Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 2, 2017 5:09 AM

Jan 2014
That's an awful ending.

First of all, nothing was explained. How did the zombie outbreak happen in the first place? Was it an alien virus? What was their goal?

And there were too many loose ends.

Like, what happened to the little girl who was supposed to be queen bee or mother of the ZQNs?

And what happened to the fisherman who was supposed to be waiting for Hideo? He had the other gun.

Other than the loose ends, I have to say the ending's too tragic for Hideo. His character is the sort that needs and craves human company. Taking not just his first girlfriend, but Oda and Hiromi away from him as well is just too cruel.

At least let him keep one of the 3 girls! Damn you author-san!

After Oda died, I was rooting for the Hideo x Hiromi ship! I was telling myself that even if everyone else died, as long as those two were left alive, that would have been a tolerably happy ending! But arrggh! Author-san sent Hiromi to the hive mind! Arrggh!

May 27, 2017 4:35 AM
May 2017
Is there any chance this isn't the end?
Maybe this is just the end of Hideo's story but not the end of the Franchise or the general plot.
iMarcAnthonyMay 27, 2017 4:55 AM
Jun 3, 2017 10:53 AM
May 2012
wow, i feel robbed.
this is just plain bollocks, man. i really don't know what the fuck just happened.
such a waste. i like the fact that he is alone and still wants to live, though.
Jun 14, 2017 12:53 PM

Feb 2012
Something about this ending, while it felt like it kept in line with the overall bleakness of the theme, still left me... Disheartened.

So much sacrifice, so much loss, just for it to ultimately mean very little. Hideo himself seemed to kind've forget about those he lost (most likely as a way of preserving his sanity) and even the "auntie" could be reborn as a hotter version of herself, I figured maybe we would get an ending where - Instead of boar tracks, Hideo finds human bare footprints and looks up to see the bottom of a schoolgirl skirt. Then it ends.

That would've been nice.
"The speck of fear grows in your eyes
You'll meet your death in no disguise
It may come as a small surprise
There will be no compromise for you"

- Nikopol Lyrics, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Jun 18, 2017 1:08 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah, I'm not at all satisfied with this. People keep insisting that this is the natural ending for Hideo's character arc, but even that I disagree with. Yes, he was always striving for independence and purpose, the bravery to face what life had to offer and take it head on. But ultimately, I don't think Hideo is happy with his life by the ending. Sure, he's snatched agency and independence from the jaws of the apocalypse, but playing hero and seeking companionship were things he really enjoyed, so much so that he chased a giant flesh monster in an attempt to save Hiromi. He put his life on the line for other people so many times, and seemingly got something out of it, and grew as a person. Someone who finally had a purpose. He even tells his delusion on the boat that he wouldn't run away anymore, as if it was a significant indication of personal growth.

But good ol' Kengo decided to axe that character arc and do away with most of that development in favor of some commentary presumably regarding the futility in chasing a perfect life? Or maybe there's irony in the title, and that striving for heroism is ignorant? Who knows, but my point is that when Hideo played hero, he was happy, and that was the core of this manga for the bulk if its publication, I think. The total collapse of his old lifestyle, and a newfound sense of self in the new one.

By the way, don't get me started on all the loose ends, either, namely the little girl in Italy. I know what you're thinking, leaving things up for interpretation is only natural in a story like this, but I felt as though he gave us too many details if that was his intention. He implied there was something much greater to this whole ZQN thing than just a mass of people apparently piloted by Hiromi (which is totally arbitrary, by the way. We're never even really given any reasoning as to why she's the kingpin). This ending feels like either rushed or straight up incompetent writing, imo. Open interpretation is one thing, but if you write a story that becomes a massive, sprawling world, and you develop intrigue surrounding that idea intentionally, just ignoring it isn't sending any deep messages about the futility of life or mental illness or what-the-fuck-ever. It's poor writing, if you ask little old me.

And c'mon, you couldn't let Nakata and Hideo meet up? Throw me a fucking bone, dude, you know that woulda been fun. You even hinted that there are still plenty of survivors in Tokyo, and yet Hideo doesn't meet a single one. Is he not looking? Are there not actually any survivors? Who knows.

I feel like this wasn't even really a character arc, Hideo just lost sight of what was important to him and went back to running. It's clear the dude still craves companionship, and to make a name for himself. With the threat now gone, the fact that in this moment he's resolved to run from his problems more hastily than ever before feels like bullshit to me. His character no longer feels believable; I feel as though the person he'd become by chapter 259 wouldn't have chosen this life, nor would he have let Oda's sister's sacrifice go to waste.

The assumption that this ending is some high-minded commentary on the human condition is hilarious to me, it more feels like an excuse not to see this story through to the end. Wonder what's going on in Kengo Hanazawa's brain right now.

To make things clear, I'm fine with open endings, and I'm also fine with endings that don't wrap up every little thing with a bow. I'm just saying that my man wrote a story and intentionally got us interested in its various tendrils, only to toss them to the wayside in favor of demolishing the central character arc we'd come to give a fuck about. Seems lazy to me.
mopJun 18, 2017 1:17 AM
Jun 29, 2017 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
I think the ending was good and coherent with how the manga developed the conflict. The only real plot hole for me was Hideo not finding any other survivor after all that time, given the SOS signs we saw when the Korori and Kurusu team escaped on the chopper (they could have been all dead, and that within the realm of possibility in this manga)

Not much of a plothole but definitely an asspull was the rejuvenating of Auntie; even if the ZQN demonstrated malleability both for structures and biological forms, it just came out of nowhere.

I wouldn't mind some spin off stories to better explain the ZQN phenomena, from the ZQN point of view (like the chapter in Spain), but from the survivors point of view that was clearly impossible, given the state of total anarchy, without goverment nor educational institutions to investigate the origin, and armed forces completely decimated.
Jul 3, 2017 2:06 PM

Oct 2013
That's me or this ending was... kinda rush ? we have still so many questions left... all this tension for an open ending out of nowhere, it's disapointing...
TitadouJul 3, 2017 2:11 PM
Jul 9, 2017 1:28 AM
May 2017
Decent ending. Too many loose threads though.

And the awkward MC and love triangle stuff was ripped straight from Ressentiment, so I kinda knew where this was going.

Though I still don't get what the giant zombie uterus in Spain had to with anything.
Jul 14, 2017 9:31 AM
Feb 2014
The heck kinda ending was that! There was no reveal. No clue what was going on no explanation. That felt so rushed even though there was a chapter or 3 with no real content...... wow. It was a good Manga but went to shit after the weird zombie crap with morphing and zombie people...
DokiaJul 31, 2017 1:50 AM
Dokia
Jul 31, 2017 5:47 PM

Aug 2016
im speechless
but i loved this manga
Loved the end
wow!
MichaelJacksonAug 30, 2017 10:26 PM
:v
Jul 31, 2017 8:19 PM

Dec 2015
The overall was good but the ending was a big mess i mean seriously

Aug 2, 2017 1:26 AM
Sep 2014
WTF is up with that ending? I feel so bad for the MC, he sacrificed so much and in the end had nothing to show for it. That last chapter was like a scene straight out of Castaway.
Aug 10, 2017 3:44 AM

Jun 2013
Honestly, this had the worst ending of any media that I've consumed.
Sep 4, 2017 1:37 AM
Jun 2016
Just finished... the ending (really the last 50 chapters since the amazing Italy chapter.. possibly the greatest chapter in manga history), this manga turned into complete shit. ESPECIALLY after the giant zombie monster encountered them having sex and just watched for 10 chapters. ESPECIALLY after roof top battle that dragged

still a 8.5 to me. that's how amazing the rest of the series was
Sep 9, 2017 1:09 PM
Sep 2015
Touka said:
The ending left me feeling sour at first, but the more I think about it the more I love it. Hideo's character arc was tremendous and the ending was the most authentic direction to take it in. At the beginning, Hideo was a dissatisfied and wholly dependent character, with dreams and desires but no courage — stuck in a rut. The ZQN pandemic forces him to confront himself and by the end, he has grown from a bumbling and introverted man-child to a self-sufficient hunter. Finally, he can look towards his future with a sort of strange optimism. Sure, it would have been nice to learn more about the origins and motives of the ZQN, but this manga was always a tale of ordinary people in an extraordinary world. It's a lot more fulfilling as an account of one man's growth through adversity than as an all-encompassing zombie epic.

This is exactly how I feel^^
Sep 11, 2017 12:11 AM

Aug 2013
That ending was so abrupt what happened to the fisher man on the boat? I was really hoping he would pick him up and they could all live happily on that island. Sucks that the main character who went through so much has a terrible ending but the manga artist guy with a lisp gets a happy ending FeelsBadMan
Sep 12, 2017 10:17 AM

Jul 2008
KeiOtabe said:
Touka said:
The ending left me feeling sour at first, but the more I think about it the more I love it. Hideo's character arc was tremendous and the ending was the most authentic direction to take it in. At the beginning, Hideo was a dissatisfied and wholly dependent character, with dreams and desires but no courage — stuck in a rut. The ZQN pandemic forces him to confront himself and by the end, he has grown from a bumbling and introverted man-child to a self-sufficient hunter. Finally, he can look towards his future with a sort of strange optimism. Sure, it would have been nice to learn more about the origins and motives of the ZQN, but this manga was always a tale of ordinary people in an extraordinary world. It's a lot more fulfilling as an account of one man's growth through adversity than as an all-encompassing zombie epic.

This is exactly how I feel^^

Thank you. I am glad there are other people who appreciate the ending. I thought about it for a while afterwards, and have come to the conclusion that it's pretty much perfect. I wrote a more detailed post about why on my blog. Would be interesting to hear what those dissatisfied with the ending would have done differently.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 24, 2017 6:03 PM
Oct 2017
just finished the manga really late and although the ending was underwhelming, i loved it.
the fact that deer and boars were appearing showed life was returning and hideo not getting anything special seemed fitting; after all he is just a normal below average guy.
Oct 26, 2017 7:12 PM

Apr 2016
Lost the chance of becoming a masterpiece.
Oct 29, 2017 12:39 AM

Oct 2017
Even though I really did and still do hate the final chapter, I do not hate it for itself. I think it was an amazing closure to the series showing that even if everyone sacrifices themselves for Hideo, he still can't do anything right. He is humanity in whole pressured into one character. As for what I did hate in it was the overall feeling. I'm sure you all had this feeling with different series already, but right around the final 30-40 chapters felt really out of place and rushed. The drawing style, even if it looked the same wasn't as detailed (only in the very last chapter) and it seemed like that the mangaka himself was tired of the series. Now, I do not know if he have been planning this ending from the very beginning, or his tiredness or rushing caused this outcome, but either way the overall setting, especially with such an amazing build up were devastating. Do not misunderstand me now, I'm not disappointed (hack, at this point, I have wasted more than a GB mobile data so I can read the final 80 chapters), it's just that I would crave for more. The ending in all was the embracement despair itself, as we watched Hideo, getting more and more used to the situation and getting more insane bit by bit as the time passes. Of course, loneliness can do strange things to people. It was a real masterpiece in my eyes (hence my rating) and a sloppy ending like that won't change 14 volumes of pure terror and joy. If you are really are disappointed, I advise you to rethink all of our MC's deeds and everything that happened to him, and just rethink the series as in all, with everything happened concluded. Let it sit, do not rush it. Greatness need time to be appreciated anyways.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2017 12:36 AM

Nov 2014
A lot of users here stating their complain about the ending being sucks for not explaining the origin or anything. Well, it is not that important. I would be glad if I wasn't get infected, let alone knowing what it actually is.

The manga is about the journey of the main characters. I also have a theory about how prejudice affects this manga a lot, but I don't think it is relevant to my opinion about the ending.

Yes, the ending sucks. But it is not because the zombies left explained, nor many insignificant characters being left untold. I couldn't give a shit about them.

The real reason behind it is everything went so fast. Time skip happened. The chemistry between main characters ended up not as spectacular as it actually should have had been. All of these arcs were just half-cooked.

The execution of this story was similar to Twin Peaks Season 3 which I watched a while ago. Both have these disperse character arcs, so many memorable moments from them, and when they finally met, it actually felt good. I really think it's because Twin Peaks put pivotal interactions for these character before the climax. Because of that, the final plot doesn't have that much weight to really put these puzzles together. It's also because the story didn't take 7 years to be concluded, so the idea could be more condensed.

I just wished it could be articulated better, the ending.

Taito10 said:
This manga is kinda very different from others series. Hideo never met Kurusu and anothers main groups and thats the point. Hideo is a lonely Hero and no one will hears about him.
Nov 20, 2017 1:41 PM
Sep 2009
I read Ressentiment before this series (and highly recommend it) so was sorta prepared for Hero. I did find Hideo's decision whom to shoot during the climax sorta dumb, but I guess it was necessary to "connect" Hideo with fellow mangaka Korori while keeping Hideo isolated from everyone else. (Oh, and Hiromi, like some of Hanazawa's other female main characters causes Bad Ending to her companions. I'd think that if she wasn't in the story, Hideo and Oda might be together. And you did notice that Hiromi was dating the boyfriend of one of the girls earlier in the story?)

But, given that MAL has a 1/3 Hate rating for this chapter, I think anyone buying the series based on the 5-star Amazon ratings is going to be in for a surprise, and not a happy one...
ced1106Nov 20, 2017 2:00 PM
Dec 1, 2017 1:26 AM

Jan 2017
Now that I think about it, it's not that really disappointing, the ending I mean. Though I feel that it could've ended in a better note. I think I get the direction of this ending but still, there's too many questions left unanswered. Here I was hoping that they'll get answered at the end but when you think about it, it's not that kind of manga. Still I won't change my opinion that the ending could've been better with a little tweak. Overall, it's a great manga. I'll still give it an 8.
Jan 7, 2018 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
I don't have a problem with the conclusion itself. Humanity went nearly extinct, there are probably a few survivors' groups around the world like the ones on the island, Hideo's fated to live alone until he dies.

Now, what it should have done near the end was to tie up two loose ends: 1) what exactly were the mutants like Kurusu, and 2) what happens after the aliens' plan succeeds like in Barcelona.

Sure, the author can leave some ends for us to tie up, but we surely could use more information.

Oh, and remember when Kurusu saved Hideo and the others from the hot springs? That could definitely have been mentioned again.
Fenryr19Jan 7, 2018 9:59 AM
Jan 8, 2018 12:24 PM
Jan 2018
What the Fu** this ending, waht is zqn Purpose? , where the other survival that see in helicopter in tokyo, lot a question, but last 3 chapter is wasted, really wasted ....sad
Jan 13, 2018 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
One of the best manga that I read in a long time.

That is why, I have to say, that the ending was one of the most disappointing ones. Not everything about the ending was bad, and I understand leaving parts for the viewer's imagination, but still, throwing so many things that the manga was building up just out of the window felt empty and unsatisfying.

I heard that the author got bored, or that his father also died around the time he was finishing the manga, so he himself was depressed, but I would have liked if he went back to it later just to give it one more conclusion, similar to how some other series have done.

But still, it was a good manga for what is worth it. It could have just ended better.
Feb 9, 2018 9:11 AM
Feb 2018
just finish reading it, i expected such ending in a zombie series, no zombies actually have good , well resolved ending, it wouldnt fit the genre, the genre is uncertainty and will to survive an apocalypse of fallen man kind structure as we know it. having a resolve happy ending just reset the whole cycle and it would be pointless....

its a bittersweet ending . like a phantom pain, forever missing a piece in our heart.

ps: plus the author lost his father during the last chapter, seeing he wants to end it with a note of surviving the hopeless and unknown bleak future shows his message well.. there is always hope if u have the will to live.
Feb 15, 2018 11:50 PM
Feb 2018
I give 10 to story and character. It's a masterpiece. I honestly watch the movie first, though that I really enjoyed this manga.

For the review about ending. I do agree, it's not mostly what people-wanted-ending. But, it's great that the MC who is so lame turn out to be good hunter.
Still with so much emotion with the plot, remember about the pregnant zqn, oda, hiromi and in the end with the pregnant deer, it's so sad to be hideo. Finnaly, I tried to accept the ending and overall, a big 10 score.
ervien_r_eFeb 15, 2018 11:58 PM
Feb 24, 2018 6:13 PM
May 2015
The movie reeled me in to read this masterpiece only to get frustrated at the ending! I mean come on! :(((
May 10, 2018 5:35 AM
May 2018
Dude... why that ending? I mean... That feeling of emptiness that the ending makes you feel. The feeling that all the journey has meant nothing.. That hurts. I have loved everything about this manga besides the ending, but being that way, it hurts a lot.

What happens to the zombies? And to civilization? And to Hiromi? And to the auntie that is rejuvenated? It should have been shown

I think any other ending would have been better for me than this one.
Aug 9, 2018 9:47 AM

Nov 2012
loved this manga it got so much plots and twist..... Yes the end looked just sad, because it was left with so much of questions

livingdarknetAug 9, 2018 9:53 AM
Sep 4, 2018 12:39 AM
Sep 2018
I know so many praised the ending for its literariness, but well, for the readers've been searching for a Why, a very big Why this whole time, the ending is unacceptale . Yet, that's all we got. Like Hideo always said Crap, crap, crap
Mar 12, 2019 1:35 AM
Sep 2014
I stopped at chapter 254 while this was still running and it took me 2 years now to just finish it a few moments ago. I took a lot of time reading reactions to different arguments on the last couple chapters. I can tell many people felt like it was rushed and Hideo not meeting the other groups was baffling, and some other plot points and such not touched. And I had a few thoughts of my own though no one will probably ever respond.

First, on the importance of the two main groups that were made partway through the manga. It was clear Hanazawa wanted to show more info on the Kurusus, show more diverse characters to spice things up and add new conflicts, show other areas of Japan away from Hideo, and have characters who survive to give hope for humanity. We see this where Takashi becomes a Kurusu not long after his introduction and the new group dynamic in the resistance he joins along with Korori's group which is separate which allows us to see someone Hideo knows who is still fighting. In the end Hanazawa basically kills off some members of the groups over time or in the final battle like the Haruki guy and the other teenage girl who fell from the helicopter. Then, allow the two groups to merge along with the kid in Asada's cult to live on the island to rebuild slowly. The purpose of these groups was not to interact with Hideo's journey but to execute these themes and points on their own by Hanazawa's wishes.

Second, the ZQN I always felt were foreshadowed. I saw other users post how the tree near where Hideo lived was where people were bit including Tekko. Also, during the arc in Europe it was almost clear they were alien like lifeforms trying to terraform Earth and were ridding most of humanity to do so. These intentions aren't clear and never expanded upon or their origins of where they came from and more as to why they are doing their actions.

Lastly, the last 5 chapters don't really feel rushed moreso so little really happens yet it seem years go by. We get half of chapter 262 to the group that escaped and the other 4.5 chapters are just Hideo surviving and finding out the ZQN were trying to terraform Earth which the reader should've known already. Also, these last chapters mirror the first part of this series where it is basically simple slice of life affair that slowly creeps in. In the 263 thread someone mentioned how I am a hero is different from other manga by having these groups work this way, and I agree but I don't think they defended their point well. They bring up how when Tekko attacks Hideo, a paperboy drives by and delivers a paper, and how that is similar to how these groups work and I disagree. The purpose of that panel was to show how these events with ZQN were taking place but people didn't notice or handwaved it. Like take for example the taxi ride early on in the manga, or Tekko and the girl being bit early on.

I am a Hero has a lot of flaws, and this may be because Hanazawa's father died towards the end of his serialization, but I do think he wanted Hideo to be alone in the world as this is a clear parallel to how Hideo lived and saw himself in the early chapters. We may never entirely understand what happened to Hiromi or the Kurusus, or why Auntie/Granny become young again, or what exactly happened to Hideo and why he has a connection to the ZQN similar to Hiromi, and honestly we may never know. Overall, I am a Hero was an amazing series that I don't think got really bad until the Tokyo arc. There were slow sections like when Hideo, Hiromi and Oda were hanging at the bathhouse but this was moreso to slow the pace down from all the action. Also, the Tokyo Arc just felt so packed with Hideo and Hiromi being involved, Korori's group, Takashi's group, Asada's cult and of course the ZQN. It became so hard to keep track and follow the motivations and subtle context or references Hanazawa would hint at like early on you could have gussed the girl who died in Takashi's group early on was Oda's sister, but all these characters and subplots were being introduced you may have missed it until later. I do not believe this was cancelled, but I do believe Hanazawa for whatever reason originally planned for about one more volume of content and decided to just end it in volume 22 and probably wanted to expand on the ZQN in some way and probably more info on the island group(which consists of the Takashi, and Korori groups, the boy from the Asada cult and some people who already took refuge there).

I give it a 9/10, but I feel those who kept to the end and are confused about certain things either forgot or didn't understand certain things because of how subtle or not in your face a lot of the narrative is which is a style found in Hanazawa's other works like Boys on the Run and Ressentiment.
Mar 23, 2019 4:15 PM

Aug 2014
Wow. This ending changed the series from a 9.5/10 to... a 6/10 at best to me. This is really, really bad.
Mar 23, 2019 5:08 PM
Sep 2014
Louis-the-Otaku said:
Wow. This ending changed the series from a 9.5/10 to... a 6/10 at best to me. This is really, really bad.

Can you elaborate?
Mar 23, 2019 6:16 PM

Aug 2014
Wekkle said:
Louis-the-Otaku said:

Can you elaborate?

The final moments were an asspull, there was no closure for anyone except Hideo, and even that was pathetic, the zombies just... left for no reason... and frankly, the final 20 or so chapters felt weak.

Jun 23, 2019 6:26 AM

Jan 2018
When i started to reading this i was bored. But really, art wasn't so much catching for me, and start was extremely boring. But when the virus started to spread out he lost his girlfriend it was finally interesting. But the most BIG ONE moment was how he met Hiromi Hayakari - my the most favourite character in this manga. She was drawn nice, she was cute and had nice personality and when she got infected it was heart tearing. But it was nothing like at the end when she was cought byt that BIG SIZED walking smething and absorbed. God for real? She loved him, he liked her and she just simply vanished? WTF I was still expecting something twisting before the very end, like she suddenly appear in front of his eyes or something... Unfortunately nothing like that happened. Too shame. I honestly enjoyed that manga (if i am not counting those absolutely retarded inserted new story lines other grps - extremely annoying and parts with tons of messages on discuisse boards). For me 8/10, but ....

My signature is coppied from another forum, because currently i don't have nothing better
AlienWare M17X5 (2013-2016), MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO (2016-Presence)
Jul 21, 2019 10:30 AM
Feb 2018
I rushed this manga in 3 days. Great time to enjoy. But the ending kinda...
Overall I would rate this 6/10. Whole story 10/10 and even those last chapter that linked into previous times that some mind blowing plot ok!!! that 10/10. But the ending feel like.... I'd rate it 2/10 =A= it's make sense with how story going but... It feel like author just being cruelly and bullied MC...... Having said that he still got fucked 3 women, and one high-schooler on top of it. Damn after think about it I stopped feel bad for him. But it still kinda... the last 5 chapter feel like... well its kinda perfect in a sense but it could have been more and better in other sense...... The most wtf ending I had ever read dammit!!! Dammit a good story with a fucked up ending ruined my entire weekend
Jul 23, 2019 4:16 AM

Jan 2018
Not as bad of an ending as I was expecting. Glad hideo survived to the end.

9/10, great zombie story.
Sep 17, 2019 9:05 AM
Dec 2017
I might be reading waaay into this but didn’t Hideo have a really good manga and then abruptly ended it? Either Kengo Hanazawa just clowned us all or it was a self fulfilling destiny. Either way I still liked the manga
Oct 23, 2019 12:38 PM

Nov 2017
well, the ending sucked. I was really optimistic about this manga when it reached around volume 15. But what the hell happened at the end, how did granny became younger and all, why that huge zqn monster stopped? I have a lot of questions left unanswered.

Jan 9, 2020 9:28 PM
Jan 2020
As a mangaka I really appreciated the ending. Like any media, this is a story with the theme and plot driving the characters and their evolutions both physical and mental. I know one post said that they thought it was the worst ending ever but that’s the statement of someone with little experience in media or stories in general.
Let’s look at the title “I am a Hero”. “I” am a hero. It’s a story about hideo and the other characters. The plot drives them. Early in the manga series Hideo talks to himself about hunting and questions if he actually could hunt and kill, aside from just target shooting. By the end it is something that goes with out saying; I.e. the hero’s journey! There is a change in the main character and even though he still talks with his delusions, the changes in him are evident. He learns, he builds, he becomes a protagonist. Like his inner debate explains throughout. No longer useless, Hideo is able to survive.
Now for those who are confused about the unanswered questions. What is the pod thing? Why is the girl in Italy important? She is the main mind behind that nest. If you read the summaries by the creator he even stated a man in Italy figures it out. Not only that but the man in Spain becomes a tree and is referred to as “the observer” - it would seem in this area of theory this is an allusion to the observer in physics. The universe can only exist if it is observed, and beyond that the very nature of the universe is altered by being observed. (Observer effect) He even became a tree! The observer effect is often referenced by the example of “if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to see it, does it really fall? - Take notice that when Hideo sheds everything and becomes a true hero, he is alone. Even when he is sniping at the final battle no one knows it’s him. When Auntie is spit out of the combined zqn, she’s someone else. She’s not young again, she is the combination of all the company she shared inside the hive mind. Maybe Hideo picked up parts of others when he enters the nest. I like to think Hiromi is with him. But that’s just a thought.
This is not Superman. The ZQN are not lex Luthor. Change inward is what carries the story. Oda gets pregnant, Tekko removes her teeth, Hiromi alters the course of her nest. The answers are all there. What’s really the important reveal is that Korori sees Hideo his hero. And Hideos book saves his life. This is the moment that readers were waiting for. There is much debate over the meaning and the loose ends that make up this wonderful series. I’ve read so many series but none are comparable to this one.
In the beginning Hideo is told good manga comes from experience and life. “I am a Hero” is the manga that Hideo wants to be able to create. And it was dedicated to Hanazawa’s father. There’s is truth in that fact and reading Between the lines, we can understand the truth of everything the creator wants us to know. There is even a moment at the end when Hideo rants about UFO Ramen.... I don’t claim to have all the answers to the questions, but I do have researched ideas on those answers. Like any piece of art, one can derive so many meanings. The little details and pacing tell more than one might think. I believe there is reference to deep science as well but that’s another post. This is a great series. When I finished it I had no headache or angry messages to post, but rather looked at myself and my own delusions and humility. I don’t know if that’s what Hanazawa was going for but I thank him for the moment as well as allowing me to see in to his imagination. So if you read Naruto and then read this don’t be surprised if you’re confused. If you read Bakuman and The Tempest by Shakespeare you might get it with a grin.
Hey did you notice what character wasn’t with Hideo at the end? Heh too cool and humbling ^ ^. Oh and if you don’t get the ending, allow me to quote Louis Armstrong. When Armstrong was asked “what is jazz? His response was “if you have to ask you’ll never know. Zero Qualified Nucleus.....
HiroNatsumeJan 9, 2020 9:39 PM
Jan 15, 2020 8:49 AM

Oct 2015
Thank god its finally over! First 50 chapters, amazing! Next 60 chapters, great! The rest...
Apr 26, 2020 4:37 PM
Aug 2014
This was dumb. Why did old lady turn young? Why were some zombies able to think and look human while others looked dead? What happened to the fisher man? What happened to the other countries with giants? Woolie made it sound great. The premise was great but what a let down ending.
May 3, 2020 3:29 PM

Jun 2014
I think the highlights of this massive story are the characters and the art; they're incredibly well-done. The plot, however, becomes very messy towards the end, though it's totally unique and bizarre (in the best sense of the word). To be honest, I'd rather have had a different ending because it felt rather lacklustre and a bit rushed after 260 chapters IMO.

It's a worthwhile series nonetheless.

Rely on nothing under heaven
May 16, 2020 1:51 AM
Jan 2019
For me it's a masterpiece the ending was good
I was Expecting something like this would happen ಥ‿ಥ
May 25, 2020 6:32 PM
Feb 2020
Odd yet realistic ending. It feels bad that we don’t get a solid conclusion to what happened to Hiromi. I feel bad for every character, none of them got out happy except maybe the islanders. 8/10, good series but it got really weird in the last 1/3
May 29, 2020 2:20 AM

Nov 2012
It was 10/10 up to the last arc and a forced ending leaving more questions than answers. Unfortunately, very few Japanese authors are able to write normal endings.
Overall 7/10
Jun 3, 2020 10:12 AM

May 2016
It's a shame that a majority of the plotpoints established throughout the story wasn't given a satisfying conclusion but this story started with Hideo so it'll end with Hideo so I guess that's fair. I really pitied him for losing everything and living on with his life without any goal or purpose nor anyone to accompany him and appreciate everything he's done to get this far though. Hiromi was right. He arguably suffered a fate worse than death and that's tragic.

The characters were more important to me than the story but I didn't like how they were treated in the final stretch of the manga. Oda getting bitten and killed after trying to run off on her own, Hideo constantly fucking with girls right after his partner dies, and Hiromi devolving into a crazy jealous bitch after she was able to get down with Hideo was more frustrating than anything else in the manga.

I would've loved it more if it didn't divert so much from its initial premise of being a traditional zombie apocalypse with a creative twist but I enjoyed reading this anyway.

Jun 19, 2020 1:48 PM

Nov 2018
Ending is shit.I really hate it.It was amazing but fuck with this.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 228 Discussion

AcceleratorAngel - Jun 23, 2016

10 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 8:44 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 210 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13, 2016

8 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 7:51 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 207 Discussion

Stark700 - May 10, 2016

12 by Ricardoricki »»
Mar 17, 7:44 AM

Poll: » I Am a Hero Chapter 1 Discussion

Lamii - Oct 27, 2011

17 by Ani_sama423 »»
Mar 16, 10:24 AM

» official digital release when?

HibiChika - Feb 23

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
Feb 23, 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.