Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 23, 2017 5:34 AM

Mar 2013
It was nice episode. The speech by the teacher made me emotional. Rei's lucky to have various supports throughout the anime
Feb 26, 2017 12:02 AM

Jul 2008
Akari you are quite sharp.
Feb 26, 2017 2:50 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Rei´s sensei was great!!!

Third match, and another lost game and Kai has difficult to win the championship!!!! :(
Mar 1, 2017 2:22 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Interesting episode

Using past experience and past board layouts is a great way to teach students on how to react when such a layout appears in front of them. The little argument between Nikado and his fellow student was funny though. The fight between the cats though was hillarious. Guess there was only one way of stopping that argument. Stimulate the speech center with a cactus lol. That will certainly be stimulating. Nikaido as a steam bun eh lol. It seems that Rei's words certainly made an impact on the group though. Shimada sure looks like he hasn't slept at all. Stayed up all night trying to figure out the problem eh.

Shogi like all board games is the type of sport that can change in an instant so thinking that you can easily win two matches is perhaps a bit risky. But for Shimada to lose two matches in a row though thats certainly bad. Shimada's image of Yamagata sure is pretty green eh. The animation effects are as cool as always this time with Rei fighting against a torrent lol. To think that was all a dream of Rei though. Facing a rank A player is certainly different though but its nice to see Rei stand firm though. The third of the Lion matches should be interesting though. Its nice that Rei's teacher keeps trying to involve him with school events though but it does certainly count as bullying to a degree lol. Still its thanks to him that Rei managed to pass this year at least. Compared to the teacher Rei sure has done a lot more things and is more responsible in his life too. Though a loss will be bad for Shimada whatever the outcome it will be a good learning experience for Rei.

Hmm Seeing Hina and Momo visit Rei's apartment though. Collecting the bento boxes was a nice excuse though but i think Hina was simply worried about Rei. Watching Rei trying to decide on what drinks to serve them was funny though. Seeing Rei remember Kyouko as he tries to decide that was funny though. Ah so it was Kyouko that ended up eating most of the lunch eh. Man Hina was certainly nervous though.
So the burning question that Hina had was to ask who the girl that Rei was with last time Hina and her family saw them eh. Hardly surprising i guess. From that time it certainly looked like they were arguing to Hina. Lol Momo thinking that Kyouko was a witch. Its funny where this convo ended up though as it went to Momo revealing that Hina cries when she loses arguments against Akari. Lol Hina's reaction though. Hina seems pretty happy that kyouko was actually just Rei's sister though. Akari's reaction was funny though. True to Akari Kyouko and Rei's interactions were like two strangers than siblings. Its nice that to see that Akari has realized the reason why Rei left his home though. So in the end Shimada had to concede the game eh. Too bad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2017 2:49 PM

Aug 2010
Dat star wars reference xD

Digging into that "brother-sister" relationship seems like Akari has it all figured out...gaaah those sisters sure pack a punch of kawaii i love them so much :D
Mar 8, 2017 6:50 AM

Aug 2015
Great episode!
I want to know if anyone knew the music we hear at the end. "Furusato"? Is it known music?

Thanks!

5/5
Mar 15, 2017 4:50 AM
Jul 2018
TuyNOM said:
Great episode!
I want to know if anyone knew the music we hear at the end. "Furusato"? Is it known music?

Thanks!

5/5

it's a Japanese folk song, so it's a well-known one in Japan.
First time I heard this is while watching Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge. Heheheh
Mar 19, 2017 7:12 AM
Feb 2015
xMusicMohawk said:
Dat star wars reference xD

Digging into that "brother-sister" relationship seems like Akari has it all figured out...gaaah those sisters sure pack a punch of kawaii i love them so much :D
me too no misunderstandings
Mar 21, 2017 6:33 AM

Mar 2015
Rei really does have a kind teacher

Plus as usual, the sisters are always there for him
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 5, 2017 7:25 AM

May 2012
Damn what an episode, especially that ending was interesting! Looking forward to see what the last four episodes will offer!
Apr 13, 2017 11:44 PM

Jan 2014
Akari realized the reason why Rei left the house, it's because Rei and Kyouko has a twist relationship between them. they're siblings, but not look like a siblings.
Jun 9, 2017 5:32 AM

Apr 2012
1st part of the episode was slow and boring, I liked the 2nd part..
Oct 19, 2017 1:13 PM

Nov 2011
The arrival of Hinata and Momo at Rei's home was a hassle, the story was too cranky and sad the moment before. The professor is just a good person because he bets his flaws, and comforts Rei's tormented soul, I have the utmost respect for him.
Dec 23, 2017 2:57 AM

Aug 2017
Sometimes I find this show very boring, maybe because it’s too slow or because I don’t know much about shougi. But still the second part was interesting.
Aug 23, 2018 6:09 PM

Apr 2015
Squirrely Teacher is my new waifu.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 25, 2018 10:38 AM

Jun 2011
Is this a reference to Mickey Mouse?

Rei needs to stop crying so much. I'm just not into the crybaby, depressive type characters, I just can't relate to them especially since I have no experience with clinical depression.

"Then you wanna go? To Mouseland?" You mean Mickey Mouse Land or Disney Land, right?
Angry_Anime_NerdSep 25, 2018 10:59 AM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Jan 2, 2019 5:55 PM

Jun 2015
seeing the various people in this show who give rei emotional support or assistance is very heartwarming
Feb 20, 2019 2:20 PM
Apr 2018
So Hina was jealous?? Akari is amazing: she was able to see right through Rei's behaviour but I wonder how come he had never told the sisters about his half-siblings.
Mar 14, 2019 6:32 PM

Jan 2019
Nikaidou : "SO you wanted to say something abstract to sound like a genius HUH?!"

Migeta : *picks up cactus*

Shimada: "OI PUT MY CACTUS DOWN"

bahahahaha

HAHAHA i couldnt stop laughing i had to watch it a couple of times xD
Mar 27, 2019 12:36 PM

Feb 2013
At least Hina and Momo are less worried now but Akari's worries got worse, she figured out everything.
Shimada lost again.
Jun 4, 2019 10:08 PM

Sep 2017
I love Nikaidou and Morio arguing so much. They're like two bickering siblings. Was it Rei or Shimada that passed out the checkmate in 45 moves thing? Wonder what Rei meant by "disturbing." I don't exactly have the mind of a shogi player. I feel bad for Shimada. I really wanted him to be able to play in his hometown, but that looks like it isn't happening. It just shows how much of a monster Souya is. If Shimada was that much better than Rei and Souya is that much better than Shimada, it just comes to show how skilled of a shogi player Souya is.
Oct 3, 2019 7:44 AM

Jul 2015
The star wars reference was good

The three sisters now know who that witch is, at least momo and hina don't worry about that anymore, Akari understands why Rei left and her worry got a little bit bigger

Oct 14, 2019 6:25 PM

Sep 2018
I can't appreciate shogi game. They explain the basic and such but the actual games with letters and numbers.. I don't get it!
I love the animation whenever they have match.. the over the top representation of their match is good.

Hina and Momo visit his apartment!! Cutieee~
Feb 14, 2020 10:46 AM

Nov 2017
I now wonder what the thing about that piece on the shogi board is that feels a bit off to Rei?

The quality of this series is ridiculous. It turns the mundane into the spectacular.
Apr 16, 2020 2:31 AM

Oct 2014
I hope Mr. Shimada will be okay, I've grown really fond of him ToT
Sep 14, 2020 2:03 PM

May 2018
Another great episode. Lol at the squirrel TV show and everyone at the workshop arguing
Jan 1, 2021 3:47 AM
Apr 2020
Sensei on his 17 is literally me on my 17, haha.
Mar 28, 2021 1:42 PM

Aug 2018
So.. You wanted to ask Souya something.. Now you want to ask Shimada something.. What exactly?..
Well.. Rei indeed did a lot.. And maybe even too much, in my opinion.. I think his school is taking too much from him, and giving nothing in return, really..
Well.. Conflicts between Rei and Kyouko are a bit more extreme than just siblings arguing.. But ok.. I mean.. I don't really have end view on this conflict, to be honest.. I don't really keep either Rei nor Kyouko as some villain or something.. But they both really can become one in a short moment.. What they have now.. Really can go in any direction.. And too hard too say for me, where it'll go, really.. And maybe Rei accepting it as part of relationships, not just hating Kyouko.. I have a feeling this might be not too bad for them both..
Yeah, Akari.. Rei in part left his home due to relationships with other family members.. Along some other things.. Like how he was influencing their life, for example.. Not only because his relationships with Kyouko were strained.. But also because of this.. One adds to another.. All - in my opinion.. We also don't know full story yet, maybe there is more..
Gum?.. Why would squirrel sensei like gum?.. ;P
Dec 31, 2021 1:32 PM
Nov 2020
another great episode
Apr 18, 2022 6:49 AM

May 2021
Now that friends are made, next comes communication and verbalizing of thoughts. Damn, even I suck at this now but best of luck to him, I suppose.

Dec 31, 2022 2:04 AM

Aug 2018
Nice and entertaining episode, great seeing that extra moment from Sensei's and Rei's relationship that proves us even more why hes a true father figure to him.

Also great Star Wars reference I guess
Jan 10, 2023 2:43 PM

Jan 2021
Well at least he passed.
Feb 20, 2023 6:22 PM

Dec 2018
Akari is sharp as expected. Kyouko is literally toxic as fuck. Mf belongs to Evangelion.
. . .
Jun 30, 2023 6:58 AM

Jun 2020
I think the most heartwarming from this episode for me is the moment when Rei thought that he didn't accomplish anything, then the teacher told him that Rei worked hard and did his best. I often thought the same as Rei, barely reach my own goals and standard then it makes me wondering what am I even doing with my life. It's kinda difficult to put it in words, and English isn't my first language, but it just hits me really hard. I think Rei, me, and all of people too, need to appreciate the effort we put to keep on living no matter how simple it is.

Did Rei ever tell Akari about Kyouko, though? I think I can see why she doesn't get any hints of siblings energy between them. It's just toxic relationship all the way.

Also I feel bad to Shimada. The Hometown song melody at the end gives me vibes that is hard to explain. Is it an already existed song?

Well, the entire anime is actually really complicated for me, lol. Sometimes it makes me sleepy, sometimes it feels too slow, sometimes I almost cried at some parts.
Sep 14, 2023 9:14 AM

Dec 2022
Does Hina have a secret crush on Rei but thinks she has a crush on the baseball dude? Otherwise I don't see why it'd matter if Rei was arguing with a girl or with his adoptive sibling. Either way, cute.
Oct 26, 2023 12:10 PM
Jan 2021
anasheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dec 31, 2023 7:47 AM
Jul 2017
just getting bland now they keep superficial analysis of everything
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.