Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 21, 2017 3:35 PM

Nov 2012
So I have a gaming PC that I built last April so about 1 year ago, that has pretty much all new and recent parts that I bought at the time of building and a GTX 950 GPU. I have a shitty solution for a monitor though I'm currently plugged up to an old 32'' Vizio 720P TV that I got as a gift 6 years ago.

Thing is I sold almost all my Console stuff to switch to PC gaming. Now I'm starting to miss the games that I cannot play on PC like FFXV, Nioh, Uncharted games, and especially upcoming games like Persona 5, Nier Automata , and Red Dead Redemption II. I'm also a huge Football (the USA kind) fan and for whatever reason you can only play Madden on consoles. Not that I love Madden (2k5 was still much better but thats a whole story on its own) but its always been entertaining to me.

I've mostly been a RPG and JRPG fan and a sony fanboy for most of my life but I guess I got to the point last year where I felt like there just wasn't enough incentive in terms of exclusive games to keep my Ps4 and not switch to a gaming pc instead.

I'm not really a graphics or FPS stickler I just like the upgradability and huge catalog of PC games I can play, and having just one system that I don't have to worry about one console or the other just becoming a paperweight because I almost never used it (like previously my WiiU and Ps4) . I guess now that the Ps4's library of games is finally beginning to pick up steam in its 3rd year of its console cycle it has a much stronger arguement . I'm not planning on picking up a switch or WiiU again nintendo consoles always become paperweights for me sadly the only thing I ever played on my WiiU was smash bros.

Alright to get to the point I will have about $800 USD saved up by March 1st but haven't decided which route to go. Should I get a better GPU+monitor and stick to PC gaming (If so which GPU monitor combo best?) or should i get a Ps4 Pro and some games instead? If I get the Ps4 Pro Im not getting rid of my PC of course, just won't be upgrading it for the time being.

midnightbladeFeb 21, 2017 3:45 PM
Feb 21, 2017 3:42 PM

Nov 2008
Nier Automata is coming to PC.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if RDR2 came to PC. People doubted GTA V was coming to PC, after all the months without any information. If Rockstar is planning to port RDR2, like they've ported almost all their other games, they won't tell you, because they want you to buy it twice.

The FFXV director wants to make a PC port. Most of the Final Fantasy games are on PC.
EzekielFeb 21, 2017 4:17 PM

Feb 21, 2017 3:43 PM

Sep 2016
It REALLY sounds like you're pining for the PS roster of games...in that case, it seems you've already answered your question. Titles is one of those things that really boils down to preference, if the games you want to play are on a certain platform, then there's your answer.

If you DID decide to go the PC route, get yourself a GTX1070 (don't waste your time on an AMD chipset) and a decent monitor. I wouldn't drink too much of the "gaming monitor" kool-ade, a lot of what you are paying for is the FreeSync and G-Sync options on the monitors, along with some higher refresh rates that you may or may not see a difference in. With a good card like a GTX1070, just use frame limiting if you are worried about screen tearing. If you are getting stuttering, adjust your graphics options accordingly...the 1070 is a good card though, it should handle most games with grace.

To reiterate though, if you have your heart set on the PS (sounds like you are), I'd go with that. Either way, happy gaming.
Feb 21, 2017 4:06 PM

Sep 2014
If you want to be an RPG/JRPG kind of gamer, there is no doubt Playstation is the best one to buy right now. There have been a lot of ports of JRPGs recently to PC, but there is still a massive catalog of JRPGs untouched on PS Store, but nothing actually note worthy, and even with the ports, they haven' ported even a good slice of the PS store JRPGs (that's including PS3, PS Vita, and PS4) and even if they port it to the PC, you'll have to wait at least a year for it to port. If you want instant gratification with a bigger/better gaming library to your taste, get a PS4. If you want a good investment, and won't mind to play games a little bit later, get the PC upgrade.
Feb 21, 2017 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
lol

Upgrade it for what?

There's no worthwhile PC exclusives coming out in the future.

And it doesn't take much to match the PS4's power
Feb 21, 2017 4:34 PM

Nov 2012
I mean I haven't checked the stats , but I'm guessing a modern PC + GTX 950 outfperforms Ps4 by a good bit. But like I said in my post, I'm not really super focused on power and fps unless I can literally see the stuttering or tearing on my screen. Otherwise its more about the game library for me anyway.

What option would you pick of the ones that I put on the poll Caim?
Feb 21, 2017 5:08 PM

Jan 2015
Ok, so you're in the same boat I'm in. I love RPGs and JRPGs, and there are some on PS4 that interested me. So here you go:

Throw the idea of a PS4 pro out of the window. The whole point of its existence is to try and stem the alarming number of people from switching to PC from PS4. By buying it, you'd burn yourself much more since you are only buying it for exclusives anyway.

Here's what i'd do: if you are reaaally looking forward to exclusives, then you can grab a used ps4 off ebay for ~200$. Grab a decent 1080p monitor off amazon or something for 100$ (something like Asus's 24 inch). Now you have 500$ left for games OR a new GPU.

If you really want that upgrade, you can grab a 1070 for about 400$, then have 100$ left for games, or you can save up a little more and grab a 1080 if you reaaally want to.

I'd personally get a used PS4 (200$), get a new monitor (100$), grab a 1070 (400$), then spend the remaining on whatever game I wanted the most. A 1070 slays 1080p max settings, so you'd be good for a while.

Another option would be to get a 1060 instead and opt-in for a little nicer monitor, but its all your choice.
UAC_DeltaCompanyFeb 21, 2017 5:14 PM
the40ftbadger said:
i have palpable amounts of salt for FO4.
It's like a clown put on my dead dad's clothes and is running around my house going "LOOK I'M YOUR DAD, ISN'T THIS FUN?!?!"

Feb 21, 2017 5:19 PM

Jan 2013
midnightblade said:
I mean I haven't checked the stats , but I'm guessing a modern PC + GTX 950 outfperforms Ps4 by a good bit. But like I said in my post, I'm not really super focused on power and fps unless I can literally see the stuttering or tearing on my screen. Otherwise its more about the game library for me anyway.

If all you care about is a library, than a console without question. You don't have to wait a year or two for ports of already released games and every Sony exclusive releasing before, now, and in the future have been really good so far.

If power, resolution, and multiplayer games are your preference, then stick to PC.

The Pro is an expensive but healthy balance between the two as some pro-supported games allow you to play at a stable framerate (60 fps) and standard resolution (1080p) without sacrificing one or the other.
Feb 21, 2017 6:56 PM

Jun 2015
PeenusWeenusCaim said:
midnightblade said:

If all you care about is a library, than a console without question. You don't have to wait a year or two for ports of already released games and every Sony exclusive releasing before, now, and in the future have been really good so far.

If power, resolution, and multiplayer games are your preference, then stick to PC.

The Pro is an expensive but healthy balance between the two as some pro-supported games allow you to play at a stable framerate (60 fps) and standard resolution (1080p) without sacrificing one or the other.

This. With the PS4 pro, you can have a worthwhile library AND make videos about how you hate when games dip below 60fps. You can also somewhat brag about how much you spent on your rig. Can't post sick specs tho...
Feb 21, 2017 7:54 PM

Jun 2014
TyrantRaveOmega said:
PeenusWeenusCaim said:

This. With the PS4 pro, you can have a worthwhile library AND make videos about how you hate when games dip below 60fps. You can also somewhat brag about how much you spent on your rig. Can't post sick specs tho...

Who cares about specs? It's the games that matter.

Feb 21, 2017 8:30 PM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
TyrantRaveOmega said:

But...but how will people know I'm hardcore if I don't constantly whine about how bad console specs are???
Feb 21, 2017 8:33 PM

Jun 2014
TyrantRaveOmega said:
Seiya said:

But...but how will people know I'm hardcore if I don't constantly whine about how bad console specs are???

What if I told you, that nobody cares how "Hardcore" someone else is?

Feb 21, 2017 9:01 PM

Jun 2015
Seiya said:
TyrantRaveOmega said:

If only you could get the majority of PC gamers to understand that...
Feb 21, 2017 9:08 PM

Nov 2016
Been there, done that.
I put a decent amount of money into my PC gaming setup. Wanna know what I ended up playing on it? MMOs, indie games and older titles. It's nice having all that power but I rarely make use of it.

The games I tend to be the most interested in end up on consoles. They're more expensive but I get the opportunity to own the physical disc.
Feb 21, 2017 9:12 PM

Jun 2014
TyrantRaveOmega said:
Seiya said:

If only you could get the majority of PC gamers to understand that...

I know what you mean. People I know that became "PC gamers" develop a certain supremacist mindset. A friend and I were playing a PS2 game the other day, and all of a sudden he pointed out "Look at that anti-aliasing!"

I thought to myself, "Shut up and play the fucking game. You were enjoying it prior to noticing that."

Feb 21, 2017 9:18 PM

Nov 2012
Well for the point of this thread, I'll reiterate and say that I'm not a FPS or resolution freak. The main point of me switching to PC gaming was just the simplicity of having one platform , not having multiple platforms to account for backwards compatibility and different game libraries.

Its more about story, characters, or in general if its just fun game to play. The only time I care much about specs is when I can actually see screen tearing or something that's literally interfering with my ability to play the game.
Feb 21, 2017 9:50 PM

Nov 2011
a gtx 1060 6gb will probably be more than enough for you, and those are like $250 or so.
since you don't play fps, you probably won't need an overkill monitor, either. a simple $150 - $200 full hd monitor will likely be more than enough for you. that means $400 - $450 to upgrade, compared to $400 for a PS4 Pro. again, this configuration works if you don't play fps, and thus is not too concerned about response rate.

edit: there's zero reason to get a GTX 1080 if you don't intend on playing graphic-intensive 4K games in the max graphic setting (ultra, extreme, etc). a GTX 1070 is also overkill.

edit 2: on another note, GTX 1060 doesn't support SLI, so if that's a concern then maybe a GTX 1070 is a better choice, in case you choose to upgrade again in the future. this is of course, if your motherboard supports SLI.
DreamingBeatsFeb 21, 2017 9:54 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Feb 22, 2017 3:17 AM

Sep 2009
Consider upgrading your GPU only when you notice performance issues. I have GTX 660 for a few years already, and it still works just fine for me (but well, I don't play too many brand new games, because most of them are worthless crap with fancy graphics and nothing else :P). If you do have performance issues, consider getting GTX 1060 or 1070. It might be a bit of an overkill, but with one of those you probably won't have to think about GPU upgrades for several years. However, if you want to save some money right now, don't hesitate to get a cheaper GPU (just stick to Nvidia) - it should be perfectly sufficient, but might require an upgrade in a few years. But again - only upgrade if you feel it's really necessary.

When it comes to monitors, a decent, full HD one will be good enough, you don't need any overpriced, "gaming" stuff (my monitor has 5ms response rate, and even slightly worse one shouldn't cause any problems, unless you're a pro e-sports gamer or something).

As for toaster exclusives - I'd recommend waiting a little. It's possible that the titles you mentioned will be ported to the superior platform sooner or later.
However, if somewhere in the pathetically microscopic console games library there are some exclusive titles you're particularly fond of, there's no reason to stick only to the PC. If you choose the monitor and GPU upgrade wisely, you should have some spare money for a second-hand toaster and maybe even one or two of those ridiculously overpriced console games. :P
Feb 22, 2017 3:59 AM

Jan 2013
midnightblade said:
Well for the point of this thread, I'll reiterate and say that I'm not a FPS or resolution freak. The main point of me switching to PC gaming was just the simplicity of having one platform , not having multiple platforms to account for backwards compatibility and different game libraries.

Its more about story, characters, or in general if its just fun game to play. The only time I care much about specs is when I can actually see screen tearing or something that's literally interfering with my ability to play the game.

Get this for the PS4 then. You won't regret it.

Pabloc said:
Consider upgrading your GPU only when you notice performance issues. I have GTX 660 for a few years already, and it still works just fine for me (but well, I don't play too many brand new games, because most of them are worthless crap with fancy graphics and nothing else :P). If you do have performance issues, consider getting GTX 1060 or 1070. It might be a bit of an overkill, but with one of those you probably won't have to think about GPU upgrades for several years. However, if you want to save some money right now, don't hesitate to get a cheaper GPU (just stick to Nvidia) - it should be perfectly sufficient, but might require an upgrade in a few years. But again - only upgrade if you feel it's really necessary.

When it comes to monitors, a decent, full HD one will be good enough, you don't need any overpriced, "gaming" stuff (my monitor has 5ms response rate, and even slightly worse one shouldn't cause any problems, unless you're a pro e-sports gamer or something).

As for toaster exclusives - I'd recommend waiting a little. It's possible that the titles you mentioned will be ported to the superior platform sooner or later.
However, if somewhere in the pathetically microscopic console games library there are some exclusive titles you're particularly fond of, there's no reason to stick only to the PC. If you choose the monitor and GPU upgrade wisely, you should have some spare money for a second-hand toaster and maybe even one or two of those ridiculously overpriced console games. :P
Don't fall for this trap. It's part of the mustard pyramid scheme. He'll downplay consoles, call their respective library small and then tell you to upgrade your PC without giving a reason for why you should even bother upgrading in the first place. I've seen this kind of shitpost way too often to count.

There are barely any worthwhile PC exclusives, and those few worthwhile PC exclusives rarely ever need cutting edge technology to run since smart devs who make competent games know that the best way to make money is through quality and accessibility for all ranges of specs. You upgrading your PC to top of the line stuff is a waste of money, it's simply overkill. No developer actually designs games for high-end PCs because high end PC gamers make up a small minority of gamers, and not just gamers in general but PC gamers as well.

In the end, it's all about the games. So that means you can either get a console and conveniently play multiplatforms AND exclusives... or you can upgrade your PC, spend a year or two playing indie shovelware until a desired console game eventually gets ported to PC, and then brag about how you're playing an already solved game with slightly better textures.
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 22, 2017 4:02 AM
Feb 22, 2017 5:15 AM

Sep 2009
@PeenusWeenusCaim
If you were capable of comprehending text written in simple English, you probably would have noticed that my advice was to precisely to refrain form upgrading anything, unless it's really necessary. I even repeated it twice. Because yeah, you don't need a top-notch, overpriced, brand new PC to play new games.
Unlike with toasters, where if you want to keep playing new games, you absolutely have to get the entire new console every time corporate overlords feel like milking some cash and release a slightly updated system (called "next gen" or whatever). XD

And there are barely any "worthwhile PC exclusives"? When each console barely has any games at all (in comparison to the gigantic PC library)? Well, maybe if you only count the newest games from those 3 or so game genres that actually exist on toasters... XD But even then it's a huge "maybe", because consoles don't have any interesting indie games that sometimes are actually worth playing, unlike the majority of uncreative AAA titles.
But yeah, it's all about games in the end - that's why I also recommended buying a cheap, second-hand toaster. But, I guess that part went straight over your head as well. :P
Feb 22, 2017 5:42 AM

Jan 2015
Can we please not turn this into a shitty "Consoles vs PC" thread? OP needs advice.

Like I said, 800$ is a lot of room to play with. If you are only buying a PS4 for the few games you mentioned, you'd get a lot more mileage by buying one second-hand, then issuing out the rest of your money on a modest upgrade and monitor.

Stack for Stack, PC has entire exclusive genres compared to consoles' 500 or so games. Grab a PS4 for all your JRPG or RPG needs, then put all the money back into your computer as a more centralized platform.
the40ftbadger said:
i have palpable amounts of salt for FO4.
It's like a clown put on my dead dad's clothes and is running around my house going "LOOK I'M YOUR DAD, ISN'T THIS FUN?!?!"

Feb 22, 2017 6:25 AM

Jan 2013
Pabloc said:
@PeenusWeenusCaim
If you were capable of comprehending text written in simple English, you probably would have noticed that my advice was to precisely to refrain form upgrading anything, unless it's really necessary. I even repeated it twice. Because yeah, you don't need a top-notch, overpriced, brand new PC to play new games.
Unlike with toasters, where if you want to keep playing new games, you absolutely have to get the entire new console every time corporate overlords feel like milking some cash and release a slightly updated system (called "next gen" or whatever). XD

And there are barely any "worthwhile PC exclusives"? When each console barely has any games at all (in comparison to the gigantic PC library)? Well, maybe if you only count the newest games from those 3 or so game genres that actually exist on toasters... XD But even then it's a huge "maybe", because consoles don't have any interesting indie games that sometimes are actually worth playing, unlike the majority of uncreative AAA titles.
But yeah, it's all about games in the end - that's why I also recommended buying a cheap, second-hand toaster. But, I guess that part went straight over your head as well. :P
He'll downplay consoles, call their respective library small and then tell you to upgrade your PC without giving a reason for why you should even bother upgrading in the first place
"Upgrade if you notice performance issues". "Upgrade when you feel it's really necessary". Exept you are telling him to upgrade for PC and with how often PC players get performance issues because devs can't optimize for shit, you're practically telling him to upgrade now nigga. Saying "upgrade when you feel it's really necessary" also serves nothing. Necessary? Necessary for what? OP just wants to play games. Too stupidly vague, you're saying nothing. Not reasons.

In the end, it's about the games. Games, games games. Can you play this game or not? Yes or no? It's 2017. The PC power meme is over. What matters are the games and the PC barely has any worthwhile games. Only boring triple A multiplatforms that are also on console, indie shovelware, and interactive anime porn books. Does OP want PS4 games? Yes? Can he play it on PC? No? Then get a PS4. It's that simple.
OP: "There's these PS4 games I want"
Mustards: "lol just consider upgrading your PC"
So stupid.

Wasting $250+ on a rig isn't going to get "FFXV, Uncharted, Persona 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, or Madden" on to PC anytime sooner.
PeenusWeenusCaimFeb 22, 2017 6:32 AM
Feb 22, 2017 6:37 AM

Mar 2015
I'd have to say PC, I know people who have the PS4 Pro and it's apparently very underwhelming. There's far less restrictions and far more options on a gaming PC in comparison to PS4. Many games are both PC and PS4, there's far better RPGs and JRPGs on PC. You can get a monitor later and if you get a 1ms Asus or BenQ monitor they're excellent for both consoles and PC also both are relatively inexpensive as monitors go.

Some games that are both on PC and consoles are not as popular when it comes to online multiplayer on PC no matter how popular the game is in general. Like Mortal Kombat X isn't very popular on PC when there's always over 100 people in rooms on both PS4 and XB1.

Signature & Avatar Designed By: shirakuzo
Feb 22, 2017 6:46 AM

Jun 2011
There's really no reason to upgrade that GPU.
Feb 22, 2017 6:51 AM

Apr 2015
There are enough solid PS4 games I would say it's worth the investment. Especially as some like Madden and Persona 5 will never come to PC.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 22, 2017 7:43 AM

Nov 2008
Narmy said:
There's really no reason to upgrade that GPU.
Agreed. I still have a GTX 780. I played Witcher 3 on it, Arkham Knight, GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider and many other demanding games, with medium to high settings and generally 60 frames per second. If you're so hung up about playing games with the highest settings, why are you considering a console?

Maybe when the next generation of cards come out, I'll consider upgrading. The demanding new games are mostly pretty unappealing looking, so I'm in no hurry.

Feb 22, 2017 10:20 AM

Jul 2015

It really depends on how graphically demanding the games you play on pc are. If they're not playing anything more than 1080p @ 60fps. you can get away with upgrading to a 1050/1060 and getting a cheap 1080p monitor.

And unless you plan to use vr. The ps4 pro Wont be worth it. Just get an older model.
Feb 22, 2017 10:21 AM

Nov 2012
Nope I'm not caught up on FPS at all, it just has to be visually playable to me (meaining I'm not actively seeing any frame /screen tearing interfearing with my ability to see the game I'm playing).

I found a $99 1080p recent dell monitor at m local electronics store so thats that for the monitor.

I just want to say thanks to you guys for your suggestions so far. I'm still a bit undecided but recent coments have made it somewhat clear to me that my graphics card isn't really outdated yet to warrant buying an updated card if I'm just going to stick with 1080p which I will for now.

So now its really cut down to do i get a ps4 and some games for both pc and ps4, or do i just stick with my rig and get whatever games i want for it (and possibly just hope for ports of at least some games like FFXV and red dead II for example).
midnightbladeFeb 22, 2017 10:26 AM
Feb 22, 2017 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
I'd definitely go with the PS4 Pro if you're a JRPG fan. There's tons of games you're not going to get on PC, FFVIIR, KH3, Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel 3 on the JRPG front. Then you've got RDR2, The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, etc you're not getting on PC either.

The only issue I see is most of these awesome games aren't out yet on the PS4 front... So you could always upgrade the PC now and buy the Pro after a price drop and more games come out.
Feb 22, 2017 10:36 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah I see what you mean martio.. i had friends who were mainly PC gamer when i was in college (2009-2013) and waited till 2011/2012 to get a ps3 on the cheap and when the game catalog was cheaper/more expansive as well.

Yeah the Last of Us , FF7, and Red Dead 1 were all great games that I beat before (ff7 in 2005 , red dead in 2011, last of us late 2013) . I've honestly never tried kindom hearts. I'm a bit torn on the Persona series, I didn't enjoy P3FES much but found P4Golden suited me a lot better.

FFXV doesn't make a great impression on me from what ive read and watched from reviews and some gameplay. Not what im looking for in an RPG if the characters are mostly shallow and the plot is nonsensical.

The main draw of the playstation to me would probably be Madden, the few exclusives present and future like the ones you mention, and also those obscure japanese games that get brought over here that aren't on the PC.
midnightbladeFeb 22, 2017 10:48 AM
Feb 22, 2017 10:37 AM

Sep 2009
If there are some exclusives you'd like to play, older PS4 seems like a good idea, especially if you can get one relatively cheaply (and that should be possible, now that Pro is around). There's no need to limit yourself to one platform - PC gaming is significantly cheaper than console gaming, so you probably can afford an extra toaster to play a few titles. :P
Feb 23, 2017 1:38 PM

Sep 2011
I always say this, does the console exclusives REALLY make a big difference for you ?

If you can't go on without playing the Jrpg games that doesn't get the chance to hit the PC then get PS4.

Otherwise go for the PC, the number of Jrpgs coming to PC is increasing by the day, about 60-70% of the Jrpg games that hit the PS4 also come to PC.
Feb 23, 2017 2:20 PM

Sep 2012
get a ps4™
now available in glacier white at your local walmart, just 249.99 from now until the 25th.

you're gonna like the way you play
i guarantee it.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Feb 23, 2017 2:27 PM

Feb 2013
If you have a badass TV or a great monitor get a PS4 Pro because if you don't have one you should go for the regular PS4, that's what I'm gonna buy soon, I don't wanna pay more for a monitor or a TV than for the actual console.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games?

Dumb - Feb 11

49 by loligoth666 »»
22 minutes ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3508 by loligoth666 »»
24 minutes ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - 3 hours ago

1 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago

» favorite pokemon ( 1 2 )

Fang_Tooth - Jan 21, 2023

57 by Ex-Aid »»
3 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - Apr 19

6 by KenaiPhoenix »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.