Forum Settings
Forums

Winners of the 2017 Tokyo Anime Awards Announced

New
Feb 23, 2017 1:45 AM

Nov 2007
Winners of the Tokyo Anime Awards have been announced for 2017.

Animation of the Year
Koe no Katachi (Film)
Yuri!!! On Ice (Television)

Fan Award
Yuri!!! On Ice (Television)

Individual Awards
Best Director: Makoto Shinkai (Kimi no Na wa.)
Best Script & Original Story: Reiko Yoshida (Koe no Katachi)
Best Animator: Tadashi Hiramatsu (Yuri!!! On Ice)
Best Art, Color, and Film: Shunichirou Yoshihara (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai)
Best Sound and Performance: Hiroyuki Sawano (Koutetsujou no Kabaneri)

Honorary Achievement Awards
Sound Director: Susumu Akitagawa (Guin Saga)
Director: Hiroshi Ikeda (Soratobu Yuureisen)
Animation Director: Yoshifumi Kondou, deceased (Majo no Takkyuubin)
Producer: Sumio Gotouda, deceased (3-tsu no Hanashi)
Art Director: Naoyuki Tsuji (Mazinger Z art)
Animation Author: Taku Furukawa (Speed)
Singer: Youko Maekawa (Cutie Honey theme songs)
Seiyuu: Eiko Masuyama (Lupin III: Part II)
Original Author: Reiji Matsumoto (Ginga Tetsudou 999)
Color Setting: Michiyo Yasuda, deceased (Hotaru no Haka)

*Note: The titles listed next to individual awards are merely one series that the winner has worked on; they are not the title that the winner won the award for.

Source: Official site

← Previous Year
Sakana-sanFeb 6, 2020 10:13 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 23, 2017 1:48 AM

Dec 2015
Koe no Katachi stream when? ;__;
Feb 23, 2017 1:51 AM

Oct 2014
Yuri on Ice! Are you fucking kidding me?
Feb 23, 2017 1:51 AM

Mar 2014
Was surprised at Reiko Yoshida being there but didn't realize she did the screenplay for Koe no Katachi. Holy crap.
Feb 23, 2017 1:59 AM

Apr 2016
Fujoshi nation....
Feb 23, 2017 2:01 AM

Sep 2014
SUCK this HATERS!!!!! Yuri On Ice is Killing it!!!!!!!!
Feb 23, 2017 2:02 AM
Aug 2015
Happy to see Makoto Shinkai as Best Director! Even if not a surprise, it's still good to see
Feb 23, 2017 2:06 AM

Apr 2011
YOI should not have won best animation, but what can you do? Just like w/ the Oscars, hype usually overwhelms reason or reality. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At least Koutetsujou no Kabaneri won SOMETHING, still think that it deserved best art over JoJo, if not for my own personal preference, simply because the head artist is such a legend.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 23, 2017 2:16 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
You can fangirl over Yuri on Ice as much as you want, but you can't argue it has the best animation of the year. That's just ridiculous

But well I guess official awards are still what they always were
Feb 23, 2017 2:26 AM

May 2012
Damn. Meanwhile, we still gotta wait a few more months to watch Koe no Katachi >_<

Feb 23, 2017 2:40 AM

Oct 2016
Any mention of YOI winning an award and the comment section turns into the Dead Sea. Salty af
Feb 23, 2017 2:40 AM

Apr 2014
Awful results as always, nothing surprising here.
Feb 23, 2017 2:41 AM

Apr 2014
kristenkago said:
Any mention of YOI winning an award and the comment section turns into the Dead Sea. Salty af

Because it doesn't deserve it.
Feb 23, 2017 2:44 AM

Nov 2007
Robiiii said:
Koe no Katachi stream when? ;__;
Raw might come out when BD & DVD of the movie releases on May 17, 2017, so around then (I don't think pre-release is scheduled any time soon).
Feb 23, 2017 2:50 AM

Jul 2014
animation of the year, as in the work of the year that happened to be animated... it doesn't mean that it won it for its animation.
Feb 23, 2017 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
YES YES YES YES AHHHHHH!! <3
Happiest person alive XD
Really wanted Your name to win anime of the year as well >_<

@tsubasalover Will you post sugoi Japan award as well on March 15?
Feb 23, 2017 3:04 AM

Oct 2010
I for one agree with this. Yuri on Ice didn't really have the 'best animation' but it did something very special and unique which is just as important.
Feb 23, 2017 3:07 AM

Nov 2007
Yaoi-Senpai said:
I'm not sure if we will as we never posted Sugoi Japan Award before.
Feb 23, 2017 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
tsubasalover said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:
I'm not sure if we will as we never posted Sugoi Japan Award before.

I see, then I will post it or someone else. Thanks for informing me.
Feb 23, 2017 3:43 AM

Mar 2012
This is why this kind of rewards is similar to Westerm Oscar Awards, all they care is popularity instead of quality.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Feb 23, 2017 4:11 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Critics plz
You were on a good streak in the past years with Shirobako and Ping pong the animation. :c
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 23, 2017 4:42 AM

Oct 2014
Sazanami-Kai said:
This is why this kind of rewards is similar to Westerm Oscar Awards, all they care is popularity instead of quality.

yeah apparently popularity means quality nowadays.
Feb 23, 2017 4:46 AM

Dec 2015
Lol what a bad joke.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 23, 2017 5:10 AM
Nov 2015
A series featuring a same-sex couple just won a mainstream award...in JAPAN. I do not give a singular shit about what people have to say regarding YoI, because this right here is what so many LGBTQ people died for;accurate representation. Can people please just pull the salt covered stick out of their ass and realize how this anime could potentially change the lives of Japanese LGBTQ people for the BETTER.
Feb 23, 2017 5:39 AM

Apr 2011
How about no? ^
The creator of YOI is already backpedaling on any sort of 'canon' lgbt representation, plus YOI never was a healthy or romantic example of a lgbt relationship in the first place. Queerbaiting should not be rewarded. End of story. I am tired of so many people acting like YOI must protected because 'IT HAZ MY GAYS.' Plenty of other anime came before it with superior writing and actual canon, no baiting bullshit.

There have been lgbt anime and relationships in anime since the 70s, sorry to break this to you, but it's true. Ever heard of Cutie Honey? Honestly.
AngelicTotoroFeb 23, 2017 5:42 AM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 23, 2017 5:46 AM

Apr 2011
Karlan said:
Not Yuri on Ice again! I'm starting to hate this f****cking show. It brings the worst in people: fanatical lefitsts, mysogynistic haters, crazy, agressive yaoi fangirls, they all seem to crawl from wherever they were dwelling when this anime is concerned. It's like YOI is a work of Satan. It shouldn't win any awards, it should be forgotten.

It made too much money to be forgotten. More evidence that anime has begun to die, they forget the loyal anime viewership and instead pander to the rabid merchandise buying otaku. A sad reality. Why else do you think YOI has so many frickin' characters that literally do and add nothing, but then get loads of merch based upon them? It's a marketing ploy.
Ericonator said:
Feb 23, 2017 6:23 AM

Apr 2016
Wanted to leave this planet after reading the name of YOI as the best animation on this list but changed my mind after realising how many anime i have to watch before i die. 😂😂
Feb 23, 2017 7:12 AM

Oct 2012
I see people crying (as they do everywhere whenever YoI is mentioned) and I like it.

Congratulations to the winners! I want Koe no Katachi~~
Feb 23, 2017 7:15 AM

Jul 2007
Best Animator: Tadashi Hiramatsu (Yuri!!! On Ice)

Wheeeew.

I mean its okay to like Yuri on Ice for the perceived representation(even though imo it was just subtle baiting and never actually moved further than that), but animation is NOT the thing to price YoI for. The production and animation in YoI was a mess.

I would understand if GITS SAC released this year but Tadashi Hiramatsu did not really do much beyond YoI lately.
Feb 23, 2017 7:19 AM
Jul 2018
tsubasalover said:

*Note: The titles listed next to individual awards are merely one series that the winner has worked on; they are not the title that the winner won the award for.

@Hitesh_Ghugtyal @Fai

Guys seriously, can't you read the full list before posting?
Feb 23, 2017 7:22 AM

Jul 2007
Yaoi-Senpai said:
tsubasalover said:

@Hitesh_Ghugtyal @Fai

Guys seriously, can't you read the full list before posting?

Literally in my post:
Fai said:

I would understand if GITS SAC released this year but Tadashi Hiramatsu did not really do much beyond YoI lately.

What other notable things did he do this year?

If someone is getting an award its only normal to know why they are getting it.
Feb 23, 2017 7:39 AM

Dec 2016
Imagine being so bored with your life that you're always doing the absolute most to undermine the gay figure skating anime. At this point I feel people need to start tagging a trigger warning whenever YOI is going to be mentioned, before it puts some of you in the hospital. This amount of anger and salt can't be healthy.

Ahhh I really want to watch Koe no Katachi!

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Feb 23, 2017 7:42 AM

Jul 2007
NanoRin said:
Imagine being so bored with your life that you're always doing the absolute most to undermine the gay figure skating anime. At this point I feel people need to start tagging a trigger warning whenever YOI is going to be mentioned, before it puts some of you in the hospital.

A product being progressive does not excuse quality flaws. YoI's production process was a mess that required dozens of animation directors per episode and contained animation mistakes and changes between different versions of the show. Animation is not the thing to praise that show for.

Critique in no way undermines "progressiveness"(which is arguable in first place in case of YoI since a lot of it felt more like baiting and beyond the obscured kiss the show avoided outright stating it being textual) of a work because that is not what is being critiqued.

In here its more of a problem that there's no context on WHY the animator got the award. If its not for YoI then what exactly merited it?
AhenshihaelFeb 23, 2017 7:47 AM
Feb 23, 2017 7:55 AM

Apr 2011
You know, the real talking point here is overrated Makoto Shinkai movie no. xxKimi no Na wa not winning the Best Film award. I mean, Koe no Katachi winning it came out of absolutely nowhere.
Feb 23, 2017 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
Okay I'm not really sure but there is different in the animation of Yuri on ice. Up>TV stream, Down>DVD/bluray.

Another one

removed-userFeb 23, 2017 8:15 AM
Feb 23, 2017 8:31 AM

Sep 2015
Reading those hater comments makes my day, to be honest. Much salt, very angry, so 'queerbait'.
Whether you like it or not, YOI won. Just accept it and don't be sore losers each time it wins an award for Gods sake! I personally think that Kimi no Na wa is better than Koe no Katachi, but I would never hate on a show that a lot of people worked hard on. So what if a show I preferred didn't win? I'm not a twelve year old to act all salty about it.
Feb 23, 2017 8:32 AM

Dec 2016
@Fai The creators have said time and again how difficult the production process was and how much work had to go into each episode (which, spoiler alert, was a heck of a lot of work made even more difficult by time and budget constraints). Was the animation always consistent? No. Was it the best animation of the last year, objectively, probably not. Was animation sometimes sacrificed for fluidity and motion during the skating sequences, absolutely.

But you know what? When the animation was good, it was really, really damn good. Some of the skating scenes were animated breathtakingly well, which is a pretty difficult feat in and of itself. And you know what, I'm pretty darn tired of people tearing the show apart, using the same scenes and argument over and over and acting like it's animation was so darn bad and NEVER taking a moment to acknowledge the many good moments. So sure, what they aired on tv may not always have the best animation, it might not be up to par with your favorite battle shounens or whatever magic kyoani uses, but clearly there are people that enjoyed what YOI had to offer given the resources they had.

I'm not even touching the "progressiveness" issue. I'm too tired of it.

My advice to you and everyone else is this isn't the first or last time this is going to happen, so get over it, enjoy your shows and let other people enjoy theirs.

Feb 23, 2017 9:05 AM

Feb 2016
xQUEENx said:
Reading those hater comments makes my day, to be honest. Much salt, very angry, so 'queerbait'.
Whether you like it or not, YOI won. Just accept it and don't be sore losers each time it wins an award for Gods sake! I personally think that Kimi no Na wa is better than Koe no Katachi, but I would never hate on a show that a lot of people worked hard on. So what if a show I preferred didn't win? I'm not a twelve year old to act all salty about it.

I'm not sure if you can say that you like Kimi no Na wa more than Koe no Katachi when you havent watched both and you watched the one you say is. Its almost as if wont give it a chance to become your favorite since the beginning. For example, i would never say that i like Kuroko no Basket or Haikyuu more than YoI when i never watched it.
Feb 23, 2017 9:11 AM

Jul 2007
NanoRin said:
@Fai The creators have said time and again how difficult the production process was and how much work had to go into each episode (which, spoiler alert, was a heck of a lot of work made even more difficult by time and budget constraints). Was the animation always consistent? No. Was it the best animation of the last year, objectively, probably not. Was animation sometimes sacrificed for fluidity and motion during the skating sequences, absolutely.

But you know what? When the animation was good, it was really, really damn good. Some of the skating scenes were animated breathtakingly well, which is a pretty difficult feat in and of itself. And you know what, I'm pretty darn tired of people tearing the show apart, using the same scenes and argument over and over and acting like it's animation was so darn bad and NEVER taking a moment to acknowledge the many good moments. So sure, what they aired on tv may not always have the best animation, it might not be up to par with your favorite battle shounens or whatever magic kyoani uses, but clearly there are people that enjoyed what YOI had to offer given the resources they had.

And nobody is saying animation was bad. It was uneven and production was a mess.Even the best parts were not THE best as you yourself admit. It was simply not something I see anyone giving the show awards over. In this case this felt more like popularity vote.

My advice to you and everyone else is this isn't the first or last time this is going to happen, so get over it, enjoy your shows and let other people enjoy theirs.

The irony of someone accusing a queer person with hating the show because of lgbt pairing is hilarious.

Progressive content does not suddenly excuse the issues the show had nor stop critique.
Feb 23, 2017 9:17 AM

Feb 2012
At least the guy from JoJolion got some recognition.

Disappointed with the other winners.
Feb 23, 2017 9:18 AM

Mar 2008
aww, deal with it will ya? ;D

Feb 23, 2017 9:18 AM

Dec 2015
xQUEENx said:
I personally think that Kimi no Na wa is better than Koe no Katachi, but I would never hate on a show that a lot of people worked hard on. So what if a show I preferred didn't win?
I think that's a matter of perspective and understanding. You don't like it that the show is getting hated when you personally found it to be damn good, thus failing to understand why it's hated. This is where most of the fans of the show assume the hate is caused because the show is gay and further blind themselves to the flaws the show had.

People are 'salty' because there were a lot of 'better' anime out there last year that deserved attention and a show that is blindly considered a masterpiece by a lot of people was deemed to be 'better'. Of course people will be offended and angry.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate YOI, I would never fall so low as to hate an anime for being gay or for being popular.
Feb 23, 2017 10:00 AM

Dec 2016
@Fai A very vocal lot of people have been consistently criticizing YOI for a lot of things including animation since the first episode aired last October and most of that criticism is never constructive. I think your comment just finally tipped me over the edge a bit after biting my tongue for a while. My previous reply to you still stands, but honestly I get it. I understand where you're coming from. Though this particular vote is separate from the fan vote which YOI also won. This one was chosen by actual critics and I wish people would just at least try to see the good in YOI that others do. I'm just really tired of the constant backlash over things like this.

Fai said:

The irony of someone accusing a queer person with hating the show because of lgbt pairing is hilarious.

Progressive content does not suddenly excuse the issues the show had nor stop critique.

The irony of a lesbian accusing another queer person with hating the show because of lgbt pairing is not lost on me either.

I also didn't accuse you of hating the show because of the same-sex relationship. That's why I said my advice to you and everyone else, my comment was aimed at everyone on this thread complaining. Allow me to reiterate: I don't think YOI's animation was always consistent, I do think YOI deserves recognition for what it was able to accomplish given it's resources, I don't think YOI deserves the unrelenting hate and nonconstructive criticism it and it's fandom receives and I'm still not going to touch the "progressiveness" issue. I've had that argument one too many times.

Feb 23, 2017 11:21 AM

Nov 2007
I wonder if the same panel decides on TV Anime and Featured Film. The result somehow reminded me that SAO and Ookami Kodomo Ame to Yuki won in 2013.

Anyways, so happy for Kyoto Animation (my favourite studio) and also because the adaptation of one of my all time favourite manga won this award. There couldn't have been a better recognition than the quote below:

Shinkai Makoto said:
I watched Koe no Katachi during the prescreening. It is a fantastic piece of work. Handled with such earnestness and care, the work successfully depicted a beautiful range of art, colours, and emotions. It was a polished and grand production, that, no matter how much you wanted to replicate, simply can't.

Eagerly waiting to see this.

/me has marked the calendar
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 23, 2017 11:33 AM

Dec 2012
joe_g7 said:
xQUEENx said:
I personally think that Kimi no Na wa is better than Koe no Katachi, but I would never hate on a show that a lot of people worked hard on. So what if a show I preferred didn't win?
I think that's a matter of perspective and understanding. You don't like it that the show is getting hated when you personally found it to be damn good, thus failing to understand why it's hated. This is where most of the fans of the show assume the hate is caused because the show is gay and further blind themselves to the flaws the show had.

People are 'salty' because there were a lot of 'better' anime out there last year that deserved attention and a show that is blindly considered a masterpiece by a lot of people was deemed to be 'better'. Of course people will be offended and angry.

I'm sure the first point u made goes both ways, just wanted to point that out.

"I think that's a matter of perspective and understanding. You don't like it that the show is getting loved when you personally found it to be bad, thus failing to understand why it's loved. This is where most of the haters of the show assume the love is caused because the show is gay and further blind themselves to the good qualities the show had."

Now, in regards to your second point, these 'better' anime that deserved attention, are actually for the most part based on these 'peoples' different views and tastes. Now, YOI being blindly considered a masterpiece and 'better' than all these other shows people liked, yes, there are people who do blindly think that, along with people who blindly think that it is a horrible show and worse than all the other shows they liked, but you forget that this is an actual award given to the anime, that critics in Japan actually judged from their own perspectives and decided that it did in fact deserve the award.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that, most haters only focus on the bad qualities of a show they dislike, while most fanboys only focus on the good qualities of a show they like. Of course, I'm saying 'most' because there are people who don't think like that and have the ability to look at a show, whether they like it or not, and actually look at both the show's flaws and the good.

One last thing I wanted to point out, is that I'm not actually directly talking about YOI or Koe no Katachi, but rather focusing on just the two points you made. I haven't watched either anime, so I cannot talk about why/what I liked or disliked about them.

Also, talking in general, it really is ridiculous when people want the shows they hate to fail and do badly, and only care about the shows they like to get recognition and do well.
AdolTheRedFeb 23, 2017 11:39 AM
Feb 23, 2017 11:50 AM

Dec 2015
AdolTheRed said:
joe_g7 said:

I'm sure the first point u made goes both ways, just wanted to point that out.

"I think that's a matter of perspective and understanding. You don't like it that the show is getting loved when you personally found it to be bad, thus failing to understand why it's loved. This is where most of the haters of the show assume the love is caused because the show is gay and further blind themselves to the good qualities the show had."
Yes I agree, it goes both ways.

Now, in regards to your second point, these 'better' anime that deserved attention, are actually for the most part based on these 'peoples' different views and tastes.
Yes, that is exactly the reason I put the word "better" in those upper commas - or whatever they're called in english I don't know.

Now, YOI being blindly considered a masterpiece and 'better' than all these other shows people liked, yes, there are people who do blindly think that, but you forget that this is an actual award given to the anime, that critics in Japan actually judged from their own perspectives and decided that it did in fact deserve the award.
In this case I was not directing that to the critics, but to the fans of the show. But being a critic doesn't make you immune to bad decisions, generally speaking.
Feb 23, 2017 12:14 PM

Dec 2012
joe_g7 said:
In this case I was not directing that to the critics, but to the fans of the show. But being a critic doesn't make you immune to bad decisions, generally speaking.

Yah, I figured, I just wanted to point out that it wasn't just random people who judged the anime and that their views and perspectives would obviously be different from people outside Japan, let alone people in MAL.

And yes, anyone can make bad decisions regardless of their position in any industry. There is always another side to the story, or in this case, opinion about anime, but what I really dislike, is when people try to pass off their opinions as actual facts, not including the aspects of a show that can actually be judged objectively.
Feb 23, 2017 12:20 PM

Dec 2015
AdolTheRed said:
joe_g7 said:

But what I really dislike, is when people try to pass off their opinions as actual facts, not including the aspects of a show that can actually be judged objectively.
And that is why I'm keeping my opinion blank until I watch the show and decide for myself on which side I'm going to stand or if I'm even going to pick a side.
Feb 23, 2017 12:24 PM

Aug 2014
I didn't expect the festival to go with the same pick as the fans.

Also the movie pick was pretty surprising too.

No nominees? they released nominees last year, this year seems like they messed it up and suddenly they announce the winners, what the hell?
Feb 23, 2017 1:13 PM

Sep 2013
Good thing: Kimi no Na wa didn't win best movie.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

33 by Yubisoft »»
44 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
10 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.