Forum Settings
Forums

Add the "Hide Recommendations" Button to the Recommended page?

Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Poll: Include the option to hide the 20 recommendations on top of the Recommended page?

Feb 22, 5:18 AM

It has been suggested multiple times to include a small button on the top of the Recommendations section on the graph, that would show/hide the 20 recommendations on top of the page. I'm making this poll to see the opinion of the club members, and please bear in mind that it may still be rejected by Deividas, regardless of the result.

Feb 22, 5:22 AM

Yeah, that would be great.
It would make the page load faster.

Feb 22, 5:30 AM

Yeah, they only get in the way, and are mostly nonsense anyway.

Feb 22, 10:10 AM

Get rid of the recommendation section; it's useless!

Death is the road to awe.

Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Puchkov said:
Get rid of the recommendation section; it's useless!
It isn't completely worthless, but I think I visit the section more than I should considering how little use it actually has. It would be more useful if they didn't weight PTW scores over completed scores (anyone with a mean below 6.9 has more weight of their "taste" coming from their ptw rather than the anime they've actually seen). People recommend anime more accurately than bots, though.

Feb 25, 4:37 AM

Half_Bl00d said:
It has been suggested multiple times to include a small button on the top of the Recommendations section on the graph, that would show/hide the 20 recommendations on top of the page

I'd like exactly the inverse to be implemented : to be able to see those recommendations (which I'm often mildly curious about) without having to load the hundreds of useless "you may have missed" junk that make the page sucker-punch my browser.

("You may have missed" comes from a decent idea, but is made worthless by the inclusion of series related only to the hundreds of shows I've dropped - and thus have no interest whatsoever in. Filtering those out would go some way towards fixing the overload issue, but I'll take just a separation of the two sets of recommendations as a stopgag measure.)

Feb 25, 4:53 AM

@Jhiday: What slows the browser is those 20 on the top, not the Missed section below. Second, when you open the page, you get the recommendations first, so hiding what is below them contributes nothing to their visibility, thus your suggestion makes no sense. Third, Missed section is among the most useful things on the whole graph, and will absolutely not be removed by any means. Filtering the dropped ones was suggested before and will be looked into in the future, but that's just your problem for dropping a ton of things.

Feb 25, 5:22 AM

Half_Bl00d said:
@Jhiday: What slows the browser is those 20 on the top, not the Missed section below.

I'll take your word for it, but that really doesn't match my experience. Whenever I go onto that tab, the browser-inducing slowness happens after I can already see the 20 on top, but while the rest of the page is still loading. Maybe the page's scripts do some strange voodoo after displaying all the relevant info from those 20, but I can't imagine what that would be or why.

Anyway, I never suggested removing the "missed" section altogether ; just putting it on a different page would be plenty enough. Those two sets of recommendations have different purposes and audiences, after all, and this would help out everyone who just wants to see one without the other.

(And seriously, there's nothing abnormal with a 20%-ish drop rate. Especially as properly tagging series I've sampled and found wanting is often the only way to get recommendations - machine or human - that make any degree of sense.)

Feb 25, 5:30 AM

@Jhiday: in my opinion, dropping anything is abnormal. And well, if you have lots of hundreds in the missing section of course it would slow you. I don't know about putting it in a different section, since logically it falls under Recommendations, but I'll archive that suggestion for further discussion.

Apr 28, 5:15 AM

i find the top recommendations useless
i do find "you may have missed" useful, but there is no way to filter it. Like only show what i missed from shows i rated above 7
currently the script lags and half blood is already aware of it so we should work on a fix