Forum Settings
Forums

Is it just a trend or over-exaggerating or a mental issue, but do Tweens-20 year olds actually feel old?

New
Feb 22, 2017 10:35 PM

Jul 2012
I see this all the time, people graduating high school and talking about how old they feel because their childhood seems so far away( it was like 4 years you idiots) People talking about how a video from 2007 is a throwback, and how flip phones from the mid 2000s remind them of simpler times. These people are like 30. I mean if you feel old at 30 imagine how horrible you will feel at 60!

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/286998.php
Article talking about mind set

Go be young folks.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201308/the-role-reverser-growing-too-soon

I believe it could be a psychological problem as well.

For example if you look at the comments on
Vanessa Hudgens Say Ok Music Video (Official with Zac Efron)

They are by like 16 year olds!

"I'm getting so deep into old music videos lol"

"When times were simpler"

"this is so old LOOK AT THAT PHONE DUDE but i really love this song"

"I can't believe this was 9 years ago"

Are the older generations talking about simpler times all the time rubbing off on younger people?

Who knows!

You get these online artciles that say things that will make you feel old. They post things from like spy kids. Like gosh that means your what 28 now holly molly better think about retiring.

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/thumbs/2015/11/05/061948/84799444/things-that-make-you-feel-old.jpg

As a person, that isn't in their late 20s, maybe I just don't understand how ancient you feel by then.
Personally I am a

Disclaimer: I do understand certain life experiences can age people( war, death of parents, dropping out of school at 13, getting married young, and having a kid at 16), but I am focusing mostly on people that haven't had crazy events like these happen. Many of these people are going through the same typical life experiences previous generations have had to go through. Just part of growing up.
MiraniaFeb 22, 2017 11:00 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 22, 2017 10:38 PM

May 2013
I'm 19 and I feel old.

But when I think about 40 year olds for example, I don't see them as being that old. I think I'm just aware of my passage of time and feeling like I haven't changed much.

But I do agree that there need to be different degrees of throwbacks like 2007 wasnt that long ago. Plus I think 16 year olds that are most likely in high school by now are probably thinking back to a time when they were a child and didn't do much.
Feb 22, 2017 10:39 PM

Feb 2017
I just recently turned 20 and keep having to remind myself.
I think the main reason people feel that way is because people tend to measure
their life through their past experience rather than their future.
Especially when it comes to being a teenager, the social change is pretty dramatic,
But even then coming out of teens is probably even worse.
Feb 22, 2017 10:53 PM

Jun 2015
I never really felt like I was aging until I hit 20. Then every day went faster and faster. I still don't feel old at all but I do feel like I've lived a lot if that makes sense.

I think a lot of it is just perspective. We won't know how it feels to be 30 until we are actually 30, so 20 feels like a lifetime. Because it quite literally is a lifetime. We definitely over exaggerate, but it's fun to do that. It's fun to pretend to be in some inside circle where you can look down on the relative youth.

Maybe fun isn't the word, but I had a point somewhere before I forgot what it was. Maybe this old age is messing with my memory.

Feb 22, 2017 10:53 PM

Dec 2014
I guess it is a trend because people want to be special and unique and distinct from their sucessors(the new/next generations) so they try to squeeze pride from just about anything.

I personally squeeze "pride" over the struggle of dialup internet.... and how the technology was very very different in 2006, NOT that I'm "ONLY 90s KIDS WILL UNDERSTAND" but more like "the pain mate .-., I wish I was born a century later" , that and it was litterally a more "fun" expanding world in my eyes. Even now we're in an age of open digital war as technology hasn't necessarily stabalized and is still growing insanely, but yeah, I'm probably more of the "I WISH I WAS BORN IN A LATER GENERATION" opposed to "only X gen will understand".

To me, being old is accepting and pushing towards the future, not bragging about your past compared to other peoples past and I would say most teenagers are following this "trend"
Is this where you live?

Feb 22, 2017 10:54 PM

Jun 2014
I'm 24 and still don't consider myself old!

I don't know, anything under 30 has always seemed really young to me even at 15. You're as old as you feel, but 65 is when you really become old.
Feb 22, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
3 years is a lot more than it may seem, either way I don't really feel "old" but I for sure feel odd when thinking about things that happened years ago.
Feb 22, 2017 11:06 PM

Jun 2014
This thread really gets you thinking... One day I will be double the age of your average highschool anime character. Heck, triple...

Still gonna fap tho
KagamiFeb 23, 2017 2:25 AM
Feb 23, 2017 1:52 AM

May 2015
They're not exaggerating.

Think about this. Before electricity, before we were so quick to document everything, nothing marked the passage of time.

Now we do. We know when every video was released. This helps us realize it has been a year since we first did X or said Y. The internet and its reliance on dating means we get a clearer picture of where we are on the timeline. It's clearer for us there is a past behind us.

I didn't feel old in high school, but I didn't have an internet archive to point out to me I have a past.

At 22, I do feel old.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 23, 2017 2:04 AM

Mar 2008
I started feeling old by the time I was 13. It's from not having a very fulfilling life.
Feb 23, 2017 3:17 AM

Nov 2014
I feel young. Until I open MAL forum that is.
Feb 23, 2017 3:21 AM

Sep 2009
Realising how old you are and feeling nostalgic about the past is just a part of growing up. Don't worry OP, you'll understand when you're older.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 23, 2017 4:26 AM

Dec 2007
I feel old only when I look at my gray hairs, although it has nothing to do with the age :D otherwise at 25 there is nothing and no one that can make me feel old.

Actually I feel amused when someone 20-21 says "i feel old", like dude seriously, you haven't lived even a quarter century and you feel old? GG
Feb 23, 2017 4:36 AM

Jun 2016
im 26 and dont feel old at all.

could be a couple reasons to that.

1. dont smoke
2. i always take care of my skin and eat healthy, people tell me i still look 17-18.

but if, like most americans, you'd have a diet of hamburgers, beer, and drive a pickup.

Likely scenario is that'd you would be balding and getting that baggy face and look 10 years your ago.
Feb 23, 2017 5:12 AM

Jan 2013
I'm 18 (very soon to be 19) and I feel 30, got white hairs and all. Even though I look like I'm 14 lmao.
I think it's just because we're more aware of time passing nowadays, it makes you feel older.

For me, I just feel older because of stress & other such things.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2017 6:13 AM

Sep 2008
Nope, I ain't ever getting older. Gonna be 20 forever. Even when I'm 60 I'm gonna be doing sports and shit. Gonna look like a beast.
Feb 23, 2017 6:16 AM

Apr 2015
I only consider things old once they're 25 years old.

My earliest memories, once that I KNOW are memories and not fuzzy concepts, come from 2000 during the Bush vs Gore vote counting fiasco. Once it's 2025, then, and only then, will I feel 'old'.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 23, 2017 10:40 AM

Jul 2016
I felt old when I was 7. Then I got over it and will never feel old again. And I won't ruin my voice.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s13RXKKRyu30

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JPLZ2d5osi

These are my voice now.
IpreferEcchiFeb 23, 2017 10:45 AM
Feb 23, 2017 11:33 AM

Feb 2015
Just don't say that to Onee-chan or some Onee-chan in the street because she will slap you. That's rude.

Wait... What the fuck are we talking again?

Oh.. Nevermind... I don't know dude...

I'm not that old, if you compare me to someone who's been dead for 100 years.
Feb 23, 2017 11:40 AM

Dec 2016
Hey OP, if you post 3 more times you'll have 6969 total posts.

I'm probably feeling old because I'm a workaholic.
Feb 23, 2017 3:19 PM

Dec 2016
I'm 36 and I still feel like I'm 20....

If you're feeling old you might not be having enough fun and relaxation. It can also be caused if you're surrounded by older people. As you start feeling like they do after a while.
Feb 23, 2017 3:36 PM

Aug 2011
Just remember, if you lived in a less developed country, say Indonesia, a 50 Year old is a old person, as life expectancy is lower. So myself at 28 and well and truly half way to the grave by their standards :D
^_^
Feb 23, 2017 3:39 PM

Jul 2012
Vosgy said:
Just remember, if you lived in a less developed country, say Indonesia, a 50 Year old is a old person, as life expectancy is lower. So myself at 28 and well and truly half way to the grave by their standards :D

I was focusing on primarily a particular group of people and I would put that in the extreme case group Where your a parent at 13 to your younger siblings and dead by 60. I definitely agree that a 20 some year old in some places are both physically and mentally older than they really are.

AnnoKano said:
Realising how old you are and feeling nostalgic about the past is just a part of growing up. Don't worry OP, you'll understand when you're older.

Ill grow up someday elder person!

Cbr_Star said:
I'm 36 and I still feel like I'm 20....

Well your in the minority in that way of thinking it seems. Most are the reverse of that statement, 20 and feel 36 lol.
MiraniaFeb 23, 2017 3:44 PM
Feb 23, 2017 4:04 PM

Jan 2014
Man I'm turning 22 and I feel old.

Probably because I feel I don't have enough time - going to start a new set of 3 years at uni... then I need another 2 years of graduate studies...

Seeing that there are few others around my age also feeling old makes me feel better about my self though haha
Feb 23, 2017 7:01 PM

Sep 2007
I plan to retire at 30, assuming my parents can still support me then.

Feb 24, 2017 1:53 AM

May 2015
Marrone said:
I'm 19. I feel like I'm getting old mentally but physically I'm doing pretty good. I have a youngish - youthful face, but I don't know how long I can maintain this look. Once my hairline starts receding, that's when I'll know my life is truly coming to an end.

I had a very interesting and fun upbringing as a kid. My teenage years have seen more downs than ups and I wish they were better tbh. It was mainly due to moving countries which I found really hard to adapt to.

I am planning on making the most out of my early 20s while I'm still at university. I'll say this though. If you start ageing physically it will affect you mentally as well. Look after yourself. Keep your metabolism up to prevent hair loss and wrinkles in your mid-20s.

How do you keep your metabolism up and prevent the physical ageing?
Feb 24, 2017 8:00 AM

Jul 2015
They know they'll probably have to work like slaves for the minimum wage the next 50 years. I bet they feel old.

@Marrone I'm feeling 10 years older just thinking about all that stuff lol.
Feb 24, 2017 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
Marrone said:
My eyelashes grew longer, my skin is clearer, my hair is more silky. I don't feel tired anymore like I used to.
infomercial much?

@fuck30chrlimitmal
Feb 24, 2017 10:00 AM

Aug 2015
I may not feel that old, but I certainly don't feel young, either.

TheBrainintheJar said:

Think about this. Before electricity, before we were so quick to document everything, nothing marked the passage of time.

Now we do. We know when every video was released. This helps us realize it has been a year since we first did X or said Y. The internet and its reliance on dating means we get a clearer picture of where we are on the timeline. It's clearer for us there is a past behind us.

I didn't feel old in high school, but I didn't have an internet archive to point out to me I have a past.

At 22, I do feel old.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, I watch an older Youtube video or anime, or play an older video game, and I think "Has that Youtube video/anime/video game really been around for X years?".
...And on the pedestal, these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings; Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains...
Feb 24, 2017 10:07 AM

Feb 2010
if you still watchin cartoons and playin pokemon games yea you feel old
Feb 24, 2017 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
well, i'm twenty and i feel old, but that's mainly attributed to the personal responsibility weighing heavily on my shoulders
Feb 24, 2017 5:39 PM

Jun 2014
Technology changes faster now than ever, so we see bigger generation gaps these days.

It seems weird that there are people 10 years younger than me that have never used VHS tapes, or went to the store to buy music, because there was no such thing as "Downloading music for free" when I was a kid.

Feb 24, 2017 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
well maybe people have always felt like that but there were no platforms to share that. Or could you look at it like all the stuff that the people you mentioned grew up with that previous generations didnt causing nostalgia. im 22 but ive felt old since 16.
Feb 24, 2017 6:09 PM

Nov 2016
Time fly faster than expected and we come to some awareness that our lifespan is wider. Things I did in highschool re very recent in my memory but whoops that was actually 5-10 years ago already! In 2010 I was a bit baffled that 10 years ago wasn't in the nineties, and now we are closing in to 2020. I'll get used to it I hope.
Feb 24, 2017 6:27 PM

Jul 2012
S1N0N said:
I'm 19 and I feel old.
TheBrainintheJar said:
At 22, I do feel old.

Marrone said:
I'm 19. I feel like I'm getting old mentally

Blaffie said:
I'm 18 (very soon to be 19) and I feel 30

Evil_Chopper said:
Man I'm turning 22 and I feel old.
CuriousRobby9 said:
im 22 but ive felt old since 16.

Fascinating Very Fascinating

Feb 24, 2017 7:31 PM
Feb 2014
I feel like I'm in my late 20s and I'm only 22, still a kid at heart.
Feb 24, 2017 8:31 PM

Oct 2012
I cant speak for everyone, but perhaps its a generational thing. This generation has probably had to deal with more shit than any other generation in quite some time. The technological revolution has pretty much changed how we as humans interact with each other, completely changed how politics and economics have worked. I guess the point i'm trying to make, more has changed in the last 20 years, than the preceding 60 years before it. Its no wonder people might have that kind of mindset trying to keep up with everything.
FontSize72LOLFeb 24, 2017 8:34 PM
Feb 24, 2017 8:48 PM
Jul 2015
With how fast things use to go go right now in general is not that strange. Nowadays you blink and you are already outdated.

The cicles were things can still be considered new or up to date got incredibly reduced with the pass of the years. Just look at technology. That's maybe why some people feel like things that didn't happen that much ago happened a lot ago.

Heck, maybe I'm getting old, writting all this stuff :v

Feb 24, 2017 8:51 PM

Sep 2009
I felt old in my late teens. Naturally, I feel even older now.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 24, 2017 9:27 PM

Nov 2009
The only thing that makes me feel old is that I can no longer get shit-faced drunk a few nights in a row and wake up each day feeling 100% fine.
Feb 25, 2017 12:52 AM

May 2015
Marrone said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

How do you keep your metabolism up and prevent the physical ageing?

Ageing is inevitable and can't be avoided. Some people are genetically predisposed to age faster than others, that's why you see some men at age 30 being completely bald while some 50 year olds have a full head of hair. But you can delay it and slow down the process as it's also affected via the environment.

Hair loss and thinning is the most obvious sign of ageing. It's related to your hormonal profile. You need to keep your body fat as low as possible (ideally 10%, any lower than that and it's too low). That's why you see a lot of obese people with receding hairlines and no hair on their head. Body fat increases DHT, DHT calcifies your hair follicles, making them unable to to grow new hair strands.

To reduce your body fat to 10% :

- go jogging 5 days a week (more if you can). No more than 30 minutes otherwise your testosterone levels will drop. That's why a lot of marathon runners like Mo Farah are skinny as hell whereas sprint runners like Usain Bolt are more muscular. Do light jogs as that will burn more fat than medium intensity jogs.

- don't binge eat or feast. Eat only when you're hungry as that will keep your caloric intake in check. Make sure your meals are nutritious. You should drink milk and orange juice everyday (not supermarket juices, buy oranges and squeeze them yourself since supermarket juices are mixed with other chemicals which can be harmful to your body). Citrus fruits like oranges are responsible for your hormonal profile (DHT etc).

- lifting weights can also help

You'll know when you're at a good body fat percentage if your skin around the abs area, upper legs and face is tight and not loose. So no bloated/chubby cheeks, highly defined abs and tight upper legs.

Don't smoke or drink too much alcohol. Occasional drinks are fine. If you follow this regime you'll notice elevated energy levels within 2 weeks. Improved skin too.

All you need for anti-ageing is low body fat and a good hormonal profile. It did wonders for me I've been doing this for 3 months. My eyelashes grew longer, my skin is clearer, my hair is more silky. I don't feel tired anymore like I used to. If I compare myself to my friends in real life who tend to smoke or are nowhere near as active and eat fast food regularly, I'd say I'm doing better than them at the moment. I used to be the skinniest piece of shit and the unhealthiest out of everyone, now it's the opposite.

There's a lot of information out there on this topic in popular science but most of it is just marketing to sell their latest anti-ageing pill or anti-hair loss shampoo which turn out to be useless.

I'll add one final thing: whenever you have a shower with shampoo apply olive oil to your hair and massage it into your scalp. Make sure it reaches the roots of your hair. Do this before you have a shower. Then after 30 minutes just wash it off with shampoo while you shower. Olive oil was used for centuries by Egyptians and Mediterraneans as a hair conditioner. It stimulates your hair follicles to grow more hair. Most hair conditioners nowadays have olive oil too as an ingredient. Only once or twice a week though, not too many times as shampooing your hair everyday will make your scalp dry. You can apply your own hair conditioner afterwards if you want.

I'm not good on the whole jogging thing. I do some running in high speeds and get bored easily. Still, I keep trying. I work out also on a fairly regular basis, so much that not doing working out is now painful.

TheRedGamer said:
I may not feel that old, but I certainly don't feel young, either.

TheBrainintheJar said:

At 22, I do feel old.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, I watch an older Youtube video or anime, or play an older video game, and I think "Has that Youtube video/anime/video game really been around for X years?".

Soon 13-year-olds will be able to look back to their 10-year-old life. I'm all for that, though. Awareness of time makes you take control of your life.
Feb 25, 2017 9:31 AM

Oct 2010
I started to feel old ever since I turned 20.
I just feel like I'm not ready to be an adult yet. If anything, I feel like a giant child playing dress-up. I just want to go outside to "hunt for bug type Pokemon" and eat "Barbie ice cream" (pink colored sherbet) again. I don't want responsibilities yet. Boo. :(
Feb 26, 2017 6:58 AM

May 2015
Usagi said:
I started to feel old ever since I turned 20.
I just feel like I'm not ready to be an adult yet. If anything, I feel like a giant child playing dress-up. I just want to go outside to "hunt for bug type Pokemon" and eat "Barbie ice cream" (pink colored sherbet) again. I don't want responsibilities yet. Boo. :(

No surprise here. You spent your whole life doing shitty schoolwork, not actual work. Of course you won't feel mature enough.
Feb 26, 2017 7:07 AM

Sep 2007
traed said:
I started feeling old by the time I was 13. It's from not having a very fulfilling life.

I feel like not accomplishing much would make you feel younger, because you still have so much more to do!

Feb 26, 2017 8:22 PM

Mar 2008
Nek0 said:
traed said:

I feel like not accomplishing much would make you feel younger, because you still have so much more to do!

No, it means you have less memories so it feels like time is passing faster and faster and faster.
Feb 26, 2017 10:46 PM

Jun 2008
didnt read all the replies but..

30yo person sees a bunch of young kids being active and feels old. 40yo person sees a bunch of 20s starting out their career and feels old. 50yo recently divorced goes to a new couples wedding and feels old.

it's all relative.

there. mystery solved.
Feb 27, 2017 1:09 AM

Aug 2009
Everyone starts feeling old depending on the context. I felt old in senior year of highschool compared to the younger kids just coming in. I feel old compared to first year uni students now that I'm graduating.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 27, 2017 3:20 AM

May 2015
LoneWolf said:
Everyone starts feeling old depending on the context. I felt old in senior year of highschool compared to the younger kids just coming in. I feel old compared to first year uni students now that I'm graduating.

I wonder if it depends on who you hang with. I seem to hang with a lot of people younger than me, so it makes me feel really old.
Feb 27, 2017 3:47 AM

Aug 2013
I think simple because for the first time you see the time pass, and in 25 years of life we can do so much, so probably is normal when someone think at the past he/she feel himself older, also if he/she is less 30 years old
Feb 27, 2017 12:40 PM

Jul 2014
Seeing anyone clearly younger than me makes me feel old. I'm 27 at the moment and I know I'm not old old yet but I think it's only natural for me to feel old when I talk to someone whose say, 15.

Also life changes contribute to feeling old too, no matter how simple/small it may be. Like when I started paying my own bills. Whenever I think about how my dad used to do all that for me then of course I'll feel more grown up and therefore old. Or when I look at my kid brothers or nephews/nieces and they ask me for help doing their homework and I remember that I used to do that as well then of course I feel old.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 58 minutes ago

3 by Serafos »»
18 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

36 by Mehwish_999 »»
39 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

33 by ryan77999 »»
42 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

307 by AverageRiceFan »»
1 hour ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Yesterday

8 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.