Forum Settings
Forums
Feb 23, 2017 5:04 AM

The Myers-Briggs (personality) Type Indicator. I think it's a lot of rubbish.
Viva la Vida.

Feb 23, 2017 6:22 AM

It's not perfect, but it accurately predicts and categorizes people into its 16 types, for what it's worth. Like I said in a thread a while back, some other people and I have been studying the MBTI a bit and delved into the theory of it (Carl Jung stuff), and we've had fun trying to "type" each other in the past, and it's actually relatively easy to assume someone's type if you know the person and know how the MBTI works. I've even typed people on MAL before (at least like 15 different people), and I can't remember being wrong. The framework is consistent and predictable, which is what is so intiguing about it.

I don't take it too seriously, though, and I don't think that companies should use it to assess their employees, but it's a fun instrument to analyze people with.

Feb 23, 2017 6:25 AM
Wide Face

Nah. Its pretty much more complicated horoscopes and I do know a number of people who use it to determine their future careers.

You should hear the opinion of someone who does believe in the scale. I know my Mom believes in that and other bullshit superstitions like how she gave birthed me during the Chinese year of the Goat so I'll be a great musician.

Feb 23, 2017 6:32 AM

It's more accurate then many other things. Problem is the people taking them are usually not honest, or don't know shit about themselves. I've seen people who are selfish take these tests and genuinely think they are the more generous people ever. I've seen people who literally need to go outside claim on these tests that they would rather stay inside and are introverts.

I've also seen people who are certain types and claim answers to questions purely based on 1 situation from memory that goes against what they usually do. An example is a person who usually doesn't think about actual facts and justifications at all, only emotion. Because of that 1 time at band camp though where they "Thought rationally without emotion" they would answer a question in a way that is wrong.

And this leads me to my point. The test is accurate and good, the people taking them might not be however. I've seen people claim to be INTJ's who, after retested are something completely different. Not because the test is wrong but because of the 1 time situation example above applying to different questions or them forgetting that 1 time situation on questions.

In terms of predicting other stuff like couples, and who you get along with. That's really subjective but in terms of predicting you yourself it's relatively accurate.

Feb 23, 2017 10:24 AM

It definitely has it's issues, but it's pretty accurate. I'm an INFP with ENFP tendencies, so I can be a little hyper and random at times. I don't take it to seriously though.

Feb 23, 2017 10:28 AM

No it's complete bullshit. People are not so simple that they can be boiled down to 4 letters.

Feb 23, 2017 10:29 AM

I still think it has his issues..people are using it because there are no alternatives

Feb 23, 2017 11:17 AM

Personality tests are all bollocks tbh.

Feb 23, 2017 11:24 AM

I take it with a grain of salt. Don't really invest too much of my energy into it, but it's always entertaining to read forums dedicated to it and people who are hardcore believers.

Feb 23, 2017 12:25 PM

no because ihave no personality yet they give me SVME letter shit.

Feb 23, 2017 1:52 PM

Let me quoute myself:

"My personalty test result is NSFW (-A/-T) and I love irony, puns and sarcasm as you can see. I don't think a test is enough to define a personality."

Feb 23, 2017 3:04 PM

Never heard of that shit. Never really care about it.

Feb 23, 2017 7:02 PM

Meyers-Briggs is pretty pretentious crap. I mean it's vaguely informative, but tests like these are mostly bullshit.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.

Feb 23, 2017 11:35 PM

Its' boring crap. I prefer Chaotic Neutral Gemini, year of the Ox, with Yin Wood power to plain MBTI.

Feb 23, 2017 11:39 PM
its not taken seriously by psychology as far as i know
i think big 5 personality traits is what psychology use at the moment i heard

Oct 20, 10:02 AM

Brought back this thread to say there is much more to MBTI than a 4 letters test. It's not supposed to be a test, there is an entire theory behind it and to truly determine your type you would need to research your cognitive functions and not simply do a test.

People who 'don't believe' in it haven't seen further than 16personalities dot com (or are S types lol).

The letters are bullshit to a degree, Jungian cognitive functions make much more sense. No, you can't be more than one type. No, there isn't 16 kinds of people in the world. 16 is just a rough number, every individual has their functions differently developed.

Oct 20, 10:38 AM

Yes, it has many limitations and is not the best personality test, which is the big 5.

Oct 21, 7:28 PM

Bobby2Hands said:
No it's complete bullshit. People are not so simple that they can be boiled down to 4 letters.
Yes they can: A-S-S-H
Shit, ran out of letters.

Oct 21, 8:24 PM
Devil Trigger

Three words: Grains of salt.

Seriously enough to make some comparisons and see some correlations between certain MBTI labels and how people with a certain label tend to act. But, like with astrology, it's mostly bullshit to me.

Oct 21, 9:58 PM

Nowadays, I treat it about the same as "Which Disney Princess (I was Tiana in the results btw :P) X are you?" quizzes.

Far limiting with the fact it's boiled down into 16 types underestimating the complexities of human nature.

Oct 23, 4:42 AM

It's a just for fun quiz, since these can never define your personality. They can show you your core personality and temperament, but you surely don't need such a test to know, if you are more of an introvert or extrovert or both.
You shouldn't take every word too seriously, but it's a nice addition and fun stuff. Also mine was quite accurate overall.

Oct 23, 4:50 AM

My mbti is DIVA. But yeah, I don't think anyone should take any personality tests too seriously including the mbti, enneagram or big 5. They show something but are not the everything to who you are and the end all to who you can be.

Oct 23, 5:01 AM

I've structured my entire life around the outcome of online tests. I don't do anything without first confirming that it matches my personality type.

Oct 23, 5:03 AM

i too, would like all my choices, outlook on life, opinions, personality, failures, successes, and fate be associated to a free online test that spits out 4 lexicons for me to strictly follow through.

Oct 23, 7:48 AM

It has own limitations, just one of tools use...

Oct 23, 7:53 AM

The MBTI definitely has less credibility than say Big 5, but the problem is all personality tests are filled in by the person themselves.

Personally, I definitely prefer Big 5 because MBTI is like the PG version in that it implies all personalities are more-or-less equal, when in reality some personalities are just more likeable or overall advantageous, at the very least.

That being said, the MBTI is fun. I like guessing my friends' MBTIs, and seeing what others think I am XD I just don't take it very seriously

but you can become stronger
でもつよくなれるよ             

Oct 25, 3:46 AM

ISTP here. sick of the dirty neckbeard INTJ's 👌

Oct 25, 4:22 AM
Cajolery said:
i too, would like all my choices, outlook on life, opinions, personality, failures, successes, and fate be associated to a free online test that spits out 4 lexicons for me to strictly follow through.

That's really not how it works .......
Big brother is watching you.

Oct 25, 4:23 AM

Virtually all ways to classify pretty much anything outside of physics that I've seen are rubbish that are always filled with gaping holes.

The universe bends not to man's delusions that it should fit into the expectations he has for it.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

Oct 25, 5:18 AM

Come on you guys, isn't there anyone here familiar with cognitive functions? None of this is how it works. I'm not gonna be the as*hole who'll quote everyone and mbtisplain stuff but it's kinda annoying to see how misunderstood it is.

(but I must say I/E doesn't actually show if you are 'an introvert on an extrovert', it indicates if your dominant cognitive function is introverted or extroverted. It is not so easy to know lmao)

True, the functions are just a construct, but it is a fun system that works AND makes much more sense once you actually bother to learn something about it. Dunno, as an avid mbti researcher (lol), I do kinda take it seriously, but also can draw the line between theories and proven facts, and I'm aware this is not a proven fact. Also yes, it cannot be used to explain the whole personality, which is kind of obvious from the start, isn't it? It explains overall aspects of personality and 8 cognitive processes that can be applied to it, and that's more than enough to know something.

And you absolutely can narrow these processes down to "4 letters" if that's the system you chose to try out, while also being aware it is not the absolute/whole truth.

It also should be obvious that it's not meant to be something you base your life decisions on. The personality isn't set in stone, and cognitive functions definitely encourage self growth and getting out of your comfort zone for your own sake.

(Example, I'm a lazy INTP with aux Ne which makes me lazy and unable to commit to work, tldr but I should try to develop the function that will make me less lazy, that xxTJ types have Te function. That means being an INTP is not an excuse to be lazy -- I should probably overcome this by learning how to work more like other types.
I mean you can just delete the mbti terms from that example and it would still make sense (you are lazy and you know a person who is very hardworking and maybe it would help you if you learned something from them), but I like explaining it to myself with mbti because I like these kinds of systems.)

Ok all this was the most pretentious thing I've written but I'm tired of people making fun of something they know nothing about. Of course nobody is forcing you to take it seriously! but I'd say it's a sign of maturity to accept that maybe your stance on it is related to you not knowing much about the subject.

Not trying to mbti-shame anyone, I was the same when I was younger, sh*ttalking the test because it sounded dumb, but then I found a lot of things out and it started making sense.

Also please please please don't compare it to buzzfeed quizzes or zodiac because maybe it's wrong but it's NOTHING like it and it's cringy to even consider that.

Oct 25, 2:30 PM

guppika said:
Come on you guys, isn't there anyone here familiar with cognitive functions? None of this is how it works. I'm not gonna be the as*hole who'll quote everyone and mbtisplain stuff but it's kinda annoying to see how misunderstood it is.

(but I must say I/E doesn't actually show if you are 'an introvert on an extrovert', it indicates if your dominant cognitive function is introverted or extroverted. It is not so easy to know lmao)

True, the functions are just a construct, but it is a fun system that works AND makes much more sense once you actually bother to learn something about it. Dunno, as an avid mbti researcher (lol), I do kinda take it seriously, but also can draw the line between theories and proven facts, and I'm aware this is not a proven fact. Also yes, it cannot be used to explain the whole personality, which is kind of obvious from the start, isn't it? It explains overall aspects of personality and 8 cognitive processes that can be applied to it, and that's more than enough to know something.

And you absolutely can narrow these processes down to "4 letters" if that's the system you chose to try out, while also being aware it is not the absolute/whole truth.

It also should be obvious that it's not meant to be something you base your life decisions on. The personality isn't set in stone, and cognitive functions definitely encourage self growth and getting out of your comfort zone for your own sake.

(Example, I'm a lazy INTP with aux Ne which makes me lazy and unable to commit to work, tldr but I should try to develop the function that will make me less lazy, that xxTJ types have Te function. That means being an INTP is not an excuse to be lazy -- I should probably overcome this by learning how to work more like other types.
I mean you can just delete the mbti terms from that example and it would still make sense (you are lazy and you know a person who is very hardworking and maybe it would help you if you learned something from them), but I like explaining it to myself with mbti because I like these kinds of systems.)

Ok all this was the most pretentious thing I've written but I'm tired of people making fun of something they know nothing about. Of course nobody is forcing you to take it seriously! but I'd say it's a sign of maturity to accept that maybe your stance on it is related to you not knowing much about the subject.

Not trying to mbti-shame anyone, I was the same when I was younger, sh*ttalking the test because it sounded dumb, but then I found a lot of things out and it started making sense.

Also please please please don't compare it to buzzfeed quizzes or zodiac because maybe it's wrong but it's NOTHING like it and it's cringy to even consider that.

So uhh... what do you say about an ENTJ who's been too depressed, too often, for too long and who seems like some sort of a turbo, sleezy, INFP with absolutely no ambitions, no goals, and no direction? I mean, yea, even with all that baggage I'm doing far better than like 90% of the people but holy fuck if I don't feel like I'm just passing the days and I can't imagine how it must feel when this is over.

I wasted a lot of time on PerC, mainly to troll people but of course I also picked up on a lot of this theory but it just has too many holes, even with the cognitive functions. It's hard to really even be sure of your own personality type unless you're an absolute caricature, much less put that knowledge to any kind of good use. It's a fun tool to play with but ultimately serves no use. People change, sometimes drastically, and the idea of shadow functions alone does not cater for that. And if the goal post now shifts to "But hey! your type is what you are most of the time and not what you are all the time" then... come on, those substitutions are the first sign that you're advocating for an inherently irrational argument/system.

Oct 25, 3:26 PM

Thanakos said:

So uhh... what do you say about an ENTJ who's been too depressed, too often, for too long and who seems like some sort of a turbo, sleezy, INFP with absolutely no ambitions, no goals, and no direction? I mean, yea, even with all that baggage I'm doing far better than like 90% of the people but holy fuck if I don't feel like I'm just passing the days and I can't imagine how it must feel when this is over.

I wasted a lot of time on PerC, mainly to troll people but of course I also picked up on a lot of this theory but it just has too many holes, even with the cognitive functions. It's hard to really even be sure of your own personality type unless you're an absolute caricature, much less put that knowledge to any kind of good use. It's a fun tool to play with but ultimately serves no use. People change, sometimes drastically, and the idea of shadow functions alone does not cater for that. And if the goal post now shifts to "But hey! your type is what you are most of the time and not what you are all the time" then... come on, those substitutions are the first sign that you're advocating for an inherently irrational argument/system.

Stuff like depression is definitely something else and affects your mental state unrelated to type.
depressed ENTJ though? Fi inferior grip maybe
But no, really, there are many aspects of life that will mess with one's personality/behavior, of course not everything can be explained with mbti.

It definitely does have holes, that's why I did say it's not the absolute truth. While I like the system and try to put it to actual good use like self improvement and being more tolerant of different people, it's really not for everyone. Idk I guess I find it easy to come up with explanations for these holes? But I understand not everyone cares to work with that lol

It's not that hard to be sure of your own type once you start really understanding yourself, but yes it also takes time, and as I said in another post, the test isn't a good tool for that and trivializes the entire system which results in posts like this entire thread.

Not really sure if I want to argue with you here because I actually respect it when someone who knows about the theory criticizes it! But people who haven't seen further than 16personalities dot com saying that this is just zodiac for pretentious people or comparing it to buzzfeed quizzes? Kinda reeks of ignorance.

Oct 25, 4:44 PM

I don't think the general idea behind it is dumb.

Hypothetically, I could make a system that categorizes people based on what their favorite kind of activity is, and what their favorite kind of food is. If I said some people tend to prefer stuff like sports more, while some tend to prefer stuff like reading more, that is probably not controversial. But, do these factors say a lot about who they are as people? Maybe not.

MBTI is just a categorization of people by "traits" (there is probably a better word for it), as in prefering to think in a certain way vs another way. It's not like astrology where people are categorized by birthdates, and then traits are assigned according to the birthdate, which seems pretty random.

MBTI should not be taken as a categorization of a person's whole personality, I think. I doubt that's the original purpose. It's just a selection of broad "traits" that describe some aspects of a person's personality. Or I guess it can be desscribed as cognitive processes That's what people are after with this thing. The "cognitive functinos", I think they could be described as metaphors for what goes on in someone's head and they're being written based on observation and reasoning, rather than more scientific evidence. So there may not be solid ground for MBTI to stand on.

There are many points where you can criticize MBTI, and there are many questions you can wonder about related to it. You can ask whether these "traits" or functions are actually relevant or accurate. Do we generally have something like a consistent core in our personality, preferences that stay more or less the same for all of our lives? Many sites that write about MBTI make a lot of assumptions without real proof, and many contradict each other. That makes the whole thing seem less legit.

Interestingly, the 16personalities site, which is probably where most people got introduced to MBTI, isn't like the original MBTI. From what I've heard, they tried to bring it closer to the big five (which is generally considered to be more legit), which is why there's a fifth letter (T/A) in the code.

As many will say, reading about the functions and introspecting for some time is probably better than using a quiz for typing, if you are willing to trust the system.

So, my answer to the question in the thread title would be that yes I do believe in the concept of MBTI to an extent, because again I think it's just meant to be a categorization of how people prefer to think and see things, but it should be taken with a grain of salt still.

Sorry that this post turned out really messy.

Papaya!

Oct 25, 6:16 PM

It's a Buzzfeed quiz for "intellectual" types.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ