Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2017 12:40 AM

Jan 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aside from the very ending, which we'll get to, I really liked this episode. But first, since it's the 80s we're randomly treated to Ai's skateboarding skills:

So in this episode we get 2 intermingling plots. While Toshi attempts to recover the stolen(by jewel thieves, not Cat's Eye) broach he secretly bought for Hitomi, she goes undercover to swipe a different jewel held by the same thieves once owned by her father. Ai happens to witness Toshi buying Hitomi's gift, but thinks it's for Miss Asatani. Asatani's blush face when the jeweler makes the same error is adorable:

Ai tells Hitomi who becomes distraught. Ignoring that she should obviously know better by now being his school sweetheart and all, it's still a nice role reversal with Hitomi being the insecure one in the relationship for once:

Anywho, the main plot goes as you'd expect, but Toshi turns into action man. Swinging off cars:

Disguising himself for a sting as a bad Chinese stereotype:

And what have you. He even eats at NASADONALD, which I'm guessing must be WacDonald's rival since they were in a previous episode. :D His scene there and the one feigning injury with the Chief are both genuinely funny. Honestly he does about as good a job this episode as Hitomi does until Ai and Rui bail her out with Ai's windstorm invention. Yes, I forgot Ai was the Donatello of the group...although this came first so reverse that I guess. :D Anywho here's where my problem with the ending comes in: Hitomi nabs dad's jewel and all the others fly all over from the wind machine. Except the broach, which magically lands in Hitomi's pocket. Later she notices and after reading the inscription feels bad for doubting Toshi. Then...for some reason...they go to the local planetarium and she fixes it so the broach falls from the sky for him to give to her. Um...wtf? Toshi, being insane, just accepts that the stolen broach randomly wound up at the planetarium. Damnit show, did the broach really need to magically wind up in Hitomi's pocket? Can Toshi never look good? Why not just have the broach be recovered by Toshi and have Hitomi be genuinely surprised by it in the first place? It would have made for a far sweeter ending than what we got. Stupid, stupid decision. Good episode with a weak finish. Woulda been great had they stuck the landing, which makes it more frustrating, oh well.
Aug 10, 2019 9:36 PM

Jul 2009
Another great episode! Still can't believe the brooch was able to get in Hitomi's pocket at the exact moment. It could have flown out of the window for all we know.

Next episode is going to be great! Wedding of Toshi and Hitomi :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cat's Eye Episode 33 Discussion

TitanioVerde - Jul 30, 2010

5 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 15, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Cat's Eye Episode 73 Discussion

Rod_Russ - May 16, 2016

8 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 14, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Cat's Eye Episode 32 Discussion

SomaHeir - Apr 12, 2015

3 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 8, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Cat's Eye Episode 31 Discussion

SomaHeir - Mar 14, 2015

5 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 8, 10:11 PM

Poll: » Cat's Eye Episode 30 Discussion

SomaHeir - Mar 11, 2015

2 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 8, 10:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.