Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Mar 6, 2020 8:01 PM

Sep 2017
I find it kind of funny that an anime original movie is waaaaaaaay better than any other part of SAO (excluding Alicization, which I haven't seen yet). This movie was great. It had great animation and action with a good soundtrack and likable characters (for once, the villain isn't a total twat!). At the end of the day, it's still SAO, so it isn't a masterpiece of anything, but I could genuinely see myself re-watching this some day unlike the previous showings where I just watched them to check something off a list. Damn enjoyable movie, 7/10.

Mar 19, 2020 5:08 PM

Sep 2014
This way actually way better than I remembered.

SAOs final boss was supposed to be Heathcliff. Not that thing here.

But otherwise it tied in everything so far quite well.
Personally all those ALO and GGO players showing up was a bit over the top but Asuna using Zekkens skill was nice.
Animation and OST is still solid.

And once again it showed that Aincrad is actually what makes SAO good. (I saw Alicization, everone talking about AI and ignoring Yui lmao)
Though I still hope to see a more in depth take on it one day, the potential is still untapped.

PS: Agil is still the man. No shame in going to a virtual idol concert with a bunch of teenagers.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 5, 2020 11:21 AM

Apr 2020
Movie was a huge fan service to people that loved season 1. That much is clear. Also, pretty sure Heathcliff was supposed to be the final boss. If I remember correctly, he was going to betray the players upon getting to the final boss area on the top floor.

I'll admit that it was nice seeing all the players including Yuuki show up in the final battle. Also, while Yuuna's death was sad, why not just copy memories of people and bring her back as an AI? If you can scan memories and remove them from people, why not just make copies? Eiji should've known to that his memories were going to be needed since they were always together.

Finally, that ring he put on her finger.....was that an engagement ring or a promise ring? I'm hearing differing opinions. For me, I'd prefer it a promise ring.
Jun 28, 2020 12:26 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Surprisingly good movie, it had the OG vibes of SAO as well as the same thought-provoking themes of individuality and what it means to exist. After watching SAO II and GGO, the hype has surely returned wit this movie. onto Alicization.
Aug 10, 2020 10:19 AM

Aug 2017
I forgot what happened to Yuuna. Did she vanish or what? I loved her singing. But she showed up in SAO Aliicization underworld, and now I am trying to recall what happened.
Aug 10, 2020 10:22 AM

Jun 2020
Miss me with this shit, I can enjoy the show without watching the movie ahaha though I had literally no hype when these two nobodies came in cuz I was like who tf are these guys
This anime shit is addictive
Aug 17, 2020 3:17 AM
Apr 2019
love this movie..onto the season 3.
Sep 24, 2020 11:11 PM

Jan 2020
Been catching up to SAO lately, so I know I’m late to the party. I was surprised by this movie. Animation was better than the series, and I personally liked the AR concept because I have a preference towards them over VR. Anyway, the plot, like the tv series before it, has its issues; but the action scenes were pretty good. SAO just can’t do romance right though, and Kirito and Asuna’s moments together were quite cringeworthy, and I’m a fan of romance in anime. Oh well, not a bad watch.
Sep 27, 2020 6:22 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed this movie! I thought the 2 hour run time was good. I thought it was funny that they needed some excuse to villainize AR because they want VR to still be the main method in future seasons (haven't watched Alicized yet but that's my assumption).

The evil dad wanting to save his daughter was too easy of a plot line, and I agree the AR fighting had some plot armor because the physics made no sense.

I liked the romance despite it being cheesy, I feel like it was missing throughout season 2.

The nod to Yuuki when Asuna jumped into the action scenes towards the end was a nice touch.

Great action scenes and hype OST.

My only annoyance with finding a stream is that when trying to legally rent it on prime video, there is only the dub version. Wish netflix or CR just licensed it for US
Nov 10, 2020 12:49 AM

Mar 2020
Never expected Kanno Yuuki to appear again. This movie is enjoyable to say the least. I really wish that 100th boss floor appeared in the first season of SAO.

kioalneNov 10, 2020 12:53 AM
Nov 13, 2020 9:12 PM

May 2011
SAO, It's good to be back. I'm glad there's a whole bunch of content now since I last watched the Yuuki arc years ago. T_T

The final fight was hype with the unified front of all worlds. It's always good to see flashes of Kayaba/Heathcliff too.

On to the new arcs!

Jan 10, 2021 5:33 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The development of the story and romance was cliché as ever so something surprising, but at least it was enjoyable + good animation, even though it is 2 hours long it felt like 1h~
Apr 6, 2021 5:50 AM
Jan 2011
It is sad that this movie was better than the 1st 2 seasons of the anime
May 6, 2021 1:47 AM

Dec 2018
This is the worst anime movie I've ever seen. The number of plot holes is astronomical, I simply can't get myself to point them out. It took me 5 hours to watch this because the plot holes gave me actual depression.

The background art was pleasant. The animation is cool, but not memorable whatsoever because the choreography is asinine, The final fight was just stuff moving super fast and I couldn't understand a single thing.

The best part of the entirety of SAO [other than Mother's Rosario] is definitely the two seconds of Asuna's side nipple, had to rewatch that like ten times.

4/10, better than the first season.
May 8, 2021 10:10 AM
Jan 2020
Aside from the plotholes with AR, it's a great movie - especially the final battle at the end... It was wonderful seeing their friends from different games fight alongside them...
May 12, 2021 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
this really makes no sense, which is impressive how SAO continues to not make sense more and more with every new content it produces
Jul 28, 2021 10:47 PM
Feb 2021
The movie was brilliant, I absolutely loved it. Animation, Fight, story everything was top tier. In addition to that it was incredible to watch another Kirito and Asuna dynamics and they fulfilling their promise, putting the ring to each other, UUU I can't get enough of it. To be honest, I have no idea how many times I have rewatched this movie.
Jun 30, 2022 1:58 PM

Nov 2017
After the failed cinema for 5 years in France, I finally saw watching! It's an excellent film that I finally finish between the second season and the whole part of Alicization!
Oct 17, 2022 7:36 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
It would probably be a lot of broken bones and damaged property, but man having such an advanced online augmented reality game would be so much fun. Thinking about the details would probably tear the whole thing apart, but I like the idea of turning solid objects into other things in the game so that the player would know that there is something in the way, like turning a parked car into a pile of wooden barrels.

That wasn't too bad actually, can't deny it that it was a pretty fun two hours. If nothing else, it's worth it just to watch for some solid movie production quality; particularly in the aincrad boss fights of course. Those were well done. At the very least I think it was OK. Forgettable, cringe in typical SAO fashion, but still OK.

5/10

Kind of makes me want to pick up Alicization. Maybe one day. I wouldn't mind seeing Kirito dual-wield again.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 5, 2022 3:02 PM

Mar 2019
Nice start, I liked it. The animation and fights were on point as always, the OST was also nice, but that ending was just dumb.

It makes sense this isn't canon. There were 2 big inconsistencies that were kind of annoying for me. Right at the end of season 2, we see Kirito having dinner at Asuna's house, while introducing himself to her parents, but here he never met them. And then the 100th floor' boss. Akihiko made the game with himself as the boss for the 100 floor in mind, not some random big thing that makes no sense, I found it really annoying, but since it seems like it was an original movie, I don't mind it as much now. However I still didn't enjoy how everyone just appeared out of nowhere at the end, even the characters that were never relevant, and with the power of friendship defeated the boss.

It was fun to see Kirito changing from rank 2 to rank 1 and the fight between him and that annoying kid. And even if I didn't like the last boss fight, seeing Kirito in his old SAO clothes fight it using his skill was great. Akihiko's appearance here and there was also something I liked.

AND THEN THAT POST-CREDITS ENDING! So Kikuoka took the stage and created a VR world? Can't wait for Alicization.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 10, 2022 7:28 AM
Dec 2018
So was re-watching the movie and just remembered that Kayaba had said that he was gonna be the last boss on floor 100, so is the boss shown in the movie the actual boss whom Kayaba was gonna replace?
My Candies:
Nov 22, 2022 8:41 AM
Nov 2022
tak,tak,tak,tak
Jan 11, 2023 9:00 PM

Nov 2018
Really good film, definitely enjoyed this much more than SAO S1 & 2.

The action was awesome, the art and animation is definitely a big step up to what was released before. Music is always good.

Also, Asuna Nipple 😏😏😏

8/10

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 12, 2023 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
It's already Jan 13th, 2023 and we still don't have those techs available not even something as simple as Asuna's holographic calendar/clock. Reality is so disappointing!
I need Augma to happen in my goddamn lifetime! Shit man, we don't even have full dive tech available. At this rate, I think these techs will be available in around 2100s. lol
I need Yuna as my AI waifu!
25:53 Very nice Asuna fanservice. I want to suck her nipples!
29:17 How the heck is he so powerful? he can lift Klein with one hand and Klein must weigh around 80+kg. I wish I could lift 80 kg of dumbbells so easily.
1:18:04 Damn, I can't believe he didn't have sex with Asuna then and there. Kirito is such a wholesome person.
1:34:40 Is that a Marlboro from the FF games? I hate those things. Their bad breath attack was such a pain to deal with.
1:44:29 That is still the best outfit for Asuna. She's so sexy in it!
The story is alright. The animation is good and I like the fights and the sound effects, especially the final boss scenes. 7/10
Mar 25, 2023 12:04 AM
Jul 2022
THis movie is just very good, I liked the visuals, the fights and the soundtracks very GOODS
Sep 25, 2023 10:30 PM
Sep 2023
Good film, not the greatest
Nov 28, 2023 7:36 PM
Sep 2020
I liked the aspects of it.
Dec 7, 2023 5:26 PM
Jan 2023
It was a solid movie. Above average. It was what SAO could be. Enjoyable.
Dec 8, 2023 10:09 PM

Dec 2019
This was some 1984 + Black Mirror shit, everyone's terminally online and someone just keeps going around wanting to kill them.

That final boos fight was the most cheesy deus ex machina thing I could imagine. They even brought characters that were entirely unimportant to the general plot of the series to fight the last boss, lmfao.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
Dec 15, 2023 2:48 AM

Nov 2023
What an anime with awesome anime and fight choreography
Apr 6, 1:32 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 4
[Art/Animation] - 4.5
[Sound/Music] - 3.5
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 4
[Overall] - 4

The Story was to me the best one of all the series of SAO and Yuna role was great did not see that outcome near the end played out that way. This film is more about Asuna and her role played while Kirito is left to do clean up duty. The cinema animation was very good really like the city the cast lives in also many cool scenery shown, the boss fights were really fun and the last fight with the cast form season one and two was great to see. The post credits with the two of them meeting her parents and the ring was a nice moment.
CcCharlesApr 6, 1:47 AM
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» feel sorry for yuna

Nagiue - Dec 24, 2023

6 by ItzElite »»
Dec 24, 2023 3:01 PM

» plot hole

MCA5EY - Sep 21, 2018

10 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jul 30, 2023 9:40 AM

» Why R+ - Mild Nudity?

winfoharso - Mar 4, 2020

19 by Kirito_online »»
Aug 10, 2022 5:06 AM

» Somebody should fix the Source from Light novel to Original

KiraShitpostKage - Jul 20, 2020

1 by Nurguburu »»
Dec 4, 2020 11:51 AM

» About reviving yuuna

Kamikoto_kl - Feb 20, 2020

2 by EldritchNeko »»
Jul 19, 2020 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.