did the otaku in Kuragahime. Finally, they made anime characters that didn't seem like regular and boring people, I thought to myself. I understand that my opinion is nonsense to most. That's not my problem.

As for the waifu thing, I wasn't that interested in the romance part because I'm aromantic. I found the interactions between the two protagonists annoying at first because they just didn't understand each other. As the series progressed, Makise kind of grew on me. I think of them in an endearing manner. The VN also seemed like a story heavy dating simulator, but I was able to just ignore that. In doing so, I may have missed the whole point of Steins;Gate, but I had other reasons to explore this story. They do explore theories more adequately in the VN. I was curious to see how humans would attempt to rationalize these specific sci-fi/fantasy scenarios.

S;G isn't without its flaws and I can understand the criticisms to it. But perhaps all it took was influential reviewers having a positive experience with the series and bringing it to the spotlight and developing a hype, as it would. S;G seems to have stuck around for 5-6 years so far but I don't know if it is a timeless classic. It is still my most favourite anime. White Fox Studio also made the anime 'Jormungand,' which I also loved. It also had a few strange and eccentric characters, realism, despair etc. but it didn't get the same kind of hype or reviews. Perhaps S;G just happened to have the right character tropes or the right themes or story design for the time. I was also surprised to see that it had such high ratings and reviews. I thought it would have a small niche of dedicated fans just because the main character was too obnoxious or that there wasn't enough overly sexualized content for an anime targeted toward adult men. Or have I completely misunderstood other anime fans?
neerablattopteraNov 12, 2017 12:09 PM
Nov 11, 2017 6:06 PM
Mar 2016
I'm not the most avid anime watcher but I think what makes Steins Gate so good to me personally is how all the different aspects of it comes together. It starts with an interesting idea in terms of the concept of time travel and world lines which while it's not the first anime to attempt it still feels original. It sticks with the idea throughout and handles it in a well executed way apart from some more minor inconsistencies. I would say that alone makes it worth a watch but then it also has a memorable cast of characters. Okabe at least does get a good amount of character development. As the story progresses you learn about why he adopted this mad scientist persona and how it has affect him and he becomes increasingly desensitized from his time travelling experience. It would be kind of difficult to give that same level of development to the other characters due to how Okabe is traversing the different world lines. In short while I can see how this may bother some people I feel it made sense in the context of the plot.

Another thing I particularly like about the show is how it mixes so many different elements and themes without making one feel overbearing. It manages to have science fiction, comedy and drama all at the same time without pulling you out of the experience. I don't particularly like romance in anime most of the time because of it typically feeling forced and like it suppresses the personality of those involved, SAO was to me one example of this as I found that show to be the opposite of Steins Gate. It completely grabbed me with the concept and the drama at first until it became completely centered around the romance between Kirito and Asuna and how that overtook pretty much everything else feeling like the plot was dumbed down. In contrast I actually quite like how it was handled in here. It was given enough attention to keep you invested but not so much that it took complete precedence over the main plot and it leads to quite an interesting conflict later on.

The only big weakness I saw in the show is that it starts as a very slow burn and didn't really grab me until a few episodes in which can be somewhat problematic for an anime of such short length. I was actually considering dropping it but stuck with it and I'm glad I did because the pay off definitely felt worth it, but I could see many people dropping it before it starts to really pick up.

On a side note it also doesn't hurt that it has one of my favorite anime openings, very catchy.
ZaccAttackNov 26, 2017 10:16 AM
Nov 20, 2017 7:44 AM

Nov 2017
Well its your opinion so I can't judge but theres one thing you said that bugged me... Okabe (even though he does stupid ass shit) for me is a realistic portrayal of human in that kind of situation. I mean your friend is dying over and over again and you can't do anything to stop even though you want to. Of course you would go batshit crazy making decisions, stupid or not. For me, that is what makes Okarin an understanding guy for me... (don't forget the mad scientist scene, fucking gold)

Nov 23, 2017 3:59 PM

Sep 2013
8oomer said:
People giving out 9's/10's for S;G just have selective and short memory.

Another possibility: People appreciate a slow burn before shit hits the fan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2017 8:07 PM
Dec 2014
1)It's a shounen and rated PG-13 what do you expect
2) Because it's a show that focus on time travel theories ,you can't really have characters development using that direction

3) An main character who never makes mistakes is boring

4) A story don't need to be minblowing to be good and enjoyable.

Finally I respect your opinion.
Dec 3, 2017 8:51 PM
Jul 2017
Bobby2Hands said:
ooh, let me grab my popcorn, this is gonna be fun ^^

OT: I found Steins Gate to be a bit overrated, still a decent anime but far from a masterpiece.

It is a masterpiece for me though.
Dec 6, 2017 6:58 AM

Oct 2015
this thread is more relevant if you wrote it in 2011
lazy_ModifierDec 6, 2017 7:03 AM
Dec 6, 2017 8:10 AM

Dec 2016
Ynwe said:

1) its either very childish and then suddenly serious. Dunno for me the tempo of the show just didn't fit

4) story. It really isn't that creative or mindblowing. It has a nice idea, but not much more

These were just some of the things that irked me while watching it. Usually MAL serves as a very good indicator, but for me this show was really average.

I agree with these two points. And lulz@MAL's ratings. They're a joke. A LOT of anime (esp shounen/seinen) have ratings much higher than they deserve. SG is good for 8, but an average of 9 is way too much.
Dec 25, 2017 11:29 AM

Apr 2016
If I were to critically examine every anime I watch under an ultra nanoscope, it would all be okay to shit. This series is good if you just watch it without trying to scrutinize every moment. It's appeal is clearly in how accessible it is, if you just watch it on it's own, it's pretty great regardless if you like anime very much or not.
Dec 26, 2017 3:47 AM

Feb 2013
I was looking forward to it for a long time. Didnt know much about it but from the looks I thought the main character is an actual adult, not another man-child protagonist that all the women are attracted to. (the fact that its a visual novel adaptation should have been a clue, I know)

I also thought that it would involve a greater world/story, not just focus on the little lab and the little world of its main protagonist.

Actually, if I had to list everything that dissapointed me, I would have to list everything. Gotta say, this was the biggest disappointment in anime I can think of. Mostly due to how highly rated it is.

Ruka best girl though.
Dec 26, 2017 4:04 AM

Feb 2016
Because people have opinions and they can like whatever they want. I like Steins;Gate for various reasons.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Apr 29, 2018 9:29 AM
Feb 2016
It is totally overrated, I think it is popular because of a combination of
1) People seem to think they are smart for understanding the plot (they are not).
2) It is a harem anime that doesn't look like one, so instead of looking like weirdos for liking it they look like people with good taste because hey, time travel!
3) It is very similar to what an anime version of those visual novels (a harem one) with routes, and those are also popular for some reason.

The time travel is done wrong, the plot is really slow paced, the plot twist at the end is a common cliché for anyone who has ever read a book, the characters are plain and without development, the characters are stereotypical therefore not original, the design of the characters is simple and unoriginal, and etc.
May 2, 2018 1:37 AM

Nov 2015
Just your typical hate thread.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2018 1:40 AM

Nov 2015
dokidoki said:
you're questioning a lot of things today. Steins;Gate is a masterpiece only intellectuals understand.
Oh my f***ing God... nice one! These stupid idiots don't get it lol.
May 2, 2018 1:51 AM

Apr 2018
It's full of well designed waifu. It also has a trap
what do you expect?
May 2, 2018 2:57 AM

Aug 2017
- People have problem with rushed stories
- They have problem with slow paced stories
- People have problem with others liking something they don't like

I don't know what people want anymore or is it that they simply like complaining about something. You are free to hate and dislike something but trying to dictate it as something like it's the objective opinion is really annoying.
May 2, 2018 3:02 AM

Nov 2016
Because it was a hit back when it released and through the years more people got to known the anime.
May 2, 2018 5:26 AM

Sep 2011
Finally able to watch this. Currently on episode 6.

Why the fuck almost every character has some form of brain damage?
Is it supposed to be humorous?
Was this series should be treated with seriousness?

Please tell me that this will get better soon.
May 3, 2018 8:26 AM
Jul 2017
The_Mad_Wizard said:
Finally able to watch this. Currently on episode 6.

Why the fuck almost every character has some form of brain damage?
Is it supposed to be humorous?
Was this series should be treated with seriousness?

Please tell me that this will get better soon.

Have some brain damage yourself from mid to the end lol
May 4, 2018 3:07 PM
Jan 2017
Ynwe said:
Straight off, I dislike the anime. From all the 8.5+ rated anime it is probably my biggest disappointment. I find the anime to have a bunch of issues:

1) its either very childish and then suddenly serious. Dunno for me the tempo of the show just didn't fit

2) characters are super flat. Fat nerd, b-baka! type tsundere main girl, and all others also follow a very generic stereotype. Also no character development. Even if the timeline is rather short and repeated, the characters feel lifeless for me

3) Okarin.. The main character does a bunch of stupid shit, for example when he is desperately trying to save a certain person, his actions he takes are beyond pathetic and if he would get caught once, would be final... He involves everyone anyway, but they have to drag it out of him.

4) story. It really isn't that creative or mindblowing. It has a nice idea, but not much more

These were just some of the things that irked me while watching it. Usually MAL serves as a very good indicator, but for me this show was really average.

And every time I try to ask this question, people tend to get REALLY offended (looking at your /r/anime). Just a few minutes ago a person tried to convince me that the anime is a seinen one and how dare I call it a rather typical shonen one.. (and its not like I dislike shonen anyway, just finished re zero and eureka seven and liked both of those)

So could you guys tell me what I am missing? What makes this anime supposedly so great that makes it deserve a 9+ rating here?
okay its a bit overrated but still its not a bad anime at all infact its one of the better ones. And it sure as hell does not deserve a 3 rating. You like re zero more than steins gate there's gotta be something wrong with you.
May 7, 2018 8:20 AM

Dec 2015
I actually think - as someone already mentioned - the main reason are the "waifus". Kurisu seems pretty popular. (Even though I liked Mayushii much more.) There are other types of waifus. But she probably is one of the most popular tsundere and I have to admit her voice actress maintains a certain level of "fappability" for the characters voice.

I guess that's why it is hyped. Other than that it is just your usual time travel anime ... and even with lots of annoying stuff. (Too long with 1/2 or 2/3 of the episodes it would have been better. Lots of unnecessary stuff. Especially at 1-6 and then later at around let's say 15-16 to 21/22.)

I heard from some people that read the VN to all the "science games" (or what they call it ... with the semicolon on the name ; ) that for Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate it is recommended to read the VN only (or at least first before watching the anime). And anime is only a bonus for fans of the VN.

While Robotics;Notes is good to watch as standalone without VN knowledge. (I have watched it as well and it seems the best out of the 3 to me - haven't read any of the VNs ... seems to have had the best directing/script writing for the anime adaption. Though it had his own - different - weaknesses at the last third of the episodes.)
May 19, 2018 1:37 PM
Nihilist

Nov 2017
I don't think of Makise Kurisu as a suitable 'waifu.' That's just squandered potential. Makise is quite a strong character with ambition and game-changing intellectual ability (in the VN at least). I suspect that if anyone was to be partnered with Makise, they would become the waifu (not Makise). I would consider myself rather privileged to be Makise's (or Okabe's) waifu, although I find neither of them romantically interesting characters. As for fetishes on the other hand... hehehe.

But I can see clearly just how much the Steins;Gate community is obsessed with the Kurisu character. That might be what draws in the niche crowds and ratings. And S;G did get rather high reviews from popular reviewers (and S;G 0 looks to be doing the same). I hope S;G remains relevant for much time yet to come. I need the merch!
May 25, 2018 9:00 AM
Feb 2018
Its popular and its awsmmm.....
To pick a topic of time machine and theory of relativity which has not been explained by the scientist and also presented with least no. Of plot holes possible ... i think this show is best in itself10/10
OrekiHoutarou123May 25, 2018 9:23 AM
Aug 11, 2018 7:28 AM

Jan 2018
well,probably because it's fucking good if not the best anime ever
Aug 12, 2018 5:52 AM
May 2015
Boobsftw said:

If you are like 14-16 years old maybe... How on earth it could be considered close to even top quality is besides me. Would be sad for the anime medium if this harem anime is considered the best of all time
Aug 12, 2018 6:04 AM

Jan 2018
Ynwe said:
Boobsftw said:

If you are like 14-16 years old maybe... How on earth it could be considered close to even top quality is besides me. Would be sad for the anime medium if this harem anime is considered the best of all time

well you sound like an anime elitist so i won bother arguing with you
Aug 12, 2018 6:57 AM
May 2015
Boobsftw said:
Ynwe said:

well you sound like an anime elitist so i won bother arguing with you

Not much I can argue against when all you say is "its possibly the best anime of all time" without any reasoning...
Sep 27, 2018 12:05 PM
Aug 2014
Ynwe said:
Straight off, I dislike the anime. From all the 8.5+ rated anime it is probably my biggest disappointment. I find the anime to have a bunch of issues:

2) characters are super flat. Fat nerd, b-baka! type tsundere main girl, and all others also follow a very generic stereotype. Also no character development. Even if the timeline is rather short and repeated, the characters feel lifeless for me

3) Okarin.. The main character does a bunch of stupid shit, for example when he is desperately trying to save a certain person, his actions he takes are beyond pathetic and if he would get caught once, would be final... He involves everyone anyway, but they have to drag it out of him.

And every time I try to ask this question, people tend to get REALLY offended (looking at your /r/anime). Just a few minutes ago a person tried to convince me that the anime is a seinen one and how dare I call it a rather typical shonen one.. (and its not like I dislike shonen anyway, just finished re zero and eureka seven and liked both of those)

So could you guys tell me what I am missing? What makes this anime supposedly so great that makes it deserve a 9+ rating here?

Op, first let me say that people have different opinions. The majority of people liked it. Why that is up to the individual (there are some good comments here in this forum why that is).

Second, you need to know the times when this anime was released in. This anime began during the times that fate/zero, blue exorcist, hunter x hunter, guilty crown, and puella magi madoka... was still airing. The culture of anime (at least in the usa) was different back than. Anime was considered to be a niece culture and the only way to watch it was to watch it was do to it illegally online (there was no crunchyroll service back then). This was so long ago that I was still in high school. The times was vastly different and I would reckon that it was rated so high because of that fact (it is considered to be a classic anime now). It was a pretty unique anime back then. That is most likely one of the reasons why it is so popular imo.
ThePrimordial26Oct 19, 2018 2:23 AM
Sep 27, 2018 12:35 PM
Aug 2014
NeeraCockroach said:
S;G does not portray time travel in a way that is in harmony with the current understanding of 'time' in physics. This was addressed at some length in the VN by Makise Kurisu (a neuroscientist) - which demonstrated how ignorant or inconsiderate Okabe's understanding of the interconnected and deterministic view of the universe was, especially in light of Einstein's theory of relativity:
Time and space are intertwined, making it impossible to rewind time as it creates an infinite loop paradox.
To humans, time is not a concept that is intuitive to grasp, so we are under the illusion that time travels from A to B denoted by a change of state that can be noticed and measured by humans... but we can't yet really say that such is the nature of the fourth dimension. There might be no B and it could be that every event and every series of events (with exceptions in subatomic particle levels) is/are causally linked in a specific chain from the very start, which to my limited understanding, is to say that there is only A.
The S;G series bypasses the paradoxes and the impossibility of time travel by actually avoiding traditional time travel altogether and invoking parallel universes in a way that lands them in a slightly different kind of hot water among our scientific community. Jumping into an alternate time, space and however many other dimensions within that universe is itself quite unimaginable. The multiverse theory is logical and potentially necessary for explaining many things about the nature of the known universe, but the jumping between them in 'worldlines' is the unimaginable part (for me at least). It would be the same as invoking some mythological deity. But I suspect that accounting for those details would be above the pay grade of the show's writer(s). I don't begrudge them for that because they're already delving into fantasy, and they can write their stories and details however it suits them. I am a biologist, not a physicist. So take that as a comment about S;G's use of adequate time travel.

I think you need to look at more at physics to draw that conclusion on time-travel. For instance, I would read some of michio kaku work or even this article for a starter: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-marc-space/time-travel.html. The jury is still out on if time-travel is possible or not.

ThePrimordial26Oct 19, 2018 2:20 AM
Nov 22, 2018 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
It's quite overrated in my opinion. Basically with a rating of nine, if I was to compare it to a movie. You're comparing Stein's Gate to the Dark Knight. That's ridiculous in itself. The concept of Stein's Gate is good and it's quite interesting, it also had decent art. But it doesn't particularly shine at all in an artistic perspective. Anime like Attack on Titan shine much better with thrilling action scenes and indulging mystery and better characters. Stein's Gate is a Sci-Fi show, a proper one which is why it's overrated. It's hard to make an anime that does well in the Science Fiction genre. It's what you call, a unique show. It certainly doesn't deserve over 9, but it certainly doesn't deserve 8.5. It's a well written show with some great dialogue and unique concepts. But it certainly is overrated.
Dec 26, 2018 4:55 PM

May 2016
ABDoesThings said:
Anime like Attack on Titan shine much better with thrilling action scenes and indulging mystery and better characters.

This is the most hilarious statement which I have ever read on MAL.

Did you just compare an average and ovarrated battleshounen which has poorly written main characters with Steins;Gate which is critically acclaimed by the casual anime watchers, critics and anime-experts from anime-industry too?

The only good points in AoT are the music, the art, and the mood. Any other is just a cliché. The characters are poorly written. The story is excellent and mysterious overall, but it's really poorly built-up.

Steins;Gate has mystery too, from the beginning to the end. Even there are things in the first episode, which are important in the last episode too, and there are things too, which are not explained until the very end, but then, every piece of puzzle will go to its place by the end. I never saw any anime where all little details become important by the end. Just this.

Also, Steins;Gate built-up its characters well. Every characters had impact on the story, and every characters have their own little background story and personality too. This show used the first 12 episodes to build everything up, and the last 12 episodes to conclude everything correctly, and show us, why are these characters behave always strangely. And every character had a unique reason for behaving like that.

And, what truly gives Steins;Gate popularity, it's how it manages time travel. This is a time travel story without any paradoxes. This is undoubtedly the most logical time travel story which was ever written. Not just in anime. Among everything. It is even more logical than Doctor Who (not suprised by the fact that Okabe was elected as the top time traveler in USA instead of one of the Doctors or Marty McFly: https://challonge.com/toptimetraveler)
-
Jan 3, 2019 4:26 AM
Aug 2017
Please keep in mind that:

1) This is MY opinion.
2) I have watched s;g a year ago.

There are things that might make S;G annoying like the slow pace at the beggining and others that were already adressed; BUT I enjoyed this anime so much because the story telling is amazing it isn't a simple linear story, instead we get clue by clue from the begging that are like puzzle pieces, and I perssonaly didn't understand anything until a point in the series where piece by piece started to be connected thus giving birth to the plot. I feel like many people might not like this kind of story telling and think it's stupid but I loved it + the fact that there isn't a single story because there are 3 different world lines(3 whole different stories) and everything connects so beutifully the 2 series + the film. Other than that I find Okabe to be one of the best developed characters that I've ever seen given that the whole anime cosists of 48 episodes and a 1:30 h movie.
Jan 12, 2019 2:38 PM

May 2016
Iammarock said:
there are 3 different world lines(3 whole different stories) and everything connects so beutifully the 2 series + the film. Other than that I find Okabe to be one of the best developed characters that I've ever seen given that the whole anime cosists of 48 episodes and a 1:30 h movie.

Which is the 3rd? Steins Gate worldline? Steins Gate worldline is only in 2 episodes (24th + OVA).
Plus in the movie, which is non-canon, and did not give any pieces to the other 2 series.
-
Jan 13, 2019 2:15 PM
Aug 2017
SheevPalpatine said:
Iammarock said:
there are 3 different world lines(3 whole different stories) and everything connects so beutifully the 2 series + the film. Other than that I find Okabe to be one of the best developed characters that I've ever seen given that the whole anime cosists of 48 episodes and a 1:30 h movie.

Which is the 3rd? Steins Gate worldline? Steins Gate worldline is only in 2 episodes (24th + OVA).
Plus in the movie, which is non-canon, and did not give any pieces to the other 2 series.
even though there is so little of the steins gate world line in the anime overall, I said it was another story because I can imagine how things would settle there and how that world looks like, it might not be right, but I consider it another story as well =))
Jan 30, 2019 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
Out of all of the ; shows, this was the last one that I saw and I was incredibly hyped for it only to be disappointed. I didn't mind the slow beginning while the show introduced all of the main characters. It was slow, but it still kept my interest and made me want to see what would happen next. Then the second half happened and I found myself even more intrigued.

But then I got bored by the second half. I didn't mind Okabe at first, but he kept making stupid mistake after stupid mistake that it took me out of the story. I kept thinking, "If you keep failing by yourself, then why don't you get everyone to help you?" But it didn't really happen until he was forced to. I also felt bad for Mayuri, because I think out of all of the characters she was lacking in characterization the most.

I get that it needed all of the episodes to fully tell the story, but I think it could have been condensed by a bit.

It's not a bad anime, but I think I was expecting much more and it kind of faltered for me.

Out of the shows I've seen in this series I'd rank it in the middle.

Occultic;Nine, Robotics;Note, Stein's;Gate, Chaos;Child, Chaos;Head.
Jan 31, 2019 8:06 PM
Jan 2019
Cause okabe can change your gender in other timeline. Tutturu~
Feb 1, 2019 2:27 AM
Feb 2019
Well if you didn't enjoy it, then that's your opinion. But I actually loved the story, the characters and the scientific mechanics of the time travel.

Sure the characters were generic, but it never bothered me because they were able to build some depth within them. Okabe while I found him entertaining and gripping from the beginning, I can understand why most would find him annoying. Because we're unfolding the story from his perspective he got the most development. He was shown to be someone who deeply cares about his friends. He was shown to be human and realistic, where unlike most anime action MC's who instantly choose to join the fight to save the world, he wasn't interested in any of that except to regain his normal life and save his friend.

When time leaping over and over again, he's being stupid because he's not in the right state of mind. He's careless and mainly focused on saving her but doesn't think it through due to panic and stress. I highly doubt you would be thinking logically after seeing your friend brutally die in front of you, with many unknown agents after you and your other friends.
He blames himself for everything that's happened, and refuses to let anyone in to help because of this. He doesn't want to drag anyone into the mess he got himself into.
The anime did a good job of showing his slow mental breakdown as he tries over and over again to save someone he loves. But the visual novel went into much more depth into his mindset. I mean bloody hell, he seriously contemplated raping Suzuha one time and thinking there would be no consequences cos he can easily time leap. He went to dark places throughout his mission to save Mayuri.

The story was excellent. Also for the fact it was a time travel story, everything made sense. It doesn't matter if its predictable or not, as long as it told a good story and made sense all throughout. People think unpredictability makes a good story...
I actually appreciated the fact that the story was more personal and small scaled. Sure it was about saving the world and the future, but it focused solely on the MC's drive to save someone close to him. And his struggle to overcome the impossible against the fate of the universe.

I can understand tho if people didn't enjoy it even at the end. Its just not your cup of tea.
It made for a good slice of life/sci-fi thriller drama.
Feb 2, 2019 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
I know this is unrelated, but I'm looking forward to seeing this overtake Kimi no Na wa. It been a long time coming :D
Aug 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Oct 2018
MehmetY said:
How to deceive anime watchers who has an average IQ?
Step 1:
Make an anime.
Step 2:
Make first 3/4 of the anime boring
Step 3:
Make last 1/4 of the anime epic
And we're done, now people who forgot the first 3/4 of the anime will talk about how epic the your anime is.
This formula was tried on Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate and it works well.

It's more like people who have an average IQ at best are the ones who don't like S;G because they don't understand a thing

The first half of it might not be that exciting, but the second half is better than most anime out there
Aug 1, 2019 1:36 AM
May 2019

Not a single day can pass without someone creating a low effort baiting tread uhh.😒😒😒😒😒

Aug 1, 2019 2:27 AM
Jun 2019
Xstasy said:

Not a single day can pass without someone creating a low effort baiting tread uhh.😒😒😒😒😒

I noticed whenever these type of threads are made you always post something like this. I agree that 90% of these threads are made by people who just want to shit on such anime and there is no hope for them.But, some of the posters are genuinely curious. In fact when I watched Steins;Gate first I felt very similar to the way OP felt.But after rewatching it I noticed I missed a lot of things and ended up liking it a lot.I even made a similar Re-zero thread once and I got a nice detailed explanation from a user which basically answered all my questions.But, even there without reading all the posts you accused me of making a 'low-effort bait thread'. There are two possibilities when it comes to not liking a highly rated anime.One is simply Incompatibility(i.e everyone has different tastes) the other possibility is they missed a lot of things while watching or had misunderstood expectations while watching and it helps if someone clarifies them.You always blatantly assume it is the first case and post 'Another low effort bait thread'. Just sayin.
Aug 1, 2019 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve only ever watched it through the once, and the once was more than enough as far as I’m concerned ^_^
Aug 1, 2019 5:28 AM

Aug 2017
It's popular because people like it. It's as simple as that. Now if you don't like it, it's completely fine. Not everyone is supposed to like something. There will always be opposing opinions.
Aug 2, 2019 8:06 AM

Nov 2016
@v_max yeah now Ik why it good after watching it and I gave it a 10 but didn't favorite it though because while the plot is really fucking good it doesn't leave a lasting effect but otherwise yeah I see why ppl fanboy this anime

Shame the fanbois keep saying steins gate 0 is shit and was just a cash grab cause I also really liked that one

El psy congroo
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.