Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 1, 2017 4:51 AM

Mar 2016
I agree that anime has dropped in quality in recent years, but each year it seems like we get more and more shows. That said i'd rather have a few good shows then a ton of mediocre ones.
Mar 1, 2017 5:05 AM

Oct 2015

cheeky little teenagers, trying to act like they know anime, just cause they watch a few seasons of seasonal, thinking they can make big statements like that. we somehow come full circle, and the younglings have jumped on the "bandwagon" as well
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 2, 2017 3:35 AM

Sep 2009
Willow_Folk said:

I sometimes run this road of reasoning - not only for Anime - but in all creative regards. I think the single most compelling argument would be the defense of the Industry's Growth; for instance, the genre's that have doubled in popularity since the 2000's. Seldom is the issue with 'quality' perceived as an economic one, but admittedly or not i believe your question warrants a statistical answer and that answer is that with more Studios appearing > more quantity will appear obviously relative to some type of demand.

The same logic extends to Youtube which i like to equally debate when hearing people critique it's diminished quality (of channels).
- When any industry reaches that certain point where there's an impossible amount of 'quality' videos to watch (millions/billions) ... naturally there's going to be equal to - or if you hold a refined taste - if not a higher ratio of bad quality videos.

In essence ...
It's evolved to such a point where Efficient Navigation is the real issue.

disclaimer (lol - for you cucks reading) This is clearly just (my) one Weeb's opinion.

I've come to make a similar conclusion myself. It's very easy to say the quality of Anime is slowly degrading because on the surface it does seems that way. In reality if you go back each season and tally off each show you'll see a repeating pattern. More often than not you'll see more bad show that will make you question your sanity than a good shows to reaffirm your love in the medium; and its a amount that seems to get larger by the year. Rather than quality shrinking its quantity that's growing. You could make the argument that it's akin to quality shows being shoved into obscurity, but I think it's a more fundamental issue that deals with demand more than anything.

The industry is growing and the type of people who it reaches aren't interested in a grand narrative; shout out to shootdatpancake for that Hiroki Azuma recommendation (will read it's entirety soon). They are interested in getting their routine fix of moe-blobs, cute idols, edgy emo thriller, etc. That's not to say that the type of shows which employ these sensibilities are bad but why bother spending more time needed to go the extra mile than to just connect A to B and move on to the next project.

Borrowing your Youtube angle there's no need to think about video editing, timing, angle of shots, and etc when you can just use the same template for every video. I feel that is what the industry is currently akin to; recycling templates. Sure, character design has made leaps and bounds but everything else seems to be a bland, and numbingly obvious, regurgitation of past examples. The most disheartening part is people don't seem to mind and the industry is taking this as a sign everything is fine and dandy.

It's not hard to imagine a vicious cycle where the industry grows exponentially large, their core audience follows suit, and the time it takes to sift through the fodder to get to the worth wild content will be just as titanic.
Mar 2, 2017 8:59 AM

May 2009
Yeah, current perceptions of "quality" pretty much go like this:
* older anime: pre-filtered for your tastes so you can easily find good stuff you like, plus it all gets lumped into one pile of "older anime"
* newer anime: not pre-filtered, so you see a lot of stuff that would have been forgotten by a time in the future analogous to how we've now forgotten various shows from the past.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 3, 2017 8:43 AM

May 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Yeah, current perceptions of "quality" pretty much go like this:
* older anime: pre-filtered for your tastes so you can easily find good stuff you like, plus it all gets lumped into one pile of "older anime"
* newer anime: not pre-filtered, so you see a lot of stuff that would have been forgotten by a time in the future analogous to how we've now forgotten various shows from the past.

This. How can people be surprised when 'new anime' only consists of the latest season, and 'older anime' has 10 years worth of material?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

85 by ColourWheel »»
1 minute ago

» What's the last bad anime you've watched? ( 1 2 )

MechaFanBoy1979 - Mar 17

82 by ScarRufus »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

89 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
3 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

21 by LostSpectre »»
7 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 5 hours ago

32 by GalacticMagna »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.