Forum Settings
Forums

In Europe, Pence says US will hold Russia accountable

New
Feb 18, 2017 11:52 AM

Jan 2012
Trump has repeatedly called NATO “obsolete,” but U.S. officials in Europe this week, including Pence and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, appear to be concentrating more on pushing allies to meet NATO defense spending commitments rather than focusing on Trump’s desire for a new relationship with the Kremlin, a major fear in Europe. Many European allies see Russia as a security threat following its 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula.

“Today, tomorrow and every day hence, be confident that the United States is now and will always be your greatest ally,” Pence said. “Be assured: President Trump and the American people are fully devoted to our transatlantic union.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/pence-and-merkel-embrace-nato-but-differ-on-transatlantic-partnership/2017/02/18/909c6a92-f55c-11e6-9fb1-2d8f3fc9c0ed_story.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nice news @deadoptimist , same as Obama

Mike Pence confers with Angela Merkel, the new leader of the free world.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 18, 2017 11:58 AM

Nov 2009
While I agree that NATO nations should start pulling more of the weight, at the same time the US pretty much drags NATO into shit they start (and ironically leaves them to deal w/ the mess, i.e. refugee crisis), so I don't think the US has a leg to stand on here. (I would actually find it interesting to see an analysis of how much US' decisions cost NATO members who disagreed w/ the US in certain instances, like Iraq)

Not too mention that if the EU instead pushes for their own unified military, it would really make putting more into NATO foolish. Any European leader who takes the US', especially in the current administration, word at face value deserves to be invaded, not that it would ever actually happen.
Feb 18, 2017 1:43 PM

Jul 2014
AllenVonStein said:

Not sure, why you mention me. I don't watch TV, but even the initial reports on Trump here were reserved, it's the idea of Western media that he is a big ally of Russia or that Russia is ecstatic. There were some hope and some cheap populism at first, but not much, and currently the infosphere isn't in panic. It's just that Hilary was way too unnerving, but who knows, maybe Trump'll be worse. Being "hard" on Russia is the easiest and cheapest way to look "strong" and talk morals, and American press sure did everything to make Russia into some primeval sin.

I am even more unsure, why that's a good thing, since Obama's policy didn't make the world any safer. Like, how's democracy in Lybia? Is the refugee crisis really Peace Nobel Prize-worthy?

Sure it is a bit disappointing, but I believe no half-intelligent being did sincerely expect any better.
Feb 18, 2017 1:51 PM

Apr 2012
This is sad

The gay hater and believer in gay conversion therapy, Mike Pence, being more presidential than Trump. Always cleaning up the shit that comes out of his mouth.

Feb 18, 2017 1:55 PM

Jan 2014
Pence-senpai? More like Trash-kun.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 19, 2017 12:12 AM

Jun 2008
Zelev said:

I don't know exactly why...but this gave me a good laugh.

Thanks!

:)
Feb 19, 2017 2:41 AM

Apr 2014
Zeally said:
This is sad

The gay hater and believer in gay conversion therapy, Mike Pence, being more presidential than Trump. Always cleaning up the shit that comes out of his mouth.

Cucking out =/= being more presidential

Pence might be a mole, honestly. He might have been forced on Trump, along with some of his other picks. It would explain a lot.

How is Russia a threat to Europe? Europe is a danger to itself.
Feb 19, 2017 3:04 AM

Mar 2014
Zelev said:
I don't get the joke
Altairius said:
I'd say The Baltic states' reasons for fearing a Russian invasion aren't completely baseless

Then again, seeing how all of the Baltic states seem to be near the brink of bankruptcy I don't think Putin will feel very prone to invade the region for now (or at least I hope so)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 19, 2017 4:54 AM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
I'd say The Baltic states' reasons for fearing a Russian invasion aren't completely baseless

Then again, seeing how all of the Baltic states seem to be near the brink of bankruptcy I don't think Putin will feel very prone to invade the region for now (or at least I hope so)

But many countries were parts of other empires during the years of the human history that were less governed by international law. Following this logic everyone has to hold grudge for years and become even more hateful in time. Should Russia do everyting to pay back to the Mongol, the French, the German, to Poles? Should former colonies still be scared and toxic towards former empires?

They're in the EU and in NATO, asking their neighbor to be destroyed or heavily pressed to make them feel even more secure is a bit too much. They also could take away many reasons for criticism and tension if they recognized people who live in their country, were born there and pay taxes as proper citizens, stopped the parades of the SS vets and discriminatory propaganda.
Inviting NATO personnell into the city that is divided by the border with Russia, for example, doesn't cry deescalation and security.
deadoptimistFeb 19, 2017 4:59 AM
Feb 19, 2017 5:48 AM

Mar 2014
deadoptimist said:
But many countries were parts of other empires during the years of the human history that were less governed by international law. Following this logic everyone has to hold grudge for years and become even more hateful in time. Should Russia do everyting to pay back to the Mongol, the French, the German, to Poles? Should former colonies still be scared and toxic towards former empires?

They're in the EU and in NATO, asking their neighbor to be destroyed or heavily pressed to make them feel even more secure is a bit too much. They also could take away many reasons for criticism and tension if they recognized people who live in their country, were born there and pay taxes as proper citizens, stopped the parades of the SS vets and discriminatory propaganda.
Inviting NATO personnell into the city that is divided by the border with Russia, for example, doesn't cry deescalation and security.
Where did I say anything about Russia having to pay back, getting destroyed by NATO or me agreeing with the discrimination of Russian Baltics? Nowhere, because that's a complete straw man and nothing else. I said that the Baltic states' fear of Russia makes sense if you look at history.

Please take off that victim complex cardigan of yours.
Comic_SansFeb 19, 2017 5:55 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 19, 2017 6:04 AM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Where did I say anything about Russia having to pay back, getting destroyed by NATO or that I agree with the discrimination of Russian Baltics? Nowhere, because that's a complete straw man and nothing else. I said that the Baltic states' fear of Russia makes sense if you look at history.

Please take off that victim complex cardigan of yours.

But it doesn't anymore? They're in the biggest and the most powerful military block and in the EU. They got NATO forces stationed on their territory. The USSR and its ideology of communism for the whole world doesn't exist anymore. Russia can't possibly attack them as it doesn't have neither resources nor need. It doesn't make sense, and they don't follow their own words by provoking tensions themselves. This is victim complex by the way, not listing outragious things that really happen which I did. Discrimination against ethnic Russians happens, no complexes needed. But, yeah, it doesn't fall in the line of thought "Russia is evil", so you would choose to discard the problems.
Feb 19, 2017 6:51 AM

Mar 2014
deadoptimist said:
But it doesn't anymore? They're in the biggest and the most powerful military block and in the EU. They got NATO forces stationed on their territory.
NATO forces which Trump might want to remove, seeing how he was very critical of NATO until recently (and maybe still is, the man has been flip flopping a lot throughout and after the election campaign) and even said that he wouldn't necessarily challenge Russian aggression in the Baltic states. Have you already forgotten about his criticism of NATO?
The USSR and its ideology of communism for the whole world doesn't exist anymore. Russia can't possibly attack them as it doesn't have neither resources nor need. It doesn't make sense, and they don't follow their own words by provoking tensions themselves.
Clearly "muh resources, not wanting to spread their ideology throughout the world or provoking tensions" wasn't a problem when they decided to invade Crimea. And yes, the Crimea situation is different, but that doesn't change the fact that they did in fact invade a territory, meaning that there's no absolute guarantee they won't try again.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be able to figure out why the two reasons above could lead the Baltic population into thinking that there's a slight risk Russia might turn its gaze towards them and try to pull something funny.
This is victim complex by the way, not listing outragious things that really happen which I did. Discrimination against ethnic Russians happens, no complexes needed. But, yeah, it doesn't fall in the line of thought "Russia is evil", so you would choose to discard the problems.
Did you even read my previous posts? I explicitly said that I didn't think Russia should have to pay back/be destroyed by Nato/Baltic Russians should be discriminated against and that I didn't believe Russia would try to invade the Baltics seeing how that probably wouldn't be economically beneficial.

How does any of the things you listed above invalidate the Baltic states' reasons for fearing a Russian invasion? Again, I don't think Vlad is going to try to invade the Baltics. But trying to make it look like "everybody's bullying poor Russia just for the sake of it and the Balts are being paranoid for no reason at all" is dishonest, plain and simple.
Comic_SansFeb 19, 2017 6:54 AM
Nico- said:
Feb 19, 2017 7:34 AM

Jul 2014

That was during the populist pre-election time. One has to have the intellect of a bread loaf to take everything Trump said then at face value. What matters is how his administration will act, and that remains to be seen, and, lo and behold, let's look at the OP.

You said so yourself, Crimea is different, also I've mentioned it twice already - Baltics are in NATO, have NATO forces stationed at their territory, they are parts of the EU, they don't seem to have a coup, the USSR fell dozens of years ago and Baltics and Russia are tied together in a different way compared to Russia and Ukraine. And you point to history which have been hard for most countries. How acting (and I stress this, acting) as if Russia is going to invade them tomorow discregarding all these reasons is justified?

Ok, they may think whatever, the problem is that they act based on this paranoia and anti-Russian hysteria. The hysteria that thay have been growing themselves for a long time, just look at the non-citizens and their press.

Russia is indeed bullied and many of the cited reasons (not all, haven't said that) are Cold War era bullshit or hypocricy. And somehow victim complexes are fine and encouraged in the former Soviet states. I don't say that you specifically ask for the destruction of Russia, but many do, the press often does. The bullying side is fine with this, I understand, it always is, but saying that it's just is too much.
You also write as if Russia lives on some sort of devillish logic of total conquer. "Turn its gaze", "try something funny" - yanno, Putin is not a flaming eye on a tower, it's just a slowly rotting human country here, which is afraid for its border too.
Feb 19, 2017 9:07 AM

Mar 2014
deadoptimist said:
That was during the populist pre-election time. One has to have the intellect of a bread loaf to take everything Trump said then at face value. What matters is how his administration will act, and that remains to be seen, and, lo and behold, let's look at the OP.
Election campaigns are supposed to be a foreshadowing of what's to come. If you, during your whole presidential campaign, keep on saying that you might want the U.S. to pull out on NATO and that you won't necessarily challenge Russian aggression and then, once you've been elected, your vice president suddenly comes out and claims that the U.S. stands behind NATO 100 % then obviously people are going to be confused.

Yes, the way his administration will act remains to be seen, you said so yourself. And until we have really cleared up the confusion about how Trump feels about NATO, the Baltics will most likely continue to be frightened.
You said so yourself, Crimea is different, also I've mentioned it twice already - Baltics are in NATO, have NATO forces stationed at their territory,
And I have already said twice that it is currently unclear whether the NATO forces will continue to be stationed there or not, for reasons that I have already stated above.
they are parts of the EU, they don't seem to have a coup, the USSR fell dozens of years ago and Baltics and Russia are tied together in a different way compared to Russia and Ukraine. And you point to history which have been hard for most countries. How acting (and I stress this, acting) as if Russia is going to invade them tomorow discregarding all these reasons is justified?

Ok, they may think whatever, the problem is that they act based on this paranoia and anti-Russian hysteria. The hysteria that thay have been growing themselves for a long time, just look at the non-citizens and their press.
Yes, but this type of fright tends to be especially prevalent in small countries (population-wise and/or area-wise) that border an or multiple enormous countries since, historically, such territories have always been especially vulnerable to invasions.

I am speaking from my own experience when I say this.

Then again, this is probably a hard concept for you to grasp, seeing how you, according to your profile, are from Russia yourself (I am not saying this to insult you).
Russia is indeed bullied and many of the cited reasons (not all, haven't said that) are Cold War era bullshit or hypocricy. And somehow victim complexes are fine and encouraged in the former Soviet states. I don't say that you specifically ask for the destruction of Russia, but many do, the press often does. The bullying side is fine with this, I understand, it always is, but saying that it's just is too much.
How in the whole world did the Cold war force Russia to invade the Baltics, deport huge parts of its native population to Siberia and then occupy it for another 50 years without even bothering to apologize afterwards?

I'd say the Baltics have especially good reasons to feel hostile towards Russia.
You also write as if Russia lives on some sort of devillish logic of total conquer. "Turn its gaze", "try something funny" - yanno, Putin is not a flaming eye on a tower, it's just a slowly rotting human country here, which is afraid for its border too.
It is completely natural to be suspicious towards enormous superpowers who have conquered/attempted to conquer other territories in the past.
Comic_SansFeb 19, 2017 9:12 AM
Nico- said:
Feb 19, 2017 10:02 AM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
How in the whole world did the Cold war force Russia to invade the Baltics, deport huge parts of its native population to Siberia and then occupy it for another 50 years without even bothering to apologize afterwards?

I'd say the Baltics have especially good reasons to feel hostile towards Russia.

There're no good reasons to be hostile towards a whole nation, especially years past the situation. Wary - maybe, careful - probably, but hostile and hateful, including people that have nothing to do with the past events - hardly justifiable. And if you discriminate, provoke and express hate towards others it's your responsibility too, no matter what historical memory holds.

Germany invaded stuff twice, France invaded countries, Western empires held colonies until very late, Turky occupies Cyprus currently, The US invades left and right, the Horde consumed a lot of countries, yet history isn't normally seen as a valid reason for bigotry, hate and discrimination in present. Unless all of these are applied to Russia, of course.
Seeing and picturing capitalist weakened Russia as the USSR on march is not true to reality, acting towards it as if is the Stalin's USSR is not ok, nor does it make stuff better.
And it's not like the hate towards Russia is based solely on facts or logical in nature by now.

Comic_Sans said:
Election campaigns are supposed to be a foreshadowing of what's to come.

Yeah, they're supposed to, but it's very obviously that it's not the case with extreme populists and hardly the case with Trump. And in the US the president isn't to decide everything by himself anyway. Plus there's the cultural inertia still at work somehow.

Comic_Sans said:
And I have already said twice that it is currently unclear whether the NATO forces will continue to be stationed there or not, for reasons that I have already stated above.

By the way - did Trump say anywhere that he will dissolve NATO? I genuinely don't know. But he doesn't in the interview you've linked, he only says that he wants the others to pay too. (Obama expressed similar ideas, this I remember.)

Comic_Sans said:
I am speaking from my own experience when I say this.

Then again, this is probably a hard concept for you to grasp, seeing how you, according to your profile, are from Russia yourself (I am not saying this to insult you).

Aren't you from Sweden? I believe Sweden was an expanding empire at some point. I don't think that Sweden has been invaded much too, though I may be mistaken.
I wouldn't call Sweden a small country.

On my part I can concede that you would hardly be familiar with how much shit is thrown at Russians daily by foreign and local "critics" and what levels of insanity has it reached. Not an experience many nations or ethnicities have, I suppose.
Feb 19, 2017 11:28 AM

Mar 2014
deadoptimist said:
There're no good reasons to be hostile towards a whole nation, especially years past the situation. Wary - maybe, careful - probably, but hostile and hateful, including people that have nothing to do with the past events - hardly justifiable. And if you discriminate, provoke and express hate towards others it's your responsibility too, no matter what historical memory holds.
So far Russia hasn't been acting especially friendly either, e.g. they keep on bickering Estonia and Latvia for not treating its Russian citizens well despite the fact that they have yet to issue an apology for the (in my eyes more horrible crimes) they committed against the Baltic population during the occupation years.

Like I said, I don't think Russian baltics deserve to be treated like shit since I don't believe in collective/heritable guilt, but it's easy to see why Estonians/Latvians/Lithuanians generally don't like Russia.
Germany invaded stuff twice, France invaded countries, Western empires held colonies until very late, Turky occupies Cyprus currently, The US invades left and right, the Horde consumed a lot of countries, yet history isn't normally seen as a valid reason for bigotry, hate and discrimination in present. Unless all of these are applied to Russia, of course.
Both Germany and France have evolved since the 1940s. Comparing Merkel's Germany to the Third Reich or contemporary France to the Vichy Regime is comparing apples and basketballs. Russia, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have changed much since its Soviet days, in many ways it's still a corrupt authoritarian shithole.

Yes, Western empires did indeed hold colonies until very late, but the majority (if not all) of those colonies were third world countries in other parts of the world, so people didn't care nearly as much as they would have had said colonial empires held colonies in Europe instead. No, I am not saying this is a good thing, but then again, the human race isn't exactly well-known for its compassion.

Plenty of people are suspicious towards Turkey and the U.S. Have you been living under a rock?
Seeing and picturing capitalist weakened Russia as the USSR on march is not true to reality, acting towards it as if is the Stalin's USSR is not ok, nor does it make stuff better.
And it's not like the hate towards Russia is based solely on facts or logical in nature by now.
I don't think Russia is literally USSR 2.0 either. However, that's not what we're discussing here, we're discussing why the Baltic states are fearing a Russian invasion and whether their fright is understandable or not.
Yeah, they're supposed to, but it's very obviously that it's not the case with extreme populists and hardly the case with Trump. And in the US the president isn't to decide everything by himself anyway. Plus there's the cultural inertia still at work somehow.
Nobody thought Trump was being serious when he said he was going to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall either. Guess what, it looks like he's going to try to do it with it anyway!

People have no idea what he's going to do next, that's why they're suspicious towards him.
By the way - did Trump say anywhere that he will dissolve NATO? I genuinely don't know. But he doesn't in the interview you've linked, he only says that he wants the others to pay too. (Obama expressed similar ideas, this I remember.)
It was at the beginning at his campaign that he said he wanted to pull out of NATO because it was obsolete http://www.factcheck.org/2016/05/whats-trumps-position-on-nato/

This was only at the beginning though, I think he's softened his stance on the matter but he remained critical of NATO throughout his whole campaign so it makes sense for people to be suspicious of what he'll do next.
Aren't you from Sweden? I believe Sweden was an expanding empire at some point. I don't think that Sweden has been invaded much too, though I may be mistaken.
I wouldn't call Sweden a small country.
It's true that Sweden hasn't really been invaded or participated in any wars ever since Russia "stole" Finland from us in 1809. However, there's always been a feeling of fear that someone might try to invade us which is why we've always made sure to try to remain as neutral as possible (at least on the surface). If anything, the Swedish mass media's current obsession with Russia tells plenty.

One of my parents is French and I've noticed that the general public's attitude is very different since France doesn't have the same history as Sweden does when it comes to this sort of thing, not to mention that my family is very acquainted – or at least used to be – with the Baltic countries (Lithuania in particular).

Yes, surfacely we are one of the biggest countries in Europe, however, our population is very small compared to other European countries.
On my part I can concede that you would hardly be familiar with how much shit is thrown at Russians daily by foreign and local "critics" and what levels of insanity has it reached. Not an experience many nations or ethnicities have, I suppose.
No, I think I can actually relate to you to a certain extent seeing how we Swedes also get a lot of flak because of the stupid shit that our government and random XYZ gender queer leftist activists pull on a daily basis. (Although I'd say you Russians receive more hate overall)
Comic_SansFeb 19, 2017 11:44 AM
Nico- said:
Feb 19, 2017 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Like I said, I don't think Russian baltics deserve to be treated like shit since I don't believe in collective/heritable guilt, but it's easy to see why Estonians/Latvians/Lithuanians generally don't like Russia.

As I've also said the issue is not "not liking", it's the form their hate takes and them being provocative and unreasonable because of it. Russia is not responsible for them creating hereditary non-citizens, it's their fault.
And, erm, bickering in favour of human rights doesn't seem to be an act of unfriendliness. Shouldn't all of us want people to have equal rights?

About the apology - Russia was not defeated in a hot war, the fall of the USSR is celebrated in the West as a clean victory, but it's a muddy event. For a cold war a weak humiliation of the fallen. Now you might think that not fighting in a hot war to get rid of the USSR would be seen as a good thing and people won't push for the same treatment as if they did and won, but they do.
Getting Russia to bow again after the 90-s would take for it to be broken economically or in a military way or may happen naturally later if Russia can overcome its identity crisis without pressure making it stubborn out of pride. There're also certain differences in understanding of the USSR, even if we agree that it was bad.

Maybe the Baltics want revenge using their new allies. But you'd think that after 26 years of freedom and joining whatever union they aimed for they could find a better cause and a better vision. And as I've said multiple times, most countries had to rebuilt after bad events.

But well, that's my point - I don't really understand how the demonization of Russia helps anyone. But then it's easy and, as you say, nobody cares if it's not the first world.

Comic_Sans said:
Russia, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have changed much since its Soviet days, in many ways it's still a corrupt authoritarian shithole.

Not appreciated, not exactly true - we don't have labor camps in Siberia anymore, nor do we have a special ideology. Also Russia has tried to integrate into the west in the 90-s, it failed terribly. Putin was pro-western until around thebombings of Kosovo, then expressed his change in stance in his Munich speech.
But I am aware that actual knowledge about Russia is lost among propaganda.

Comic_Sans said:
It's true that Sweden hasn't really been invaded or participated in any wars ever since Russia "stole" Finland from us in 1809. However, there's always been a feeling of fear that someone might try to invade us which is why we've always made sure to try to remain as neutral as possible (at least on the surface). If anything, the Swedish mass media's current obsession with Russia tells plenty.

C'mon, Sweden was very aggressive at the time of Charles XII, Russia struggled a lot. Considering that our somewhat victorious battle was at Poltava, it's amazing how far Swedish forces would venture then.
Feb 19, 2017 2:29 PM

Mar 2014
deadoptimist said:
As I've also said the issue is not "not liking", it's the form their hate takes and them being provocative and unreasonable because of it. Russia is not responsible for them creating hereditary non-citizens, it's their fault.
And, erm, bickering in favour of human rights doesn't seem to be an act of unfriendliness. Shouldn't all of us want people to have equal rights?

About the apology - Russia was not defeated in a hot war, the fall of the USSR is celebrated in the West as a clean victory, but it's a muddy event. For a cold war a weak humiliation of the fallen. Now you might think that not fighting in a hot war to get rid of the USSR would be seen as a good thing and people won't push for the same treatment as if they did and won, but they do.
Getting Russia to bow again after the 90-s would take for it to be broken economically or in a military way or may happen naturally later if Russia can overcome its identity crisis without pressure making it stubborn out of pride. There're also certain differences in understanding of the USSR, even if we agree that it was bad.
I do think people should have equal rights, I have said so myself. However, in return, Russia should apologize for what they did to the Baltics during the Soviet period – regardless of whether it might hurt Russia's pride or not. If Russia wants to make certain demands after that then I won't have any problems with it.
Maybe the Baltics want revenge using their new allies. But you'd think that after 26 years of freedom and joining whatever union they aimed for they could find a better cause and a better vision. And as I've said multiple times, most countries had to rebuilt after bad events.

But well, that's my point - I don't really understand how the demonization of Russia helps anyone. But then it's easy and, as you say, nobody cares if it's not the first world.
I don't think so either. However, that's not what my initial point was about.
Not appreciated, not exactly true - we don't have labor camps in Siberia anymore, nor do we have a special ideology. Also Russia has tried to integrate into the west in the 90-s, it failed terribly. Putin was pro-western until around thebombings of Kosovo, then expressed his change in stance in his Munich speech.
But I am aware that actual knowledge about Russia is lost among propaganda.
I am (somewhat, at least) aware of that, but that doesn't change the fact that Russia still has its fair share of problems with democracy and corruption.
C'mon, Sweden was very aggressive at the time of Charles XII, Russia struggled a lot. Considering that our somewhat victorious battle was at Poltava, it's amazing how far Swedish forces would venture then.
Yes, but that was back in the 1600s-1700s when we were still an imperial power, much has changed since then.

Most Swedes have an extreme fear of conflict – I think that's one of the reasons why it took so long before anybody (not counting Sverigedemokraterna) managed to muster enough courage up to challenge the status quo and suggest that open borders combined with a strong welfare state may not be such a good idea.
Nico- said:
Feb 19, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2014

Wrote an answer, but decided to edit it out, since it's useless and it's late and I don't want to continue shitpost about politics tomorrow. A nice day to you, when you come back as well.
deadoptimistFeb 19, 2017 3:55 PM
Feb 19, 2017 3:55 PM

Mar 2014
deadoptimist said:
Wrote an answer, but decided to edit it out, since it's useless and it's late and I don't want to continue shitpost about politics tomorrow. A nice day to you, when you come back as well.
I wish you a pleasant night too
Comic_SansFeb 19, 2017 4:00 PM
Nico- said:
Feb 20, 2017 4:56 AM

Mar 2009
I'm with Trump with this one. NATO is obsolete and it should be dissolved.
Russia's not a threat to anyone and if the US is to do anything with them, is to try and become friends instead of opposing them.
Then a Trump and Putin alliance could work together against EU and end the German tyranny. End EU itself while they're at it.
Also Ukraine is not in NATO and NATO has no business stirring up shit in Russia's neighborhood.
Russia has a right to defend itself and its people in Ukraine from the neonazis and pro-European traitors.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Feb 20, 2017 11:13 AM

May 2010
Pirating_Ninja said:
While I agree that NATO nations should start pulling more of the weight, at the same time the US pretty much drags NATO into shit they start (and ironically leaves them to deal w/ the mess, i.e. refugee crisis), so I don't think the US has a leg to stand on here. (I would actually find it interesting to see an analysis of how much US' decisions cost NATO members who disagreed w/ the US in certain instances, like Iraq)
And how many of those countries stood up for us in 2001?

The 9/11 attack was considered an attack on NATO itself, and yet only a few countries bothered to get involved. The knew the problem was bigger than one country, and they chose to hide away from it. It bit them in the end, but perhaps it wouldn't have if they had stood up and done something when the time had came.
Feb 20, 2017 11:38 AM

Nov 2009
Thrashinuva said:
Pirating_Ninja said:

The 9/11 attack was considered an attack on NATO itself, and yet only a few countries bothered to get involved. The knew the problem was bigger than one country, and they chose to hide away from it. It bit them in the end, but perhaps it wouldn't have if they had stood up and done something when the time had came.
I'm sorry, and what did Iraq have to do with 9/11?
Feb 20, 2017 11:40 AM

May 2010
Pirating_Ninja said:
Thrashinuva said:

Iraq isn't part of NATO.
Feb 20, 2017 12:07 PM

Nov 2009
Thrashinuva said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Iraq isn't part of NATO.
Well neither is India, but we didn't invade India after 9/11.
Feb 20, 2017 1:37 PM

May 2010
Pirating_Ninja said:
Thrashinuva said:
Iraq isn't part of NATO.
We didn't invade a lot of places after 9/11.
Feb 20, 2017 2:27 PM

Nov 2009
Thrashinuva said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
For good reason. I'm still lost as to why NATO not joining the Iraqi invasion = them not showing support for 9/11.
Feb 20, 2017 2:33 PM

Jan 2012
deadoptimist said:
AllenVonStein said:

Not sure, why you mention me..

first becz you from Russia

second cuz you are the only russian who hung in CE and discuss politics from time to time

third you were happy about trump-putin relation but nope not gonna happen as title say

In Europe, Pence says US will hold Russia accountable

was just watching some Swedish news about Russia , i didn't watch everything but they mentioned that Putin killed some journalist and his only opponent

well that's not surprising.

Europe biggest threat is Russia and this has been going for some time and need solution
AllenVonSteinFeb 20, 2017 2:37 PM

Feb 20, 2017 2:51 PM

Jul 2014

Man, it's been three days, you gotta engage in the political flame war you start sooner and it's a weekday already too.

Really? It seemed to me that there were other Russians, but I am not sure.

We have an aggregator site that translates news, mostly about Russia but also other interesting stuff, including some texts by Swedish press, so I can imagine.
Feb 20, 2017 3:02 PM

Sep 2009
Comic_Sans said:
Zelev said:
I don't get the joke
Altairius said:

If there is an invasion, I don't think it will be because Putin wants a cut of that sweet, sweet timber cash and a couple of Estonian software engineers. Controlling the Baltic states would provide a land route to the Kaliningrad exclave, giving him year-round access to a warm water port in the western hemisphere. Depending on your definition this would make Russia a 'super power' once again, and at the very least would make them stronger militarily.

Altairius said:

Cucking out =/= being more presidential

Pence might be a mole, honestly. He might have been forced on Trump, along with some of his other picks. It would explain a lot.

Feeling a bit of buyer's remorse, eh?

Making incendiary comments may please angry voters, but it doesn't help the world run smoothly. Trump is probably aware of this and has asked Pence to say these things so that Europe doesn't get skittish.

Europe is a danger to itself? If my estimation of your politics is correct, then I would've thought the Baltic states and Poland would be a shining example of ethnocentrism, or whatever you call it this week.
AnnoKanoFeb 20, 2017 3:09 PM
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 20, 2017 3:18 PM

Mar 2014
AnnoKano said:
If there is an invasion, I don't think it will be because Putin wants a cut of that sweet, sweet timber cash and a couple of Estonian software engineers. Controlling the Baltic states would provide a land route to the Kaliningrad exclave, giving him year-round access to a warm water port in the western hemisphere. Depending on your definition this would make Russia a 'super power' once again, and at the very least would make them stronger militarily.
That's a good point, but for now, I think the negatives outweigh the positives from Putin's viewpoint (or at least I hope so)
Nico- said:
Feb 20, 2017 3:23 PM

Jul 2014
AnnoKano said:
Controlling the Baltic states would provide a land route to the Kaliningrad exclave, giving him year-round access to a warm water port in the western hemisphere. Depending on your definition this would make Russia a 'super power' once again, and at the very least would make them stronger militarily.

I would love to live in the Russia that is able to beat NATO, doesn't have a shit economy, lacks only the route to Kaliningrad to become a superpower.
Feb 20, 2017 3:39 PM

Sep 2009
Thrashinuva said:

The extent that one can call 9/11 an attack on NATO itself is dubious. For one thing, a terror attack isn't quite the same as a declaration of war. Some NATO members did not contribute to the Iraq war, but most of them did.

List of NATO countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-National_Force_%E2%80%93_Iraq#List_of_countries_in_the_coalition

NATO countries that did not participate in the war in Iraq: Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Greece, Turkey and Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-National_Force_%E2%80%93_Iraq#List_of_countries_in_the_coalition

NATO countries that did not participate in the war in Afghanistan: None.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Security_Assistance_Force#Contributing_nations

Worth noting that all of the Baltic states, Poland, Albania, Georgia and the former Warsaw pact countries all participated in both the war in Iraq and in Afghanistan, even though some of them were not NATO members at the time and had no obligations to do so. Yet now when they are the ones in need, you throw up your hands and say "Well, what have they ever done for us?".

deadoptimist said:

I would love to live in the Russia that is able to beat NATO, doesn't have a shit economy, lacks only the route to Kaliningrad to become a superpower.

The concern is that NATO is going to collapse, so that problem is solved for you.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that the Russian economy is weakened by sanctions, internal corruption, and a shrinking number of trading partners. Sanctions are likely to be lifted by Trump, and if the EU collapses then you will have ample trading opportunities with the detritus. Not much you can do about the corruption unfortunately, I think it takes decades to escape that vicious cycle.

But you know, I'm a mere observer here. Tell me more.
AnnoKanoFeb 20, 2017 3:45 PM
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 20, 2017 4:02 PM

May 2010
Pirating_Ninja said:
Thrashinuva said:
For good reason. I'm still lost as to why NATO not joining the Iraqi invasion = them not showing support for 9/11.
As well as you should be. Why would NATO join the Iraqi invasion?
AnnoKano said:
Thrashinuva said:

The extent that one can call 9/11 an attack on NATO itself is dubious. For one thing, a terror attack isn't quite the same as a declaration of war. Some NATO members did not contribute to the Iraq war, but most of them did.
Regardless of your opinion, NATO themselves declared it as such.
Feb 20, 2017 4:20 PM

Jul 2014
AnnoKano said:
The concern is that NATO is going to collapse, so that problem is solved for you.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that the Russian economy is weakened by sanctions, internal corruption, and a shrinking number of trading partners. Sanctions are likely to be lifted by Trump, and if the EU collapses then you will have ample trading opportunities with the detritus. Not much you can do about the corruption unfortunately, I think it takes decades to escape that vicious cycle.

But you know, I'm a mere observer here.

Nah, you're right, though corruption should be first, and there's the problem with industry being worn down, some integral parts of chains of production lost, technology been outdated, etc. Basically it's devastation because of long neglect and continous poor management. Russia of today sure isn't a growing industrial power like the USSR were (though nowadays it also would've had to be post-industrial to be relevant, I guess). And in the current situation the country simply doesn't support the levels of thieving that people with power still try to pull off.
The problem of not being able to export technologies, machinery and parts has not hit in full force yet, but it will.
And let's not forget that Russia is already involved in two costly conflicts.

I don't see the collapse of NATO or Europe as realistic any time soon. And making Russia into a unifying great enemy is a factor in their integrity that is likely to be used.
I don't think that Trump will be able to lift sanctions either. There's little benefit for him, he is not new to going back on his word, supporting them is a good cheap way to look strong.

But, well, that was an off-hand comment (I am reading a boring paper at 3 a.m.), it's just that Russia sure is pictured as more healthy than it is in alarmist scenarios. As to why and how it has come to it is another question.
deadoptimistFeb 20, 2017 4:23 PM
Feb 20, 2017 7:12 PM

Apr 2014
AnnoKano said:
Feeling a bit of buyer's remorse, eh?

Making incendiary comments may please angry voters, but it doesn't help the world run smoothly. Trump is probably aware of this and has asked Pence to say these things so that Europe doesn't get skittish.

Europe is a danger to itself? If my estimation of your politics is correct, then I would've thought the Baltic states and Poland would be a shining example of ethnocentrism, or whatever you call it this week.

No, Trump has been even better than I thought he would be. I just think some of his picks are not what he would ideally want, and more the result of him playing the game. Bannon and Sessions are the types he actually wants.

Eastern Europe is fine. I'm referring to Western Europe. I doubt even you are going to pretend there is no problem there at this point.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.