Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 27, 2017 11:19 AM

Oct 2013
asunnyrift said:
is it just me or is this a kimi no na wa reference ? :o

It looks like it is

Feb 27, 2017 11:56 AM

Mar 2008
Ah what a fun and exciting episode! Great to see Sucy as the focus here and going into dream land to find Sucy and seeing all these split personalities. Love the classic cartoon angel and devil conscious, I can't honestly remember the last time I saw that in any cartoon ever. The few references stuffed in for good measure too, Obi-Wan Sucy, brief use of the old Transformer Sound effect and the license plate on the car read LWA08! This is one endlessly entertaining show!
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Feb 27, 2017 12:07 PM

Jun 2013
Sucy x Akko. I support.

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Feb 27, 2017 12:11 PM

Mar 2014
My favorite episode so far, all these visual gags were a blast
Feb 27, 2017 12:24 PM

May 2009
SirKnight007 said:
And thus, the shipping begins.

You may stop, Producer denied any yuri in AMA on /a/ last month.
Feb 27, 2017 12:46 PM
Dec 2012
bastek66 said:
SirKnight007 said:

He is just being a tsudere, he is trying to please the mass but the truth is out!
Yuri is the best !From a straight dude.
Feb 27, 2017 12:50 PM

Mar 2012
protect akko at all costs
Feb 27, 2017 1:05 PM

Feb 2017
A weird episode focused in the mushroom-lover Sucy, it's ok, I love weird episodes, a lot of pretty funny references.

Tenth said:
Great episode and actually one of the better animated episodes so far, love this shot.

My yuri senses were tingling since the very instant I realized it was a Sleeping Beauty reference. Officially I ship it.
Feb 27, 2017 1:22 PM

Sep 2007
Some heavy nightmare fuel in this one. And playing with expectations! Heads being chopped off was pretty disturbing but got played for laughs when it turned out those were radishes (lol) but then it goes into Akira-style blob monster scenario (yikes)
Feb 27, 2017 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
At first I was not into this episode, but as story grew more insane by the moment it grew on me. To think we have an Akira reference and a Sleeping Beauty reference in the same episode! And I'm sure there are others that I missed.
Feb 27, 2017 3:24 PM

May 2010
This episode was one of the best this season.

The whole "humans need to kill a part of themselves to stay 'humane'" was portrayed very well.
Feb 27, 2017 4:10 PM

Nov 2014
Well, I think we can establish that she's suffering from multiple personality disorder... ;)

And so many references, from Star Wars to Transformers and Sleeping Beauty and many others.
Feb 27, 2017 5:49 PM

Mar 2013
Loved the (what I think is a Dexter's Laboratory reference) at the beginning, heck I loved all the parody refs xD
Fun episode!
Feb 27, 2017 6:16 PM
Feb 2017
The episode is without the funniest episode to date from the Classic Cartoon style film to the bizarre world of Sucy’s mind. However is this episode a filler, character driven or story progression. I say all of them.

The Love of Sucy
Sucy has been one of the most popular characters in the series. It can range from her unique art design or how mysterious the character is. Now, we have an episode dedicated to her and her alone and to be honest, it really shows the hidden depths of Sucy.
My interpretation of the episode begins with the Devil Sucy and Angel Sucy. Even though Sucy could play pranks on other, mainly on Akko, it shows Sucy took the time to think on when would be the right time to be the prankster and a friend. These two separate entities, the Devil and Angel show the many temptations Sucy has and the many times Sucy walked away from it.

Moving on, the multiple interpretations of Sucy show how complex Sucy is and this is probably due to her upbringing. As you probably know, she was raised as a witch since birth but prior to enrolling to Luna Nova, she may had the same difficulties in her childhood much like how Lotte and Diana endured.

The Court and Execution of the other personalities represents the removal of those what Sucy considers undesirable and this is related to her dream of becoming a poison maker and another factor that entered into her life. All these factors is represented perfectly in the theatre.

The theatre began with how Sucy believes other Witches view her. Even with being with her own kind, Sucy is considered the outcast. If she did get hurt by both human and Witches, this could psychologically damage a child especially for Sucy. However, the film moves the attention from the other witches to Akko. As mentioned, Sucy pranks on Akko a lot but the scene of their first meeting in Episode 1 shows this is more out of affection rather than malice. The shift in the art and music proves that for the first time in her life, Sucy made a friend. Sucy considered the best thing in her life which sadly makes her question on her dream on becoming a poison maker.

The little Sucy and the other undersirable Sucys represents the negative emotions or traits of Sucy. We know Sucy loves to make pranks and make rude comments but what if she went too far and the pranks damage the relationship to the point it couldn’t be healed. Sucy is afraid of becoming alone. The beginning itself shows the struggles Sucy is having. The first person she attempted to use the potion on was Akko. The fact she chose Akko shows Sucy’s desire to make her friends happy. However, the aftermath of said potion, Sucy is unsure of. If the potion doesn’t work, Akko might die and if the potion does work, Sucy is scared that Akko with her new abilities might distance herself from Sucy. Sucy is afraid of becoming alone and her position as the Sleeping Sucy shows the eternal struggle Sucy is having.

It was only when Akko shows that despite Sucy irritating her, Akko will always forgive Sucy and they will always be friends. When Sucy wakes up, Sucy showed irritation that she had to remind herself how much she loved Akko.

The Journey of Akko
Alternatively, this could be Akko’s dream. However, a theory has been nagging ever since the episode ended which was due to Akko’s statement “Was it all a dream?” I say yes and no.

Episode 7 showed us the magic ability to see the future. Diana has shown proficient to it with Diana predicting that Luna Nova will undergo a series of challenges and Akko departing. Thankfully, the latter has been avoided or it hasn’t happened yet. We learned Akko has gained the ability to transform although imperfect, opening doors and speaking fish. Episode 7 showed Akko succeeded the two latters that appeared in the episode but in Episode 8, Akko gained another ability from that episode, the ability to see into the future.

Although why Akko view it like a Sucy dream is beyond me.

The first people she met were Angel Sucy and Devil Sucy. From a point of view and understanding the guidance they provide to Akko, it’s clear that the two are a representation of an authority figure for Akko, which is Professor Ursula. This is heart-warming in itself as the first person Akko wants to meet is Professor Ursula. The dual personalities could be symbolizing the two identities Ursula possessed: The Professor Luna Nova and Shiny Chariot. Meaning one day, Akko will know Ursula’s identity.

Alternatively, the dual personalities of Sucy can be considered the struggle Akko goes through on determine which is important; the chance to achieve her dream and doing what’s right. This has been an occurrence not just here but the entirety of the series since Episode 1.

As Akko travels down to “Sucy’s mind”, we see the many personalities of Sucy which can be interpreted as the many trials Akko has to endure to become Shiny Chariot. The Trial and Execution of the Undesirable Sucy shows Akko’s struggles even further. Episode 7 shows how scarred Akko was when she was told that she will be expelled from Luna Nova. The Trial and Execution shows the merciless decision to expel Akko, that everyone is against her and that is when we felt sympathy for Akko. If the prediction from Diana is true, Akko will be expelled.

Akko freed the other Sucys which will discuss later. The next part will be about the Drive Thru. What do we first see in the picture. Diana standing tall and having a pointy nose. Who do we affiliated someone like Diana with? Pinocchio. The tall stature represents the pride and dignity of Diana but the nose represents the secret she has kept for so long. If we know about Diana is that she can’t spill out who should deserve the praise and can’t reveal that she made a fault. The picture progresses showing the heated relationship between Diana and Akko and eventually a bonding. That is until something happened that will damage the relationship. Soon, Diana and Akko will be friends but an important event will sever it and it could be related to the expulsion possibly made by Diana keeping a secret to herself which cost Akko her dreams.

The little Sucy who grow into this hideous beast signifies the growing darkness that will consume the world which is the Age of Witches. Alternatively, this could be mean something created by Akko will be responsible why the Witches are in trouble. Although, we have to see that this monster is related to Sucy. So, this represents that someone related to someone Akko made friends with will bring an end to all witches and this could be meaning Andrew’s father, Lord Hanbridge and possibly he might be taking pleasure in making the Witches suffer.

But not all hope is lost. Akko survived the onslaught by the Sucy Monster (aka Cookie Monster). A major symbolism behind it is that the dream points to us that Akko is uniquely distinct compared to the traditional Witches and this is great cause this means that the death of the other Sucys symbolized the Fall of Traditional Witchcraft and Akko is the Hero and Key to saving Luna Nova and the magical world.

The last scene that truly cements the victory of magic over the modern world is when Akko confronts the Sleeping Sucy and wake her up. If I’m right, the sleeping Sucy represents a prison but who is in that prison, Ursula or Diana? We have to recall, Ursula and Diana has become disillusioned due to circumstances and they feared any more repercussions. Eitherway, Akko’s kindness will wake them up or in this case unlocked their real potential they have forgotten and showed it in a more Magical way. Akko, a human who understood the true power behind Magic will move these two women and united, they can challenge the world.

Therefore, Akko’s dream is actually her predicting the future.
Feb 27, 2017 7:08 PM
Apr 2014
the 2nd your name reference this year (gabriel dropout also did one)
and shoutout to pyramid head sucy

Feb 27, 2017 7:16 PM

Mar 2014
we got a Higanjima reference
Feb 27, 2017 9:40 PM

May 2016
d-dont tell me that smol sucy is a gay-sucy?
i mean she gave akko lily(yuri) flowers, and stopped her own rampage the instant she sees akko about to kiss sucy.. or was it just my imagination?
Feb 27, 2017 10:35 PM

Jan 2015
That was an extremely fun episode. Trigger's style really shined through here and it was awesome.

We got focus on Sucy, a ton of cool references and some fantastic animation. My favorite episode so far for sure.
Feb 28, 2017 1:14 AM

Apr 2016
okiPotemkin said:
d-dont tell me that smol sucy is a gay-sucy?
i mean she gave akko lily(yuri) flowers, and stopped her own rampage the instant she sees akko about to kiss sucy.. or was it just my imagination?

Right, in this episode : The monster is a Yuri fan or let say the Yuri fan turns into a monster. Give him a Yuri kiss scene and the monster cools down.
That's quite funny.
Feb 28, 2017 2:08 AM

Sep 2016
thats what i call a sakuga fest
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Feb 28, 2017 8:02 AM

Nov 2011
What an insane episode, the animation reminded me of kill la kill
loved the movie part, it was really funny and cute.
Sucy is too good
Baby, daijobanai...
Feb 28, 2017 8:45 AM
May 2015
Trigger went full Trigger with this ep
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2017 9:27 AM

Jul 2014
Sorry Mr Dragon. Your ship didn't sail. (thx God)

Lets keep these out of this show please.
AwpRoxBrFeb 28, 2017 9:32 AM
hana ga saita yo
Feb 28, 2017 9:31 AM

Jul 2016
bastek66 said:
SirKnight007 said:

Who said I was shipping them? I knew the series wasn't yuri (Why would anyone think that? There's a reason why I loved this show, is that it's fun, hilarious, innocent and beautiful [Did I mention hilarious?]) Always consider the meaning between the lines and the context. But dear god, the fanfics that will pour down upon us. And according to Florence, it took him hours to delete them. >~<
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Feb 28, 2017 9:55 AM
Feb 2017

aside from Kimi No Nawa parody...
does anyone realized that the big dog monster chasing them was based from Envy of Full Metal Alchemist?
domodomodomoFeb 28, 2017 10:12 AM
Feb 28, 2017 1:12 PM

Jul 2009
Sucy's world is full of Sucy's :D

I hope we have some episode focused on Diana...
Feb 28, 2017 3:04 PM

Sep 2015
Been waiting for this episode since the one where we found out Lotte is a Twilight fan. And it did not disappoint. This was anarchic insanity, and all the different versions of Sucy were incredible. A little confused since it clearly wasn't a dream...how it wasn't a dream? But it was such a good episode I didn't really care. Sucy replaying the memory of meeting Akko for the first time over and over again was so sweet. And the animation on Sucy's perspective of the world was a lot of fun. As was that Akira reference. Looking forward as always to next week.
Feb 28, 2017 6:09 PM

May 2016
I honestly would love to see a whole episode with the 1950's style animation.
Feb 28, 2017 6:25 PM

Feb 2009
Tevens said:
what is the meaning of 666 in this episode tho.
i don't understand.

It's the number of the beast.
Anime ga daaaai suki!!! Computer Engineering. Japan is awesome!!!
Feb 28, 2017 10:57 PM

Nov 2012
this episode was really crazy and it was great. loved all the references!
Mar 1, 2017 12:03 AM
Jan 2016
Trigger saved the anime again with just ONE MOTHERFUCKING EPISODE!!!(I know that is just a meme, but this episode was perfect, to me shows how good protagonist Akko is for this franchise).
Best use of "reference humor" that I have seen in a long time
Mar 1, 2017 11:32 AM

May 2015
fluffy_maus said:
After ep.6 I thought the story would start to pick up, but back to episodic hell again... what a waste of time.
If it at least would make a shred of sense - but it just does not. And shoving pointless references in doesn't make it any more funny.

You are obviously blind. This whole episode was Sucy's character development. This whole show is more of character development than an actual plot. Movies were episodic too. If you don't like it, stop watching and stop hating, because this show is good in what it wanted to do. I personally love it.

This is not Evangelion, because it was never meant to be something like that. It was always meant to be a show about Akko starting from 0 and becoming a badass witch one day, along with character development for all the characters and many episodic adventures with humor.
Mar 1, 2017 2:11 PM

Mar 2016
FANTASTIC episode. I'd even go so far as to say, one of my all-time favorite anime episodes. Inventive animation, great concept, dense visual storytelling, thematically compelling, fun and well-placed references to other animated works. And focused on best girl Sucy to boot.

Can't wait to see what they cook up next.
Mar 1, 2017 6:47 PM

Aug 2015
How high were they when they wrote this?
Scratch that. I'm sure there's more to come.
Mar 1, 2017 7:44 PM

Aug 2007
This was fantastic. Loved that "drive-in movie" scene in particular... you figure she does but it's good to see that Sucy cherishes her friends. Overall a very funny and uh, extremely Trigger episode.
Mar 1, 2017 7:45 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode. Glad that they managed to bring Sucy back xD
It seems that Sucy is even weirder than i thought xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Mar 1, 2017 9:53 PM

Jun 2015
Yesss best girl episode. I love Sucy, she doesn't get enough screen time in general imo so a Sucy episode was well-deserved! All her different personalities were very funny. I love her relationship with Akko; I guess she sees her as a loveable simpleton or like a pet XD Also the short bit of animation during giant monster Sucy was based Trigger, would love to see more of that in every episode!

The kiss should've happened, but ah well, the double face plants were pretty funny lol.
Mar 2, 2017 6:27 AM

Feb 2015
Finally Sucy's episode. I laughed more than I want to admit. Best girl as always.
5/5

Mar 2, 2017 8:12 AM

Jun 2015
Wow, this was just plain awesome. After a mediocre start this show is slowly getting really good.
Mar 2, 2017 12:05 PM

Feb 2015
Blow said:
Tevens said:
what is the meaning of 666 in this episode tho.
i don't understand.

well, that much i know.
what i mean is the relation to this episode
why put that number in this episode
it looked meaningless to me.
Mar 3, 2017 6:21 AM

Jul 2010
What a tease. I kinda love it :3 But no development.
Mar 3, 2017 11:53 AM

Apr 2013
During this episode, I was thinking to myself playing catch up, "This series is darling, why don't people like it mo--HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT??!?" I should've expected something like that given this is Sucy we're talking about but what the hell Trigger LOL.

Loved it, though.
Mar 3, 2017 12:51 PM

Jun 2015
Tevens said:
Blow said:

well, that much i know.
what i mean is the relation to this episode
why put that number in this episode
it looked meaningless to me.

I don't know about Japan, but in European folklore witches were seen as being married to the devil.
Mar 3, 2017 8:34 PM

Mar 2013
There is a lot of other anime references. Ok.
We got a Sucy character development. Ok.
Plot? NONE.

This episodic stuff for character development it's funny but I'm getting tired of it. Give me the story, the plot. Please.
_junoMar 3, 2017 8:42 PM
Mar 4, 2017 5:07 AM

Sep 2016
people who always cry for plot are amazingly stupid to me
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Mar 4, 2017 10:06 AM

Jun 2015
galimx said:
Some references I came across this episode. Maybe I missed something:

https://imgur.com/a/3IO9d

Fluggyboi said:

Yeah, I cant take people seriously who put plot on pedestal.

Cool, didn't notice the Dexter reference.
The whole episode also had a Wizard of Oz feel to me.
Mar 4, 2017 10:25 AM

Jun 2013
And this continues to get better and better!
Mar 4, 2017 12:11 PM

Mar 2013
galimx said:
Some references I came across this episode. Maybe I missed something:

https://imgur.com/a/3IO9d

Fluggyboi said:

Yeah, I cant take people seriously who put plot on pedestal.

At least in my case I'm not puting plot on pedestal. The episodic stuff doesn't bother me at all, it's funny. I'm loving all the other aspects of the show: The animation, soundtrack, character development. So as you can see I don't value just the plot.

But the lack of plot is, indeed, the weakest part of this show. This show is just TOO SLOW.

I mean... it's going to have 25 episodes and we're already on episode 8. Basically 1/3 of the show was episodic. I think it's time to get some progress, just it.
It's not a crime is it? Wanting the pace to hurry up.
Mar 5, 2017 10:54 PM

Mar 2009
Best episode so far. Wildly creative and imaginative.
Mar 6, 2017 9:29 PM

Mar 2014
Awesome & funny episode around Sucy with alot of references :D

the last scene intrigued me (when the camera was zomming in while it was sounding a suspense music and then the shadows of akko sucy and lotte walked so fast to the other side), is it some kind of reference that I missing to understand? D:
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2017

152 by LFC123 »»
Mar 21, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2017

116 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

310 by HoneyBees91 »»
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

186 by trueauracoral »»
Feb 18, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2017

125 by ViSpace »»
Feb 5, 6:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.