Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 25, 2017 1:49 AM

I know that many of anime came out as adaptations from various source material such manga, light novel, games etc. There are also many different quality of adaptations from partial with anime only-ending, rushed, re-arranged plot, or just plain good / bad quality of adaptations.

One of my question here, is there any more anime's / japanese story franchise that have different type of media such as video games, anime, manga, live action that have DIFFERENT PART in their story in each specific media.

The one I can recalled :
1. The Matrix - Have movie, then short OVA, 2 video games and comics
2. Final Fantasy XV - Kingsglaive movie, short anime then the main game

That is the only one I can recall, let me know if there are more.
Key points here are each media need to tell different story.

Things to discuss:
Would you like to see more "story franchise" that used this kinda cross media to tell the story / expand the lore?
Is there any more anime that can be benefited from these?

*There might be another more accurate term, I can change the topic title if necessary.
Watching style atm:

1. Mindless Gaming + Anime streaming with dual monitor
2. Focused + Anime binged watching with speed up
3. Couch / Bed Anime watching with large TV
4. Relaxing in virtual cinema with VR.

Feb 25, 2017 1:55 AM

Gungrave came from a game and it's one of the few video game adaptations that I actually really enjoy.

Personally, I don't care what the source is as long as the anime is good as a stand alone.

Feb 25, 2017 2:07 AM

Angel beats is an example cross media series. For instance the prequel series to Angel beats is a light novel. Next the main series is an anime. Then after the anime it the drama CD, if I am not mistaken.

Feb 25, 2017 3:01 AM

EZanime91 said:
Angel beats is an example cross media series. For instance the prequel series to Angel beats is a light novel. Next the main series is an anime. Then after the anime it the drama CD, if I am not mistaken.

Well, Nanoha has series & "audio drama" (just sound)

One series that I want to finish is .//hack. It has manga, novels, games, anime.

Feb 25, 2017 3:55 AM

Danganronpa
The anime skips from DR1 to DR3, and the DR3 anime isn't even related to the DR3 game.

Feb 25, 2017 6:23 PM

.hack//liminality was a cool little anime that ran alongside the games and told an original yet related story.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!

Feb 26, 2017 6:44 AM

I don't cross-media storytelling so long as it doesn't require me to invest in it. By that, I mean it's nice to see all the connects, but if the good only comes out by watching 3 movies and playing 100 hours in a video game - then no. Things must stand on their own.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things