Forums
New
Feb 21, 2017 6:48 AM
Mar 2011
simple question

there are a few members on this site who think so

thye use the argumentum ad populum idea to say it Popular so its good

is so art is Pointless overall
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 21, 2017 6:50 AM

Jul 2015
that statement is wrong.

/thread closed
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Feb 21, 2017 7:42 AM

Jan 2016
Bullshit, it's like saying that Marvel's movies are better than Tarkovskij's Stalker just because they are more popular.
Feb 21, 2017 7:57 AM

Nov 2016
Being good makes a show popular but not all popular shows are good.
Feb 21, 2017 8:02 AM
Mar 2011
so people agree with me it seems ....
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 21, 2017 8:12 AM

Jul 2014
Nazism was pretty damn popular circa 1933 so no, I definitely don't think so.
Take care of yourself

Feb 21, 2017 8:14 AM

Jul 2015
popular = appeal to larger audience
this is how i see popularity
Feb 21, 2017 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
Popularity denotes mass appeal, which isn't necessarily synonymous with good. There are many great things that will never never have mass appeal, especially when it comes to things that are esoteric or niche in nature. For something to be popular, it needs to be palatable and more easily digestible. Popular things are only "good" if popularity is the means of measurement that we use to determine goodness. This kills objectivity, which would mean the death of art as we know it, and many other things...
MoogFeb 21, 2017 8:26 AM
Feb 21, 2017 8:23 AM

Oct 2014
Consider it like this, I am a good person and I am not even popular. So .... I am just letting you people know what to do.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 21, 2017 8:24 AM

Mar 2014
Tokyo Ghoul is popular

Does that answer your question?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 21, 2017 8:29 AM

Feb 2015
Absolutely not. Popular just means it's very accessible to the masses, which is most of the time not a good thing. Especially when it comes to anime/manga, because the fanbase is relatively young.
Feb 21, 2017 8:37 AM

Jun 2014
Nope. Almost every popular thing is bad.

Feb 21, 2017 9:06 AM

Feb 2017
depends if the popular thing is also your taste. So if something is popular doesnt mean its good for you or others
Feb 21, 2017 9:06 AM

Sep 2012
Galaxy__ said:
that statement is wrong.

/thread closed

Thank you kind sir. *Tips fedora* Those are my thoughts as well.

Comic_Sans said:
Tokyo Ghoul is popular

My man.
Feb 21, 2017 9:13 AM

Mar 2014
sasalx said:
Galaxy__ said:
that statement is wrong.

/thread closed

Comic_Sans said:
Tokyo Ghoul is popular

My man.
I am a woman, but thank you anyway mister
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 21, 2017 9:30 AM

May 2015
I mean every popular show has clearly done something right but popularity is certainly not a way to measure quality. Nothing can be objectively good nor bad, so even if we agree that "popular" is not synonymous with "good", I don't think it's right to say all popular shows are "bad" either.
Feb 21, 2017 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
Comic_Sans said:
sasalx said:

My man.

Oh my bad. M'lady.

I am actually surprised.

Feb 21, 2017 9:51 AM

Feb 2015
Ill the the bad guy and say yes, to an extent. Steins;Gate is ranked #5 overall and #8 in popularity, so it holds some truth. There are many more but that's just the example I'm using.

But then again Bleach is #14 in popularity, and I hear nothing but negative things about it, so it goes both ways. So who knows...
Feb 21, 2017 10:43 AM

Jan 2013
Hell no. Who believes that to be true
Feb 21, 2017 10:46 AM

Mar 2014
sasalx said:
Comic_Sans said:

Oh my bad. M'lady.

I am actually surprised.

You're not the first person who mistakes me for a man

Nice gif btw
Nico- said:
Feb 21, 2017 10:48 AM

Nov 2014
Hell No, that's very a dumb thing to ask.
Feb 21, 2017 10:51 AM

Mar 2008
Mass appeal is one kind of good
entertainment value is another kind of good
quality is another kind of good
originality and innovation is another kind of good.

The first is only one that can be objectively measured with exception of arbitrary guides that can be objectively followed

Moog said:
Popularity denotes mass appeal, which isn't necessarily synonymous with good. There are many great things that will never never have mass appeal, especially when it comes to things that are esoteric or niche in nature. For something to be popular, it needs to be palatable and more easily digestible. Popular things are only "good" if popularity is the means of measurement that we use to determine goodness. This kills objectivity, which would mean the death of art as we know it, and many other things...

There is no such thing as objectively good art. There is only how well an art fits into an objective guide frame for that specific style but that doesn't necisarily mean it's good in other measures of good. What is a good style? Is it good or bad if it does not fit in a specific known style? There is no objective answer.
Feb 21, 2017 10:52 AM

Aug 2016
it is popular for a reason... but uhhh idk im gonna have to say no lol
Feb 21, 2017 11:04 AM
Mar 2011
traed said:
Mass appeal is one kind of good
entertainment value is another kind of good
quality is another kind of good
originality and innovation is another kind of good.

The first is only one that can be objectively measured with exception of arbitrary guides that can be objectively followed

Moog said:

There is no such thing as objectively good art. There is only how well an art fits into an objective guide frame for that specific style but that doesn't necisarily mean it's good in other measures of good. What is a good style? Is it good or bad if it does not fit in a specific known style? There is no objective answer.

to me there is Objectively good art .

Feb 21, 2017 11:18 AM

Mar 2008
DateYutaka said:

That should tip you off it's subjective.
Feb 21, 2017 11:55 AM
Mar 2011
traed said:
DateYutaka said:

That should tip you off it's subjective.

objevive factors lik vocal talent in music even the most common lay person an tell a good vocal from a not so good one

Instrumentation is harder cause to be hons unless yo know Music idoubt that oowuld can tell a good drum line sice ot an untraied ear drums are just noise hene why for the most part Drum and bad is so loved by alot of casuals [ Laypeople [ while people like me People who hold know Music shiold hate tfor being just Noise [ witch is is casue there is not real drum or real bass Guitar there

cuase i cna pl both Guliat and base both learn by ear purakly as part of my degree [ but i lernat ot play the guita at 12 yes i hold a degree in Muisc and the Stage arts too[ th mind you

im not fully agesi mahices in Muis stuff like the melatorn and shny of ok with but just pure noise like in onose rock or EDM or EBM as long as there is real Instruments and amd Good quilty Vocal and good Lyricism two of three will be a pass all three does not happen any more

Feb 21, 2017 12:50 PM

Feb 2016
Popular means it's more likely to be good.

Feb 21, 2017 12:55 PM

Apr 2016
Definitely not, just look on Top 10, or Most popular anime here on MAL, trash after trash, with some honorable exceptions.
Feb 21, 2017 7:52 PM

Apr 2015
Popularity and Good are like the X and Y axis (Axies? Axisis? I don't know) on a 3-D graph. They touch, but a positive or negative value in one doesn't mean the other will have the same value.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 21, 2017 9:03 PM

Nov 2008
Not always, for example AKB48 is popular but has below average music overall.

Feb 21, 2017 9:19 PM
Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
Not always, for example AKB48 is popular but has below average music overall.

somes up all idol Music over all i think

Feb 21, 2017 9:31 PM

Nov 2016
Ever heard of opinions?Does popular=good should be self explanatory.
Feb 21, 2017 10:27 PM
Apr 2013
No, it's those kind of ideas that make people think the Beatles were good.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Feb 22, 2017 12:47 AM

Aug 2011
Definitely not.

As others have said, the only thing that popularity actually shows is that it has a wider appeal than something that is less popular... and because most people have awful tastes in nearly everything, wide appeal isn't necessarily a plus.
Feb 22, 2017 12:50 AM

May 2015
Bandwagon Fallacy is perhaps the most well known fallacy.

Anyone who still thinks so must take a course in logic and fast.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 22, 2017 1:27 AM

Dec 2012
Yes, it very much does, only the best can attract the attention of everyone. Whether they be a mudslinging shitposter or an site admin, they're not popular for nothing. Hell they could be good at all the wrong reasons, but you can't deny their skill.

Feb 22, 2017 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
the answer depends on how good is defined and whether you consider everyone's opinion to be of equal value or not.
Feb 22, 2017 2:32 AM

Jun 2015
Donald Trump was elected as president by the people, and he was a huge hit on tv, so he's obviously popular.

but most ppl dont think he's good though.
Feb 22, 2017 6:44 AM

Mar 2015
Of course not, that's just ridiculous to me as most of the time I think it's the other way around, Popular = Shit.

Signature & Avatar Designed By: shirakuzo
Feb 22, 2017 7:05 AM

Jan 2016
Nope. I find that more often than not, the opposite rings more true.
Feb 22, 2017 7:06 AM

Sep 2009
Obviously not. Popular crap is anathema to people who've actually watched enough anime to develop a taste.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 22, 2017 10:38 AM

Jun 2015
Depends on how you define good. Obviously a large group of people like popular things by definition, so they consider these things good. You can find flaws with anything, but it's up to the individual to make their decision on whether something is good for them or not.

Feb 22, 2017 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
if a show is popular that means a big amount of people like it doesnt mean its good but there is a thing called opinions
Feb 22, 2017 12:35 PM

Apr 2014
popular shows are on average good for most people
but not all good shows are popular
opinions play a big role
Feb 22, 2017 3:11 PM
Jan 2017
In many cases no. Popular means smth which is cool for the most amount of people but that doesn't mean that it's so good only because it's popular... Like Bieber's music for example xDD
Feb 22, 2017 5:17 PM

Feb 2015
There are shit ton of games that ppl hate, and its popular among most people. There are clothing that appeals to most people and others that don't. One way of looking at it is I guess the trend that is occurring, but being not following the trend does not equal of "hating it" in someways, it just means ppl have their own prefered stuff...

For me, art should be involve in how I will decide something I will watch. If its from the 2000s era or something, of course I will think outside of 2015 artsytle and just, follow with it. Let it first absord within me.

Not, really anything about clothing, I wear simple jeans and walking shoes if its Summer, and winter boots during Winter.
Feb 24, 2017 3:27 AM

Sep 2015
Nah of course not, just look at No Game No Life
Feb 24, 2017 3:28 AM

Jul 2013
why would you ask such an obvious question when you know the answer?

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 24, 2017 4:30 AM
Jul 2016
Popular is not necessarily good, but it depends on each individuals opinion. It's popular because most people like it, but that doesn't mean everyone's has to.

However, popularity does not automatically make something bad either, as some people might say. It's popular for a reason, you know, so there's nothing wrong with agreeing with the majority once in a while.

It can really go either way. I love Death Note, which is ranked number one on this site's list of most popular anime. However, I'm not a fan of One Piece or the Dragon Ball franchise, which would probably be considered an unpopular opinion.
Always take into consideration that I suck at getting my point across correctly within the first few edits... please.

More topics from this board

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

50 by luckyrune »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it ok if your partner has a best friend (bestie) of the opposite sex?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 20

19 by Reki_Retro »»
19 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

6 by Otakupervert890 »»
43 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

306 by bevarnow »»
1 hour ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - 5 hours ago

4 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.