Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching alone or otherwise make a difference to enjoyment?

New
Feb 20, 2017 10:39 PM

May 2011
Mostly what I hate when with others is if subtitles are missed and as such it'd bother others to go back.
Feb 20, 2017 10:40 PM

Jun 2015
I'll get back to you when I have others to watch things with :(

Feb 20, 2017 11:14 PM

Feb 2013
the subtitle thing never happened to me `-`

depending on person-anime combination, and the context you're watching(irl vs skype, alcohol vs sober) it can make a difference..
with one friend we made lots of commentaries and in jokes of the anime we watched so that deffo changed the experience.. the cabbages in konosuba were suddenly the funniest shit ever
similarly, i'm sure the madoka experience was different when marathoning it at another firend's house with his dad's wine than if i were home alone doing it one episode at a time and no wine
romagiaFeb 20, 2017 11:17 PM
Feb 20, 2017 11:14 PM

Sep 2015
There's some stuff I prefer to watch alone like more instrospective anime, but I found that watching Re:Zero with friends made the otherwise torturous experince less sufferable.
Feb 20, 2017 11:20 PM

Oct 2016
I prefer watching alone but sometimes I think watching with somebody would be nice as well.

Particularly if the genre is romance, of course we all want to watch it with someone we like/care/love whatever.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 20, 2017 11:21 PM

Jun 2014
Alone. You will never convince me to watch my anime with others.
Feb 20, 2017 11:23 PM

Aug 2016
Eh, I think it's fun to watch anime with friends who are just as into it as you are.

But I feel like I can enjoy it loads more when I'm watching anime by myself. I feel like I don't have to keep up a conversation, and I don't have to worry about seeming dorky when I sing along to theme songs :P
Feb 20, 2017 11:25 PM

Jun 2014
Holocaster said:
Eh, I think it's fun to watch anime with friends who are just as into it as you are.

But I feel like I can enjoy it loads more when I'm watching anime by myself. I feel like I don't have to keep up a conversation, and I don't have to worry about seeming dorky when I sing along to theme songs :P
You will miss the anime if you partake in conversation though.
Feb 20, 2017 11:25 PM

Mar 2013
I can concentrate more when watching alone
Feb 20, 2017 11:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i prefer to masturbate to anime in privacy thank you... masturbating to anime around someone else would be awkward af
Feb 20, 2017 11:28 PM

Aug 2016
Kagami said:

Indeed, which is why if I do watch anime with others, I try to pick one that I've seen already. Plus the few people that I do watch with always instigate conversation, so it can be annoying at times.
Feb 20, 2017 11:30 PM

Jun 2014
Holocaster said:
Kagami said:

Indeed, which is why if I do watch anime with others, I try to pick one that I've seen already. Plus the few people that I do watch with always instigate conversation, so it can be annoying at times.
Its because they must not care about the medium enough. Unless its a rewatch, I never understood a group watch on a subbed anime. It sounds like a recipe to miss content and shit.
Feb 20, 2017 11:32 PM

Oct 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
i prefer to masturbate to anime in privacy thank you... masturbating to anime around someone else would be awkward af

Thank lord for reminding this very important reason.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 20, 2017 11:34 PM

Aug 2016
Kagami said:
Its because they must not care about the medium enough. Unless its a rewatch, I never understood a group watch on a subbed anime. It sounds like a recipe to miss content and shit.

Absolutely, it would be frustrating watching a subbed anime with a group of people.

Perhaps if you found the right kind of people it could be really enjoyable, but it's definitely something, at least for me, that's better enjoyed alone.
Feb 20, 2017 11:34 PM

Nov 2013
Sometimes I'll watch anime and one of my siblings come in and start watching it with me. I think sharing your favorite things with people close to you is always a fun thing, whether it be anime, music, tv shows, etc. Although they usually only stay for an episode or two and then leave.
Feb 20, 2017 11:35 PM

Mar 2016
I never watch anime with someone else if I did I may lose my focus than watching alone.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Feb 20, 2017 11:52 PM

Jan 2010
I've watched subbed anime with friends plenty of times and it has always been enjoyable, we are all used to subs so it wasn't like it was hard to pay attention or anything. I hate people that talk too much during movies or series though, or people that use their phones while trying to watch something together. I usually give those people one chance before I don't want to watch anything with them again.

I think I prefer company when watching anime though, especially seasonal as it's nice to have someone to enjoy it with.
Feb 21, 2017 1:44 AM

Nov 2016
Space said:
depends on who you're watching with tbh.
watching things with people who brb all the time is the most frustrating thing ever.

i feel u p.p this happened to me for 2 days before until now !!

IiconixIFeb 21, 2017 1:56 AM
Feb 21, 2017 1:50 AM

Nov 2016
I prefer to watch alone all the time

but if I want to watch with someone, it actually depends on:
- the type of the anime
- the relationship between u and that person u r watching with
- sometimes age is important like if that person was younger than u

and don't forget the most important thing is the - mood -
IiconixIFeb 21, 2017 1:56 AM
Feb 21, 2017 1:51 AM
Feb 2017
I only watch anime with my friends in order to make fun of an anime, otherwise I always watch alone.
Feb 21, 2017 1:52 AM

May 2009
I used to think that watching anime with other people was fun but then I met some people who just wouldn't stop making noises or commenting on or snarking about or spoiling the shows.

If I do watch anime with friends these days, it'll be with very close friends, and only a few of them at a time.

Meanwhile, I find watching alone to be more immersive. Devoid of distracting commentary.

Orwell420 said:
I only watch anime with my friends in order to make fun of an anime, otherwise I always watch alone.

Yeah, I've found that snarking is much easier than taking things seriously when watching with friends. And I actually like it when things get taken seriously.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 21, 2017 2:00 AM

Sep 2015
I prefer watching anime alone since I could focus on the episode. Watching with others I pay less attention so I may not understand what's happening. Also I can't replay a scene with others watching.
Feb 21, 2017 2:02 AM
Feb 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I used to think that watching anime with other people was fun but then I met some people who just wouldn't stop making noises or commenting on or snarking about or spoiling the shows.

If I do watch anime with friends these days, it'll be with very close friends, and only a few of them at a time.

Meanwhile, I find watching alone to be more immersive. Devoid of distracting commentary.

Orwell420 said:

Yeah, I've found that snarking is much easier than taking things seriously when watching with friends. And I actually like it when things get taken seriously.

I can agree, if it's an anime I care about paying attention to or one I haven't seen before, I will usually give it a watch before I see it with friends.
Feb 21, 2017 2:04 AM

Jan 2017
I wouldn't watch anime with people who annoy me so for me it's not so much "it depends on the people" but rather "it depends on the show" and "it depends on my mood."

Most of the time I watch by myself, it's quite simply the most convenient option - I can watch what I want, when I want, at my own pace, pause whenever I have to without bothering anyone else, that sort of thing. Every now and then I also enjoy inviting friends over for pizza and anime or watching via rabb.it while talking on Discord or Skype, particularly to re-watch my favorites with my friends (and having them show me their favorites) or try new shows together.

There's not a huge difference in enjoyment to me, though it does make me happy when my friends end up liking shows I love and a bad show becomes a lot more tolerable when you can make fun of it with someone next to you.
Feb 21, 2017 2:07 AM

Feb 2016
Sad or romantic moments become awkward if I watch it with someone else.
Feb 21, 2017 2:14 AM

Oct 2015
enjoying an anime = watching it alone
Feb 21, 2017 2:24 AM

Jul 2015
ElectricOrion said:
Sad or romantic moments become awkward if I watch it with someone else.

this is exactly why is better to watch anime alone
Feb 21, 2017 2:38 AM

Apr 2016
Ecchi and fanservice moments become awkward if I watch it with someone else.

this is exactly why is better to watch anime alone
Feb 21, 2017 2:57 AM

Oct 2011
It really depends on various things.

- My mood
- The anime
- The person I watch with
- If it is a rewatch

I don't like watching anime with others when I don't know it already. Unforeseen awkward moments can lead to awkward moments in real life.

I really hate it, when the person I watch with doesn't get the point or doesn't pay attention if it is an anime I really like. On the other hand, I like to show others my favorite anime, so that we can share the greatness.

I would not watch anime with a bigger group, except for things like dragonball, where you can goof off and kamehameha with your friends. I enjoyed anime with my ex girlfriend, because she liked it almost as much as me. And if ecchi moments occured, we knew the right thing to do...^.^
Feb 21, 2017 2:58 AM
Jul 2018
Alone is better, alternatively a simulwatch when you watch anime with people online at the same time but not together and no one is talking during the episode and then you can talk AFTER the episode ends, this is actually far from a bad idea but watching anything, not just anime with anyone in the same room when they/he/she is constantly making remarks or laughing uncontrollably ETC. when you are trying to focus is rather annoying to say the least.

Tho who am I kidding I don't really have anyone to watch anime with to begin with ;-;
Feb 21, 2017 3:00 AM

Mar 2016
I enjoy watching it alone.

Would be embarrassing if they saw me watching Ecchi stuffs. XD
Feb 21, 2017 3:15 AM

Jul 2013
I always watch anime alone, so there isn't any difference for me.
Feb 21, 2017 3:21 AM
Jul 2015
Anime is not popular at all where I live. Very few people know of it. I also have no friends with whom I can spend time like this. So I only watch anime alone. Howver, I doubt I'd enjoy watching it with others seeing as even movies or tv series I like to watch them alone
Feb 21, 2017 3:51 AM

May 2016
Watching things with people makes me talk with them and don't concentrate in the anime so I prefer to watch it alone. Unless I'm rewatching
Feb 21, 2017 3:56 AM

Feb 2017
To be honest, I prefer company when watching anime! I think it's way more fun when somebody is around you can be silly with, talk about the show, fangirl, etc. My friend (who introduced me to anime thx lol) and I have regular sleepovers where we basically bingewatch anime together and it literally is the best thing ever when the person you're watching anime together with shares the same level of craziness :D and what do we learn from this? Just get your friends into anime, it worked fine for my friend and I'm the one who ended up being totally addicted to it haha xD

BUT, as you guys already pointed out, it really depends on who you're watching with and what show you're watching. I guess I wouldn't want to watch some overly complicated stuff with anyone either since it could ruin the whole experience and you might not pay full attention to what's happening.
Feb 21, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2016
What a weird question no offence. I can't see anyone who would prefer watching with a group rather than themselves. You would be distracted and miss the good parts and it'll be annoying in my opinion. It'll only be good as a group of its rewatching the show, then your'e having a discussion on the important parts of the episodes.
Feb 21, 2017 4:27 AM

Jan 2015
It's more fun watching anime with other people. Though most of the time I watch anime on my own and still enjoy it.

Feb 21, 2017 5:08 AM
Feb 2012
Watching these series by yourself enables you to focus on the medium at hand, immerse yourself in a more complete way and, one of the most important things, watch the show at your own pace.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 21, 2017 5:37 AM

Jul 2015
I'd like to watch it with other people, but I'm not friends with people who like it. It'd probably be funnier that way though.
Feb 21, 2017 5:49 AM

Oct 2007
I find it easier to watch more episodes in one go with my boyfriend vs alone. We're going to watch HxH 2011 together soon.

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

95 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by BatoKusanagi »»
13 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 52 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.