Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 22, 2017 7:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah the beach episode. Even this show has one of course.

Seems Quetzalcoatl has her own way of having fun there lol
Kanna and Toru's race in the ocean was amusing even though it was brief. Toru's attempt to make fireworks by herself was also amusing.

Interesting they did a visit to the Comiket this episode Toru's reaction to the place was priceless haha
Feb 22, 2017 8:07 AM

Apr 2010
Quetzalcoati will probably get arrested for exposure at some point seeing the way she dresses.
And Kanna seems to eat everything that moves.
Touru had much fun this episode as well even going into maid-dragon mode at the event which she enjoyed from the looks of it.
Feb 22, 2017 8:48 AM

Jan 2012
Beach outing, at last! XD Holy fuck Lucoa, those big, beautiful tits! XD She shoulda kept her original swimsuit! Tohru ain't no slouch herself of course. Fairly serious talk about her parents...and an awesome fireworks display. XD Then comiket! Poor Fafnir...and more of Lucoa's big beautiful tits! XD No shock Tohru attracted quite the following. Kanna meanwhile seems willing to eat anything that moves! XD Yet another absolutely fantastic outing. XD

Elma next!!!
animefan8800Feb 22, 2017 9:13 AM
Feb 22, 2017 8:58 AM
Dec 2015
the Weakest episode as of yet. Overusing jokes, which weren't funny the first time, is not gonna make me laugh. even a bit.

After reading the title I was expecting more meta jokes on beach episode concept, but they chose to go classical way.

Update:
Comicon segment was cool, especially Fafnir-san.
Spiegel_sanFeb 22, 2017 9:40 AM
Feb 22, 2017 9:08 AM
Jun 2015
Spiegel_san said:
the Weakest episode as of yet. Overusing jokes, which weren't as funny the first time, is not gonna make me laugh. even a bit.

After reading the title I was expecting more meta jokes on beach episode concept, but they chose to go classical way.

Update:
Comicon segment was cool, especially Fafnir-san.

The whole point of this episode isn't the comedy. Its actually the talk about their parents. This show uses the comedy to hide its depressing themes and it does well in it's serious parts. Thats why In my opinion, this is the strongest episode.
Feb 22, 2017 9:09 AM

Jan 2015
Summer break time. Which means beach part, with another heart-to-heart talk. And then "lucky" Encounter with other world creature at the Comiket. >_<
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 22, 2017 9:15 AM

Sep 2014
Aw man I got a bit teary towards the end there. This show is surprisingly meaningful and emotionally resonant in addition to being cute and pretty. But why does that creepy retarded slut Lucoa have to exist ughh...
NeromonFeb 22, 2017 9:18 AM
Feb 22, 2017 9:25 AM
Dec 2015
uchimaki131 said:

The whole point of this episode isn't the comedy. Its actually the talk about their parents. This show uses the comedy to hide its depressing themes and it does well in it's serious parts. Thats why In my opinion, this is the strongest episode.

If it is their main selling point, should do better work at it.

It's a well-explored concept. The best example of it is Angel Beats they blend humor and drama pretty nicely.

humor is not meant to hide more depressing themes, but to attract us to characters. There is no better way to do it, than through comedy.

Heck, even in previous episodes Kyoani managed to do a better job at it. But this time It came out of nowhere. So for me, all the impact scene like that should carry was lost.

p.s I like to discuss anime, if you checked my profile, you're probably aware it. not trying to hate on the show.
Spiegel_sanFeb 22, 2017 9:29 AM
Feb 22, 2017 9:26 AM

Jan 2010
I wish I had Tohru's bikini! It's so cute. If I could sew, I would definitely make one for myself. I really loved how Kanna eats just about anything. Especially with her encounter with the crab. And when she and Tohru race through the ocean? Amazing. And why buy fireworks when you can have it for free via Tohru's breath of flames ahaha. I also thought the convention bit was also pretty hilarious.

Moreover, there was a lot of sweet moments between Tohru and Kobayashi. Honestly, their relationship is pretty heartwarming.
Yeah, Tohru throws in sexual innuendos sometimes but you can tell she cares a lot and takes time to learn more about those who interest her.
She listens very well and thinks highly of Kobayashi even if Kobayashi is very reserved (and pretty ordinary). It's sweet, really.

[Edit: although hunting for prey can be brutal, they make it look so cute]
cottonpieFeb 22, 2017 9:50 AM
Feb 22, 2017 9:38 AM

Oct 2010
Is putting extra fanservice in episode 7 a common practice, or was it coincidental? I ask because of the infamous episode 7s in both seasons of Strike Witches.

By the way, loved the Strike Witches parody:

Spiegel_san said:
Overusing jokes, which weren't as funny the first time

If they weren't as funny the first time, that means they were funnier the second time.

I know you didn't mean that, but that's what you wrote.
Feb 22, 2017 10:03 AM

Jun 2015
It's amusing seeing Kanna eating everything that moves. Her race against Toru was epic. Quetzalcoatl getting dragged away twice because of her outfit was funny. Kobayashi and Toru had a nice talk about family. Her fireworks were amazing. Toru was impressed with Comiket. Fafnir didn't have much success.
Feb 22, 2017 10:09 AM

Apr 2016
great beach episode. looks like we're finally gonna see the other dragon next week
Feb 22, 2017 10:12 AM

Jan 2015
This picture made me think

Doesn't Kobayashi looks kinda sad and Tooru is consoling her? I wonder if something happened offscreen and if the show will get to it.
Also I like how self-aware is the show in the title :D
Feb 22, 2017 10:20 AM

Mar 2013
Beach episode or rather fan service. I will admit the comedy was a little light (would have wanted a little more) but hey I got to see what I wanted so I'm not complaining. again Shouta you lucky bastard what I wouldn't do to be in your shoes.
Feb 22, 2017 10:36 AM

Nov 2008
Spiegel_san said:
uchimaki131 said:

It's a well-explored concept. The best example of it is Angel Beats they blend humor and drama pretty nicely.

humor is not meant to hide more depressing themes, but to attract us to characters. There is no better way to do it, than through comedy.

Heck, even in previous episodes Kyoani managed to do a better job at it. But this time It came out of nowhere. So for me, all the impact scene like that should carry was lost.

p.s I like to discuss anime, if you checked my profile, you're probably aware it. not trying to hate on the show.

Well than you would of course understand when people disagree about angel beats being anything close to what you said - of course people will 10/10 because KeY but uh to me Angel beats suffered from plot identity issues ; had horrible humor and to much forced drama trying to tug dem tears. - I am also not hating on the show; but it tried to be a jack of to many trades. And heck it had a needlessly large cast the bulk which play no role at all with no back ground.

Where as I feel in my opinion Kobayashi san isn't really forcing the drama etc yada
Feb 22, 2017 10:40 AM

Oct 2008
Let's take comiket and turn it into a metaphor for love, tolerance and acceptance. That's one of the most fucking brilliant treatments of comiket I've ever seen. This show can do no wrong.

The beach part was great too. Aside from playing around with the tropes, we had an exceedingly poignant conversation that served to deepen Tohru and Kobayashi's mutual understanding of each other. I absolutely loved the fact that Kobayahshi wanted to take a ride on Tohru (something that she hated doing at first).
Feb 22, 2017 10:42 AM

Jul 2009
no kanna !
you cant eat all living things!
bruh
Feb 22, 2017 10:42 AM

Jan 2016
The beach part was very typical, it was advised with the title that there would be some fanservice xD

The Comiket part was the best, we got to know there are more races besides dragons from the other world and we had a slight reference to both Kobayashi's and Tohru's family :P
THANKS SENPIEX
Feb 22, 2017 10:52 AM

Oct 2008
Now I know how I'd like my watermelon served... aerosolized.
Feb 22, 2017 11:13 AM
Dec 2015
sirwence said:

Well than you would of course understand when people disagree about angel beats being anything close to what you said - of course people will 10/10 because KeY but uh to me Angel beats suffered from plot identity issues ; had horrible humor and to much forced drama trying to tug dem tears. - I am also not hating on the show; but it tried to be a jack of to many trades. And heck it had a needlessly large cast the bulk which play no role at all with no back ground.

Where as I feel in my opinion Kobayashi san isn't really forcing the drama etc yada

My complaint wasn't them forcing drama and I even agree that in Kobayashi it's way more subtle.

In this episode, they did it clumsily. I think they chose a wrong moment when to go from lighthearted moe stuff to seriousness topic. Talk about ice-cream vendor wasn't that big of an anchor to evoke those big emotional flashbacks.

It sounds like a nitpick, but I feel like scenes like that should give more impact, which wasn't a case for me.

p.s I will not go on a rant about angel beats, cause I watched it like 2 years ago and it would be an off-topic in here.
Spiegel_sanFeb 22, 2017 11:23 AM
Feb 22, 2017 11:13 AM

Dec 2014
well there is a definately a harsh reality between dragons and humans somewhere
Feb 22, 2017 11:15 AM
Oct 2014
This episode was so cute.
Feb 22, 2017 11:34 AM

Sep 2016
Already making peace with the fact that this will probably be a one season gem. SAD!
Feb 22, 2017 11:35 AM

Jul 2010
Spiegel_san said:
uchimaki131 said:

It didn't come out of nowhere though, it's clearly been built up and when Kobayashi were fishing on Tooru that was the perfect calm moment to talk about what differences they have and point of view.
Feb 22, 2017 11:46 AM

Mar 2015
When the episode with the subtitle "the Fanservice-Episode" is actually the most touching of them all. I'm very pleasantly surprised, especially after the last episode left me a little bit uneasy with the whole yuri and shota stuff.
Feb 22, 2017 11:48 AM

Jan 2015
One of the episodes I've enjoyed the most.
There wasn't fan service at all IMO

Some cut and sad moments. Love this anime
Feb 22, 2017 11:53 AM

May 2010
kei78 said:
no kanna !
you cant eat all living things!

Aversa said:
Kanna seems to eat everything that moves.

loved her eating the bug she tried to catch tho, caught me off guard.
AapjuhFeb 22, 2017 11:59 AM
Feb 22, 2017 12:01 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I have to agree that this is the weakest episode so far. I'm enjoying this more when Kanna and Fafnir are the focus.

The fireworks scene was the best of the episode.

And everytime Kanna was eating animals xD
Feb 22, 2017 12:04 PM
Jan 2017
Spiegel_san said:

My complaint wasn't them forcing drama and I even agree that in Kobayashi it's way more subtle.

In this episode, they did it clumsily. I think they chose a wrong moment when to go from lighthearted moe stuff to seriousness topic. Talk about ice-cream vendor wasn't that big of an anchor to evoke those big emotional flashbacks.

It sounds like a nitpick, but I feel like scenes like that should give more impact, which wasn't a case for me.

p.s I will not go on a rant about angel beats, cause I watched it like 2 years ago and it would be an off-topic in here.

To me, that lack of impact is exactly what sold that moment and made it believable. It's often the most subtle things that carry the most impact. A toy you haven't seen in years, a turn of phrase you overhear in a conversation, the taste of a piece of candy. On their own these are small and insignificant things, but they can also be the strongest triggers to bring back years or even decades of forgotten memories and emotions. For me, a simple vendor was a perfectly believable way to lead into a more serious conversation about family.
Rook81Feb 22, 2017 12:09 PM
Feb 22, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 2015
Curse anthology xDDDD

Also, good to know that next episode we'll get to see the other dragon
Feb 22, 2017 12:14 PM
Dec 2015
Rook81 said:

To me, that lack of impact is exactly what sold that moment and made it believable.

Maybe it was meant like that, but the imagery didn't give that sense. I'm referring to shot's of her parent's fangs and stuff. Those were meant to be powerful shots.

Them fishing was nice and heartwarming, though.
Feb 22, 2017 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Yup, I'm pretty sure this episode made some people quite hot & bothered...
Not me, of course...
Feb 22, 2017 12:34 PM
Jan 2013
Japan is weird. Kids watch shows like dragon ball, which are full of pervy jokes yet, they find Luco swimsuit too slutty, though its not that strong
Feb 22, 2017 12:49 PM

Sep 2016
Kanna eating bug LMAO
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 22, 2017 12:50 PM
Jun 2014
rikuhod said:
Japan is weird. Kids watch shows like dragon ball, which are full of pervy jokes yet, they find Luco swimsuit too slutty, though its not that strong

It's all about how it's been labeled by society.

Ever read some grimm fairy tales books for children? I remember a rumplestilskin one where the villain gets his foot stuck in a crack. He tries to get himself out by pulling on his other free leg and rips himself in half in the process. Mortal Kombat fatality in a children's book!?!?? Acceptable, because it's been labeled so by society.

How about the greek myths taught to us in middle school and all the incest and beastiality they contain? My middle school had us read Lysistrata once. Familiar with this one? It's an ancient greek play with more boner and sex jokes than, like, everything.

So Dragon Ball gets the pass cause it's dragon ball, and it's supposed to be that one anime kids watch. The label convinces people to gloss over all the things about it that seem weird if you take a step back and look at it from an objective point of view.
NewprimusFeb 22, 2017 12:53 PM
Feb 22, 2017 12:50 PM

Jul 2015
Really solid episode, lacking on the humour side but had great character development for Tooru.

I'm also glad they explained why her tail was in some scenes but not others.
Feb 22, 2017 12:58 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
THIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCC

i knew i was saving my load for this episode ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 22, 2017 1:01 PM
Jan 2017
Spiegel_san said:
Rook81 said:

To me, that lack of impact is exactly what sold that moment and made it believable.

Maybe it was meant like that, but the imagery didn't give that sense. I'm referring to shot's of her parent's fangs and stuff. Those were meant to be powerful shots.

Them fishing was nice and heartwarming, though.

Ah, that. Without hitting spoilers, all I can say is that there's a reason all we got was an abstract set of teeth and some voice over. It's meant to be more of a nagging reminder of something Thooru may have to deal with eventually than really impactful.

Also, my apologies. I fat-thumbed the reply button before I meant to. I have since gone back and edited in a more complete post than the one you quoted.
Feb 22, 2017 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
This series will probably end up as being one of my favorites.
I can't say in words how much I'm enjoying it. Pure awesomeness.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 22, 2017 1:52 PM

Nov 2015
I didn't expect a beach episode in this show, but it happened.

Feb 22, 2017 1:53 PM
Jul 2016
Get on making those GIFs now people :3! This episode is a goldmine for that!
I was surprised that I didn't dislike Lucoa here.
Feb 22, 2017 2:09 PM

May 2015
Loved the title of this episode, lol

Sidenote: Kobayashi and Kanna have such cute bodies; it's so refreshing to see a more diverse range of bodies. I'm getting quite tired of the "every character has the exact same body type" and "eat all you want and sit on your butt all day whilst still maintaining a size that's less than 0" cliches you often see in anime.
Their 'lil chub is so cute ^^
Feb 22, 2017 2:14 PM

Feb 2014
Kanna just decided to eat that poor bug instead of catching it. That made me laugh non-stop for a minute there! XD

Even though this was he self-proclaimed fanservice episode, and boy did it have plenty of that, but it also had plenty of powerful subtle moments as well.

Tohru had some excellent development in both beach and comiket scenes. Speaking about her parents along with Kobayashi was really heartwarming, as was the talk about her letting herself loose and using her real form a bit more openly.

Tohru might be considered an odd one back in her world, but for us viewers, she has that common sense that not only makes it easier for us to enjoy her company, but for her to get along with us humans too. The same goes for the other monsters using their real selves as 'cosplay' at the comiket. =)

This is another reason why this show is my favourite this season. The delivery of the jokes is great and all, but the subtle messages and character development fully cement the shows credibility and makes it more memorable and enjoyable. =D
Feb 22, 2017 2:46 PM

Jan 2017
The short clips really add enjoyment to the show. I think everyone deserves a friend like Tohru.
Feb 22, 2017 3:04 PM
Dec 2016
I didn't expect Kobayashi-san to be flat-chested. Not that that's a bad thing.
Also where were their tails in the beach scene?
Feb 22, 2017 3:09 PM
Jun 2016
Elma is incoming :DD
Feb 22, 2017 3:17 PM

Jan 2013
Classic beach episode xD
At least there was someone to control Lucoa's clothes xD
Fafnir trying to do some business hahahahah
Tooru was so cute with those wings & maid outfit, it really reminded me of an anime where the main girl is a Dragon Maid ;)
Please give some food to Kanna xD She is eating everything hahahahaha
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 22, 2017 3:34 PM
Feb 2017
KANNA'S THIGHS DON'T LIE
Feb 22, 2017 3:38 PM

Jun 2016
Solid episode, also mandatory beach scene.
Feb 22, 2017 3:42 PM

Jun 2016
Once again great episode, pretty amazing how this show can so smoothly change it's tone from shouta fanservice to talking about deep stuff.

Also if I won't see Kobayashi x Tohru at the end atleast strongly hinted, I will riot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2017

189 by MoonlightVT »»
Apr 12, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2017

315 by _untitled »»
Apr 7, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2017

131 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2017

113 by _untitled »»
Apr 1, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2017

169 by _untitled »»
Mar 31, 7:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.