Forum Settings
Forums

To master human language must you necessarily be bilingual?

New
Feb 18, 2017 6:30 PM

Aug 2013
This can include knowing a programming language. Or perhaps it's through knowing another spoken language and an alternative type of language, that you satisfy prerequisites for mastery.
JustaCratFeb 18, 2017 7:30 PM
Feb 18, 2017 6:47 PM

Mar 2008
I don't think you have to be fluent but learning another language can help you learn about your own
Feb 18, 2017 9:34 PM

Aug 2013
traed said:
I don't think you have to be fluent but learning another language can help you learn about your own

Do you mean just what you can learn without it in other ways anyway, or do you necessarily have to be bilingual to comprehend some facets of your first language?
Feb 18, 2017 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
SubcompactCrat said:
traed said:

Do you mean just what you can learn without it in other ways anyway, or do you necessarily have to be bilingual to comprehend some facets of your first language?

I dont think you have to be bilingual but I'm not so I cant be sure. All I know is I now how to look at english more now while learning other languages
Feb 19, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2014
interesting topic
i guess it helps you learn how other people who speak the second language interpret your first language
like watching subbed anime and the same words have different but common meanings between each show
Feb 20, 2017 2:06 AM

Aug 2013
We communicate, often unconsciously, with the body language, I think the gesticulation or facial expression, they are universal languages, the verbal language is useful to understand each other immediately, but the words are a simplification of the reality, a word can mean many things, often the incomprehensions born by different senses that people have of a single word or phrase
Feb 20, 2017 3:13 AM

Dec 2014
No it's definitely not necessary. Although, what do you mean by "mastering" a language?

Feb 20, 2017 3:16 AM

Feb 2013
You can live in the mountains and master the human language easily.
And what does programming have to do with communicating anyway, it's a whole different thing.
Feb 20, 2017 4:30 AM

Aug 2013
Clawds said:
No it's definitely not necessary. Although, what do you mean by "mastering" a language?

Just achieving a first-rate level, so being as good as anyone in your own right.
Feb 20, 2017 6:00 AM

Oct 2007
'human language' is a bit of a vague concept here... Also, I don't think 'mastering' a language is even possible, since languages are always changing and self-update only goes so far, eventually you won't be able to catch up.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Feb 20, 2017 6:13 AM

Jul 2015
english is 3 langaegs alredy
truly is most toppest langeuge
!
Feb 21, 2017 12:29 PM

Jun 2012
Salvatia said:
english is 3 langaegs alredy
truly is most toppest langeuge
!

My brain just selfdestructed. And because of 30-character-rule it happened twice.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Feb 21, 2017 12:44 PM

Nov 2011
the one who masters English is the master of all languages...geso

world nomidation incoming~
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Feb 21, 2017 12:47 PM

Feb 2016
Hahaha programming language. You might as well include music as a language.

No. You don't need to be bilingual. English is probably the most useful language to know, but it depends on where you live and what the most common language is in your area.

The more languages, the better, but maybe you want to focus on mastering one rather than sort of knowing 3-5.

Feb 21, 2017 1:05 PM

Jun 2014
Most people haven't even "Mastered" their native language. You may find it hard to believe, but there are so many words and phrases in your native language that you haven't heard before, that it's not even funny.

Feb 21, 2017 2:08 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
Most people haven't even "Mastered" their native language. You may find it hard to believe, but there are so many words and phrases in your native language that you haven't heard before, that it's not even funny.
That's definitely true. Goethe himself had a vastly higher Vocabulary than pretty much every other Adult Speaker ever had.
For Comparison: he is estimated to have at least 80k+ Words, while the average adult German today has 15k+ Words he's actively using in his daily Life (btw: most unique Words had been in Goethe's Letters and Scientific Works, and not in his literary ones for which he is better known).
NoboruFeb 21, 2017 9:50 PM
Feb 21, 2017 4:52 PM

Nov 2016
I don't think it hurts. I think its important to be bilingual for every non-native english speaker though, life would be pretty tough in this globalized world without a lingua franca.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"

More topics from this board

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

25 by Lost_Viking »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends?

pludel2 - Apr 10

33 by zoeanime13 »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the internet been taking away our free speech?

purple_rayn - Apr 13

36 by PeripheralVision »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Which decade was the worst? ( 1 2 )

H-A-M-M-Y - Mar 27

68 by Sciadopitys »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » How will things look in 40 - 50 years?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 7

34 by IpreferEcchi »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.